Darth Maul returns.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheMagicPillow
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/13/clone-wars-darth-maul-lives

Spring 2012 Darth Maul will appear on the clone wars, sickly and skinnier than ever.

Kind of annoying that it takes away Obi-wan's achievement of being the first to kill a sith lord in a thousand years, but i'm still looking forward to it.

steverules_2
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! Although he can returned in the comics, I dunno if this is considered canon or not but he returned with metal legs and tried to kill Luke (or someone) but kenobi defeated him and Owen shot his brains out. Was set obviously between Ep 3 and 4?

LanceWindu
Originally posted by steverules_2
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! Although he can returned in the comics, I dunno if this is considered canon or not but he returned with metal legs and tried to kill Luke (or someone) but kenobi defeated him and Owen shot his brains out. Was set obviously between Ep 3 and 4?

Far from canon.

It's from Star Wars: Visionaries. It was just a collection of short stories from concept artists who worked on the prequels. They would conceive a concept drawing and write from there. The Darth Maul story is a major "what-if".

S_D_J
exactly

but he's indeed coming to the animated show

This blows

I love Maul, but this is ridiculous

queeq
Lucasfilm has run out of imagination...

Hybris
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/10/darth-maul-clone-wars-teaser/

http://www.forevergeek.com/wp-content/media/2011/10/darthmaul_clonewars-930x567.jpg

Preview of Maul's return. Looks like his time in exile has made him a bit crazy...

I guess they based his look on the infinities story line where he survises and attacks Obi-Wan on Tatooine:

http://www.jessejamescomics.com/site/images/easyblog_images/44/visionaries%20maul.jpg

queeq
And who stitched him together?

S_D_J
Oh dear!

I've forgotten all about this...

He's gonna be voice by Sam Witwer (SW Force Unleashed, Smallville, SW Clone Wars, Being Human)

I can't believe they're actually going through with this.

Originally posted by queeq
And who stitched him together?
How's he even alive?

queeq
Very good point...

darthmaul1
I thought in the clone wars cartoon he was justed cloned from some of his blood. That half maul half robot thing is from a comic in 2005 or 2006 isn't it?

Hybris
I'm not sure about the year, but it's part of the Star Wars Visionaries comic(s), which was some sort of 'what if scenario'. It was hardly meant as canon, but I can imagine it's just another step on the road of recycling pre-existing EU material (the Zygerian arc, the battle between the Mon Calamari and the Quarren and so on).

DARTH POWER
They will have to make it convincing.

IMO his survival should be to do with either Nightsister magic, or something related to what Sidious told Anakin about how the Force can be used to stop people from dying.

That would be cool. What will be really bad is if he's just been stitched up with Mechanical legs like in that Visionary comic.

Anyway we'll find out in a few weeks. Im pretty excited so Im hoping Il stay that way while watching it and not crying instead!

Shey Tapani
I dont think he will show up in the next episode.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
They will have to make it convincing.
or something related to what Sidious told Anakin about how the Force can be used to stop people from dying.

I would agree but in Darth Maul Shadow Hunter iirc he's more versed in the lightsaber and assassin kind of skills. So I doubt he could do a trick of that level with the force. I'm not saying hes terrible at it just not as well trained as some.

DARTH POWER
I just meant that as the method of him being alive/resurrected. I didn't say it will be all down to him performing the miracle himself.

Like I also mentioned Nightsister magic could be involved.

Im just hoping anyway. He's probably gna show up with Metal legs and arms, and everyone shouting "OH COME ON!!"

Originally posted by Shey Tapani
I dont think he will show up in the next episode.

Probably not till the last 2.. Can tell by the names "Brothers" and "Revenge"..

But I think I wnt watch any of them now until all 4 are out so I can watch them together.

Might avoid these boards for a month so I dnt get spoilers Lol

BlackZero30x
I just meant that as the method of him being alive/resurrected. I didn't say it will be all down to him performing the miracle himself.

Like I also mentioned Nightsister magic could be involved.

