The Grey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Has anybody seen this yet?? I want to see it at some point... just to see Liam Neeson being a badass. It's gotten pretty good reviews (79% so far).

VRWF4cepn8U

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, i saw this the other day. It's a damn decent survival movie. I wouldn't say it is as gripping as i was expecting but the characters, dialogue and action sequences will keep you intrigued for sure. I just didn't feel that the ending offered much resolve for the main character. Definitely worth a watch. I'd give it a 7/10

Kazenji
Can't see it yet damn different release dates.

Mr Parker
this one I think i will wait till it comes out on cable to see.

Robtard
Meh, Anthony Hopkins did it with a bear.

srankmissingnin
Wow, just wow. This is a great movie. I thought it was just going to be a fun popcorn film with Liam Neeson killing dozens of wolves - which I would have been happy with - but the film is SO much more. A very philosophical man vs nature story that is really about men coming to terms with how they lived, and ultimately choosing how they die. It's even more amazing that his is written and direct by the guy who did the A Team and Smoking Aces.

That said the movie has a real indie mentality, if you are going to movie to see Liam Neeson murder wolves, you might be disappointed. It's more Hemming Way than Predators. There were a lot of people in my theater who were very vocal with their dislike of the ending, but I thought it was perfect and largely assume those are the people who show up to see Fast and the Furious on opening night. When you watch the movie, watch the movie you are seeing, not the movie you were expecting.

Robtard
hmmm, your commentary has somewhat swayed me.

dadudemon
I will view this film if Robtard views it first and tells me it is safe. no expression

wakkawakkawakka
Fighting wolves...sounds kind of manly I suppose. no expression

Patient_Leech
Perhaps the great and powerful Robtard should pay attention to the consensus from Rotten Tomatoes that I posted in the first post of the thread, because srank simply confirmed it.

Esau Cairn
Kinda got me thinking...what if Neeson was casted as Wolverine?

Kazenji
Old Man logan.

Kazenji
Just read Joe Carnahan is planning on remaking Death Wish, But instead of just remaking the franchise which starred Charles Bronsan he's gonna to us the novel more.

jaden101
This film could've ended after the 1st wolf attack because it just repeated the exact same scene until most of the people were dead.

Horrendously boring and filled to the brim with an unbelievable amount of CIS and PIS that you simply cannot overlook how glaringly bad it is.

It repeats the same loud noise scare tactic about a million times in the movie...Almost always preceded by an artificially stupid mute scene that last about 5 seconds...Or a flash back to him lying in bed with his wife that is shown about 20 times where she says "don't be afraid"...then BOOOM....Big noise.

The special effects are dire and you know how bad when the film "Alive" had a much more tense and griping and realistic crash scene than this did and that was made 19 years ago.

Avoid like the plague...Absolutely shite film.

BuntyBubly
I saw this movie and i enjoyed it. I think you guys should watch this movie. This is movie is full with Action and Adventure.

General G
Originally posted by jaden101
This film could've ended after the 1st wolf attack because it just repeated the exact same scene until most of the people were dead.

Horrendously boring and filled to the brim with an unbelievable amount of CIS and PIS that you simply cannot overlook how glaringly bad it is.

It repeats the same loud noise scare tactic about a million times in the movie...Almost always preceded by an artificially stupid mute scene that last about 5 seconds...Or a flash back to him lying in bed with his wife that is shown about 20 times where she says "don't be afraid"...then BOOOM....Big noise.

The special effects are dire and you know how bad when the film "Alive" had a much more tense and griping and realistic crash scene than this did and that was made 19 years ago.

Avoid like the plague...Absolutely shite film.

I can honestly only assume that this is a complete joke of a "review". This isn't even an opinion I'm offended by, it's just factually wrong in almost every way, meaning I feel as though I can safely assume you didn't even watch the movie.

megaduu
Agree with abovehttp://www.kread.info/g.gif

jinXed by JaNx
either that or he has the worst taste in movies

jaden101
Originally posted by General G
I can honestly only assume that this is a complete joke of a "review". This isn't even an opinion I'm offended by, it's just factually wrong in almost every way, meaning I feel as though I can safely assume you didn't even watch the movie.

think whatever you like. I'm right and you're wrong. shit, boring movie, get over it.

Robtard
Tried watching it last Sunday after The Walking Dead; I couldn't get past 30mins or so, when the uber-wolf stared down Liam Neeson, I called it quits.

jaden101
I guess I'm going to have to elaborate on the huge amounts of mental retardation this film was filled with.

1st we have the whiney suicidal 50 year emo who we seem be to getting led to believe throughout the film that he got chucked by his wife for an unknown reason and so sulked off to the arse end of the world. we're then told at the end of the film that she didn't chuck him but in fact died. this facet of his almost non existent personality is only ever brought up when one of his unlucky cohorts asks where he went to when he left the bar. As if posing the question that if he is suicidal then why should he be trusted to be responsible for everyone else's lives if he doesn't care about his own. This plot point then goes unanswered because 1: it's brought up too late in the story and 2: It doesn't seem to matter what he does or doesn't do to save everyone cos they all end up dead anway.

