What example of plot induced stupidity (PIS) is your most/least liked in a film?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
A lot of people I speak to don't know what plot induced stupidity (PIS) is. Take Star Wars episode IV, for example:

"Hold your fire. Scans indicate no life forms on that escape pod that just launched."

"Sir, we just boarded a mock freighter that is a front for the Rebel Alliance. The Alliance has stolen Death Star plans that they plan to use to overthrow the Imperial government. You're telling me to leave that pod alone, even though we're arresting radical militants with plans of espionage? As if they wouldn't go to any means to protect their plans? How stupid are you, sir?"

"By gum, you're right, gunner. Open fire and blast the shit out of that pod! Lord Vader will give us promotions for this!"

"Yes, sir! Long live the Empire!"

Yeah. If it happened like that, we wouldn't have a saga. Hence, we have PIS.

So many movies have PIS in them. What are some examples of PIS that you like and dislike?

Tell us why!

Nephthys
Like: Obi-Wan not finishing off Anakin at the end of ROTS. I'm 0kay with this scene because Obi-Wan is a compassionate person and its clear that despite whats happened he still loves Anakin as a brother and can't bare to crawl down a hill and coldly execute him like that. Its definately an understandable and human mistake for him to make, even if it was really dumb and he should have at least confirmed he was dead before leaving.

Dislike: Anakin or the Jedi never going back for his mother before AOTC. Thats just stupid.

Kazenji
Predator 2

A LA cop defeating a predator.

Esau Cairn
X-Men 1st Class.

At the beginning of the movie when Sebastian kills Eric's mother.
Eric shows his anguish & rage by killing the 2 soldiers but does NO HARM to Sebastian at all.

He then spends the rest of the movie & his adulthood hunting him down.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Kazenji
Predator 2

A LA cop defeating a predator.

Considering Danny Glover was the star of the movie & his character was a LA cop....that doesn't really call for plot induced stupidity.

You're forgetting too that the predator was heavily injured, had one hand severed & was missing his shoulder gun, even a rookie could've defeated it.

Kazenji
Its still PIS

i can understand maybe an elite soldier beating one but a LA cop erm

the book which the movies story is based on makes alot more sense with it being Dutch Schaefer's brother.

EvilAngel
Kill Bill - How a group of supposedly elite assassins leave what I would assume to be a hugely dangerous hit alive. I like it because it's just so painfully ironic. The merchants of death who can't even do it right without being paid. They should have kept her, she's apparently the only one beside the cyclops who is any good at her job =D

Indiana Jones; Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Refridgerator. Nuff said.

I will most certainly be back for more, but these are the only things that come to mind initially. Good thread idea.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Kazenji
Its still PIS

i can understand maybe an elite soldier beating one but a LA cop erm

the book which the movies story is based on makes alot more sense with it being Dutch Schaefer's brother.

Not neccessarily, by that time the Predator was heavily injured like Esau Cairn said, not to mention it didn't have it's invisibility cloak/laser which it relied on far too much. Also, did you see the hardware Harrigan carried around with him? And it's not as if he took it on hand to hand, he had a weapon at all times during his encounters.

If anything, you could say Dutch had PIS working for him more when the Pred was smacking him around like it was a structured fight, considering it aced Billy in an instant who only had a knife.

jaden101
Mine would be another star wars related one...Why didn't obi wan use force speed when qui gonn was fighting maul to get through the force fields in one shot? they were shown to be able to do it when they ran from the roller droids. if he did then qui gonn would still be alive and all the mess afterward would likely have been avoided. numpty

siriuswriter
Well, all the Harry Potter films were check your brain at the door unless you read the books, or had someone next to you in the theatre who could explain what was going on. So I don't know if that's a bad thing for the people whose brains had to be checked - or if all the poked holes made for an extremely confusing film set.

Can anyone comment regarding that?

Quincy
I get irked when I watch the dark knight and they don't blame two-face's murder streak on the joker.

I really like that flick so I try not to think about that. Someone want to explain that one to me?

mardook
Vanishing on 7th Street.

(SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT)

Much of the movie makes no sense. Although this is about Plot Induced Stupidity.

1. The scene where the lone female character goes running out onto the street because she hears her baby crying. She knows full well that her baby is long gone at this point, so this makes this scene extra stupid and obvious. I hate it when movies do this... nose diving moments like this kill the movies.

2. Another one happens later on in the movie when the little boy runs into the church thinking his mom is there... the plot does this so the Hayden Christiansen character gets offed next. Not that that is a real big issue.

Off-topic:
I wish someone would remake this movie... it had some legitimately creepy scenes. The hallway scene with Hayden's character at the news station is one.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Quincy
I get irked when I watch the dark knight and they don't blame two-face's murder streak on the joker.

I really like that flick so I try not to think about that. Someone want to explain that one to me?

The don't blame it on the Joker because it was Dent's decision to go completely mad. That was the point of the "nurse" scene, when the Joker helped Harvey lodge the gun against the Joker's forehead. He sincerely didn't care if he died - he just wanted to knock Dent of the sanity wagon... and once that happened, Two-Face's actions were his responsibility. Through the movie we get an example that perhaps Dent is not the shining knight he is portrayed to be - when he takes off in the ambulance with the paranoid schizophrenic and plays Russian Roulette with him - Batman has to come and explain that he's going to get no where through violence.

Quincy
Originally posted by siriuswriter
The don't blame it on the Joker because it was Dent's decision to go completely mad. That was the point of the "nurse" scene, when the Joker helped Harvey lodge the gun against the Joker's forehead. He sincerely didn't care if he died - he just wanted to knock Dent of the sanity wagon... and once that happened, Two-Face's actions were his responsibility. Through the movie we get an example that perhaps Dent is not the shining knight he is portrayed to be - when he takes off in the ambulance with the paranoid schizophrenic and plays Russian Roulette with him - Batman has to come and explain that he's going to get no where through violence.

I mean why did they think it was smarter to blame it on Batman, than on the Joker?

Myth
I mean why did they think it was smarter to blame it on Batman, than on the Joker?

I agree with this one.

Utrigita
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Not neccessarily, by that time the Predator was heavily injured like Esau Cairn said, not to mention it didn't have it's invisibility cloak/laser which it relied on far too much. Also, did you see the hardware Harrigan carried around with him? And it's not as if he took it on hand to hand, he had a weapon at all times during his encounters.

If anything, you could say Dutch had PIS working for him more when the Pred was smacking him around like it was a structured fight, considering it aced Billy in an instant who only had a knife.

Seriously, none noticed how the predator went from being a highly efficiant killer to worthless junk?

I mean it takes out the entire team that is meant to capture it, well aware of what limits it has in regards to it's cloaking, the next scene (where the cop is involved) the predator is suddenly standing like a complete moron "well I guess I never have experienced water before" then Harrigan, by some freaking miracle manages to hit the Predators laser cannon on the first burst fire he unleashes, etc. etc.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by mardook
Vanishing on 7th Street.

Much of the movie makes no sense. Although this is about Plot Induced Stupidity.

1. The scene where the lone female character goes running out onto the street because she hears her baby crying. She knows full well that her baby is long gone at this point, so this makes this scene extra stupid and obvious. I hate it when movies do this... nose diving moments like this kill the movies.

2. Another one happens later on in the movie when the little boy runs into the church thinking his mom is there... the plot does this so the Hayden Christiansen character gets offed next. Not that that is a real big issue.

Off-topic:
I wish someone would remake this movie... it had some legitimately creepy scenes. The hallway scene with Hayden's character at the news station is one.

I don't feel that both the plight of the mother & later the little boy fell on plot induced stupidity...

Neither the audience or the characters in the movie knew what was happening...or for that matter why it happened & why they seemed to be the only ones left alive.

