Balance the Force

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaedusRules
I have a question. If the Jedi believed the Sith destroyed and gone before TPM, then why would they want to bring balance to the force. Obviously the force is unbalanced, but favoring the light before Anakin. Could the prophosy really mean that bringing balance would be to destroy all the Jedi?

Before Anakin.... Many Jedi, 2 Sith...
After Anakin... 2 Jedi, 2 Sith... Balanced...

How could the Jedi not see this?

Lord Lucien
Because when The Phantom Menace was written, the Chosen One prophecy was vague as to how "balance" was achieved. Only as of Revenge of the Sith did "balance" come to mean "destroy the Sith".

There is no explanation in-universe as to why the Jedi were so dumb, it's just the way they're written.

CaedusRules
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Because when The Phantom Menace was written, the Chosen One prophecy was vague as to how "balance" was achieved. Only as of Revenge of the Sith did "balance" come to mean "destroy the Sith".

There is no explanation in-universe as to why the Jedi were so dumb, it's just the way they're written.

Yea, but come on... If someone were to say to me that a boy was born that will bring balance to America and Mexico,... I would be like... No Thanks. I'm fine with the balabce of power as it is....

Nephthys
In Plageuis Darths Plageuis and Sidious use a ritual to unbalance the Force and increase the Darksides power. Its implied that the Force responds by creating Anakin who will rebalance the Force by killing Palpatine.

Lord Lucien
Apparently the Force is a total *sshole.

Arhael
Originally posted by CaedusRules
Yea, but come on... If someone were to say to me that a boy was born that will bring balance to America and Mexico,... I would be like... No Thanks. I'm fine with the balabce of power as it is....
Barak Obama is the chosen one!

CaedusRules
Originally posted by Arhael
Barak Obama is the chosen one!

You were supposed to bring balance to the economy... Not Destroy it!

DARTH POWER
Lol!

Ushgarak
'Balance' refers a universe that is functioning properly. The Dark Side is the Force of imbalance. A Balanced universe is one where the Dark Side is gone, and this is done by defeating the Sith. It is in no way meant to mean there should be equal amounts of Jedi and Sith- the very presence of the Sith unbalances things.

GL explained all this in interview back from TPM onwards, but he really should have outright explained it on screen.

Anyway- your conclusion is a bit misleading. 'After Anakin' is the end of Return of the Jedi- there are still Jedi, but no Sith, and the continuity of the Sith line is broken forever.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Ushgarak

GL explained all this in interview back from TPM onwards, but he really should have outright explained it on screen.

He sort of did with Obi-Wan's lines to Anakin at the end of ROTS. It was kind of clear: "You were supposed to destroy the Sith.. Bring balance to the force.."

Not sure why people still get confused about it.

Nephthys
Because when you use the terms 'Light Side' and 'Dark Side' a person will intuitively assume that balance means an equilibrium between them. For two sides to be in balance there should be an equal amount of both. You're right that it is stated in the films but this is confusing in the light of this and could have been better explained. When people ask about this they do point out that it is said that destroying the Sith brings balance, the problem is that Lucas never explains why (in the movie).

Ushgarak
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
He sort of did with Obi-Wan's lines to Anakin at the end of ROTS. It was kind of clear: "You were supposed to destroy the Sith.. Bring balance to the force.."

Not sure why people still get confused about it.

Six years after mentioning Balance was a bit late in the day. He had it all in mind from the start and was happy to talk about it, but TPM was the chance to set the whole prophecy out and it was missed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.