Must-See Anime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys
So while looking for a new anime to watch (probably going to go for Lain) I stumbled upon several crappy lists of 'must-see' anime. I thought we could offer up some good anime that we think that every anime fan should take a look at. This could be a good thread for new anime to look at for direction etc.

One rule: Try to keep it under 5 or 10 per post. I don't want this to be a thread where we all just shout our favourite anime titles at each other.

Since its my thread I'll go first with the big ones:

Akira and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Both of these I chose simply because of the impact they had on the anime world. And while they are slightly atypical of some of the standard genre's set up today, I think they're worth a watch simply for their impact and quality.

AsbestosFlaygon
Beelzebub.

AsbestosFlaygon
LOL sorry I didn't read the part where we should post 5 titles min laughing out loud

5 Centimers per second
Summer Wars
Gintama
One Piece, of course

Samurai100
Code Geass definetely is a must see

Hellsing OVA definetly

Claymore

Q99
Ghost in the Shell

Crest of the Stars

Haibane Renmei (made by the same people as Lain)

One Piece, 4kids edition

NemeBro
Originally posted by Q99
One Piece, 4kids edition Not sure if serious...

Neph, when you say "anime," would you mind if manga get recommended as well mah boi?

Anyway, one that hasn't been said is Cowboy Bebop. One of the greatest anime of all time, a masterpiece that stands out both as an anime, and even as a work of fiction in general.

Nephthys
I don't mind manga being recommended, no. And I quite agree on Bebop. Although it is rather atypical of anime, its still great.

And Asbestos, its under 5 or 10. Posting a single example is fine.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Nephthys
Although it is rather atypical of anime, its still great.

estahuh

No u.

I figure I should probably mention Dragonball and Dragonball Z. Whatever your opinion on it, it is arguably the most influential and iconic Shounen series ever, rivaling Fist of the North Star. That said, I would recommend the manga version, of DBZ in particular, a lot of the lamer elements of DBZ (The two episode long screaming most notably) are is largely filler put in the anime, for whatever reason.

Mmm.

Berserk, as a manga. It's possibly the best Seinen manga I've read, being an incredibly grimdark tale featuring great action, realistic and powerful character development, and an excellent narrative, though, I'm not entirely up to date on it.

Q99
Originally posted by NemeBro
Not sure if serious...

Hey, it says 'Must See'. Doesn't mean it has to be must-see for good reasons ^^

NemeBro
Originally posted by Q99
Hey, it says 'Must See'. Doesn't mean it has to be must-see for good reasons ^^ Hm. Touche'.

menokokoro
Trigun. I still haven't read the manga, but I hear that gives a lot more. That said, the anime was amazing, they did an excellent job illustrating Vash as the peace loving warrior that he is.

draxx_tOfU
Samurai Champloo
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Flame of Recca
Hunter X Hunter
Gundam Wing

Q99
Originally posted by menokokoro
Trigun. I still haven't read the manga, but I hear that gives a lot more. That said, the anime was amazing, they did an excellent job illustrating Vash as the peace loving warrior that he is.

I haven't finished reading the manga, but so far, I've liked the anime better. More light-hearted and comedic parts.

AsbestosFlaygon
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

The best 'true' animu to come out from Japan as of late
(by 'true animu', I mean animu that doesn't originate from a manga)

It's like the Japanese equivalent of Ren & Stimpy laughing out loud

Nemesis X
Hellsing OVA
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Claymore
Bleach

FinalAnswer
Grave of the Fireflies

awesome

as long as it's not the english dub

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.