Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
http://www.abload.de/img/450010426l7ehx.jpg

early image.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/11/-well-look-at-this.html

some more links
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/18/title-fight-developer-name-might-be-revealed-soon-but-for-now-a-few-more-answers/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-25-what-is-superbots-very-amazing-playstation-3-exclusive

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/03/new-gameplay-details-on-sonys-smash-bros-fighter-exclusive-to-paul-gale-network/

Gonna Bomb

Ridley_Prime
Heard about this, and still not sure what to think.

Zack Fair
I like the idea

Quincy
God I hope this is real life

TheGoldenSpy
Third part characters I want in

Batman
Snake
Dante
Cloud
Sephiroth

I only want the last 2 because I want to kill them with every character in the game.

Kosmic King
Originally posted by TheGoldenSpy

Batman
Snake
Dante
Cloud
Sephiroth

I only want the last 2 because I want to kill them with every character in the game.

You sir (or ma'am), are a champion.

Bro SMASH
I heard about this too. I want to see how good this will be myself.

Batman
Snake
Dante
Cloud
Sephiroth

Just for that, I'll use those 2 and kill every other character in the game. stick out tongue

Digi
Originally posted by Bro SMASH
Just for that, I'll use those 2 and kill every other character in the game. stick out tongue

Impossible. Emos are only capable of inflicting pain on themselves.

Originally posted by Quincy
God I hope this is real life

lol, every minute of it.

Bro SMASH
Now we know that the official name is Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. Here's the first footage of it:

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=1

ares834
Wow. Didnt expect it to so shamelessly copy SSB...

Still, I'll buy it.

Phanteros
can a mod change the name of the thread to Playstation All -Stars Battle Royale?

Bro SMASH
Anybody remember that Sony commercial showing all those Playstation characters?

http://vividgamer.com/2012/04/27/could-playstation-all-stars-characters-be-hidden-in-sonys-michael-teaser/

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by ares834
Wow. Didnt expect it to so shamelessly copy SSB...

Still, I'll buy it.
http://www.theinquirer.net/IMG/440/124440/ps3-move-5.jpg

dadudemon

TheAuraAngel
Come on, everyone knows that people are all really ripping off things Sega got to first. vin

No but seriously, what the crap? It's the same damn game, just with less interesting characters.

The Big 3 consoles need to do a huge mesh up of characters for a brawl, complete with all the 3rd Party support they can muster. :O

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
No but seriously, what the crap? It's the same damn game, just with less interesting characters.

I couldn't disagree more, but then again I think narrative and story telling is an important part of video games, where as Nintendo thinks jumping on stuff and squealing noises out weighs the need for a compelling dialogue or a plot. The only interesting character in Smash Brothers is Solid Snake. evil face

On a serious note, Sony has officially announced God of War: Ascension, PlayStation Allstars, and Little Big Planet Karting scant weeks before E3 (and they showcased Sorcery recently too)... what the hell do they have up their sleeves for the show?

ares834

Agreed. Really who does Sony have that's intresting? I mean I don't even know two of the four characters they have shown and I own a PS3! Plus the characters don't seem to mesh all that well.

That would be awesome.

srankmissingnin
Agreed. Really who does Sony have that's intresting? I mean I don't even know two of the four characters they have shown and I own a PS3! Plus the characters don't seem to mesh all that well.

That would be awesome.

You don't Sweet Tooth, Kratos, Radec, Sly Cooper, Parappa the Rapper, or Fat Princess? confused

ares834
I don't know Parappa or Fat Princess.

Bro SMASH

"Less interesting"? They look just as interesting the ones in Smash Bros.

ScreamPaste
"Less interesting"? They look just as interesting the ones in Smash Bros. There will never be a character on Sony more interesting than a multiversal plummer who fights his way through impossibly ridiculous worlds and lands to save a princess with seemingly no functional power or office who gets kidnapped constantly by an enormous kappa capable of building galaxies for the sole purpose of being a dickhead to said plumber.

JayDaDon
"Less interesting"? They look just as interesting the ones in Smash Bros.

Right, who would choose this group of characters over Mario, link, donkey kong, samus, captain falcon, Fox McCloud and sonic the hedgehog? Less interesting sounds right on the money to me.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
There will never be a character on Sony more interesting than a multiversal plummer who fights his way through impossibly ridiculous worlds and lands to save a princess with seemingly no functional power or office who gets kidnapped constantly by an enormous kappa capable of building galaxies for the sole purpose of being a dickhead to said plumber. What you've described is a premise. The actual character within that premise, Mario, is essentially a mute with no personality.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
What you've described is a premise. The actual character within that premise, Mario, is essentially a mute with no personality.

Like all Nintendo characters. cool

Anyone who thinks Mario is an interesting character is suffering from a severe case of Nintalgia.

I don't know Parappa or Fat Princess.

Parappa is a from the PS1 classic Parappa the Rapper, and Fat Princess is a PSN game of capture the flag except the flag is a kidnapped Princess who you feed cake to make it harder for the other team to rescue her.

KingD19
This game is such a blatant copy/rip-off of Smash Brothers, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't filed a claim or at least called them on it.

