So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Benicio Del Toro was approached but rejected it, so apparently British actor Benedict Cumberbatch is believed to be playing the villain.

This role should have gone to Javiar Bardem. Khan-nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! I say.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Robtard
Benicio Del Toro was approached but rejected it, so apparently British actor Benedict Cumberbatch is believed to be playing the villain.

This role should have gone to Javiar Bardem. Khan-nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! I say.

Del Toro is probably sick of being villains, and Bardem has been avoiding them since his Chigurh role.

Cumberbatch?

Seriously?

I can't imagine him being scary, weird maybe but not scary. Bringing Khan into this new franchise is just saying 'we have no fresh ideas' and that's what this remake is all supposed to be built on. The other films and the many tv episodes have covered basically everything.

Robtard
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Del Toro is probably sick of being villains, and Bardem has been avoiding them since his Chigurh role.

Cumberbatch?

Seriously?

I can't imagine him being scary, weird maybe but not scary. Bringing Khan into this new franchise is just saying 'we have no fresh ideas' and that's what this remake is all supposed to be built on. The other films and the many tv episodes have covered basically everything.

I'm actually very happy they're using Khan, as this is an alternate timeline and they're free to change the story.

The only thing they need to stick with since it would have been pre time-lime crossover would be Khan and his crew in hyper-sleep aboard the Botany Bay drifting in space and Khan being a power-hungry genius megalomaniac.

They could have a Klingon (or other race) ship find him instead of the Enterprise, or have him wake-up due to some other event etc. Many possibilities to go a completely new direction.

But yeah, dude just doesn't shout out as being Khan:

http://images.hollywood.com/site/Benedict-Cumberbatch.jpg

Lord Shadow Z
I'm actually very happy they're using Khan, as this is an alternate timeline and they're free to change the story.

The only thing they need to stick with since it would have been pre time-lime crossover would be Khan and his crew in hyper-sleep aboard the Botany Bay drifting in space and Khan being a power-hungry genius megalomaniac.

They could have a Klingon (or other race) ship find him instead of the Enterprise, or have him wake-up due to some other event etc. Many possibilities to go a completely new direction.

But yeah, dude just doesn't shout out as being Khan:

http://images.hollywood.com/site/Benedict-Cumberbatch.jpg

Of course, there's other ways of getting Khan in the story but the tension and expectancy in WOK was brought about by Khan being personally linked with Kirk and their history together. He may just be 'another villain' and no more than that. Or this is the first meeting between the two and it's just setting it up for a future revenge film.

The gaffe in WOK was hilarious though, where he 'remembers' Chekov.

Robtard
I'd expect they could fit the meeting, betrayal and revenge plots all into this one film(should they go that path again) and not have Khan coming back in a JJ Star Trek 3 or 4 or other.

Who knows, they could start it off with the meeting of the two chars, have Khan try his tomfoolery, Kirk bests him and then they FFW 'X' amount of years in the film and we have a grunge-holding butt-hurt Khan seeking vengeance.

I'd personally prefer a different story and not a new paint-job of the original though.

Sadako of Girth
Holy shit they better make that guy over.
He must have been picked for acting chops or something....
Kinda disappointed that Bardem didn't get it though.

Robtard
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Holy shit they better make that guy over.
He must have been picked for acting chops or something....
Kinda disappointed that Bardem didn't get it though.

Yeah, massive make-up, dude better start working-out now.

I have no idea if Bardem was ever approached, he just fits the role very well in both looks and acting capabilities. Would have been my first choice.

Sadako of Girth
Yeah I think it was you who mentioned that before...stuck in my mind as a winner, I guess.

Lord Shadow Z
I'd expect they could fit the meeting, betrayal and revenge plots all into this one film(should they go that path again) and not have Khan coming back in a JJ Star Trek 3 or 4 or other.

Who knows, they could start it off with the meeting of the two chars, have Khan try his tomfoolery, Kirk bests him and then they FFW 'X' amount of years in the film and we have a grunge-holding butt-hurt Khan seeking vengeance.

I'd personally prefer a different story and not a new paint-job of the original though.

Yeah, and whats more I think it's clear with the casting of Cumberbatch that they are going for a more cerebal character and not a 'physical adversary. The guy has played Sherlock Holmes and did a portrayal of Stephen Hawking so I think this confirms this. I can't imagine him being a 'physical' enemy although saying that Montalban wasn't either so...

roughrider
The Khan rumours have been around, but even with this casting I have heard denials this will be about Khan, and instead someone new. Link?

Robtard
Originally posted by roughrider
The Khan rumours have been around, but even with this casting I have heard denials this will be about Khan, and instead someone new. Link?

This is one of many hits:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/04/exclusive-sherlock-star-benedict-cumberbatch-cast-in-major-star-trek-sequel-role/

CadoAngelus
The article doesn't mention anything about "Sherlock" being cast as Khan. It just says "bad-guy". And even IMDB only has his casting as rumored.

I do however think he is Villian material. He's British (always a good thing), and he has a Nazi-esk appearance here:
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU5MDkwNDg3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjI5NTIxNw@@._V1._SY314_CR8,0,214,314_.jpg

darthmaul1

The gaffe in WOK was hilarious though, where he 'remembers' Chekov.