Im just hoping anyway. He's probably gna show up with Metal legs and arms, and everyone shouting "OH COME ON!!"

Indeed. Though Im under the impression that the emperor was the only one with that knowledge and idk if he would do that for an alien considering his personal bias against them. It may be the nightsister magic but I have felt like it's just gonna be robot parts

queeq
More Darth Vader studies

DARTH POWER
Another thing they will have to explain (when he shows up with his metal arms and legs) is what the heck he's been doing for the last 10-12 years??! Just chilling out in the outer rim Lol

queeq
Building his robot legs no doubt. And selling the franchise to Grievous.

S_D_J
the only way I could probably be ok with this is he turns out to be a clone... which is very unlikely

... guess I have to prepare to facepalm when they show those robot legs

no expression

queeq
I better warm it up.

BlackZero30x
well ive see darth maul.....I know how he looks and how he has his legs back.......
it is in fact robot legs

http://www.ugo.com/tv/star-wars-the-clone-wars-darth-maul-trailer

queeq
Hmmm... still weird.

S_D_J

queeq
Sweet...

Ordo
I havent posted yet how much this f*cking enrages me

queeq
Well... post it...

C-3POTheClever
How can he return if he's dead? Is it his spirit?

queeq
No, he's back, they just fitted a few robotic legs on him and he's walking... That's the logic of SW today.

C-3POTheClever
No, he's back, they just fitted a few robotic legs on him and he's walking... That's the logic of SW today.
Very poor logic! Did a sith lord bring him back to life as well? Because just doing that wouldn't be enough. I'm suprised his body was even still not disintergrated.

queeq
It's a silly turn of events... to me it demonstrates a lack of imagination with the makers of TCW...

Hybris
It just shows that they are parasiting away existing EU material smile Anyway, I've seen the concerned episode and I feel like they should have broadcasted this episode along with the next episode...

queeq
Oh? What do you mean?

Galan007
So, has Maul officially returned in the show yet? If so, which episode? If not, which episode is he slated to return in?

queeq
He did, two weeks ago.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
How can he return if he's dead? Is it his spirit? I just like to go with the logic that he is an alien and maybe getting cut in half isn't really that bad of a thing....like an earth worm..

Maybe his legs are still out there running around too...wanting revenge and what not.

That or magic voodoo space lady has something to do with it.

I dunno...

eh this show is crap.

ares834
Originally posted by Galan007
So, has Maul officially returned in the show yet? If so, which episode? If not, which episode is he slated to return in?

Yeah he has, in yesterday's episode.

Galan007
Thanks, fellas!

Galan007
Just watched 'the return of Maul'. It was... Pretty lame, imo. I'm sure he will shape up in subsequent episodes, but I kind of expected him to *already* be as badass as ever, and even *more* knowledgeable in the ways of the dark side/force.

...I didn't expect (or want) to see a malnourished and mentally broken nutjob, with 6 spider-esque robotic legs, attached to a spider-esque robotic abdomen. none

TheMagicPillow
Just finished watching it. I'm most likely in the minority but i really liked it.
Being trapped on that planet for more than 10 years (at least until they explain where he got his legs and how long he's actually been there, thats what i'm assuming) would probably make anyone go nuts. Really liked the interpretation of him, not all sith lords need to be as badass as the last.
In my opinion you can have a nutjob like maul still be cool.

And based on the teaser for the season finale, it looks like he got his sh** together mentally (for the most part lol).

As a side note, the guy who voiced maul is Sam Witwer, AKA Starkiller and "the son" from a previous clone wars arc. As well as doomsday from Smallville.

mig17
I agree, a crazy Maul after 10 years of demise isn't bad and Sam Witwer interpretation is good as always when he has to play someone with a corrupted mind.

Where I am disappoited is to spent an entire episode of Savage searching for his brother and half of it just walking on this planet.

Hybris
Well I like to believe that his hatred kept him alive (Darth Sion from KOTOR2 or even Anakin after surviving that awful burn).

I agree with your disappointment, mig17 smile That's why I said they should have broadcasted this with the next episode to make a grand season finale.

