Out of all the edits they do...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules_2
Why don't they edit out the blood from Ponda Baba's arm after Obi-Wan sliced it off with his lightsabre? Lightsabre's seal a wound, thats pretty obvious by now, but they always leave it in...

LanceWindu
Originally posted by steverules_2
Why don't they edit out the blood from Ponda Baba's arm after Obi-Wan sliced it off with his lightsabre? Lightsabre's seal a wound, thats pretty obvious by now, but they always leave it in...

The thing is, that entire snippet of the scene is wrong. Ponda Baba has hoof hands. Dr. Evazan has human hands. It could be either one of them with a chopped off arm, but the hand we see is a furry five fingered hand. It doesn't belong to either of them.

steverules_2
I always took it to be Ponda cause of the POTF cantina showdown

LanceWindu
I always took it to be Ponda cause of the POTF cantina showdown

I've always associated it as Ponda as well. But if you go through the scene in slow motion is looks like Evazan clutching his arm.

steverules_2
It does, but the arm was Ponda's, the arm had an orange sleeve and ponda's jacket was orange

queeq
At least some things are in continuity.

steverules_2
...very little of it

queeq
Who cares?

steverules_2
The fans?

S_D_J
hehehe

I always chuckle a bit when watching that scene

I don't want it edit, I found it amusing

queeq
And it should stay that way.

They prolly shot the pick up in later than the shoot in London. I bet this was done later in LA.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by queeq
And it should stay that way.

They prolly shot the pick up in later than the shoot in London. I bet this was done later in LA.

Have you ever seen the pictures from set of what the scene might have looked like?

They have Ponda Baba's head chopped off with blood all around it.

queeq
No... didn't know that. Pic please.

steverules_2
Yeah I wanna see this pic of ponda decapitated

queeq
YUmyum

LanceWindu
Ask and ye shall receive!

http://i.imgur.com/BjiJv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yFMZZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YG7QQ.jpg

S_D_J
they are carving him up real nice with those knifes evil face

steverules_2
So ponda was originally gonna lose his head, I wonder if that woulda been edited in todays movies. I think that woulda been hilarious, woulda made the age rating a little higher.

queeq
In the PT even the arm would be considered too intense for kids.

steverules_2
Why, cause of the blood?

We see a lot of people losing limbs in star wars

queeq
Yes, but in the PT it all looks so sterile, it doesn't look very serious.

steverules_2
Anakin wins in the limb loss department

queeq
That is true... that is a rather crude scene... Shows what a mixed bag the PT is.

steverules_2
Which one? The third one I'm guessing, obi-wan did a real number on him...did he leave him to die because if he did that was a pretty dick thing to do, if he loves him he'd have done the right thing there and then and finished him off but obviously that couldn't happen

queeq
It was.

The PT certainly didn't help OB1's integrity. It was already slightly damaged with that 'point of view' remark in ROTJ. But the PT certainly makes us doubt his sense of judgment.

steverules_2
I liked the part where Obi-Wan said 'You'll be the death of me.' I dunno if they added that in on purpose or if it was just a normal line for him. Pretty sure I made a thread questioning that a while a go but I couldn't find it. Still, makes me smile whenever I watch that scene.

Well originally I think Obi-Wan was gonne be revealed to be the one who killed Luke's father before it was changed or unless they just said that to keep it a secret from everyone else that Vader was in fact Luke's father. So the fact that it was gonna be Obi-Wan who had killed Luke's dad was just gonna make him look like even more of an *******, plus the fact that he had lied to Luke and said that someone else had killed him...well they really didn't make Obi-Wan a very nice jedi.

LanceWindu
They most certainly added that "death of me" line on purpose. The PT is filled with in-jokes to try and make it fit in with the OT better.

queeq
Try... is the word.

And OB1 never said he killed Anakin or Vader... And he didn't.

steverules_2
Try... is the word.

And OB1 never said he killed Anakin or Vader... And he didn't.

No...he said Vader killed Anakin

queeq
Exactly. I never heard of the idea that OB1 killed Luke's father... I doubt that was ever in de stars...

steverules_2
Exactly. I never heard of the idea that OB1 killed Luke's father... I doubt that was ever in de stars...

