Kratos vs The Lich King

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EvilAngel
Kratos from the God of War game series faces off not against a god, but a King*. How does he fare?

I'm actually unsure about Kratos facts and feats, so this is as much a guess as it is anything else, if anyone could provide anything relevent I would greatly appreciate it.

I fingered over some other Arthas/Lich King threads and apparently you guys collectively don't actually seem to know much, I can help there. For the purposes of this thread I will be using feats from Arthas: Rise of the Lich King.

(*Actaully The Lich King technically is a god by certain degrees according to warcraft definition of a god, but ehh...)

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by EvilAngel
Kratos from the God of War game series faces off not against a god, but a King*. How does he fare?

I'm actually unsure about Kratos facts and feats, so this is as much a guess as it is anything else, if anyone could provide anything relevent I would greatly appreciate it.

I fingered over some other Arthas/Lich King threads and apparently you guys collectively don't actually seem to know much, I can help there. For the purposes of this thread I will be using feats from Arthas: Rise of the Lich King.

(*Actaully The Lich King technically is a god by certain degrees according to warcraft definition of a god, but ehh...) My money is on Kratos unless you have something very, very good. mmm He's strong enough to resist the arm of a Titan as of GoW3, pretty fast and durable, too.

He also has hooks that can pull out your soul. /Random.

Burning thought
Probably the Lich King based on the fact hes the opposite of Kratos, he uses powers and magic, not pure strength. Strength is his only power, if Lich King can counter strength, by attacking at range or using an exotic magic like soul devouring then hes got this in the bag.

EvilAngel
Well how fast and durable? =p

I'm looking for striking strength feats as much as pure strength, I'd like to believe his blades can resist the power of Frostmourne.

I'm looking for how fast he can react and strike individual from each other, that sort of thing if you could =)

Thanks in advance

BloodRain
Not a god, but a King... who is technically a god.

Just going with Kratos as I don't think the WoW verse is physically strong or fast at all. Unless Lich is packing some powerful or hax magic that Kratos can't face.

Kratos' reactions are hypersonic and his strength is.. titanic. :3

Burning thought
I dont recall the calculation on Chronos, but he lifted up the Titans hand after it slapping down on him, its hard to know but he either took the whole blow and so makes this a better durability feat or he took it on his hands and pushed it up, making it a slightly better strength feat. Either way if he hits your blade or you with his blades (while holding them) hes going to be striking with thousands of tons of force no doubt.

As for reactions, better than peak human. He can react to fast surprise attacks from monsters and such.

I really dont think its a good idea to get into close range with Kratos.

BloodRain
Welllllllllllllll seeing as Lich much for muscles I dont think we need to know exactly how strong Kratos is besides 'much much'.

NemeBro
Kratos with the Blade of Olympus can pretty easily one-shot Titans (He knocked one off of a mountain with a single attack). Zeus also used it to end the Great Titan War in a single attack (Though one could argue Kratos' mastery of it is not the same as Zeus').

In terms of durability, Kratos can take punches from Zeus, who has similar physical strength to him, as well as a big slap by Cronos (He proceeded to throw his arm off). Will try to remember others.

pZEQuqXEv50

11:00 in Kratos reacts to and avoids a thrown corpse that traveled at a high enough velocity to level a stone bridge.

This is from the God of War novel.

" 'You turn your hand against my creatures.' Artemis lowered the aim of her bow. 'Witness how I turn my hand against yours.' She released her arrow, which shot from her bow more swiftly than lightning and before it could strike, another arrow appeared and was released. So many arrows flew so swiftly, that the glade seemed filled with a golden haze, that buzzed and snarled like a nest of angry hornets. After that single instant, Artemis lowered her bow and looked up at Ares; 'So?' The God of War looked down upon his army, every once living creature of his in that glade lay dead. Every undead creature was mutilated beyond recognition. The wolves and bears and elk stood untouched."

Artemis, a relatively minor god, was capable of this feat. I do not think it is a stretch to assume that Zeus was faster.

Kratos also reacted to the Leviathans and shit, catching and overpowering them in the start of God of War 3.

Y3rgcBaI4v8

At 7:47-8:08, we see one undeniably going hypersonic, considering how relatively small the Titan that fell appeared.

kOzGvWPQjxs

At 8:23-8:30, we see Kratos react to a surprise attack from one.

GskjvpRdWlA

At 1:40, we see some impressive leg strength from Kratos with a leap.

Just a few feats.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Burning thought
As for reactions, better than peak human. He can react to fast surprise attacks from monsters and such.

no expression

Burning thought
That body was going "fast" enough to shatter the bridge? it was going at about 10 m/s at best, it was simply tossed. The bridge seemed to be extremely weak and would have to be for a human body to break it.

Demonic Phoenix
no expression

EvilAngel
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
He also has hooks that can pull out your soul. /Random.

Lich King doesn't have a soul, Frostmourne stole it the moment he touched the sword.

Does Kratos have a soul? =P

Originally posted by BloodRain
Not a god, but a King... who is technically a god.

Just going with Kratos as I don't think the WoW verse is physically strong or fast at all. Unless Lich is packing some powerful or hax magic that Kratos can't face.

Kratos' reactions are hypersonic and his strength is.. titanic. :3

Hypersonic reactions? I do believe I would ask for proof but... well I'm not trying to make the Argument he can't react to Arthas, though that seems beyond the realm of 'optimistic' and into the realm of 'dreamer'

Kratos is very strong, that's true. But that might not even be a factor if his weapon shatters, so I repeat a previous request that would be what have his weapons shown to resist. Frostmourne has on more than one occasion shattered clean through weapons and their masters in the same stroke. Saurfang the Younger being one, Sylvanas Windrunner another.

It has even shattered other Runeweapons, and it's my understanding that the Olympus weapon Kratos wields is both drained and a shell of it's former self?

I'm curious of what feats it has, if any in particular that can be used.

Originally posted by NemeBro
Kratos with the Blade of Olympus can pretty easily one-shot Titans (He knocked one off of a mountain with a single attack). Zeus also used it to end the Great Titan War in a single attack (Though one could argue Kratos' mastery of it is not the same as Zeus').

In terms of durability, Kratos can take punches from Zeus, who has similar physical strength to him, as well as a big slap by Cronos (He proceeded to throw his arm off). Will try to remember others.

pZEQuqXEv50

11:00 in Kratos reacts to and avoids a thrown corpse that traveled at a high enough velocity to level a stone bridge.

" 'You turn your hand against my creatures.' Artemis lowered the aim of her bow. 'Witness how I turn my hand against yours.' She released her arrow, which shot from her bow more swiftly than lightning and before it could strike, another arrow appeared and was released. So many arrows flew so swiftly, that the glade seemed filled with a golden haze, that buzzed and snarled like a nest of angry hornets. After that single instant, Artemis lowered her bow and looked up at Ares; 'So?' The God of War looked down upon his army, every once living creature of his in that glade lay dead. Every undead creature was mutilated beyond recognition. The wolves and bears and elk stood untouched."

