The Ray Vs Guy Gardner

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/48365/1890028-glc_13_taft_0014_large.jpg

vs

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/66037/2124190-__kgrhqvhjbke63vtkuy_bo6cre_n5g__60_3_large.jpeg

cdtm
I don't know much about the new Ray, but I think Ray Terrill could beat him. He seemed pretty overpowered, and even fought Lobo to a draw, than got back in his face and TAUNTED HIM. And Lobo was like "I got better things to do."

zopzop
You know, pre reboot they fought before. Guy won but everyone commented that it was only because Ray was young and inexperienced (in fact that was a common theme in the JLA issues when he was on the team, extremely powerful but a complete novice).

I have no clue how powerful nuRay and nuGuy are or if nuRay even has all the same powers as pre reboot Ray.

cdtm
To his credit, he basically dominated Dr. Polaris once he got serious, finding a way past his shields and just blasting the hell out of him, and he's generally a GL rogue. And it was hinted with more experience, he'd be a beast, as he did things like pinpoint specific regions of the brain to wipe out a personality, plus the stuff his father did like telepathy simulation (Who has a similar power set, but can't go energy form)

OneDumbG0
^ Ray ever manipulate green lantern energy?

Nietzschean
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
^ Ray ever manipulate green lantern energy? I dont recall Ray ever manipulating green lantern constructs not that it is beyond his ability.

but that Ray in the OP is a completely different Ray.

Ray Terrill has manipulated stargate(wormhole) energy and open up a gate.
The same with sensing and manipulating Electromagnetic energy in that he could feel it and track the energy.

He has shown the ability to absorb various types of energy patterns given time to analyze it. I would say if it is light based it is far easier for him to do.

The Ray actually absorbed a giant light entity that lived on a sun into himself.

OneDumbG0
^ Actually... Ray was one of the ones during Zero Hour that was absorbing the plasma energy universe's energy, right?

Nietzschean
^ Actually... Ray was one of the ones during Zero Hour that was absorbing the plasma energy universe's energy, right? I dont remember. i have to go to closet and dig it out. but, i think he was one of the ones absorbing energy discharges from parallax.

cdtm
^ Ray ever manipulate green lantern energy?

Not to my knowledge, but another character that could create and manipulate hard light constructs like Ray have done so, and to Kyle as Ion 2.0.

cdtm
Flipping through the Priest run of Ray again. Ray's basically dirt poor at the start of the story, can only afford a cheap apartment, is living paycheck to paycheck, and works customer service.

And he also owns a notebook powerful enough to simulate a super villain for his training. O_o

Notebooks were like 6k in 1994. eek!

Nietzschean
Originally posted by cdtm
Flipping through the Priest run of Ray again. Ray's basically dirt poor at the start of the story, can only afford a cheap apartment, is living paycheck to paycheck, and works customer service.

And he also owns a notebook powerful enough to simulate a super villain for his training. O_o

Notebooks were like 6k in 1994. eek! I take it you didnt finish reading it.

it was Ray using his light mapping powers to create a 3 dimensional hard light villain that picked up on the computer algorithm. the whole point was that Ray was a genius computer programmer.

cdtm
Originally posted by Nietzschean
I take it you didnt finish watching it.

it was Ray using his light mapping powers to create a 3 dimensional hard light villain that picked up on the computer algorithm. the whole point was that Ray was a genius computer programmer.

Reading. You read comics. stick out tongue

And I understand all that, but he still programmed the AI using the laptop before animating it as a hard light construct with his powers, indicating a cutting edge system. Even accounting for comic book science, being able to afford a notebook at 1994 prices on a KFC equivalent paycheck stretches suspension of disbelief, given how he's worried if he'll be able to meet his rent and got turned down for credit because his job is a joke.

Nietzschean
Reading. You read comics. stick out tongue

And I understand all that, but he still programmed the AI using the laptop before animating it as a hard light construct with his powers, indicating a cutting edge system. Even accounting for comic book science, being able to afford a notebook at 1994 prices on a KFC equivalent paycheck stretches suspension of disbelief, given how he's worried if he'll be able to meet his rent and got turned down for credit because his job is a joke. his laptop was build by Ray iirc cause he couldnt afford it otherwise and it was mention by Jenny to Happy Terrill when they were mucking around with it.

In one issue he would mention about how he has to save up to buy parts for it at the radio shack DC store.

cdtm
Ah, I can see that than. Yeah, comic book characters build high tech stuff out of junk all the time.

Still kind of weird reading a 1994 story talking casually about modern pc conventions like reformatting hard drives and carrying around notebooks. Back in the early 90's, most of the people I grew up with had cheap Apple computers, like the IIC or IIGS, which didn't even have a hard drive and used those giant 5 1/4 inch floppies. Our schools had those too, along with some Commodore 64 systems.

Nietzschean
Ah, I can see that than. Yeah, comic book characters build high tech stuff out of junk all the time.

Still kind of weird reading a 1994 story talking casually about modern pc conventions like reformatting hard drives and carrying around notebooks. Back in the early 90's, most of the people I grew up with had cheap Apple computers, like the IIC or IIGS, which didn't even have a hard drive and used those giant 5 1/4 inch floppies. It was his only real hobby as a kid since living alone as Dark Boy. he had bn building his own computers for years. All this was in the comic series..

Vandal Savage even brought it up to Ray with why he works at Chicken Shack when he should be working for a computer company. that he is one of the few ppl his age that could build his own computer, and program complicated computer codes. Soon after Savage gave him his own computer company to run as a programmer.

cdtm
Well, I'm reading issues from the Priest run right now. Eventually, I'll try and get the mini that predates it that covers his origin in more detail.

BruceSkywalker
Gardner by default...

nuRay is only one issue in, good issue but Gardner shouldn't have a problem

cdtm
Yeah, current Ray doesn't have the feats.

Like this one:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo6cwyZFjl1qeenqto1_500.jpg

Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.