Bourne Legacy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
Old news kind of...

It was announced in early October that Tony Gilroy, writer of the first three Bourne movies, was set to write and direct a fourth chapter in the franchise titled The Bourne Legacy. Shortly thereafter, it was revealed that Matt Damon wouldn't be returning in this latest sequel to reprise his Jason Bourne character. Instead, a new character would be introduced, which would allow for Damon and director of the first three installments Paul Greengrass to return for a future sequel.

Universal has made it clear that they want Jason Bourne to carry on long into the future with or without Matt Damon, thus creating a solid franchise that can continue on throughout the decades with any actor playing the character ala James Bond. Matt Damon recently caught up with MTV, and he revealed that he is not at all happy about Universal's plans for future Bourne installments:

"I have no idea what (Tony Gilroy) has planned. But he's a very smart guy, so I'm sure it's going to be good. I do know that whatever he's doing won't preclude Paul Greengrass and I from coming back and doing ours. What they ultimately want is a franchise that can kind of go on and on. We explained to them that our character isn't like James Bond. You can't send him on a mission. There's character development, there's an arc that the character has traveled through the three movies. You don't just start over at the beginning of every movie. I think what they're looking for is a way to build that in so that they can continue without Paul and me eventually. I love the character. I love the stories. But only if Paul Greengrass says he will direct again. So far, though, he's decided not to. I'd definitely say yes if he went for it. I know he would have a great story, and it would protect the legacy of what we created."

Kind of new news...

After months of speculation, Universal has officially named actor Jeremy Renner as the star of "The Bourne Legacy."

According to Deadline, the two-time Oscar nominee (for "The Hurt Locker" and "The Town"wink is expected to "sign on quickly" to play a new character in the spin-off film written and directed by "Bourne" screenwriter Tony Gilroy.

Renner will reportedly play an operative from a covert government program that is even more dangerous than the Treadstone brainwashing program that hatched Jason Bourne, memorably played by Matt Damon in the first three hit films.

For those who have been following the ups and downs of the "Bourne" saga, Renner's casting is not at all a surprise, given reports that leaked earlier this month saying he had been offered the role. The actor beat out a slew of talented and buzzworthy contenders, which reportedly included Alex Pettyfer, Taylor Kitsch, Dominic Cooper, Garrett Hedlund and Luke Evans.

Gilroy has previously stated that although Damon's Bourne will not be a part of "Legacy," he has left the door open for future Bourne-centric films down the road.

"The easiest way to think of it is an expansion or a reveal," Gilroy said of his story for "Legacy." "Jason Bourne will not be in this film, but he's very much alive. What happened in the first three films is the trigger for what happens. I'm building a legend and an environment and a wider conspiracy. ... The world we're making enhances and advances and invites Jason Bourne's return ."

Production is said to begin in September.

Jack Angel
I understand what matt damon is saying i mean after a while enough is enough but it's not a huge bummer he's not reprising his role imo jeremy is a pretty good actor i only saw him in 2 movies which was the hurt locker (which was really good) and 28 weeks later. I'm pretty sure alot of people would've prefered matt as i do but it's the movie industry you kinda expect these things to happen so i'm sure everyone is use to it by now. I love all 3 movies and i'll be looking forward to this one.

jaden101
http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/images/2012/01/The-Bourne-Legacy-Poster.jpg

1st poster...Looks very cheaply done so not sure if it's real.

Jeremy Renner's character is called Aaron Cross...

Robtard
So Damon stamping his feet until he gets tossed another 10mil for the contract?

Doing shit like We Bought a Zoo. ****ing fivehead.

marwash22
u mad bro?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Robtard
So Damon stamping his feet until he gets tossed another 10mil for the contract?

Doing shit like We Bought a Zoo. ****ing fivehead.

I think it's more like Damon mellowing out & focussing more on his family & kids & picking roles that's more family oriented.

RE: Blaxican
From what I've heard, "We Bought a Zoo" was a terrific movie. So... did he really **** up, there?

