Reapers invade Warhammer 40K

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nibedicus
The Reapers (see: Mass Effect) invade the realm of the Space Marine (see: Dawn of War)!!

Can they defeat:

-The Empire of Man
-The Tyranids
-The Necrons

Their fleets battle above a ravaged Saturn-sized planet with an Earth-like atmosphere, topography and gravity. Their land forces land on opposite parts of the planet and meet in the middle for an epic war!!

WH40K races and Reapers are allowed all the resources currently available to them (for the Tyranid's sake, whatever resources that they have currently been able to bring to bear against the empire of man and the other races-resource books/novels included).

Peach
Edit: Never mind, forgot a rule change we made stick out tongue

BloodRain
^Lol.

The only thing I know about the Mass Effect verse in combat is some bullet with the force 30 kilotons of TNT. If that's in any way comparable to Reapers then they'd probably win.

TheGoldenSpy
I don't know man but reapers are scary mother effers.

FinalAnswer
An decent-sized Imperial fleet would destroy the entire Reaper race.

NemeBro
The Reapers would be such a laughably insignifigant threat to 40k. This isn't even funny.

The only race they might have a chance of beating is the Tau.

Any decently sized Necron Empire could solo the entire Reaper race. The Necrons are much more advanced than the Reapers, have similar FTL capabilities, much greater firepower, faster non-FTL ships, more durable ships, they really hold most advantages.

There are handheld Necron weapons that could destroy a Reaper.

Like a handheld device called a Tachyon Arrow. It fires a little shard of metal at faster than the speed of light with enough force to punch holes through mountains.

Nibedicus
Aren't there like tens of thousands of reapers? Seemed like it in the ending of ME2. Current Imperial fleet doesn't have that many large ships does it?

Kelley2011
You can search other topic to get the answers.http://forexjobs.info/g.gif

NemeBro
"Large" is relative.

Smaller ships in an Imperial fleet are about three kilometers long.

50% longer than a Reaper.

At their largest, they are IIRC 11 kilometers long standard.

Necron ships are even bigger. There have been at least two Necron starships the size of planets. The World Engine alone would be immune to all Reaper weaponry, and has the firepower to glass the surface of planets casually.

jalek moye
Also the Turian military was effectively holding there own against the Reapers, losing yes but they were fighting back and holding on. It was taking them months to take it. Was estimated it would take them atleast a century to take down ME galaxy. Can't see Warhammer taking anywhere near that long.

Nibedicus
But I think that's due to the reapers spreading themselves thin to make sure none of the other races manage to escape. From the game, it looks like they attack from all sides of the galaxy, closing in on the middle.

My info on WH40K is not all that complete, I only read a few novels and base my ideas on the WH40k wiki, but it doesn't look like the Imperial Navy has thousands of ships. Several dozen (less than a hundred) per sector. How many sectors does the empire have?

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nibedicus
But I think that's due to the reapers spreading themselves thin to make sure none of the other races manage to escape. From the game, it looks like they attack from all sides of the galaxy, closing in on the middle.

My info on WH40K is not all that complete, I only read a few novels and base my ideas on the WH40k wiki, but it doesn't look like the Imperial Navy has thousands of ships. Several dozen (less than a hundred) per sector. How many sectors does the empire have?

The Imperium has at least a million worlds.

Think about that.

Rogue Gladiator
This is a spite thread. A severe spite thread. Average WH40K statistics are superior to Saxtonian Star Wars, which are in turn at least six orders of magnitude beyond Mass Effect's.

jalek moye

My info on WH40K is not all that complete, I only read a few novels and base my ideas on the WH40k wiki, but it doesn't look like the Imperial Navy has thousands of ships. Several dozen (less than a hundred) per sector. How many sectors does the empire have? Well aside from the Imperium of Man having alot more planets they also have much better ships and weapons then the Turians, whose military took down lots of reapers both on the air and on the ground.

The asari were actually beating the Reapers for a while according to the Thessia codex entry, it's just the reaper population was too high for them. And bow for all their advanced tech the Asari have a tiny army. So imagine what a much larger much stronger force whose people won't be intimidated to fight will do.

NemeBro

My info on WH40K is not all that complete, I only read a few novels and base my ideas on the WH40k wiki, but it doesn't look like the Imperial Navy has thousands of ships. Several dozen (less than a hundred) per sector. How many sectors does the empire have? They would have to spread themselves thin to mount any sort of offensive on the Imperium alone, let alone the Imperium plus the countless Hive Fleets plus the Necron Empires (There are actually even more Tomb Worlds than there are Imperial planets).

In space or on ground, 40k wins.

Nibedicus
It's not a combined fight. It's if the reapers can beat each of the listed groups individually. :P

Trying to read thru the WH40k wiki entries, stats aren't clear on the size of the imperial fleets. But I remember reading the Ultramarine novels, the imperial fleets that was deployed against the Tyranids as written on the novels aren't nearly as impressive as what I'm hearing here. Or did I misinterpret it? sad

Daviss
I'm a bit late to this thread but I thought this was a pretty cool topic being a big fan of both games. I think its pretty fair to say that any of the races in 40k would make pretty quick work of the reapers. In ME the turian fleet had about 36 capital ships and were the strongest fleet in the galaxy- and the combime galactic fleet went toe to toe with the reapers at the end of the game to at least some success- like someone posted prior the imperium has a million worlds at least so pretty obvious they'd be rocking a crap load more than 36 capital ships. On the ground Sheppard was pretty bad ass but Space marines are another story all together and there are a lot of them. Anyway the reapers might have a chance against Tyranida since the Nids m.o. Is consumption of bio-mass an what not. In ME's defence their concepts are a lot closer to the sciences we understand than 40k's are.

