Annihilus (Annihilation) vs Lord Mar-Vell

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
Who wins?

Sin I AM
q bands?

Stoic
Originally posted by Sin I AM
q bands?

Nope

Sin I AM
mar-vell

OneDumbG0
Not sure. But Annihilus sure did accomplish a lot more than Lord Mar-Vell did in 616.

zopzop
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Not sure. But Annihilus sure did accomplish a lot more than Lord Mar-Vell did in 616.

But didn't Annihilus have Thanos' help. He was the one that convinced T and A to take out Big G so they can use him as their Doomsday Weapon. A lot of Annihilus' success came through sheer luck. I mean what if T and A said no, or what if they died in the Kylnn raid like Antiphon did? Annihilus would be SOoL big grin

As for the thread topic, Lord Mar-vell wins IMHO.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by zopzop
But didn't Annihilus have Thanos' help. He was the one that convinced T and A to take out Big G so they can use him as their Doomsday Weapon. A lot of Annihilus' success came through sheer luck. I mean what if T and A said no, or what if they died in the Kylnn raid like Antiphon did? Annihilus would be SOoL big grin

As for the thread topic, Lord Mar-vell wins IMHO. Lord Mar-Vell had the Undying Ones, Magus, the Universal Church of Truth and his entire universe if you want to get technical about who had more help. What if the Undying Ones told Lord Mar-Vell to go FTAGHN himself?

psycho gundam
^ checkmate

zopzop
Lord Mar-Vell had the Undying Ones, Magus, the Universal Church of Truth and his entire universe if you want to get technical about who had more help. What if the Undying Ones told Lord Mar-Vell to go FTAGHN himself?

But that's sort of the whole point with Lord Mar-vell, he was their Avatar like Thanos was/is Death's Avatar. So the Undying Ones and their universe backing him is sort of the whole point with him big grin

With Annihilus it was nothing but luck. Luck that Death told Thanos to play along with Annihilus, luck that T and A were housed in the Kylnn AND not destroyed like Antiphon, luck that T and A had beef with Galactus (who happened to be the target of Annihilus' goal), luck that instead of incinerating Thanos on the spot they heard him out and took out Galactus.

psycho gundam
mar-vell also had his plot-knife

OneDumbG0
^ Which he specifically requested from the Undying Ones. Originally posted by zopzop
But that's sort of the whole point with Lord Mar-vell, he was their Avatar like Thanos was/is Death's Avatar. So the Undying Ones and their universe backing him is sort of the whole point with him big grin

With Annihilus it was nothing but luck. Luck that Death told Thanos to play along with Annihilus, luck that T and A were housed in the Kylnn AND not destroyed like Antiphon, luck that T and A had beef with Galactus (who happened to be the target of Annihilus' goal), luck that instead of incinerating Thanos on the spot they heard him out and took out Galactus. Guess Lord Mar-Vell on his own without outside assistance is a pu$$y then.

Lord Mar-Vell was lucky that he tricked his idiotic Earth heroes into joining him for the Necropsy; without which that universe's Death wouldn't have been destroyed in the first place.

zopzop
^ Which he specifically requested from the Undying Ones. Guess Lord Mar-Vell on his own without outside assistance is a pu$$y then.

Duh! Captain Marvel is a weak feeb compared to Lord Mar-vell. In fact, I HATED the original Captain Marvel because he was weaksauce trash. The Undying One's Avatar of Life Lord Mar-vell was freaking bad@ss.

Exactly. But that was all planned out. Annihilus' stuff was dumb luck smile

the ninjak
Lord Mar-Vell should win. I'm not a fan of ABCLogic but-

Nova Prime>Annihilus
Mar-Vell>Nova-Surfer.

Stoic
Originally posted by the ninjak
Lord Mar-Vell should win. I'm not a fan of ABCLogic but-

Nova Prime>Annihilus
Mar-Vell>Nova-Surfer.

