Syndicate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Another old PC game reborn as a First Person Shooter

ewwtznVkSxA

Starbreeze is involved so it should turn out alright.

Smasandian
It looks really, really good.

I never understand the backlash with old games being reinvented into a new genre.
Is it cash grab to make people buy the game based on title alone? Maybe, but as well, consumers generally will buy a FPS over an isometric tactical strategy game.

In the end, if the developers can get the same feel and atmosphere the original can, I think it's a good thing.

RE: Blaxican
Looks really fun.

Like a more over the top Deuce Ex.

Smasandian
Yeah, I think it's a pure shooter though. Looks great and I do like Starbreeze games.

-Pr-
I played the original game on the Amiga 600, and loved it to death. I don't mind them making it a shooter, but they have to preserve the atmosphere I feel.

Smasandian
That I agree with.

Similar to how Fallout 3 was received. Yes, it was basically a Bethesda game and an FPS view, people shat their pants but it felt like a Fallout game and nobody cared after that.

I never played the original so I can comment but in terms of potential customers, what's the ratio between new players and gamers who played the original? 70-30?

Kazenji
I remember playing Syndicate Wars on a demo disc off a magazine, Not sure what i was ment to do but i was just going around blowing shit up.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Smasandian
That I agree with.

Similar to how Fallout 3 was received. Yes, it was basically a Bethesda game and an FPS view, people shat their pants but it felt like a Fallout game and nobody cared after that.

I never played the original so I can comment but in terms of potential customers, what's the ratio between new players and gamers who played the original? 70-30?

Probably, if not higher.

Originally posted by Kazenji
I remember playing Syndicate Wars on a demo disc off a magazine, Not sure what i was ment to do but i was just going around blowing shit up.

There were some levels where you could do that. Some where you couldn't. It had some very nice mechanics though, and a small level of good customisation.

Say, do you bring an extra clip, or do you bring a mini-brainwashing machine that will turn civilians in to your bodyguards? Awesome stuff.

Kazenji
XbA-KnSRu38

Smasandian
Looks like the game is going to be ****ing brutally violent.

I like the game play video they had. I was impressed with how the shooting was much slower and less frantic than other shooters.

-Pr-
Interesting... I'll be giving it a look.

Smasandian
I think EA should release a demo for this game. A good demo would get a lot of people interested in it.

-Pr-
I think EA should release a demo for this game. A good demo would get a lot of people interested in it.

Agreed.

Kazenji
WhRFWVWSFuA#!

Smasandian
Looks really good.

The type of game I always enjoy. Butcher's Bay was an awesome game.

Kazenji
This game has got the banned treatment in Australia....no expression

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114858-Syndicate-Banned-in-Australia-UPDATED

*Face palm* jeez our classifiction board are living in fantasy land would've thought they have realised by now its not just kids that play games with all the polls that have been done.

-Pr-
If it's anything like the old game, I honestly am not surprised one bit.

Kazenji
They mentioned blowing limbs off with guns and seeing bone and what not

Uhhhhh....we got allowed Soldier Of Fortune, Just no consistancy with the games over here, Allow a select few in and then ban the next one and its not much different to the other ones.

-Pr-
I wonder if the "human shield" mechanic will be in this one.

KingD19
With your "brain chip" being able to take over peoples motor functions, you can probably get them to be meat shields for you.

-Pr-
Originally posted by KingD19
With your "brain chip" being able to take over peoples motor functions, you can probably get them to be meat shields for you.

Nice. The more it's like the old games the better.

the ninjak
Banned in Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear we should drag all the conservatives out into the street and behead them!

French Revolution Style! We still haven't got MK either!

RRRRRAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kazenji
Just Import the games....

KingD19
Come on now, we can't desecrate the wholesome nature and sanctity of Aussie Land with a game that lets you make people shoot themselves in the face...gonna be so awesome.

Kazenji
Achievement list

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/syndicate/achievements/

-Pr-
It's out tomorrow...

Kazenji
I'll do an import

also were getting an R 18+ for games now but does'nt come into affect until next year.

Smasandian
Was the Darkness 2 banned in Australia?

Kazenji
Nope.....don't know how that managed to slip through and this one gets refused.

Smasandian
Yeah, I'm playing The Darkness 2 and it's pretty crazy. There's sex, extreme violence and swearing.

I can't see Syndicate being worst.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Kazenji
Nope.....don't know how that managed to slip through and this one gets refused.

Wait, wait, wait. This gets allowed

_-4PqfF_VSA&feature=showob

But they don't allow Syndicate? You have no idea how happy I am not living in Australia.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X

But they don't allow Syndicate? You have no idea how happy I am not living in Australia.

Besides games getting banned here alot of things cost alot more here its just ridiculous.

Smasandian
Has anybody played this game?