StealthRanger
Seeing as this was bumped...

vs Imperium of Man: Reapers gets raped at either stage of the IoM's existence
vs Necrons: Reapers get raped before they know whats happening
vs Tyranids: 'Nids curbstomp, but it takes a while since they're painfully slow

ScreamPaste
The Tyranids have scoured every scrap of usable nutrients and biomass including the atmosphere from entire planets in less than a week. :/ Slow they are not.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/ShinTwist_ScreamPaste/planeteaten.jpg

Nibedicus
I've read like 20 WH40k novels (mostly thru Omnibus sets w/c includes: the Dan Abnett war books) already, I have to seriously say that I've yet to see the "sheer power" that the Imperial Navy has vs what the Reapers have shown in game. :P

Not trolling, genuinely curious where I can books that showcase it a little better.

FinalAnswer
So, yeah, 40k ships can take and lay out firepower going into the giga/tera/petatons.

A dozen or so ships would stomp the Reapers.

ScreamPaste
There are also the Tyranid hive ships that are just giant aliens which physically rip such cruisers apart and things.

ScreamPaste
Trying to find an online citation of Imperial firepower. mmm

Based
Originally posted by BloodRain
^Lol.

The only thing I know about the Mass Effect verse in combat is some bullet with the force 30 kilotons of TNT. If that's in any way comparable to Reapers then they'd probably win.

Lolno. The 30 tons quote is the main gun of a Reaper ship. Not a bullet. I give the Reapers 30 seconds before they regret going to 40k. What a spite.

ArtificialGlory
You need to put something/someone with more balls than Reapers against 40K.

Tzeentch._
Like the UNSC from Halo.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Like the UNSC from Halo.

I don't think they've got enough balls.

Tzeentch._
Too much, even!

FinalAnswer
Like the UNSC from Halo.

Cain beats the UNSC in a sword duel.

Tzeentch._
Cain's a fictional character.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by FinalAnswer

Tzeentch._
But Cain's a fictional character.

FinalAnswer

Nephthys
C-C-C-COMBOBREAKER!

Tzeentch._
But, Cain is a fictional character.

NemeBro
I've read like 20 WH40k novels (mostly thru Omnibus sets w/c includes: the Dan Abnett war books) already, I have to seriously say that I've yet to see the "sheer power" that the Imperial Navy has vs what the Reapers have shown in game. :P

Not trolling, genuinely curious where I can books that showcase it a little better. I can provide information on much, specifically, Necron technology.

First, the World Engine.

"The World Engine's arrival in the Vidar sub-sector took the
Imperium completely by surprise. Even now it is unknown if
the World Engine was a Necron Tombworld mobilised by
arcane technology, or merely a starship of planetary
proportions constructed in the darkness between the stars.
By the time the World Engine's gauss projectors had scoured
all life from the agrarian worlds of Gaios Prime and Gaios
Tertio, all speculation as to its origins was abandoned - only
its demise mattered."

It was a starship the size of a planet, that could reap all life from two solar systems in a short time.

"The entire Vidar sector fleet and no less than fifteen Space
Marine task forces, including elements from the
Ultramarines, Astral Knights, Invaders and Aurora Chapters,
opposed the World Engine as it reaped a bloody harvest
from planet after planet. Yet not even the mightiest of
Mankind's weapons could break the World Engine's
shielding. A dozen sorties were launched, twelve attempts to
overwhelm the World Engine with sheer valour and
firepower, yet all the Imperial fleet had to show for its pains
were a string of destroyed and crippled ships, and millions of
casualties. Worse still, direct assaults seemed impossible.
Drop Pods and boarding torpedoes could not penetrate the
World Engine's shields, and teleport beams targeted onto its
surface lost all coherency. After two full Terminator squads
from the Invaders Chapter were lost in this manner, further
attempts were forbidden."

The full might of a whole sector's fleet and fifteen Space Marine task forces could not penetrate its shields. All of these ships can turn continents to ash, or render planets barren. Some could destroy them entirely.

Both quotes are from the Space Marines codex, page I forget stfu.

Now, Iori Delta Tove.

"774.M41_The Impossible Planet
An explorator fleet locates the planet designated Iori Delta Tove, a world that had long ago passed into legend for its improbable ability to move between stars at will. Wherever the world appears, strange happenings occur: memories change, ancient scrolls rewrite themselves and planets shift in their orbit - almost as if history is being rewritten. Believing Iori Delta Tove to be somehow linked with the denizens of the Warp, the Inquisition instruct the Grey Knights to investigate. Three squads and a strike cruiser under the command of Grand Master Mordrak are dispatched. Making planetfall, the Grey Knights discover that the world is indeed tied up with otherwordly machinations, but not those of Daemons. The entire planet is an ancient Necron machine, and its inhabitants swiftly awaken to confront the intruders.
The Grey Knights fight valiantly, seeking to destroy whatever technology drives the planet's peculiar power. For a short time, the Space Marines have the upper hand, but when mysterious equipment failures begin to occur, Mordrak revises the scale of his plans. Guided by the instincts of Master Armourer Torvin, the Grey Knights fight their way to a central control complex. As his Battle-Brothers fend off the whirring constructs that emerge from the building's walls, Mordrak mines several critical systems with meltabombs, which detonate moments after the Grey Knights teleport back to their strike cruiser. Iori Delta Tove vanishes once more, but whether it has been destroyed or merely travelled to a new location is impossible to determine." - Codex: Grey Knights (5th Edition), Pg. 14 - Deeds of Legend

Another planet-sized ship, one that can actually rewrite history, while not even awake.

