Council of Reeds vs Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

janus77
Prep war, both have 1yrs prep-time. No HOTI or other ULTIMATE device. IGs can only work on the scale demonstrated against the mad Celestials, no Galactus IG.

Scenario, The CoR have wiped all versions of Doom in the omni-verse, they have taken out Franklin, the mad Celestials and even 616 Reed and Valeria. Their appetite for 'correcting' the omniverse is only growing, they see it as their duty to make EVERYTHING right, and as such they have targeted "The Mad Titan" as their next task.

Thanos has been watching the curious omniversal disappearances of Dooms and has slowly pieced together the existence of an omniversal body. In doing so, he has sought to gather to himself some items of power and to ready himself for whatever chaotic threat is on the horizon. He learns of The Council Of Reeds once they wipe out 616 Reed and his family. He realises that they will inevitably be targeting him as he is a known universal annoyance and so now he is preparing for them as best he can.

One year of silence on both sides, passes... The Reeds decide to take the offensive, attacking from their hidden dimensional hideout.

What happens next? who wins and why?

Kid Kurdy
A year is too much, anything can happen, both sides can get their hands on crazy weapons and so on.

This being said, one Reed is already smarter, and in a certain way more dangerous, than Thanos. So a council of Reeds - who are much more ruthless than 616 Reed - should take this.

Uriel005
too many plot device weapons are a potential here. I lean heavily towards the council of reeds but like I said hard to tell when it's all going to come down to a single plot device weapon. I just think the council has a higher probability of coming up with multiple effective weapons and countermeasures to anything Thanos comes up with. A single reed is generally more intelligent, at least in terms of creativity...

If I had to say council stands a better chance.

Bouboumaster
I think that Thanos is more intelligent, and way more cunning that Reed Richards, but the CoR got too much ressources to not win this.

Seriously, how much IG and CC do they got!? It's insanity.

Thanos would outprep Reed in 1-vs-1, but not the entire Concil.
The Concil 10/10

TheLordofMurder
This is spite against Thanos...

Thanos can only win this if he has the HotU. Without it, Thanos is defeated with ease by the council 10/10...

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
I think that Thanos is more intelligent, and way more cunning that Reed Richards, but the CoR got too much ressources to not win this.

Seriously, how much IG and CC do they got!? It's insanity.

Thanos would outprep Reed in 1-vs-1, but not the entire Concil.
The Concil 10/10
Thanos smarter than Reed ?

Since when ?

Nihilist
With a year prep Thanos just creates a shit load of clones or just another cannon that destroyed a solar system ftw.

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by Nihilist
With a year prep Thanos just creates a shit load of clones or just another cannon that destroyed a solar system ftw.
He can just as well bring a slingshot. We are talking about the Council of Reeds here.

Each one is at least as dangerous as Thanos.

Nihilist
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
He can just as well bring a slingshot. We are talking about the Council of Reeds here.And? oh forgot youre one of the idiots that doesnt give Thanos a chance in any thread.

Thanos has entire star fleets at his command and thats with out any prep.

laughing out loud Yeah thats why they all acted like bumbling idiots when weaker alternate reality Celestials showed up, hell they even led the Celestials straight too them, plus they all needed a ultimate Nullifiers each to take on a alt reality Galactus.

Silent Master
COR, way too much brain power for Thanos to overcome.

Bouboumaster
Thanos smarter than Reed ?

Since when ?

Since forever

OneDumbG0
^ Let's not be silly.

quanchi112
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
^ Let's not be silly. Well, he's right so you're being silly not him.

JakeTheBank
All things being equal, I don't see Thanos being massively more intelligent than Reed when you look at their accomplishments.

I don't see how Thanos > multiple Reeds working together in terms of intellect, though. I'm willing to be convinced, though.

Doon
The Council of Reeds encompasses many different versions of Reed -- each with their own unique ability/mutation. Against their combined might, Thanos would unlikely prove victorious. Then again, he's come out on top before when the odds weren't exactly in his favor. This one could go either way. I will say this though: Reed (the 616 version in particular) is certainly not less intelligent than Thanos.