Phanteros
Originally posted by KingD19
This game is such a blatant copy/rip-off of Smash Brothers, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't filed a claim or at least called them on it. That will be like Id trying to sue all of the FPS makers for stealing their ideas, Rockstar suing anybody who made a open world game like GTA. SB doesn't have the patent on fighting games. But I trust Nintendo to have more class to not even acknowledge this game's existence, as that will be more damaging to this game than them calling on it for being a blatant rip.

Bro SMASH
There will never be a character on Sony more interesting than a multiversal plummer who fights his way through impossibly ridiculous worlds and lands to save a princess with seemingly no functional power or office who gets kidnapped constantly by an enormous kappa capable of building galaxies for the sole purpose of being a dickhead to said plumber.

Hmm...someone's a bit TOO big of a Nintendo fan here.

Originally posted by JayDaDon
Right, who would choose this group of characters over Mario, link, donkey kong, samus, captain falcon, Fox McCloud and sonic the hedgehog? Less interesting sounds right on the money to me.

Who would choose those characters? Obviously PlayStation fans.

The only people who find these characters uninteresting are probably those are not all that familiar with them.

Originally posted by KingD19
This game is such a blatant copy/rip-off of Smash Brothers, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't filed a claim or at least called them on it.

It's inspired by Smash Bros., not a copy/rip-off. It's also not the first time it's been done either (Jump Superstars Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble, Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion) so why should Nintendo fuss over it? It would sound ridiculous.

srankmissingnin
Lets not kid our selves, it's fully a Smash Bros. rip off... only in HD, with better characters, on a console with a better controller (which happens to be the best fighting game controller), and better online play.

Bro SMASH
I kind of hope they add Cloud to the game. FFVII was such a big seller for the PlayStation so it makes a lot of sense for him to be in this game. Him and Sephiroth.

Lightning may also have a chance to get in since she's recent.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Lets not kid our selves, it's fully a Smash Bros. rip off... only in HD, with better characters, on a console with a better controller (which happens to be the best fighting game controller), and better online play.

Inspired, not "rip-off".

srankmissingnin
Dante, Cloud, Snake, Ezio (or Connor) for 3rd party would be my assumption.

JayDaDon

How are these better characters? If you mean they have better or more fleshed out stories that alone doesn't make them a better character. So what makes these characters better than the icons of smash who will probably still be talked about 20 years from now?

wakkawakkawakka
^ What if Sony put Crash Bandicoot on this "rip-off" game...considering how he was supposed to be Sony's answer to the likes of Mario anyhow.

Well....I would like Crash anyway no expression

srankmissingnin
How are these better characters? If you mean they have better or more fleshed out stories that alone doesn't make them a better character. So what makes these characters better than the icons of smash who will probably still be talked about 20 years from now?

The same thing that makes Jean Valjean a better character than Big Bird. Depth. Nuance. Pathos. The fact that they actually have personalities and back stories. Mario is a character only in the vaguest, most basic sense of the term. He might be a more popular intellectual property, but he isn't a better character... he is barely a character at all. One rung above Pac-Man. Nintendo focuses %100 on game play with no emphasis on story, character development and plotting which is fine because the target demo is children, but the end result is recognizable but underdeveloped characters.

The only well defined, complex and "good" character in Smash Bros is Solid Snake.

CosmicComet
This will be better than Smash Brothers as a game.

Let's not think otherwise. Everything Nintendo gets to market first that Sony seems to copy(PS Move's copyright existed well before the Wii btw), Sony always improves on.

Also, barring Link and Captain Falcon, I prefer Sony's characters by far over Nintendo's.

NemeBro
There will never be a character on Sony more interesting than a multiversal plummer who fights his way through impossibly ridiculous worlds and lands to save a princess with seemingly no functional power or office who gets kidnapped constantly by an enormous kappa capable of building galaxies for the sole purpose of being a dickhead to said plumber. Yet his actual character is less interesting than that of his younger brother.

Your nerdrage and nerdboner for Nintendo is reaching dangerous levels.

BloodRawEngine
It's bound to be better than that TMNT one, but considering the most consistent issue with shameless Smash Bros. ripoffs is the fact that they're all extremely skimpy on content compared to Smash Bros., then this game has yet to prove itself as an exception until we can actually play it; just because it's another shameless rip-off doesn't mean they have to cheapen the potential experience and refuse to build on anything.

Still, I'd'a thunk Sega would try their hand at this kind of game before Sony would, considering the last blatant rip-off Sega did of Nintendo was with the All-Stars Racing game, which was still good nonethless.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by CosmicComet
This will be better than Smash Brothers as a game.

Let's not think otherwise. Everything Nintendo gets to market first that Sony seems to copy(PS Move's copyright existed well before the Wii btw), Sony always improves on.

Also, barring Link and Captain Falcon, I prefer Sony's characters by far over Nintendo's.

I'm still thinking otherwise, considering my previous statement on how every other Smash Bros. ripoff is extremely cheap in content and playability. That, and have you ever played NMH Heroes' Paradise with the PS Move? It handles like shit.

CosmicComet
The only other Smash Bros type of games I played was the one for Onimusha, which was shit because of the playability and lack of content, as you said, and both Power Stone games, which were kind of different as they weren't 2D plane fighters, but they were both superior to any Smash Bros games.

Sony has a lot of universes. At least as much as Nintendo. Content will not be a problem. Playability? Well, from the preview at IGN I already have reason to believe it will do just fine on that regard, it plays quite differently to SSB. And because, the developers are/were part of Sony Santa Monica's team, and those guys are fantastic.

