Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
All new ongoing series from Dark Horse

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2175/385pxswdotj.jpg

Lord Lucien
Son of a b*tch, they just don't care at all anymore. 36,000 BBY the "earliest days of the Jedi Order"? That's a millennium before the establishment of the Infinite Empire, and 11,000 years before the actual founding of the Order.

Goddamn, anything to make a buck and print a pretty picture.

Kazenji
No doubt they're milking it but i'll see how it turns out first might actually be good.

Lucius
I'm actually really looking forward to this (dating error aside.) I've been dying for some content around this period.

BruceSkywalker
will check out this, i am big grin

Nephthys
This has the potential to be amazing. Hope they don't screw it up.

Stealth Moose
If they do it well, I'm all for it. Of course, the technological aesthetics had better make sense. This is before Jedi had lightsabers, though. They have to tread carefully.

Nephthys
They're carrying katana's, so theres that.

Stealth Moose
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rk7_6iCdDQI/TefSpi0hN_I/AAAAAAAAAXE/ldNMkJZL0vQ/s1600/seven-samurai-poster.jpg

Then we've come full-circle.

Nephthys
Although I've just noticed that in Swtor, in the Jedi Consulars first quest, you see a 'founder of the Jedi Order' with a lightsaber on his belt.

Whoops!

Kazenji
Preview

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=11264

the pyramid like ships remind of Stargate with the Ga'ould

Nephthys
That guys helmet is amazing.

Lord Lucien
So apparently the lightsaber was invented 35,000 BBY, or earlier now.

*sigh*

Gambler
So I assume there won't be any rational portrayal of technological evolution? Apparently technology just comes to Galaxy out of nowhere. I'm kind of tired of mysticism regarding technology and inventions. Yes, the Force is mysticism, but one shouldn't forget that Jedi are not Galaxy and there is a civilization apart from them.

But it appears Rakatan empire is already around at the time of DotJ.

Lord Lucien
They'd been around for a while even then. But otherwise, thank you! Glad to see I'm not the only one sick of the permeance of the Force in every single aspect of Star Wars.

Dr McBeefington
LOL@lightsabers existing

Gambler
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
They'd been around for a while even then. But otherwise, thank you! Glad to see I'm not the only one sick of the permeance of the Force in every single aspect of Star Wars.

Yeah, a bit of logic wouldn't harm the Galaxy. A little bit of "academic development in the evolution of first civilizations" should do the trick.

As far as I know, those are not lightsabers. No lightsabers in DotJ. At least that continuity will not be screwed up.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Gambler

As far as I know, those are not lightsabers. No lightsabers in DotJ. At least that continuity will not be screwed up.

He's talking about this guy i'm presuming

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/6d7517ai11264/prv11264_pg1.jpg

ares834
Ostrander stated that its not a lightsaber.

RE: Blaxican
Does it really matter? Look at it. It might not be called a "lightsaber" but it's obviously a "beam sword thingy". It's close enough.

Lord Lucien
A lightsaber by any other name is still a lightsaber. Ostrander could also have said the Force isn't it either--while they're performing telekinesis and mind tricks. That's a lightsaber, and it's an anachronism in the timeline. But hey, it's iconic, which means more $$$.

Gambler
A lightsaber by any other name is still a lightsaber. Ostrander could also have said the Force isn't it either--while they're performing telekinesis and mind tricks. That's a lightsaber, and it's an anachronism in the timeline. But hey, it's iconic, which means more $$$.

I still strongly believe that it is not a laser sword or any kind of energy sword. It's not the first time we see things on the cover, that never make it to the story. Just a an artistic trick.

I'm more concerned about 36 000 BBY. It's 11 000 years before 25K BBY and very easy to screw up. I hope topics like Tatooine will not pop up, as I'm really tired of it being tied in everywhere, considering it is very far from the Core systems.

Stealth Moose
Agreed, Tatooine, Hoth, and Nar Shadaa are everywhere. It's like the SW universe gets smaller every day.

Gambler
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Agreed, Tatooine, Hoth, and Nar Shadaa are everywhere. It's like the SW universe gets smaller every day.

You noticed it too? It is almost insulting to the fans. As if they think that the fans have to be constantly reminded of Tatooine, so that they don't lose interest in SW.