The only reason & sense of reality both mother & little boy had was that one had a daughter & the other a mother who promised she'd come back. I mean in real life there's still parents who grasp on blind-hope that their missing child would one day just turn up or be found after years have past.

Lastly, I don't think a remake would do it justice. The low budget, the limited acting ability of the cast & the unknown of what actually happened wouldn't hold together with a bigger budget & better cast.

It was a good movie for what it was.

Myth
Any movie where tons of bad guys surround the good guy, yet the bad guys only attach one at a time.

One I really like (because it is making fun of the concept intentionally) is Austin Powers when Dr. Evil and Scott argue about how to kill Austin Powers. Scott suggests just shooting him, but Dr. Evil wants to do something slow and elaborate, which gives way for Powers to escape.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Utrigita
Seriously, none noticed how the predator went from being a highly efficiant killer to worthless junk?

Wasn't it implied somewhere that this was a young, in-experienced predator on his first hunt to prove his "manhood"?

That's why all the other Predators (at the end of the film, carrying his body away) never interfered.

Unlike the 1st Predator against Arnie who was a seasoned & skilled hunter/killer.

Esau Cairn
Not to mention the entire Fast & Furious series is just one big load of P.I.S.

Lord Shadow Z

I mean it takes out the entire team that is meant to capture it, well aware of what limits it has in regards to it's cloaking, the next scene (where the cop is involved) the predator is suddenly standing like a complete moron "well I guess I never have experienced water before" then Harrigan, by some freaking miracle manages to hit the Predators laser cannon on the first burst fire he unleashes, etc. etc.

I see your point but again, in the warehouse he had the CAR-15 (thank you wikipedia) with the grenade launcher, the desert eagle and the shotgun. He got the drop mainly because of the water taking out the stealth but thats not PIS, thats a precendent that was set in the first movie, water disrupts the stealth mode. The Predator wasn't standing still for Harrigan either, Harrigan used the meat to slow him down until he could get the shotgun into play and by that time the Pred had no weapon to even get to him from that position.

He also takes out the Pred in the ship because he's basically fighting an one-armed opponent and you easily imagine that he could almost treat that like a knife fight, and being in the 'warzone' as Harrigan calls his precinct you'd think he'd be able to fight those odds.

But the Dutch example is not so believable as a direct confrontation that looks like they are having an almost human fight, how hard would have been for the Pred to slip the wrist blades into his body when it managed that so easily against an armed opponent like Dillon? Or presumably Billy too?(we never get to see that but its's inferred that the Pred took him out man to alien so to speak)

Nemesis X
vzcWPKAv2Ow

There were a bunch of Stormtroopers there. Why they didn't think it was suspicious one of their guys was repeating what a civilian was saying is a mystery to me.

Nemesis X
From 2:12 to 3:00

ycXgJ2lDT7s

"Prepare to get eaten, Alice!"

"Wait! Uh, boss, shouldn't you try to incapaciate her so she doesn't do anything else before you attempt to do your thing?"

"She can't do anything now. She's unarmed."

"You know she's got a knife, that can be seen plain as day I may add, in her arm right? What if she pulls that out as a last resort and stabs you in the head with it? Here, how's about I shoot each of her limbs, starting with the arm that will grab the knife out? This way, we won't get a fifth movie."

"You may have a point. Commence!"

Mr. Rhythmic

I'd say because Batman represents the disorder of the city just by being there. Him and the Joker were on a playing field far beyond the cops, so to capture them both is to put Gotham back on the police's level.

Myth
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
I'd say because Batman represents the disorder of the city just by being there. Him and the Joker were on a playing field far beyond the cops, so to capture them both is to put Gotham back on the police's level.

This has never been explained so far, but one reason it could work for Batman to take the blame is so that it could instill more fear in criminals if they think he will actually kill them.

Esau Cairn
Pirates: On Stranger Tides.

Early in the movie when Jack escapes from the King of England's castle, he is weapon-less & being chased by the guards.

Jack runs down the stairs & passes a guard who yells out something like," Prisoner escaping!!! GUARDS!!!
This same guard then goes on to chase Jack.

Now for no logical reason but Plot Induced Stupidity the guard then takes his own weapons (sword & flintlock) & leaves them on a table then runs off screen (chasing after Jack).

Well lo & behold, there's Jack's hiding under the table, happily helping himself to said weapons left behind.

roughrider
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
X-Men 1st Class.

Eric shows his anguish & rage by killing the 2 soldiers but does NO HARM to Sebastian at all.

He then spends the rest of the movie & his adulthood hunting him down.

Well, he couldn't harm him anyway, with the way Shaw's power worked. Erik's power was raw and unfocused at the time, and they wanted the audience to find out gradually that Shaw was a mutant as well.

roughrider
Originally posted by Nemesis X
vzcWPKAv2Ow

There were a bunch of Stormtroopers there. Why they didn't think it was suspicious one of their guys was repeating what a civilian was saying is a mystery to me.

Because Obi Wan was influencing the minds of the other troopers as well?

roughrider
Originally posted by Impediment
A lot of people I speak to don't know what plot induced stupidity (PIS) is. Take Star Wars episode IV, for example:

"Hold your fire. Scans indicate no life forms on that escape pod that just launched."

"Sir, we just boarded a mock freighter that is a front for the Rebel Alliance. The Alliance has stolen Death Star plans that they plan to use to overthrow the Imperial government. You're telling me to leave that pod alone, even though we're arresting radical militants with plans of espionage? As if they wouldn't go to any means to protect their plans? How stupid are you, sir?"

"By gum, you're right, gunner. Open fire and blast the shit out of that pod! Lord Vader will give us promotions for this!"

"Yes, sir! Long live the Empire!"

Yeah. If it happened like that, we wouldn't have a saga. Hence, we have PIS.

Tell us why!

"You think this a democracy, soldier?? Lord Vader want those data plans in his hands. He wants proof of them before we do anything, and you question Lord Vader's orders at risk of your own life! If they were in there, we will go and recover them WHEN WE ARE ORDERED TO DO SO. Now, stop thinking you know better than your superiors and sit at your post, and wait for us to tell you what to do!!!"

"...Sir, Yes Sir."

Fixed. wink

Impediment

Nemesis X
Originally posted by roughrider
Because Obi Wan was influencing the minds of the other troopers as well?

I thought Jedi can only use Force influence on one person at a time.

roughrider
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I thought Jedi can only use Force influence on one person at a time.

Well, we haven't seen proof of that one way or the other, to my knowledge.

Now, I don't think any film this summer had more PIS than Green Lantern. But I won't bother summing up my opinion of it, when there's a really good analysis circulating the net about it! So, all credit to them here:

GREEN LANTERN - PLOT HOLES FOR DUMMIES (part 1 of 3)

Scene 1 - Ferris Air Base (Control Center)

Blake Lively's Dad: As head of Ferris Air, I want to sell my super-awesome drones to the military. So I'm going have Hal Jordan and my daughter Blake Lively, my own two test pilots, fight them and presumably lose.

Military Guy: Huh? Why would you do that? Why would we be okay with that? You could have just told your pilots to lose on purpose so we buy your drones. If you were even slightly intelligent, you would have definitely done that.

Blake Lively's Dad: Don't worry, gentlemen. Hal Jordan is such an a--hole, he will be unable to resist trying to win. I promise.

Scene 2 - Ferris Air Base (Blake Lively's Dad's Office); after Hal and Blake return from air drone training

Blake Lively's Dad: Well, Hal, you used my daughter as a decoy and then cheated to defeat the drones.

Blake Lively: Specifically, you used me as a decoy, but didn't actually use that to your benefit, meaning you had me shot down for no reason whatsoever.

Blake Lively's Dad: Now the military is going to refuse the contract, and I'm going to have to fire countless employees. Good men are going to lose their livelihoods because of you.

