Nvidia: PC Gaming Revenue Will Surpass Consoles In 2014

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
PC's have already surpassed consoles quality and graphics wise for years now. But not it may outsell consoles. Why am I not surprised?..

http://www.megagames.com/news/nvidia-pc-gaming-revenue-will-surpass-consoles-2014

Smasandian
Major reason is Steam. People can pretty much get every game released on the PC on Steam and not go to stores where PC shelves are usually barren.

Digi
Right. Digital distribution.

Though PCs have, for a LONG time, had the superior technology and number of games. For many it was an ease-of-use issue, because running PC games with the proper technology requirements was much more difficult than popping in a console game, knowing the requirements were built in. Steam and similar services make it easier to buy and run everything, and consoles are more and more like PCs now with their options, so there's less demand for the relative historic simplicity of consoles.

Probably 75% of my gaming, lifetime, has been on the PC. In any era, even when it lagged behind in sales, you could make a case that it was the best platform for gaming. Good to see the pendulum swinging back its way again.

Smasandian
I'm on the fence to say that PC is the best platform.

I'm 50-50.

I think console and PC are roughly equal. For instance, I like how with consoles, you buy a game and it works while with the PC, if it doesn't work, you can sometimes fiddle with it to make it work. If the game doesn't work on console, it's usually a long wait for the eventual patch while on PC, it can be a day.

There's pros and cons for both. I played equally. It all depends on what type of genre the game is and if I want to buy the game. If I don't, I usually just rent the game on console.

FistOfThe North
I'd say 70-30 Pc's. One of the main reasons, innovation and optimization that happens what every 10 months compared to the consoles 5 to possibly now a ten year span.

For example have you seen Rage? Read this..

At QuakeCon 2011, Carmack offered many technical insights of the development and differences between the three main platforms (PC, 360, Play Station 3, noting that it was not easy developing such an optimized engine to be able to smoothly run on consoles and still having the best artistically looking game on consoles. He also affirmed that the PC platform is as much as 10 times faster than the current generation of consoles.

http://teamalpha7.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=685

RE: Blaxican
PC's won't outsell consoles. What's going to happen is that consoles are just going to turn into PC's that you can't upgrade.

I prefer consoles to PC's because I like being able to spend 200 bucks on a system and play all the latest games for 10 years with absolutely no hassle. I can live with less impressive graphics, since all graphics look like shit to me, anyway.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
PC's won't outsell consoles. What's going to happen is that consoles are just going to turn into PC's that you can't upgrade.

I prefer consoles to PC's because I like being able to spend 200 bucks on a system and play all the latest games for 10 years with absolutely no hassle. I can live with less impressive graphics, since all graphics look like shit to me, anyway.

Lets see how it goes. To be honest I doubt they will outsell consoles. Specially when the next-generation is on its way.

Burning thought
PCs are much better in most comparisons be it hardware, game variety, graphics etc but the problem is their hardware is so diverse that often, old games become obselete a year or two down the line or some hardware does not run as well with some games, their a lot more complicated. Its nice to have a system like Blax said that will be able to run most of its games if not all with ease, buying a game that you know that unless theres a virus or technical fault involved should run every time since the system to system is more or less the same. However theres only so many games I like on consoles, so I spend a lot more time on PC.

I am a PC player and I would never say the ease of use of a console outweighs the pros of the PC, e.g. having more of my favourite games on them (RTS genre) and MMOs, more accurate FPS gameplay and most of it being fully modable making even some of the less interesting games or older ones brilliant again thanks to the community but it is nice to just rely on the console sometimes.

Smasandian
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I'd say 70-30 Pc's. One of the main reasons, innovation and optimization that happens what every 10 months compared to the consoles 5 to possibly now a ten year span.

For example have you seen Rage? Read this..

At QuakeCon 2011, Carmack offered many technical insights of the development and differences between the three main platforms (PC, 360, Play Station 3, noting that it was not easy developing such an optimized engine to be able to smoothly run on consoles and still having the best artistically looking game on consoles. He also affirmed that the PC platform is as much as 10 times faster than the current generation of consoles.

http://teamalpha7.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=685

Nice quote considering Rage is a very good example of the bad qualities of PC.

Look at the Rage Steam forums and news articles criticizing ID Software for releasing a buggy game. The majority of people are experience incredibly bad texture pop-in, horrible screen tearing and stuttering.

I have the game for the PC and those issues are true.

As I said before, both systems have ups and downs. It's based on preference.

As well, it's true that PC have innovation and such but there's a cost associated to that innovation. You need to buy the upgraded cards/CPU's to take advantage of them.

Rewmac
The problem is that PCs are hard to develop for and hard to make really good sales. While consoles are easy to develop for and they produce normal sales.

Smasandian
That's not true.

They are not hard to develop for. It's probably easier.

The problem is that developers need to take into account different hardware setups but companies like Nvidia and ATI/AMD are making it much easier to do so. That's probably the reason why we are seeing more and more companies releasing PC games.

But the idea that it's hard to develop a game on PC is wrong in my opinion.

dadudemon
I'd like to submit that they are all "personal computers" with just different operating systems and API.

Meaning, the lines being drawn are fairly arbitrary.