Lord Lucien
You noticed it too? It is almost insulting to the fans. As if they think that the fans have to be constantly reminded of Tatooine, so that they don't lose interest in SW. Which is exactly why that's going to be a lightsaber (or "primitive" variation of). Tatooine, Hoth, Stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, lightsabers, the word "Jedi" are all iconic to the franchise, so they'll be used again and again to remind people that's what they're spending their money on. Unless that image is scrapped as a prototype promo, then it's very clearly a lightsaber. To me, any incarnation of the "laser sword" is as frustrating as them peddling Tatooine and Hoth any chance they get.

Lucius
Based on the gushing orgasms from the fans at TFN, no one cares. SW fans have some of the lowest standards ever.

Nephthys
After the prequels, among other things, we need it.

Lord Lucien
I like to maintain my high standards and air of contempt.

Stealth Moose
I'm still annoyed that Hoth and Tatooine were such big deals in the Old Republic era.

Lord Lucien
"If there's a bright spot to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from. But goddamn, the history!"

Stealth Moose
Now the only way for this to get better is if names like Shan, Skywalker, Sunrider and Solo show up.

Lord Lucien
I'd be willing to bet that at least one famous surname will make an appearance.

Gambler
I'd be willing to bet that at least one famous surname will make an appearance.

And the explanation will be that "No, it has nothing to do with the person, who has the same surname thousands of years later"...

Lord Lucien
It's the Royal House of Orbana, and their good friends, the Funriders.

Nephthys
Have you guys heard about the family tree system in TOR? You can join a family and have all you characters in that family recieve benefits. Not sure if you can join the big names though.

Stealth Moose
They're locked out, of course. No big names can be used to prevent living fanfiction.

The "Legacy" surname is, IMO, a horrible thing from a role-playing perspective, since all your characters (who may be otherwise unrelated), share that name on the server. However, the benefit which is TBA is that you can earn Legacy points to buy skills, cosmestic items, etc. when the system is available. The legacy is unlocked after completing Chapter 1 on a single character on a server.

Gambler
So, SW DotJ #0 is out. I wonder if they have managed to screw up in the technology field already.

Lucius
It's a "Forcesaber" that emits pure Force energy for the beam instead of . . . oh **** it. The Raktans invented it and the guy we see is a Force Hound who hunts the "Je'daai" since the Raktan use them as slaves.

Gambler
Originally posted by Lucius
It's a "Forcesaber" that emits pure Force energy for the beam instead of . . . oh **** it. The Raktans invented it and the guy we see is a Force Hound who hunts the "Je'daai" since the Raktan use them as slaves.

Forcesaber... What shitty excuse to make lightsabers in 25 000 BBY. Now, if they make forcesaber capable to cut through metal like lightsabers, then I ask, why Jedi still use lightsabers with cord and a huge special power pack 5000 BBY.

ares834
Yeah, Forcesabers are just a dumb idea.

Lord Lucien
Called it.

Dr McBeefington
This first issue was one giant facepalm.

Weren't the jedi using swords before sabers with a power pack? Again, facepalm.

Nephthys
Hopefully we'll find out more about the Rakata. Personally I think a game where you play as a Rakata during the fall of the Infinate Empire would be pretty sweet. Or one of the slave races overthrowing it. Infinate Empire-era has a lot of potential to be cool.

Gambler
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
This first issue was one giant facepalm.

Weren't the jedi using swords before sabers with a power pack? Again, facepalm.

Well, yeah, the Jedi are using metal swords during that period. I believe it's the Rakatans and their force agents, who used forcesabers. But, nevertheless, it will create many questions regarding the huge time gap between forcesabers and lame lighstabers powered by big batteries attached to the hilt by a cord. I only hope that Forcesaber generally works like a club or a blunt sword, and that it will not be able to cut through things with ease, if at all. Its primary objective should be shielding from projectiles or bloacking melee attacks. Only that could explain, why more powerful, but cumbersome proto-lightsabers were preferred to use instead. Because of power. Of course if the Jedi get hold of the forcesaber blueprints from the Rakatans at all.

