Doctor Who.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys
"Harry Potter" director David Yates is teaming up with the BBC to turn its iconic sci-fi TV series "Doctor Who" into a bigscreen franchise.

'Yates made clear that his movie adaptation would not follow on from the current TV series, but would take a completely fresh approach to the material. '

And more.

So, thoughts? Will this be a cash-in or a legitimately good movie?

steverules_2
There is no way this will work out well...

Tptmanno1
I think the crux of this idea is if the movie is going to be canon or not. If it is, as Yates seems to suggest, going to be a re-boot or full reworking, its going to be crap. I'll call that right now. I'll be a Star-Trek like film that completely misses the point and the charm of the series.
If he is forced to work within the established canon, we might have a better chance of getting a passible or even good movie out of it.

I think the idea of having a Doctor Who movie is not fundamentally a bad one, I mean the current 2 parters are essentially movies already (lengthwise I mean, its not like Doctor Who would have a problem adapting to the long-form movie), and it would require one neat, tidy story, which might be good or useful.

So I think it goes back to the idea of the approach, and that doesn't bode well from the Variety interview. However, they haven't even started writing it or anything, so any huge number of things could happen between now and then.

siriuswriter
Well, Yates did some fabulous stuff with Harry Potters 5-7, smashing all the information and universes into a digestible movie....

I'm excited to see what he'll do with Dr. Who.

Esau Cairn
Cool idea.

I think the obvious choice for villains will be either The Master or the Daleks.

Although having said the Daleks, the old fashioned ones weren't overly threatening as they could only travel on flat surfaces but then the newer versions that can fly also look ridiculous...

The Nuul
There was already two Doctor Who movies in the 60s with Peter Cushing. There were alright.

steverules_2
Originally posted by The Nuul
There was already two Doctor Who movies in the 60s with Peter Cushing. There were alright.

There's 3 movies, one of them was in the 90's

mardook
This could work if they plan on telling the story about the Doctor and how he stole the Tardis. Although, this could also have a negative effect on the running series which would get too tied up around what the movie does storywise were it were part of the continuity. I can see why they are trying to go around it ala Star Trek 2009. I think that course is frought with many negatives. Namely, what Tptmanno1 said about losing the point and charm of the series. Still, I would love to see the Doctor 1 and how he stole the Tardis or The Time War. smile

Flyattractor
I forsee much bickering about it being "AMERICANIZED" to please audiences.

I say the movie flops.

Nephthys
http://www.toplessrobot.com/moffat%20tweet.jpg

Abuhwha-?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.