Favourite Fighting Game Series?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

majid86
Mine would have to be Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter & King of Fighters.
Especially Mortal Kombat.

Never was a big fan of Dead or Alive

RE: Blaxican
Mortal Kombat is my all-time favorite fighting game series.

Even if the latest one was the most decent one since Deadly Alliance. ermm

Zack Fair
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091026070019/uncyclopedia/images/2/2e/Streetfighteriiturbo21_2.gif

'nuff said.

majid86
I gave up on SF years ago its been milked like hell.
Ive always put MK over SF especially during the 90's.

BTW MK 1995 movie > SF 1994 movie

http://www.realmofgaming.com/images/news/mkcourt.jpg

Zack Fair
Originally posted by majid86
I gave up on SF years ago its been milked like hell.
Ive always put MK over SF especially during the 90's.

BTW MK 1995 movie > SF 1994 movie

http://www.realmofgaming.com/images/news/mkcourt.jpg

SF2 The Animated Movie > Entire MK Franchise.

http://tabmok99.mortalkombatonline.com/chunkick.gif

majid86
As much as i love SF2 Animated Movie, you are way wrong and last time i checked SF characters cant perform fatalities lol.
MK9 was better than SF4 imo and i hope MK10 will be even better than both. As for SF, i would put it above DOA overall.

If Capcom & Midway did make MK vs SF, then SF characters are already dead! MK characters are way more powerfull and cooler.

Zack Fair
As much as i love SF2 Animated Movie, you are way wrong and last time i checked SF characters cant perform fatalities lol.
MK9 was better than SF4 imo and i hope MK10 will be even better than both. As for SF, i would put it above DOA overall.

If Capcom & Midway did make MK vs SF, then SF characters are already dead! MK characters are way more powerfull and cooler.

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/lakersfacepalmp1.gif

Impediment
Tekken, hands down.

Tekken Tag Tournament, Dark Resurrection, and 6 are awesome.

Lei Wu Long is my best character, with Law and Jack second.

Zack Fair
TTT is the best Tekken ever. Tekken 5 and 6 are meh for me.

ArtificialGlory
Fighting games, huh? They all kinda suck ass, but it seems that SF has the best mechanics.

Bro SMASH
Favorite 2D fighting games series: Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter.

Favorite 3D fighting games series: Dead or Alive, Tekken.

majid86
I think that in terms of best game that i enjoyed in each series would be:

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Dreamcast)
Mortal Kombat 2 (Mega Drive/Genesis)
Virtua Fighter 3 (Dreamcast)
KOF 1998 (Arcade)
Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox)
Tekken 3 (PS1)
DOA 3 (Xbox)

But if i had to pick one game then it would be MK2 hands down.

BackFire
Street Fighter.

NemeBro
Be real men and play Guilty Gear maggots.

Ridley_Prime

I did like MK9's gameplay better than SF4's, as it was more fresh, but pretty much everything else you said is biased, wrong, or wank in some way.

And I still think an MK vs SF would somehow find a way to be disappointing like MK vs DC did. MK should just stick to what it does best (the main series games or occasional adventure titles) instead of having more crossovers of any kind, IMO. This year was the best comeback the franchise made in the longest time, and I hope it stays that way in the future, as opposed to going downhill again like it did after MK4, or after Deception.

Originally posted by Bro SMASH
Favorite 2D fighting games series: Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter.

Same here, except I would add Soul Calibur to the 3D's as well.

I love Virtua Fighter and a lot of these other mentioned series too, but prolly haven't played them enough to consider 'em a favorite.

Cyner
Other:

Guilty Gear
Blazblue
Super Smash Bros

Like a bawss

majid86
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I did like MK9's gameplay better than SF4's, as it was more fresh, but pretty much everything else you said is biased, wrong, or wank in some way.

And I still think an MK vs SF would somehow find a way to be disappointing like MK vs DC did. MK should just stick to what it does best (the main series games or occasional adventure titles) instead of having more crossovers of any kind, IMO. This year was the best comeback the franchise made in the longest time, and I hope it stays that way in the future, as opposed to going downhill again like it did after MK4, or after Deception.

