Regarding titles of magicians.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Astner
So I use the little spare time I have at the moment to do some research regarding various aspects of my work of fiction.

And I have always been interested in the title of arch-mage.

Now, what I've found out is that Merlin, as well, is a title -- and not a name -- originating from the Middle English and means eagle. Supposedly it's a title like Lion.

My question is, would it be odd if it was used as a title alongside arch-mage?

Barker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clich%C3%A9

Thoren
I was half expecting that link to be action=logout

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Astner
So I use the little spare time I have at the moment to do some research regarding various aspects of my work of fiction.

And I have always been interested in the title of arch-mage.

Now, what I've found out is that Merlin, as well, is a title -- and not a name -- originating from the Middle English and means eagle. Supposedly it's a title like Lion.

My question is, would it be odd if it was used as a title alongside arch-mage?
IIRC, Merlin's original name was "Myrdin" or something along those lines but the author of the popular King Arthur story changed it to Merlin because the original name sounded too close to the French word for shit.

Astner
Originally posted by Omega Vision
IIRC, Merlin's original name was "Myrdin" or something along those lines but the author of the popular King Arthur story changed it to Merlin because the original name sounded too close to the French word for shit.
Myrddin Wyllt is not the magician figure of Arthurian legend.

Some would argue that Merlin was a name inspired by Myraddin while others -- like Marion Zimmer Bradley -- would argue that it's a title, based off of the Middle English word for eagle.

siriuswriter
Like all decisions in personal writing, you'll have to choose which you like the best, or maybe mix a bunch of origin stories up that make sense to you.

Astner
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Like all decisions in personal writing, you'll have to choose which you like the best, or maybe mix a bunch of origin stories up that make sense to you.
That much is obvious. Though in general you want to integrate familiar elements and concepts to avoid alienating your readers. But at the same time you don't want to "borrow" too much, because you want it to have its own identity.

Regardless I've come up with another name for the title that sounds better in my mind.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.