Blake Lively: And although you're supposedly such an awesome pilot, you had a total freakout for no reason whatsoever and ended up destroying your incredibly expensive plane, too.

Hal Jordan: (shrugs) Oh well. Whatcha gonna do?

Blake Lively's Dad: Christ, what an a--hole.

Scene 3 - Coast; Abin Sur's spacecraft crashed

Abin Sur: Hal Jordan. The ring has chosen you because you are fearless.

(1 minute earlier - inside an energy ball)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid of being in this crazy green energy ball!

(10 minutes earlier - during air training)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid of dying in a test plane like my dad!

(15 minutes after getting the ring - in a bar with Blake)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid of intimacy!

(25 minutes later - in Oa)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid of being a Green Lantern!

(30 minutes later - in Hal's apartment)
Hal Jordan: I'm afraid I suck as a Green Lantern!

Blake Lively: You do suck. Hard

Scene 4 - Outside a bar

Newly Unemployed Man: Hal Jordan, you needlessly cost us our jobs at Air Ferris, apparently just to be a dick. We are going to beat you up outside this bar.

Hal Jordan: Hyah! (tries to throw punch, ends up throwing giant green fist; men go flying into walls and car windows)

Newly Unemployed Man: Really? The first use of your superpower is going to beat several men who you got fired unconscious?

Hal Jordan: Guess so!

Newly Unemployed Man: Christ, what an a--hole. (falls unconscious)

Scene 5 - Government Laboratory

Hector Hammond: I am a quiet if awkward Xenobiology 101 teacher that shows no aggression or ill will toward anybody. I hope I don't get infected with an alien parasite that makes my head grow and makes me evil, because at the moment, I'm significantly more sympathetic than Hal Jordan! Now, to dissect this purple alien!

(sticks hand in Abin Sur's wound, immediately gets infected with Parallax)

Hector Hammond: Well, sh**.

roughrider
GREEN LANTERN - PLOT HOLES FOR DUMMIES (part 2 of 3)

Scene 6 - Oa; after Hal Jordan flies to Oa where 3,000 other Green Lanterns are gathered by Sinestro

Sinestro: Lanterns! There is a new evil loose in the universe. It's killed a few Green Lanterns including Abin Sur and two whole planets. It's coming here to Oa. So prepare yourself for battle. It may take our lives... but it will never take... our freedom!

3,000 Green Lantern Corps: Bravehea-- we mean Green Lantern Corps! Green Lantern Corps! Hurray for battle cries and making planets glow in the dark with our rings!

(a minute later)

Michael Clarke Kilowog: Hal Jordan, now that you've arrived on Oa, let's train for two minutes.

(they train for two minutes; Sinestro arrives)

Sinestro: Hal Jordan, Abin Sur was the greatest Green Lantern ever. You embarrass him by wearing his ring. And even though my name sounds pure evil, and though I also may look like a bad guy with my pencil-thin mustache, the fact is... I've been fighting for good in this whole movie so far. And since you've just been a huge douchebag throught the film, I am obviously right about my assessment. The audience even says I'm more likeable than you too, even though the Mom's think I look like an intergalactic pedophile.

Hal Jordan: This Green Lantern sh** is hard. I quit.

Sinestro: What?

Hal Jordan: Yeah, I'm going home. See if I can bang Blake Lively or something.

Sinestro: Seriously? You're chosen to guard part of the universe, and not only are you quitting after two minutes, leaving countless lives in jeopardy, you're not even going to try? How the hell are you the hero of this film?

Hal Jordan: I'm not sure. Sniff you jerks later! (flies off)

Michael Clarke Kilowog: Christ, what an a--hole.

Scene 7 - Oa; Guardian's Circle

Sinestro: Guardians! There is a new evil loose in the universe. It's killed a few Green Lanterns including Abin Sur and two whole planets. It comes from the planet where Abin Sur imprisoned Parallax. Also, survivors say it's really yellow and evil, just like Parallax. Also, it looks like Parallax.

Guardians: ...

Sinestro: I think it might be Parallax.

Guardians: Okay, we'll get around to that.

Sinestro: Really? You're going to be morally ambiguous here? I know you've been dicks in the comics for years, but this is the very first movie. If you aren't clearly good, it makes the entire Green Lantern concept questionable to people who are learning about Green Lantern for the first time. And frankly, Hal isn't earning us any good will either.

Guardians: Um... we have to go do our hair.

Sinestro: Goddammit.

Scene 8 - Huge Party at Blake Lively's Dad's Mansion

Blake Lively's Dad: Well, Hal, despite you being a total prick, we got the military contract anyways. You are invited to this big fancy party that I'm throwing with the money I ended up saving after I fired all those people.

Hal Jordan: Awesome. (steals people's drinks even though there's an open bar)

Hector Hammond's Dad: I am going to think mean things about you, son, and then get on a helicopter.

Hector Hammond: I'm going to hear those mean things, because of my new ill-defined powers, and then I'm going to break your helicopter while it's in flight.

(Hector Hammond's Dad gets in helicopter, it takes off, Hector Hammond breaks it with his mind, it crashes at the edge of the party and slides length-wise across a pool of panicking party goers, potentially killing dozens of people)

Blake Lively: Oh no! The helicopter is getting close to me!

Hal Jordan: I have finally decided to help! (puts helicopter on elaborate, ostentatious giant Hot Wheels track instead of just stopping it)

Every Single Other Person at the Party: Christ, what an a--hole.

Scene 9 - Oa; Guardian's Circle; Sinestro and Guardians part 2

Sinestro: Well, guess *beep* what? It was Parallax. Killed a bunch more Green Lanterns, too. Mind telling me what you know about Parallax now?

Guardians: (sighs) Okay. At one point we thought about fighting evil with the yellow emotion of fear in addition to the green emotion of willpower.

Sinestro: Willpower is not an emotion.

Guardians: Shut up. Anyways, turns out that the yellow power of fear was too powerful and uncontrollable and totally evil, and it even possessed one of the Guardians, who transformed into Parallax. So really, our messing with the yellow power of fear is what caused this entire problem in the first place.

Sinestro: I have an idea: Let's do that exact same thing. And maybe make a yellow power ring or something.

Guardians: That is the BEST. PLAN. EVER.

Scene 10 - Hal's apartment; after attacking Hector Hammond in Laboratory

Hal Jordan: I'm seriously afraid of being a Green Lantern.

Blake Lively: Jesus, really? Still? The movie is two-thirds over at this point. Can't you do something heroic?

Hal Jordan: Well, I just fought Hector Hammond. Although he totally kicked my a** and managed to kill his dad while I was there.

Blake Lively: That's not heroic at all. How did you even get away?

Hal Jordan: I don't really know. I kind of put my ring on him and it pushed him across the room. And then the scene just ended.

Blake Lively: You mean, you didn't even follow him or anything?

Hal Jordan: Nope. Actually, the very next scene was Hector waking up in his own cozy bed in his own apartment, so he's not even hiding or anything. Apparently I couldn't care less what he does.

Blake Lively: Ugh. Look, Hal. You're clearly afraid of everything, ever. So obviously what the purple alien dude meant is that you aren't fearless, but that you have the power to overcome fear. Even though he specifically called you fearless and you've given zero evidence that you can actually overcome fear to any degree.

Hal Jordan: Huh? I wasn't listening. Anyways, I'm going to go away for a while and let Hector capture you in your sleep. (flies off)

Blake Lively: Christ, what an a--hole.

roughrider
GREEN LANTERN - PLOT HOLES FOR DUMMIES (part 3 of 3)

Scene 11 - Hector Hammond's apartment; after getting beat up by Green Lantern

Parallax: HEY, HECTOR.

Hector Hammond: Hey, Parallax.