I finished it today. I found it quite enjoyable. It's strange but both Syndicate and The Darkness 2 share similarities. Both are linear, story driven shooters with the tendency to stay in the FPS view throughout the whole game (aside from a few instances) and both have great gunplay. I like Syndicate better because I like the setting/atmosphere better as well as the guns but both are good games.

They also share a somewhat added twist when it comes to shooting people. You control two tentacles in The Darkness while Syndicate allows you to breach enemies chips (basically hacking) to do cool things. For instance, you can get attacked by a group of peeps, breach one guy and turn into a suicide bomber, then breach another guy to persuade him to start shooting his friends. Lastly, you can breach their guns to backfire, sending them falling down and you rush up and break their necks. It's pretty damn cool.

-Pr-
I'm going to be getting it, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Glad to see it getting positive mentions.

Nibedicus
Hi all! New here. BIG video game fan. Playing Syndicate on the PS3. It's nice but I think needs quite a few improvements. Been playing it for a few days now. The coop play is the most fun aspect of the game but I hate how you can't seem to be able to get new weapons other than the standard shotgun-sniper-rifle-assault rifle-smg set that you start with. sad That and the freakin coop play is much too easy even on hard... >_<

Kazenji
Has anybody played this game?

Obviously not me

but i've seen some of the review scores its all over the place 5/5, 7.5, 8.2

i think i may have seen a 5/10.

Nibedicus
I'd say 7/10 from what I've played so far.

Smasandian
Yeah, some people love it, some people don't.

I think it's a solid 8.

All the weapons handle really well, they sound excellent and have good second fire types. The game meant to be a realistic as possible so your not going to get Resistance type weapons.

Nibedicus
Syndicate was rushed out incomplete, IMO. It's still ridden with irreconcilable bugs (occasionally getting stuck in place in a middle of a mission kinda sux balls) and coulda been SUCH a great game if they simply stuck to the formula (fun strategic management of resources/tech) on what made the original Syndicate great. Instead, they catered it to the least common denominator (pure FPS fans who would hate to have to micromanage before getting out and shooting stuff). This game woulda been great with just a few more months of development. The way it is now, I can't make myself give it anything more than a 7/10. Easily had the potential to be a 9/10 or 10/10, tho... /sad

Nemesis X
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5478-Syndicate

Kazenji
Originally posted by the ninjak
Banned in Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear we should drag all the conservatives out into the street and behead them!

French Revolution Style! We still haven't got MK either!

RRRRRAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Party!!! band

Australian Senate passes the R18+ legislation

Phanteros
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117983-Syndicate-Was-a-Lost-Battle-From-the-Get-Go

I find it funny how Starbreeze is bitching about small noise from the fans being the problem with the game not selling and not the fact that the game was a fps in an already saturated market. And "Risk"? Please, they made the game a so "safe" by making it a fps with the usual multplayer flare and banked on name brand to pull through. not to mention you released it in Deus ex:HR's time frame which made it obvious it was merely a cashin attempt its success. Fans wouldn't buy it because its not syndicate at its heart and people aren't wouldn't buy it because its just a medicre shooter with slap together gimmicks.

does working with EA turn people into dickheads or something?

RE: Blaxican
When have you ever seen a game developer take responibility for their shitty games? If the guy had just came out abd said "yeah, we did a sucky job with that, and that's why it failed" he would have lost his job.

You can't just shit on your own company like that; not till years later.

Edit- Not that I'm defending Starbreeze. I'm just saying, the dude's statement isn't unusual.

Phanteros
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
When have you ever seen a game developer take responibility for their shitty games? If the guy had just came out abd said "yeah, we did a sucky job with that, and that's why it failed" he would have lost his job.

You can't just shit on your own company like that; not till years later. I believe that their were some cases of devs stating their game suck such as Peter before leaving Lionhead said some negative criticism about Fable 2 and he wasn't fired. But the point is insulting your consumer base isn't going to make things better as well.

-Pr-
It wasn't the Syndicate that it could have been, tbh.

Smasandian
It wasn't a shitty game though.

Was it the best? No, but it was well made in my opinion.

-Pr-
It wasn't a shitty game though.

Was it the best? No, but it was well made in my opinion.

Oh, agreed. I just think making it a shooter was a poor choice, given the market. Make it an RTS like the old one, and it would have gotten a bit more notice imo.

Kazenji
Even Peter Molyneux would've liked to have been involved with it.

Smasandian
Originally posted by -Pr-
Oh, agreed. I just think making it a shooter was a poor choice, given the market. Make it an RTS like the old one, and it would have gotten a bit more notice imo.

True.

I had fun with it. I like the ability to exploded ammo, take over peeps and turn them into suicide machines.

When the action was hectic, it flowed really nice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.