Why does Luke throw hois lightsaber away in ROTJ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
You know in 'Return of the Jedi' when Luke chops Vader's arm off & then Sidious tells him to take his father's place? Why didn't Luke try to attack the emperor? Why did he just throw his lightsaber away? I mea, seriously; did he really think Sidious would say, "Oh you're not going to join? OK.. You can go then"? I mean seriously??? Why didn't he try to kill the emperor instead of just throwing his lightsaber away saying, "I'll never join the Darkside!"?

Lord Lucien
Because to attack him would have been giving in to anger and using the Dark Side, as he had just done when he defeated his father, and tried to strike down the Emperor in cold blood. He refused to kill and become a Dark Sider and chose to instead die as a Jedi. It was a symbolic act saying he refused to fight at the Emperor's whim.

Q99
Yes, that.

Also, he's a Jedi. If he really needed it he could grab it back like he did in the first place.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Q99
Yes, that.

Also, he's a Jedi. If he really needed it he could grab it back like he did in the first place.
But he did need it, but he still didn't grab it back. He just let the emperor ucontinue using force lighting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.