Artemis, a relatively minor god, was capable of this feat. I do not think it is a stretch to assume that Zeus was faster.

Kratos also reacted to the Leviathans and shit, catching and overpowering them in the start of God of War 3.

Y3rgcBaI4v8

At 7:47-8:08, we see one undeniably going hypersonic, considering how relatively small the Titan that fell appeared.

kOzGvWPQjxs

At 8:23-8:30, we see Kratos react to a surprise attack from one.

GskjvpRdWlA

At 1:40, we see some impressive leg strength from Kratos with a leap.

Just a few feats.

Okay wow wow wow.

Firstly, that corpse to me, was very clearly thrown to the side of Kratos, who steps aside to see what it did hit. I watched it twice, first time *raises hand* i didn't have my glasses on, the second time i did, and these work.

For me, 'undeniably supersonic' would mean providing indisputable proof of it. To be fair all we see here is someone fly down and crash into a titan. There's no proof here of any amount of speed =s

The next on the chopping block is a great example of a reaction feat.... except they slow and speed up time so it's actually difficult to really guess how fast he was in that particular scenario.

Not exactly sure how this adds to this fight in particular but, aye, yes it is.

Burning thought
See, ime not the only one who identifies that these leviathans do not go at hypersonic consistently and every time they move.....they can slow and speed up.

I would assume Kratos' weapons can take as much force as he can typically use them with, I dont see them being broken through force unless you mean its a special power? I dont know, I think their more than strong enough considering they spend so much time in Kratos' hands but on the other hand, theyve never run up against a brick wall to test their durability, most of the time if ime not mistaken they cut through what Kratos uses the mon.

BloodRain
Whats the speed of Lich and his attacks? I think it'd be easier to go from there.

IIRC Kratos does clash swords with other superhumans before and his weaps have held up. The Blade of Olympus has been in the middle of a tug-of-war between Kratos and Zeus, that counts for something.

"I would assume Kratos' weapons can take as much force as he can typically use them with"

*twitch-twitch* You spent several pages saying Bayonetta's sword and Bowser's claws would break when Scene and I were saying what you said here.

EvilAngel
See, ime not the only one who identifies that these leviathans do not go at hypersonic consistently and every time they move.....they can slow and speed up.

I would assume Kratos' weapons can take as much force as he can typically use them with, I dont see them being broken through force unless you mean its a special power? I dont know, I think their more than strong enough considering they spend so much time in Kratos' hands but on the other hand, theyve never run up against a brick wall to test their durability, most of the time if ime not mistaken they cut through what Kratos uses the mon.

Well, I personally am not going to get involved in a real-life physics calculation. No disrespect to those that want to, but to me I find it pointless and I have no desire to be a part of such a discussion.

General game logic (something I'm happy to go with as it's simple and easy to figure out most of the time) usually goes like

If a weapon is significantly more durable than another, it has a tendancy to shatter it. (bad example as it's from comics books, but, adamantium against pretty much anything. Or how in the Buffy-verse they break metal weapons on durable enemies, wesley shattering an axe on Illyria's head for e.g. Even if you don't have the physical strength to do it, somehow it tends to happen all the same... anyway)

Unlike Real Physics, most game worlds nothing really takes damage while it's tougher than what it's striking. My point being, if Kratos is used to his strength being enough to impale his weapons, and from what i gather it really is a question of brute power for him, then what happens if he tries that against something much more durable. My guess is they* probably shatter and he'd fall face first into the soul sucking Frostmourne.

Of course that's just a theory. One I am more than happy for some Kratos supporters to disprove. But I feel it ought to be as it seems to me a very relevant point.

*(His normal weapons I make no assumptions for the Olympus blade, but all the same I didn't give it to him either.... well yet)

Whats the speed of Lich and his attacks? I think it'd be easier to go from there.

The Lich King as a Death Knight was able to easy cut an arrow fired by Ranger-General Sylvanas Windrunner in half mid-flight.

It's stated several times that Frostmourne is weightless to him as it is an extension of himself, they are one. It was precisely his speed that allowed him to kill Uther the Lightbringer, arguably the most powerful paladin to date in warcraft lore.

(Paladins being super effective against unholy types)

Burning thought

*twitch-twitch* You spent several pages saying Bayonetta's sword and Bowser's claws would break when Scene and I were saying what you said here.

Its not bayonettas sword, its a piece of equipment she gains in her journey and Bowsers claws are rarely used, theres very rare occasions when he uses them at all, punches are his mainstay which is what I said, makes sense.

Kratos, as you said actually clashes with his weapons and they are his weapons, their consistent from the beginning of his game and have feats with him using them in cutscenes at all times.

Well, I personally am not going to get involved in a real-life physics calculation. No disrespect to those that want to, but to me I find it pointless and I have no desire to be a part of such a discussion.

General game logic (something I'm happy to go with as it's simple and easy to figure out most of the time) usually goes like

If a weapon is significantly more durable than another, it has a tendancy to shatter it. (bad example as it's from comics books, but, adamantium against pretty much anything. Or how in the Buffy-verse they break metal weapons on durable enemies, wesley shattering an axe on Illyria's head for e.g. Even if you don't have the physical strength to do it, somehow it tends to happen all the same... anyway)

Unlike Real Physics, most game worlds nothing really takes damage while it's tougher than what it's striking. My point being, if Kratos is used to his strength being enough to impale his weapons, and from what i gather it really is a question of brute power for him, then what happens if he tries that against something much more durable. My guess is they* probably shatter and he'd fall face first into the soul sucking Frostmourne.

Of course that's just a theory. One I am more than happy for some Kratos supporters to disprove. But I feel it ought to be as it seems to me a very relevant point.

Well its hard to say tbh, off the top of my head I dont think they have shown a durability feat beyond claiming Kratos' strength as the norm. You could say the fact they have been with him through most of GoW 3 where he has had to smash through many weapons, titans and such would make them durable in game terms as you say, with math aside. Also, one thing to note is that he needs to use special fist mounted "cestus" that are like metal ornamental boxing gloves basically to break a certain element (cant recall its name) so I dont think his blades of w/e their called (they change their names) are actually invincible or can take all his force.

BloodRain
Double standards man, stardardus doublios.

Arrow speed is good, but that speed is below what Kratos has faced. For instance Zeus was able to jump from a mountain top to the clouds in a few seconds, thats supersonic. And thats one of the slower feats in GoW. Kratos bests people of this speed regularly.

So I don't think Lichy will get the edge in speed, or strength for that matter. IMO the best chance the King has is to either use some spells or to find a way to get a direct stab on the Spartan.

Burning thought

Arrow speed is good, but that speed is below what Kratos has faced. For instance Zeus was able to jump from a mountain top to the clouds in a few seconds, thats supersonic. And thats one of the slower feats in GoW. Kratos bests people of this speed regularly.

So I don't think Lichy will get the edge in speed, or strength for that matter. IMO the best chance the King has is to either use some spells or to find a way to get a direct stab on the Spartan.