It was...what happened was that the guy in the suit would read vader's lines and then they would dub over it with James. When the guy in the Vader suit was reading the lines to Luke he was telling Luke Obi-Wan had killed his father. When watching the scene just try to imagine that Vader is telling Luke Obi-Wan killed his dad and it would actually fit into that scene with what Luke is saying...only a few select people knew about vader being Luke's dad...I think Mark and James knew...dunno who else. I'm pretty sure the Obi-Wan killing Anakin was probably to deter people and probably wasn't ever gonna be used...but still it was there.

queeq
Oh that... that was never a storyline, dude. That was, as you said, only a temp line to keep it a secret during the shoot that Vader was Luke's father. The only ones who knew the real lines were Lucas, Kershner and Hamill.

Especially David Prowse, who played Darth Vader, was notorious for leaking secret info.

steverules_2
Still it did make Obi-Wan look like a dick, he was the murderer of Luke's father in a fake story.

queeq
Errr... I don't get it dude... It's just a way to make a movie: not to tell the actors the entire story.

steverules_2
Never mind...

queeq
I won't. wink

roughrider
I never actually thought about this. You think it would be an easy shot to correct if they wanted - the cantina sequence has several substitutions. Maybe as a young boy onward I just thought he was from a race that keeps on bleeding, even after a lightsaber cut.

steverules_2
The arm sealing over after being cut off was brought in during ESB I guess if you think about...when Luke got his hand cut off he wasn't bleeding. The heat of the lightsabre always seals wounds now.

I won't. wink

I can sleep tonight...

roughrider
No...he said Vader killed Anakin

The truth, from a certain point of view.

queeq
Always.

steverules_2
Originally posted by roughrider
The truth, from a certain point of view.

So...his point of view?

roughrider
So...his point of view?

The truth as Obi Wan could coach it at the time. Neither he nor Yoda believed Luke was ready for the burden at the time.

Back to the topic - with them going as far on the DVDs to photoshop imperial insignias from one side of a chest to another (to the delight of continuity crazed anal retentive types everywhere), you think this one would be obvious to change. So did they overlook it on purpose?

steverules_2
Yeah probably, but even before the PT lightsabres sealed wounds so I don't get why they keep the blood in there

queeq
I dunno... but I don't like them tampering with the OT too much. Less is more.

steverules_2
Because Lucas likes to whore out the Star wars OT, and he keeps adding on more and more make up to make his b*tch look good for all the CGI infested crap we're getting spewed onto our screens. Kids these days love CGI, I myself prefer stop motion and such because a lot more effort went in to that than someone moving a mouse and typing some codes.

queeq
I don't care about the nature of the effects. They have to look credible but mostly they should be in service of the story. Not BE the story themselves. For a lot of kids the effects themselves suffice obviously...

roughrider
Because Lucas likes to whore out the Star wars OT, and he keeps adding on more and more make up to make his b*tch look good for all the CGI infested crap we're getting spewed onto our screens. Kids these days love CGI, I myself prefer stop motion and such because a lot more effort went in to that than someone moving a mouse and typing some codes.

Yeah well, technology only movies forward, not back. I know It was fun for me as a child to pretend stop motion looked 'almost real', but that was then. Once upon a time, Lucas did a great leap forward with VFX to make Star Wars; how can we tell him he should stop now.

Whenever I hear the hate for CGI argument, I don't buy it. So many classic films from the past twenty years wouldn't have been made without it - or wouldn't be near as convincing without it. Yet Lucas is the only one I constanly see get singled out for criticism. It's not about the technology, it's how it's used. Like any part of filmmaking. There was once an argument about how the stedicam made filmmakers lazy as well, which I tended to agree with ( making too many films and TV shows look the same.)

My 11 year old nephew is a huge Star Wars fan now, and is devouring all The Clone Wars episodes. He's part of the future fan base, and couldn't care less what some of the old guard fans constantly complain about.

queeq
I have nothing against CGI, I love it when used well (Gladiator, Avatar, Lord of the Rings). But Lucas did not use it all that well, where the CGI draws the attention to itself for a) being not entirely convincing or b) rather silly (like standing and jumping on the floating robots on Mustafar)....

It has nothing to do with the nature of CGI, but with the way directors use it. It seems to be used to make everything possible.... just BECAUSE it is possible.

steverules_2
I still think Jabba looks so....awful in ANH, I got the blu rays and whilst I love seeing it in HD and all I still think some of it just doesnt fit in

queeq
It doesn't... somehow they just didn't get that right. Beats me why though... doesn't look too hard.

