The Godfather [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GordonSkywalker
Do we have any fans of the classic Godfather movies on this forum? I love the first two installments of this 1972 film about the Corleone family. Marlon Brando is terrific as Don Vito Corleone aka the Godfather in this tale which centers around the mobsters and gangsters of the mid-twentieth century. Al Pacino stars in his first major role as the youngest son of Vito, Michael Corleone, who swears he will not get into the business of his family which includes his brothers Sonny and Alfredo and their sister Connie. Diane Keaton is absolutely brilliant as Michael's wife Kate. This is a story about family,loyalties, and what happens when they collide with each other......What do you think??? big grin

BackFire349
never cared for the godfather movies, always thought they were kinda boring. they do have some good scenes though.

GordonSkywalker
It's a shame what happened to Sonny about half-way in the first film.

Julie
I never even saw one of them.....

BackFire349
you should, everyone should see them. not everyone will like them but they're worth seeing.

Julie
ok....maybe one day....I'm sure I could rent them in blockbuster or something one day

Dexx
i barely saw them some months ago.
I couldn't even get through the first movie. It's bloody boring.
I tried with the second too....the same.

BOPRecruit 16
why do these movies keep getting shown on amc or bravo or whatever? i don't hate them. just noticing. it's so easy to tell it's godfather on tv. they're interesting movies. ^.~ the sopranos is okay.

BackFire349
cuz they're known as 'the best movies ever' by alot of people, and they're classics

GordonSkywalker
Yes, they are usually broadcast on AMC, although I have seen them on USA before. They are considered classics by a lot of people. I did not get into them until just a few years back. They are long movies,though. So it does take committment to sit through them both. But things do get popping once Sonny is killed, and Michael goes to Italy.And the whole series would not-and could not-have worked without Marlon Brando. He is a talented thespian, for sure.

Ushgarak
Actually, one of the best episodes in the first series of the Sopranos is the one when they are trying to get contracts sorted with the black rap 'hoodlums; and their rather intelligent boss defends Godfather III. About time someone TRIED to do that.

GordonSkywalker
The final(and sometimes forgotten) installment(so far) of the Godfather film series features an aging Michael Corleone who is haunted by memories of his past. The more he tries to go legitimate, the more it seems people want to pull him back into the role of their Godfather. Made more recently than the earlier installments.

BackFire349
it better be the final instalment.

GordonSkywalker
Yes it should be, however there are now strange rumours of a fourth film. What are they going to do for crying out loud- make Al Pacino even older?!

Ushgarak
Why need Al Pacino?

BackFire349
put him in a wheelchair eating through a straw.

GordonSkywalker
True, they could do another one without him, but so far the whole series has centered around him basically. If they did bring him back in another film, then the suggestion made by Backfire 349 has some merit. wink

GordonSkywalker
All right, then. Now, let us debate which film in the Godfather trilogy is the best! I am of course assuming there are others out here who have seen the films. If not, oh well....Anyway, I prefer the original 1972 installment with both Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, becasue it is more interesting, and Michael has not yet followed in his father's footsteps! And of course Sonny is in this one!

Corran
The second one is the best.

GordonSkywalker
Yes, there IS somebody out on the forums this morning besides me!! Okay, you prefer the second film, exactly why do you choose that one? I can see where there is more to do with what happens after Brando's character kicked the proverbial bucket, and Michael has become his father's successor in the 'family business', but what exactly is your favorite part of Part II??

Corran
Al Pacino's whole performance was very good and Robert De Niro as young Vito was brough in quite well too. Other than ESB his is also the only sequel I think that betters the orignal.

GordonSkywalker
Yes, I do concur that they did manage to work in the younger Vito quite well! De Niro did an excellent job! Happy Dance (victory dance)

ToMacco
All three are great. But one and two are argueably the greatest movies ever made.

My favorite is still the first one.

GordonSkywalker
And at this time... I would like to make them an offer....they can't refuse! Okay, let's be serious: any more thoughts about which film you like in the Godfather saga??

Corran
OK being serious I have thought some more and all of them are great, like the mighty To says, but I still prefer Part II.

Sünden
The Godfather I and II are some of the best movies ever made. This is simple fact. III was okay, though. Nothing too special.