Actually Annihilus was greater than Nova Prime, and Quasar before he was hurt by Galactus' universe destroying blast. Remember their initial meeting when Anni devoured Quasar, and made Nova retreat?

quanchi112
Mar-vell, easily.

Bouboumaster
I'll go with Mar-Vell.

Annihilus got killed by Nova.
Mar-Vell died after an ass kicking from Thanos, and a touch from Death itself.

Sr J-Bieb
Duh! Captain Marvel is a weak feeb compared to Lord Mar-vell. In fact, I HATED the original Captain Marvel because he was weaksauce trash. The Undying One's Avatar of Life Lord Mar-vell was freaking bad@ss.
Sickening

Mar-Vell was awesome. Not too powerful, not too weak powerwise, but he was a great character.

zopzop
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Sickening

Mar-Vell was awesome. Not too powerful, not too weak powerwise, but he was a great character.

Meh, he was nothing till the Undying Ones got a hold of him! Lord Mar-vell forever!

Fhtagn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6268/pentac.jpg

Stoic
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
I'll go with Mar-Vell.

Annihilus got killed by Nova.
Mar-Vell died after an ass kicking from Thanos, and a touch from Death itself.

To be fair though, if Mar-Vell was hit by a blast from a furious Galactus, Nova would have likely beaten him as well. Annihilus devoured Quasar, and set his sights on Nova, who had no choice but to flee from him, and he didn't have possession of the quantum bands at that time.

I think that whoever won this, it wouldn't be a stomp.

dmills
Originally posted by Stoic
To be fair though, if Mar-Vell was hit by a blast from a furious Galactus, Nova would have likely beaten him as well. Annihilus devoured Quasar, and set his sights on Nova, who had no choice but to flee from him, and he didn't have possession of the quantum bands at that time.

I think that whoever won this, it wouldn't be a stomp.

Annihilus doesn't get that pass anymore.

If this battle comes down to who kicked Nova's ass the best -which is pathetic- then I'd have to lean towards Mar-vell. He fought the better more polished Nova Prime while casually brushing off Richies attacks and waltzing through his defenses. That, plus the Surfer and Magus feats.

Stoic
Originally posted by dmills

If this battle comes down to who kicked Nova's ass the best -which is pathetic- then I'd have to lean towards Mar-vell. He fought the better more polished Nova Prime while casually brushing off Richies attacks and waltzing through his defenses. That, plus the Surfer and Magus feats.

I can't buy that completely because how do you explain Anni beating Quasar with ease? he literally ate him. Also Nova wasn't some neophyte after all he was a Nova Centurion for the past 3-4 decades. I mean sure he could have gelled better with World Mind but he seemed pretty in control of his motor function during the fight. Like I said before whoever wins this won't be taking it without going through a huge war.

dmills
I can't buy that completely because how do you explain Anni beating Quasar with ease? he literally ate him. Also Nova wasn't some neophyte after all he was a Nova Centurion for the past 3-4 decades. I mean sure he could have gelled better with World Mind but he seemed pretty in control of his motor function during the fight. Like I said before whoever wins this won't be taking it without going through a huge war.

Quasar's bands are ineffective vs antimatter, which Annihilus is composed of iirc. That explains the way he just dug through the shielding.

In Rider's case, he was still getting acclaimated to the entire Nova Force. Prior to the first encounter between Nova and the bug, the WM was going to boost his Nova Force supply but Rich told it not to give him too much power. He was afraid of loosing control.

Increasing Nova Force supply to your bio pattern...You can't give me too much

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/Nova%20CQB%20protocols/picsay-1324623630.jpg

Then the fight itself. He utilized no shielding, no speed etc.

Oh I agree it'll be a good fight. I just think Mar-vell takes it.

OneDumbG0

If this battle comes down to who kicked Nova's ass the best -which is pathetic- then I'd have to lean towards Mar-vell. He fought the better more polished Nova Prime while casually brushing off Richies attacks and waltzing through his defenses. That, plus the Surfer and Magus feats. You don't believe Annihilus could bust Surfer's board? S'pose that's reasonable.