Parallax: I AM GOING TO THE PLANET OA TO EAT EVERYBODY. WHAT ARE YOU UP TO?

Hector Hammond: Well, you made me evil, so I'm going to *beep* around with Hal Jordan and Blake Lively because of some tenuous connection in our past that the movie only alluded to barely five minutes ago.

Parallax: OKAY, COOL. HEY, HAL JORDAN WEARS THE RING OF THE DUDE WHO IMPRISONED ME, RIGHT? I THINK I'LL COME TO EARTH, EAT HIM AND ALL OF HUMANITY, AND THEN I'LL BE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO GO TO OA AND DEFEAT THE GUARDIANS AND ALL THE GREEN LANTERNS!

Hector Hammond: Um... doesn't that mean you aren't powerful enough to defeat the Guardians and Green Lanterns right now?

Parallax: WELL... YES.

Hector Hammond: So... why were you going to Oa?
(pause)

Parallax: OH SH**! I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN! I WAS ABOUT TO GET MY ASS KICKED!

Hector Hammond: Yeah, you were!

Parallax: I'M SO GLAD I CALLED!

Scene 12 - Oa; Guardian's Circle; Hal flies to Oa to speak with the Guardians

Hal Jordan: Guardians! I'm ready to be a hero now! Parallax is heading to Earth! And we don't have much time, because the movie is like 6/7th's over!

Guardians: Okay... what do you want?

Hal Jordan: I want you to send all the Green Lanterns to Earth to fight Parallax!

Guardians: (pretending to think) ...nah.

Hal Jordan: Really?

Guardians: Really.

Hal Jordan: Well, let me fight on Earth's behalf!

Guardians: Huh?

Hal Jordan: I said, let me fight on Ea--

Guardians: We know what you said. But did we ever tell you... you couldn't fight for Earth?

Hal Jordan: Well... no...

Guardians: Actually, have we ever told you anything at all in this whole movie? Ever?

Hal Jordan: Um... I guess not.

Guardians: Have you even been introduced to us at all in this movie?

Hal Jordan: ... Hi! I'm Hal Jordan!

Guardians: Have we ever appeared to have given the tiniest sh** about you? Even when you quit the Green Lantern Corps but still took your Power Ring with you?

Hal Jordan: No, not really.

Guardians: So why would you ask us permission to fight for your own planet?

Hal Jordan: Well... I guess I needed a plot device for a reason to fight the Parallax solo, rather than look like a tool fighting alongside the other 3,000 Green Lanterns that came by to hear Sinestro's Braveheart speech about an hour ago.

Guardians: Go ahead. Knock yourself out.

Hal Jordan: Oh. I guess I'll be going then. (flies back to Earth)

Guardians: Christ, what an a--hole.

Scene 13 - Ferris Airbase Hanger; Hector captures a sleeping Blake Lively

Hector Hammond: I have captured Blake Lively!

Hal Jordan: You certainly have. Let her go, and you can have my Green Lantern ring.

Hector Hammond: Bullsh**. Only people who are worthy can wear a Power Ring. I've never read a Green Lantern comic and even I know that.

Hal Jordan: No, it's cool. Seriously. (tosses ring to Hector, Hector puts it on)

Hector Hammond: Holy sh**! (uses ring to blast wall) Uh-oh, the GL fanboys are going to lose their sh** over this.

Hal Jordan: Ha ha! I lied! You have to be chosen to use the ring!

Hector Hammond: Dude. I just used it. You saw me. I clearly don't have to be chosen.

(ring suddenly tases Hector for no discernable reason; Parallax breaks into the building)

Parallax: I SEE THAT GREEN LANTERN! HE'S STILL ALIVE! HECTOR HAMMOND, YOU HAVE FAILED ME! I EAT YOU NOW! OM-NOM-NOM-NOM.

(Parallax eats Hector's soul, drops body to the floor, which is still wearing the Power Ring)

Hal Jordan: Hey.

Parallax: HEY. SO... YOU GOING TO SUMMON YOUR RING TO YOU AND FIGHT ME OR SOMETHING?

Hal Jordan: Apparently I can't do that. I have to walk over there and pick it up.

Parallax: REALLY? THAT'S BULLSH**. OH WELL, YOU TAKE YOUR TIME TO GET YOUR RING AND TALK TO BLAKE LIVELY, AND FEEL FREE TO TAKE THE TIME YOU NEED TO COLLECT YOURSELF. I'LL JUST LEAVE AND EAT SOME PEOPLE IN THE CITY OR SOMETHING.

Hal Jordan: Thanks, dude!

Hector Hammond's Corpse: Christ, what an a--hole.

Scene 14 - Outer Space; after Hal uses a propeller to blow past Parallax into space

Hal Jordan: Parallax!

Parallax: VAN WILDER!

Hal Jordan: It is the final battle! I am one lone, incredibly sh*ty Green Lantern!

Parallax: SPEAKING OF SH*T, WHERE ARE YOUR OTHER 3,000 FRIENDS?

Hal Jordan: Oh, I used a plot device earlier to have them all scrapped. We couldn't afford to go over our $150 million budget. (...oops!)

Parallax: WELL IN THAT CASE... I AM PARALLAX! THE ULTIMATE EVIL IN THE UNIVERSE WHO CAN DESTROY WHOLE PLANETS AND HORDES OF GREEN LANTERNS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ABIN SUR!

Hal Jordan: Yes! But when you were chasing me, I flew really close to the sun, and now you're being sucked into its gravitational pull!
(pause)

Parallax: OH, SH**.

Hal Jordan: Yep!

Parallax: GOD, THIS IS EMBARRASSING. IT'S THE GALACTIC EQUIVALENT OF NOT LOOKING BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET.

Hal Jordan: Seriously. I can't believe all the Green Lanterns had such a tough time with you, because you are one stupid *beep*

Parallax: HOW THE HELL DID THIS EVEN HAPPEN? WEREN'T WE JUST PASSING BY THE ASTEROID BELTS BETWEEN MARS AND JUPITER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM? HOW DID WE GET TO THE SUN?

Hal Jordan: I dunno. Who pays attention to these details anyway? Not the audience.

Parallax: SERIOUSLY, IT'S LIKE A LOONEY TUNES CARTOON, WHERE WILE E. COYOTE MAKES A PIT AND COVERS IT WITH STICKS OR SOME SH** THEN FALLS OFF A PIT. I CAN'T BELIEVE I EVEN FELL FOR IT.

Hal Jordan: You know what the best part is? Even though you were defeated by your own stupidity, we're all going to pretend that this fulfills my heroic journey and all the Green Lanterns will like me now! Even Sinestro!

Parallax: *beep* REALLY?

Hal Jordan: Yep!

Parallax: CHRIST, WHAAT AN AAAAAASSSSHHHHOOOOOLLLLL-- (gets sucked into the sun and burns up)

Scene 15 - Oa; after the credits roll

Sinestro: I have been significantly more heroic than Hal Jordan this entire film. I tried to protect the universe. I actually fought Parallax instead of just tricking him into flying into the sun. I called Hal Jordan a douche, but only while he was totally being a douche. I only wanted the clearly evil Yellow Power Ring to fight the evil of Parallax and save lives. And just a minute ago, I talked about how awesome Hal was in front of the whole Green Lantern Corps for the film's final scene.

Sinestro: (continues) I have been a good guy for the entirety of the movie... while Hal's only been a hero for maybe 10%, 15% tops.

(roll credits)

Sinestro: I'm not putting on the Yellow Power Ring.

Hal Jordan: Oh yes you are.

Sinestro: No I'm not. I have no motivation to do it. Parallax is dead, albeit in a very stupid way. I've been a good guy the entire film. It's totally against my character as established throughout the movie.

Hal Jordan: Sorry, you're the bad guy in the sequel.

