Tandiandthe223 -- The Ultimate Wonder Woman Appreciation Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bluewaterrider
So, as I've stated in other threads, I've been impressed, overall, with KMC's "Respect" line, and that since the day I stumbled upon it.

A region where readers can see images of their favorite characters and learn of their often hidden prowess.
Also, a region largely free of the negativity plaguing other comic boards.

A great idea, truly, but I consistently find 2 problems in nearly every KMC thread, no matter how stellar:

1) Seldom, if ever, with reference information good enough for people to actually find the stories featuring these delightful showings

2) Nearly always using an outside Image Host Provider (IHP), setting up the thread for complete collapse in the case the IHP has problems or goes out of business, typically meaning the presence of unwelcome and inappropriate advertising even when the IHP remains stable.

From my own experience, I've seen the weeks of days outage of Picamatic.com about a year or so ago, which completely rendered unviewable several of the "revamped" threads that creators had put so much time into, and I've also seen a catalog's worth of my own collection nulled by ImageHoop.com and AllYouCanUpload.com, respectively, going out of business.

Using several Image Host Providers is the truest guard against this.
The more places information is housed...

Unfortunately, beyond periodically creating and e-mailing myself links, I've found no way to get the cooperation of other people in that kind of digital preservation.

Fortunately, I discovered early on that KMC has its OWN Image Hosting subprogram, and that, small though its capacity per image is, it nonetheless offers the most STABLE viewing option for the forum.

Unless I am greatly mistaken, the only way the Image Hosting of KMC goes out, is if the entirety of the KMC boards goes out.

The last issue, unmentioned above before now, and one I've discussed in only the briefest terms with P.R., is that there currently exists no forum for any character who is not Superman, Batman, Spider-man, or one of the X-men. I'd like to see that changed, if only gradually, and am not-so-secretly hoping that this thread will prove popular enough, eventually, to serve as a springboard.

I've got about 80 to 100 submissions planned, an occasionally edited for family-friendliness series featuring ...

well, you've read the title. Moreover ...

bluewaterrider
Wonder Woman v OMAC, snapshot 2.

bluewaterrider
Throughout this thread, for the first planned 80 to 100 submissions or so, at least, I plan to keep notes to a minimum. But a few comments are in order:

1) Inescapably, Superman and a few other heroes will show in this thread. In Superman's case especially, that cannot really be helped, most people do not know, though I will show a quote from her very creator himself, if requested, that Wonder Woman was DESIGNED to be the answer to Superman and other popular, incredibly strong heroes. She assumes her natural role when she does so; her early adventures, unlike a lot of today's, will confirm this.

2) OMAC, title of the opponent Diana is fighting in this first selection, is a sort of DC equivalent of the mutant-hunting Sentinels of Marvel Comics' X-Men. Just as Sentinels have the technology to contend with or neutralize mutant superpowers, so, too, do OMACs have the power to make themselves powerful enough to give DC metahumans fits.
As shown in this particular scan, they can even give, and DID give, Superman himself serious problems, and I'm told they INSTANTLY shut down a Superman-counterpart called the Eradicator when he went against them. Diana faces several OMAC units during the time of this story arc, and her particular opponent for this showing, she fought despite recent injury, after disabling 2 other units.

3) I showed some of the starting selections of this thread in another thread in a different forum. I'm posting them here, because, even though I felt they were completely appropriate there, several posters thought they were better suited to this locale.

bluewaterrider
Tan Di and the 223. Wonder Woman versus OMAC in refinery.

This particular battle actually features MORE respect-worthy feats than I am actually posting. Among them are 2 INCREDIBLE displays of heat and damage resistance. But, there ARE "Fair Use" guidelines to observe for this sort of thing, after all. So I am posting the minimum possible that yet gives a reader a feeling of satisfaction of knowing, or at least glimsing, the whole. And, of course, besides giving commentary info where needed, likewise making sure every series selection ends with reference info for where this action can be found in actual comic book stores.

Minimum info to know here:
OMACs, despite their ability to match any superhuman, are, at their root, mostly human beings. Mostly. The other part of them is some REMARKABLE nanotechnology, greater by far than Iron Man's or even Lex Luthor's, which enables them to take Kryptonian-class threats and greater. Wikipedia even mentions an instance where they use Mary Marvel's MAGIC LIGHTNING against her!

Yet they do have some vulnerabilities.
In this instance, Diana reasons liquid nitrogen, after being in so hot an environment as an iron-smelting foundry, should be enough to put the tiny machines that comprise the OMAC out of commision and free its human victim.

And she's right. As stated elsewhere, once she uses her strong fingers to gently crack the thick ice shell that forms after she forces the OMAC through this steel drum, the fight is ended, and without real injury to the now-freed human underneath.

bluewaterrider
Wonder Woman versus OMAC.

Battle's end.

OMAC safely destroyed. Victim safely freed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Wonder Woman #221, Volume 2
Writer: Greg Rucka
Pencillers: Rags Morales & Cliff Richards
Date: November 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_Woman_Vol_2_221

bluewaterrider
Wonder Woman has had several ups and downs in her career.

At one time, for instance, I understand that she was featured in 2, possibly 3 magazines, those being All-Star comics, where she debuted, Sensation Comics, which, for a time, was as much hers as Action Comics is generally considered Superman's, and, of course, the title "Wonder Woman" itself, which has seen nearly continuous publication since the 1940s.

Writers and artists following 1959 or so, started, unfortunately, to shy away from giving her the kind of jaw-dropping feats observed by Captain Marvel and you-know-who, however. Displays of the kind associated with the REALLY big guys started to become more and more absent, until ...