OneDumbG0
^ thumb up Originally posted by JakeTheBank
All things being equal, I don't see Thanos being massively more intelligent than Reed when you look at their accomplishments. Understatement of the year.

Galan007
Where intellectual feats are concerned, Reed is FAR beyond Thanos.

The Alien Entity used Reed's mind as the blueprints to create the entirety of Marvel creation from scratch. Hell, Reed himself used the UN to destroy and recreate the entire multiverse during the Abraxas affair (and using the UN without killing yourself in the process requires FULL knowledge of your target.)

In short: Reed, on at least 2 occasions, has proven that he possesses no less than a multiversally significant intellect. Thanos ain't got shit on that.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Galan007
Where intellectual feats are concerned, Reed is FAR beyond Thanos.

The Alien Entity used Reed's mind as the blueprints to create the entirety of Marvel creation from scratch. Hell, Reed himself used the UN to destroy and recreate the entire multiverse during the Abraxas affair (and using the UN without killing yourself in the process requires FULL knowledge of your target.)

In short: Reed, on at least 2 occasions, has proven that he possesses no less than a multiversally significant intellect. Thanos ain't got shit on that. It's just like using feats to determine superiority and throwing out actual comparisons when two guys are in the same story. You still don't grasp how to compare characters if you want to argue feat based after all these years.

carver9
Thanos is being underated imo.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by carver9
Thanos is being underated imo.

How?

carver9
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
How?

Edit post....

Jake conceded.

JakeTheBank
Because this is a guy that has gained possession of the IG.

This is a guy that built clones and one of them was more powerful than Galactus himself.

And the list goes on. For all of what Reed has done, Thanos has also done things at those levels. Reed has been struggling for years to find a cure for Benn Grimm...if Benn was in Thanos hands, Thanos would have probably gained him humanity along with immortality as well.

no expression

carver9

no expression

Lol...that's it Jake? Stop hiding behind smileys.

JakeTheBank
Lol...that's it Jake? Stop hiding behind smileys.

How is any of what you said akin to "underestimating" Thanos?

I mean, really? I'll give Thanos a boon and assume that he's > Reed when pitted in the same arc/story as he is (even though I don't really believe that). How does that equate to Thanos being > an entire Council of Reeds?

All feats and accomplishments set out on the table, Reed (and Doom) stack up to Thanos. I don't know how that can even be disputed, really.

carver9
How is any of what you said akin to "underestimating" Thanos?

I mean, really? I'll give Thanos a boon and assume that he's > Reed when pitted in the same arc/story as he is (even though I don't really believe that). How does that equate to Thanos being > an entire Council of Reeds?

All feats and accomplishments set out on the table, Reed (and Doom) stack up to Thanos. I don't know how that can even be disputed, really.

I wasn't talking about the entire council. Some people were using Thanos and Reed individually and honestly, I think Thanos is right up there with Reed, especially if he was given as much time as Reed gets when he is prepping.

The council...I fully agree with you.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Bouboumaster Since forever

1st constantine now this?

Uriel005
Just wanted to say... based on multiverse showings reed's assembled the IG... multiple times and based on celestial vs. council 616 Reed is > Council. Just saying,

Galan007
I wasn't talking about the entire council. Some people were using Thanos and Reed individually and honestly, I think Thanos is right up there with Reed, especially if he was given as much time as Reed gets when he is prepping.

The council...I fully agree with you. Name Thanos' best intellectual feat. Let's see how it compares to Reed's best.

basilisk
With all the multiple CCs, IGs, UNs etc. this would be crazy. Thanos would have to create a multiversal council of Thanos' to even stand a chance, then the cosmics, Roma, LT would be getting in trying to stop it, they would probably run into the Council of Cross-Time Kangs, and the whole thing would just get completely insane. By then even the OP wouldn't be able to stop them escalating and going after stuff like the HOTI. The multi-Reed-Thanos-Kang brawl would be too big for even the multiverse to contain, and it would end up crashing through into the DC universe like that scene at the end of Blazing Saddles.

The entire Mega-Omni-Multiverse is destroyed.

Stoic
The counsel of Reed's would likely win this. There are three of them that possess complete IG's.