Sinestro: There's not going to be a sequel! This movie sucked! It doesn't even look like we're going to break even!

Hal Jordan: Maybe, but you still gotta put it on. Just in case.

Sinestro: Goddammit. (puts on Yellow Power Ring, his outfit transforms into his Sinestro Corps uniform)

Hal Jordan: Thanks, dude! Sniff you later! (flies off)

Sinestro: Christ, what an a--hole.

That's all, folks! big grin

Nemesis X
laughing out loud

wicker_man
In X-Men: First Class a fully-haired Charles Xavier is in a wheel chair whilst in X-Men Origins: Wolverine he's bald and walking. Now I know it's a reboot but then why include Hugh Jackman's Wolverine?!?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by wicker_man
In X-Men: First Class a fully-haired Charles Xavier is in a wheel chair whilst in X-Men Origins: Wolverine he's bald and walking. Now I know it's a reboot but then why include Hugh Jackman's Wolverine?!?

It's the comedic highlight the film needed.
Ask anyone what they thought of First Class & all they'll mention is Wolvie's cameo.

roughrider
Originally posted by wicker_man

It's a partial reboot; they are disregarding the events depicted in both X-Men 3 and Origins. Basically, only the films Bryan Singer was involved with matter right now, going forward. That's 1, 2 and First Class.

And this thread is supposed to be about obvious PIS in movies, not continuity questions.

mardook
To roughrider,

that was far more entertaining than the actual movie. What a waste of money, could have gone to better writers and director. Ryan was a poor choice to cast in the role. Mark Strong was aweome though. The CGI was really shitty looking too. They should just do a TV show of it... far more time to expand a storyline like that in TV.

super pr*xy
i was just watching thor on dvd and found myself wondering why the f*** would loki leave heimdall frozen in front of the gate? to break free in the nick of time and bring back thor and co of course.. loki could've easily shattered heimdall's frozen ass, but did not.. classic PIS..

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
X-Men 1st Class.

He then spends the rest of the movie & his adulthood hunting him down. laughing

The Phantom Menace with Kenobi killing Maul the way he did was PIS at its finest.

siriuswriter
roughrider, that's just hilarious. and true. hilarious because it's true. big grin

Lord Shadow Z
I watching Dirty Harry a while back and the part where they say they can't convict Scorpio keeps nagging at me badly. I mean, yes, he enters his place without a warrant (he doesn't search it though) and there's the 'torturing' aspect but its earlier on in the film that keeps bugging me.

When Scorpio is beating Harry up in the park and threatening to kill the girl and him, Harry's partner is listening to all this on the concealed mike. Even though Scorpio is wearing a mask, Harry marks him with a knife wound and that surely would have been enough to get him for attempted murder of a police officer. Even more so if blood matching was available at that time since Callahan would have his blood on the knife.

Just keeps bugging me with that scene, with all the bother about the lack of a search warrant.

Utrigita
I see your point but again, in the warehouse he had the CAR-15 (thank you wikipedia) with the grenade launcher, the desert eagle and the shotgun. He got the drop mainly because of the water taking out the stealth but thats not PIS, thats a precendent that was set in the first movie, water disrupts the stealth mode. The Predator wasn't standing still for Harrigan either, Harrigan used the meat to slow him down until he could get the shotgun into play and by that time the Pred had no weapon to even get to him from that position.

He also takes out the Pred in the ship because he's basically fighting an one-armed opponent and you easily imagine that he could almost treat that like a knife fight, and being in the 'warzone' as Harrigan calls his precinct you'd think he'd be able to fight those odds.

But the Dutch example is not so believable as a direct confrontation that looks like they are having an almost human fight, how hard would have been for the Pred to slip the wrist blades into his body when it managed that so easily against an armed opponent like Dillon? Or presumably Billy too?(we never get to see that but its's inferred that the Pred took him out man to alien so to speak)

Yes, he got the drop, but what happens to be exact? The predator is fully aware of it's incapability to cloak (it finds out when it fights the hunt team) yet it tries to activate it, yet is caught by surprise? And then what happens next Carrigan fires up a single burst and manages to take out the Shoulder Cannon, something not a entire horde of armed gangmembers or soldiers could do, that is also plot induced device. The Predator still had his Wristblades which he also magically forgot, he also had his staff which he also forgot. he also had his net which he also forget etc.

Lord Shadow Z
Yes, he got the drop, but what happens to be exact? The predator is fully aware of it's incapability to cloak (it finds out when it fights the hunt team) yet it tries to activate it, yet is caught by surprise? And then what happens next Carrigan fires up a single burst and manages to take out the Shoulder Cannon, something not a entire horde of armed gangmembers or soldiers could do, that is also plot induced device. The Predator still had his Wristblades which he also magically forgot, he also had his staff which he also forgot. he also had his net which he also forget etc.

The Predator trying to cloak when it's aware of the fact it may not work could very well be an instinctive reaction, a lot like when we hurt ourselves doing someting yet feel compelled to do it again, an unconcious reaction if you will. The taking out of the shoulder cannon - while I'm sure he fires two bursts to break it - is extremely fortunate and I'll give you that as PIS.

Of your other points once the Predator lost it's cloak and cannon it was in a very vulnerable position and not best disposed to run out and get nailed by Harrigan's assault rifle/grenade launcher - for all it knew Harrigan had another grenade. Once it saw an opening it took it and brought Harrigan to the ground with some kind of projectile. Kees showing up in the nick of time is part of the plot and after that the battle is fairly even. You say the Pred has these weapons and could have used them, he did use them and Harrigan negated them all fairly reasonably in my opinon.

1. The projectile he fires: Harrigan takes it in the vest, now, okay, the projectile should be able to pierce 'earth metal' but it's unclear what that wrist projectile was. Could go either way because even if it was the 'spear tip' thing it has only been shown punching through a man's head.

2. The disk: Pred uses it on Kees and loses it, giving Harrigan the opportunity to take it for himself. Plausible.

3. The spear: Pred throws it at Harrigan, he ducks and it misses, Pred loses another weapon. Plausible and had it been used earlier it would have been easy to duck then.

4. The bomb: Harrigan cuts it off at the arm with retrieved disk. Plausible because there isn't anything to say that wouldn't stop the bomb so that generally becomes canon.

5. The net: ripped apart with the captured disk. Plausible.

6. The wrist blades: fended off with the captured disk. Plausible because like I said before it's more or less like a knife fight at that point.

Just because the Pred didn't use a particular weapon at a particular time doesn't make it PIS, it's just that the Pred had a lot of options, a split second to decide what to use, two of his most used abilities unavailable and Harrigan breathing down his neck with an assault rifle (with grenades), shotgun and desert eagle. The fact that it may have not made the right choice at the right time is purely a hindsight issue.

roughrider
Originally posted by Darth Martin
laughing

The Phantom Menace with Kenobi killing Maul the way he did was PIS at its finest.

Do you think it's PIS because Darth Maul could survive being cut in half with a lightsaber?
Or do you think it's CIS because he didn't react as quickly as he should have when Obi-Wan made his surprise move out of the shaft? Personally, I thought Maul was just overconfident at that moment, the way the duel had gone.

Utrigita
The Predator trying to cloak when it's aware of the fact it may not work could very well be an instinctive reaction, a lot like when we hurt ourselves doing someting yet feel compelled to do it again, an unconcious reaction if you will. The taking out of the shoulder cannon - while I'm sure he fires two bursts to break it - is extremely fortunate and I'll give you that as PIS.

Of your other points once the Predator lost it's cloak and cannon it was in a very vulnerable position and not best disposed to run out and get nailed by Harrigan's assault rifle/grenade launcher - for all it knew Harrigan had another grenade. Once it saw an opening it took it and brought Harrigan to the ground with some kind of projectile. Kees showing up in the nick of time is part of the plot and after that the battle is fairly even. You say the Pred has these weapons and could have used them, he did use them and Harrigan negated them all fairly reasonably in my opinon.

