power vs durability

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Brockalizer
There are many beings in both universes that are insanely strong and beings that are insanely durable. However, there are a select few that are both. So my question is, who if anyone, on this list of highly powerful AND durable heroes and villains is powerful enough to overcome their own durability and break their own hand when punching either an object or opponent.

Here is the list, any version, in no special order.

1. Captain Marvel
2. Thor
3. Superman
4. Juggernaut
5. Doomsday
6. Solomon Grundy
7. Gladiator
8. Hulk
9. Thanos
10. Drax

Batman-Prime
1. Captain Marvel - Could break it
2. Thor - most likely, with Mjolnir though a better chance
3. Superman - yep
4. Juggernaut - no
5. Doomsday - Hmm, difficult but he can do it
6. Solomon Grundy - yes
7. Gladiator - yes
8. Hulk - yes
9. Thanos - yes
10. Drax - yes

Everyone should have the needed strength to overcome his durability if he hits an indestrcutible object at full force/power, except Classic Juggernaut imho.^^

Cogito
I'm not sure Thanos could do it. IMO his durability is far greater than his physical power.

Brockalizer
I'm not too sure about Superman. He has some pretty damn imprerssive durability feats and it would seem, at least to me anyway, that there is a direct corelation between his strength and durability increasing simultaneously i.e the stronger he gets the more durable he gets.

Batman-Prime
^a sucker punch from Gen Zod (his clone) broke his jaw. I guess with enough speed and strength he could break his fist too, if the object is harder then him smile.

Originally posted by Cogito
I'm not sure Thanos could do it. IMO his durability is far greater than his physical power.

Yeah his durability is great but better against energy attacks then physical it seems. He bleeds faster when you punch him big grin. Except of this, didn't he punched through an clone of himself, sure it was just a clone but anyway.

vince_slice
Originally posted by vince_slice
When Thanos fought his more powerful doppelganger he punched a hole into his chest with an amped punch.

http://i44.tinypic.com/r2lwjn.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://i39.tinypic.com/21bov2v.jpg

I think this should be evidence that Thanos could if he amped his strength.

Stoic

He could and has.

Brockalizer
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
^a sucker punch from Gen Zod (his clone) broke his jaw. I guess with enough speed and strength he could break his fist too, if the object is harder then him smile. I mostly agree, but I think that it would largely depend on what he is punching. For example I think that if he were to put all his strength into one punch he would have a higher probability of breaking his hand on Juggernauts jaw rather than the Hulks or Doomsdays. The reason is that while all three targets would be insanely durable, Hulk and Doomsday are still flesh and bone. I imagine their jaws would break before his hand would. Juggernaut on the other hand, while technichally flesh and bone is also protected by a mystical enchantment. Rather than fist meeting flesh like with Hulk and Doomsday, Superman hitting Juggernaut would be fist meeting mystically protected flesh. He hasn't, to the best of my knoweldge, broken his hand trying to punch suposedly indestructable objects in the past, and I doubt that he was holding back when for example he tried to destroy those "indestructable" missiles. Essentially I think that Juggernauts enchantment would override Superman's durability.

h1a8
I'm not sure Thanos could do it. IMO his durability is far greater than his physical power. No it isn't. Remember energy blast durability isn't the same as blunt force durability. Thor could still bash Thanos head in with a few mightly slams.

h1a8
Different parts of the body has different durabilities. The neck, ears, eyes, ... are the weakest. The skull is most durable, then maybe chest.

Also, if a character breaks their hand on an object equal to their own durability then does than mean that their strength is more than their durability or the other way around? Exactly, this is silly.

With that said, this thread is best as:
Assuming each one's fist is indestructible, who can't overcome their own durability with a single punch? The answer is clearly that Juggs is the only one. In comics, the writer's usually display a character's strength to be roughly proportion to their durability. The exception are cases of Juggernaut or a character being made of a certain material (like adamantium).

CosmicComet
Originally posted by h1a8
No it isn't. Remember energy blast durability isn't the same as blunt force durability. Thor could still bash Thanos head in with a few mightly slams.