Seems everyone likes to throw around the "double standards" claim for any comparison regardless of reasons, if their not all measured the same apprently its a double standard. Context is relevent.

And Kratos does not best people of this speed on a regular basis, Zeus is a special case since hes the father of the gods and has far more power than any of them tbh, thing is what he bests is not speed, its endurance and strength. and most of his enemies, especially the really fast ones with special powers job terribly and dont use half of their powers when it could be useful, including Zeus.

BloodRain
..What the hells a 'stardardus' O__o

Saying is isnt then saying it is is that thing I said. Many of the gods are supersonic, Kratos wouldnt survive as well if he got blitzed by everyone. I 'think' have my qualms with the higher speed people here suggest, but Kratos easily has supersonic reactions. Being equal to Zeus or the one where Poseidon being clear examples.

Gonna look into Kratos speed stuffz.

Burning thought
But the thing is, none of them try to blitz him. Zeus tosses him about but when it comes down to afight, they fight in close quarters, face to face, no blitzes at all. Strength against strength, same with all his opponents, the only who used their speed was Hermes and Kratos had to smash him with a catapult (that he also launched with him holding on to clear some distance) and reduce him to a slow movement before he can hit him.

If poseidon sent his leviathan at Kratos the same way he Gaia then maybe, but even then he would see it because of hte distances theit traveling, Kinda like planes, a Jet can go at supersonic speed but if one was at a good distance and falling towards you, you could run out of the way because you dont have to go far. Kratos doesnt even face this.

EvilAngel

I'm confused. "Zeus was able to jump from a mountain top to the clouds in a few seconds"

This doesn't sound like an attack. It sounds like Zeus... travelling.

My example gives a clear example of Arthas sensing an attack, then responding to it. An arrow is fired, he draws his sword and slices it in half in the time. It shows both reactive speed of him, as well as precision in his striking speed.

Now, If Kratos has... I don't know...batted a rock back, that would be something similar. Probably not as fast as an arrow, but it would show Kratos reacting to high speeds. From the examples Nemebro shown for example the only half decent example is Kratos catching a giants hand. Both seems slower and requires much less precision. If this is not a good example then that's fine. I would be happy to read or look at another.

But really...

"Zeus was able to jump from a mountain top to the clouds in a few seconds"

Really doesn't mean much to me. If there's something I'm missing about it, please enlighten me

Burning thought
Your not missing anything, BR is bringing up something Zeus "can do" and then like Nemebro and CC try to do, claim that this automatically mean Kratos has to have reacted at those speeds as if Zeus always does this in all their fights. This is not the case, Zeus and Kratos fight like a pair of angry drunks in a pub for want of a better irl example. They beat on eachother, throw eachother around a bit, smash things on eachother and Zeus never thinks about teleporting or just using his long range powers and when he does, his hubris gets the better of him and he gets tricked. Arthas wouldnt be so foolish imo.

Arthas has better reactions based on that feat, but again....I am only skeptic on how much harm he can do to Kratos or if Kratos can hit him first assuming theres distance due to the fact he has longer reach with his chain blades.

EvilAngel
I probably should have pointed at on the Opening Post but; Arthas can't use The Fury of Frostmourne. An instant kill would be pointless in this vs.

He can use all his other displayed powers, most notably;

Remorseless Winter
Shadow Trap
Ice Sphere
Apocalypse

Burning thought
I know the other 3 but whats apoclaypse?

BloodRain
How do you know though? I mean, they have the speed and want Kratos does.. why wouldnt they be using their speed?

Kay someone needs to show me the speeds people give the whole water horse thing..

I'm confused. "Zeus was able to jump from a mountain top to the clouds in a few seconds"

This doesn't sound like an attack. It sounds like Zeus... travelling.

My example gives a clear example of Arthas sensing an attack, then responding to it. An arrow is fired, he draws his sword and slices it in half in the time. It shows both reactive speed of him, as well as precision in his striking speed.

Now, If Kratos has... I don't know...batted a rock back, that would be something similar. Probably not as fast as an arrow, but it would show Kratos reacting to high speeds. From the examples Nemebro shown for example the only half decent example is Kratos catching a giants hand. Both seems slower and requires much less precision. If this is not a good example then that's fine. I would be happy to read or look at another.

But really...

"Zeus was able to jump from a mountain top to the clouds in a few seconds"

Really doesn't mean much to me. If there's something I'm missing about it, please enlighten me

It means Zeus is at least at that speed. And Kratos fights him evenly so has to have the reactions so not to be bested.

OH! The hand slap! Just remembered when me and BT were tinkering around with it I found out that the speed his hand was moving was actually Mach 3. I know it doesnt look it but ya gotta remember that the titan covered a mile in that slap.

Theres also how he beat that teleporting guy. I could show you a vid.. and by that I mean some GoW fan should go find and show that vid >__>

Thing is, even if Kratos ends up only having peak human reactions , Lich only has just above peak human reactions so speed will end up not meaning a thing. Basically either Kratos has much better reactions or reaction will be about equal. Then it comes down to 'can the King harm Kratos?' which in combat will be 'no'.

Also, what do those four things you mentioned do? o:

Burning thought
How do you know though? I mean, they have the speed and want Kratos does.. why wouldnt they be using their speed?

Kay someone needs to show me the speeds people give the whole water horse thing..

It means Zeus is at least at that speed. And Kratos fights him evenly so has to have the reactions so not to be bested.

OH! The hand slap! Just remembered when me and BT were tinkering around with it I found out that the speed his hand was moving was actually Mach 3. I know it doesnt look it but ya gotta remember that the titan covered a mile in that slap.

Theres also how he beat that teleporting guy. I could show you a vid.. and by that I mean some GoW fan should go find and show that vid >__>

Thing is, even if Kratos ends up only having peak human reactions , Lich only has just above peak human reactions so speed will end up not meaning a thing. Basically either Kratos has much better reactions or reaction will be about equal. Then it comes down to 'can the King harm Kratos?' which in combat will be 'no'.

Also, what do those four things you mentioned do? embarrasment

Because ive played it, they never use their speed on him and he never reacts to them, they fight him exactly the same way he fights most things, with their hands in Zeus' case. And the water horse thing may be going quick in one scene, but as EA and I said, it cant be assumed max speed in every situation can it, since it can change its speeds.

Also the teleporting guy BR mensioned halted teleporting between the fight which is when Kratos could hit him.

Also slashing an arrow out of the air is above human reactions.....and if ime not mistaken Frostmourne has a thirst for souls doesnt it? its been a long time since ive thought of Warcraft tbh.

BloodRain
Stupid emoticon >___>

So Zeus can eg punch at supersonic, but wont because it didnt look like he did?
Gonna wait til I see the details on that before commenting.

Whats your opinion on the Ma3 slap? Cant see how thats not legit.

Nah, been shown that under the right conditions a human can sometimes catch an arrow. A peak human would do better. Slashing out of the is past the human limits, but its barely into superhuman standards.

Burning thought
Not sure if he can punch at supersonic and if he did, kratos doesnt really counter he, more like grabs him or bashes him with something. I recall Zeus possibly launching Kratos at supersonic but its not like Kratos dodges it, he just takes the plunge.