Now for tachyon arrows.

"Tachyon Arrows are wrist-mounted energy weapons used by Necrons. When activated, it transmutes a sliver of inert metal into an unstoppable thunderbolt capable of piercing a mountain"
- Necron 5e codex, page 82

The Tachyon Arrow operates on a similar principle to Mass Effect weaponry, in that it fires a tiny sliver of metal, but at an incredibly high speed. The Tachyon Arrow however is much more powerful than any handheld Mass Effect Accelerator, and stronger even than at least most Dreadnoughts, based on their yield being three times that of the Hiroshima Bomb (Which can't pierce a mountain).

Robtard

Master Chief buries an energy sword in Cain's ass; likely while Cain's running away.

NemeBro
Cain has fought Berzerkers in martial combat.

So no actually.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Robtard
Master Chief buries an energy sword in Cain's ass; likely while Cain's running away.

If Cain runs away, it will inevitably end with Jurgen turning Chief into a puddle of molten slag.

Robtard
Originally posted by NemeBro
Cain has fought Berzerkers in martial combat.

So no actually.

Master Chief > any variant of Space Marine with the possible exception of the high-end guys.

So yes actually.

NemeBro
Master Chief > any variant of Space Marine with the possible exception of the high-end guys.

So yes actually. Master Chief is class 2, lol.

A Berzerker would romp him in melee.

Power Armour also makes his suit look like a tin can.

Robtard
If Cain runs away, it will inevitably end with Jurgen turning Chief into a puddle of molten slag.

If? It ends with Cain ordering Jurgen to fetch that energy sword out of his ass and them driving away as fast as possible.

FinalAnswer
If? It ends with Cain ordering Jurgen to fetch that energy sword out of his ass and them driving away as fast as possible.

Nah.

Chief can not hope to defeat the might of his and Jurgen's Plot Fu.

Robtard
Master Chief is class 2, lol.

A Berzerker would romp him in melee.

Power Armour also makes his suit look like a tin can.

It's not just a matter of brute strength you gassy git. Elite Brutes and Hunters are vastly stronger.

A Berzerker would never make contact with the Master Chief in melee and it'd just be a matter of time before Chief picked his ass apart.

'Bigger = Better' matters when it comes to dick size; not here.

NemeBro
It's not just a matter of brute strength you gassy git. Elite Brutes and Hunters are vastly stronger.

A Berzerker would never make contact with the Master Chief in melee and it'd just be a matter of time before Chief picked his ass apart.

Bigger = better matters when it comes to dick size; not here. And a Space Marine is stronger than both, barring maybe the Hunter, while also being fast enough to fight faster than beyond-human reaction-times and perceptions can react to (As seen in Prospero Burns), and durable enough to withstand orbital bombardment, or an armour-piercing rocket to the face.

A Berzerker is bigger, stronger, comparable in speed, but above all else, much more durable.

Also a better fighter but hey.

Robtard
You realize that I know very little about WH 40K and up until today I had no idea who this Cain fellow was.

NemeBro
I also realise that, based on you bringing up dick size out of nowhere, you are insecure with the size of your own dick.

Robtard
I also realise that, based on you bringing up dick size out of nowhere, you are insecure with the size of your own dick.

If I had said something like "size doesn't matter, it's how you use it", or some other line tictac-dicks love to spout, you'd have a point.

Concession accepted.

NemeBro
No, you said that to give off the implication that you are packing, when you clearly are not.

What a queer.

Robtard
No, you said that to give off the implication that you are packing, when you clearly are not.

What a queer.

LoL, no. Just stating fact. Listen though, I'm not Dadudemon where you can "trick" me into sending you nudes by trying to belittle my peen.

Half-queers don't get to call other people full on queers, it's in the rule book.

NemeBro
Pussy.

StealthRanger
lol @ MC beating any Space Marine in combat

He's only like, a class 2 while Space Marines with their low end feats even are like Class 10 ish

Tzeentch._
Master Chief would kill several Space Marines in combat.

ares834
Indeed. Give him a combat knife and he will be able to take out even Kaldor Draigo.

Azar'zer
I think that i saw a Dawn of War 2 trailer or some shit when space marines got hit by lightning, They died. a incineration cannon is enough to take on 10 space marines.

FinalAnswer
Do you know what a Farseer is?

Oldenheimer1913
Originally posted by Azar'zer
I think that i saw a Dawn of War 2 trailer or some shit when space marines got hit by lightning, They died. a incineration cannon is enough to take on 10 space marines.

I just joined this forum to add to this wonderful discussion, particularly to poke at your argument.

The chick that shot lightning was a Farseer, basically the most powerful Eldar class in their society. That lightning could fry damn near anyone, including basically any one of Halo's Spartans. At least, I assume you're coming from the Halo fanbase, I had to google incineration cannon and the first link that popped up was a Halo weapon with that nickname.

The helmetless Marine that could take it and kill her was fairly high rank and experienced; probably blocked out the pain with a combination of defensive Wargear, stonger armor than a standard Marine, intense hatred, and sheer stubbornness. Even then, from his panting, he probably still took the blow pretty hard. Some of his less important organs were probably fried and he'll have to visit an Apothecary at some point to get them good as new. Of course that last point is speculative; he really just had to survive for the sake of being a major character and the star of the trailer.