What's more annoying is that the protagonist could've been a very interesting character but rather than spending time exploring his personality, we're instead fobbed off with pointless philosophising in the form of his letter to his wife and his bad poetry.

So moving on from the non existent characterization what else is wrong with the movie.

Well, the aforementioned PIS and CIS.

Lets take the fact that it's blatantly stated that they need to reach the woods before nightfall and then they all decide to stand around saying 'words' about the dead because the weakest member says so. No reiterating the point about having to get a move on or be eaten by ravenous beasts. And low and behold what happens? On the way to the woods one of them gets eaten by ravenous beasts.

Then on to the completely unexplained guy who simply decides he can't be arsed anymore so sits on a log and waits to die while the other 2 walk off. the explanation given? That his life is that bad back home that seeing a lovely view of some trees and mountains for 5 minutes before being gored to death by wolves is apparently a better option than being alive.

Then there's the laws of physics defying drowning. The man is floating down stream feet 1st yet somehow still manages to bend his foot backward enough to slide between 2 rocks that he can't get it out from again? I'm almost entirely certain that the foot would be a lot easier to pull out than it war to put in.

There was about 50 more chin scratching moments of sheer bewilderment that happened in movie, mostly borne out of exceptional stupidity by the characters. One being the 1st lookout to get chomped. 'I'll go over hear out of the safety of the light to take a piss cos I'm embarrassed by my tiny cock despite the fact that everyone else is asleep anyway' BANG. I mean, you can forgive that level of CIS in an 80's b-movie horror but in a supposedly serious modern adult thriller?

I could go on and on if this was the day after seeing the movie as i remember there being a million examples like the above but it's now a couple of weeks since I seen it and all that remains is the recollection that it was a massive steaming pile of dung. The only redeeming bit being the guy imagining his daughter's hair tickling him rather than what was actually happening, namely, a huge wolf eating his throat out. That shit war proper laugh out loud hilarious and reminds me of a sketch from Frankie Boyle's tramadol nights where the guy imagines he's in a high class men's club trying expensive cigars with his friend when he's actually down a dirty alleyway sucking on 2 black guys cocks for drug money.

which incidentally brings up another point. Were those the same wolves? did they have jet backpacks like Lex Luthor in Superman 3 to get down those sheer cliff faces? Did they run along the cliffs until they found a way down then made a bee line right to where the guys were? What was up with that? SUPER MAGIC WOLVES!

Anyway, shit film. offended yet? No? Well then you're a ****! Hope that does the trick.

Hermoine02
One of the best movie
I love this movie.

Patient_Leech
This movie was excellent..

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Wow, just wow. This is a great movie. I thought it was just going to be a fun popcorn film with Liam Neeson killing dozens of wolves - which I would have been happy with - but the film is SO much more. A very philosophical man vs nature story that is really about men coming to terms with how they lived, and ultimately choosing how they die. It's even more amazing that his is written and direct by the guy who did the A Team and Smoking Aces.

That said the movie has a real indie mentality, if you are going to movie to see Liam Neeson murder wolves, you might be disappointed. It's more Hemming Way than Predators. There were a lot of people in my theater who were very vocal with their dislike of the ending, but I thought it was perfect and largely assume those are the people who show up to see Fast and the Furious on opening night. When you watch the movie, watch the movie you are seeing, not the movie you were expecting.

Well put. It wasn't what I was expecting either, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Lets take the fact that it's blatantly stated that they need to reach the woods before nightfall and then they all decide to stand around saying 'words' about the dead because the weakest member says so. No reiterating the point about having to get a move on or be eaten by ravenous beasts. And low and behold what happens? On the way to the woods one of them gets eaten by ravenous beasts.

You sound more than a little overly critical of an excellent film. Sounds like it went over your head. You must have dosed off when one of the guys was bitching about them needing to go while everyone was wasting time gathering wallets. Gathering wallets would take a lot more time than the few short sentences that the man said about the dead. It wasn't an element lost on the writers as you seem to suggest.

Patient_Leech
This film really sticks with you, long after it's over. Oh, and something else that makes this film way better than I was expecting is its surprisingly good sense of humor. I laughed pretty hard. And it was balanced very well with the tension. Quadruple thumbs up...

thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

I enjoyed this woman's review...

Apparently Liam Neeson's wife died in a freak skiing accident, which makes his performance in this all the more moving.