NemeBro
Power Stone was also released at nearly the same time as Super Smash Brothers, it must be mentioned.

Admittedly, I am not sure why douches like Fat Princess are in the game. Parappa though? Awesome. Kick, punch, it's all in the mind!

CosmicComet
so she's a douche because she's a she?

racist!

ares834
Anyone else annoyed by how the characters "glow" white? Hopefully they remove that.

Anyway, I'm just hoping for Crash and Spyro.

BloodRawEngine
God forbid they give us that Skylanders Spyro

CosmicComet
Wait.

Is Skylanders Spyro still the actual Spyro?

UniOmni

Wow, not everyday i see a post that contains so much error.

For many, hd alone isn't superior, especially since the footage shown thus far shows very little charm and consistency in art direction.

Better characters is subjective, since overwrought manbabies and goofs don't necessarily denote superiority.

Better controller is also subjective, since the most comfortable controller ever used for these mashup games is the gamecube pad, which works with the clear "forefathers" of this game.

The game isn't even out yet, but i will say the online is likely going to be superior.

Still can't believe you said the playstation controller is the best fighting game controller..

That outdated dinosaur of a pad, with roots based on yet another forefather of game design that Sony was "inspired" by.

The best conventional fight pad is the saturn controller.
The current gen equivalent is the x360 pad.

The dualshock is only in the conversation due to stubborn japanese corporatism. Explains the tiny hand size.

CosmicComet
You talk of 'error' and then go on to talk about how your opinions differ.

There is an error in word usage there.

And 360 has a shit controller for most things outside of FPS and Racers. It's D-Pad is terrible compared to the Dualshock's as well.

NemeBro
I stopped taking your post seriously when you implied that the 360's D pad is preferable for fighting games.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by UniOmni
Wow, not everyday i see a post that contains so much error.

For many, hd alone isn't superior, especially since the footage shown thus far shows very little charm and consistency in art direction.

Better characters is subjective, since overwrought manbabies and goofs don't necessarily denote superiority.

Better controller is also subjective, since the most comfortable controller ever used for these mashup games is the gamecube pad, which works with the clear "forefathers" of this game.

The game isn't even out yet, but i will say the online is likely going to be superior.

Still can't believe you said the playstation controller is the best fighting game controller..

That outdated dinosaur of a pad, with roots based on yet another forefather of game design that Sony was "inspired" by.

The current gen equivalent is the x360 pad.

The dualshock is only in the conversation due to stubborn japanese corporatism. Explains the tiny hand size.

laughing

So much hilarity in this post.

HD is always better than SD. I also like that you nitpick and try to dispute my points by essentially saying everything is subjective... and then you say the game lacks charm? Quantified charm is about as subjective as something can get! That being said if Patapon chasing off Hades isn't charming I don't know what is.

Well defined and nuanced characters with personalities and pathos, are always better than the cutesy, bubble gum, cardboard cutout character facsimiles made to distract children and people with severe cases of stunted adolescences.

Do you even play fighting games? The 360 controller is HATED by the fighting game community, because the D-PAD is awful, and the D-PAD is preferred for fast and precise combo input in fighting games. Joysticks aside, the PS3 control is the best fighting game controller on the market. There is pretty much universal consensus on that fact.

I'm 6'3 220 pounds and I have large hands, larger than most people... the dual shock works perfectly for me. If I'm playing a shooter I prefer the 360 controller for the triggers (I think you can get them for the Dual Shock for like 5 bucks), but other than that the PS3 control is ideal for every other genre. I don't play racing games, so I don't know which controller is better for that.

Also... lol @ the idea that GameCube controller was anything than a convoluted mess with terrible buttons of various sizes, strewn about haphazardly.

Phanteros
Originally posted by UniOmni

The current gen equivalent is the x360 pad. There's a troll in the dungeons!!!

Yeah, what the hell.

The only things I would say the 360 controllers are better for is FPS's and racers, because the stiffness of the thumbsticks and their positioning allows for tighter movement (similar to how sports cars have tight steering whereas luxury cars have looser steering).

The 360 D-Pad is complete shit though, for fighters.

JayDaDon
The same thing that makes Jean Valjean a better character than Big Bird. Depth. Nuance. Pathos. The fact that they actually have personalities and back stories. Mario is a character only in the vaguest, most basic sense of the term. He might be a more popular intellectual property, but he isn't a better character... he is barely a character at all. One rung above Pac-Man. Nintendo focuses %100 on game play with no emphasis on story, character development and plotting which is fine because the target demo is children, but the end result is recognizable but underdeveloped characters.

The only well defined, complex and "good" character in Smash Bros is Solid Snake.

Honestly, there's a time and place for that type of character. A party type game with a setup similar to smash bros certainly isn't it. If they put the protagonist from heavy rain in smash, i aint picking him, even if he has the most depth and best story. Gameplay is the most important thing in my books when it comes to games. Frankly I think Character depth and emotional storylines are overrated. Like damn, I'll watch a movie or read a book if I want that. Bottom line, these characters in smash are here and still talked about for a reason. In video game character design, a deep emotional story is just one aspect that can be added to enrich a character, but a game like metroid proves that you really don't need that to make a great, iconic character and game. Like I said, these characters have staying power that fat princess can't even dream of.