I dont know, its not a reaction feat though, Kratos didnt avoid it or counter it really and again, he just sort of took it, also when your dealing with things of such size, even if its moving fast, its traveling a long distance so its still to Kratos' perception going at normal speed, anyone would have seen it, they just unlike Kratos would have become paste.

Ive never seen a human catch an arrow out of the air but slashing it in half is something else. Also EA, was Arthas faceing the shooter (sylvanas?) in this case?

EvilAngel

BloodRain
BT: Have to remember that he was fighting mooks at the time and wasnt focusing on Cronos. He had to of reacted to it given his stance, if not he would have been lying flat.

EA: Thats not to give Zeus a reaction feat, its to give him a speed feat. A speed that Kratos can counter in hand to hand.

Should have figured that it would be at human speeds. Could just agree that their combat speed will be near enough the same.

Thats what I think. Kratos faced Zues who is of equal strength who was using the Blade of Olympus. Thats a foe with the strength and a weapon stronger than the King. I may be underestimating his sword but it would have to be impressive to match Olympus.

From what I gather the most effective ones there are that Plague depending on what it does, Raging Spirit if Kratos' soul resistance really doesnt matter for this (though he has defeated several clones of himself before), and possible the spells that freeze him over. Got an itch telling me that he's dealt with strong ice attacks before..

But how would he defend himself if Kratos physically attacks him? Because as powerful as he is, his chainblads could slice him from a distance.

Burning thought
He does not lift up Chronos' hand until a second or so later, its almost like he had enough space to stand anyway, even thought the titans fingers are pretty close together and he doesnt even realise hes not crushed Kratos until hes pushed it up completly. If you slapyour fingers together, unless you purposefully try and rub your palms together you can, form the small gap Kratos may have, consdering his size to Chronos fit in. Also stands toreason why Chronos didnt realise what was happening before he gets a stab.

ArtificialGlory
Several months ago, I tried to kill a mosquito by slapping it between my hands mid-air. I slowly spread my palms expecting to see a mess, but to my surprise, the mosquito was seemingly completely unharmed and flew away. I was quite shocked and pissed, but it reminded me of this Kratos feat.

BloodRain
Still manages to catch it, can even see later that he was only on a knee from the impact.

Bigs guys hands aint like ours. Doesnt appear to have the dip, and if it was like irl then Kratos would only be pushing his spongy skin and wouldnt be able to push no matter how hard he tried. Le fiction~

'Sides, he aint too bright..

EvilAngel
EA: Thats not to give Zeus a reaction feat, its to give him a speed feat. A speed that Kratos can counter in hand to hand.

Should have figured that it would be at human speeds. Could just agree that their combat speed will be near enough the same.

Thats what I think. Kratos faced Zues who is of equal strength who was using the Blade of Olympus. Thats a foe with the strength and a weapon stronger than the King. I may be underestimating his sword but it would have to be impressive to match Olympus.

From what I gather the most effective ones there are that Plague depending on what it does, Raging Spirit if Kratos' soul resistance really doesnt matter for this (though he has defeated several clones of himself before), and possible the spells that freeze him over. Got an itch telling me that he's dealt with strong ice attacks before..

But how would he defend himself if Kratos physically attacks him? Because as powerful as he is, his chainblads could slice him from a distance.

'A speed he can counter in hand to hand'. But that's not at all what you said. All that was said is; Zeus was able to jump from a mountain top to the clouds in a few seconds. There is no attack, thus there was no need for Kratos to 'counter'. The point is void as far as I can understand this,

We can agree if they are. From what I have seen of Kratos, and what I know of Arthas, Arthas would have a potentially significant striking speed advantage. I've also seen no one give me a straight answer as to Kratos's weapons feats themselves.

You want to know about Frostmourne? Very well I shall tell you all I know in short to-the-point bullet points.

- Arthas is able to wield the runeblade effortlessly, despite its size and weight
- It slices through plated armour with the same ease as though it were flesh
- It shatters most weapons it comes in contact with, including the elven runeblade Felo'melorn
- Those slain by Frostmourne have their souls drawn into the weapon
- Arthas, who has otherwise proven completely immune to cold once touched the blade barehanded and remarked that it was able to hurt even him with it being 'powerfully cold'
- Frostmourne can empower both itself and Arthas through devouring souls.

It's probably his potent magical power which kept the Dragons in doubt. But against mortal enemies he used his immense physical superiority.

He would fight with Frostmourne. He also has a retarded, if you'll pardon the word, amount of physical durability. A loaded attack from Tirion with the Ashbringer only weakened him somewhat

BloodRain
Well I assumed you knew it was to reference the speed of an apponent that Kratos beat. Speeds gonna be a non factor in this match anyhow.

From his arrow-timing he'd still be slower than opponets Kratos has faced, making his speed moot. To quote Neme's quote:

" 'You turn your hand against my creatures.' Artemis lowered the aim of her bow. 'Witness how I turn my hand against yours.' She released her arrow, which shot from her bow more swiftly than lightning and before it could strike, another arrow appeared and was released. So many arrows flew soswiftly,thatthegladeseemed filled with a golden haze, thatbuzzed and snarled likea nest of angry hornets. After that single instant, Artemis lowered her bow and looked up at Ares; 'So?' The God of War looked down upon his army, every once living creatureof hisin thatgladelay dead. Every undead creaturewasmutilated beyond recognition. The wolves and bears and elk stood untouched."

Artemis, a relatively minor god,wascapableof thisfeat.I do not think itisa stretch to assume thatZeuswasfaster.

Could Lich slash these arrows out of the air?

Thats because you dont usually get durabilty feats for weapons. Being wielded buy the powerhouses Zeus and Kratos is the best feat its gonna get.

Shattering weapons and the cold blade being the two greatest assets for this match. So far it seems the only threat is his ice magic/blade. And as strong and durable as he might be it wont come close to the Spartans strength. Not unless Tirion and Ashbringer are both insanely powerful as a person and a weapon.

NemeBro
Lich King doesn't have a soul, Frostmourne stole it the moment he touched the sword.

Does Kratos have a soul? =P

Yes, but Hades, who passively regulates and controls all the souls of the dead, could not rip out Kratos' soul.

/waits for BT lowballing.

I have no idea who told you the Blade of Olympus was drained and weakened. If anything, it is stronger, after Kratos at the beginning of God of War 2 poured his godly power into it.

What are the "feats" so to speak of the weapons Frostmourne has shattered?

Had Shin freeze the frames to check up on this, you are correct.

Huh? I'm talking about the Leviathan that shoots out of the water to grab a a Titan, it traveled many times the Titan's height in less than a second. A Titan is hundreds of meters tall (CosmicComet says 500 on average, will ask him about that), that is very demonstratably supersonic. Actually, one could easily argue it as hypersonic.