1. The projectile he fires: Harrigan takes it in the vest, now, okay, the projectile should be able to pierce 'earth metal' but it's unclear what that wrist projectile was. Could go either way because even if it was the 'spear tip' thing it has only been shown punching through a man's head.

2. The disk: Pred uses it on Kees and loses it, giving Harrigan the opportunity to take it for himself. Plausible.

3. The spear: Pred throws it at Harrigan, he ducks and it misses, Pred loses another weapon. Plausible and had it been used earlier it would have been easy to duck then.

4. The bomb: Harrigan cuts it off at the arm with retrieved disk. Plausible because there isn't anything to say that wouldn't stop the bomb so that generally becomes canon.

5. The net: ripped apart with the captured disk. Plausible.

6. The wrist blades: fended off with the captured disk. Plausible because like I said before it's more or less like a knife fight at that point.

Just because the Pred didn't use a particular weapon at a particular time doesn't make it PIS, it's just that the Pred had a lot of options, a split second to decide what to use, two of his most used abilities unavailable and Harrigan breathing down his neck with an assault rifle (with grenades), shotgun and desert eagle. The fact that it may have not made the right choice at the right time is purely a hindsight issue.

If this had been a ordinary bully, I would agree, however it isn't. We are talking about a advanced highly trained alien race, which focus on hunting live species. The fact alone that the Predator was entirely relaxed about losing his cloak capabilities before engaging Harrigan and then becoming perplexed by it doesn't add up.

With a entire arsenal of weapons, multiple levels of vision, a superior endurance and stamina, what exactly makes you think that the predator was in a vulnarable situation. It tanked shotguns round to the chest without any problems what so ever, besides losing consciousness for a short amount of time.

You are incorrect none of those weapons was used against Harrigan. The projectile fired against Harrigan, was obviously not the same as used in the apartment (that one didn't work like a small missile), so that is one weapon the predator magically forgets it has.

Point is that none of the weapons the predator had at it's disposal was used against Harrigan, when a Character (like the Predator) doesn't use weapons against a opponent of a certain character (like Harrigan for instance) which it have used against other opponents, to show the Predators skills then it's PIS when the character (predator) suddenly decides not to use them and forgets about them. Recall that it's only on the Roof that Harrigan gets the disc, there was alot of possibilities to disable Harrigan down in the freezer, yet the Predator used none of those. It could have grapped it's Waistblade and sliced him up, it could have thrown it's spear (which Harrigan based on the speed the Predator threw it with the first time would have no chance at avoiding.) but what Harrigan could or couldn't have survived isn't the primary focus point. The primary focus is that the predator because of the plot is required to forget certain abilities at it's disposal and it does. And what Harrigan is breathing down his neck with isn't really that great of a factor. The Predator prior to the engagement with Harrigan killed a entire squad that was equiped and trained to defeat the Predator. It was cold and calculated in that engagement, but not in the following, and that is only because Harrigan had to win that fight.

Lord Shadow Z
You are incorrect none of those weapons was used against Harrigan. The projectile fired against Harrigan, was obviously not the same as used in the apartment (that one didn't work like a small missile), so that is one weapon the predator magically forgets it has.

Point is that none of the weapons the predator had at it's disposal was used against Harrigan, when a Character (like the Predator) doesn't use weapons against a opponent of a certain character (like Harrigan for instance) which it have used against other opponents, to show the Predators skills then it's PIS when the character (predator) suddenly decides not to use them and forgets about them. Recall that it's only on the Roof that Harrigan gets the disc, there was alot of possibilities to disable Harrigan down in the freezer, yet the Predator used none of those. It could have grapped it's Waistblade and sliced him up, it could have thrown it's spear (which Harrigan based on the speed the Predator threw it with the first time would have no chance at avoiding.) but what Harrigan could or couldn't have survived isn't the primary focus point. The primary focus is that the predator because of the plot is required to forget certain abilities at it's disposal and it does. And what Harrigan is breathing down his neck with isn't really that great of a factor. The Predator prior to the engagement with Harrigan killed a entire squad that was equiped and trained to defeat the Predator. It was cold and calculated in that engagement, but not in the following, and that is only because Harrigan had to win that fight.

Ermm.. yes I believe the Predator did use the majority of his weapons against Harrigan and all used against him were negated. The only weapon he didn't use against him was the laser cannon, which Harrigan negated immediately.

I'll refresh your memory if you are not sure:

Wrist projectile - fired at Harrigan shortly after losing it's laser cannon, stopped by Harrigan's vest.

The disk: not thrown at Harrigan but still sloppy by the Predator and it's own fault really for losing it.

The spear: thrown at Harrigan on the roof of the warehouse, Harrigan ducks and avoids it, that seems to be threat negated to me. Couldn't have been thrown in the warehouse because it would have been too crowded with the meat and other obstacles and he never got close enough to use it.

The wrist bomb: used against Harrigan while hanging off the building, Harrigan precedes to cut the Pred's wrist off with the disk, negating the bomb. Too early too use anytime before or after and defies the point of being a trophy collector/hunter.

The net: used against Harrigan in the ship, negated with the disk. Again, the previous time it was used it was in an open apartment with hardly any obstacles and the advantage of his stealth to get a good shot. Also when it was used in the ship it was an open environment, like the apartment, how about that?

The wristblades: used against Harrigan in the ship, negated with the disk. He did get close to use them but it was probably dazed/pissed of by getting shotgunned (it smashes his gun and screams, possible indicator of anger) after that he never got close enough until the ship.

You seem so sure that the Predator had more of a chance to defeat Harrigan than the other way round. Harrigan had the Pred out for the count and could have blasted his head off, thats a better example of PIS!. The Pred only had the advantage against Kee's team because they couldn't see/mark his position, the Predator however could see/mark them, so the team didn't see him until he was chopping them down. Hardly a fair situation and example of the Pred's abilities, taking down blind enemies.

roughrider
Here's a PIS element you see in a few films; the big epic ones in particular:

The great battle has been fought, and the forces of good have triumphed, everything has been settled for the future course of events...

How about the two leading nemesis in the conflict get together and have a duel to the death, when all's said & done?

We seen it most recently in Avatar (Jake Sully vs. Quadritch)
Other past examples are Frank Herbert's Dune (Paul vs. Feyd) and Lethal Weapon 1 (Riggs vs. Mr. Joshua.) When you think about, it doesn't make sense for this to happen after the conflict is over, does it?
It should be happening when the outcome is still in doubt, or in the center of the large conflict going on. That's what is happening with the lightsabers duels in the Star Wars films (even in Revenge Of The Sith, where there is still an opportunity for Yoda & Obi Wan to stop the Sith takeover before it takes hold.)

Esau Cairn

Other past examples are Frank Herbert's Dune (Paul vs. Feyd) and Lethal Weapon 1 (Riggs vs. Mr. Joshua.) When you think about, it doesn't make sense for this to happen after the conflict is over, does it?

But in the two examples you've listed, the issues became personal & not about the mission or Mr. Joshua still being hired as a henchman.

In Avatar, Sully felt outrage for the senseless killing & Quadritch felt betrayed by Sully going "native".

In Lethal Weapon, Mr. Joshua made it personal by taking the fight to Murtagh's home.

Compare it to Star Wars, the battles are about sides & not as personal.

I mean all Versus Threads can be labelled P.I.S but geeks, I mean people still like to take sides & have opinions on them.

roughrider
Well, in ROTJ, it didn't really make military sense for Luke to leave the rebels and go confront Darth Vader and the Emperor, but he was following the will of the force. And it turned out to be the right thing to do, as it ensured the deaths of both Vader and the Emperor - thereby cutting off the head of the Empire - when otherwise they might have escaped the Death Star. And the conflict was very personal.