TheGoldenSpy
Dream roster

Snake
Raiden
Parrapa da rappa
Kernal raidec
Chimera
Sackboy
Kratos
Zeus
Batman
Crash
Nathan drake
Cole
Dante
Jak w daxter
Ratchet w/clank
Ryu
Akuma

As long as 90% of these demands are met I will release the 3 20 bills unharmed.

NemeBro
Frankly I think Character depth and emotional storylines are overrated. You are certainly entitled to that opinion, as long as you are aware that it is a bad one.

Though I am admittedly not sure why ****ing Fat Princess is in the game.

TheAuraAngel
Dream roster

Snake
Raiden
Parrapa da rappa
Kernal raidec
Chimera
Sackboy
Kratos
Zeus
Batman
Crash
Nathan drake
Cole
Dante
Jak w daxter
Ratchet w/clank
Ryu
Akuma

As long as 90% of these demands are met I will release the 3 20 bills unharmed.

Sly Cooper is missing from this list.

JayDaDon
Originally posted by NemeBro
You are certainly entitled to that opinion, as long as you are aware that it is a bad one.

Though I am admittedly not sure why ****ing Fat Princess is in the game.

Way to take the quote out of context. Should have included the very next sentence. In GAMES I don't believe it should be more important than gameplay. IMO that should be polished before anything else.

NemeBro
Way to take the quote out of context. Should have included the very next sentence. In GAMES I don't believe it should be more important than gameplay. IMO that should be polished before anything else. You highlighting that you are talking about GAMES doesn't change the fact that a better written story and better written characters are better than ones that are not.

Gameplay is probably the most important aspect, yes, with writing being second-most (Granted, writing is also a sort of SUPER CATEGORY, encompassing plot, characters, setting, dialogue, etc.).

ares834
Let's not kid ourselves, none of the characters presented so far are paragons of character depth and development. More than Mario? Sure, but that honestly isn't saying much.

Regardless, depth alone doesn't make a character more interesting or even "better" than another. But, admittedly, it helps quite a bit.

NemeBro
Kratos is a carefully-constructed and flawed character, certainly more of an actual character than most of the ones in Super Smash Brothers, and unless I have been doing acid, he is in this game.

JayDaDon
You highlighting that you are talking about GAMES doesn't change the fact that a better written story and better written characters are better than ones that are not.

Gameplay is probably the most important aspect, yes, with writing being second-most (Granted, writing is also a sort of SUPER CATEGORY, encompassing plot, characters, setting, dialogue, etc.).

In games I'd say it's completely one way or the other. Some of the best games created don't have much story going for them. It's not something you absolutely need to have to make a great game or character. Saying who is a better character is so subjective anyway. Are we saying who is deeper, more interesting, more flawed, more successful? It's too general.

JayDaDon
Let's not kid ourselves, none of the characters presented so far are paragons of character depth and development. More than Mario? Sure, but that honestly isn't saying much.

Regardless, depth alone doesn't make a character more interesting or even "better" than another. But, admittedly, it helps quite a bit.

thumb up

ares834
Kratos's character is admitedly "better" than average, but like I said he isn't some highly multi-faceted character that set new boundries in character development. And yes, he may have more character development than most SSB characters but once again that isn't saying much.

Kratos isn't even better than average. He's just average.

NemeBro
I consider him more of a well-constructed homage and something of a modern deconstruction of the Greek concept of a hero, flawed, with overwhelming strength allowing him to do what he wants, which he suffers for (He deserves a lot of it mind you, which is part of the point, Kratos's biggest flaw is his inability to take responsibility for his own actions).

In games I'd say it's completely one way or the other. Some of the best games created don't have much story going for them. It's not something you absolutely need to have to make a great game or character. Saying who is a better character is so subjective anyway. Are we saying who is deeper, more interesting, more flawed, more successful? It's too general. And yet some of the most lauded games of all time are incredibly story-heavy, like Planescape: Torment.

I consider him more of a well-constructed homage and something of a modern deconstruction of the Greek concept You seem to see that in quite a few characters. Do you think that maybe you just have some kind of pseudo-intellectual hard-on for Greek story telling mechanics? 313

NemeBro
I assume you are referring to Magnus the Red, and the Primarchs in general?

The Horus Heresy is meant to be a Homeric story of flawed demigods waging war, lol.

That said, yes. Yes I do.

srankmissingnin
Honestly, there's a time and place for that type of character. A party type game with a setup similar to smash bros certainly isn't it. If they put the protagonist from heavy rain in smash, i aint picking him, even if he has the most depth and best story. Gameplay is the most important thing in my books when it comes to games. Frankly I think Character depth and emotional storylines are overrated. Like damn, I'll watch a movie or read a book if I want that. Bottom line, these characters in smash are here and still talked about for a reason. In video game character design, a deep emotional story is just one aspect that can be added to enrich a character, but a game like metroid proves that you really don't need that to make a great, iconic character and game. Like I said, these characters have staying power that fat princess can't even dream of.

