Cloud Atlas (2012)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
This is said to be "filming" on IMDB.

The latest by the Wachowski bro (and sis?) staring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, etc. I'm a big fan of the Matrix films and the Wachowskis' subject matter, so I'm excited to see what they're up to. Don't really know much about Cloud Atlas, but it's based on a novel by David Mitchell. Anybody familiar with it? (sounds confusing)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/Cloud_atlas.jpg

Patient_Leech
Apparently they've wrapped filming on this... and there's a behind the scenes photo. CLICK

Patient_Leech
Sure fire way to get ignored: post in the Sci-Fi forum... heh

The trailer has arrived. And it's 5 minutes long?? Looks pretty intriguing and epic, but also puzzling... shock

o4DMaP7PBCk

Gracifi
Oh, I want to get it too, very curious about it

Patient_Leech
Alright, I'm down for this being in the Movie Discussion forum, seeing as it's just getting ignored in the Sci-Fi forum.

Poor Sci-Fi, gets no attention. sad

siriuswriter
Wow. If the movie is this confusing and complicated, I can't imagine what the book will be like.

ETA Actually the book seems very simple, and the film makers pretty much took clips from everywhere and everywhen throughout the movie. And they're having actors playing more than one role so that it makes more sense.

I just popped on wikipedia, then entered Cloud Atlas . No spoilers here.

Robtard
Looks to be worth the watch.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Wow. If the movie is this confusing and complicated, I can't imagine what the book will be like.

It reminds me a little of Brazil in it's strangeness and confusion. And I think I heard that Brazil was an influence on The Matrix films.

Patient_Leech
Wow, just saw this on Yahoo

Wow, Lana/Larry Wachowski is distractingly strange... confused

6be25sIaehM

siriuswriter
Okay, I think I have the gist of how they'll take us through the film.

The story is six nestled stories, and the stories are connected through a single, random act. We begin in 1850, with the man writing in his journal. The next story is linked through someone later in time who is reading the journal... and etc. It all ends in a post-apocolyptic Hawaii, where humans have only partly started to separate into groups and tribes.

So it's kind of like Six Degrees to Kevin Bacon but committed through time, space, and reincarnation.

Love it. I like to understand a bit more about crazy-weird movies like this before I see them, otherwise I'm trapped watching it, figuring out what just happened while the movie continues.

Patient_Leech
That seems to be correct, after checking out Wikipedia. Well, that doesn't sound tooooo confusing... I look forward to this. Should be interesting. Something a bit different, at least.

BruceSkywalker
this seems very interesting

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
l]

Wow, Lana/Larry Wachowski is distractingly strange... confused

Guilty boner, dude?

Me too... confused

Patient_Leech
laughing

Nah, but seriously, i was a huge Matrix fan (and still am), and so i remember him/her from old interviews and he/she doesnt even seem like the same person. Bizzare.

siriuswriter
laughing

Nah, but seriously, i was a huge Matrix fan (and still am), and so i remember him/her from old interviews and he/she doesnt even seem like the same person. Bizzare.

Oh, Leechy.

Isn't that kind of the point of transgender surgery?

Patient_Leech
Oh, Leechy.

Isn't that kind of the point of transgender surgery?

Just not something you see everyday is all.

Patient_Leech
Sweeeeet! I didn't realize Keith David was in this!!!

http://www.themoviegeek.com/cast_graphics/KeithDavid.jpg

http://www.starscolor.com/images/keith-david-05.jpg

thumb up

Kazenji
Seen some early reviews for this

seems you either will love it or just hate it

http://io9.com/5941980/early-reviews-for-cloud-atlas-range-from-slog-to-soulful

siriuswriter
I've finally got the book from Amazon.

Is this not coming to all theatres? Probably not - but we've got an "eclectic film" place in town.

whatthegatts?
This looks AMAZING. Can't rmemeber last time I was this yper for a film. I have full faith in the Wachowskis in pulling off something as good as their Matrix Trilogy woith this.

rudester
Tom Hanks looks ugly as a blonde

siriuswriter
More than halfway through the book, but all six stories have already been introduced. Ohmigod, this thing is so deliciously complicated and juiced with details. I'm even finding myself underlining some of the prose... I NEVER do that. This is going to be the best godamndest movie ever.

ever]

Patient_Leech
Hm... doesn't sound like a fun read to me, if it's complicated and detailed. I prefer books to move along with the plot relatively quickly. I get bored by excessive details.

