Green Lantern vs. Green Lantern

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mini Bennett
Kilowog takes on Alan Scott.

- Both are IC and blood lusted

- Battle takes place on Oa

- Alan Scott doesn't have his huge Starheart amp

- Winner by knockout or TKO.

Who wins and why?

JakeTheBank
Alan Scott, even without the massive amp(s) he's received throughout the years, is still at least on the level of Hal and Kyle.

He beats down Kilowog.

Mini Bennett
So, I assume you go by Hal Jordan & Kyle Rayner > Alan Scott >> Kilowog?

Where would Guy Gardner and John Stewart stand in that?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Mini Bennett
So, I assume you go by Hal Jordan & Kyle Rayner > Alan Scott >> Kilowog?

Where would Guy Gardner and John Stewart stand in that?

I actually go by Alan Scott > Hal Jordan > Kyle Rayner > Guy/John >= Kilowog. And that's without factoring in Alan's wild power ups he's gotten over the years.

Mindset
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I actually go by Alan Scott > Hal Jordan > Kyle Rayner > Guy/John >= Kilowog. And that's without factoring in Alan's wild power ups he's gotten over the years. laughing out loud

Comic gold.

-Pr-
I actually go by Alan Scott > Hal Jordan > Kyle Rayner > Guy/John >= Kilowog. And that's without factoring in Alan's wild power ups he's gotten over the years.

thumb up

rotiart

I actually think I agree with this assessment.

Mini Bennett

Just wondering Jake, where would you place Sinestro in this equation?

Bentley
Kyle reigns supreme.

Digi
Originally posted by Mini Bennett
Just wondering Jake, where would you place Sinestro in this equation?

He'd be at Hal's level.

It's worth noting that the list there (which I agree with) is raw power. For all of his psychotic feats, Alan doesn't have some of the nifty versatility feats that Hal and Kyle do. It's arguable that they have a wider range of powers with the ring than Alan does, though Alan blows them away on pure power.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Digi
He'd be at Hal's level.

It's worth noting that the list there (which I agree with) is raw power. For all of his psychotic feats, Alan doesn't have some of the nifty versatility feats that Hal and Kyle do. It's arguable that they have a wider range of powers with the ring than Alan does, though Alan blows them away on pure power.

Agreed on Sinestro.

I do think that nowadays versatility among the Lanterns is pretty much non-existent, which is a shame as they've been relegated to energy beams and constructs. Alan's displayed enough versatility to compete, though, imo, including elemental attacks, having precognition "danger sense", being able to teleport without opening spacial warps, the ability to see ghosts/the spirit world, etc.

In any case, Alan's ridiculous when it comes to pure power. thumb up

Digi
Agreed on Sinestro.

I do think that nowadays versatility among the Lanterns is pretty much non-existent, which is a shame as they've been relegated to energy beams and constructs. Alan's displayed enough versatility to compete, though, imo, including elemental attacks, having precognition "danger sense", being able to teleport without opening spacial warps, the ability to see ghosts/the spirit world, etc.

In any case, Alan's ridiculous when it comes to pure power. thumb up

Prior to Flashpoint, it was arguable that Hal/Kyle were still better for, say, tourney purposes. They had some nutty versatility feats that were never retconned until Flashpoint, despite the fact that they had been slowly dumbed down in recent years. I'm not saying Alan's without versatility, I've read a lot of his stuff. He's just always been the type to "throw the book at them" so to speak, rather than doing fancy matter or time manip, shrinking, tech-building, a bunch of others I'm forgetting, etc. If the links are still working, the respect threads are great places for those two to say "wtf, when did they do THAT?!"

JakeTheBank
Prior to Flashpoint, it was arguable that Hal/Kyle were still better for, say, tourney purposes. They had some nutty versatility feats that were never retconned until Flashpoint, despite the fact that they had been slowly dumbed down in recent years. I'm not saying Alan's without versatility, I've read a lot of his stuff. He's just always been the type to "throw the book at them" so to speak, rather than doing fancy matter or time manip, shrinking, tech-building, a bunch of others I'm forgetting, etc.

True enough.

I'm still pissed about Alan dying, though.

Digi
True enough.

I'm still pissed about Alan dying, though.

It's just DC trolling, he'll be back with the relaunch. But yeah, dumb. Two panels for the funeral. My issue wasn't with him dying, it was how quickly and moronically they wrapped up the plotline. They knew Flashpoint was happening months, maybe years, in advance. Gotta script that sh*t a little tighter.

Mr. Terrific's "I got better?" explanation to his plotline was even more unfathomable. Deep, emotional loss of what he values most with a unique "villain" that robbed him of intelligence, then "er, I got better" two issues later so he can Deus Ex in the finale. Just an utter lack of storytelling responsibility.

abhilegend
Prior to Flashpoint, it was arguable that Hal/Kyle were still better for, say, tourney purposes. They had some nutty versatility feats that were never retconned until Flashpoint, despite the fact that they had been slowly dumbed down in recent years. I'm not saying Alan's without versatility, I've read a lot of his stuff. He's just always been the type to "throw the book at them" so to speak, rather than doing fancy matter or time manip, shrinking, tech-building, a bunch of others I'm forgetting, etc. If the links are still working, the respect threads are great places for those two to say "wtf, when did they do THAT?!"
Why, what happened to GL's versatility? Was there any official retcon in flashpoint that they can only make constructs and fire energy beams?

Uriel005
Originally posted by abhilegend
Why, what happened to GL's versatility? Was there any official retcon in flashpoint that they can only make constructs and fire energy beams? GL versatility used to include cloning, time warping, matter manips, energy manips, energy drains, lantern traps, worm holes. A lot was lost by the corps.

abhilegend
So is it official that GLs can't do anything you mentioned now or it is once again Geoff Johns forgetting powers for the sake of story?

JakeTheBank
They just don't do it. And Lanterns have been treated as such for seven years now since Rebirth.

Doesn't make feats inadmissible, it just means currently, they're not written that way.

-Pr-
It's more just the writer writing it the way he views it. There's been nothing official about it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.