I don't want one or the other. I'm an adult now, I want an engaging story, and characters and fun game play. Heavy Rain and Mario are two opposite ends of the spectrum... both ends are awful and I don't want either of those extremes. If I wanted a nothing story with no plot or character development, I would play a 99 cent Iphone game. The original Metroid and Mario games are a product of limitations of the hardware that the were built on... limitations that no longer exist. Games can have engaging stories, and character development now... and in my mind there is no reason not to. I want to have some emotional investment with the games I'm playing. I care more about Drake, Kratos, Cole, and Sly (and Alan Wake and Marcus Phoenix on the Microsoft front) then I ever have any of the Nintendo stable of intellectual properties (I think that word is more apt then the term character for Nintedo's mascots), which in the long run means I will find this game far more enjoyable than Smash Bros.

Fat Princes inclusion is the equivalent of the Ice Climbers in Brawl... not sure why everyone is focusing on that. She isn't supposed to be a huge draw.

ares834
Interestingly enough I feel Heavy Rain and Super Mario Galaxy are two of the best games of the gen. On a different note, I feel Nintendo is doing a pretty good job giving Link in the more recent iterations of Zelda specifically for a silent protaganist. Sure, it's not up to the scope of Nathan Drake but it is decent development. I also find that the Fire Emblem characters are quite good.

JayDaDon

And yet some of the most lauded games of all time are incredibly story-heavy, like Planescape: Torment.

Never said they weren't. I do appreciate story and deep characters. That's one reason I love the final fantasy franchise. But in a game like smash bros I don't think its necessary to rank a character's worth based on things like that. Its better to think of who you will be better suited to, who you want to be when you hand your friends ass to them in a match, or who will have the best attacks.

srankmissingnin
Its better to think of who you will be better suited to, who you want to be when you hand your friends ass to them in a match, or who will have the best attacks.

So you do like Fat Princess! evil face

Nemesis X
So with both Nintendo and Sony having fighting games with characters exclusive to their respective consoles beating eachother up, who wants to bet that Microsoft will soon rise to the challenge and make their own Smash Bros.-styled beat-em-up as well with characters like Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, and Raz from Psychonauts?

ares834
Eh. I think Microsoft would be hard pressed getting enough exlusive characters.

srankmissingnin

It would just end up being four different coloured Master Chiefs and a car from Forza.

Nemesis X

Master Chief (Halo)
Marcus Fenix (Gears of War)
Raz (Psychonauts)
Gunstringer (The Gunstringer)
Alan Wake (Alan Wake)
Alicia (Bullet Witch)
The Agent (Crackdown)
Hero of Oakvale (Fable)
Furious Ming (Jade Empire)
Kameo (Kameo: Elements of Power)
Kaim Argonar (Lost Odyssey)
'Splosion Man ('Splosion Man)
Captain Smiley (Comic Jumper)
Ernst (Rise of Nightmares)
Cooper Chance (Grabbed by the Ghoulies)
Munch (Oddworld)
Stranger (Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath)
Blinx (Blinx the Time Sweeper)

Etc.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Raz (Psychonauts)
Munch (Oddworld)

These games are available on Playstation so lol.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
These games are available on Playstation so lol.

They used to say they were only on Xbox. So I'm late. Sue me no expression

ares834
Master Chief (Halo)
Marcus Fenix (Gears of War)
Raz (Psychonauts)
Gunstringer (The Gunstringer)
Alan Wake (Alan Wake)
Alicia (Bullet Witch)
The Agent (Crackdown)
Hero of Oakvale (Fable)
Furious Ming (Jade Empire)
Kameo (Kameo: Elements of Power)
Kaim Argonar (Lost Odyssey)
'Splosion Man ('Splosion Man)
Captain Smiley (Comic Jumper)
Ernst (Rise of Nightmares)
Cooper Chance (Grabbed by the Ghoulies)
Munch (Oddworld)
Blinx (Blinx the Time Sweeper)

Etc.

Most of those are incredibly obscure. Hardly any of them are iconic or are in multiple games.

Although I will admit some of them are really cool ideas like the Hero of Oakvale.

It would just end up being four different coloured Master Chiefs and a car from Forza.

lol

NemeBro
Man **** the Hero of Oakvale. Jack of Blades or gtfo.

Never said they weren't. I do appreciate story and deep characters. That's one reason I love the final fantasy franchise. But in a game like smash bros I don't think its necessary to rank a character's worth based on things like that. Its better to think of who you will be better suited to, who you want to be when you hand your friends ass to them in a match, or who will have the best attacks. Admittedly, that does bring up a good point. In a fighting game, I would prefer characters whom play differently, which means characters from series of varied powahs would be nice. Some PS3 exclusive characters fit that nicely, like Kratos or IMO Parappa (Due to lulz).

Nemesis X
Man **** the Hero of Oakvale. Jack of Blades or gtfo.

Can't have both?

JayDaDon
So you do like Fat Princess! evil face

blowup

Nemesis X
This game will have a single player mode so I'm guessing there'll be a story. Wonder if the PS characters will talk unlike the Nintendo characters in Brawl's story (although to be fair, they do have a history of mostly being mute). If so, I hope the guys get their original voice actors. If Kratos doesn't get T.C. Carson, then already is everything ruined.

ares834
Meh. I hated Brawl's attempt at a story. Hopefully this ones "story" is better... and shorter.

Phanteros
People play fighting games for story?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Phanteros
People play fighting games for story?

What are you, voice for the people now? Why must folks think a fighting game shouldn't have a story? That's like saying you also don't want stories in shooters and imagine how half-assed games like Halo would be if that happened.

