USH'S STAR WARS GAME- Draft of new templates

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
As discussed in the General Discussion thread, I'd been wanting to redo the templates for some time, as I was unhappy with what we had for various reasons.

Here is a draft of my proposed new setup. any of you are unaffected. Those of you who would be, none of your backstories will be affected and I am willing to stretch far to make things work, even allowing you to continue to use effectively discontinued templates. If people still don't like these, we won't use them.

If we do change, those who think they might have reasonably used a new template can take one. Alien powers, if approved by my brother, have also become available for some other templates.

Ushgarak
LIGHT SIDE TEMPLATES

The Light Side is the side of 'Balance'. In Star Wars Terms, a 'Balanced' galaxy is a good galaxy, where the evil that seeks to imbalance the way of things is prevented from doing so. This means pursuing concepts like justice and peace... but though the Light Side seeks peace, the way of the galaxy is that this will have to be fought for. Light Side characters are the heroes that embody this concept and in their stories they are expected to fulfil these noble ends- peacefully if possible, by force if necessary.

By default, this means being a member of the Jedi Order, the ancient organisation dedicated to training those who can use the Force and then going on to fight for the cause of the Light Side. This is no mere assumption on their part; the democratic Senate of the Republic grants the Jedi the powers of enforcing law and dispensing justice. In turn, the Jedi accept that they have no moral right to just assume their role as lawgivers; they must work with the Senate. The Jedi

Knights go where they are needed to arbitrate disputes, catch dangerous criminals and deal with threats to the Republic. Being a Jedi is a position of great power and great responsibility; they are part of a hierarchy and they must obey many laws and orders.

Some Light Side templates are no longer members of the Order. These 'Renegades' have become disillusioned by the evils the Order cannot fight, like corruption in the Senate and other official arms, that they feel have prevented the Jedi from achieving the justice they should. Although Renegades have freed themselves from the rules of the Order (at the price of their legal authority), they still will not violate the moral rules of the Light Side, at least not intentionally. Renegades continue the fight for Balance in their own way, with their own advantages and issues, though when it comes to grander storyline threats they will join as one with the Jedi.

In the campaign as it stands, the Renegade Jedi are part of an independent group of investigators taking cases for those who find themselves denied justice, whilst the Jedi are part of a large special operations group looking into unusual threats, though often called away to deal with more prosaic issues that the Jedi get involved with. At the start of Episode VI, both groups are effectively working together against a particularly threatening villain.

Ushgarak

Ushgarak

Ushgarak
DARK SIDE TEMPLATES

The Dark Side is all that the Light Side is not- selfish, cruel and evil. Generally associated with the power of emotions, the Dark Side is wild and exciting and brings great power, but generally at a terrible cost to both the user and those around him. Generally, the accumulation of power for the self is the central objective of any Dark Sider, though their individual psychologies can be complex. The life of the average Dark Sider is brutal; they are marginalised from society and hunted by the law when they try their schemes. They must rely on their wits to survive, as well as the two main weapons of the Dark Side- destructive power and the ability to deceive.

Dark Siders, then, make great bad guys, but playing one is a little different. Being on the Dark Side makes you a generally amoral or immoral person, but playing one is not about glorifying in evil for its own sake. The Dark Side has its challenges about survival and trying to thrive that make for good stories, whilst at the same time looking at what it is like to be a Dark Side. Much of the challenge in playing a Dark Sider is to trying to achieve your ambitions whilst staying sane and, perhaps hardest of all- to try and work with others without the group self-destructing as is the fate of so many Dark Side organisations over time. Where the Light Side works well with others, the Dark Side is parasitic and co-operation is its major challenge. The great advantage, of course, is the freedom the Dark Side offers you- no rules or restrictions save those you make yourself for practical reasons.

There are two broad types of Dark Sider- ex-Jedi, who were trained as Jedi but fell to the Dark Side, and Outsiders; those from outside the Republic who were found and trained by another Dark Sider (the Jedi generally find and train all those within the Republic). In the current campaign, the Dark Siders- along with virtually all of their kind- have been driven out of civilised space by a shadowy and evil new organisation employing lethal alien hunters to destroy all Dark Siders they find. However, fortune has found the Dark Siders with a hidden base outside the Republic that is a safe haven for them. The group comprises of some leftovers of followers of the famed (and disappeared) fallen Jedi Kuylen, a group of ex-Jedi that joined with the ex-Kuylen group some years back, and other drifters that have found their way to safety with the group since. Various trials have seen the group work together to some extent, but there is no clear leader or power structure and much argument.

Ushgarak

Ushgarak

Ushgarak
Oh shucks- I cannot edit these as they are over the character limit, but the Warlord has a Force rating of 8, not 10.