Bouboumaster
Originally posted by Stoic
The counsel of Reed's would likely win this. There are three of them that possess complete IG's.

Yep. The Concil is stacked beyond ridicule.
I usually put Thanos at the top of the food chain, but even if he's smarter that Reed, he has too much to overcome here.

Stoic
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Yep. The Concil is stacked beyond ridicule.
I usually put Thanos at the top of the food chain, but even if he's smarter that Reed, he has too much to overcome here.

When claiming who is smarter between Reed and Thanos, I would say that it depends on the subject. Thanos is likely Reeds superior when it comes to cloning tech, and bionic enhancements, but Reed has his specialties as well.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Galan007
Name Thanos' best intellectual feat. Let's see how it compares to Reed's best. This line of reasoning is as flawed as comparing strength feats to gauge who is the strongest. Laughable.

Badabing
Reeds win. Unlike Thanos, they actually have taken over their respective universes.

quanchi112
Looks at my sig and hops on a plan to tampa to enact World War Quan.

Badabing
Originally posted by quanchi112
Looks at my sig and hops on a plan to tampa to enact World War Quan. Diverts flight and resends it to Orlando...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/Sigs/badasig-3.jpg

quanchi112
Originally posted by Badabing
Diverts flight and resends it to Orlando...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/Sigs/badasig-3.jpg Yes, but you see I cut delph loose and tossed him out the window as we passed tampa. Find and kill the bada my delphling.

Badabing
Yes, but you see I cut delph loose and tossed him out the window as we passed tampa. Find and kill the bada my delphling. laughing out loud

Batman-Prime
This line of reasoning is as flawed as comparing strength feats to gauge who is the strongest. Laughable.

laughing out loud

Reeds Intellect > Thanos, ok. At least you agree.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
laughing out loud

Reeds Intellect > Thanos, ok. At least you agree. No, when these two have been in the same story Thanos always outshines him. Taking feats and running with them based off a character with over 2,000 plus more appearances is faulty and completely incorrect.

Kid Kurdy
No, when these two have been in the same story Thanos always outshines him.
Eh no.

Just no.

FF and Thanos don't have a real history. A small one, yes, in which Reed Richards only had a cameo and stuff like that, but the story was mostly all about Thanos.

So we just ignore his feats ?

Reed >>> Thanos. Accept this.

quanchi112
Eh no.

Just no.

FF and Thanos don't have a real history. A small one, yes, in which Reed Richards only had a cameo and stuff like that, but the story was mostly all about Thanos.

So we just ignore his feats ?

Reed >>> Thanos. Accept this. Reed was involved in a major crossover in which Thanos was a heavy hitter not himself. Reed shines when Thanos isn't there. When Thanos is there Reed sits down and takes notes.

We don't ignore comparisons and feats are fine they just don't matter when comparing. Sorry about your luck, kiddo.

Kid Kurdy
Reed was involved in a major crossover in which Thanos was a heavy hitter not himself.

Yes, Reed had a small, unimportant role in some crossovers. Just like I said. Your point being ?

When somebody needs a Big Brain, they don't go to Tony, or the High Evolutionary, or Thanos.

No, they go to Reed.

Reed is considered the smartest of the Marvel Universe, not Thanos.

quanchi112
Yes, Reed had a small, unimportant role in some crossovers. Just like I said. Your point being ?

When somebody needs a Big Brain, they don't go to Tony, or the High Evolutionary, or Thanos.

No, they go to Reed.

Reed is considered the smartest of the Marvel Universe, not Thanos. That when the chips are down and when these two are in the same story Thanos takes the lead. He's better than reed.

When has anyone ever picked Reed over Thanos in the same story ? reed shines when Thanos is absent.

Kid Kurdy
That when the chips are down and when these two are in the same story Thanos takes the lead. He's better than reed.

Only when the story is about Thanos and nothing else.

quanchi112
Only when the story is about Thanos and nothing else. The story wasn't just about Thanos. Reed takes a backseat to him as many have in the past. Thanos is the biggest player in the marvel universe.