Any particular reason why Poseidon would consciously slow the Leviathan down? We've seen how fast they can go, and honestly a fourth of its top speed would be faster than Arthas, whose best feat is reacting to Illidan (Who performed a feat similar to Zeus' going above the clouds, so supersonic at least).

Mostly that he would be capable of closing the distance.

But then there is Artemis' feat, which is a great reaction-time feat, and I have no reason to believe she would be faster than Zeus, king of the gods. The only god that we can safely say is faster would probably be Hermes.

Oh, have another strength feat.

Y3rgcBaI4v8

Go to about 8:15.

This one is easy to miss. In the background, we see one of the Leviathans grabbing a Titan by the ankle, overpowering his grip on the mountain-top, and pulling it down. Kratos overpowers Leviathans, and IIRC even overpowered Poseidon's main body. Similarly, in part of the fight, a Leviathan overpowers Gaia's fist, with Kratos being capable of overpowering the Leviathan.

Honestly? In a physical battle, I don't think Arthas has much of a chance at all. Kratos is demonstratably faster, vastly stronger, and if he has the Blade of Olympus (You didn't give it to him, sure, but why would he not have it? Vs. forum rules dictate that the version of the character used is the latest version, who had it. Kratos has the blade all throughout GoW3. ), he has a more powerful weapon (Ended Great Titan War, can kill Titans in a single attack, etc). How durable is Arthas? Kratos has taken hits from people just as strong as he was, been knocked flying by a volcanic eruption without being injured, and some other shit that I forget.

What does The Fury of Frostmourne do by the way?

Demonic Phoenix
8UzOBzoAGQI4:48
Reacts to a point-blank explosion. Said explosion being powerful enough to destroy the upper section/room of a pillar that supported the World, so it was at least hypersonic.

'A speed he can counter in hand to hand'. But that's not at all what you said. All that was said is; Zeus was able to jump from a mountain top to the clouds in a few seconds. There is no attack, thus there was no need for Kratos to 'counter'. The point is void as far as I can understand this,

We can agree if they are. From what I have seen of Kratos, and what I know of Arthas, Arthas would have a potentially significant striking speed advantage. I've also seen no one give me a straight answer as to Kratos's weapons feats themselves.

You want to know about Frostmourne? Very well I shall tell you all I know in short to-the-point bullet points.

- Arthas is able to wield the runeblade effortlessly, despite its size and weight
- It slices through plated armour with the same ease as though it were flesh
- It shatters most weapons it comes in contact with, including the elven runeblade Felo'melorn
- Those slain by Frostmourne have their souls drawn into the weapon
- Arthas, who has otherwise proven completely immune to cold once touched the blade barehanded and remarked that it was able to hurt even him with it being 'powerfully cold'
- Frostmourne can empower both itself and Arthas through devouring souls.

It's probably his potent magical power which kept the Dragons in doubt. But against mortal enemies he used his immense physical superiority.

He would fight with Frostmourne. He also has a retarded, if you'll pardon the word, amount of physical durability. A loaded attack from Tirion with the Ashbringer only weakened him somewhat

Possibly, but Zeus has attempted to speedblitz Kratos before, and failed.

s7w4VPSo5Rk2:16
Kratos is able to decapitate the Barbarian King before he has a chance to complete his swing, while it looks as if time has slowed to a literal crawl (if you are fairly sharp-eyed, you can see a hint of movement from the BK's arms at approx 2:18).

Are you looking for the feats of just his signature Blades? Or all of his weapons?

- Kratos' Blades of Chaos/Athena/Exile are also capable of going through armour as if it were not there. The latter two have also gone through Zeus, who is a lot more durable than armour, while the former has wounded Ares, whose armor was supposed to be invincible to attacks from weapons (though I may be mis-remembering this).
- The Blades of Athena have ripped through the claws of the Leviathans, who are all incredibly strong and durable.
- The Blades of Exile have cut through Cronos' finger and they've been impaled in his finger-nail.
- The Blades are capable of draining energy from those they strike, and supplying Kratos with that energy. Gives him the ability to regenerate, and adding to his own regeneration.
- The chains & blades are surrounded by hellfire/underworld fire and iirc, they are capable of boiling a sizeable amount of water very quickly.

- Felo'melorn's feats?

This is without getting into his other weapons. One can rip out souls of gods, phase through any matter, and summon the souls of defeated enemies to use them for combat. Two weapons amp his striking power by a considerable degree, and one of those has helped him punch a hole in a weakened goddess while the other has helped him cave Hercules' face. One gives him infinite spear tosses. Another one has been used to kill a Titan (though this was done by Artemis, not Kratos, the feat still stands for the weapon). Finally, there's his Blade of Olympus.

Then there are his numerous magics, some combat-related relics like the Golden Fleece which lets him return attacks from his enemies, 2/4 amp modes (2 are confirmed to be canon while the other two could be gameplay only), the power of Hope which helped him own Ares & the very concept of Fear, and so on and so forth.

How powerful is Tirion with the Ashbringer?
The explosion of a point blank Lightning strike did not harm Kratos (conversely, it harmed Gaia's arm significantly, and her hand is durable enough to remain intact after a fall from Mt. Olympus to Tartarus), and Zeus slashing his torso with the Blade of Olympus does not slow him down. Of course, this is end-of-GoW2/GoW3 Kratos. GoW1 Kratos was less durable as far as feats are concerned.

Huh? I'm talking about the Leviathan that shoots out of the water to grab a a Titan, it traveled many times the Titan's height in less than a second. A Titan is hundreds of meters tall (CosmicComet says 500 on average, will ask him about that), that is very demonstratably supersonic. Actually, one could easily argue it as hypersonic.

Stig Asmussen has stated that Cronos was over 1600 feet tall. Most Titans are supposed to be roughly his height.

NemeBro
So yeah, about 500 meters.

Thanks for the extra feats.

Oh, one more feat I just remembered, is Kratos overpowering Hercules.

Now, I need verification on this next part: Is it true that in supplementary material, GoW's Hercules has held aloft the world as Atlas does? I've heard that before, can you (Or CC) verify it?

Demonic Phoenix
"Kratos strained like Hercules lifting the Sky from Atlas' shoulders," is what's written in the novel.

Atlas holds the Earth in GoW mythos, but this means that Hercules did in fact lift something as a part of one of his labours, and that his Labours were known to the rest of the world at that point in time. He even directly references his 12 Labours in GoW3. There's also the fact that some GoW characters are more or less intended to be the same as their Greek Myth counterparts unless otherwise stated.

It's a little hazy I suppose so it depends on your viewpoint.

EvilAngel

Utrigita
Lich King Arthur/Nerzhul stands a good chance of winning imo, but it realy depends on whether or not they can keep their distance. Going h2h with Kratos is, imo, suicide.

Burning thought
Still manages to catch it, can even see later that he was only on a knee from the impact.

Bigs guys hands aint like ours. Doesnt appear to have the dip, and if it was like irl then Kratos would only be pushing his spongy skin and wouldnt be able to push no matter how hard he tried. Le fiction~

'Sides, he aint too bright..

