Is this a cheesy concept?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Astner
An elf exiled to a realm of darkness, and manages to survive for centuries without the use of sight. When he emerges from this realm, he finds a witch and trades his eyes for a bow that never misses.

Where does this character fit it? Well he's suppose to be a character of child stories -- think Baba Yaga -- to keep eleven children from venturing too deep into the wood.

I came up with this idea yesterday and I'd like to get some input, because I'm a bit unsure as to whether this is a bit too much. Give me your two cents.

Omega Vision
There's no such thing as a concept that can't be turned into a good story.

That being said there are some concepts that are less practicable than others.

What you really need to ask yourself is what this character wants before you worry about the setting and the premise. If you have a good character with a direction that's compelling then a good plot should follow.

Of course that's the Literary Fiction angle...from a Genre Fiction angle just start writing and see if the story is cool/makes sense.

Astner
Originally posted by Omega Vision
There's no such thing as a concept that can't be turned into a good story.
That depends on the definition of what it means to retain a concept.

What you really need to ask yourself is what this character wants before you worry about the setting and the premise. If you have a good character with a direction that's compelling then a good plot should follow.
This is not intended to be a character that would be part of the greater scheme of things. The story is low-fantasy, elves are rare, and elves with magic weaponry are stuff of legends.

I've more detailed characters and arcs planned out, but I'll withhold them for the sakes of spoiling it.

Of course that's the Literary Fiction angle...from a Genre Fiction angle just start writing and see if the story is cool/makes sense.
Yes, but I was hoping for some detailed input.

siriuswriter
I think it's pretty original to have a character struck with blindness. Then you have to use their other senses to describe what they're feeling, as sight is obviously the easiest thing to describe.

Using an elf as a character might be a little unoriginal - you mention that the character has to mind eleven children. I would make the character something that has experience minding kids - in fairy tales or fables, I've seemed to have noticed that a hedgehog is a kind of motherly creature. Or a bear.

But if you don't want to use an animal, I would try to think it out with a human. A teenaged archer? Plenty of room for flaws, plenty of room for virtues, having been 'lost in the woods' himself, he would be eager to keep the children out as well. You could turn this into a drama, a legend of a hero Because without eyes you must trust instinct, gut feelings, faith, etc.

I think this it the beginning of a great story, especially if you try to plan the whole thing rather than just using the starting materials to just begin.

Good luck!

Astner
Thanks for the input, I'll drop this character.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Astner
That depends on the definition of what it means to retain a concept.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

If it's just a background character then I can only ask exactly what purpose the character would serve. If it's intended to be something fantastic/legendary within the story's context then "cheesy" might be the way to go.

Until I see what you've actually written it's impossible to say whether the concept works or not.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Astner
Thanks for the input, I'll drop this character.

Ugh, I hate to be responsible for a character killing! Just make sure you were thinking your own thoughts too!

ETA. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that you want a serious discussion about. I'm a rabid reader, all kinds of fiction. I've written a few of my own things too, so I'm a lot more confident with my decisions.

starlock
I really like the concept allot, i would not drop the character totally.

Quincy
sounds like a fairy tale to me

Jim Colyer
Astner,

The plot seems a bit far-fetched as I am not much of a fantasy buff. It seems derived from movies of the previous decade.

Jim Colyer

Astner
Originally posted by Jim Colyer
Astner,

The plot seems a bit far-fetched as I am not much of a fantasy buff. It seems derived from movies of the previous decade.

Jim Colyer
It's not. But it was intended to have a very nostalgic fantasy-like touch to it. That said the idea is dropped.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.