Kid Kurdy
Thanos is the biggest player in the marvel universe.
You mean when he isn't dead (again) ?

quanchi112
You mean when he isn't dead (again) ? Yes, he isn't currently dead. I mean Reed couldn't even stop the WW Hulk. Laughs.

Kid Kurdy
It's even worse than I thought.

quanchi112
It's even worse than I thought. Yeah, failing by replicating the Sentry's energy was quite a blunder of epic proportions against a brick yet you claim he's in Thanos' league.

Badabing
Originally posted by Badabing
Reeds win. Unlike Thanos, they actually have taken over their respective universes.

quanchi112
Hops right back into car with vengeance in my heart.

Bouboumaster

Reed is considered the smartest of the Marvel Universe, not Thanos.

Smartest on Marvel Earth.

Prep-Man
REED!

Rage.Of.Olympus
Reed has been struggling for years to find a cure for Benn Grimm

His done it, more than once actually I think.

Prep-Man
Reed has to have challenges SOMETIMES, if not, it would be extremely boring, but he IS the smartest in the MU.

Uriel005
Pym>> Valeria (as of fantastic 4 #573, at least according to her she's smarter than her dad)> Reed 616 >>> Celestials >> Council of Reeds

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/69070/1624461-ff_573_17_super.jpg

Prep-Man
Kids say the funniest things sometimes. wink

Mistress-Death
Reed can't even undertsand the concept of magic, it close but Thanos edges it as the Reeds first instinct won't be to kill Thanos only to stop him, Thanos on the other hand will go to annihilate then from the get go

basilisk
That when the chips are down and when these two are in the same story Thanos takes the lead. He's better than reed.

When has anyone ever picked Reed over Thanos in the same story ? reed shines when Thanos is absent.

When the chips are down in an Infinity Something story, Thanos always makes sure makes sure Reed is around just in case, by having some contrived and silly reason for getting earth's heroes involved - "Err... let's get those earth heroes involved again... you know, like that Reed Richards guy.... err.. in case we need like a diversion..."

When the chips are down in an FF story, Thanos isn't mentioned or needed.

When Thanos prepped and faced Galactus he was left begging and crying.

When Reed faced Galactus he designed a machine that depowered Galactus into a human and it took him about 10 minutes without prep.

And let's not forget, when Sue got annoyed with Thanos she knocked him out in about 5 seconds. A Council of Reeds comes with a whole bunch of Sues!

Really though, Pym and Amadeus Cho are also both smarter than Thanos these days. Probably Valeria Richards as well.

Mistress-Death
Joke post^^?

Thats why everbody went to Thanos to stop the cancerverse taking over the universe and reverse the nercropsy ritual not Reed he couldn't even prep for WWH

quanchi112
Originally posted by basilisk
When the chips are down in an Infinity Something story, Thanos always makes sure makes sure Reed is around just in case, by having some contrived and silly reason for getting earth's heroes involved - "Err... let's get those earth heroes involved again... you know, like that Reed Richards guy.... err.. in case we need like a diversion..."

When Reed faced Galactus he designed a machine that depowered Galactus into a human and it took him about 10 minutes without prep.

And let's not forget, when Sue got annoyed with Thanos she knocked him out in about 5 seconds. A Council of Reeds comes with a whole bunch of Sues!

Really though, Pym and Amadeus Cho are also both smarter than Thanos these days. Probably Valeria Richards as well. Incorrect. Reed wasn't mentioned at all and he didn't play a pivotal role in a few infinity sagas, Thanos Imperative, or Infinity Abyss. That's just it Thanos isn't some regular schmuck like Doom or Reed he only shows up when something big happens. Reed's that guy who also failed with aid against Galactus in Galactus the Devourer. He failed despite Galactus being weakened as well.

Reed's that guy who failed against WW Hulk and his grand plan completely and utterly failed.

Thanos is that guy who saves Galactus' ass and all of reality in his own solo series. He's a much bigger fish than Reed will ever be. Thanos is the guy who all the heroes team up with when he's motivated to stop and in the end Thanos still prevails.