Charlie512
Originally posted by Flyattractor
I just like to go with the logic that he is an alien and maybe getting cut in half isn't really that bad of a thing....like an earth worm..

Maybe his legs are still out there running around too...wanting revenge and what not.

That or magic voodoo space lady has something to do with it.

I dunno...

eh this show is crap.
But this just opens Pandora's box. Next well see...

'LOL, If Maul survived that! Then Mace must have survived too!! I mean he only got his hand cut off and we don't know what happenendz to him!! We should bring him back. trololol!!!11!!!'

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Hybris
It just shows that they are parasiting away existing EU material smile Anyway, I've seen the concerned episode and I feel like they should have broadcasted this episode along with the next episode...
That picture's well clever!

mig17
Oh, and I don't know if Anakin, Ahsoka or Ventress will be in the next episode, but what the hell were they doing in the last one?

queeq
The same as they did in all the other ones?

Flyattractor
I would have gone with "Being annoying and stupid" myself.

queeq
Hehehe

Galan007
It was cool to see Maul 'operational' again. The episode as a whole wasn't that great, though. He didn't do much.

Flyattractor
This was pretty lame for a season finale.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Hybris
I agree with your disappointment, mig17 smile That's why I said they should have broadcasted this with the next episode to make a grand season finale.

That's why I waited a week and watched both together stick out tongue

These 2 epsiodes no where near as epic as the original Introduction of Savage Opress, but I think overall it was a good beginning to a new story arc.

It was cool to see Maul 'operational' again. The episode as a whole wasn't that great, though. He didn't do much.

It was just the beginning!

DARTH POWER
Just watched 'the return of Maul'. It was... Pretty lame, imo. I'm sure he will shape up in subsequent episodes, but I kind of expected him to *already* be as badass as ever, and even *more* knowledgeable in the ways of the dark side/force.

After what we saw from Savage Opress, I was also expecting Maul to come back as some Force god. But then if he was it would make no sense for him to be in hiding all this time. They had to explain where he was, what he was doing.

So from what I can tell he's basically on par with his Episode 1 self, just with these new robotic legs he has to get used to.

As for the episodes, if people were expecting a grand finale to the season then they will be disappointed. But I just saw it as a nice start to a whole new story arc. A new threat to the Sith and the Jedi.

I also liked Ventress's alliance with Obi-Wan and am genuinely interested in where her character will go from here. Because we really don't know.

BruceSkywalker
it was great to see Maul again,, however i do hope he improves next season

mig17
I stil don't understand why we saw Anakin and Ashoka with Anakin saying something sinister is coming ind the previous episode since none of them are in the final. The same thing for Doku and Grevous. They have absolutly no impact on the intrigue.

Then, even if I like this show, I must say I am disapointed by ... almost the entire season 4. Where second part of season 3 was really great, with lots of things moving (apparition of Savage, Ahsoka becoming more and more a tru Jedi as opposed to her master, Ventress going rogue, the Force Wielders, the Nexus Routes, Tarkin, ...), I am under the impression that season 4 who's title was "Battle lines" havent braught any changes in thise lines.
And except the Umbaran arc 2 last episodes which were very well done and distractive, the 2 last Slaver arc episode which brings Anakin slave past back, the very good Tano vs Death Watch situation (except maybe for the caricature of droids and inhabitant of the planet...), and the episode where Kenobi, Bane and Moralo are hunted by Anakin and Tano with a great touch of drama in the confrontation at the end I find the rest almost ... boring. And whats even more boring is the format where we have a only 20min episode each week that does not help to move forward in the intrigue.

So now that everything is "set in motion", I hope we are going to see action. How all that is going to resolve. Because I agree, the return of Maul needed to be explained and now that it is done, he is in an interessting position, knowing all about "the most powerfull being of the galaxy" plan to destroy jedi. How will the Sith react to his return?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by mig17
I stil don't understand why we saw Anakin and Ashoka with Anakin saying something sinister is coming ind the previous episode since none of them are in the final. The same thing for Doku and Grevous. They have absolutly no impact on the intrigue.