Now then, back to the incineration cannon; its definitely feasible that the weapon could take down 10 marines, the wiki entry for it stated it could take down Scorpions and Wraiths in one hit. Its definitely a powerhouse. Only problem is that its of Forerunner/Promethean design, so its not like a spartan would just have it sitting around on hand. Its a pretty exclusive gun. But that aside, I saw some MP gameplay of a person using it and it shoots fairly fast, but its very hindered in ammo.

Now think about this. The standard issue weapon of the Space Marines is the famous Bolter gun. Every single bullet fired by that thing is, I believe a .75 caliber (could be off by a bit, but its around there) self-propelled incendiary round. Basically, its like an RPG with a machine gun's fire rate and clip size. The spartan using his incinerator cannon would be able to fire off one shot before having to reload, which would open him up to a Space Marine's bolter. It'd tear him to shreds. His one shot probably wouldn't hit 10 marines at once. Its got a large blast zone, but they are not going to sit around in a tight cluster for a spartan to take potshots at. After the spartan was taken care off, the space marine(s) would definitely not leave that lying around, they'd immediately destroy it, or try to. That way, no one else would be able to grab it and use it against them again.

ArtificialGlory
Do you know what a Farseer is?

Someone who dies from a single, half-assed chainsword strike.

Oldenheimer1913
Originally posted by ares834
Indeed. Give him a combat knife and he will be able to take out even Kaldor Draigo.

I'm not sure if posting links is acceptable on this forum or not so I won't, but might I direct you to a video entitled "The Trials of Draigo"? Draigo would simply laugh as the combat knife clinked against him, doing absolutely no damage and then go snort some more warp dust and crush MC into a bloody puddle.

Of course, that's in complete jest. Draigo's got much more experience fighting much more horrific enemies than the Chief will ever face, but comparing Spartan physical traits and Space Marine physical traits, a standard Spartan would probably be fairly matched against a standard Space Marine in hand to hand. Knowing Chief's career record and talent, he could definitely fight for a good while with Draigo unarmed (and I count a combat knife as unarmed because it would just be a waste of time, the blade would just get snapped at some point; he's better off just doing normal melee) considering they're both powerhouse veterans and it'd be anyone's guess as to who would win.

As long as guns/melee weapons don't get involved, because 40k weapons, even just the Imperiums (not even counting the Necrons and their gauss weapons and insane geometry-warping technology) have a nasty tendency of outdoing just about any other Universe's weaponry in terms of sheer brutality and effectiveness. The only reason they appear less notable in their own universe is because, well, arms race rules. When one group introduces a weapon or device, other groups upgrade their own technology or even just their tactics to retaliate. That's the conclusion I've come to anyway. But I digress.

ScreamPaste
Links are not only acceptable, but videos are commonly used as debating evidence.

Not sure a non-canon video would be any good, though. stick out tongue

Oldenheimer1913
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Someone who dies from a single, half-assed chainsword strike.

That's really just plot convenience. In fact, most of that trailer is plot convenience. I mean, would run too long if they did each death realistically and calculated how many hits it would take for each particular Eldar unit to kill a space marine or vice versa with the in-game variables and rules. Normal Farseers don't go down nearly that easily. Unless its a C.S. Goto story. Then their intensely gory, agonizing death is described in extreme detail until they finally die after about 200 pages. Only certain people will get that joke.

Oldenheimer1913
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Links are not only acceptable, but videos are commonly used as debating evidence.

Not sure a non-canon video would be any good, though. stick out tongue

Good to know, thank you for telling me.

Tzeentch._
John's armor has taken point-blank blasts from A2G missiles fired by jet fighters, and the armor wasn't pierced. In addition to that he's survived falling through the orbit of a planet and hitting the ground unscathed twice. His armor is stated to be all but invulnerable to UNSC small-arms fire, which includea sniper rifles that can pierce tanks.

Not sure why a .75 caliber round would be much of a threat to him.

A single strike from a chainsword would kill a farseer easily. Eldar are about as fragile as a human is. They rely on speed and finesse, not durability.

Oldenheimer1913
Now then, I've been off-topic long enough and feel its about time for me to talk about my feelings on reapers vs 40k.

Reapers Vs Imperium:

The Reapers would kill billions upon billions of Guardsmen. Then, the minute they look away and look back, there will be an exponentially more massive gathering of guardsmen standing on the bodies of the those who were slain. They'd just give up and leave at some point, realizing that it would take their whole 50,000 year sleep cycle to even think of obliterating all sentient life in the galaxy.

On a more serious note, the Imperium has thousands of ships, and each have enough incredible weaponry and are large enough that they could just slaughter the Reapers like no one's business. I mean most, if not all, Imperial vessels are equipped to bring down the hammer of destruction that is Exterminatus; the complete wiping out of all life on a planet in mere hours with an unbelievable barrage of firepower. Really, the only advantage the Reapers have are their numbers. Imperial vessels are rather spread out, only a few dispatched to each sector of the galaxy.

But, considering how the Reapers work, it seems to me like they all split up to start their total genocide and each individual Reaper would get their own little area to raze, thus ensuring no survivors. This would mean their numbers would definitely even out with the Imperium's because there would only be so many invading each sector. They'd put up a good fight, but they'd eventually get cut down the by the Imperium, but not without taking a shitload of Imperial ships down with them.