Well, essentially until the feats seen on the Lynda Carter show started being perceived as Wonder Woman appropriate, and perhaps even max, level.

Certainly this was the case for me -- it was a shock to the system, when, back in 1995, I discovered Diana performing the kind of feats I thought reserved for "Supers" and "Hulks". But a reading of what turned out to be her Silver Age origin confirmed, that, yes, Diana really IS in that class, always had been, and, in fact, was slowly RETURNING to being depicted as a powerhouse; that it was not a new thing at all.

In the years 2001 through roughly 2011, we got a TRUE taste of what she used to be like, as more egalitarian creative staff were given the chance to handle her. Perhaps nowhere is this more true than in the pages of JLA and the Justice League of America, where she was allowed to shine in ways virtually undreamed of in her own title until the time of Greg Rucka. Here, for instance, continuing the "Man (woman) versus machine" motif, a surprisingly good showing against the classic team-wrecker, Amazo ...

bluewaterrider
Brief notes to the curious:

The JLA did NOT always meet on an orbiting satellite or a tower on the Moon. During the time of this fight, certainly, they were situated on Earth in a more or less standard Metropolis-like office building.

The building was equipped with a teleporter TO their off-world version of the headquarters, however.

The snapshot here is an edited enlargement of a single panel from the comic. The dialogue and action is unchanged; just did it like this so a viewer can better appreciate how strong Diana is, more or less just flying and pressing her way through several inches thick reinforced concrete and steel flooring (which she'll confirm and add to in the scene following this one) as part of an effort to surprise her android opponent.

bluewaterrider
Wonder Woman. Amazo Aristeia, scan 3.

bluewaterrider
Tandi and the 223. Amazo. Diana Aristeia.

bluewaterrider
Tandiandthe223. Amazo. Diana Aristeia.

Amazo defeated. Character commentary.

bluewaterrider
Tandiandthe223. Amazo. DianaAristeia. AmazoAristeia. Final character explanations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Justice League of America #24, Volume 2
Writer: Dwayne McDuffie
Penciller: Ed Benes
Date: October 2008
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Justice_League_of_America_Vol_2_24

Note: As touched upon in discussion with P.R., the 3rd to last image and this one received work that makes them more in line with ... Rags Morales' "Diana versus OMAC" portrayal, as opposed to "Ed Benes 2008" standard. I know of at least one poster who would understand...

bluewaterrider
A final submission for this night/early morning.

May or may not be able to post later today.

A favorite image of one Adrienne Palicki, and, to my knowledge (hope?), one in print long BEFORE she was picked for the ultimately unaired NBC pilot.

Content with the way things ultimately worked out fate-of-the-show wise.
I think only P.R. can correctly guess why I say this, and it's best that way.

Were Palicki the way she was in her "Smallville" debut as Kara Zor-el, though ... ?

At any rate, not knowing with absolute certainty, I DO like this picture ...

Q99
If you can, keep them coming smile

Do you have a scan of her actually shoving Amazo those three feet into the porter?

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Q99

Do you have a scan of actually shoving Amazo those three feet into the porter?

No.

Snapshots, Q.

The only person I can think of by name who might have THAT scene scanned somewhere is Ed Benes.

I like to think Rags Morales has something similar I'll stumble upon someday, though.

Originally posted by Q99

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Q.

On the subject of scans, though, I want you to now take note of the fact that your scan of Wonder Woman pulling the sun, which you re-posted in my pre-Crisis Wonder Woman respect thread, now only shows the message "image edited or deleted".

Or whatever it is that Photobucket says.

I had nothing to do with that.
Nor do I really have any idea what happened with that, either.

But I point this out because, though I did not say so in P.R.'s thread when you and Abhilegend recommended Photobucket,
I had NOT found Photobucket particularly good at preserving information.
Don't get me wrong -- they seem relatively stable; I don't fear them going out of business any time soon.
I also don't fear them shutting down for maintenance for weeks on end as Picamatic did, leaving people WONDERING if they forever went out of business. No, in that sense Photobucket probably IS stable.

However, I DID discover for myself that Photobucket is resistant to any individual members reorganization of a photobucket collection.

What do I mean?

Wel, it is natural thing, given our digital age and nearly everyone with computer experience, for the average person to put a set of their favorite things into a desktop folder.
Group them according to themes.
Later on, change them to fit new groupings.

You can't do that with Photobucket.
Not if you want to keep the links you previously created with your images, you can't.
If you try, every single link to that image which you posted before that point will "break" and leave you with that "image edited or deleted" or whatever message that's displaying for your sun image now.

I can't be 100% sure that this is what happened with you; I'd be surprised if it was anything but that, but, at any rate, it translates into that image, at least as I type this, now being GONE.

Just wanted to reiterate exactly why I'm following the format I am, that of using KMC as my Image Host Provider to post favorite SNAPSHOTS from comicbook stories featuring Diana, and not the flashier big volume IHP's. Bigger is NOT always better if your goal is image preservation and granting fans true long-term viewing priveleges...

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Q99

Having said all the above, Q, I managed to preserve the image you tried to post in my pre-Crisis thread. A delight to look at; hopefully it will stay longer, translated here through KMC, than it did through your provider.

Say ...

HAVE you any significant stock of Golden Era Wonder Woman?
If you do, please let me know in one of my other threads.
I, unfortunately, have relatively sizeable gaps in my collection.
There's enough material to be informative there, as well as the thread I've been participating in with BienSalsa the past few weeks, but contributions from others might help make the thread a truly quality read.

At any rate, thanks for originally posting this image there!