Ushgarak
The Scream movies, often very good on their comment on the movie genre, made out that Godfather II was the only sequel that was unquestionably better than the original. What utter nonsense! As we see here, that is something at least as debated as other films they rejected as being unquestionably better- Terminator II and Aliens, for example.

They then went on to reject Empire Strikes Back as it was part of a trilogy. ???????????

GordonSkywalker
Go figure.

Jackal
Good question. Al Pacino already dead in Godfather III?

Omegaman
Yes the logic used in the "Scream" movie is a bit off(but what do you expect) they did put off "Empire Strikes Back" for being a trilogy but one can argue that so is the "Godfather" movies!!

I say that they are still alot better movies out there than GF 1 & 2. Too many great movies just to pick a #1 or #2 , in my opinion!

StrlitSnrise
Ok, so this is the first post I've actually started and I've just been wondering:

Do any other girls like the Godfather Trilogy? I know it's almost every guy's favorite movie and it's a classic to them, but not too many girls have seen it. Maybe it's just that the Corleone family is so much like my own, I don't know.

Really I was just wondering if I was all alone in loving these films?

finti
do any other actually like godfather regardless gender?

Johnnyrocker
This is SOOO annoying! mad
My mum would not let me see the godfather, pleez sumone tell me what its about? all i no is mafia, mob, gangsters, blablabla.....

Also, has anyone here seen the movie star ship troopers? its about this guy and hes in the future and he joins the intergalactic army to destroy a bunch of bugs and capture a brain. i was just wondering cuz its a freakish movie an i doubt anyones seen it.

***ALEX***

PS. die hard was good.

eek! rock

nick1811
right, i searched and no general 'the godfather' threads came up.

just talk about characters, quotes, anything 'the godfather' related.

PunkyTurtle101
The Godfather is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baracustastic
Love the build up to Mike shooting the Turk and the Captain. With the el-train passing by. Vito dying is quite good too; always wondered why that didn't **** Mike's son up.

BlondeBombshell
I think my favorite scene in all the Godfather films, is at the very end of Godfather 2, there is no music, just silence, as Al Pacino sits as the falling leaves are around him, and it's all there in his face, in his eyes... Just brilliant... Love that part.

PunkyTurtle101
I agree about that scene at the end of the Godfather 2.......... Brilliant indeed!!!

shaber
This film is so critically acclaimed that I have to get hold of a dvd.

dean7879
u want the dvd?
i'll make you an offer you cant refuse stick out tongue

Solo
That has spoiler tags written all over it.

Crazy88No.1
It's an awesome movie, Marlon Brando rocks!

Myth
I just bought the collection for $14 on ebay.

bakerboy
Easily, one of the best movies in cinema story, same with second part. Third part was great, but not as that level of masterpiece. The performances of brando,pacino, duvall and caan in the first part , and by pacino, deniro and duvall in second part were amazing. Absolutely masterpieces.

BlondeBombshell
I totally agree!!! I love watching them over and over, until I know all the lines.

It gets to be almost like a black comedy, some of the lines are just so classic and darkly kind of funny...

It really reminds me of the entertainment business in general, how cut throat it is!!!

bilb
'Leave the gun, take the cannolli...'

Dont get much better!!!!

BlondeBombshell
Oh god, that is the FUNNIEST line!!! Classic!!!

nick1811
i don't get what all the oranges are about, if you watch all the films, you'll notice that oranges keep coming up everywhere

Solo
I found one for $12 used. Thought it was pretty weird, something had to be wrong with it. But yeah, buying it used would be the way to go.

Myth
I just watched Godfather III for the first time and I can't believe that so many people were angry about this movie. I thought it did the first two justice. I was very pleased with it and I am very glad that I own the whole trilogy not for the sake of having the series completed, but as three great individual movies.

Deathblow
Yeah I've always thought Part III was dealt with unfairly. The only really bad thing about it is Ms. Coppola's acting.

Part 1 is one of my favorite three movies of all time. It's the best portrayal of a person drifting from good to evil I've ever seen on screen, it's got arguably the greatest cast of all-time in outstanding form; Brando, Caan, Pacino, Keaton, Duvall, and it's the best movie this side of Pulp Fiction at making you side with the immoral characters. I mean Sonny is a horrible, horrible man, but when he gets brutally murdered, you're horrified, and you feel desperately bad for the family when the news is broken. That to me is the mark of great film-making. It's also dizzyingly beautiful to look at, it's shot so well. Flawless.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.