(I may have to see Smokin' Aces now... this seems like a pretty competent director)

jaden101
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

You sound more than a little overly critical of an excellent film. Sounds like it went over your head. You must have dosed off when one of the guys was bitching about them needing to go while everyone was wasting time gathering wallets. Gathering wallets would take a lot more time than the few short sentences that the man said about the dead. It wasn't an element lost on the writers as you seem to suggest.

No. it didn't go over my head because there's nothing TO go over my head. Thinking this was some deep and profound film is the same as thinking that people who put obscure song lyrics on their Facebook pages are genius philosophers. It was filled with poor acting, poor CGI, poor cinematography, poor plotting and poor pacing.

Robtard
This movie was excellent..

Come on.

RE: Blaxican
It's Leech. Immortals was a fantastic movie to him, remember?

Patient_Leech
No. it didn't go over my head because there's nothing TO go over my head. Thinking this was some deep and profound film is the same as thinking that people who put obscure song lyrics on their Facebook pages are genius philosophers. It was filled with poor acting, poor CGI, poor cinematography, poor plotting and poor pacing.

I didn't find any of those things to be poorly done (shit, for bad CGI wolves see Twilight). And no, you clearly did not get it... you're apparently not into deeper meanings. I'm not much into poetry myself, but this movie was a beautifully illustrated portrayal of how one should die. When one should keep fighting and when one should go out with equanimity. That's a theme that I've not really seen too clearly in a movie before. And the scene with Liam Neeson crying to the heavens for "God" to do something and he'll believe in Him forever... "God" does nothing, but Liam Neeson realizes more profoundly that it's up to him to fix his circumstances. Pretty profound. So no, I would say you didn't get it. I think this movie was more about the characters' inner trials rather than what was literally going on, and that elevates it to a piece of literature rather than what would otherwise be an ordinary B-movie.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
It's Leech. Immortals was a fantastic movie to him, remember?

Good job. You proud of yourself? Anybody who admires Michael Bay films doesn't need to be hopping aboard their high horse. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Robtard
Good job. You proud of yourself? Anybody who admires Michael Bay films doesn't need to be hopping aboard their high horse. roll eyes (sarcastic)

But you can see a difference between saying "Transformers was an enjoyable/fun popcorn flick" and saying "Transformers was excellent" and then going on to quantify that by trying to pass it off as some avant garde work in cinema.

jaden101
I didn't find any of those things to be poorly done (shit, for bad CGI wolves see Twilight). And no, you clearly did not get it... you're apparently not into deeper meanings. I'm not much into poetry myself, but this movie was a beautifully illustrated portrayal of how one should die. When one should keep fighting and when one should go out with equanimity. That's a theme that I've not really seen too clearly in a movie before. And the scene with Liam Neeson crying to the heavens for "God" to do something and he'll believe in Him forever... "God" does nothing, but Liam Neeson realizes more profoundly that it's up to him to fix his circumstances. Pretty profound. So no, I would say you didn't get it. I think this movie was more about the characters' inner trials rather than what was literally going on, and that elevates it to a piece of literature rather than what would otherwise be an ordinary B-movie.

See Twilight? No thanks.

As for the rest. you're just simply wrong. this film is only deep to those who aren't. Funny you would argue that the film is more about characterization than surface action when it utterly fails in making you care about anyone except the guy near the beginning who is told to accept that he's going to die.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
But you can see a difference between saying "Transformers was an enjoyable/fun popcorn flick" and saying "Transformers was excellent" and then going on to quantify that by trying to pass it off as some avant garde work in cinema.

Neither Immortals nor The Grey are avant garde. I've said no such thing. I did however say that they are meaningful. And to me that is good. It matters more than superficial criticisms.

Robtard
Neither Immortals nor The Grey are avant garde. I've said no such thing. I did however say that they are meaningful. And to me that is good. It matters more than superficial criticisms.

Your post 4 spaces or so up seemed like it.

We just seem to have very opposing views of what "excellent" films are.

Patient_Leech
Your post 4 spaces or so up seemed like it.

Then quote it, smart one. I can't read your mind. But...

"Meaning" or "Significance" =/= "Avant Garde," "Unorthodox," or "Radical."

Two different concepts. To make an analogy to illustrate, I would say...

Tarsem Singh : meaning :: Lars Von Trier : avant garde

Robtard
Then quote it, smart one. I can't read your mind. But...

"Meaning" or "Significance" =/= "Avant Garde," "Unorthodox," or "Radical."

Two different concepts. To make an analogy to illustrate, I would say...

Tarsem Singh : meaning :: Lars Von Trier : avant garde

I said avant garde not in the literal sense , but to be nice; instead of saying what I thought: "masturbating the film to something superb and deep, when it was neither."

Happy, guy?

Patient_Leech
Happy, guy?

Yeah, this would be a much happier place if you'd learn to communicate effectively. I'm not gonna hold my breath, though.

Robtard
Yeah, this would be a much happier place if you'd learn to communicate effectively. I'm not gonna hold my breath, though.