-K-M-
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
1) Seldom, if ever, with reference information good enough for people to actually find the stories featuring these delightful showings

Read every respect thread I have done. I always cite my references.

bluewaterrider
Sadly, K.M., you represent only 12 of more than 700 such threads in this forum.
And many of YOUR threads, too, seem to have suffered Photobucket link breakage.

You've given me some ideas for organization for my other threads, though.

Thanks for that.

bluewaterrider
Video of a true-life Wonder Woman to brighten the day:

Lauren Kornacki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwWVOHm5BpI
(2 min 34 sec)

(young woman, age 22, lifts ton-and-a-half car off her father, then performs CPR, saving his life)

bluewaterrider
My own scanner is still on the blink.

Thanks to P.R. for this one, taken from Legends of the DC Universe #4, cleaned and isolated.

bluewaterrider
A gentler pose, for balance.

Notes suggest this is from Green Arrow and Black Canary #4, although it looks like the work of the artist doing the current DCnU solo title.

I'll recheck when I'm in the condensing phase.

-Pr-
A gentler pose, for balance.

Notes suggest this is from Green Arrow and Black Canary #4, although it looks like the work of the artist doing the current DCnU solo title.

I'll recheck when I'm in the condensing phase.

It's from the issue when Ollie brought Connor to the hospital, and the League rallied around Ollie and Dinah. I think that's the right number, though.

bluewaterrider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oxqwFv7-z8
(1 min 19 sec)

Source: Superman/Batman Apocalypse DVD
(Warner Bros preview/promotional clip)
Director : Lauren Montgomery
Original Story Writer: Jeph Loeb
Screenplay Writer : Tab Murphy
Date of Release: September 2010

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by -Pr-
Ollie brought Connor to the hospital, and the League rallied around Ollie and Dinah. I think that's the right number ...

Thanks.

Say, P.R., can you direct me to where I might quickly find the answer to my X-Men question, posed earlier in the following thread?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/t569002.html

(Your name was specifically mentioned as go-to person, which, given who you say your favorite character is, makes considerable sense ...)

-Pr-
Thanks.

Say, P.R., can you direct me to where I might quickly find the answer to my X-Men question, posed earlier in the following thread?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/t569002.html

(Your name was specifically mentioned as go-to person, which, given who you say your favorite character is, makes considerable sense ...)

I'll try to keep it brief, as it's a Wonder Woman thread.

For the breakdown of the Cyclops and Jean marriage, your best bet is to read New X-Men 114 - 154.

Link to first issue: http://marvel.wikia.com/New_X-Men_Vol_1_114

Bullet points:

After the arc "The Twelve" Cyclops is lost out in the world with Apocalypse's consciousness inside his mind, fighting for control. He spends weeks/months alone, but is eventually saved by Jean and Cable, but not without lasting damage being done. Apocalypse's influence left Cyclops more... Realistic, and more honest, in a way.

Fearing that Jean wouldn't like the "new him" Cyclops withdrew from her, and Jean's either inability or unwillingness to confront the issue led to them growing apart.

When Genosha is wiped out, with millions of mutants wiped out, Emma Frost comes to live at the school.

Over the course of the run, Cyclops begins getting therapy from Emma Frost. She falls for him, and the two begin a "psychic" affair (though it should be noted that at around the same time, Jean (who was beginning to manifest the Phoenix again) made a move on Logan only to be rebuffed).

Jean finds out about Scott and Emma, flips stuff, and Cyclops is made to choose between both women. Before he can reveal his choice, Magneto attacks New York (I think it was New York), and the X-Men battle him. Jean is killed. At her funeral, Emma tells Scott that they need to rebuild. Scott says no, and quits the X-Men.

In the future, a bunch of stuff basically culminated in the world going to hell, all because Cyclops didn't stay with the X-Men. So White Crown Phoenix Jean changes history, and at the grave, where Cyclops had told Emma he quit, he is instead mentally "nudged" in to staying with the X-Men, and of course, staying with Emma.

That's as brief as I could make it, and tbh, I left a lot out. I really do recommend the series though. It's excellent.

Lek Kuen
I was joking when I said ask him

bluewaterrider
I didn't actually use personal messaging to make this particular request of him, though. I only do that when I feel there is something reasonably important to ask him that doesn't strike me as quite appropriate to ask by standard public means owing to his position, etcetera. I figured the route I chose here would be the least intrusive that still actually got me the specific information I was looking for.

At any rate, P.R. WAS kind enough to answer and DID turn out to be the right person to ask, so, thanks for the advice!

Endless Mike
Why are we discussing X-Men in a Wonder Woman respect thread?

bluewaterrider
cool

Image 1 of 6

bluewaterrider
Image 2 of 6.

bluewaterrider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UDkAQK5HTo

Image 3 of 6

bluewaterrider
Image 4 of 6

bluewaterrider
Image 5 of 6.

bluewaterrider
Image 6 of 6.

Source 1: Uncanny X-Men #218, Volume 1
Writer: Chris Claremont
Penciller: Marc Silvestri
Date: June 1987
http://marvel.wikia.com/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_218

Source 2: Unlimited Access #1, Volume 1
Writer: Karl Kesel
Penciller: Pat Oliffe
Date: December 1997
http://marvel.wikia.com/Unlimited_Access_Vol_1_1

bluewaterrider
Wonder Woman versus Superman. The Vanishing. For Tomorrow snapshots.

Image 1 of 7.

bluewaterrider
Image 2 of 7.

bluewaterrider
Image 3 of 7.

bluewaterrider
Image 4 of 7.

bluewaterrider
Image 5 of 7.

bluewaterrider
Image 6 of 7.

bluewaterrider
Image 7 of 7.