At least it's better than the horrible horrible first one.

LanceWindu
I don't see why that scene is even in there to begin with. This is all information that we already heard from Greedo.

roughrider
Originally posted by LanceWindu
I don't see why that scene is even in there to begin with. This is all information that we already heard from Greedo.

Because Lucas was ticked he couldn't get a working Jabba in the scene shot in 1976; likely not even enough time & money to make the Jabba puppet made for ROTJ, so he had to shelve it. As someone who got the Marvel Comics adaptation and the novel tie-in at the time, the scene was in there, though (but only the novelization describes Jabba accurately; in the comics, which was based on designs & scenes not fully completed prior to the film's release, he is a blue humanoid with a face like a camel.)

The scene does have value as well. We see Jabba is still a being who can negotiate and have a reasonable side at the time, and we see the pressure Han is under to complete this deal and pay off Jabba before he changes his mind, making his decision to stay with the Rebellion have greater impact. Also, the chance to insert Boba Fett in the background for the sharp eyed, tying in continuity with AOTC through to TESB.

roughrider
Originally posted by roughrider
As someone who got the Marvel Comics adaptation and the novel tie-in at the time, the scene was in there, though (but only the novelization describes Jabba accurately; in the comics, which was based on designs & scenes not fully completed prior to the film's release, he is a blue humanoid with a face like a camel.)

After stretching my memory, I remember the comics Jabba was green, not blue.
(Doing it before someone comes in and corrects me...)

S_D_J
I'm with Roughrider on why the scene is necessary, but not on the AOTC thing, more like ANH - ESB.

The biggest problem with the scene is when Han walks behind Jabba, that kills the entire thing

LanceWindu
Vile gangster that wants me dead? Better step on his tail in a comical fashion!

queeq
But the scene is not needed... we don't NEED to see anyone before they have their scene. Boba became a legend long before he was introduced in the SE. All this bloody tying in that supposedly NEEDS to be done. It's exactly what ruined the PT: the forced ways to tie it all in with the ANH... As if it's not one story... tsss..

darthmaul1
Here's a question, was Boba there in 1977 or was he inserted for the special edition?

Also it would of been better if they just had Jabba as a hologram projection then he could of walked around him

LanceWindu
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Here's a question, was Boba there in 1977 or was he inserted for the special edition?

Also it would of been better if they just had Jabba as a hologram projection then he could of walked around him

no expression

He was inserted in 1977. The Boba Fett character originated in The Star Wars Holiday Special. Before that, there was no such thing as Boba Fett.

queeq
So he was NOT inserted in 1977... He was a cartoon character in the HS, sort of a study of a character they intended to use in ESB.

steverules_2
Guess he got popular, gotta say I'm a fan of the guy

Apart from in AOTC, I wanted to punch him..he was SO annoying

queeq
He was indeed.
ESB made him great. Despite his brief appearance.
To bad he died such a silly death.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by LanceWindu
no expression

He was inserted in 1977. The Boba Fett character originated in The Star Wars Holiday Special. Before that, there was no such thing as Boba Fett.

Typo. Meant to put 1997.

queeq
Ah... that is quite a bit later. 20 years to be exact. wink

roughrider
Guess he got popular, gotta say I'm a fan of the guy

Apart from in AOTC, I wanted to punch him..he was SO annoying

Well, he WAS a kid. And didn't even say as many lines as Jake Lloyd.

queeq
So?

roughrider
I don't understand you sometimes, queeg. If I had as many complaints about Star Wars and how it's evolved & expanded over the past two decades as you do, I would just go find something else to be passionate about. I wouldn't waste my time serving as a moderator in a Star Wars forum, where fans sound more like grumpy old men than anywhere else.

No matter how successful George Lucas has been expanding the SW universe in recent time (which has brought in new, younger fans) some people just want to come here and complain forever, like fellow drunks in a bar.

queeq
Yup... we are the ones that keep the bar making money. We buy everything George gives us... that entitles us to gripe about what we like. It's our Easter Egg so to speak.

Sometimes we also gripe about our wives... whom we love too.

However, I cannot praise ESB enough, nor the great Vader-Luke-Emperor scenes in ROTJ and the classic ANh (despite it's cringy moments still a masterpiece)... Heck, I can even sum up a couple of positive things about the PT... but I won't do it here. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.