Someone's mad cos someone else doesn't think another shitty movie is "excellent". Same thing happened with Immortals, film sucked and you took it personal that I didn't go balls deep for it.

Patient_Leech
Keep tellin' yourself that. wink

Robtard
Keep tellin' yourself that. wink

I don't have to, I can go to the Immortals' thread and relive your ranting lunacy cos I didn't like the film, if I need another laugh.

ravidhir
yes, i have already see that..
that's pretty movie..gray

Manchub
I loved The Grey...

like someone mentioned before, it really sticks with you. it's one of the better movies I've seen this year. my favorite part of the movie was the music, especially using some pieces from Jamin Winans' Ink, an incredibly underrated and rarely seen movie.

Patient_Leech
This hit Blu-ray/DVD today here in the States: High-Def Digest

salina33
really good movie to watch

maheshbalan
its a watchfull movie ..but don't expect too much from this movie

manikunis
This movie is very adventurous and teach us not to take your foot back in our life.always keep on struggling.

Mindset
Didn't like it.

juggerman
I did enjoy this movie for what it was but i think it could have been better.

i completely agree about the massive PIS and CIS in the film. The whole time i wanted to yell at these morons but i honestly felt that people might in fact act like this and it wasn't completely off the wall stupidity.

Like stupid guy #1 who took a piss like a mile away from any help then didn't even call out or anything. Massively stupid but he didn't see any wolves so he may have felt safe enough at the moment. Stupid move but not out of the realm.

Or when the GODDAMN giant ass Alpha came a-strolling right into their camp and NOBODY TRIED TO KILL IT! NOBODY! Stupid but fear is a powerful thing.

And the crippled guy stopped to smell the damn roses and seemingly allowed himself to be killed. DUMMY! I understand he was just slowing everyone down and im sure he was in alot of pain trying to walk and just wanted it to end and have peace. But atleast he could have tried to buy the other two a little more time. He could have gone in a different direction to confuse, split up, or even get the pack to solely go after him. And he could have atleast put up a fight to buy a few moments more.

They were clearly capable of killing some of the wolves but rarely ever tried. I did enjoy the movie but i really think i would have done some things differently. Tho honestly being terrified for your life makes you act differently than you may think so i do think it was pretty realistic

Patient_Leech
Purchased the blu-ray and watched this again. Very, very good..

http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/liam-neeson-the-grey-oscar-run.jpg

http://madmikesamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Liam-Neeson-in-The-Grey-2012-Movie-Image4.jpg

Tzeentch._
The pictures weren't necessary. I'm pretty sure we all know what Liam Neeson looks like, my good sir.

Patient_Leech
no expression

Kazenji
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
The pictures weren't necessary. I'm pretty sure we all know what Liam Neeson looks like, my good sir.

Who nominated you as a mod?

Patient_Leech
The way I see it, since film is KIND OF a visual medium, I think peeps should post more images.

Mindset
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
The pictures weren't necessary. I'm pretty sure we all know what Liam Neeson looks like, my good sir. lol

Estacado
Movie started out good but sucked balls in the end....

mattdamon154
I saw this movie neeson is fantastic...watching this movie in a opening night is worth.....

HostingRaja - Leads the Indian market For its Cheapest Hosting Services (Rs 99/-)
Find us - Hosting Raja

Placidity
Originally posted by Estacado
Movie started out good but sucked balls in the end....

this.

I liked how he tried to do a Wolverine though.

If only Napoleon Dynamite was there with his 12 gauge.

Placidity
Originally posted by mattdamon154
I saw this movie neeson is fantastic...watching this movie in a opening night is worth.....

HostingRaja - Leads the Indian market For its Cheapest Hosting Services (Rs 99/-)
Find us - Hosting Raja

You're not the real matt damon.

Mindship
I liked "The Grey." Sure, it had some plot holes/PIS, whatever, but overall it was quite entertaining. I especially liked the end: not the usual "hero makes it out" sunshine ending. I found myself thinking, I hope LN at least took out the alpha before he became wolf kibble.

Between this flick and "Frozen," who needs werewolves.

Placidity
Um I dunno if u stayed for the ending after the credits, but Qui Gon turned into a werewolf.

Mindship
Originally posted by Placidity
Um I dunno if u stayed for the ending after the credits, but Qui Gon turned into a werewolf. Once more into the Force.
Into the last good fight I'll know.
Live and die with no remorse.
Live and die with no remorse.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Placidity
Um I dunno if u stayed for the ending after the credits, but Qui Gon turned into a werewolf.

The alternate ending has the wolf turn into Liam Neeson. confused

Rocketrobo
I was amazed by the exciting fight scenes.

Insomniatric
Loved this movie, probably my 3rd favorite of the year, behind Avengers and Cabin in the Woods.

Rocketrobo
Good movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.