Storyline: "For Tomorrow."
Source: Superman #211, Volume 2
Writer: Brian Azzarello
Penciller: Jim Lee
Date: January 2005
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_2_211

Better context of this encounter can be found by clicking the following link:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=525118&pagenumber=5

bluewaterrider
Winnowing to Classic.

bluewaterrider
GeneralCycle.

1. KMC base of originally conceived submissions.
2. Ref Info at the end of series, separate from ALL previous entries.
3. Semi-repeats to replace previously blurry images with better, small-perspectived with larger-feeling captures. Virtually any other reason.
4. Bibliographied NON parsed, NON blue link, URLs. To innoculate against KMC Archive transformation.
5. Periodic breaks, generally shepherded to even-numbered pages to allow for fan recovery, re-charge, feedback, suggestions, etcetera

Toots and The Maytals. Pressure Drop, 1972.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UDkAQK5HTo
(2 min 15 sec)

bluewaterrider
Nitrobath.

bluewaterrider
ColdMac Recovery.

bluewaterrider
5 of 18.

The InterplanetaryOlympicWoman.

bluewaterrider
6 of 18.

bluewaterrider
7 of 18.

bluewaterrider
8 of 18.

(AntiMagneticDoorDestroy)

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider
18. Page 1 Summary.

1.1-1.5 Wondy v OMAC. Wonder Woman #221, Volume 2
1.6-1.11. Wondy v Amazo. Justice League of America, Volume 2 #24
1.12 Beautiful fan photoshop of Adrienne Palicki, pre-surgery
1.13 Q99
1.14 reply to Q99
1.15 reply to Q99; repost of her Golden Age "suntow" image
1.16 KM comment
1.17 reply to KM
1.18 Lauren Kornacki, remarkable 22 year old girl who saved father's life by lifting a car off him and performing CPR
1.19 Plasma gun crush. Legends of the DC Universe #4
1.20 Green Arrow and Black Canary #4. Conversation with Batman after Connor Hawke's apparent death.

bluewaterrider
Page 2 summary.

2.1 P.R. confirms GABC4 Ref Info is accurate.
2.2 SBA clip. Arrival on Apocalypse (Wondy v Apokolips tank)
2.3 X-Men question for P.R.
2.4 P.R. response
2.5 Lek Kuen response
2.6 my response to Lek Kuen
2.7 Endless Mike comment
2.8 Rogue v Juggernaut 2, scan 1, Uncanny X-Men #218
2.9 Rogue v Juggernaut 2, scan 2
2.10 Pressure Drop 1972 and Wonder Woman versus Juggernaut
2.11-2.13 Wonder Woman versus Juggernaut, cont., Unlimited Access #1
2.14-2.20 For Tomorrow skirmish with Superman. Pilot's curse in final panel edited out.

bluewaterrider
Page 3 Summary.

3.1-3.4 OMAC encore. Wonder Woman #221, Volume 2.
(Supes having trouble on the page one showing is from Superman #217, Volume 2)

3.5. Diana, in Golden Age, winning Interplanetary Olympics with weightlifting feat -- on the heavy gravity planet of Jupiter.
Wonder Woman #91, Volume 1.

3.6. Palicki fan photo re-sub

3.7 Anti-Neptumag door, Golden Age
3.8 Anti-Neptumag door, Wonder Woman #31, Volume 1.

3.9 Tower of Pisa. Straightened by Diana to prevent collapse.
WW#89, Volume 1.

3.10 Tiptub of Dreadknought (lossless capsizing of Japanese Carrier/Warship), Wonder Woman #6, Volume 1

3.11 Diana endures a Quetzlotl/Onrushing train collision on the points of the serpent god's teeth, Wonder Woman #40, Volume 3

3.12 Tom Bancroft. Disney artist's rendition of Diana in her Odyssey streetwear, circa 2010 or 11.

3.13. Amazo shoving match scene. Family repeat; same as previous.

3.14 Golden Age Meteor Play, Wonder Woman #80, Volume 1.

3.15 Diana, along with Superman and Kyle Green Lantern, towing the moon at speed, in the Terror Incognita storyline. JLA #58, Volume 1.

3.16 Earth Pull Trio. Gamemnae has some unbelievably powerful magic. Diana and company, with sheer physical force, resist Gamemnae's effort to throw the planet hopelessly out of orbit.
JLA #75, Volume 2.

3.17 Erin Stern as Wonder Woman.

3.18 Page 1 summary.
3.19 Page 2 summary.
3.20 Page 3 summary.

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

Ah, John Byrne.

Scans 7 -10, along with this one and the next to follow are from Wonder Woman #101, Volume 2, the first Wonder Woman comic I ever bought, from a now long-gone comic shop in Greektown, Detroit.

I was a whole lot younger then, and only knew of the character from Superfriends and re-runs of the Lynda Carter show. X-Men was all the rage, owing to the debut of the cartoon a few seasons prior, and I was a devout Spider-Man reader. Used to think of Wonder Woman as some really poor man's knockoff of Spidey. Spider-man had webs. She had rope. He could swing from his. Make nets, parachutes, glue bombs ...
She could make a lasso. He could travel across town Tarzan style, faster than any subway train or car.
She ... found a place to park her invisible jet.

I'm digressing.
My thoughts are too disordered right this moment because I have other things to finish before the afternoon is through.
For now suffice to say that John Byrne is arguably the biggest reason Diana was restored to a reasonable semblance of herself as a powerhouse heroine, with a physical prowess worthy of true respect.

I will certainly give some re-examination of this premise in the future, if and as time permits.

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider

Side by sides yield unexpected surprises.

Take another look now at the extremely strong and buff Supergirl we saw taking down that door a few entries ago.

She's impressive ...!