In defense of Nova Prime though, he clearly was going all-out against Annihilus at the end (who was taxed by the Galactus Event) and Ryder wasn't sharing any of the Nova Force power with a neophyte Nova Corps. Same can't be said of his encounter with Lord Mar-Vell during Thanos Imperative.

dmills
You don't believe Annihilus could bust Surfer's board? S'pose that's reasonable.

In defense of Nova Prime though, he clearly was going all-out against Annihilus at the end (who was taxed by the Galactus Event) and Ryder wasn't sharing any of the Nova Force power with a neophyte Nova Corps. Same can't be said of his encounter with Lord Mar-Vell during Thanos Imperative.

Oh he'd bust his board, hurt him or whatever sure. I dont see him atomizing Magus though.

Going all out within the confines of his self imposed limits sure. Utilizing the full power of the Nova force all out? No way. There are several reasons for this, but he never even entertained the notion until issue 25 or so of his series.

I think he displayed a bit more all around ability vs Mar-vell imo. Mar-vell just thoroughly went through nearly everything Nova had. Speed blitz, Shields, psionic defenses, WM cut off etc. Although I suppose that could be attributed to the nature -magic- of his powers then the level of power itself.

Personally I think the Nova that fought Mar-vell in the Thanos Imperative would've done much better against Annihilus then he did in their original confrontation.

zopzop
Quasar's bands are ineffective vs antimatter, which Annihilus is composed of iirc. That explains the way he just dug through the shielding.

I knew he killed Quasar but I didn't know how he did it, I googled the scans and found them at comicvine. He just punched through Q's shield and Quasar was desperately trying to fight him off. Looking at those scans, he MANHANDLED Quasar and Nova (Prime)? I don't think even adding Surfer, Gladiator and BRB would have saved their @ss either. Annihilus was literally eating their power. Sh|t, I'm getting scared now stick out tongue He may have a better chance vs Lord Mar-vell than I thought sad

Can anyone confirm Annihilus is composed of antimatter? Because if he isn't, he muscled through the best Quasar could do (no "weakness" exploit) and "annihilated" him.

dmills
I knew he killed Quasar but I didn't know how he did it, I googled the scans and found them at comicvine. He just punched through Q's shield and Quasar was desperately trying to fight him off. Looking at those scans, he MANHANDLED Quasar and Nova (Prime)? I don't think even adding Surfer, Gladiator and BRB would have saved their @ss either. Annihilus was literally eating their power. Sh|t, I'm getting scared now stick out tongue He may have a better chance vs Lord Mar-vell than I thought sad

Can anyone confirm Annihilus is composed of antimatter? Because if he isn't, he muscled through the best Quasar could do (no "weakness" exploit) and "annihilated" him.

He was born in the negative zone. That entire universe and everything in it is antimatter.

zopzop
He was born in the negative zone. That entire universe and everything in it is antimatter.

Then wouldn't he and his entire army have exploded as soon as they came into contact with our "positive" energy universe?

Anyway, if he exploited the Q-bands weakness (inability to affect things outside the EM Spectrum) then he's not all that. But if he muscled through the Q-band constructs of a desperate Quasar, he's a monster.

Stoic

Nope I can't find a citation anywhere that states him as being composed of anti matter. It only says that he is from an anti matter universe. It kind of doesn't make a lot of sense that he would be composed of anti matter once he entered the positive matter universe, because he would technically be in a constant volatile state. Just a guess? I'll take Dmills word for it though, because it's likely that he was written up as such in a canon book. Does it make sense? I got nothing. sad