Same here, except I would add Soul Calibur to the 3D's as well.

I love Virtua Fighter and a lot of these other mentioned series too, but prolly haven't played them enough to consider 'em a favorite.

Well i maybe was quite a bit biased due to the fact that during the 90's, i switched from SF to MK and probally didn't even play any other SF game apart from SFA3 which i still believe to this day to be the best SF game ever.

As for MK vs SF, well the producer of SF himself has ruled it out all together due his saying that he would'nt like to see Ryu's spine ripped out & Chun Li being beheaded so its not going to happen.

MK should pick up exactly where MK9 left off even though only Raiden, Sonya & Cage were the only ones left alive but im sure the Elder Gods will undue what happened in MK9.
If there is one series that i would want MK to crossover with then that series would have to be Soul Calibur imo.

Im a big fan of VF as well since VF3 but the series has no story for all the characters to follow through which is lame and Sega should seriously change that by the time VF6 comes out next year.

Zack Fair
I can't wait to play MK10's campaign.

majid86
lol
Raiden, Sonya & Cage vs Shinnok & Quan Chi?
Earthrealm is badly screwed but im sure Ed Boon will change that.

Zack Fair
I dunno. Raiden was beastly in MK9. I wonder if we will see a Zombie Kung Lao.

majid86
As much i like Raiden right next to Scorpion & Kung Lao, he will lose against both Shinook & Quan Chi. He lost against both Shang Tsung & Quan Chi but Shinook is like 10 times more powerful than Shang Tsung.

But like i said before that won't happen because Midway will thankfully bring back all the characters from MK 1 to 3. I hope they also create some new characters as well.

Kazenji
What Midway??

they're no longer around.

majid86
Sorry i meant WB

-Pr-
Netherealm games is what they are now, I think.

Anyways, Mortal Kombat is my favourite. Followed by Tekken, SF, and everything else.

stargun
The Marvel vs. Capcom series is my all time favorite amongst fighters to be honest, but out of the games listed in the poll my vote goes to SF.

Bro SMASH
And I still think an MK vs SF would somehow find a way to be disappointing like MK vs DC did. MK should just stick to what it does best (the main series games or occasional adventure titles) instead of having more crossovers of any kind, IMO.

Crossover games will still be fighting games, which is also what the MK series is, so they would be sticking to what they do best. I like MK crossovers anyway. It wouldn't be fair if SF, KOF, and Tekken get crossovers but not MK.

And I find it weird you don't want any kind of MK crossover. Not even a Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct?

As for MK vs SF, well the producer of SF himself has ruled it out all together due his saying that he would'nt like to see Ryu's spine ripped out & Chun Li being beheaded so its not going to happen.

Ono also said that he understands why fans want it to happen. I think it can still happen, as long as they make it like the SF/Tekken crossover games.

Frisky Dingo
Street Fighter's my pick, obviously. But there are quite a few awesome fighters not mentioned in the poll by name.

Shame on you OP! mad

monumani13
My favorite fighting game series is King of Fighters.I like full series of this game.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Frisky Dingo

Shame on you OP! mad

Thats why there's "Other" there nubnuts

my fav's would be Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter

Frisky Dingo
Originally posted by Kazenji
Thats why there's "Other" there nubnuts

LOL
That's why I said.......
But there are quite a few awesome fighters not mentioned in the poll by name .

No End N Site
Street Fighter's my vote, as if it was hard to guess. But I got at least, 10 super close second placers.

Ridley_Prime
As much i like Raiden right next to Scorpion & Kung Lao, he will lose against both Shinook & Quan Chi. He lost against both Shang Tsung & Quan Chi but Shinook is like 10 times more powerful than Shang Tsung.
Only if Shinnok's at full power via the sacred amulet though (the real one). Otherwise, he loses to others like he did to Liu Kang in MK4, the elder Sub-Zero in the Mythologies adventure game, and Johnny Cage prior to Armageddon. Beyond that, I would just hope they make Shinnok more interesting as far as gameplay and not like a Shang Tsung ripoff or anything as he was in MK4.