Robtard
You heard wrong. /thread

Thoren
I think Renner will do a good job.

Placidity
The Bourne Legacy

http://theoriginalwinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/the-bourne-legacy-597x342.jpg

HVPpc4pk6RE

The Bourne Legacy is an upcoming 2012 film and will be the fourth entry in the eponymous Bourne film series, which is based on the Jason Bourne novels by Robert Ludlum and Eric Van Lustbader. The story sets off after the conclusion of The Bourne Ultimatum with Tony Gilroy as the director, screenwriter of the first three films. Matt Damon, star of the first three films, will not return for this film. Damon has not ruled out starring in any future films as long as Paul Greengrass, who directed the last two films, returns.

Cast:

Jeremy Renner
Rachel Weisz
Edward Norton
Joan Allen
Albert Finney
Scott Glenn

imdb

wiki

One of my favorite characters/films ever. Of course Bourne is not actually in it, but hopefully the story and the tone of the movie will be equally enjoyable. Also Renner is quite a decent pick for a role like this in my opinion. Looking forward to it...

steverules_2
This won't be the same, Bourne was a guy on the run...this guy is not

siriuswriter
Two words : EDWARD NORTON.

Or, why I will be seeing this DVD.

RE: Blaxican
So, does that mean you like Edward Norton, or dislike Edward Norton?

Darth Martin
This looks so dope.

omJK5NIkg1g

marwash22
i0pbT9lVFag

Robtard
This is looking good, am excited.

BruceSkywalker
this looks dope..

will be seeing

super pr*xy
likewise..

Placidity
Hmm, I was initially very excited, but seeing the new trailers, it really has a different tone. Lacks the realism of the originals I think. The behaviors, dialogue and cinematography from Bourne made me feel like this could be in real life. The new one seems to lack that touch. Just wait and see I guess...

marwash22
probably 'cause the other movies were more about Bourne hunting them, which involved a whole lot of talking and threats. This one seems more action packed due to him apparently not having amnesia and already knowing how to eff people up. Also, he's supposedly much better than Jason which means he should be capable of more outlandish feats.

Ascendancy
I'm down for this. I also hope they do end up doing an additional film with Damon down the road.

One thing: this is also one case where it doesn't matter how much they deviate from the books. The originals already followed a pretty different story arc and honestly I couldn't really get into the books once Lustbader took over anyway. It's hard to keep with another author's tone and it just wasn't happening.

Mindset
Best movie ever made.

I cum just thinking about it.

Ascendancy
So, time for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The Good: The film did a pretty good job of building on the idea of how finely honed the people in these programs are. The intial flashes of Cross do "at work" show how far the current line of operators are capable of pushing themselves. I won't spoil anything, but superhuman is pretty accurate when it comes to some of what they do. Most of the action scenes do justice to the previous films in terms of hand-to-hand and weapon-aided badassery. The soldiers are also developed in a way that makes them their own cast of operators. You can see the isolation and distrust that have become a part of their lives, though they are not the distant, cold hitters of the first three films. The movie also goes much more into the fallout from the documents that Landey released.

The Bad: Though it was interesting to add to the political angle of things with this film there was too much of it. The feel was that there is one long, never-ending conspiracy. I understand that part of this is to leave the pathway for further films, but the cloak & dagger angle had miles of cloak and not enough dagger in the end. It was also much harder to become a part of the story. With Jason Bourne you were locked into the question of first how he ended up in the ocean, then through the next two films how he had become Bourne and what happened in the time between, as well as what those running Treadstone had involved him in. There just wasn't enough development of Cross for you to feel connected to him in the same way. He certainly is his own person though and I like that this series of operatives are not quite the same hardened, sociopathic killers from the trilogy. The other people in Cross' program could have received a little more fleshing out as well, even if they were minor characters.