From my recent viewing, it seems to me he was standing, then he kneeled to push it up and use some strength. ALso logically he should be making a hole in Chronos hand, not pushing the whole thing up, so unless hes really careful with his presure or something, something is amiss. I dont think Kratos "cought" the blow, if anything it looks like he was in the palm crevice like AG and I mentioned.

Also what does Demonic mean when he says Kratos "reacted" to the explosion in that scene? it exploded, shattered the pillar, and?

Demon is also hyping the way that cutscene for Kratos is displayed, the barbarian king also bursted a mans head without the charge of horses moving, the whole scene is done like your looking at a painting and then moving rom one scene to another.

And the whole Herc thing is ambigious, the way Greeks percived the world, the universe and how things worked was completly unique to the actual science we employ, so people holding up the sky does not really mean anything, although we know Hercules strength at the point he fought Kratos and it peaks out at about 500-1000 tons at best, although arguable since he couldnt push the same object he moved off him just because Kratos was standing on it, apprently add a humans weight and herc was stranded.

Demonic Phoenix

EvilAngel

Burning thought
After Ganon Kratos is the most hyped here, especially strengthwise. Youve got some people who probably think or imply he could lift the planet, and some think hes got millions of tons of strength. Why then does he need the use of a cyclopse with a wooden club? to knock a few mooks off their feet, infact if you get too close to the mooks they just push kratos away....

exOlHAUZg1A

Thats actually scripted and canon, just as required as him tearing off helios' head in the first place, and iirc he also struggles to rip the Cyclopse eye out as well, considering the fact his best feats, those concerning Titans are really just hyped out of proportion anyway especially when they use their smallest pinches on him with an unkown amount of force, and the leviathan is once again being hyped, assumed to be moving at full speed and strength regardless of the situation.

It also takes some effort to rip off Helios' head..this scene alone shows about 3 undeniable counters to Kratos' strength while his best feats can be argued for a long time. Unless someones argument is "zomg, but itz Olmypian trees the Cyclops uses and they can take Titan punches!" then this would have to be proven, they look no more unique to any other tree the Cyclopse have used in previous games.

I dont think Kratos has any feats to suggest he can take blows from the LK on his flesh.

Demonic Phoenix

Burning thought
"A titans gut", at that level it may as well be human flesh. Infact comparatively speaking, Cronos does not have much stronger, if at all flesh than a human would be if it was his size. He is so covered in bloody damage to his body from chains and such that a huamn would also be if you tightened chains aronud them that tightly. I dont think Chronos has tanked anything that would prove his flesh comparatively speaking would be any resistance at that level. Especially inside his body.

Also, I lol at the loom chamber being brought up as if its in this thread and the amulet of fates which requires area specific statues to actiavte. kratos has no time powers outside of the loom chamber itself or the sisters home.

Not to mension the fact that Kratos did not react ot the explosion, simply light coming from her body. Which can be seen shielded again by how light is around Kratos' block, not through him.

Demonic Phoenix
Yeah, no. At his size, humans would not be capable of existing.

EA has not specified what is and what is not present.
He first went to fight Zeus in his past. After returning to the Loom in the present, he went back to the far past, and sent a bunch of Titans and himself to Mt. Olympus. He does not have to physically be in the Chamber itself to manip time & space.

Light = explosion.

~ Do be quiet. Mom and Dad are talking.

EvilAngel

Burning thought
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix

EA has not specified what is and what is not present.
He first went to fight Zeus in his past. After returning to the Loom in the present, he went back to the far past, and sent a bunch of Titans and himself to Mt. Olympus. He does not have to physically be in the Chamber itself to manip time & space.

Light = explosion.

~ Do be quiet. Mom and Dad are talking.

Why? with comparative muscles, organs, systems etc? he has no extra or special durability tbh, he is cut by things an enormous human would be in the same situation.

The light is not the explosion, the explosion happens after the light though, so your making things up.

No, but he has to be able to access to loom chamber to make any changes. Thats the whole point of him moving hte looms in the chamber, he changed the past/future etc by moving them, which is shown by him transporting from each area, there was no point after GoW 2 that he simply decided to teleport to the loom chamber and apprently change some things. not ot mension the butchered logic that would require him to be able to tap into a thread of destinty from entities not even in his universe or in greek myth.

Also, apart from trolling/baiting thats also a strange statement because "dad" is extremely ignorant of his source material in this case, it would be odd if the son knew more so you must be the pretty luddite father then in your scenario who does not play games like GoW?

The Scenario
Why? with comparative muscles, organs, systems etc? he has no extra or special durability tbh, he is cut by things an enormous human would be in the same situation.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquareCubeLaw

Just to jump in for a moment. By physics, muscles, organs, and systems don't scale up the same way weight would. As the article states, if you double a human's size it's strength goes up by less than its mass, which puts more weight on them. Strength increases four times, but weight increases eight, and that's only for doubling height. Higher multipliers increase it exponentially. In order for it work, strength and durability would have to be multiplied by eight as well, just to keep up, but physics says this is impossible. At a titan's size, a human's skin and muscle wouldn't have gone up enough to counter his own weight and he'd end up crushing himself.

Note that I'm not saying titans are durable because of this, that's just how it would have to be if you want to apply physics. The simple truth is that scaled up humans can't work without supernatural assistance, so trying to determine a titan's abilities by scaling up a human also just won't work, because scaling up a human just won't work. Divine power is pretty much the only way for a titan to even be plausible.

EvilAngel
I'll see if I can find the video. And when the Blade of Olympus has cut through a Titan's gut as if it were human flesh (which is far more impressive than anything I've seen from the Lich King's Frostmourne),
Sorry I missed this part.

Frostmourne has already been stated to cut through plate as though it were flesh. Given all the other things listed I think it's pretty offensive you make such an absent-minded claim. The information on Frostmourne is posted, go and look.

A very weakened Arthas was able to kill a fully grown blue Dragon, Sapphiron. The Previous guardian of the Blue Dragon Shrine. He and follow dragons fell to Arthas.

That said it's almost moot. If you're seriously of the opinion a titans skin is more durable than a Runeblade, there's no future of this vs. I refuse to argue with someone who is being intentionally dense (no offense)

Burning thought
Originally posted by The Scenario

Just to jump in for a moment. By physics, muscles, organs, and systems don't scale up the same way weight would. As the article states, if you double a human's size it's strength goes up by less than its mass, which puts more weight on them. Strength increases four times, but weight increases eight, and that's only for doubling height. Higher multipliers increase it exponentially. In order for it work, strength and durability would have to be multiplied by eight as well, just to keep up, but physics says this is impossible. At a titan's size, a human's skin and muscle wouldn't have gone up enough to counter his own weight and he'd end up crushing himself.

Note that I'm not saying titans are durable because of this, that's just how it would have to be if you want to apply physics. The simple truth is that scaled up humans can't work without supernatural assistance, so trying to determine a titan's abilities by scaling up a human also just won't work, because scaling up a human just won't work. Divine power is pretty much the only way for a titan to even be plausible.