Crossover games will still be fighting games, which is also what the MK series is, so they would be sticking to what they do best.
I was basically just referring to games in the franchise that were actually canon, as opposed to the non-canon stuff; can't really see MK vs DC as something they did "best at" compared to previous games in the series that were much more successful (both quality-wise and financially).

I like MK crossovers anyway. It wouldn't be fair if SF, KOF, and Tekken get crossovers but not MK.
I used to like MK crossovers in theory more than I do now, but with the kind of taste MK vs DC left in my mouth, I'd likely rather not see another one for quite awhile, if anything.

And I find it weird you don't want any kind of MK crossover. Not even a Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct?
Maybe that, but we both know a crossover of MK and a dead franchise like KI would never happen. I'd be happy enough if they just re-released the first KI in HD or whatever on XBL and PSN.

That Mortal Kombat vs Soul Calibur idea majid mentioned is something part of me wouldn't mind, but most of the weapons the kombatants were shown to have before (at least in the 3D games) weren't that interesting, to be frank. If such a game were to happen though, I'd hope the character customization is on par with that of the SC series and not piss poor like the customizations in MK Armageddon. They kinda had the right idea, but there was still a lot more they could've done with it.

Scythe
Guilty Gear.

Stoic
2D - Street Fighter 2
3D - Battle Arena Toshinden

Bro SMASH
I was basically just referring to games in the franchise that were actually canon, as opposed to the non-canon stuff; can't really see MK vs DC as something they did "best at" compared to previous games in the series that were much more successful (both quality-wise and financially).

MKvsDC was more successful than the previous 3D games so it wasn't that bad.

I used to like MK crossovers in theory more than I do now, but with the kind of taste MK vs DC left in my mouth, I'd likely rather not see another one for quite awhile, if anything.

Another MK crossover likely won't be the same as with DC. All you gotta do is find the good ones that makes sense.

Maybe that, but we both know a crossover of MK and a dead franchise like KI would never happen. I'd be happy enough if they just re-released the first KI in HD or whatever on XBL and PSN.

Well I wasn't really talking about anytime soon but more like soon as KI makes a comeback.

That Mortal Kombat vs Soul Calibur idea majid mentioned is something part of me wouldn't mind, but most of the weapons the kombatants were shown to have before (at least in the 3D games) weren't that interesting, to be frank. If such a game were to happen though, I'd hope the character customization is on par with that of the SC series and not piss poor like the customizations in MK Armageddon. They kinda had the right idea, but there was still a lot more they could've done with it.

I don't see what was so good about the SC customization. Seems like all you do is create clones, as opposed to MKA's, where you can mix up different attacks. I also don't quite get the MKvsSC idea anyway. I mean, a modern times hand-to-hand fighting game series vs. an ancient times weapon-based fighting game series? Not quite a fitting concept, if you ask me.

the ninjak
Street Fighter Alpha series.

Definitely. Screw MVC this game was high speed chess on a more profound scale.

I also enjoyed Street Fighter Vs X-men. But the Alpha series wins for me. The Soul Calibur series is a close 2nd.

Frisky Dingo
Originally posted by No End N Site
But I got at least, 10 super close second placers.

Me too.

1. Vampire, easily. You can't have any of these new Capcom fighters without it and its awesomeness. Next to SF I & II, not a single fighter has been more influential, by any company. That is a FACT.

2. KOF. Play XIII. Cures all doubt about the series.

3. Rival Schools. Quite literally the most entertaining set of traditional fighters anyone can ever play. Those games are a blast and genuinely funny. That's hard for the Japanese to pull off in America back in the 90s.

4. Tekken AND Virtua Fighter. Best 3D Fighters on the planet. I will always love 2D combat more, but games in those series are usually very exciting to play, for me.

5. Guilty Gear and Blazblue. They took what Darkstalkers made and ran with it in its absence. Also adding in much of their own flavor, too. Love those series. Glad before ASW abandoned GG, they at least, put it on current consoles. Looking at you Capcom.