I think to show the Return of Maul is going to have huge implications for these characters. And through the Force they can sense bad times ahead.

queeq
Now it won't have impications. These characters stay as they are... they don't develop until ROTS. One of CW's problems.

DARTH POWER
^ Well yeah there is that problem with the show. Although we don't know what will happen to Ashoka.

Could be a missing piece there of Anakin's journey towards the dark side.

queeq
Maybe... but I don't see much change between the AOTC Anakin and the ROTS Anakin... so how much can it be?

mig17
Many characters doesn't have a known fate yep: Ashoka of course but also, all the clones except Bly, Cody or Wolf, Ventress, Savage and now Maul, Death-Watch, Satine, Lux,...

So even if (and it is a big if...) there is now "alrenet" univers until the end of the clone wars, lots of things can happens until the Separatist uses the Nexus coordonates to attack Corusant and kidnaped the Chancellor where ROTS begin.

=> You are right and I imagine something like Ahsoka killed by Maul and Maul killed by ... Grevous before the end.

DARTH POWER
^ I would like Anakin fighting and killing Maul (out of revenge for killing Ashoka would be nice!). I would hate another fluke win by Obi-Wan!

As for Savage.. No idea who will take him down. Dooku seems seriously scared of him sensing his power growing every day.

RE: Blaxican
If Maul had been some kind of uber badass, there would be absolutely zero reason for why it would take ten years for him to show up.

DARTH POWER
^ Lol. Still hate Maul Blax?

Ordo
Those were some of the worst episodes of the series. Once again the season concludes with no resolution, no plot points achieved, no victories and no loses...after 88 episodes. Yet another season introduces yet another villain who is incapable of doing any real damage to the Jedi, yet lives in to simply pop up in one episode next season.

On these two episodes in particular, besides mentioning they are totally implausible and a (yet another) ripoff of a preexisting comic (can they not even design their own characters anymore? It seems like they just find something floating around and they're like hey lets just make an episode on that)...The stupid red logo at the beginning. This inst cool, nor is it a special occasion. You killed off the best villain you created in 1999 and 13 years later you haven't gotten a better one. Deal with and make a new one instead of making all your existing villains look wholly incompetent and using them in one episode per season.

Why MAKE Maul crazy only to have him be normal 12 minutes later after some witch throws Shadows out of him? Why give him a stupid spider body to only give him real legs 12 minute later? Mauls dialogue was cheesy and vapid and Sam makes him sound...feminine. For someone who spoke about 5 words in all of TPM, now he monologues all the time?

The only redeeming factor about this episode is that Asajj is starting to become a real character with some depth...amazing considering she was the FIRST Villain we had...FOUR YEARS AGO....and its taken them this long to giver her an ounce of complexity and some halfway decent comebacks.

DARTH POWER
Lol Another fan.

Originally posted by Ordo

On these two episodes in particular, besides mentioning they are totally implausible and a (yet another) ripoff of a preexisting comic.

Are you talking about the Visionaries "what if" comic? They have stolen his new "Look" from there.

Tbh I was thinking since it's magic that's putting him back together, why not just bring back his biological legs?? It would have been just as unbelievable.

Why MAKE Maul crazy only to have him be normal 12 minutes later after some witch throws Shadows out of him? Why give him a stupid spider body to only give him real legs 12 minute later?

I guess just to show what he's been like for the last 10+ years.

The only redeeming factor about this episode is that Asajj is starting to become a real character with some depth...amazing considering she was the FIRST Villain we had...FOUR YEARS AGO....and its taken them this long to giver her an ounce of complexity and some halfway decent comebacks.

Yes, Im really looking forward to see where they take her.

Ordo
Are you talking about the Visionaries "what if" comic? They have stolen his new "Look" from there.

Tbh I was thinking since it's magic that's putting him back together, why not just bring back his biological legs?? It would have been just as unbelievable.

Theres no other reference with Maul alive is there? I wish they'd come up with their own damn ideas. Time and time again this show simply destroys its own canon. That's a bad position to be in.