However ...

bluewaterrider

... compare even that version of Kara by placing her side by side against Wonder Woman 101's Diana. Scale the sizes until each woman is roughly the same size as the other.

Examine now the thickness of the metal DIANA is tearing in comparison to her Kryptonian counterpart. Kara's door is only as thick as her hands are wide. Diana's "door" ... MAN!

Anyway, just something interesting I noticed ...

bluewaterrider

Can't figure out how to get simple vertical marking lines or make circular cuts or crops with Microsoft Paint.

Be great tools to have to highlight exactly what I was talking about.

Ah, just as well --

out of time for today anyway ...

bluewaterrider
Reference Information for Images 3.1-3.7

Source: Elseworld's Finest. Supergirl and Batgirl.
Writers: Barbara Kesel, Matt Haley, and Tom Simmons
Penciller: Matt Haley
Date: September 1998
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Elseworld's_Finest:_Supergirl_%26_Batgirl_Vol_1_1

bluewaterrider

4.01 Wonder Woman versus the goddess Artemis. WW #12 DCnU.
4.02 -- 4.06 Elseworlds Finest. Supergirl & Batgirl (1998)
4.07 -- 4.14 Wonder Woman v2 #101. John Byrne (1995)
4.15 -- 4.18 Combination of above
4.19 Wonder Woman versus Genocide. WW v3. Gail Simone.

bluewaterrider

4.20 Wonder Woman and Beowulf. Wonder Woman #21, Volume 3.

bluewaterrider
Lot of talk in recent years about a Wonder Woman movie or TV show.

Will we ever see one?

Don't know, but, when DC redesigned Wonder Woman for J. Michael Straczynski's Odyssey a year to three back, I couldn't help but think of the following and how perfectly adapted the trappings of it already were for JMS's storyline. Just change a name or three, really ...

Jaime catches Rotor Blade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xxPqS3w6Kk&playnext=1&list=PLA940126FB0919276&feature=results_main

(0 min 12 sec)

-Pr-
Have you seen the pilot of the Wonder Woman tv show?

bluewaterrider
Have you seen the pilot of the Wonder Woman tv show?

No.

And, though I would not mind the chance to do so, the reviews I've read from people who DID see it makes me think I would probably be more than a little disappointed.

More than just the plot, too.

I hinted at this with you before; I think Palicki made a decision awhile ago that, as opposed to the way she was in her Smallville years, would have made her a bad choice for the role by the time the proposed Wonder Woman TV show rolled around.

To put it as delicately as possible, Wonder Woman is, or at least was, about empowerment. The healthy and natural sort. She was about being comfortable in your own skin. She was authentic.

Let me be clear that I am not saying Palicki is a bad person.

In fact, let me say it this way instead:

I truly wish casting calls went to women who were ... more truly comfortable with themselves, women who demonstrated what can ... naturally be achieved, women ... who have not and will not submit to the lie of Hollywood, women who have faith that barring extraordinarily pernicious circumstances ... striving for ... Nature's blueprint for their beauty is healthiest and best.

Again, Palicki isn't a bad person from what I can tell; Wonder Woman has to be natural. With all the power for good or ill that media and her image possess, all the influence on perception, Wonder Woman has little business being portrayed as a role model for young women if she isn't.
Ditto for any actress portraying her if live-action film or show ever come to pass.

Palicki as she was on Smallville, yes.
Fairly certain the fan photoshop was from those years, incidentally.
Not enough obvious evidence of that NOT being the case for me not to have included it in this thread, certainly.

Ah me ...

Reviewing that even here ...

To think what might have been, if history had taken only the SLIGHTEST different path ...

-Pr-
Agreed.

And honestly, you're better off not watching it. It's bad.

bluewaterrider
Gods of Gotham.

Source: Wonder Woman #167, Volume 2
Writer: Phil Jimenez
Penciller: Phil Jimenez
Date: April 2001
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_Woman_Vol_2_167

bluewaterrider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGh7-DHf5sg

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider
Time to collate some of these ...

Diana versus ColdplayOMAC.
URL bank with reference information.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791287

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791289

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791291

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791296

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791297

bluewaterrider
Diana versus ColdplayOMAC.

(Click-able LINK version.)

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791287

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791289

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791291

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791296

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791297

bluewaterrider
Attachment needed to complete AA series, overlooked the first time around ...

bluewaterrider
Amazo Aristeia

URL Bank with Reference Information

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791306
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791309
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14035325
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791310

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791311

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791312
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791314

bluewaterrider
Amazo Aristeia

Click-able LINK version.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791306
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791309
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14035325
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791310

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791311

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791312
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791314

carver9
Blue...

Can you post the entire fight with Amazo and Diana instead of clips. Also, during that scene Diana was able to overpower Amazo...an Amazo that had the strength of Superman in his arsenal. Great showing for her. Shows what she is capable of when she doesn't hold back.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by carver9
Blue...

Can you post the entire fight with Amazo and Diana instead of clips?

I'll give that some serious thought when I resume Photobucket, but, if I do, it will probably be in one of the other threads. The actual fight features too much of one Hollywood "element" for my tastes, one I want to keep out of my thread wherever possible.

Originally posted by carver9
Amazo ... had the strength of Superman in his arsenal! Great showing for her.

Unfortunately, Amazo had a lot more than that.
Final resolution required the aid of Red Tornado.

This was a good showing for Diana.
She singlehandedly preserves the team, saving them from death at Amazo's hands. Twice.
A very good moment indeed.
But it is not THE moment.

bluewaterrider
URL bank for ...

Palicki photoshop portrait.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791325

Sun tow.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13842190

Comforting Batman.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13978821

bluewaterrider
Click-able LINK version of ...

