Is X-Men: First Class a reboot?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
I've wondered, is XMFC a prequel to the main trillogy, or is it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy?

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
I've wondered, is XMFC a prequel to the main trillogy, or is it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy? Come on! Some one must know the answer to this!

Kazenji
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
I've wondered, is XMFC a prequel to the main trillogy, or is it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy?

If you can't work out that its a prequel..........then i don't know go back to sleep erm

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Kazenji
If you can't work out that its a prequel..........then i don't know go back to sleep erm I know it's a prequels as in it's set before the main trillogy, but I wasnt to know if it like part of the originals, but just set before it, or a complete reboot and nothing to do with the originals; like the new narnia films are nothing to do with the BBC Narnia films. I mean like that. I've heard some people say that it's a complete re-boot.

GonzoMcFonzo
It certianly feels like a reboot. There are several things that don't line up with the trilogy, the problem is they are small enough that it's really hard to say. Like, we see Hank McCoy in X-2 (he's on a tv in the bar where mistique drugs the guard) and he looks like a normal human. Or the fact that in 1st class Magneto has nothing to do with designing or building cerebro, but in X-2 he can manually rearrange it to do hardwire it for normal humans. Or the way Charles didn't seem to have any knowlage of magneto's helmet in the first movie, or of Mystique's abilities. Wouldn't you think if his sister was a shapeshifter who ran off with his arch nemesis, he would've added more protection from that type of infiltration to the mansion?

The problem, as I said, is that none of that is conclusive. I could come up with half a dozen justifications for why those nitpicks don't actually break continuity. In the end, I think it's a question left for the viewer to decide (don't you hate those?)

Edit: actually, as I was writing this post, another, much bigger one came to me: If Erik and Charles parted ways at the end of 1st class, why were they recruiting gene together at the beginning of X-3?

Kazenji
That's the problem with not starting at the very beginning

should've done First Class well first and then go from there.

RE: Blaxican
It's a prequel to X-Men 1&2.

Singer doesn't consider X3 to be canon.

Ingonyama
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

Did Singer have a hand in FC? I never heard anything about him being on the production team at all.

Yeah, Singer was originally the director but stepped down and became the producer and co-writer instead.

ares834
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

That makes sense. I'm assuming he doesn't consider Wolverine Origins to be canon either correct?

The Big O
GAWD, I hope so!

Originally posted by ares834
That makes sense. I'm assuming he doesn't consider Wolverine Origins to be canon either correct? I'm assuming so, yeah.

wasson66
it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy?http://www.infoocean.info/avatar4.jpg

Originally posted by wasson66
it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy?http://www.infoocean.info/avatar4.jpg Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

KCJ506
It's actually a prequel. Vaughn himself has already said that he doesn't care about continuity so much, or about X3 or Wolverine. If it was a different filmverse then why did it have a big round Cerebro, a blue-scaled Mystique, the exact same opening footage from X1, and a cameo by Hugh Jackman?

This is just a prequel with some relaxed continuity, not a "clean slate".

Originally posted by KCJ506
It's actually a prequel. Vaughn himself has already said that he doesn't care about continuity so much, or about X3 or Wolverine. If it was a different filmverse then why did it have a big round Cerebro, a blue-scaled Mystique, the exact same opening footage from X1, and a cameo by Hugh Jackman?

This is just a prequel with some relaxed continuity, not a "clean slate". Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

Ridley_Prime
Even if Singer doesn't consider X3 or Wolverine Origins to be canon to his movies, still doesn't explain why we saw McCoy in human form on that TV in X2 when he already became Beast towards the end of First Class. mmm

(>^^)>
Small continuity flaw, but it's a prequel to the current movies not a reboot, and I really hope they just sorta ignore x-men 3 when they do 4, or at least cyclop's death (I don't like him much but) he's pretty damned important to the x-men and the rough relationship between wolverine and Scotty boy is a huge part of the x-men

DARTH POWER
It was supposed to be a prequel to X1 and X2. But the last line in this article suggests Vaughn might just take it in the direction of a complete reboot for the sequels:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/04/x-men-first-class-sequel-to-begin-filming-in-january

I would actually prefer a reboot. Because it's gna be a class series, and I'd hate for it to be limited to having the events of X1 & X2 dictate where it goes and which characters can be used.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.