Were Imperial forces to infiltrate individual reapers and treat them Space Hulk style, they'd blow it wide open before it would be able to indoctrinate them. Husks and other Reaper infantry (I never played ME3- I have it but just haven't gotten around to playing- but I've read a tiny bit about the new Reaper lore. However, I don't know all the ground units they have.) wouldn't be much harder than the normal lot Space Marines have to deal with. Seeing how easy it is for Shepard to dispatch them with ME weapons, it'd probably be a breeze, honestly.

Reapers Vs Tyranids:

The Reapers would die. End of story. Why? Well, the Tyranids are either coming into the 40k galaxy because they already stripped it of all organic matter (a feat not even the Reapers are capable of in an effective manner) or they're running from even more formidable badasses in their own galaxy. The Tyranid fleets are so utterly massive that to show the Tyranids touching down in Dawn of War 2, there was just a massive hundred-mile wide pillar of oscillating tyranid bodies landing on the planet.

Through sheer numbers alone, their massive living ships would outnumber the Reapers a quadrillion to one (A rough guesstimate and probably an embellishment, but there's more Tyranids than anyone could possibly handle. Only reason they haven't totally invaded and obliterated the galaxy is because they're only testing the waters with their scouting parties (and because gw just doesn't want to leave the status quo and advance the story) but their main forces are still brooding outside the galaxy, waiting for the perfect time to make a full invasion and just annihilate everything.

Reapers Vs. Necrons:

The Necrons are arguably much more advanced than the Reapers. While the Reapers have an ancient goal of culling sentient life, the Necrons are equally ancient, but have immense control over physics and geometry. Their structures are known to be very small on the outside, but impossibly massive on the inside. In terms of building structure, they're basically on terms with Tardus from Dr. Who.

Their gauss weaponry is incredibly powerful as well. One of the most advanced armories in the 40k universe, save for maybe the Tau, though I'd personally rank them second to the Necrons. Their space ships are also some of the most formidable of any race. At least one of them has been the size of a planet. Imagine that for a second. A planet-sized spaceship with enough weaponry to wipe out all life in two systems in very little time. Going against that alone, the Reapers would be pretty disadvantaged. The odds are highly stacked against them, especially if -every- Necron tomb world across the galaxy woke up simultaneously and they all converged to fight the Reapers. Know what, scratch that, they'd have no chance at all if that last thing were to happen. No one would.

Last, the Necrons are backed up by gods. Not just percieved beliefs. Actual gods. Beings that lived on the surface of stars and devoured solar energy for sustenance since who knows how far back. They discovered them, learned how to communicate with them, and coaxed them to transfer their bodies to living metal skeletons and walk among them. These gods, called the C'tan, are immensely powerful. However, I've never really come across Necron lore, since I don't play that army in the Tabletop Game, and so do not know the specifics on their power. But if they're anything like the Chaos gods, they're definitely something to fear.

So yeah, there's my take on it.

ArtificialGlory
Reapers vs. the Imperium isn't much of a fight. Now Imperium vs the Idiran Empire... now that was a good fight. I pleasured myself immensely to that fight.

Oldenheimer1913
John's armor has taken point-blank blasts from A2G missiles fired by jet fighters, and the armor wasn't pierced. In addition to that he's survived falling through the orbit of a planet and hitting the ground unscathed twice.

Not sure why a .75 caliber round eould be much of a threat to him.

Last time I checked, a direct rocket-launcher hit or point blank grenade explosion was an instant-kill. I go off the games, since Halo novels are a fun source of extra information, but not at all relevant to the in-game variables. Game novelists sometimes embellish the actions in their novels to the point of insanity (See: Matt Ward, king of lore-rape), but, if that happened in Halo 4, then my apologies, as I have not yet played it. And if it happened in a cutscene, well that's just plot convenience. Unless he had that bubble shield thing, or the lockdown move from Reach, I really doubt he'd have been able to realistically survive those missile impacts. As for the planet crashing, I just counted that as plot convenience as well. If you're telling me this guy can survive crashing to ground from low orbit, but when the guy falls off the side of a cliff and off the map, going down flailing to his death with a restart to last checkpoint, well it is absolutely, undeniably plot convenience and embellishment and nothing else.

Anyway, considering the self-propelled explosive rounds found in Bolters are in essence bullet-shaped rockets that aren't quite as effective as rockets proper, but still have enough power behind them to turn the extremely muscular members of the Ork race to a bloody mist on death, the high rate of fire is the part Chief would have to be scared about. Going off H3 damage rules, spartans could be killed in four pulls of the trigger by a Battle Rifle. Battle Rifles are nowhere near as brutally powerful as Bolters and are only semi-auto while Bolters are full-auto. Like I said in another post though, Spartans could definitely go head to head with Space Marines in unarmed combat; they've got similar armor, similar implants that render them post-human supersoldiers, and have both been trained from a young age to be the best of the best, the most elite living weapons ever crafted by Humanity.

But when it comes down to 40k or Halo as far as weaponry goes? 40k. Nothing besides maybe the Spartan Laser or even that new Incinerator Cannon; basically the number one insta-kill weapons in Halo can really hold a candle to the shitstorm of over-the-top guns and devices that 40k brings to the table. Halo is moderately realistic as far as its guns go. The thing is, though, that it takes place only a few centuries after today, whereas every race in 40k has literally had millenia to perfect the art of violent, bloody death and wanton destruction. There's just no comparing in that regard.

FinalAnswer
A single strike from a chainsword would kill a farseer .

No it wouldn't lol.

Farseers wear rune armor made from wraithbone. A single swing from a chainsword shouldn't have been able to bring down that Farseer as easily as it did.

NemeBro
Show me the Farseer being killed.

