New Mortal Kombat Movie CONFIRMED

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
Did a search, so if i missed it, my bad.

Anyway:

"Mortal Kombat is heading back to the big-screen.

New Line is hiring the filmmakers of the popular Mortal Kombat digital series, made earlier this year by corporate sibling Warner Bros. Digital Distribution, to take on a new adaptation of the classic 1990s fighting game. There is no actor attached and the new story will not serve as an extension of the game of digital series."

Link: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=47333& amp;t=New_iMortal_Kombati_Movie_In_The_Works_Kevin
_Tancharoen_To_Direct

quanchi112
I caught this today on a movie site myself. They will probably somehow find a way to screw it up and go in another direction from the web series.

Ridley_Prime
Oh God, Kevin Tancharoen better not screw this up then like he more or less did when it came to the Legacy mini-series.

ADarksideJedi
I bet this will not be as good as the old one in the nintys. I don't care what anyone says I liked it!

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I bet this will not be as good as the old one in the nintys. I don't care what anyone says I liked it!
Aye, that one was a cult classic, and I'm still questioning myself whether this newly confirmed one will be anywhere as good as that.

Personally, I don't think MK Legacy/Rebirth showed enough respect for the source material anymore. The original movie changed some aspects of the plot, but they did it for a reason, and for ease of story-telling. Kevin Tancharoen just changes things because he thinks it's cooler, and I think that's a bad reason. I don't mind the new "rule of awesome" and "gritty is better" style, but still. I think Kevin Tancharoen just wants to make his own movie, and slap the Mortal Kombat name on it.

Mindset
YES PR YES!

Patient_Leech
BRING BACK PAUL ANDERSON!! The first one is a classic bad movie.. lol

Ridley_Prime
So far, I'll say that Paul Anderson >>> Kevin Tancharoen, as far as MK at least.

ADarksideJedi
I am not going to brother to see it. I want to stay with the old one no matter what. I am surprise that they are making a new one since the second one they made of the movie was so bad that I thought they would had learn there lesson.

Kazenji
They're making a new one because of the recent web series that was made not because of the second movie.

Patient_Leech
,Originally posted by Kazenji
They're making a new one because of the recent web series that was made not because of the second movie.

Yeah, and I think I saw some of the web series a few months ago. I mean, it looked sort of "hip" with updated effects, so I guess that sparked some studio interest. Didn't look particularly interesting to me, though. Seemed like more style over substance. Then again, I'm not sure how you COULD bring substance to Mortal Kombat.. lol

the ninjak
I liked the original trailer that got released. The one before the digital series.
A real world no magic setting. And R rated brutal fight scenes.
Super assassins vs serial killers.

Looked promising.

Ridley_Prime
A magic kind of setting with different realms and such is basically what makes the MK universe what it is though. While I didn't necessarily mind that different spin on it, I'd still prefer something closer to the games...

mardook
I remember seeing the original in theatres all those years ago. I don't know how this will translate in the new film era, better cgi, sure, better music, possibly. I hope they find martial artists who know how to act, or at least athletic actors. As for story, I think its really about brining in the audience and introducing them to the idea of MK. Build up the tension of the fight for Earth realm. Not have be the main story for the first movie, build towards it. Part 1, Intro to characters, the tournaments, intro to the idea of realms, supernatural shit. Part 2. More characters and character development, elaborate on the mythos of MK, the story of Raiden, Shang Shou, Liu Kang, etc. Part 2. Further character development, more mythos, the battle for earth realm comes into play, big battles, fatalities as the characters develope their powers, etc. THE END!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

Yeah, and I think I saw some of the web series a few months ago. I mean, it looked sort of "hip" with updated effects, so I guess that sparked some studio interest. Didn't look particularly interesting to me, though. Seemed like more style over substance. Then again, I'm not sure how you COULD bring substance to Mortal Kombat.. lol

Some of it was okay

only ones i did'nt like were the ones with Kitana and Mileena could've done better with it

thats the prob with alot of fighting games the story is very thing on plot.

BruceSkywalker
will wait and judge after casting announcements

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Kazenji

Well still it is pointless and I am already not going to see it anyway so it does not matter to me. wink

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by mardook
I remember seeing the original in theatres all those years ago. I don't know how this will translate in the new film era, better cgi, sure, better music, possibly. I hope they find martial artists who know how to act, or at least athletic actors. As for story, I think its really about brining in the audience and introducing them to the idea of MK. Build up the tension of the fight for Earth realm. Not have be the main story for the first movie, build towards it. Part 1, Intro to characters, the tournaments, intro to the idea of realms, supernatural shit. Part 2. More characters and character development, elaborate on the mythos of MK, the story of Raiden, Shang Shou, Liu Kang, etc. Part 2. Further character development, more mythos, the battle for earth realm comes into play, big battles, fatalities as the characters develope their powers, etc. THE END!
This is more or less a step in the right direction.

Originally posted by Kazenji
Some of it was okay

only ones i did'nt like were the ones with Kitana and Mileena could've done better with it

thats the prob with alot of fighting games the story is very thing on plot.
It's not so much the case with MK though like it is with other fighters. And yeah, the Kitana & Mileena episode was dumb.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
will wait and judge after casting announcements
Ian Anthony Dane's already confirmed to return as Scorpion. Only other person from the previous cast I'm hoping to stay is Michael Jae White. Sonya needs a younger actress.

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Well still it is pointless and I am already not going to see it anyway so it does not matter to me. wink
I'm probably not expecting it to surpass the original film myself, but I'm gonna still at least give it a chance.

ADarksideJedi
If you do let us know what you think.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
T

It's not so much the case with MK though like it is with other fighters. And yeah, the Kitana & Mileena episode was dumb.

Well yeah now the franchise has a good storyline all through the games (Excluding MKvDC) but going all the way back to the first game when it was something quick Midway put together the game was very thin on storyline.

vladereign
I hope this would be great

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.