Darth Martin
Saw this last night. What does everyone think?

Mindship
I haven't read any good reviews yet + the film's nearly 3 hours long. I'll probably wait and see it on cable, where I can take breaks when I start feeling antsy.

Based on the reviews, this movie sounds like it's one of those Big Idea stories which may not translate well into film. Darn. I like Big Idea stories, but they better be damn good if you're going to make a long movie.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Saw this last night. What does everyone think?

Since you have seen it your opinion might be of worth. eek!

Nephthys
I've seen some good reviews. Moviebob for one.

BruceSkywalker
the film is a flop.. wachowskis don't have it anymore

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Mindship
I haven't read any good reviews yet...

Huh? It's got a fresh rating on RT (62% so far). There's plenty of positivity surrounding it. It was bound to be a mixed bag, though, considering the Wachowskis tastes and style and what appears to be a somewhat unconventional narrative.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
the film is a flop.. wachowskis don't have it anymore

There you go again equating monetary success with whether or not something's good.. you certainly cannot be that simple.. what gives, man? It appears to be more of an artistic expression than an attempt at a massive financial success in hopes of spawning a franchise or something.

BruceSkywalker
Huh? It's got a fresh rating on RT (62% so far). There's plenty of positivity surrounding it. It was bound to be a mixed bag, though, considering the Wachowskis tastes and style and what appears to be a somewhat unconventional narrative.

There you go again equating monetary success with whether or not something's good.. you certainly cannot be that simple.. what gives, man? It appears to be more of an artistic expression than an attempt at a massive financial success in hopes of spawning a franchise or something.

lol puh lease.. the film was terrible

Major_Lexington
I'm on the fence with this one, haven't seen it yet.

flandersXD
this seems very interesting

siriuswriter
Finished the book - but I don't really feel comfortable sitting in a theatre with bunches of people watching - what seems do be this very personal movie. I'll get my parents to put it on their Netflix DVD list when it comes out.

Robtard
but I don't really feel comfortable sitting in a theatre with bunches of people watching - what seems do be this very personal movie.

confused

Mindship
Huh? It's got a fresh rating on RT (62% so far). There's plenty of positivity surrounding it. It was bound to be a mixed bag, though, considering the Wachowskis tastes and style and what appears to be a somewhat unconventional narrative.NYC reviewers didn't like it. Basically, the movie wasn't coherent enough for the Big Ideas it was trying to convey.

Patient_Leech
Finished the book - but I don't really feel comfortable sitting in a theatre with bunches of people watching - what seems do be this very personal movie.

That's pretty neurotic.

Tex
I loved the movie, sure its a little difficult to grasp the meaning with all the intricate story webs, but it was beautifully made and quite entertaining.

Patient_Leech
I hope to see this very soon. It's at my local cheap theater. I look forward to it..

Patient_Leech
I saw this.

I will say that as confusing and all-over-the-place as it is, I really enjoyed it. I've never been so baffled, yet so intrigued by a film before. I didn't even know going in that most of the main actors were playing so many different roles, so that added to the confusion for me, plus I'd need subtitles to really understand it better, but I still really enjoyed it. That's a testament to how well they handled it. This must have been a nightmare to edit, but they did a great job keeping the pacing right and matching the climactic parts of each story. I would definitely watch this again when it hits blu-ray to get subtitles and grasp it more fully. Definitely check it out. It works a lot better than you would expect considering how complex it is. It's an impressive piece of art and very different from anything else you're likely to see. Impressive performances from everyone: Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Keith David, etc., and even the unknowns..

Patient_Leech
After all these years I just watched this again. It's pretty amazing. I appreciated it more this time, but was still also rather baffled by it, heh..

As much crap as the Wachowskis have gotten I think it's worth commending them for the fact that they've done the whole "woke" thing much more organically and thougtfully for a long time. Even the Matrix films had a diverse cast of characters meant to represent a broad humanity. Cloud Atlas is very much the same in that respect. But shitty "woke" films like Birds of Prey, Ghostbusters (2016), and Captain Marvel exist for no other reason than to be a part of some feminist "woke" agenda and thus defeat the very purpose they set out to accomplish. They stand out as obnoxious garbage by contrast.

But yeah, this film is an amazing work. If you have the slightest interest in the Wachowskis and haven't checked this out, you should do so. But it is definitely an immense undertaking of a film.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.