OneDumbG0
Oh he'd bust his board, hurt him or whatever sure. I dont see him atomizing Magus though. I can see Annihilus atomizing a defenseless Magus who isn't expecting to be attacked. Hell... Annihilus atomized a fighting-mad Quasar. Lord Mar-Vell didn't do that against Wendell at all. Originally posted by dmills
Going all out within the confines of his self imposed limits sure. Utilizing the full power of the Nova force all out? No way. There are several reasons for this, but he never even entertained the notion until issue 25 or so of his series. I'm not sure why you think this, but am happy to hear why.Originally posted by dmills
He was born in the negative zone. That entire universe and everything in it is antimatter. Sometimes it works like that. Most of the time, it doesn't. Nothing on-panel suggested that Annihilus pwned Quasar due to him being from the Negative Zone. All of the Annihilation Wave was from the Negative Zone. Quasar had no issue fighting their fleet prior to dying to Annihilus.

dmills
Then wouldn't he and his entire army have exploded as soon as they came into contact with our "positive" energy universe?

Anyway, if he exploited the Q-bands weakness (inability to affect things outside the EM Spectrum) then he's not all that. But if he muscled through the Q-band constructs of a desperate Quasar, he's a monster.

Nope I can't find a citation anywhere that states him as being composed of anti matter. It only says that he is from an anti matter universe. It kind of doesn't make a lot of sense that he would be composed of anti matter once he entered the positive matter universe, because he would technically be in a constant volatile state. Just a guess? I'll take Dmills word for it though, because it's likely that he was written up as such in a canon book. Does it make sense? I got nothing. sad

That was immediately the question that popped into my mind, but its comics man. You could just as easily ask "well if they're born in the negative zone, and yet aren't antimatter -or whatever- themselves, then why don't they explode in the negative zone?" Idk. Either they themselves are antimatter, or we've got some serious questions to ask on both fronts lol.

I can see Annihilus atomizing a defenseless Magus who isn't expecting to be attacked. Hell... Annihilus atomized a fighting-mad Quasar. Lord Mar-Vell didn't do that against Wendell at all. I'm not sure why you think this, but am happy to hear why. Sometimes it works like that. Most of the time, it doesn't. Nothing on-panel suggested that Annihilus pwned Quasar due to him being from the Negative Zone. All of the Annihilation Wave was from the Negative Zone. Quasar had no issue fighting their fleet prior to dying to Annihilus.

Fair enough. I suppose it depends on how high you place the Magus on the totem pole. What I saw was him display complete subjugation to Mar-vell, and a look of fear when confronted with the question as to why the avatar of death had not yet been located. I think it was clearly intended as showing us "holy shyte, this is a guy that even Adam frickin Magus fears!".

Long story short:

1) The running theme during Annihilation for Rider was fear of losing control and ending up like Garthan Saal. We consistently saw this alluded to throughout the mini, and even in his first little dance with Annihilus himself. He was going to fight,bit it was going to be under control and under his terms.

2) He consistently during DnA's run, with very few exceptions, made it very clear when he was tapping into more Nova Force. Especially for major feats ie; Ego blast, Flying through the Sphinx blasts, the end of TI etc. I suppose its possible that his fight with Annihilus was the exception though. Afterall it was Giffen that wrote that particular fight scene, not Abnett and Lanning.

3) Looking at the baseline of what every full nova force wielder has been able to do -Saal, The Sphinx and even Rider himself- I think its safe to say that had he really been digging that deep that Annihilus would've gotten his wings Clipped pretty quickly. But that me as a fanboy talking. Perhaps they watered down the NF or perhaps Annihilus was really just that powerful.

Yep. That very well could be. The anti matter thing was my take on it, bit its just that, a take.

OneDumbG0
Fair enough. I suppose it depends on how high you place the Magus on the totem pole. What I saw was him display complete subjugation to Mar-vell, and a look of fear when confronted with the question as to why the avatars of death had not yet been located. I think it was clearly intended as showings us "holy shyte, this is a guy that even Adam frickin Magus fears!". Infinity War Magus made a Thanos duplicate his b1tch (a clone that literally matched the true Thanos almost equally in a drawn-out H2H fight). Subsequently, Adam Warlock physically destroyed the crap out of that Magus in an issue of Infinity Watch. Subjugation can imply physical domination but I don't think it definitively proves it. Perhaps Thanos Imperative Magus feared the Many Angled Ones backing Lord Mar-Vell and perhaps the Thanos duplicate feared the CCUs controlled by Magus...