The "divine" part does not work, infact I would say his durability seems to be not much more than a humans, his skin cuts just the same, hes just larger. His strength is high enough to hold his own weight and Pandoras temple though. Iirc his own weight would be, using just physics on human weight was around 30-40 million tons iirc but its been a while since we did those calculations, BR and I.

W/e allows him to hold his own weight, does not seem to allow him to be equelly durable or strong, since he cant do things a human would likely do. For one, tearing that thing out of his jaw with both hands shouldnt be impossible for him.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by The Scenario

Kinda funny how the first sentence of the article is "A scientific principle often ignored in media."

Sorry I missed this part.

Frostmourne has already been stated to cut through plate as though it were flesh. Given all the other things listed I think it's pretty offensive you make such an absent-minded claim. The information on Frostmourne is posted, go and look.

A very weakened Arthas was able to kill a fully grown blue Dragon, Sapphiron. The Previous guardian of the Blue Dragon Shrine. He and follow dragons fell to Arthas.

That said it's almost moot. If you're seriously of the opinion a titans skin is more durable than a Runeblade, there's no future of this vs. I refuse to argue with someone who is being intentionally dense (no offense)

Didn't Arthas(this was Arthas as a weakened Death Knight, not the Lich King) have Anub'arak and other undead cronies to help him in that fight?

NemeBro

NemeBro
- The Lich King could get close enough to use Frostmourne.
- The Lich King could react before his head is ten feet away from his body.
- The Lich King would even be able to see Kratos getting in close.
- The Lich King would survive Gorgon Magics, or get past being blinded by Light Manipulation.
- The Lich King would not be vaporized by Poseidon's Rage.
- The Lich King would not be immolated by the fire surrounding the Blades.
- The Lich King would be able to get past Kratos' Amulet of the Fates which slows Time.
- The Lich King would be able to negate Kratos's time manip with the Loom Chamber, with which he could just send the Lich King to the past, or future, or some other place even.
- Frostmourne is supposedly strong enough to even nick Kratos.
- Frostmourne is supposedly strong enough to shatter Chain Blades that can hurt a Titan (that particular instance wasn't entirely strength, as Kratos barely had any leverage and was on the finger of Cronos)

DP I am going to have to ask you a few things...

What feats has Poseidon's Rage shown?

When have the chain blades immolated anything?

When has Kratos been shown to manipulate time outside the Loom chamber (Going from the past back to the present doesn't actually count).

When has the Amulet of Fates slown time without one of those nifty statues present?

Demonic Phoenix

Demonic Phoenix
DP I am going to have to ask you a few things...

What feats has Poseidon's Rage shown?

When have the chain blades immolated anything?

When has Kratos been shown to manipulate time outside the Loom chamber (Going from the past back to the present doesn't actually count).

When has the Amulet of Fates slown time without one of those nifty statues present?

Left a 100 ft. crater around Kratos and vaporized everything in that range, in the novel. That range was its upper limit for GoW1 Kratos.

Meh, was being a dick in general with that entire thing. That said, the chains have burned right through his flesh, and the blades of his clones burned him as well. They've also boiled a large amount of water I think, but I may be mis-remembering that.

Err, why wouldn't it count again? He has done more than go back to the Loom Chamber/Present. He's used it to transport a bunch of Titans and himself to the timeline where he just fought Zeus, and I doubt he dragged a bunch of Titans through the Loom Chamber, unless you think otherwise. He needs to rewind a thread to go to a subject's past. Nothing about him needing to be in the chamber itself to transport stuff.

You see anything from EA stating that those nifty statues aren't present? She hasn't brought up any stips.

The light is not the explosion, the explosion happens after the light though, so your making things up.

No, but he has to be able to access to loom chamber to make any changes. Thats the whole point of him moving hte looms in the chamber, he changed the past/future etc by moving them, which is shown by him transporting from each area, there was no point after GoW 2 that he simply decided to teleport to the loom chamber and apprently change some things. not ot mension the butchered logic that would require him to be able to tap into a thread of destinty from entities not even in his universe or in greek myth.

Also, apart from trolling/baiting thats also a strange statement because "dad" is extremely ignorant of his source material in this case, it would be odd if the son knew more so you must be the pretty luddite father then in your scenario who does not play games like GoW?

Light = explosion.

He does not have to physically be in the Chamber itself to manip time & space.

Yeah, no. The son is the ignorant one here, whose knowledge is not comparable to that of the father's. Then again, the son is typically always ignorant. He has a very active imagination though. Everyone finds that amusing.

EvilAngel

EvilAngel

Burning thought

Light = explosion.

He does not have to physically be in the Chamber itself to manip time & space.

Yeah, no. The son is the ignorant one here, whose knowledge is not comparable to that of the father's. Then again, the son is typically always ignorant. He has a very active imagination though. Everyone finds that amusing.

Those are some great arguments, really, but no evidence? Scenario is not even part of the thread but his interest in trying to counter me in any thread brought him to bring some factors to consider, does not help you though, Cronos has still tanked nothing.

Erm, as I said the explosion has a different hue, she glows, much like every godlike being has done in death and then explodes, in a different hue.

Thats never been shown or proven, this claim sort of spits in the eye of the entire game of GoW 3, where many oppertunities would have been useful for him to just port back to the loom chamber and play with threads of fate. This is not the case, I think your mistaking the "manipulation" of threads before he started porting, he stopped those manipulations after he has all the Titans with him. I like how your counter to Neme for those statues is that EA apprently has to specifcally say their not here, its actually the opposite so you need to also look into this forums general activities as well and learn the rules, we dont automatically assume all nick nacks that help our characters are there in the thread for them. if that were the case, Kain can use timestreaming devices...

Yes active imagination, like Titan tossing Kratos who can control his fate on the fly and move and fight hypersonic? does that about cover you?

Look up your source again, none of those things are evident, many like the loom chamber thing show a lack of understanding on the fundementals of the series.

ScreamPaste
Couldn't sleep, go figure.

This is correct.

This is not.

1. Zoom out far enough and you'd be amazed how fast something can move while still being easy to watch. Particularly large objects.
2. This is fundamentally wrong because in gameplay the player has to be able to react to things. :/ Players are not the superhumans that the protagonists we play as are. Many can dodge bullets, or even stop them and line them up if they're flashy, white haired douches. Humans can't, lol. This doesn't mean bullets are subsonic in any game where they're dodgable by the player.

Burning thought

To be perfectly blunt the hand of a Titan is stronger than anything Arthas has demonstrated, at least, that you have shown me. They can chuck boulders that are about the size of their torsos (So over a hundred meters) thousands of feet into the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3rgcBaI4v8&feature=player_embedded

This can be seen at about 7:25 in.

Something similar can be seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOzGvWPQjxs&feature=relmfu

At about 2:35 we see Hades pulling on his chain blades, before making a Titan tumble.

Hades has another strength feat here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_V5wXQW96Q

At about 0:10 in, we see Hades restraining a struggling Cronos. Now granted, he had leverage when he did this, but even being able to pull something as large as Cronos, let alone fighting against his strength (For reference, he has been, in the GoW setting, been carrying a big ass palace on his back for thousands of years, without tiring, so he's not just big, he's superhumanly powerful for his size as well) is a very good strength feat, better than what I have seen for Arthas.