Phanteros
What are you, voice for the people now? Why must folks think a fighting game shouldn't have a story? That's like saying you also don't want stories in shooters and imagine how half-assed games like Halo would be if that happened. Shooter's stories alteast make more sense than fighting game ones, non-consequential most of the time. The only fighting game story worth noting is Blazblue as it made you gave a damn what happens to the characters, which isn't saying much as most of its competition's stories is mostly gibberish.

Bro SMASH
Don't forget Mortal Kombat's story. It's worth noting too.

Nemesis X
Mortal Kombat is proof that a fighting game can have a good story and I like to hear people say otherwise.

FinalAnswer
Shooter's stories alteast make more sense than fighting game ones, non-consequential most of the time. The only fighting game story worth noting is Blazblue as it made you gave a damn what happens to the characters, which isn't saying much as most of its competition's stories is mostly gibberish.

Persona 4 is having a fighter sequel made by Arc System Works.

Your argument is invalid.

Phanteros
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Persona 4 is having a fighter sequel made by Arc System Works.

Your argument is invalid. Persona 4 had an RPG to back it up. It Doesn't count.

NemeBro
Shooter's stories alteast make more sense than fighting game ones, non-consequential most of the time. The only fighting game story worth noting is Blazblue as it made you gave a damn what happens to the characters, which isn't saying much as most of its competition's stories is mostly gibberish. Guilty Gear did it before BlazBlue, which makes sense considering it is BB's spiritual predecessor.

FinalAnswer
Persona 4 had an RPG to back it up. It Doesn't count.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

This game will have a single player mode so I'm guessing there'll be a story. Wonder if the PS characters will talk unlike the Nintendo characters in Brawl's story (although to be fair, they do have a history of mostly being mute). If so, I hope the guys get their original voice actors. If Kratos doesn't get T.C. Carson, then already is everything ruined. All the male characters will be voiced by Steve Blum, while the women will be voiced by Jennifer Hale. Keith David will voice non-humans.

NemeBro
But then who will Frank Welker voice?

Bro SMASH
I hope Snake makes it in. Maybe it'll be Old Snake? And I would also like to how different his moveset would be from Brawl.

Nemesis X
If it's Old Snake, his Super better be Metal Gear REX.

JayDaDon
You would have thought crash bandicoot would be front and center here. Along with spyro. Thinking about it now there are a ton of ps1 era stars Id like to see in this game. That dude from oddworld. Legacy of Kain. MediEvil. Hell remember Tai fu? The list can go on and on. They could fatten up the roster with some more ps1 dudes.

Blair Wind
List of people I'd like to see. Not everyone has to be on it, but a lot of them should be. Especially the last one.

Rayman
Crash
Spyro
Spike (Ape Escape - can you imagine his gadget collection for weapons?)
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Cloud
Cole Mcgrath
Nathan Drake (alternate Sully skin)
Kevin Butler

Phanteros
Rayman can't be in it as he is a Ubisoft original. Some of the others are confirmed.

GenomeFrozener
Damn, my body is ready.

Nemesis X
I wonder if Wander from Shadow of the Colossus will be included. He would have the ancient sword, flash arrows, and the harpoon of thunder I'd imagine. Maybe in his Level 3 Super he can transform into Dormin.

Also the SotC stage should be where the Colossi, Barba, resides. He could destroy platform after platform and since the stages have PS worlds merged togethor, perhaps Barba will be attacked by the Shambhala Guardians from Uncharted 2 although that would probably look like a clone of the Hades stage wouldn't it?

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Kevin Butler

Yes

Nemesis X
The Playstation Baby.

gqkNPcUMffU

Imagine that as the final boss.

ArtificialGlory
No! Make it go away, make it go away!

Nemesis X
It smiles and laughs for you, Artificial. It's coming.

Hulkbuster1
I like it. It might help Nintendos version to go into overdrive and implement new ideas or 3rd party characters. Competitions is good in this case.

JayDaDon
It occured to me last night what this game could be, and I`m not even sure if the the makers of this game came to realize this. Smash bros and eventually melee became the ultimate love letter to the nintendo and super nintendo generation that took the world by storm. This game could do the same for the playstation generation which also took the world by storm. I remember when there was a ps1 in damn near every house. I would like this to be the same kind of nostalgia trip that melee ended up being.

Bro SMASH
I guess we should prepare for the inevitable Super Smash Bros vs. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale topics in the Versus Forum. You KNOW it's gonna happen.

In fact, I'm surprise it hadn't already started.

TheAuraAngel
I guess we should prepare for the inevitable Super Smash Bros vs. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale topics in the Versus Forum. You KNOW it's gonna happen.

In fact, I'm surprise it hadn't already started.

Because the game isn't out yet and we lack feats for the PS side?

Bro SMASH
Because the game isn't out yet and we lack feats for the PS side?

You know people use feats from their games, right? I know you see those "vs. Kratos" topics.

TheAuraAngel
So lesse here:

A lot of Nintendo's lineup, including at least one planet buster that I know of, vs Kratos, a rapping dog, a fat princess, and Nathan Drake?

See the reasoning why it's not been made yet?

And no, in general when crossovers happen they tend to stick to in game feats for the characters if they specify something like "SSBB Link".

ares834
Who is the planet buster?