6. Samurai Showdown. Anyone who played the games from that series knows why it's there. Always old school with really awesome characters and moves. Wimps beware.

7. Marvel Vs Capcom and Capcom Vs SNK. MVC is like peanut butter and chocolate and CVS is akin to chicken and waffles. The greatest combinations the genre will ever see.

8. Mortal Kombat. The series has always been fun. Never-ever have I played a legitimate boring MK game.

9. Smash Bros. The exact same reason I have for MK applies here, too.

10. Dead or Alive and Soul Calibur. The games are usually fun and they ALWAYS give tons of reasons to play single player modes. Lots to do in those games.............by yourself.

Ridley_Prime
MKvsDC was more successful than the previous 3D games so it wasn't that bad.
I was referring to like all the previous games, though I guess the 3D ones are somewhat of an exception, not that it takes much for something to be better/more successful than Armageddon. In the end though, Deception was easily the best of the 3D games in the series, IMO.

MKvsDC is easily forgettable and won't stand the test of time, and will only be remembered by most for being one of the low points of the series, like with Armageddon. Thank goodness for MK9.

Another MK crossover likely won't be the same as with DC. All you gotta do is find the good ones that makes sense.
As long as they make much more sense than DC, I guess that's fine.

Well I wasn't really talking about anytime soon but more like soon as KI makes a comeback.
Still hoping it does, even if it's just re-releases of the two games. I know I can't be the only one whose tired of Rare constantly teasing fans about a KI3 that has never happened.

I don't see what was so good about the SC customization. Seems like all you do is create clones, as opposed to MKA's, where you can mix up different attacks.
Clones that are able to have much better stats and extra abilities than the original characters. erm The variation of different costumes/appearances and weapons you can have is what SC's customization excels most at though, over MKA's.

Being able to mix up different attacks from different characters in the game was insanely broken (the way it was executed in Armageddon at least). I wouldn't want to see that in another MK game that has online, as I'd be fighting nothing but Gary Stus that have Scorpion's spear and other commonly spammed moves.

I also don't quite get the MKvsSC idea anyway. I mean, a modern times hand-to-hand fighting game series vs. an ancient times weapon-based fighting game series? Not quite a fitting concept, if you ask me.
What would you prefer then? Don't say another MKvsDC. >: And yeah, not the most fitting concept, but I just kinda liked the idea in theory when it was mentioned a couple times before.

Originally posted by the ninjak
Street Fighter Alpha series.

Definitely. Screw MVC this game was high speed chess on a more profound scale.

I also enjoyed Street Fighter Vs X-men. But the Alpha series wins for me. The Soul Calibur series is a close 2nd.
I knew I couldn't be the only one who preferred the Alpha series over MvsC. mmm

Bro SMASH
Clones that are able to have much better stats and extra abilities than the original characters. erm The variation of different costumes/appearances and weapons you can have is what SC's customization excels most at though, over MKA's.

Having better stats wouldn't make them less of a clone. And what extra abilities you're referring to?

Being able to mix up different attacks from different characters in the game was insanely broken (the way it was executed in Armageddon at least). I wouldn't want to see that in another MK game that has online, as I'd be fighting nothing but Gary Stus that have Scorpion's spear and other commonly spammed moves.

I still would prefer that over clones. I remember in SC3, you couldn't even change your character's built.

What would you prefer then? Don't say another MKvsDC. >: And yeah, not the most fitting concept, but I just kinda liked the idea in theory when it was mentioned a couple times before.

Now you know that I liked MKvsDC so yeah, I would prefer that. Of course, there's also MKvsSF and MKvsKI.

I pick my crossovers carefully so when I think of a MK crossover, I look at stuff beyond just the violence.

No End N Site
Me too.

1. Vampire, easily. You can't have any of these new Capcom fighters without it and its awesomeness. Next to SF I & II, not a single fighter has been more influential, by any company. That is a FACT.

2. KOF. Play XIII. Cures all doubt about the series.

3. Rival Schools. Quite literally the most entertaining set of traditional fighters anyone can ever play. Those games are a blast and genuinely funny. That's hard for the Japanese to pull off in America back in the 90s.