Whats the point of all this again? The only force from a Titan Kratos has witnessed is from being prodded by Chronos' finger, thats about it and to push it away he slashes it as well, Chronos just laughs....

If your argueing that Kratos is stronger than Hades then this is not evident at all....hades was enormous in those fights, wheras when he was fighting Kratos he was at best 20 feet+.

Oh, and Chronos is cearly not going to be at his peak when he does face Kratos, the guy as you said has had a building on his back, crawling around for centuries and is so covered by cuts and sores and massive holes like small canyons from where the chains have bitten into him. I am pretty sure if you put a rock on the back of the strongest man in the world and made him crawl through the desert hes not going to be at his peak assuming they drag him out alive.

To add to that, this whole "he overpowered leviathans" thing is also pointless, most of the time their using single claws against him and are also fighting for purchase on Gaia at the same time whos moving about, its like trying to hold onto something have having something else attacking it at the same time.

EvilAngel
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Couldn't sleep, go figure.

This is correct.

This is not.

1. Zoom out far enough and you'd be amazed how fast something can move while still being easy to watch. Particularly large objects.
2. This is fundamentally wrong because in gameplay the player has to be able to react to things. :/ Players are not the superhumans that the protagonists we play as are. Many can dodge bullets, or even stop them and line them up if they're flashy, white haired douches. Humans can't, lol. This doesn't mean bullets are subsonic in any game where they're dodgable by the player.

I don't presume it has occured that it is the other way around and it's a possibility no one has considered.

"A scientific principle often ignored in media" this is the first line something someone linked. Does it occur to no one else that these beings aren't intended to be hypersonic, but simply huge. That they are not trying to insinuate that Kratos can react to hyper sonic speeds so much as simply fight these huge beings? Isn't that enough for you people?

There are probably several instances where were Kratos as fast as implied he would have been able to respond differently, yet he doesn't. Maybe I'm being ill-conceited towards him, quite possibly. But when I watch these videos at no point do I feel that the creators meant for these to be the insanely fast things you guys are making them out to be.

Burning thought
I think the problem people argueing GoW have is that their talking about vast entities, they dont have to be hypersonic to travel distance in X speed because of their sheer size. You can obviously see in cutscenes or otherwise the speed of the blocks of stone they throw their not hypersonic or even super, otherwise not only would large chunks fall of but the heat would build as well.

Also, things that are fast is one thing, Kratos reacting to them is another. Theres no real reaction here on hypersonic levels.

Nor max strength beyond about 200 tons+

Also conerning the hades fight, Hades has no real durability feats and smashing his head against the roof of his home can smash his helmet off and reveal his skull underneath without damaging the stone. Yet, Kratos with his blades has to put some effort into carving small piecies off of Hades.....

This is consistent with the fact, even putting into some effort he moves a light casque carrying persephone just a few meters and requires to do it more than one to break what looks like an iron statues chest, as well as consistent with requiring a wooden club wielding Cyclopse to knock a few mooks aside.

Theres more consistency in Kratos being in the tens-hundreds of tons strength than any higher values, and as for speed, fighting enemies that can go fast is completly different to fighting enemies that did when he fought them. And using feats from other gods in novels and argueing "well zeus has to be faster!" is also not even worth mentioning, its laughable.

ScreamPaste
To be clear, my issue was with the idea behind it, this part specifically:

Games as a medium have to allow for human players. I'm not specifically talking about instances of Kratos fighting huge monsters.

I'm not too invested in this thread, but I'll comment that
-You are correct in what reaction time is, it's how much time you have to react. /Obvious
-While it is possible these creatures are just meant to be huge, Kratos fights other stuff as well and has other feats. The gods are smaller and have some pretty intentional feats. Poseidon for example dive bombing that Titan has a plain visual effect to show his speed, and the scale of the titans and such does ensure he is moving a few miles in a few seconds.

...But this isn't my argument to make. I'll just leave it at: Gameplay makes concessions for the human player. We cannot disregard something because a player can react to it. We're the ones the games are made for, after all. stick out tongue

Burning thought
Wheres the concession here? What scene?

ArtificialGlory

EvilAngel
I cannot recall the forces you engage with it in the game. However I can tell you all he crosses the sea with canonically is some ghouls and a couple of necromancers. Neither of which would pose any threat to Sapphiron. They don't receive much nerubian support until they enter Azjol Nerub. It really was pretty much just Arthas and Anub'Arak.

ArtificialGlory
I cannot recall the forces you engage with it in the game. However I can tell you all he crosses the sea with canonically is some ghouls and a couple of necromancers. Neither of which would pose any threat to Sapphiron. They don't receive much nerubian support until they enter Azjol Nerub. It really was pretty much just Arthas and Anub'Arak.

Anub'arak brought a bunch of Nerubians with him. Arthas at that point already had a base of operations set up with Ghouls, Meat Wagons, Crypt Fiends, Necromancers, and other undead nasties riding at his back. Though to be fair, Sapphiron also had backup.

EvilAngel
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Anub'arak brought a bunch of Nerubians with him. Arthas at that point already had a base of operations set up with Ghouls, Meat Wagons, Crypt Fiends, Necromancers, and other undead nasties riding at his back. Though to be fair, Sapphiron also had backup.

Perhaps this is the case in the warcraft III game, I did say I cannot recall specifically. In the book however, (which is truer to the events according to lore and as stated in the OP a credible source for this thread) they cannot construct a base in mere minutes, nor would doing so provide any benefits. The moment they get off the ships they are attacked by Kael'Thas and his dragonhawk riders. He escapes via teleport due to Arthas losing further power, still hurting him greatly in the book.

From then it's a straight dash to Icecrown.

As i said in the book he only has some very basic stuff. The Dreadlords and Sylvanas see to that.

ArtificialGlory
Well, I haven't read the books. The Frozen Throne is really my only source. I imagine Arthas and his Necromancers raised Kael's slaughtered forces and added Anub'arak and his Nerubians to his forces, creating a small army.

EvilAngel
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Well, I haven't read the books. The Frozen Throne is really my only source. I imagine Arthas and his Necromancers raised Kael's slaughtered forces and added Anub'arak and his Nerubians to his forces, creating a small army.

There weren't that many of them, they killed more than there were. Mostly it was just a nuisance. And as I said most of the nerubians met up with them in Azjol Nerub. The party they moved with until that time was small.

BloodRain
Looking over some things Im wondering how Kratos will fair against the Ashbringer given that huge blast in the pic EA posted.

EvilAngel
Looking over some things Im wondering how Kratos will fair against the Ashbringer given that huge blast in the pic EA posted.

Very well. Ashbringer is a Holy Weapon. Ergo unless you are actually evil/unholy it wouldn't give a tenth of that kind of power against you.

Kratos would beat the crap out of Tirion. Even Uther I suspect.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.