Palicki photoshop portrait.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13791325

Sun tow.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13842190

Comforting Batman.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13978821

bluewaterrider
URL Bank for "The Vanishing" ep argument.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985687

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985688

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985690

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985692

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985695

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985697

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985701

Better context of this encounter can be found by clicking the following link and reading the contents of the page it directs to.
Note that "For Tomorrow" had source material very different from the entries seen in this thread, which, on the whole are light, uplifting, inspirational, and/or more or less pure celebration of the character many have come to know and love.

Direct yourself and read AZZARELLO's background muse for what comic fans got only when you want some SERIOUSLY heavy stuff to think about. Talking in excess of Disney versus original Grimm Fairy tales juxtaposition there ...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=525118&pagenumber=5

bluewaterrider
Diana versus Clark.

Snapshots of the showdown over "The Vanishing".

(Where an errant kick in the skirmish,
despite unusually resolute resistance from Superman,
hints at just how strong Diana's legs are ...

Check the distance!)

Click-able KMC links version.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985687

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985688

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985690

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985692

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985695

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985697

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=13985701

Zack Fair
Video of a true-life Wonder Woman to brighten the day:

Lauren Kornacki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwWVOHm5BpI
(2 min 34 sec)

(young woman, age 22, lifts ton-and-a-half car off her father, then performs CPR, saving his life) Sadly the vid was removed

bluewaterrider

bluewaterrider
Found a remarkable digitally painted image online today.

Creator said it was her first effort in the description.

Pretty good job, if so ...

bluewaterrider
Rhymer wrapped. Etrigan versus Wonder Woman. ww107v2, John Byrne.

bluewaterrider
Hoplite Dream.

bluewaterrider
Midnight watch.

Wonder Woman #601, Volume 4
(or Volume 1. It depends on what your criterion is.)

bluewaterrider
Diana has appeared in several Elseworlds.

This particular one featured her as a resident of London, unaware of her true historical past.

bluewaterrider
As you can see, Diana still retains her heroic, action-oriented instincts, immediately stopping whatever she is doing to save the lives of the imperiled.

bluewaterrider
I'm isolating this particular selection because it reminds me of two features that struck me as noteworthy.

1. This is easily the hardest physique rendition I've seen of Diana.
I know it's struck some other people that way. I'm wondering, not for the first time, if one of the 52 writers was similarly impressed.

I don't mean the current DC Universe when I say 52, either.

I refer instead to the Countdown series.

There, some powerful villain managed to compel several versions of particular heroes to fight each other, often to the finish.

Wonder Woman was one such character, forced to fight different versions of herself to see which one was superior.

Despite having nothing that I can identify as true fight experience, this particular Wonder Woman, featured in the Elseworlds titled Amazonia, won. I cannot be sure, but I'm guessing the writer partly, perhaps even subconsciously, chose that result due to the way she is drawn here. She LOOKS physically stronger and harder than the bulk of many superheroines, almost like something carved of marble.
This is communicated despite the true warmth, joy, and deference Diana shows to nearly everyone that she is not absolutely obligated to battle in this story.
The artists did a remarkable job, visually.

2. On a note related to the above, the art does a remarkable simulation of "flamelit" lighting. Seems like it really WOULD be what observers from that angle would see watching a person onstage back then.

The illusion is dependent somewhat on size I note, however.
Enlargements, so useful for appreciating the work of other comicbook artists, don't work so well for the scans here.

I would go so far as to say that it loses some of its magic quality when you get too close ...

Of course, such is the case for many things related to real-life theatrical productions, too.

Source: Amazonia , DC, 1997, William Messner-Loebs, Paul Kupperberg and Phil Winslade

bluewaterrider
Strength display. Construct shatter.

DCnU Wonder Woman versus Green Lantern.

DCnU Justice League magazine, 2012.

bluewaterrider
The main challenger to Amazonia's claim.

The artwork of Aaron Lopresti.

Aaron is one of the few pencillers who goes not for cheescake, but true athleticism. Diana here has the look of many a true and elite sports competitor. Many of the world class CrossFit participants, for instance, look a lot like this, and perhaps more than a few Olympic Event challengers.
You can BELIEVE Diana has what it takes to overcome tough challenges when seeing her body drawn this way.
A welcome sight; I'm hopeful Lopresti will get pencilling duties for the character again sometime in the future.

bluewaterrider
I mustn't get too lazy here. Here is the ref info for that construct-shatter scene:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Justice League #11, Volume 2
Writer: Geoff Johns
Date: September 2012
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Justice_League_Vol_2_11

-Pr-
That was a decent issue too. I actually remember reading it as I walked home from the comic shop.

bluewaterrider
You're a lucky man; those places are practically non-existent now in my area ... sad

-Pr-
Back in Ireland, I had to take a bus ride in to the city to a comic shop; it was over two hours each way, so not a lot of fun.

bluewaterrider
I discovered the identity of the model used in my "Diana the Hoplite" submission above. Seems very appropriate given my discussion of Aaron Lopresti, the models he seemed to preference when drawing Diana, and Olympian figures ...

Rachel Yurkovich at Hayward Field. Eugene, Oregon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c35BBI8XrO4

bluewaterrider
I had to take a bus ride ... over two hours each way ...!

hmmm

Okay, maybe not quite as lucky as I thought then ...

bluewaterrider

-Pr-
hmmm

Okay, maybe not quite as lucky as I thought then ...

laughing out loud

yeah, a 10-15 minute walk each way here in Calgary, or a 5-6 hours round trip back in Ireland. not fun. and i'm tall, so I hate sitting on a bus for that long.

bluewaterrider
Byrne. Tank tear. Volume 2 number 115.

bluewaterrider
Secondary view, same scene.

bluewaterrider
I've done visual side-by-sides between characters before.