Thanos is the best at what he does Reed needs a team to bail him out week in and week out for years now. smile

basilisk
Incorrect. Reed wasn't mentioned at all and he didn't play a pivotal role in a few infinity sagas, Thanos Imperative, or Infinity Abyss. That's just it Thanos isn't some regular schmuck like Doom or Reed he only shows up when something big happens. Reed's that guy who also failed with aid against Galactus in Galactus the Devourer. He failed despite Galactus being weakened as well.

Reed's that guy who failed against WW Hulk and his grand plan completely and utterly failed.

Thanos is that guy who saves Galactus' ass and all of reality in his own solo series. He's a much bigger fish than Reed will ever be. Thanos is the guy who all the heroes team up with when he's motivated to stop and in the end Thanos still prevails.

Thanos is the best at what he does Reed needs a team to bail him out week in and week out for years now. smile

Remember when the Avengers and Defenders were saving the cosmos from Dormammu, and Thanos didn't even understand what the hell was going on and was just the footsoldier schmuck busy fighting demons? Does that really mean that Avengers/Defenders >> Thanos because they saved the day and Thanos remained utterly clueless as to what happened? It was because it was an Avengers/Defenders story. Thanos just saves the day in his own stories. The fact is Reed just doesn't need Thanos and saves the universe many more times without him.

And Thanos will always be remembered for breaking down and begging in front of Galactus, while Reed just got on with the job and depowered him.

Nihilist
Remember when the Avengers and Defenders were saving the cosmos from Dormammu, and Thanos didn't even understand what the hell was going on and was just the footsoldier schmuck busy fighting demons? Does that really mean that Avengers/Defenders >> Thanos because they saved the day and Thanos remained utterly clueless as to what happened? It was because it was an Avengers/Defenders story. Thanos just saves the day in his own stories. The fact is Reed just doesn't need Thanos and saves the universe many more times without him.

And Thanos will always be remembered for breaking down and begging in front of Galactus, while Reed just got on with the job and depowered him. facepalmThat is the only response your post deserves.

quanchi112

And Thanos will always be remembered for breaking down and begging in front of Galactus, while Reed just got on with the job and depowered him. No, I don't remember any of that at all. Thanos is the centerpiece in nearly all of the stories he's in while Reed is just benefiting from having more appearances ie. more feats.

Reed has lost to Galactus before and was at his mercy in Galactus the Devourer. Reed was also beaten senseless and held prisoner in WW Hulk. Thanos saved Galactus and the 616 reality from the Hunger.

Thanos just nuked an entire universe that messed with his gal. Get back to me when Reed doesn't embarrass himself by using strobe lights to stop a brick.

basilisk
No, I don't remember any of that at all.
Avengers Defenders war. Come on, you're a Thanos fan!

quanchi112
Avengers Defenders war. Come on, you're a Thanos fan! Oh this little snippet where other characters were seen holding off the threat wherever they were.

This isn't the same thing as reed banding together with the others the fight didn't just resurface on his door step. Thanos met the threat in 1973 and wasn't a major player in the story, I didn't just refer to stories where Reed is in them for one panel a mere cameo.

I mean this is getting pretty awful on your part.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/Avengersv1118-part612.jpg

Uriel005

Really though, Pym and Amadeus Cho are also both smarter than Thanos these days. Probably Valeria Richards as well. no most if not all the reeds left their families on relatively bad terms iirc and Valeria is. big grin at least according to her so I reserve my judgement on that

basilisk
Oh this little snippet where other characters were seen holding off the threat wherever they were.

This isn't the same thing as reed banding together with the others the fight didn't just resurface on his door step. Thanos met the threat in 1973 and wasn't a major player in the story, I didn;'t just refer to stories where Reed is in them for one panel.

I mean this is getting pretty awful on your part.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/Avengersv1118-part612.jpg
It is the same thing really, Thanos was a bit character in a bigger story fighting a major threat that he was unaware of. Like the heroes fighting the doppleganger invasion and not knowing what was really going on, while Warlock and Thanos were opposing the Magus. The Infinity stories weren't really about the heroes despite their involvement - they were about Thanos and Warlock.