... though I wouldn't mind evidence that Adam Warlock would physically stomp on Thanos. biscuits Originally posted by dmills
or perhaps Annihilus was really just that powerful. I can go with this. excellent

In all seriousness though, everything else you said makes perfect sense.

Stoic
That was immediately the question that popped into my mind, but its comics man. You could just as easily ask "well if they're born in the negative zone, and yet aren't antimatter -or whatever- themselves, then why don't they explode in the negative zone?" Idk. Either they themselves are antimatter, or we've got some serious questions to ask on both fronts lol.

Fair enough. I suppose it depends on how high you place the Magus on the totem pole. What I saw was him display complete subjugation to Mar-vell, and a look of fear when confronted with the question as to why the avatar of death had not yet been located. I think it was clearly intended as showing us "holy shyte, this is a guy that even Adam frickin Magus fears!".

Long story short:

1) The running theme during Annihilation for Rider was fear of losing control and ending up like Garthan Saal. We consistently saw this alluded to throughout the mini, and even in his first little dance with Annihilus himself. He was going to fight,bit it was going to be under control and under his terms.

2) He consistently during DnA's run, with very few exceptions, made it very clear when he was tapping into more Nova Force. Especially for major feats ie; Ego blast, Flying through the Sphinx blasts, the end of TI etc. I suppose its possible that his fight with Annihilus was the exception though. Afterall it was Giffen that wrote that particular fight scene, not Abnett and Lanning.

3) Looking at the baseline of what every full nova force wielder has been able to do -Saal, The Sphinx and even Rider himself- I think its safe to say that had he really been digging that deep that Annihilus would've gotten his wings Clipped pretty quickly. But that me as a fanboy talking. Perhaps they watered down the NF or perhaps Annihilus was really just that powerful.

Yep. That very well could be. The anti matter thing was my take on it, bit its just that, a take.

@ODG You and Dmills made excellent points in both of your posts, but what I am questioning still, and I am truly sorry if I appear to be behind the ball, but can either of you answer this one question. If Lord Mar-Vell prior to facing the Annihilators, got blasted by Galactus even with the Q-Bands on (yep I'm putting him in Anni's shoes), and then had to face the Annihilators, would he have done so well? Before anyone answers, just recall the scope of the blast that Annihilus survived prior to his death.

Mar-Vell was fresh, Anni was spent.

dmills
Infinity War Magus made a Thanos duplicate his b1tch (a clone that literally matched the true Thanos almost equally in a drawn-out H2H fight). Subsequently, Adam Warlock physically destroyed the crap out of that Magus in an issue of Infinity Watch. Subjugation can imply physical domination but I don't think it definitively proves it. Perhaps Thanos Imperative Magus feared the Many Angled Ones backing Lord Mar-Vell and perhaps the Thanos duplicate feared the CCUs controlled by Magus...

... though I wouldn't mind evidence that Adam Warlock would physically stomp on Thanos. biscuits I can go with this. excellent

In all seriousness though, everything else you said makes perfect sense.

Well you'll be waiting on that evidence for a loooong time my friend laughing out loud

Cool beans.

dmills
@ODG You and Dmills made excellent points in both of your posts, but what I am questioning still, and I am truly sorry if I appear to be behind the ball, but can either of you answer this one question. If Lord Mar-Vell prior to facing the Annihilators, got blasted by Galactus even with the Q-Bands on (yep I'm putting him in Anni's shoes), and then had to face the Annihilators, would he have done so well? Before anyone answers, just recall the scope of the blast that Annihilus survived prior to his death.