There was an alternate take done of that scene where Khan says
"Ohhh i never forget a face that runs by me in the hall, Mr......Checkov, isn't it?"
LOL

i find it funny when they entered the system to go to ceti alpha 6, that their scensors didn't notice that a planet was missing?

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by darthmaul1
There was an alternate take done of that scene where Khan says
"Ohhh i never forget a face that runs by me in the hall, Mr......Checkov, isn't it?"
LOL

i find it funny when they entered the system to go to ceti alpha 6, that their scensors didn't notice that a planet was missing?

big grin

Yeah, it's an interesting one because he could have seen Chekov as just a random crewman, or even on some computer file when he took over the ship but the delivery of the line was as if he'd met him and they knew each other. Even Chekov's quotes towards Khan suggest that he knew OF Khan and the incident with Kirk rather than actually having been there.

He was probably the only character available to find Khan because it really couldn't have been Scotty, Sulu or Uhura and definitely not Spock or McCoy who were needed on the Enterprise. I tend to think the introduction of Saavik shunted Chekov of the team a little so it was a case of 'tag, you're it, even if it doesn't make sense!'

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
I do however think he is Villian material. He's British (always a good thing),

Grr...

big grin

darthmaul1
big grin

Yeah, it's an interesting one because he could have seen Chekov as just a random crewman, or even on some computer file when he took over the ship but the delivery of the line was as if he'd met him and they knew each other. Even Chekov's quotes towards Khan suggest that he knew OF Khan and the incident with Kirk rather than actually having been there.

He was probably the only character available to find Khan because it really couldn't have been Scotty, Sulu or Uhura and definitely not Spock or McCoy who were needed on the Enterprise. I tend to think the introduction of Saavik shunted Chekov of the team a little so it was a case of 'tag, you're it, even if it doesn't make sense!'

That's the thing though they could of got Sulu i guess, he's been on plenty of away missions.
but it's not as bad as the next generation (insurection) where Worf just shows up out of no where and they start to explain why he is there then they quickly pan off screen and let the conversation trickle away so there is no explanation as to why he is there. that was a big WTF for me in the theater.

darthmaul1

I do however think he is Villian material. He's British (always a good thing)

Agreed, many movies have benifitted from having british or non american actors.

Batman, Thor, the lord of the rings, (maybe the amazing spiderman?) to name a few

rudester
khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!...lol

BruceSkywalker
i am not so sure if this person is INDEED Khan...

2 pics have been released..

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/star-trek-sequel-2013-first-look-benedict-cumberbatch-set-images-and-scene-details-spoilers

Badabing
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/first-set-photos-star-trek-sequel-222928738.html

-Pr-
Can't wait.

Lord Shadow Z
That's the thing though they could of got Sulu i guess, he's been on plenty of away missions.
but it's not as bad as the next generation (insurection) where Worf just shows up out of no where and they start to explain why he is there then they quickly pan off screen and let the conversation trickle away so there is no explanation as to why he is there. that was a big WTF for me in the theater.

Hmm... maybe Sulu would have worked but I think he has more to him than Chekov; and at that stage would have looked weird being on another ship's away mission.

I haven't seen Insurrection (or more aptly named 'Data 3' due to the fact that every Next Generation movie is about him big grin ) in a long while so I'll have to take your word for it, I think he ws introduced in 'First Contact' well; maybe he should have stayed on the Enterprise after that and been involved from the off. On the subject of Worf I think he should have his own movie, kicking *ss in the Defiant.

Robtard
Newest info is now saying he's not Khan, but still the villain.

The photo of him gorilla-gripping Spock still makes me wonder, as no normal human could do that to Spock. So maybe they're working in the Eugenics Program that spawned Khan in some fashion, without using Khan.

Sadako of Girth
So they Khant do it?

BruceSkywalker
Newest info is now saying he's not Khan, but still the villain.

The photo of him gorilla-gripping Spock still makes me wonder, as no normal human could do that to Spock. So maybe they're working in the Eugenics Program that spawned Khan in some fashion, without using Khan.

that could work

So they Khant do it?

lol

Robtard
So they Khant do it?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-58Nr0oGiq_s/TYvIcziQkwI/AAAAAAAABHw/W1l8N1rS_XI/s400/khan.jpg

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

DARTH POWER

That whole movie was a big WTF for me!

CadoAngelus
So they Khant do it?
Clever... stick out tongue
http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200508/mov-002-khan02/320x240.jpg

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

Lord Shadow Z
Clever... stick out tongue
http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200508/mov-002-khan02/320x240.jpg

Khan: 'This finger will cause your eventual downfall Kirk'

Sadako of Girth
http://startrekusa.us/images/katra_transfer.jpg
"Remember this finger in your nostril..."

CadoAngelus
http://startrekusa.us/images/katra_transfer.jpg
"Remember this finger in your nostril..."

Extreme Vulcan nasal therapy

Robtard
Khan-nnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is back on! Though he was never gone, was just another clever ruse by JJ.

I found this picture to be most disturbing, most disturbing indeed: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/108/amontalban.jpg

Sadako of Girth
I knew it was wrong to give up hope. smile

Robtard
Oh **** me sideways, now it's not Khan insist Simon Pegg.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/05/30/khan-isnt-star-trek-2-villain-co-star-simon-pegg-insists/

Pegg plays a Scotsman though; Scotsmen are know liars.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.