With the other examples, I'm just saying it's more movie world logic than real world logic, that those fights would take place then. Just giving something to the audience, like a staged hockey fight.

Sadako of Girth
Noticed one in Misery.

If James Caan had the lock picking bobby pin, and let himself out of the room into the house itself, why did he not pick the locked back door/front door?

Bahhhhh.

Lord Shadow Z
Here's a PIS element you see in a few films; the big epic ones in particular:

The great battle has been fought, and the forces of good have triumphed, everything has been settled for the future course of events...

How about the two leading nemesis in the conflict get together and have a duel to the death, when all's said & done?

It should be happening when the outcome is still in doubt, or in the center of the large conflict going on. That's what is happening with the lightsabers duels in the Star Wars films (even in Revenge Of The Sith, where there is still an opportunity for Yoda & Obi Wan to stop the Sith takeover before it takes hold.)

I can see where you're going with this, especially the Mr Joshua fight.

He really had no reason to go after Riggs or Murtaugh because in a general sense he's a mercenary and could clearly have found someone else to work for. His army loyalty for his boss (a boss who wasn't concerned about Joshua while escaping himself) might come into it but even that doesn't excuse going armed to a cop's house intent on revenge. Even the fact that Murtaugh's first and only assumption that he even went to the house would be enough to help him disappear.

What bugged me about that scene is when Joshua finds the note already in the house waiting for him. If the note is already in the house and presumably the house is covered, why did they let Joshua blow away the two cops guarding the house?

'Yeah, we'll watch the house and put a note in it to get a rise out of Joshua but those two cops watching the house are on their own'

laughing

Dav86
Well I watched the Truman show from the start for the first time in years and since Im a little older I get more of the concepts and i love it but a few things annoy me about it

1.Would the creators not have been better off not mentioning the world outside seahaven?
2.That guy lives the most boring life possible, it makes other reality tv shows interesting in comparison, who would wanna watch it?
3.All the people cheering on Truman in the end, would they not have been like this is a joke you have a guy in a 'prison' against his will down through his 30 years?
4.Where the hell was the cops for the creator when he went about basically killing truman at the end 'they watched him being born'

I'm sure theres more that I can't think of

roughrider
Originally posted by Dav86
Well I watched the Truman show from the start for the first time in years and since Im a little older I get more of the concepts and i love it but a few things annoy me about it

1.Would the creators not have been better off not mentioning the world outside seahaven?
2.That guy lives the most boring life possible, it makes other reality tv shows interesting in comparison, who would wanna watch it?
3.All the people cheering on Truman in the end, would they not have been like this is a joke you have a guy in a 'prison' against his will down through his 30 years?
4.Where the hell was the cops for the creator when he went about basically killing truman at the end 'they watched him being born'

I'm sure theres more that I can't think of

There is a thread already for PIS in films here. But I'll answer for you.

1. They do mention the world outside Seahaven. But it's always in a foreboding way, part of the decades-long conditioning to keep Truman on the island.

2. Who can say what people will watch? I look at one reality show after another and can't for the life of me figure out why someone watches it! One difference here is, Truman has been watched since birth, and it's become a generational thing like those fans who stay with soap operas for decades, like Coronation Street.

3. Define 'prison.' There have been movements and attempts to get Truman out of Seahaven, but he was legally adopted by a corporation as a baby and they are still his legal guardian. Christof brushes off the the prisoner accusations by reminding people it's a prison without bars, that Truman could leave if he absolutely wanted to, but deep down prefers the comfortable 'cell' they made for him.
(It is murky territory about the psychological barriers they keep throwing at him against leaving, though.)
The film poses a lot of questions about morality, what people are willing to do or go along with. People are still willing to eat cows and chicken no matter how inhumane they made be treated in a slaughterhouse; they just want to have their hearty meal, and only the fringe groups protest about it. Just as in here, people are willing to watch a man with an idealized life, sitting in a perfect prison without bars, and few think about the morality of it.

4. This is ultimately a science fiction premise, so I'm not concerned about every detail they don't elaborate on. A gigantic sound stage that covers many square miles, climate controlled with an artificial sun that looks real from a distance - compared to that, how many levels of government & law enforcement are complicit or bought off by the corporation are small questions. We don't even know how far in the future this is taking place; all the angles of people in their homes are really from the point of view of the TV screen looking back. Nothing outside is seen.

Sadako of Girth
The bit where Palpatine clearly orders the death of all the Gungans in TPM, yet then droids are seen sparing JarJar and taking him alive as a prisoner on the battlefield, when he was totally at their mercy..

What part of "Wipe them out...all of them...!" was unclear or optional to them....?!!?

The trade federation had an opportunity to go out as heroes to the galaxy....but nooo....

steverules_2
Pretty much every plot hole in the PT...there's my list

roughrider
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The bit where Palpatine clearly orders the death of all the Gungans in TPM, yet then droids are seen sparing JarJar and taking him alive as a prisoner on the battlefield, when he was totally at their mercy..

What part of "Wipe them out...all of them...!" was unclear or optional to them....?!!?

The trade federation had an opportunity to go out as heroes to the galaxy....but nooo....

Perhaps once they rounded up all the prisoners in a line, they would have shot them all then. It would have saved money in not having more droids destroyed in a continuing battle.

Sadako of Girth
Maybe....but they were seen killing lots of other gungans with no regard for such formality....yet when it comes to two more gungans, they suddenly get procedural?
Also you have to sacrifice fighting numbers to set prisoners aside and guard them too. Also TF droids cause of their essentially being crap, rely on great numbers getting the job done..so is it not more logical to waste the "prisoners" there and move on?

the ninjak
How in the latest Twilight.

Edward has sex with Bella and creates a super powerful baby that will kill her. Suddenly the parents have a word for the creature and Edward even searches Google and finds lots of hits and images. lol. You would think he would stumbled upon this information earlier in his few hundred years of researching his kind.

You would think that they would've been old enough to warn the kid.
Wear a rubber or pull out Edward, lest a demon baby eats thou wifes stomach.

Myth
Originally posted by the ninjak
How in the latest Twilight.

Edward has sex with Bella and creates a super powerful baby that will kill her. Suddenly the parents have a word for the creature and Edward even searches Google and finds lots of hits and images. lol. You would think he would stumbled upon this information earlier in his few hundred years of researching his kind.

You would think that they would've been old enough to warn the kid.
Wear a rubber or pull out Edward, lest a demon baby eats thou wifes stomach.

Oh no! You just posted spoilers for the movie I never plan on watching!

Impediment
Merged the threads together, since the other was, essentially, a dupe.

Lord Shadow Z
In Terminator, in the car park scene when they're bashing each other around in the cars - Kyle wins and the Terminator crashes. Immediately after that they are apprehended by the police and the Terminator is nowhere to be seen. Why did he run? They had nowhere to go and since he took out a whole police station it wouldn't have been difficult to get them.

I could have understood that scene more had the Terminator been wedged tight in the car or even the concrete wall but as it is it makes zero sense.

Esau Cairn
I had to sit through Abducted lastnight.
Some decent action sequences but such a ridiculous plot, it's not worth mentioning the amount of P.I.S was involved...

What bugged me afterwards was realising the stupid title.
Nobody, NO ONE in the entire film....was abducted.

Patient_Leech
Damn, it got 4% on RT. That's one of the lowest ratings I've ever seen. I believe you.

CadoAngelus
Nearly every horror/thriller movie in existence, where the next victim feels it necessary to walk into a dimly light/dark room after hearing a noise/seeing something even though they know there's someone/something about killing people off...and then they die. They are doomed to die. It happens everytime without fail.

