why didn't george lucas delete the bit when obi wan calls vader darth?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
You know in A |New Hope when Obi Wan says to Vader, "Only a master of evil Darth!"? Why didn't George Lucas delete the "Darth" out of the dialog, because calling him 'Darth would indicate that was his first name. I know maybe when A New Hope came out, they thought it was his real name, but now we know it's not. Why didn't GL delete the 'Darth' so Obi Wan just says, "Only a master of evil", without the 'Darth'.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
You know in A |New Hope when Obi Wan says to Vader, "Only a master of evil Darth!"? Why didn't George Lucas delete the "Darth" out of the dialog, because calling him 'Darth would indicate that was his first name. I know maybe when A New Hope came out, they thought it was his real name, but now we know it's not. Why didn't GL delete the 'Darth' so Obi Wan just says, "Only a master of evil", without the 'Darth'. You're the kind of person who feels that every part of the original material that doesn't 'gel' with the sequel material, is inherently inferior, or unworthy. And when I say "sequel", I'm not talking about about ESB and RotJ---I mean everything after them (namely the PT and EU).

I'm the kind of person who appreciates the original material for what it is, and can't for the life of me understand why your type needs to change it just so that it'll fit in to the consistency of the later works (that in the case of the Star Wars franchise, are objectively inferior). Why can you not leave the originals alone and stop shoehorning things that have no place in them, George?

Q99
What's wrong with calling him by his title?

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Q99
What's wrong with calling him by his title?
Now you come to ask that, I can't think of a reason. But Darth just isn't hiis name. Obi Wan certainly wouldn't call Vader 'Darth'. In III, he calld him Anakin, & he hadn't spoken to him since then.

REXXXX
At the time of filming, Darth Vader was his full name. It only became a title later.

If it helps, look at it as a snarky quip from old Ben. He's become an evil monster, might as well call him by his title that represents that.

NTJack0
I've always just thought of Obi-Wan was simply mocking him with the title.

Ushgarak
Again, C3P0, please put film related threads in the film areas. You'll be warned if you keep opening threads in inappropriate places again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.