The Ugly: Clarity; the film was just too buttery smooth. I know a number of people complained about the shakey camera work in the trilogy but it really added to the idea of Bourne's disorientation. I think the film should have taken a cue from Syriana or Traffic in terms of cinematography to be more immersive. It wasn't really ugly, but I needed to finish out the list I started =p

It was worth the ticket but if they continue the series I hope that they draw more from the feel of the first films. They also have to up the ante because honestly I never felt there was a single situation that was beyond Cross to escape. No doubt after seeing what Bourne could do almost nothing seems impossible and contending mostly with police and security guards isn't getting it done.

Darth Martin
Film overall was a letdown. Definitely the worst in the series.

But, the action was very pleasing.

Mindset
The movie was too much of a set up for sequels.

The other movies were great standalone action movies with the option for sequels, but no necessity for one, this needs it.

Anyway, Jeremy Renner 10/10.

Ascendancy
Yeah, I'll agree that this one definitely lacked closure.

Lestov16
I think the problem is Gilroy thought that because it was a new protagonist, we needed a good amount of time to develop his character and make him likable to the audience. What he failed to realize is that the audience for Bourne films don't care about the protagonist. Bourne was a silent uncompelling dude who made his bones not through being likable, but being able to kick ass. Even Damon said he enjoyed doing the stunts for Bourne because he doesn't have many lines, and he has to get paid for something. So I think the fact they had more scenes trying to develop Cross' character than scenes of Cross kicking ass definitely hurt this film. The fact that LARX-3 died so anti-climatically didn't help

Ascendancy
Bourne was still developed well, but you're right, it didn't take a lot of dialogue to do that. I think the idea was to show Cross as just being a guy caught up in something bigger than himself to some extent. I enjoyed the movie, but realistically it could have been much better. I hope that they learn from this for the follow-ups.

Lestov16
That's the thing I hate about it. It had very serious potential, but instead it became like an amateur's re-imagining of a Bourne movie. I honestly fail to comprehend how any writer on this movie thought that LARX-3 being killed by some chick rather than Deshing it out with Cross was a good idea, even for sequel bait.

Ascendancy
I'd say it's possible home boy from LARX is still alive somehow. Even if he isn't I have no doubt they'll still send someone after Cross. Here's hoping the second time is the charm. The action sequences were great but the movie took way too long to get rolling. We didn't need to know how the other operatives were done away with, just show them dead, we'll get the picture. We also didn't need so much time spent on letting us see how deep the conspiracy goes or getting to know all the doctors at the lab. Show Cross taking the pills, show a shot of them being made at the lab, that'll do.

On a happier note I did pick up The Departed, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and MI: Ghost Protocol for $10 a piece on Bluray at Best Buy this weekend. All on sale, plus I had some rewards points so the price was free! I was about to grab the Bourne trilogy but it wasn't on sale.

Mindset
This movie was made for the express purpose of sequels.

BruceSkywalker
saw this earlier..

was glad only paid $5 bucks instead of $11

this film took too long in developing the Aaron Cross character and it suffered because of it.. Been a fan of Rachel Weisz for years but she looked wan and haggard throughout the entire film..

if there is a sequel and prolly won;t know until the final tally i do hope matt damon returns so him and jeremy renner can team up

overall i'd give this 5.5/10

oh and who will talk about the plotholes.. hahahahahahahahahahaha

Lestov16
How about his overly-complicated Wolf-wrestling plan, when he could have easily tied the tracker to a tree or something

Ascendancy
I thought he should have just floated it down the river on a log, but who knows, maybe it needs body heat to function properly.

Ascendancy
Another big piece missing from the film was the sense of these agents always being one step ahead. Bourne had Conklin out-maneuvered at Ponte Neuf, Landey and Nicki in his sites in Berlin, and called the DDI from his own office in NY. Never once did Cross show his handlers that they were the ones being danced on strings.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Lestov16
How about his overly-complicated Wolf-wrestling plan, when he could have easily tied the tracker to a tree or something

He needed it to be in motion to make the people chasing him think he was making a run for it, was what I thought.