But we are forgetting one thing - Infinite empire had simply vanished from the collective memory of the Republic and the Galaxy, which means that somehow they'll find a way to erase the memories of Forcesabers, and thus lightsaber with a crystal inside for breaking and empowering the laser beam will be born on the ruins of these Rakatan technologies. Pity they use Rakatans as cornerstone for technology, instead of good old academic thinking and scientific explorations. *farts*

If I remember correctly, Exar Kun's former Master was blocking lighstaber attacks with his wooden stick. So empowering things with force wasn't that unfamiliar. Apparently all it required was to be strong with the Force and able to focus at all times.

Dr McBeefington
Lets just call it stupid ok?

Of course it's trash. When it comes to Star Wars that's always the default answer, as there hasn't been any decent EU out since the 2003 clone wars cartoon.

The question is, "How trashy is it?"

There's differing levels of trash in EU.

Eminence
KOTOR and the good affiliated material aside, there's been several great novels and lots of cool stuff in the comics, not to mention the many high points of the new animated series.

Lucius
Relative to various other tie in franchises (Forgotten Realms, anything in the 40k not written by Dan Abnett), Star Wars has had some pretty good material, especially the rather awesome season four of the TCW. That being said, when stacked up against original literature and science fiction, the vast amount of SW is shit. SW is and always will be, a fun escapist fantasy, but it's not good literature and nor will it ever be (KOTOR II being an exception.)

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Lucius
but it's not good literature and nor will it ever be (KOTOR II being an exception.) *sigh*

Gambler
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
I have to say, holy shit that was a good issue. I'm definitely liking this thus far. It's pretty funny that the original Jedi were the only ones who understood the balance of the force. Everyone that came after failed miserably in that regard. Also, having the Rakata present makes this even more badass.

I didn't really like the way they chose to portray the early Jedi. But we'll see, where it gets us. I imagined the first Jedi would be more like monks traveling around, before establishing a centralized order. Somehow Episode IV comes to mind, when Obi Wan talks about guardians of peace etc. And once again, no starports and infrastructure can be seen, and Rakatans seem very primitive, although the use the best tech in the Galaxy.

P.S. BTW, Tatooine was in the first issue. How ****ed up is that?

Arhael
I guess authors prefer idea of universe with life existing over infinite period of time, where technologies constantly get invented and lost replacing each other and each one of them can be advanced to its golden age in any period of that time. Those forcesabers could be devices similar to lightsabers or even better but over thousands years this technology was lost due to, for example, some devastating wars resulting in Jedi near extermination and inability to replicate it just like Celestial technologies.

So basically Warhammer 40K? That kind of makes sense, since WH40K shits all over Star Wars as far as quality science fiction.

Herbert Spencer
It always seemed like a setting for mere gratuitous violence and what I've learned of it in the six months of living with two 40k enthusiasts has done nothing to change my opinion. Grimdark and violent doesn't constitute quality science fiction any more than optimistic escapism.

You should probably actually read something from the universe and form your opinion off of that, instead of going off of whatever menstruations your roommates make, random newbie that I have never met before outside of this forum.

I would recommend starting with Horus Rising. Good read, that.

Herbert Spencer
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
You should probably actually read something from the universe and form your opinion off of that,

And who says I haven't? Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium was boring. The writers could benefit from a man like Stover, who knows how to properly blend gratuitous violence with something more dimensional. But then that's probably why I don't watch anime or religiously play first person shooters.

Ciaphas Cain is one of the worst book series in the mythos. That's like basing your opinion on collective EU off of reading Jedi Trial. I should ****ing slap you.

Herbert Spencer
SW!EU is hardly a bastion of quality works. If it's not authored by Luceno or Stover, there's very little hope for it (with few exceptions). That's the rule of thumb for massive multi-author franchises; a lack of quality control.

I have a lack of interest in Warhammer 40k because I've seen nothing that indicates it has any sort of emotional or moralistic spectrum beyond WAR! RAPE! MURDER! DEATH! BLOODLUST!

It has all the subtlety and complexity of a Uwe Boll film.

Sure, but like I said, that's only because no one has given you good advice as to what 40K lore to expose yourself too. I would never tell someone who was new to the universe to read the Ciaphas Cain series, or the Gaunt's Ghost series. That would be ludicrous.

Fresh faces should always start off with the Horus Heresy series. Specifically, Horus Rising.

Nephthys
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/KILL_7999f8_1517782.jpg

QUALITY SCIENCE FICTION!