TheAuraAngel
Well not planet buster per say. But a certain boss in Brawl has a feat of destroying a giant planet busting meteor. So yeah, him. stick out tongue

Bro SMASH
So lesse here:

A lot of Nintendo's lineup, including at least one planet buster that I know of, vs Kratos, a rapping dog, a fat princess, and Nathan Drake?

There's no planet buster on Nintendo's side.

See the reasoning why it's not been made yet?

No, I really don't.

And no, in general when crossovers happen they tend to stick to in game feats for the characters if they specify something like "SSBB Link".

That's the point; specific feats are used. It doesn't have to be from Smash Bros. or PlayStation All-Stars but the matchup can still be centered around the idea of "Smash Bros. vs. PlayStation All-Stars".

The Scenario
Kirby's pretty close to moon buster, actually.

NemeBro
Based on?

TheAuraAngel
There's no planet buster on Nintendo's side.

No, I really don't.

That's the point; specific feats are used. It doesn't have to be from Smash Bros. or PlayStation All-Stars but the matchup can still be centered around the idea of "Smash Bros. vs. PlayStation All-Stars".

Rayquaza destroyed a planet busting meteor in another game. Close enough that this is no contest. And then there are characters like Mario and Sonic lol.

The Playstation side barely has a roster.

4 guys vs Nintendo's huge cast. Unless you plan to take other Sony game characters? Which would work really.

Bro SMASH
It doesn't have to be the full roster. It could be "4-on-4" and maybe later, the characters can be switched up.

The Scenario
Based on?

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb380/scenario3/lied.gif

The battle between Kirby and Nightmare only destroyed 1/4 of the moon, not most of it. So not exactly "close" to a moon buster unless you also count that Megaton Punch minigame where Kirby splits his planet in half.

Moon destruction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb2FzRL8p8k#t=5m

Megaton Punch (likely not actually canon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lxNNlQYttU

NemeBro
It blew up because Nightmare was killed, you fewl.

Bro SMASH
Sackboy could be the Kirby of this game, if anyone know what I mean.

Nemesis X
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-director-talks-roster-selection-and-more-in-this-interview/

Hopefully this means they'll include Isaac Clarke and Chell. If they dare add Call of Duty characters, I'm gonna be pissed.

Phanteros
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-director-talks-roster-selection-and-more-in-this-interview/

Hopefully this means they'll include Isaac Clarke and Chell. If they dare add Call of Duty characters, I'm gonna be pissed. We mostly likely going to see Issac rather than chell whose mainly consider a value pc character.

-Pr-

Hopefully this means they'll include Isaac Clarke and Chell. If they dare add Call of Duty characters, I'm gonna be pissed.

Why? Some of those characters were decent enough.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by -Pr-
Why? Some of those characters were decent enough.

There were characters in COD? evil face

JayDaDon
Wow it would be criminal if ps1 characters didn't make this game because of COD characters.

Nemesis X
We mostly likely going to see Issac rather than chell whose mainly consider a value pc character.

Then they'll just add Atlas and P-Body and they'll be the Ice Climbers of this game.

Nemesis X
Now that I think about it, won't Sora from Kingdom Hearts be added as well? He is pretty popular.

Bro SMASH
Now that I think about it, won't Sora from Kingdom Hearts be added as well? He is pretty popular.

Yeah but now the series been showing up on Nintendo handhelds more often now (actually more than on the PS consoles). I honestly wouldn't mind if Sora gets in but I kind of doubt it would happen.

Nemesis X
Yeah but now the series been showing up on Nintendo handhelds more often now (actually more than on the PS consoles). I honestly wouldn't mind if Sora gets in but I kind of doubt it would happen.

You seem to have missed the link and quote I posted about third party characters being confirmed in All-Stars.

Bro SMASH
I know 3rd party characters are confirmed but they also said that they're listening to fans too. At this point, I don't think Sora is gonna as much request as characters like Crash, Spyro, Cloud, or Snake (all who, lets be honest, are more relevant to PlayStation than Sora is).

Nemesis X
I know 3rd party characters are confirmed but they also said that they're listening to fans too. At this point, I don't think Sora is gonna be as much of a request as characters like Crash, Spyro, Cloud, or Snake (all who, lets be honest, are more relevant to PlayStation than Sora is).

I get the feeling you're expecting there to be a small roster if you think even Sora can't be added. Being on Nintendo or not, Sora still started off as a PS character first and last I checked, there's still a Kingdom Hearts 3 in development for the PS3 and what better way to advertise somebody for an upcoming game like that than to have Sora appear amongst the likes of Parappa and Kratos, getting PS users interested in the character again (even though Square Enix could just make a frikkin Collection for the first two games already)?

If you're thinking I want this guy in here so badly, don't be. I'm just saying what's likely to happen although I'm not saying I wouldn't have fun using him either.

Bro SMASH
I don't think they confirmed which console KH3 is gonna be on. And yet still, just starting on the PS isn't enough.

Who said anything about the roster being small? There's likely more characters than the ones I just mentioned. Let's not forget that Sony has their own characters to put in too. The roster will likely be big but I don't think expect too many 3rd party characters to be in it either.

But like I said, I don't mind if Sora gets in but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high either.

Nemesis X
I don't think they confirmed which console KH3 is gonna be on. And yet still, just starting on the PS isn't enough.