And I don't mean the people at the beginning of the films, they're forgiven for being the first of many.

marwash22
can anyone name a horror movie that doesn't contain PIS?

and yeah, investigating noises from dark rooms/basements is a great way to get stabbed up.

NemeBro
Even by horror movie standards, See No Evil, which for some reason I saw, was ridiculously PIS filled.

Probably the most notable example is some guy walking through the spooky house, noticing a tripwire before walking into it, and he proceeds to... Bend down and pull on it while saying "HEY ITS A TRIPWIRE". Thus alerting Kane to their presence.

Lolwtf.

Impediment
The Avengers: Hulk conveniently learns to control his rage and be nice and cooperative.

juggerman
Prometheus

Oh i'm too afraid to stay in this cave with bodies that have been dead for about a billion years but oh look an alien penis snake wants to play with me. This sounds like a good idea!

Also iirc they had the maps and still got lost yet the others made it out fine....

Impediment
The Infinity Gauntlet was supremely de-powered for the Avengers films. Thanos should have been absolutely unstoppable.

Inhuman
The Infinity Gauntlet was supremely de-powered for the Avengers films. Thanos should have been absolutely unstoppable.

As a HUGE fan of the comics infinity gems story line in "Thanos Quest & Infinity Gauntlet". I agree.
But its understandable that they depowered it. It wouldnt make any sense to let the heroes they have featured in these films in over a decade have Zero chance to stop Thanos. They needed to tone down a lot of stuff to make it a more grounded film so it can make sense in the MCU.
Wouldnt make sense if the final battle was with characters no one has heard of like Eternity, Living Tribunal, Lord Chaos , Master Order, Beyonder, etc VS. Thanos.
That would have no emotional connection with audiences. So they had to make it so the heroes had a chance.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Nephthys
Like: Obi-Wan not finishing off Anakin at the end of ROTS. I'm 0kay with this scene because Obi-Wan is a compassionate person and its clear that despite whats happened he still loves Anakin as a brother and can't bare to crawl down a hill and coldly execute him like that. Its definately an understandable and human mistake for him to make, even if it was really dumb and he should have at least confirmed he was dead before leaving. This post is 8 years old but I never skip a chance to call Neph a retard.

"Anakin, Im far too compassionate of a person to kill you quickly and cleanly.

Instead I will leave you here to slowly burn to death in excruciating agony. Farewell!"

John Murdoch
BAD: GoT Season 7 (ya it's TV. Sue me.): The heroes go to get a wight to show Cersei that the Whitewalkers are real and that they need to band together. By doing so, Dany's dragon Viseryon is killed and turned undead by the Night King. Pretty stupid to begin with, trading a dragon - one of only three in this fictional world at the time - for a zombie. Very bad Heroes of Might and Magic 3 tactic.

Here's the horrible kicker though: an undead, blue ice/fire-breathing dragon is exactly what the doctor ordered. The Night King and the Whitewalker army use said dragon to get through the Wall, a magic-imbued giant terrain barrier that prevents any ice zombie army from getting through to the south.

If the heroes just WOULD HAVE DONE NOTHING, then you can have a Whitewalker siege at the Wall that would be nigh-unloseable for humanity south of the Wall. Instead, well... the tactical abomination that is the Battle at Winterfell just happened. RIP the horse lords, the Dothraki, some of the worst unbeatable army tropes that ever landed on the small screen.

relentless1
The Avengers: Hulk conveniently learns to control his rage and be nice and cooperative.

that was actually set up at the end of TIH, Banner smiles as his eyes turn green, indicating some form of control over the Hulk and Banner even says in Avengers that his secret to controlling Hulk is that he's "always angry"

Now he DOES go crazy on the helicarrier but that was a calculated attack from Loki meant to rile the Hulk up, id imagine in order for Bruce to control Hulk the transformation has to be done under his control no triggered by outside sources.

Impediment
Bump.

Any new suggestions or opinions?

SquallX

HulkIsHulk
Most of Civil War

BruceSkywalker
don't care piss or ciss, just wanna enjoy and not see morons on message boards cry over nothing

Surtur

Even the depowered version he didn't wield property. The reality gem was quite underutilized (ha I'm creating illusions and turning guns into bubbles!)

BruceSkywalker

well considering they had to sell toys to kids and make sure kids understood, having thanos just murder folks would've given them ptsd and other problems.. also the russo's have stated anyway that they never wanted to fully adapt what's in the comics so it really isn't pis nor cis

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Surtur
Even the depowered version he didn't wield property. The reality gem was quite underutilized (ha I'm creating illusions and turning guns into bubbles!)

Should've been much more like the illusions in Far From Home.

KingD19

Kazenji

Same for Corvus Glaive they depowered him, He should've still been alive after been stabbed by Vision.

xPRIMEx

juggerman
Originally posted by mardook
Vanishing on 7th Street.

Off-topic:

This movie always bothered me. All the people that get abducted leave their clothes behind right? No one takes anything with them. Yet the one guy vanished and came back later because the flashlight hat he was wearing suddenly started to work. And when he returned, he was fully clothed. Why the hell did he get taken fully dressed while everyone else is seemingly butt ass naked? Real PIS there

Lestov16
The "conflict" of Black Panther where a supposed enlightened government allows a blatant genocidal terrorist to be their leader because of a stupid ass monarchial trial by combat.

Also, the end of Law Abiding Citizen. We all know Clyde Shelton should've won in the end.

Also, John Wick 3, with the supposed ruthless Council going after everyone who helped John....by only injuring them. And there's the various assassin's who took it easy on John. LAME

Also, virtually the entire plot of Mile 22. Mark Wahlberg really leads the stupidest Black Ops team ever in that movie.

ShadowFyre
Not sure if its plot induced But the 393 ft tall Godzilla towering over a submarine that itself is floating over thousands of feet of water is kinda stupid and was just done for a cool shot

Lestov16
Speaking of Kaiju, who in the hell approved the weight classes in Pacific Rim? They should have added 2-3 extra zeros on the number of tons.

TheVaultDweller
The bit in Endgame when Thanos throws his sword to destroy the van portal before Captain Marvel can reach it. Because just a few minutes earlier, she could fly fast enough to go from the top of the Earth's atmosphere to near the surface in a couple of seconds. Suddenly, she can't even cover a couple hundred meters in a similar amount of time.

Another one is during the final fight between Cap and Bucky in TWS. When Bucky gets his hands on the chip, all he really had to do was squeeze and crush it. Not much Steve can do at that point. But instead he just clutches onto it like an idiot, opening himself up to Cap's choke hold.

There are obviously plenty of others, but those two just popped into my head now.

SquallX

ShadowFyre
Originally posted by Lestov16
Speaking of Kaiju, who in the hell approved the weight classes in Pacific Rim? They should have added 2-3 extra zeros on the number of tons.

I just assumed they were made entirely out of butterfly wings.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
The bit in Endgame when Thanos throws his sword to destroy the van portal before Captain Marvel can reach it. Because just a few minutes earlier, she could fly fast enough to go from the top of the Earth's atmosphere to near the surface in a couple of seconds. Suddenly, she can't even cover a couple hundred meters in a similar amount of time.

Another one is during the final fight between Cap and Bucky in TWS. When Bucky gets his hands on the chip, all he really had to do was squeeze and crush it. Not much Steve can do at that point. But instead he just clutches onto it like an idiot, opening himself up to Cap's choke hold.

There are obviously plenty of others, but those two just popped into my head now. \

Ya, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, or Thor take the gauntlet into low orbit while the other heroes kill Thanos and his army, then they can take their time getting all the stones back. They even still had/rebuilt the time machine for Cap to go back after Iron Man's funeral. Still a great finale besides the Hulk and Thor character assassinations.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.