With consoles, you still do not get stable API throughout the life-cycle (these days...back in the days of NES and Sega, you did). Sure, it's more stable than PCs...but you can pretty much stick with a certain version and not worry about it not working for a few years.

I see it all blending. The PS3 is practically a linux box. It's like an Apple version of a Linux Box (locked down).

-Pr-
Sandy Bridge is going to be a huge deal as time goes in, imo.

Digi
I guess I never minded the fiddly bits of getting PC games to run without hassle. I was the kid messing with source files to import my own music into games and tweak damage modifiers, well before games had decicated mod communities. But for others, it's traditionally been a legitimate gripe.

Smasandian
Yeah, I like how if something doesn't work correctly there is somebody on the Internet that knows how to fix usually.

For instance, there's problems in Rage about blurry textures. People figure out how to unlock higher rez textures and stop from the extreme pop-up by messing with the config file (or in the case, creating a cfg file).

You can't do that on consoles but unlike consoles, you sometimes can get a problem that not a lot of people have and there is no fix for it and because your one video card is not working with the game, your pretty much ****ed. It happens a lot with older games. You never have the problem with consoles.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by -Pr-
Sandy Bridge is going to be a huge deal as time goes in, imo.

Ivy Bridge?

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Smasandian

Look at the Rage Steam forums and news articles criticizing ID Software for releasing a buggy game. The majority of people are experience incredibly bad texture pop-in, horrible screen tearing and stuttering.

As well, it's true that PC have innovation and such but there's a cost associated to that innovation. You need to buy the upgraded cards/CPU's to take advantage of them.

It's nothing any upcoming patches won't fix. you should know that. And it'll be the same with bf3.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Ivy Bridge?

They're related, yeah.

Smasandian
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
It's nothing any upcoming patches won't fix. you should know that. And it'll be the same with bf3.

It's still a bad quality.

That was my point.

FistOfThe North
It's still a bad quality.

That was my point.

Compared to pc games practically all console games are are of bad quality.

§P0oONY

As well, it's true that PC have innovation and such but there's a cost associated to that innovation. You need to buy the upgraded cards/CPU's to take advantage of them. You do realise that Rage is just a poor Console port? This game does not show any of the PCs flaws... just that of lazy game developers.

FistOfThe North
"Rage on PC is actually a decent game."

Despite one of the worse launches in years, a good game is hiding under a tonne of graphical issues..

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/275998,rage-on-pc-is-actually-a-decent-game.aspx

Smasandian
Yeah, I never said it was a bad game. I'm playing it right now and enjoying it.

But it's an example about the problems with PC gaming. You get these issues more times than console.

And it's bullshit blaming these problems on consoles. Id Software ****ed up plain and simple.

FistOfThe North
I just picked up rage today and i did see the issues. the tearing the texture pop ups.

the lack of video options blew.

i thought idtech 5 was gonna blow me away but it didn't. but i haven't given up on it though. it's the first time the engines being used so. it seemed as if things, like the rocks, weren't in high def from up close yet from afar they looked crisp.

but i gotta say the sky is the best looking i've ever seen in video games ever. if only those clouds weren't static. if they moved they that would've been just perfect. but i still found myself stopping every once in a while just to look up at it for the sky just for the sake of it's beauty.

Animations were good too. We'll just have to wait for the patch.

Smasandian
The animations are killer.

But as you pointed out, the textures looks like shit up close.

Which is a problem because 3/4 quarters of the game is up close.

FistOfThe North
did you notice that too?

and what happened to the "virtual texturing" feature inside the id tech 5 engine that was supose to solve this issue.

maybe rage was made just to see what they would fix within the engine so the can optimize it for doom 4.

Smasandian
After reading a few things it's something to do with what Id Software calls, "megatextures".

It's a different way to apply and create textures in games. That's the reason why textures look like shit up close, the texture pop-in and such.

Games 4-5 years ago have better textures than Rage.

FistOfThe North
There's always this..

"How To Unlock Rage's High Resolution Textures With A Few Simple Tweaks"

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

And then there's this..

id Software Releases RAGE Patch, (on 10/10) Carmack Curses.

ha. i still respect the man though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/RAGE-Radeon-GeForce-FPS-Pc-Gaming,13653.html

S_D_J
I don't think that's going to happen (PC games outselling consoles). While PC games always will look better than consoles games, there's the fact that PC never ceases to evolve and games can not be run properly on old hardware, and sometimes old hardware is six moths erm

It cost much more than it does to maintain a console. Hardcore gamer are not the only ones buying games, I doubt someone who games regularly ( I don't mean casual mother/grandpa gamers) will be willing to invest as much time and money to play on a PC.

what happens when the next gen console arrive and they're on par with current PCs?, sure that will only last like a year tops, but still

There's also streaming gaming, no need for console or expensive Gaphics Cards, MoBos or Rams... that could catch on

Smasandian
The same old excuse that you always need to update your computer.

If you want to play newer games with extremely high resolutions and top of the line settings then yes, you might need to upgrade your vid card every year or so but medium settings and 1600x1050 graphics still look better than consoles and that's a 4 year old computer.

It's all about optimization in games.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.