ArtificialGlory
_QmsNZ6fj3Q

Azar'zer

Tzeentch._
No it wouldn't lol.

Farseers wear rune armor made from wraithbone. A single swing from a chainsword shouldn't have been able to bring down that Farseer as easily as it did. Chanswords go through rune armor without too much difficulty. What fluff are you getting this from?

Originally posted by Oldenheimer1913
Last time I checked, a direct rocket-launcher hit or point blank grenade explosion was an instant-kill. I go off the games, since Halo novels are a fun source of extra information, but not at all relevant to the in-game variables. Game novelists sometimes embellish the actions in their novels to the point of insanity (See: Matt Ward, king of lore-rape), but, if that happened in Halo 4, then my apologies, as I have not yet played it. And if it happened in a cutscene, well that's just plot convenience. Unless he had that bubble shield thing, or the lockdown move from Reach, I really doubt he'd have been able to realistically survive those missile impacts. As for the planet crashing, I just counted that as plot convenience as well. If you're telling me this guy can survive crashing to ground from low orbit, but when the guy falls off the side of a cliff and off the map, going down flailing to his death with a restart to last checkpoint, well it is absolutely, undeniably plot convenience and embellishment and nothing else.

Anyway, considering the self-propelled explosive rounds found in Bolters are in essence bullet-shaped rockets that aren't quite as effective as rockets proper, but still have enough power behind them to turn the extremely muscular members of the Ork race to a bloody mist on death, the high rate of fire is the part Chief would have to be scared about. Going off H3 damage rules, spartans could be killed in four pulls of the trigger by a Battle Rifle. Battle Rifles are nowhere near as brutally powerful as Bolters and are only semi-auto while Bolters are full-auto. Like I said in another post though, Spartans could definitely go head to head with Space Marines in unarmed combat; they've got similar armor, similar implants that render them post-human supersoldiers, and have both been trained from a young age to be the best of the best, the most elite living weapons ever crafted by Humanity.

But when it comes down to 40k or Halo as far as weaponry goes? 40k. Nothing besides maybe the Spartan Laser or even that new Incinerator Cannon; basically the number one insta-kill weapons in Halo can really hold a candle to the shitstorm of over-the-top guns and devices that 40k brings to the table. Halo is moderately realistic as far as its guns go. The thing is, though, that it takes place only a few centuries after today, whereas every race in 40k has literally had millenia to perfect the art of violent, bloody death and wanton destruction. There's just no comparing in that regard. I'm not sure why you would want to make this gameplay-centered. In 40K tabletop, terminators can be killed by guardsmen in melee combat. In Dawn of War, it takes dozens of rounds from a tactical marine squad to drop a single model from a Hormagaunt squad.

In any case, gameplay isn't considered canon here because game mechanics take precedence over lore for the sake of balance. Canon descriptions of the sniper rifle outright state that it can punch a hole through a tank. Multiplayer would be unplayable if the gun could actually do that, though.

Spartan armor is impervious to UNSC small-arms fire. Yet Halo MP wouldn't be much fun if everyone was near-invulnerable, would it?

FinalAnswer
Chanswords go through rune armor without too much difficulty. What fluff are you getting this from?

The fluff that says how wraithbone is harder then plasteel and adamantium.

And the one that says how rune armor is further enchanted to repel enemy strikes, even that of lascannons.

mechagoomba
its enhanced with psychic shielding but the wraithbone part of the rune armor is just a breastplate

the chainsword hits the waist I believe which should be unarmored since the farseers wraithbone breastplate is just a breastplate which doesnt really cover the lower part of the body

that only leaves the psychic shielding and I would say that was a bit disrupted by how hard she was trying to kill the captain with her terrible warpcraft

still a bit unbelievable but im an eldar fanboy so yeah

Oldenheimer1913

I'm not sure why you would want to make this gameplay-centered. In 40K tabletop, terminators can be killed by guardsmen in melee combat. In Dawn of War, it takes dozens of rounds from a tactical marine squad to drop a single model from a Hormagaunt squad.

In any case, gameplay isn't considered canon here because game mechanics take precedence over lore for the sake of balance. Canon descriptions of the sniper rifle outright state that it can punch a hole through a tank. Multiplayer would be unplayable if the gun could actually do that, though.

Spartan armor is impervious to UNSC small-arms fire. Yet Halo MP wouldn't be much fun if everyone was near-invulnerable, would it?

You've made your point, but now that we're going off the lore rather than the game, allow me to do a complete 180 from my previous post and delve a bit further into the workings of the Adeptus Astartes.

Though it is contrary to an earlier point I made to mention, in the lore, Space Marines with a full Geneseed set (the Ultramarine and Dark Angel chapters in particular) do have some immense advantages over spartans. Spartans and Space Marines both get their bones upgraded through ossification of various substances, they both have highly enhanced muscle growth, they both get enhancements to sight and I think there are more physical similarities but I can't think of them.

What Spartans don't have, however, are a menagerie of extra organs that vastly improve their capabilities. First off, a second redundant heart. Not only does it allow Space Marines to survive if they happen to get shot in one of their hearts, but it also boosts blood flow and lets them survive in low-oxygen environments without a helmet. The last bit's not really too much of an improvement, but its still noteworthy. There's also another organ that further enhances the blood's capabilities of carrying oxygen around the body, which allows them to move somewhat faster than a Spartan. To further protect the heart, the enhancements to their skeletal structure also fuses their rib cage together into a single bulletproof shield of interlocked plates. They have another organ that allows wounds to instantly scar over and seal the wound as soon as these "Larraman cells" reach the site of the wound and come into contact with air. In vacuums, however, that might be a problem, I'm not entirely sure.