The movie in general, I thought was solid. Enjoyed it. Would buy on bluray when they bring out the inevitable box set.

super pr*xy
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Another big piece missing from the film was the sense of these agents always being one step ahead. Bourne had Conklin out-maneuvered at Ponte Neuf, Landey and Nicki in his sites in Berlin, and called the DDI from his own office in NY. Never once did Cross show his handlers that they were the ones being danced on strings.

i think they were showing cross' dependency on the chems.. he couldn't get a step ahead until he gets more pills or get viraled off.. the next one should be good.. hopefully with cross crossing paths (no pun intended) with larx-3 agents and being a step ahead of "them"..

Ascendancy
Yeah, but really couldn't they have had Cross and the LARX operator crash and then get up and fight it out? That would have been a much better way to close out then just wrecking and Cross and the doc hopping on a boat.

Mindset
Originally posted by Lestov16
I guess you're right, it would have made since for Cross to be standing still for minutes when a drone was coming after him.

Originally posted by Ascendancy
I thought he should have just floated it down the river on a log, but who knows, maybe it needs body heat to function properly. Pretty sure they could monitor vitals with it, but I'll have to watch it again.

Also, I think the speed in which it would have been traveling would be a dead giveaway.

marwash22
just watched this for the second time and noticed something that i didn't realize when i saw it in theaters. There's a part in the trailer when one of the directors says "It's Aaron Cross... We have never seen evaluations like this... he's treadstone without the inconsistency."

she wasn't even talking about Aaron Cross.

Misleading sonofbitch.

ditto
My thoughts exactly.

Originally posted by Darth Martin
Film overall was a letdown. Definitely the worst in the series.

But, the action was very pleasing.

Esau Cairn
Not a big Bourne fan but I still enjoyed this one....starting to get a feel for Renner as a strong action character.

I just have mixed fixings when the whole driving force of the story is Alex Cross acting like a junkie wondering when & where his next fix will be...

It was like the Big Let Down when medi-chlorins was used to explain The Force in Phantom Menace.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

oh and who will talk about the plotholes.. hahahahahahahahahahaha

Why?
Did Nolan have anything to do with it?

ThePainefulTrut
Originally posted by marwash22
just watched this for the second time and noticed something that i didn't realize when i saw it in theaters. There's a part in the trailer when one of the directors says "It's Aaron Cross... We have never seen evaluations like this... he's treadstone without the inconsistency."

she wasn't even talking about Aaron Cross.

Misleading sonofbitch.

At least they were in the movie. Some trailers out there are very misleading. And trailers by their nature cut back and forth a lot, so really, given the quality of the movie as presented, no big deal, particularly since the pre-Betas were off the charts compared to most of the original pre-med agents.

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Not a big Bourne fan but I still enjoyed this one....starting to get a feel for Renner as a strong action character.

I just have mixed fixings when the whole driving force of the story is Alex Cross acting like a junkie wondering when & where his next fix will be...

It was like the Big Let Down when medi-chlorins was used to explain The Force in Phantom Menace.

Getting OFF the meds and surviving in the process is the driving force in the story--along with the overlying arc of Cross and Bourne caught up in the governmental power grab.

I thought the cat and mouse, techno vs. the techno's creation, global pursuit was outstanding. They seemingly had no place to hide, but they did. This is much better than your average action pap, and I keep trying to think of the plot holes that have been mentioned--not that they don't exist, but they've gotta be minor if they do.

I've been a fan of the Bourne series, it's one of the few sequel chains that keeps the quality up. The Bourne Legacy is at least as good as the rest, and is my personal favorite as well as being the best action movie of the year.

Renner's star is rising fast (9.5/10)

PMiddy001
It could have been a cinematic pleasure to see (like the original). I'd heard that they had a new director so I showed an interest but having read the reviews, it seems like they've just tried to mimic Greengrass (shaking the camera around) - they're not robbing my money again!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.