WTF with the spider. 1. WHo got him out of Naboo? 2. How was he alive? 3. What idiot decides 8 legs and a spider @ss is easier to build than 2 legs with 6 joints in total. 4. Who built the spiderbutt? 5. WHY DID HIS HORNS SHRINK WHEN THEY PULLED THE GOO OUT?

God I hate this. Every season they insist on destroying one of the coolest parts of Star Wars.

DARTH POWER
Theres no other reference with Maul alive is there? I wish they'd come up with their own damn ideas.

There was another comic with a resurrected clone of Maul which Vader confronts.

To be honest everyone was expecting a Cyborg bottom half, so I think using the same design as the Visionaries comic was more of a tribute to the EU than them not being capable of making their own design.

I was personally hoping for his biological legs back, but whatever. I guess the Cyborg legs makes his stature comparable to Savage.

You have to admit though the whole spider leg thing and him being all crazy was their own idea that no one was expecting.

WTF with the spider. 1. WHo got him out of Naboo? 2. How was he alive? 3. What idiot decides 8 legs and a spider @ss is easier to build than 2 legs with 6 joints in total. 4. Who built the spiderbutt? 5. WHY DID HIS HORNS SHRINK WHEN THEY PULLED THE GOO OUT?

Apparently the spider legs grew themselves out of his torso:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/16/star-wars-clone-wars-darth-maul-sam-witwer/

He says his hatred, desire for revenge and completely embracing the dark side is what kept him alive, and the spider legs that grew reflecting his psyche.

RE: Blaxican
^ Lol. Still hate Maul Blax? Unabashedly.

ares834
Apparently the spider legs grew themselves out of his torso:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/16/star-wars-clone-wars-darth-maul-sam-witwer/

He says his hatred, desire for revenge and completely embracing the dark side is what kept him alive, and the spider legs that grew reflecting his psyche.

Holy shit, that is stupid.

Ordo
^^^ Its hard for me to take Star Wars seriously when even its creators do not.

DARTH POWER
^ I am a bit confused how metallic limbs grew from his torso.. Might have made sense if it was a biological spider half.

But the fact is something had to grow from his torso for him to survive. Otherwise he's got no digestive system to live off (assuming humanoid biology is in place)

Flyattractor
^Agree. SO magic now exists int eh SWU?

Eh why not... They gave us FREAKIN ZOMBIES ALREADY so why not!

queeq
It grew?????

Robtard
Those were some of the worst episodes of the series.

Yup.

DARTH POWER
It grew?????

According to Sam Witwer. He may be wrong. Dave Filoni would be a better source to confirm that.

queeq
It sure doesn't sound very Star Warsy...

Ordo
It sure doesn't sound very Star Warsy...

Neither do half the episodes in this show.

REXXXX
As ever, I found it all mindless, amusing fun. There were lightsabers and explosions. I'm good.

queeq
Good to hear that.

Shey Tapani
I really hope Maul and Savaage will have a confrontation with Palps.

mig17
I am disappointed by such a small trealer, just two little scene...

But on the other hand, I am more than satisfied to see, that may be, they are going to developpe new intrigues than republic against separatist now.
Because we already know, that between the republic and the separatist, nothing is realy going to happened, but here, with Maul/Savage, Mandalore/Death watch, with the war as a background, this can give good and more "free written" stories. Even "sinister" ones may be.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Shey Tapani
I really hope Maul and Savaage will have a confrontation with Palps.

Oooh I hope so. I would love to witness some dialogue between Maul and Palps. So far we have no idea what Palps reaction even is to Maul being alive.

For that matter we don't even know what his reaction is to the existence of Savage.

mig17
The only thing I find realy bad with Maul return alive, is that it destroy one of the few great scene in episode I: When Obi One is greaving is master and Palpatine just near him is greaving is apprentice with the same sadness.

DARTH POWER
^ Not sure I remember Palpatine grieving, but even if he was it doesn't change anything because Palpatine probably thought he was dead.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.