4. Tekken AND Virtua Fighter. Best 3D Fighters on the planet. I will always love 2D combat more, but games in those series are usually very exciting to play, for me.

5. Guilty Gear and Blazblue. They took what Darkstalkers made and ran with it in its absence. Also adding in much of their own flavor, too. Love those series. Glad before ASW abandoned GG, they at least, put it on current consoles. Looking at you Capcom.

6. Samurai Showdown. Anyone who played the games from that series knows why it's there. Always old school with really awesome characters and moves. Wimps beware.

7. Marvel Vs Capcom and Capcom Vs SNK. MVC is like peanut butter and chocolate and CVS is akin to chicken and waffles. The greatest combinations the genre will ever see.

8. Mortal Kombat. The series has always been fun. Never-ever have I played a legitimate boring MK game.

9. Smash Bros. The exact same reason I have for MK applies here, too.

10. Dead or Alive and Soul Calibur. The games are usually fun and they ALWAYS give tons of reasons to play single player modes. Lots to do in those games.............by yourself.
A pretty agreeable list. I'd have a much different order, tho. Startin with number 3.

Bro SMASH
Favorite 2D fighting games series: Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros.

I should have added that the first time.

Ridley_Prime
Having better stats wouldn't make them less of a clone. And what extra abilities you're referring to?
HP drain, anti ring out, and all that.

I still would prefer that over clones. I remember in SC3, you couldn't even change your character's built.
Well you could in SCIV, and I'm sure SCV will have even better customizations in all aspects. They'll have to make quite a step above MKA's customizations for me to want them to have such a mode in an MK game ever again. I'd rather fight a stylish clone of some kind online than a created character that has a mixture of stolen moves from a bunch of other fighters into one.

I pick my crossovers carefully so when I think of a MK crossover, I look at stuff beyond just the violence.
As do I. SC isn't exactly on MK's level of violence or anything on that note, especially when you compare like the critical finishes to fatalities. lol

I should have added that the first time.
I guess that's a series I would include as well, barring Brawl.

Lord Shadow Z
Streetfighter (but not so much when the moves became a large mass of directional commands) gets my vote, with Tekken then Soulblade/Calibur.

I never really was any good at Mortal Kombat, I always found the fighting system awkward- I just liked doing the fatalities.

Bro SMASH
HP drain, anti ring out, and all that.

That's not saying much about their moveset. They're still clones.

Well you could in SCIV, and I'm sure SCV will have even better customizations in all aspects. They'll have to make quite a step above MKA's customizations for me to want them to have such a mode in an MK game ever again. I'd rather fight a stylish clone of some kind online than a created character that has a mixture of stolen moves from a bunch of other fighters into one.

Stolen moves? Then why play as a clone? They got a stolen moveset.

As do I. SC isn't exactly on MK's level of violence or anything on that note, especially when you compare like the critical finishes to fatalities. lol

Though I do sort of a like how both featured the same guest character Kratos.

I guess that's a series I would include as well, barring Brawl.

At least it's considered a fighting game around here (I hope).

Ridley_Prime
Stolen moves? Then why play as a clone? They got a stolen moveset.
At least with a clone that focuses on just one borrowed moveset, you're prevented from having some totally uber character that's got moves taken from a bunch of other fighters, which again I would not want to see when it comes to online, with the amount of imbalance it would lead to. Even Ed Boon has acknowledged the balance issues such customizations can create, which was probably why they ditched the whole Kreate-a-Fighter thing after Armageddon.

At least it's considered a fighting game around here (I hope).
More often than not it's considered a party series with some fighting elements, which I think nails it best.

Stoic
Def Jams fight for NY was my all time favorite fighting game, and they should make other fighting games with this type of engine.

1. Def Jams Fight for NY
2. Street Fighter 3
3 Battle Arena Toshinden
4. Soul Caliber iv
5. Fight Night iv

StyleTime
Originally posted by Stoic
3 Battle Arena Toshinden

Hell yes. That game was so awesome.

Aurora Revolution!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.