Why did Qui Gon body burn. Shouldn't he have dissapeared when he died?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Shouldn't Qui Gon have dissapeared like yoda and obi wan when he died since he became one with the force? and became a force ghost?

I even heard vader's body dissapeared, as well, a luke only burned his armour in rotj.

queeq
Old debate.

darthmaul1
I look at it this way if it's a natural death or if it's an instantanious death then you disappear. but for quigon and all the other jedi he hadn't learned how to become one with the force yet, till he was dead

queeq
Yup... Qui Gon learned it after death and then taught Yoda and OB1... silly story.

steverules_2
He taught Yoda...the most poweful force using jedi...who could've beaten Maul with ease....how to become a force ghost? What the f**k?

queeq
As I said: silly plot line.

Thoren
Yoda even stated that Qui-gon had found his way back from the netherworld, so thats that.

And Yoda might have been powerful, but he wasn't all knowing.

queeq
True. But he lived for 800 years... Qui Gon only 60 or so.

FistOfThe North
with that amount of time how could the wise yoda not be practically all knowing or at least know as much as the padawan of his padawan.

i'd say yoda's way more in tune with the force on a way deeper level than qui gon and he should've known about the lake of aparotions or the force ghost.

right?

queeq
It's a silly plotline and Lucas should never have tried to force it in like he did. And he created the problem himself by not making it a proper storyline.

ares834
Originally posted by queeq
True. But he lived for 800 years... Qui Gon only 60 or so.

Qui-Gon seemed to have a better understanding of the Force than prequel Yoda. It interesting that in the prequels Yoda focuses on the future but in the OT he realized like Qui-Gon that the present was just as if not more important than the future. Basically Yoda changed his views on the Force between the trilogies, and this makes sense because focusing on the future did not help the Jedi in the prequels.

Hybris
Qui-Gon died first... Had Yoda died first, we would be having the opposite discussion...

FistOfThe North
had yoda died first there probably wouldn't be a yoda ghost, according to the movies.

Hybris
There's an error in your reasoning there.

If Yoda dies before Jinn, then the events of the movies would not necessarily transpire as they have done so smile I'm quite sure Yoda eventually would have managed to find out about retaining one's identity the way Jinn did.

steverules_2
I don't understand how Jinn was able to find out how to do so before any other jedi before or after him

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Hybris
There's an error in your reasoning there.

If Yoda dies before Jinn, then the events of the movies would not necessarily transpire as they have done so smile I'm quite sure Yoda eventually would have managed to find out about retaining one's identity the way Jinn did.

Have you forgotten about Mace Windu? A hell of a formidable replacement for Yoda.

Imo he would've led the jedi just as long and as far as Yoda did (if he died before qui gon did. yoda, i mean.)

It seems like Lucas just got lazy on this part. Or the tried to rush that part of the story, which i felt they did.

The whole end of episode 3 just felt rushed anyway. The last 20 mins should've been a whole movie by itself, imho.

steverules_2
I like how people question why Qui Gons body never dissapeared but they never question why Anakins body didn't dissapear either and yet Anakin actually became a force ghost unlike Qui Gon

queeq
McCallum said that Anankin did disappear, just that we didn't see it. That only the armour was burnt.

Now, this again goes wrong on so many counts: OB1 and Yoda took a while to learn the disappearing trick from dead QGJ... Anakin did it in a couple of minutes on his own. But prolly the idea that he is the Chosen one means he can do anything.

The plotline is so stupid and so badly worked out that is hardly worth debating. Especially since the PT makes these problems and kinda muffles it away in a corner. I don't see any logic or reason or any consistency in the whole ghost thing...

DARTH POWER
McCallum said that Anankin did disappear, just that we didn't see it. That only the armour was burnt.

Now, this again goes wrong on so many counts: OB1 and Yoda took a while to learn the disappearing trick from dead QGJ... Anakin did it in a couple of minutes on his own. But prolly the idea that he is the Chosen one means he can do anything.

The plotline is so stupid and so badly worked out that is hardly worth debating. Especially since the PT makes these problems and kinda muffles it away in a corner. I don't see any logic or reason or any consistency in the whole ghost thing...

Lol! Just stick to the OT Queeq!

I must admit the PT did ruin a lot of perceptions I had about the Jedi in the OT days. I assumed the force ghost thing was something every jedi could do. It didnt really need more explanation, until TPM when Qui-Gon didnt disappear. Not sure why Lucas did that, just to give a quick explanation right at the end of the PT.

Also the whole perception of the force like "size matters not" and "the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force" were kind of ruined in the PT, when they showed just how limited the powers of the Jedi are. Making those classic OT lines make no sense at all!

But still it was all worth it to see Darth Maul stick out tongue

queeq
I AM sticking to the OT... You are not.

The point of of how Anakin suddenly learns how to fade into the Force is weird... It was never weird, it was never a point until the PT. Now I guess we all just have to assign it to the prophecy, that the fact that he is the chosen one, he can disappear as well...

Silly.

darthmaul1

For quigon, he didn't learn to become one with the force till after he was dead. I'm sure yoda would of figured it out if he went first. but again if it's an instantanious death like Ben in IV then you disappear or a death due to natural causes like Yoda in VI then you disappear. but since vader wasn't either of those i would say screw what McCallum said and say he didn't disappear.

Ushgarak
Yes indeed, an old debate.

The old answer, of course, was why shouldn't it disappear, as it was established that fading into the Force was not s standard Jedi thing, as people may have assumed before TPM was shown.

Now, I am all for QGJ being instrumental in changing this, and then we could have had an interesting plot point about how he did it, despite not apparently fading away like that.

But as queeq says, GL in the end just shoehorned it in and all it does now is leave everyone confused. This one definitely should have been done properly.

queeq
Not just this one. wink

Darth Luminous
Originally posted by steverules_2
I like how people question why Qui Gons body never dissapeared but they never question why Anakins body didn't dissapear either and yet Anakin actually became a force ghost unlike Qui Gon

Well, technically they both became Force ghosts, it's just that Qui-Gon did not become a visible ghost.

On the ROTJ DVD commentary, Lucas seems to say otherwise: that Luke is burning his father's body.

That was the original intent of the scene. If Anakin's body was supposed to disappear, why not show this in the film? Instead we see Anakin die and Luke stay there with his not-disappearing body.

Anakin's funeral pyre is mirrored by that of Qui-Gon. Why should Luke be giving a Jedi funeral to an empty set of Sith armor?

C-3POTheClever
True. But he lived for 800 years... Qui Gon only 60 or so. Didn't Yoda live for 900 years?

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Darth Luminous
Well, technically they both became Force ghosts, it's just that Qui-Gon did not become a visible ghost.

On the ROTJ DVD commentary, Lucas seems to say otherwise: that Luke is burning his father's body.

That was the original intent of the scene. If Anakin's body was supposed to disappear, why not show this in the film? Instead we see Anakin die and Luke stay there with his not-disappearing body.

Anakin's funeral pyre is mirrored by that of Qui-Gon. Why should Luke be giving a Jedi funeral to an empty set of Sith armor?
I agree with you 100% on that.

queeq
Contradictions and Changes of Mind - the life and times of George Lucas.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.