Hugo (2011 Scorsese Film)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Don't really know much about it, and honestly it doesn't even look that interesting to me, but it's Scorsese and it's getting great reviews, so I might look into seeing it eventually..

5Y6OoN1FR6Y

jaden101
He certainly seems to be borrowing from Guillermo Del Toro and Peter Jackson in terms of his cinematography recently doesn't he? The dream sequences in Shutter Island reeked of it and this does too.

Definitely looks worth a watch though. I think Chloe Moretz is going to be a top actress in the future...I haven't seen her do a bad roll yet and all of them have been challenging in their own way.

Looking forward to it.

Mr Parker
this movie looks cool.Looking forward to seeing it.

roughrider
I just came back from seeing it. If you're a fan of the history of cinema and it's pioneers, you cannot miss this. It's Scorsese's love letter to them and to film preservation.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by roughrider
I just came back from seeing it. If you're a fan of the history of cinema and it's pioneers, you cannot miss this. It's Scorsese's love letter to them and to film preservation.

Would it be a good date movie? Maybe I can convince my girlfriend to see this instead of the latest Twilight.. sick

roughrider
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Would it be a good date movie? Maybe I can convince my girlfriend to see this instead of the latest Twilight.. sick

Yes, I saw some couples in the theater. The plot is slow in revealing itself, but stick with it and you'll be rewarded.

ADarksideJedi
When it comes on my movie channels I will watch it.

roughrider
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
When it comes on my movie channels I will watch it.

This is one of those films where watching it in 3D is part of the movie's theme! People should go to the theatre.

Patient_Leech
This is one of those films where watching it in 3D is part of the movie's theme! People should go to the theatre.

Hm.. you have me intrigued, sir.

ADarksideJedi

I would if I could afford it but I just finish christmas shopping so that is something I won't be able to do. Acouse if my husband or someone else gets me a gift card for the theatre then I can. wink

Mr Parker
just saw this movie yesterday.awesome.one of the best flicks of the year.The special effects are one of a kind,just amazing.great story as well.the young girl reminds me of Emma Watson in her early days in the harry potter films.This is MUST SEE FILM!!!!! Matter of fact,I think I am going to add this to my favorites list. smile

I loved this film so much in fact Im going to go back and see it again tomorrow as well.

Patient_Leech
In that case, I might just have to use some Fandango bucks my parents gave me for Christmas on this movie. Sounds like I shouldn't pass up the 3D.

Mr Parker
This was a great cast,could not have been any better.you feel like the time clock has been turned back to the early 2000's because like i said,this girl looks and sounds exactly like emme watson from her early days in the harry potter movies.she is an amazing dead ringer.Jude Law,i hardly recognized him plus he diddnt sound like he normally does either.He really created quite a character.Ben Kingsley was great in his role as well.

Finally Christopher Lee is even in it with a small part.The guy must be desperate for money to take such a small role.Cant believe this guy is still around.You can tell just by looking at him his health is not good at all.You can visibly see him shaking when he talks.Great to see him at least one more time around before the day comes when he keels over.He was in another movie recently as well I remember hearing.This was martin Scorsese's best movie effort EVER!!!! He topped himself.If this movie had been in the hands of an unproven director,I seriously doubt it would have been the excellent film it turned out to be. smile

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Finally Christopher Lee is even in it with a small part.The guy must be desperate for money to take such a small role.Cant believe this guy is still around.

Or perhaps he just wanted to be a part of the Scorsese "film lover's" film.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Jude Law,i hardly recognized him plus he diddnt sound like he normally does either.He really created quite a character.

Ha, that's good to hear. I actually don't' really like him too much, so if he's different, then that'll probably be a plus.. lol. Mighty high praise you have for this movie. "Scorsese's best movie effort"... damn. He has a lot of greats.

Mr Parker
yeah I know.I never thought I would love it as much as I do.Easily the best movie of the year,although i still havent seen war horse which looks really great as well.

Patient_Leech
I saw this with my sweetheart. We really enjoyed it. Scorsese is a master of the craft. I'll be honest though: it was a little too tame and slow moving for me, but I guess that is part of the charm.. and it is extremely charming. I see why 3D is important, it does indeed relate to the movie... makes it striking how far cinema has come. Probably not something i'd want to see again, but it is definitely a must-see for any cinema fan.

Sacha Baron Cohen sure was hilarious in this.. haha laughing and the kids played the parts so well.

