Did Sidious mean to strike Vader with force lightning at the end of rotj?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I'm watching rotj (on blu ray) now and i've always thought this since i was a kid. Was Sidious trying to kill Vader with Force lightning for insubordination or has the force lightning just gone wild roasting the emporor, as well, hence the Sidious's yelling. And if so is he yelling because of pain of Vaders' betrayal.

And why couldn't Sidious just stop force lighting, of force jump off vader. and roast him as well as luke.

ares834
Fairly certain it was on purpose as the lightning seemed to be curving into Vader. As for why he didn't jump out it was because Vader was holding him...

FistOfThe North
Isn't he stronger than vader is though? He could've easlily broken that bond or that hold. And Vader wasn't really holding him. He was carrying him over his head, wasn't he?

ares834
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Isn't he stronger than vader is though? He could've easlily broken that bond or that hold. And Vader wasn't really holding him. He was carrying him over his head, wasn't he?

Stronger? Hell, no. Vader is one of the physically strongest characters in the films.

FistOfThe North
Stronger with the Force, i meant..

Palpatine is.

ares834
Well, yeah. But you can't jump out of someone holding you. I really don't see what Sidious could have done other than shock him. I guess he could have tried to use the force to push Vader around but he didn't think off it in time, especially since he was caught by surprise.

theICONiac
Naw, the force lightening just went wild and happened to strike Vader. Palpatine was getting roasted as well hence the reason why he was screaming.

darthmaul1
I always figured that when vader grabbed him the foce lighting continued and with vaders hand off palps got electrocuted too from vaders electrical system and his own lightning.

theICONiac
Perhaps Vader was crushing Palpatines ribs as he carried him, hence the reason why Palpatine was still firing and continued to shoot force lightening even as he fell down the shaft?

FistOfThe North
yea but couldn't he stop doing force lightning though? as he always has?

Can't he will force lightning to stop?

darthmaul1
As I said I look at it as an electrical discharge from vaders system

Sadako of Girth
Could be that Palps just electrocuted Vader for the "Noooooooooooo"..
After embarrassing the Sith like that...

queeq
Or Vader, like Padme before him, lost the will to live *barf*

Myth
I think he didn't stop the force lightning because it looks cooler to have him fall with all the lightning around him. wink

queeq
Which it does. wink

Sadako of Girth
It was definitely a lot cooler than the original version where Sausages fell from the sky all around the universe the Palpatine died.

queeq
Hmmm... I kinda liked thst sequence. I just missed the CGI added BBQ sauce.

Darth _Sadow1
Umm, how about Vader just betrayed palpatine and palpatine wanted to at least take Vader down with him? Also, the lightning was more intense once Vader picked him up.

queeq
Guess he just went nuts.

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by theICONiac
Naw, the force lightening just went wild and happened to strike Vader. Palpatine was getting roasted as well hence the reason why he was screaming.

This. Palps says "..and now Young Skywalker, you will die.." and unleashes his most powerful blast. Vader grabs him right at that point, so the power is out of Palp's control.

Vensai
He probably lost control of the FL and some of it hit Vader.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.