Your logic is invalid as characters that appeared even on Xbox are gonna be in this so enough.

Hopefully if the roster is that big, Wander will be included as well.

Which is why I keep hoping the first couple of third party characters planned are Isaac and Chell...and maybe a Prototype character if there's room.

But like I said,

Bro SMASH
Your logic is invalid as characters that appeared even on Xbox are gonna be in this so enough.

...And what does this got to do with Sora? Besides, so far, only Sony characters have been confirmed.

Hopefully if the roster is that big, Wander will be included as well.

Which is why I keep hoping the first couple of third party characters planned are Isaac and Chell...and maybe a Prototype character if there's room.

Or maybe Gabe Logan.

But like I said,

I never once argued this point so I think we're clear here.

Nemesis X
...And what does this got to do with Sora? Besides, so far, only Sony characters have been confirmed.

Well you keep saying "Sora was in Nintendo" this and "Sora was in Nintendo" that. There are only like three KH games on Nintendo's side and there are like four (and soon to be five when you count KHIII) on Playstation's.

I'm not that familiar with Syphon Filter so I can't agree or disagree.

Bro SMASH
Well you keep saying "Sora was in Nintendo" this and "Sora was in Nintendo" that. There are only like three KH games on Nintendo's side and there are like four (and soon to be five when you count KHIII) on Playstation's.

Your point was Sora "started on the PS", in which I said it wasn't enough. I never said any character that has appeared on other consoles shouldn't be in (after all, Crash was on other consoles too).

Also, both Nintondo and Sony has about the same amount of Kingdom Hearts games on their consoles (which is four). Earlier, I said PS had less but I forgot about Re: Chain of Memories, which was never released in the US.

Nephthys
Ico and Shadow of the Collosus are both PS exclusives. The main dudes from those games could be pretty sweet.

Nemesis X
Your point was Sora "started on the PS", in which I said it wasn't enough.

Also, both Nintondo and Sony has about the same amount of Kingdom Hearts games on their consoles (which is four). Earlier, I said PS had less but I forgot about Re: Chain of Memories, which was never released in the US.

He's still very popular mostly on the Playstation side overall though.

Definitely and I hope that if Wander is in the game, his Level 3 Super is transforming into Dormin, smashing and breathing fire all over the place.

Also, Playstation Baby for secret boss.

Bro SMASH
He's still very popular mostly on the Playstation side overall though.

I sure can't tell.

Bro SMASH
Snake, Drake, and Cole hinted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/18/snake-drake-and-cole-confirmed-for-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale

Can't wait to see how Snake turns out in this game if this is true.

srankmissingnin
Snake, Drake, and Cole hinted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/18/snake-drake-and-cole-confirmed-for-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale

Can't wait to see how Snake turns out in this game if this is true.

I love Eric Ladin, he leaks everything he is involved in. lol

JayDaDon
Seriously hope Ps1 gets its fair share of love in this game.

Bro SMASH
Nathan Drake and Big Daddy possibly confirmed:

http://shoryuken.com/2012/06/03/nathan-drake-big-daddy-possibly-confirmed-for-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/

I guess this'll catch the attention of Bioshock fans now.

Nemesis X
If they do add a Big Daddy, it's gonna have to be Subject Delta from Bioshock 2. Bouncers and Rosies are rather limited to what they can lug around while their prototype counterpart is equipped with everything they got from drills to rivet guns plus more guns. Not to mention he uses plasmids to boot and with everyone in the roster having a large variety of weapons, All-Stars is gonna want Mr. B's arsenal.

Bro SMASH
E3 trailer showing Nathan Drake and Big Daddy:

9e8qWsFRJvg

CosmicComet
Big Daddy?

The phuck?

What a waste of a fugging character slot.

Not that it matters, Blu Ray and all...

ares834
^ Da ****?

Big Daddy rocks! I'm very glad they have him. Far better than Parrapa and Fat Princess.

CosmicComet
Big Daddy is not a character. It's a damn enemy type. Those are the worst kinds of character adds. Just like Sentinel in MVC games, and that damn Lost Planet mech in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

And its not iconic to, nor highly associated with, the Playstation brand whatsoever.

No, Parappa > Big Daddy.

Nemesis X
E3 trailer showing Nathan Drake and Big Daddy:

9e8qWsFRJvg

Huh. Could've sworn it was gonna be Delta but whatever. Still badass to have a Big Daddy in this.

Big Daddy is not a character. It's a damn enemy type. Those are the worst kinds of character adds. Just like Sentinel in MVC games, and that damn Lost Planet mech in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

And its not iconic to, nor highly associated with, the Playstation brand whatsoever.

But aren't enemy types still technically characters? That's like saying a Koopa from Mario isn't a character.

Well he's a guest character and it was confirmed there are gonna be guest characters plus Big Daddy is awesome so deal with it.

CosmicComet
Big Daddies are meh as phuck.

And absolutely, Koopas aren't characters either.

How can non-unique, re-occuring enemy types be characters?

Nemesis X
Big Daddies are meh as phuck.

To you maybe. A thousand others say otherwise.

Koopas are actually characters. Wasn't there a backstory about them as to why Bowser's their ruler or something?

Stop pitting the BD with common rabble. You seem to forget he's Bioshock's mascot.

Bro SMASH
GameTrailer video of it:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-playstation-all-stars/731795

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>