Not sure if I've done side-by-sides of the same character drawn by different artists.

I believe there were actually 2 artists handling Amazonia's sketches. Can't be sure if it were a tandem effort for each panel or if they divided overall selections between each other.

At any rate Paul Kupperberg and/or Phil Winslade Wonder Woman versus Aaron Lopresti Wonder Woman.

Chiselled, semi-classic, like unto marble on the left side.

Versus modern world-class CrossFit, in the style of, say, Miranda Oldroyd, Julie Foucher, or Annie Mist Thorisdottir, on the right.

Can't help but wonder where modern comicbook artists look to for their models nowadays. Lopresti's drawings are so much more realistic than that of most of his peers that I'm thinking he MUST have real-life people to refer to when he does this...

bluewaterrider
Wonder Woman v3 #21.

Even completely de-powered (IIRC), Diana demonstrates clean knockout ability.

bluewaterrider
Real Life Wonder Women Series.

Margaret Ciaccio.

Grandmother ... and arm-wrestling champion!

bluewaterrider
Wonder Woman v3 #21.

Even completely de-powered (IIRC), Diana demonstrates clean knockout ability.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14277005

The artist on this showing, by the way, is also Aaron Lopresti.

bluewaterrider
Curls a yacht with one arm.

JLA v1 #90, Joe Kelly, author.

bluewaterrider
Pins Superman. For the second time that day.
From the Big Guy's magazine, Issue 56, Volume 2 if I have it right ...

-Pr-
That's one of my favourite scenes, even if Superman wasn't at his best.

It helped shape a lot of the arguments/techniques I use when writing posts/rping.

abhilegend
Superman was tossing her around with one arm in the same comic. She only pinned him because he was distracted because of Lex becoming president. Here is the full scene

http://www.comicboards.com/php/image.php?msg=comicbattles-2012041921292136&att=superman165a.jpg&fullsize=yes
http://www.comicboards.com/php/image.php?msg=comicbattles-2012041921292136&att=superman165b.jpg&fullsize=yes

Leave it for Blue to mislead people.

-Pr-
facepalm

abhilegend
facepalm
pr

uhuh

Newjak
Originally posted by abhilegend
Superman was tossing her around with one arm in the same comic. She only pinned him because he was distracted because of Lex becoming president. Here is the full scene

http://www.comicboards.com/php/image.php?msg=comicbattles-2012041921292136&att=superman165a.jpg&fullsize=yes
http://www.comicboards.com/php/image.php?msg=comicbattles-2012041921292136&att=superman165b.jpg&fullsize=yes

Leave it for Blue to mislead people.
Originally posted by abhilegend
pr

uhuh I'm not laughing Abhi.

I've had to talk to you in various threads more than I want to about spamming/trolling/being a nuisance.

Warned

bluewaterrider
Catching ... the Moon? (Or really, really large chunks of it ...?)

JLA Titans features a rather odd story. Apparently Cyborg of the Teen Titans merges with the Moon. His consciousness forms a moon-sized construct that the combined Justice League and Titans groups must confront. Somehow they manage to communicate with him, returning his consciousness to some database on Titans island.

At which point, unfortunately, the moon sized construct slips OUT of Cyborg's control, breaks apart and starts falling rapidly to Earth as a series of HUGE meteors. So huge in fact that most groups realize they cannot catch these ginormous rocks in time to prevent untold destruction on Earth, or even save themselves, so they find ways to break the rock masses into debris, a much easier task.

This is apparently the case for Power Woman, Karen Starr and Damage ...

bluewaterrider
... and this also seems to be the case for Mary and Freddy Marvel -- even with the help of the flame-winged Supergirl of that day and Starfire:

bluewaterrider
Amazingly, despite the power of Kara Zor-L and 2 Marvels failing at their tasks, a remaining "team" does succeed at the catch, and really only one person, who utilizes pure physical strength to avert a disaster her young would-be stand-in would have been helpless to prevent, or even save herself from, otherwise ...

bluewaterrider
This one I like for cool imagery more than being able to confirm exactly what is happening. From Action Comics #754, apparently, where Superman robots are "escorting" Lex Luthor to his landing destination ...

bluewaterrider
If I have this right, this is from 1999, where the theme of Superman robots going haywire or being used for evil purposes was fairly common.

This was a pretty big concern for people in the DC Universe because the robots were very powerful, comparable in some stat areas to the big guy himself. They could, and did, absolutely WRECK teams and individual heroes. Perhaps the most notable was the Teen Titans group which included Donna Troy, decimated by exactly ONE of these things.

Unfortunately, during this period, Donna Troy was not really comparable to Big Sister. Mores the pity. She lost her life in that encounter, requiring later resurrection. Diana, however, though having vulnerability greater than her 2005 self, nevertheless possessed a great deal more strength and skill. HER superstrength appears to have been more than sufficient to deal with not one but several of these at a time -- at least if the following is any indication.

bluewaterrider
This one detail puzzles me a bit. Wonder Woman appears here without a breathing mask. I'm thrown off because she, again, did NOT possess the level of invulnerability Greg Rucka and Gail Simone would give her at this particular point in history. I've not personally read the entirety of this story, however. I am, instead, trusting the man who was kind enough to "loan" these images to me earlier, and told me I was welcome to use them later on as I wished, BienSalsa nka RaoKalel, who gave these as goodwill corroboration that Diana was actually FAR physically stronger than the average fan is typically aware of.

At any rate, this is, again from ACtion Comics #754, Volume 1 ...

bluewaterrider
... and I must say, at least for the first panel of the following particular scan, I love the artwork.