REXXXX
Hah, won't let me do it either.

Leddniz
So in response to being asked to post my sheet here, ta da! I have the backstory worked out, if that's relevant. If you have any questions, or need to slap me for a mistake feel free to do so.

STATS

Strength: 3
Agility: 4
Dexterity: 5
Defence: 1

Willpower: 4
Intelligence: 5
Charisma: 3
Perception: 4

Force Rating: 7
Force Attack: 7
Force Defence: 1

SKILLS

Lightsabre: 4
Guns: 4

Combat: 2 (Fixed)

Savoir-Faire: 2
Languages: 2
Survival: 2
Intimidate: 1
Leadership: 1
Medicine: 1
Fix-it: 3
Jedi Lore: 1
Observation: 1
Intrusion: 2
Sabotage: 1

SPECIAL: Gunman

FORCE POWERS:
Master Push/Pull
Sense
Intuition
Master Swiftness
Presence
Master Co-ordination
Master Balance

BLADE SCHTICKS:
Orthodox Guard
Charge
Cleave
Reflection

COMBAT SCHTICKS:
Dodge and Weave
Feint
Whirling Strike

GUN SCHTICKS:
Marksman
Eagle Eye
Eye of the Storm

MERITS:
Ally - Senator
Contact - Senate
Peach
Which template did you go with? I'm guessing Ronin but generally it helps to state that :P

Leddniz
Oh, right, of course! Yes, it's Ronin.

Rio Rio
Oh man. My character is kind of similar but different in little ways. I want to stand out so I'll probably make some changes. I'm also going for Ronin.

Rio Rio
I've made some changes so I think I'm ready to post it.

My Ronin is named Rast. He has a reputation as a bounty hunter, who has strayed from the Order because he felt that they were not doing enough to bring in criminals. He goes after the most dangerous contracts, though usually only if it benefits the galaxy in a great way. It's his way of helping the galaxy. He generally goes after people like warlords and serial killers that create mass suffering.

He's also a survivor man and tracker sort, relying on his wits and knowledge to keep on his feet and find his prey.

He's a quick-draw gunslinging space cowboy basically.

He has a contact that supplies him with weaponry and gear that he needs for some of his hunts, a gunrunner. He also has ties to a lawyer to help him legitimize some of his borderline vigilante adventures.

Strength: 4
Agility: 5
Dexterity: 3
Defense: 1

Willpower: 4
Intelligence: 5
Charisma: 3
Perception: 4

Force Rating: 7
Force Attack: 7
Force Defense: 1

Skills
Lightsaber: 9
Guns: 4
Combat: 2
Savoir-Faire: 2
Languages: 2
Survival: 3
Intimidate: 1
Leadership: 1
Medicine: 1
Fix-It: 1
Jedi Lore: 1
Observation: 2
Sabotage: 2
Intrusion: 1

MERITS
Reputation (bounty hunter)
Contact (gunrunner)
Ally (lawyer)

POWERS

Push/Pull

Swiftness
Coordination

Sense
Presence

Intuition

BLADE SCHTICKS
Orthodox Guard
Perfect Strike
Block
Riposte

COMBAT SCHTICKS
Street Fighting
Assault
Dodge & Weave

GUN SCHTICKS
Marksman
Gunslinger
Close Quarters Gunman

Leddniz
You're playing Batman: The Jedi. Cool!

Ushgarak
Nothing wrong with multiple Ronins- a very flexible template.

I've not done a full-on mathematical check but, running through them, they all look good.

Rio Rio
Are all my schticks good for one-on-one fighting?

Ushgarak
Yes, though note that Orthodox Guard and Perfect Strike overlap, though you would still get two conversions of a '1'.

Peach
Glancing them over...yeah, you'll be pretty good at that. Master Coordination is the one-on-one power. Riposte is also great for that.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yes, though note that Orthodox Guard and Perfect Strike overlap, though you would still get two conversions of a '1'.

I like the overlap, myself - means if one's tapped out I still have the other to fall back on!

Rio Rio
Overlap meaning the dice bonus yes?

Do Marksman and Close Quarters also overlap?

Newjak
Originally posted by Peach
Glancing them over...yeah, you'll be pretty good at that. Master Coordination is the one-on-one power. Riposte is also great for that.

I like the overlap, myself - means if one's tapped out I still have the other to fall back on! Yeah that overlap is nice plus you kinda can score a success on a 1,4,5,6 for that turn at least until you rolled two ones which can be very helpful.

Leddniz
Well, if all is copacetic with my sheet, then I'll just waddle about the forums until something happens!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.