Shey Tapani
Well, yeah, the Jedi are using metal swords during that period. I believe it's the Rakatans and their force agents, who used forcesabers. But, nevertheless, it will create many questions regarding the huge time gap between forcesabers and lame lighstabers powered by big batteries attached to the hilt by a cord. I only hope that Forcesaber generally works like a club or a blunt sword, and that it will not be able to cut through things with ease, if at all. Its primary objective should be shielding from projectiles or bloacking melee attacks. Only that could explain, why more powerful, but cumbersome proto-lightsabers were preferred to use instead. Because of power. Of course if the Jedi get hold of the forcesaber blueprints from the Rakatans at all.

But we are forgetting one thing - Infinite empire had simply vanished from the collective memory of the Republic and the Galaxy, which means that somehow they'll find a way to erase the memories of Forcesabers, and thus lightsaber with a crystal inside for breaking and empowering the laser beam will be born on the ruins of these Rakatan technologies. Pity they use Rakatans as cornerstone for technology, instead of good old academic thinking and scientific explorations. *farts*

If I remember correctly, Exar Kun's former Master was blocking lighstaber attacks with his wooden stick. So empowering things with force wasn't that unfamiliar. Apparently all it required was to be strong with the Force and able to focus at all times.

The jedi sabers are "filled" with the force, therefore they can withstand forcesabers.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090823040959/starwars/images/thumb/6/6c/Force_Wars-TEA.jpg/773px-Force_Wars-TEA.jpg

You can see the force making the swords shyni.

Lord Lucien
Well, at least they're actual metal swords instead of energy beams.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Shey Tapani
The jedi sabers are "filled" with the force, therefore they can withstand forcesabers.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090823040959/starwars/images/thumb/6/6c/Force_Wars-TEA.jpg/773px-Force_Wars-TEA.jpg

You can see the force making the swords shyni.

Such great diversity in that picture

only asians feature...

Lord Lucien
The right forefront guy looks distinctly samurai-ee.

Shey Tapani
That was the idea.

Lord Lucien
Gay.

Well, Jedi are based off of Samurai, aren't they?

It is still lame though. I would have preferred to just see dudes in regular clothing armed with regular swords and slug throwers, using force pushes and shit.

Arhael
Well, Jedi are based off of Samurai, aren't they?

It is still lame though. I would have preferred to just see dudes in regular clothing armed with regular swords and slug throwers, using force pushes and shit.
Jedi are based on knights. Apart from both having swords there is absolutely no relation to Samurai, unless we talk about spiritual side. Just simple fact that Samurai sword is single edged already makes huge difference.

Nephthys
I'm pretty sure they were based on Samurai.

Arhael
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'm pretty sure they were based on Samurai.
Perhaps on spiritual side. Fighting moves are completely different.

The lightsaber dueling choreography in the original trilogy was based off of Kendo. And most of the dueling style in the PT is based off a conglomeration of eastern martial arts styles.

Please, stop.

Lord Lucien
It was a blend of the two. Samurai fighting style with Eastern mysticism (Tao), with European knightly orders. A lot of the saber style of the PT resembles western swordplay.

Not necessarily.

Lord Lucien
Why does it seem like so much work went in to so little results? *sigh*

I don't know about Ray Park and TPM, but RotS opening fight with Dooku and Anakin looked very fencing/over-hand broadsword style.

I would say anything with Dooku in it would be the exception, since he does definitely give off that Spaniard fencing vibe.

Arhael
The lightsaber dueling choreography in the original trilogy was based off of Kendo. And most of the dueling style in the PT is based off a conglomeration of eastern martial arts styles.

Please, stop.
Kendo? 0_o The one, where the logic is loose arm or finger but kill your enemy?

Just re-watched Luke vs Vader fight nothing even distinctively reminding about Samurai fight. The very fundamental rule is that in Kendo or other similar style with Katana you vertically rise sword up and slash down. If you want to strike sideways, you still rise vertically up and redirect at the last moment to avoid predictability. What I see in original trilogy is exactly same fight as in any films about knights.

Lord Lucien
Really, cuz in the Vader vs. Ben duel, all I see is kendo:

Oh2TNO5CGXQ

Arhael
Really, cuz in the Vader vs. Ben duel, all I see is kendo:

Oh2TNO5CGXQ
Ye. After second minute it actually does xD.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.