Rapscallion
I was moderately disappointed by this movie, but that has more to do with my expectations being really high rather than it being in anyway a bad movie. on the contrary I thought it was pretty good. It has a great look and production design and the world of the paris train station is wonderfully realized. The film gives much more time for the station inspector who wasn't in the book really at all, but i think adding him was a good instinct. I was also impressed that Scorcese did not seem out of his element and seemed pretty comfortable with the whimsical material.
However this is a preposterously sentimental story and Scorcese is not a sentimental film-maker and i think it suffers a little because of it. He is too concerned with the film-preservation element of the story which isn't as big an element of the book. Scorcese just doesn't seem to care very much about the characters or drama as he does about the art of film-making. the acting is fair, ben kingsly underwhelms. the two child leads are good enough. they make do with some truly dull characters, but again, scorcese doesn't really care about the characters in this movie.

Ultimately i admired this film more than i liked it. it is very impressive as a piece of filmmaking and it's nice to see a serious film-maker taking a family-film seriously. And it's nice to see Scorcese stretch himself and do something new. However, for all of the film's visual urgency, it has little thematic urgency. It is more an example of intellectual curiosity rather than emotional honesty.

Patient_Leech
Well said, Rapscallion. I tend to agree with most everything you said. The plot wasn't really all that compelling to me; it felt more like a history lesson, which is why I wouldn't really want to see it again.

Oh, and the whole movie I kept wondering why everyone in Paris was speaking English. I mean, the kid was from London, so that make sense, but what about everybody else in the movie? Why weren't they speaking French? That kind of bothered me.

Mr Parker
yeah I pretty much agree with everything he said as well also.good post.Yeah I agree that he doesnt seem to care as much about the characters as he does the film making.He could have gone into more detail about the girls parents and why in the hell did he not even bother to talk about what happened to Hugo's mom????? I kept wondering throughout the movie if there was ever going to be any kind of explanation for that.

How can you forget that little detail never mentioning ONE WORD about his mom? would it have really killed him to have her in the movie and then just explain that she went with his father and they both died in the fire? sheesh. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I didnt have high expectations for this film so i think that might have played a lot into some of his dissapointment of it.I can relate to that in the fact I just saw warhorse and that movie I DID have high expectations and expected a lot from it and I was dissapointed.Hugo is still my favorite movie of the year.I liked warhorse and everything but it was too depressing and sad seeing those horses get killed especially his friend..

Getting back to Hugo,the other thing I thought was kinda corny is Hugo should have known he was pressing his luck trying to go back to the station to retrive the mechanical man abd get past the station master.He should have asked that girl to come along with him so they could explain that they were there looking for a gift to give to her grandfather or something like that. I could overlook that part though,i mean kids can be not so smart at times.But since they didnt even bother to explain what happend to his mother,because of that,thats the only reason i give it 9 out of 10 stars instead of 10.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Or perhaps he just wanted to be a part of the Scorsese "film lover's" film.

when i think about it,yeah your probably right,thats probably the more accurate reason why Lee decided to do the movie.He cant do many major roles at his age now so that was a perfect part for him and I doubt that he needs the money as famous as he is.Plus why would anybody not want to take the golden opportunity to work with the legendary Martin Scorsese when given the chance and opportunity?

Lee after all is not in the same boat as Val Kilmer is. a still young actor whos best years seem to be behind him as far as major roles are concerned and has to take what is offered to him.Like In the movie The Bad Lieuantant with Nicholas Cage I could not believe he took that small role in the film.He only had about maybe five minutes of screentime in that movie.a role that any unknown actor could have done and one if he was getting offered big roles he would have turned down but since thats not the case,he had no choice but to take the first role offered to him.

Plus like I said,who wouldnt jump at the chance to work with a legend like Scorsese,where its pretty obvious Kilmer didnt want to take such a small role just to work with the director of that movie,an unknown that pretty much nobody has ever heard of.I know I hadnt.

Mr Parker
this poster at this other site nailed it below,I could not have said it better myself.

It's hard to find the right words to describe Scorsese's love letter to the early days of cinema. Never-the-less, it was quite the experience. I'm glad I had the pleasure of seeing it in 3D as it was intended, but I'm not sure if it really added much as the film is simply gorgeous all around, from the set design to the cinematography.

8/10

That Cloe girl's British accent is adorable
Happy Dance

Mr Parker

Mr Parker
Heres the last review from that site I am going to post.this poster REALLY nailed it.I could not have said it better myself.cool to see someone who feels the same exact way I do about this film.other than Spikes,this posters post was for sure the best one there.

Only thing i disagree with this poster on is like i said,i give it 9 1/2 instead of 10 only because they did not explain what happened to his mother.everything else,this poster said it all for me. Happy Dance

This is exactly the type of film that reminds you why you love movies in the first place. My favorite film of 2011 so far, 10/10.
Happy Dance

Mr Parker
great to hear this movie has been nominated for like 10 academy awards i believe it is including best picture. Happy Dance at IMBD someone has it ranked FIRST in their top favorite movies of the year. Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.