Source: Action Comics #754, Volume 1
Writer: Stuart Immonen
Penciller: Stuart Immonen
Date: May 1999
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Action_Comics_Vol_1_754

-Pr-
Yeah, when it comes to breathing in space, DC is anything but consistent. Look at Superman too.

bluewaterrider

when it comes to breathing in space, DC is anything but consistent. Look at Superman ...

I'm of two minds regarding consistency. For the present, though, I'm content to go without it as far as Diana is concerned, for DC hasn't settled at a level for her that they should be consistent AT.

At any rate, discussion of breathing requirements made me think of more scenes with Diana and breathing apparatus.

The most detracting instance surely occurs in the 1978 fight between herself and Superman.
There the 2 heroes, more or less in their World War II incarnations, decide to battle it out on the moon. The breathing requirement here detracts: How can it be said Superman is giving a good account of himself? Diana, wearing what looks like an astronaut's helmet, wears it still after a sustained skirmish. What fan could be convinced even Batman were punching with any serious intent if that remained so?

Sometimes her oxygen limitations, with their attendant requirements, prove beneficial to the scene, however.

For instance, besides outer space, underwater is another area where Diana requires air. So, underwater we see her with a breathing mask, too.
This is not a bad thing in, say, the Justice League episode "Enemy Below". We are reminded that Diana IS underwater here, for instance, and that water is a very dense medium and creates a great deal of inertia at great depths.
So a thing pushed upon will move only slowly, unless an almost unimaginable amount of force is re-applied to it. Which will create a LOT of buckling and stress. Which does a great deal of communicating just how much strength some DC pushers have ...

Zack Fair
She had to use a breathing aparatus Kyle created with his construct in JLA 1(Morrison) iirc

PR was right about the sexual tension between Diana and Clark LOL.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Zack Fair
She had to use a breathing aparatus Kyle created with his construct in JLA 1(Morrison) iirc

Believe it or not, I was just about to post that showing ...

-Pr-

PR was right about the sexual tension between Diana and Clark LOL.

thumb up

bluewaterrider

PR was right about ... tension between Diana and Clark ...

On that note, I'll give some screen time to the following.

Twilight of the gods. Where Superman, though desperate to get to Darkseid, is nonetheless held completely back from forward progression by Wonder Woman's physical strength.

Singly, too, for this brief portion.

(Immediately after she stops this first particular rush cold, J'onnz grabs Superman so the two will be able to apply concerted effort in keeping SM and DS apart from each other.)

Too brief, but rather impressive to see for the time it lasts.

They didn't do nearly as much as they should have, but Diana sometimes got more props than people realize in the DC Animated Universe...

-Pr-
I think with Diana, she didn't peak early in the animated stuff. She got better as time went on, so by the end of the series she was getting plenty of respect.

bluewaterrider
I think with Diana, she didn't peak early in the animated stuff. She got better as time went on, so by the end of the series she was getting plenty of respect.

That actually parallels what went on with the actual comic book Justice League magazine and others.

Wonder Woman increased in strength, endurance, and invulnerability till perhaps 2008 or so.

It's not completely linear, of course, but, to give an example, we see her going from stopping the moon with double digit team members in 1999,
to towing the entirety of the moon at great speed with the Green Lantern Kyle in 2001 and Superman (in the JLA rematch with the White Martians, Terror Incognita),
to towing the Earth itself with the help of Superman, and J'onnz in 2003.

Say, P.R. answerer of a great many questions, this was posted earlier where I SHOULD have had a showing from the Green Lantern Circle of Fire series ... do you have any idea where it is originally from or who did it? I love the artwork here ...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14295542

-Pr-
It's by an artist called Marko Djurdjevic, and is part of a poster for the crossover called "Second Coming" iirc.

bluewaterrider
Thanks, man!

-Pr-
Np.

bluewaterrider

Zack,

I don't have JLA v1 #1 at hand, so I can't confirm or deny, but the fact that Diana tells her teammates later that she had to hold her breath longer than the White Martian Primaid at the end of JLA #4 in their brief stratospheric fight suggests you're right.

What came to mind when you mentioned Kyle, however, was an impressive episode in Green Lantern: Circle of Fire, where Diana saves J'onn J'onnz from a black hole (referred to as a "Cosmic Event" on panel). It is particularly impressive because you-know-who is UNABLE to save J'onnz, and, arguably, needs saving from Kyle himself from the event.

Despite what some have tried to argue, moreover, this event takes place just BEFORE the black-hole-creating villain decides to transform the local star into a red sun to completely neutralize Superman's threat.

bluewaterrider

tension between Diana and Clark ...

There is some really great work by Adam Hughes that I might use your quote to introduce later in the thread. Since I'd been reviewing Justice League Animated stills tonight, however, I was thinking instead of the surprisingly natural attraction they gave Diana and BRUCE in that cartoon.

The "This Little Piggy" clip shown earlier in this thread (though, unfortunately, I think that short clip has been erased by YouTube since), was an instance, of course, but I also like this shot, a moment taking place after Diana saves Gorilla City from an errant and powerful rocket.

She gets cratered in the attempt, even though it is successful, and, not having consistently established durability in this series, as I was just alluding to with P.R., well, the others think she perished.

They immediately discount hope of rescue as a lost cause.

All save one.

Diana discovers that Batman was the lone person holding out hope, concern for her overcoming reason.

She finds him trying to hide the dust covering his hands as he struggled to dig her out from the rubble a moment before she raises the giant weapon herself and shoves it aside.

A kiss awaits our shy, would-be hero at that point; telegraphed by the look given here ...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>