Then there's another organ that allows Space Marines to operate with no sleep for extended periods of time without suffering from sleep deprivation. It sequentially switches off and on various areas of the brain to simulate sleep on them and allow them to rest without needing the Marine to actually sleep. So they only require 4 hours of sleep at the absolute most, and can operate continuously for maybe two weeks without any sleep at all.

They have an additional stomach chamber which can quarantine poisonous or indigestible food and then neutralize the substance in order to make it safe for the Marine's normal stomach to take in. And then there's another organ that allows Space Marines to absorb the genetic material of whatever creature they eat. The organ then converts this into a set of memories and experiences that the Marine can then use to understand more about the environment and what the creature had been doing prior to its death. It improves their odds of survival on unknown worlds, essentially, though they're pretty well off even without it.

Then there's an additional lung that allows them to breathe in low-oxygen or poisoned atmospheres, as well as underwater. When this second lung set is activated, the normal lungs are closed off to prevent the aforementioned hazards from getting inside. Then their ears get replaced by a newer, superior but otherwise visually identical ear system which makes them immune to dizziness or motion sickness and allows them to filter out or enhance certain sounds.

Then there's an organ that allows space marines to undergo a state of suspended animation either consciously or in response to extreme bodily injury. They can survive in this suspended animation for years; one space marine was recorded to live for over 560 years in that state before being revived. The down side, however, is that they can't turn it off on their own, only chemical therapy or certain other methods can wake them up.

Then they get an organ which allows their sweat glands to secrete a substance that coats their entire bodies and tints their skin to survive high levels of UV radiation, also protecting against other types of radiation as well. Then there's a second kidney that allows them to filter their blood much faster than by default, rendering them immune to most poisons, at the cost of going unconscious in order to circulate the blood through the second kidney fast enough to rid it of the poison.

And then there's an organ that, like the one which darkens the skin, coats the skin in a substance that seals it up and gives it resistance to extreme heat and cold and even complete vacuums. Then there's another organ that enhances a Marine's sense of taste to allow him to identify most common chemicals and even track targets through taste.

They get another implant that allows them to directly interface with their power armor, but Spartans have that too. Still, its noteworthy due to the fact this implant is put directly beneath the skin of the torso in multiple sheets. It then hardens and, after a maturation period, has holes cut into its surface for various neural sensors and interface points to be fitted and used by the Marine's body.

The last organ they get (besides one more that is required to grow the rest, but is eventually harvested to be used in other marines) is a fun one. Its a set of glands in the lower lip that allows them to spit a highly corrosive and extremely deadly poison that can burn through metal if its given enough time. Note that almost all of these organ advantages I've listed are protections the space marines have when they are wearing no armor whatsoever.

And going onto the training of a Space Marine versus a Spartan, even though Spartans start training from age 6 and Space Marines start from 16-18, the Space Marines are usually recruited from the most unforgiving planets possible. Death worlds and Feral worlds are the preferred types of recruitment planets, as anyone who can survive in such conditions is already someone to be reckoned with; further refinement through high risk training only makes them even more formidable.

Besides the initial live experience, Space Marines train for combat four times a day (two practice battles and two firing exercises) every single day when they're not out on a mission. Not only that, but the only meal they're usually allowed to eat is what they kill during the first battle practice of the day. If they can't kill, they don't eat.

Then there's the issue of enemies: the worst thing that a Spartan has ever faced is the Flood, excluding those Prometheans from Halo 4 (Again, have not played it; I've no right to talk about it), which was a hive-mind-based parasite that could overtake any creature of sufficient biomass. They could learn from the memories of their hosts and use any bit of technology those hosts knew how to use. In addition to them, their common enemy throughout the series has always been the Covenant, an empire of religious zealots made up of a diverse group of many various alien races. However, the Covenant are truly just one army, rather than each individual race being counted as one.

However, the Space Marines regularly do battle with the Eldar, the Orks, the Tau Empire, the various forces of Chaos, the Necrons, the Dark Eldar and the Tyranids. All of these races individually vastly outgun and outman the Covenant, and then the Tyranids outgun and outman the Flood sheerly through bio-diversity and the immense scale of their race.

I'm not going to go into detail explaining each one of the mentioned races for the benefit of anyone on here that doesn't know them, but considering the Space Marines can hold their own against all of those incredibly dangerous enemies and that Master Chief is basically the only surviving Spartan left as of Halo 3, there is a big difference in the level of expertise between the two forces. Master Chief is the most exceptional Spartan in existence, but I'd say he's about on level with a veteran Space Marine, but against really high ranking ones, he'd probably have a bit more trouble against them due to how much more experience they have over a standard vet.

That's not even to mention the Adeptus Custodes, the Emperor's bodyguards (literally, lol) who could kick even the greatest Space Marine's ass if it ever came to that, or the Primarchs, who could in turn kick the asses of the greatest members of the Adeptus Custodes. All I'm talking about here are the regular Space Marines, and regardless of what anyone would like to think, they are extremely formidable.

I'd go into MJOLNIR armor and its permutations vs the various iterations of Space Marine armor, and maybe Halo weapons vs 40k weapons, but I've almost hit the character limit with this colossal post and don't want to start and end up running out of space.