The same thing happened with Cosmos in Collision. Maelstrom stood in front of Thanos and flat out insulted him, and Thanos didn't know who he was or what even happened - and that was when he had the Infinity Gauntlet. Meanwhile Quasar saved the universe and Thanos never even found out what was happening.

quanchi112
It is the same thing really, Thanos was a bit character in a bigger story fighting a major threat that he was unaware of. Like the heroes fighting the doppleganger invasion and not knowing what was really going on, while Warlock and Thanos were opposing the Magus. The Infinity stories weren't really about the heroes despite their involvement - they were about Thanos and Warlock.

The same thing happened with Cosmos in Collision. Maelstrom stood in front of Thanos and flat out insulted him, and Thanos didn't know who he was or what even happened - and that was when he had the Infinity Gauntlet. Meanwhile Quasar saved the universe and Thanos never even found out what was happening. Thanos appeared in what year, 1973 ? Thanos wasn't even a fleshed out character at that point in time. Reed appeared and collaborated with the heroes in Infinity War. The heroes played a part and understood the situation but the major players were Thanos and Warlock.

Yes, maelstrom was an anomaly. He went on to die. He didn't do a thing to Thanos. Thanos while depowered destroyed the guy who killed him twice in cosmos in collision.

You're trying to make a false distinction and the most hilarious part is the showing took place in 1973 iirc.

basilisk
Thanos appeared in what year, 1973 ? Thanos wasn't even a fleshed out character at that point in time. Reed appeared and collaborated with the heroes in Infinity War. The heroes played a part and understood the situation but the major players were Thanos and Warlock.

Yes, maelstrom was an anomaly. He went on to die. He didn't do a thing to Thanos. Thanos while depowered destroyed the guy who killed him twice in cosmos in collision.

You're trying to make a false distinction and the most hilarious part is the showing took place in 1973 iirc. There's nothing hilarious about 1973. Plenty of good feats from those days.

Like Thanos, Maelstrom kept coming back though. And Thanos killing Quasar is just ABC. Anyway the fact remains Thanos was pretty clueless in Cosmos in Collision, despite having the gauntlet. I mean he really, really seemed not to know what was going on in that sequence.

quanchi112
There's nothing hilarious about 1973. Plenty of good feats from those days.

Like Thanos, Maelstrom kept coming back though. And Thanos killing Quasar is just ABC. Anyway the fact remains Thanos was pretty clueless in Cosmos in Collision, despite having the gauntlet. I mean he really, really seemed not to know what was going on in that sequence. Thanos wasn't fleshed out as a character in 73 that's the point.

Maelstrom left. Thanos stood his ground. Thanos defeated Eternity while Maelstrom was defeated by the avatar of Infinity.

He wasn't sure because he was the anomaly. Thanos prevailed over his opposition Maelstrom managed to die twice. Thanos' arc encompassed the majority of marvel while Maelstrom was just a Quasar threat early on. Laughs.

basilisk
Thanos wasn't fleshed out as a character in 73 that's the point.

Maelstrom left. Thanos stood his ground. Thanos defeated Eternity while Maelstrom was defeated by the avatar of Infinity.

He wasn't sure because he was the anomaly. Thanos prevailed over his opposition Maelstrom managed to die twice. Thanos' arc encompassed the majority of marvel while Maelstrom was just a Quasar threat early on. Laughs. That's just a bunch more meaningless ABC. And Thanos didn't so much as stand his ground as not even understand what happened. Also, Maelstrom was a threat to the whole universe, it was just that Quasar stopped him.

Anyway, I still think the Council wins. A single Reed is dangerous enough. The Council is just too much. It's almost spite with all the stuff they had.

quanchi112
That's just a bunch more meaningless ABC. And Thanos didn't so much as stand his ground as not even understand what happened. Also, Maelstrom was a threat to the whole universe, it was just that Quasar stopped him.

Anyway, I still think the Council wins. A single Reed is dangerous enough. The Council is just too much. It's almost spite with all the stuff they had. One hero stopped him and he was a threat the universe for the most part wasn't aware of. Thanos dealt with pretty much everyone and came out on top.

Thanos is beyond any Reed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.