So basically you're asking what would happen if Mar-vell and Annihilus had switched places, he then takes the Galactus blast, but then instead of only fighting Nova, he fights all of the Annihilators?

zopzop
If Lord Mar-Vell prior to facing the Annihilators, got blasted by Galactus even with the Q-Bands on (yep I'm putting him in Anni's shoes), and then had to face the Annihilators, would he have done so well? Before anyone answers, just recall the scope of the blast that Annihilus survived prior to his death.

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I think Mar-vell would have survived it no problem. The reason being it took an actual abstract , Death, to put him and his masters down. And even then Thanos said they would reform (even though it would take eons). The blast dwarfed Galactus' and instead of wiping a galaxy clean, it swept the Cancervese clean. It was so powerful it even crept into 616 reality and wiped out the Galactus Engine that was pwning a crapload of cosmics (at least 6 Celestials, Galactus, Teneberous, and Aegis).

dmills
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I think Mar-vell would have survived it no problem. The reason being it took an actual abstract , Death, to put him and his masters down. And even then Thanos said they would reform (even though it would take eons). The blast dwarfed Galactus' and instead of wiping a galaxy clean, it swept the Cancervese clean. It was so powerful it even crept into 616 reality and wiped out the Galactus Engine that was pwning a crapload of cosmics (at least 6 Celestials, Galactus, Teneberous, and Aegis).

I love what you just wrote. There's just one tiny problem. How on Earth did Nova, Starlord and Thanos survive a blast like that?

I thought it was more of a symbolic, metaphysical type deal then an actual blast of concussive force and heat etc. Death came to exist in the cancerverse, killed the avatars of the many angled ones -Mar-vell- thus wiping out the magic of the many angled ones or some such.

Stoic
So basically you're asking what would happen if Mar-vell and Annihilus had switched places, he then takes the Galactus blast, but then instead of only fighting Nova, he fights all of the Annihilators?

No. Not fight the Annihilators, but have to fight Nova Prime in a spent condition. I have my doubts that he would have shined as well as he did in a fresh unhurt state.

zopzop
I love what you just wrote. There's just one tiny problem. How on Earth did Nova, Starlord and Thanos survive a blast like that? I thought it was more of a symbolic, metaphysical type deal then an actual blast of concussive force and heat etc. Death came to exist in the cancerverse, killed the avatars of the many angled ones -Mar-vell- thus wiping out the magic of the many angled ones or some such.

She could have protected them? She must have had an insane hatred toward the Many Angled Ones for d|cking her over in that universe. Remember she saved Starfox during the IG affair too. But I don't know smile

You have to remember that the blast was so powerful, even though it originated in another universe, Medusa's lieutenant in 616 reality said the readings were off the scales (didn't he call it "an incoming catastrophic event"?). So it was definitely a "real" blast.

dmills
No. Not fight the Annihilators, but have to fight Nova Prime in a spent condition. I have my doubts that he would have shined as well as he did in a fresh unhurt state.

Hmmm. Yes, because if you remember the denizens of the cancerverse had that insane damage soak and regen capacity which Annihilus didn't have the luxury of. Add to that him being fueled and protected by the Qbands and this could get ugly for Rider pretty quickly. As in I don't think he'd live through it kind of ugly.

dmills
She could have protected them? She must have had an insane hatred toward the Many Angled Ones for d|cking her over in that universe. Remember she saved Starfox during the IG affair too. But I don't know smile

You have to remember that the blast was so powerful, even though it originated in another universe, Medusa's lieutenant in 616 reality said the readings were off the scales (didn't he call it "an incoming catastrophic event"?). So it was definitely a "real" blast.

You're right. Good call.

the ninjak
Actually Annihilus was greater than Nova Prime, and Quasar before he was hurt by Galactus' universe destroying blast. Remember their initial meeting when Anni devoured Quasar, and made Nova retreat?

Yeah but in between those fights Drax taught Nova how to fight.
Taught him Destroyer level fighting skills.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.