'energy blast durability' is not equivalent to 'blunt force durability' only when the blasts don't have concussive properties.

an explosion, for example, most certainly produces force, since its concussive.

Galan007
Originally posted by h1a8
Also, if a character breaks their hand on an object equal to their own durability then does than mean that their strength is more than their durability or the other way around? confused The last bit doesn't make sense.

If Superman were to strike an object with such force that it broke his hand, it would mean that his strength overcame his durability. It obviously would not mean that his durability overcame his strength, otherwise his hand wouldn't have been injured.

Cogito
Originally posted by Galan007
It obviously would not mean that his durability overcame his strength, otherwise his hand wouldn't have been injured.

But...

is it the other way around? confused

Batman-Prime
Originally posted by Brockalizer
I mostly agree, but I think that it would largely depend on what he is punching. For example I think that if he were to put all his strength into one punch he would have a higher probability of breaking his hand on Juggernauts jaw rather than the Hulks or Doomsdays. The reason is that while all three targets would be insanely durable, Hulk and Doomsday are still flesh and bone. I imagine their jaws would break before his hand would. Juggernaut on the other hand, while technichally flesh and bone is also protected by a mystical enchantment. Rather than fist meeting flesh like with Hulk and Doomsday, Superman hitting Juggernaut would be fist meeting mystically protected flesh. He hasn't, to the best of my knoweldge, broken his hand trying to punch suposedly indestructable objects in the past, and I doubt that he was holding back when for example he tried to destroy those "indestructable" missiles. Essentially I think that Juggernauts enchantment would override Superman's durability.

I agree for the most parts, that's why I said that they would have to hit an truly indestructible object^^.

rotiart
If two objects collide. One is stationary and the other in motion.
And both have the same durability... Odds are pretty good the same damage should be passed on when the energy is passed over.

If the stationary object is prevented from movement... Then other things come into play like the force exerted bak on the object in motion, and it's trajectory before and after impact. Whether the force keeping the stationary object still can withstand the force of the impaling object..,

Eh. I said the nuke each other.

Brockalizer
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
1. Captain Marvel - Could break it
2. Thor - most likely, with Mjolnir though a better chance
3. Superman - yep
4. Juggernaut - no
5. Doomsday - Hmm, difficult but he can do it
6. Solomon Grundy - yes
7. Gladiator - yes
8. Hulk - yes
9. Thanos - yes
10. Drax - yes

Everyone should have the needed strength to overcome his durability if he hits an indestrcutible object at full force/power, except Classic Juggernaut imho.^^
For my list
1. Captain Marvel: Probably not
2. Thor: Probably not
I say probably not because their strength and durability are mystical or divine in nature, although not to the same degree as Juggernaut. They can recieve physical damage under the right conditions, but I doubt that they damage themselves. Esentially I'msaying that I think that they can only recieve damage from a second party, not themselves.

3. Superman: Only if striking something or someone with a mystical enchantment. The only reason I say that is because Superman has encountered foes and or obstacles in the past and not held back. Usually he holds back when facing an opponent out a his desire not to kill. The way I figure, if he could he would have done it when fighting HP Doomsday or in OWAW when he had no reason to hold back.

4. Juggernaut: absolutely not, for obvious reasons
5. Doomsday: absolutely not, for not so obvious reasons.
The reason I say absolutely not for Doomsday is because he doesn't think about hold back in a fight the same way Superman, Thor, or Marvel would. I believe that, and I know H1 will probably dissagree, if he could, he would've busted his hand on Superman when he was literally fighting for his life.

6. Grundy: probably
7.Gladiator: probably not
The reason I say probably not for Gladiator is because his strength and durability are directly linked to his confidence and both appear to increase at the same rate. The stronger he the more durable he gets.

8. Hulk: probably
9. Thanos: I honestly don't know, it could go either way.
10. Drax: probably

h1a8
Originally posted by Galan007
confused The last bit doesn't make sense.

If Superman were to strike an object with such force that it broke his hand, it would mean that his strength overcame his durability. It obviously would not mean that his durability overcame his strength, otherwise his hand wouldn't have been injured. No, the object they broke their hand on had the same durability as them. So their durability overcame their durability lol which makes no sense.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.