Anywho, I'm not by any means a total expert on everything there is to know about the Spartans, but from what I did retain from the Halo lore and what I now know about 40k lore, I am pretty damned sure that Space Marines very much out-soldier most Spartans what with everything I've written above. But regardless of any replies that I get, I'm probably not going to reply back; having so few posts on this forum, I don't enjoy the fact that only one of them is on-topic to the thread. Its a pet-peeve of mine; unless there's something I absolutely need to respond to, this is going to be my last off-topic post for a while.

So I guess that's all. Sorry for the giant post. :<

ScreamPaste
I'm in skype with Tzeentch._, he said 'tl;dr', HE DOESN'T DESERVE YOUR ATTENTION.

Tzeentch._
I'm a 40K fan myself; I've got a pretty good idea of Space Marine strength. stick out tongue

It's because of this knowledge of Space Marines and Spartans that I have the opinion that I have.

Which is that a bolter wouldn't really do anything to Spartan armor/shields. Their strength is comparable, Spartans have superior speed, and their armor has comparable durability.

Give a Spartan a weapon that could actually penetrate Marine armor and there's a very good chance he could kill a marine.

Psykers and the best of the best marines? Probably not. But I could see a Spartan going toe to toe with a random captain.

ScreamPaste
Yeah, this board is actually pretty full of 40k fans who know a lot about the universe.

I disagree with Tzeentch._ on some points, for example if you dropped 300 Master Chief's in Commorragh I doubt it'd go as well as it did when they dropped 300 Space Marines there.

Edit: Tzeentch and I also disagree on Spehss mehreen strength, I maintain they're class 100 based on their feats, he interprets them differently. shrug

StealthRanger
Class 100 is a bit high end ish imho

I'd say at least Class 10 to Class 30 on average given 40K's lore inconsistency

laszers
wtf, all WH40K would have to do is let the orks run their rokks into reapers......GG

also, maybe, just maybe a spartan could go toe to toe with a space marine. NOT A CAPTAIN. a captain would destroy most any spartan, walk up, stab him, tear off his balls and eat them. you know..... the normal stuff.

NemeBro
I'm a 40K fan myself;

Prove this.

Liar

You're a fanboy.

Freefalling shut his armour down, and that is only about 569 kilojouls of kinetic energy at work.

The kinetic energy of the armor-piercing round fired by the assault guns of the ISU-152 tank is like fifty times that. Such a gun is not as powerful as a barrage bomb, which can level multiple city blocks and take out the shields of starships. But Power Armour can withstand it.

So durability is in favor of the Marine.

Titus forcing an Ork cannon to reverse and pushing a several hundred ton artillery shell disagree, as does an Astartes stopping a speeding tank and tossing it. Or a Space Wolf throwing a missile the size of a man with enough force to make it explode. Or Ragnar tearing the hatch off of a Leman Russ tank.

In Battle of the Fang, a single Space Wolf grabs, lifts, wrestles, and kills a four ton superbuffalo thing with his bare hands. He does this wearing a loincloth. It is his hobby. Compared to the Spartan, that can only lift 2,000 pounds outside of armour.

In the Ultramarines novels, an Ultramarine lifts a truck weighing seven tons.

Also, their fists can damage said armour that withstands barrage bombs and other dumb shit.

Crymoar fgt.

Do they? Mach 3,000 attack speed feats disagree.

Already disproved.

Afraid not fgt.

At best, they could take out a random Scout. If they got lucky.

COG Veteran
I haven't done a lot of research into 40K lore but most of it sounds like the stuff of nightmares, this coming from a Mass Effect fan. I think Reapers last a week at most.

ravface110
First of all, the Imperium of Man includes the Space Marines, the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Imperial Guard, and the Inquisition. The Tyranids would do well against Reaper ground forces, but in a war of attrition, especially in space, the Reapers would win since the Tyranids really can't absorb any biomass from the Reapers. Even their infantry are part technology. The Imperium of Man would do very well, they have literally billions of soldiers in the Imperial Guard alone, and the Space Marines are some of the most dangerous military forces in the galaxy. The Necrons would ravage the Reapers. Their infantry, vehicles, and ships all regenerate. Their Gauss weapons rip apart matter on an atomic level, their particle weapons are literally anti-matter contained in energy, and their ship-based weapons are 100% accurate and ignore shielding. They don't even have FTL drives: they have phase drives which let them almost instantly travel from one point in the galaxy to another. Their infantry and vehicles repair themselves even after being destroyed, and they have mastery over the science of time control. Now, they will still suffer losses of a permanent nature (the Reapers aren't pushovers) but the battle is a bit one-sided.

StealthRanger
No. Every race in 40K could sodomise the Reapers and solo ME in space or on ground

Considering ME is a verse that's best firepower is triple digit kilotons

Revanchiste
The Reapers (see: Mass Effect) invade the realm of the Space Marine (see: Dawn of War)!!

Can they defeat:

-The Empire of Man
-The Tyranids
-The Necrons

Their fleets battle above a ravaged Saturn-sized planet with an Earth-like atmosphere, topography and gravity. Their land forces land on opposite parts of the planet and meet in the middle for an epic war!!

WH40K races and Reapers are allowed all the resources currently available to them (for the Tyranid's sake, whatever resources that they have currently been able to bring to bear against the empire of man and the other races-resource books/novels included).

Reaper was defeated by an universe with a very low tech level even the old republic in star war have better tech level... So....

They can use the Necron... Reaper are not stupid enough to use their only chance to win and end this chaos cycle.. The question is CAN THE NECRON WIN??? Well at least they cannot loose.

They may have also the possibility to get the Tyranids on their side but that's an other problem...

Reaper get wrecked badly wreck. XD They cannot solo any faction...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.