Captain America vs Green Lantern

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Brockalizer
This is similar to my Steve Rogers vs Magneto thread except now I'm swapping Magneto for Hal Jordan. So Steve Rogers without the Super Soldier Serum or his Shield versus one of four Green Lanterns. They all have Green AND Blue power rings. Based on will power feats who wins?

1. John Stewart?
2. Kyle Rayner?
3. Guy Gardener?
4. Hal Jordan?

JakeTheBank
Green and Blue rings?

Steve definitely wins. Not only does he exhibit insane willpower, but the guy is a beacon of hope as well.

Cogito
Kyle is also capable of inspiring hope. He did, after all, recreate the entire GLC.

I'm undecided on this one.

Odekahn
Hal.

The others are too close to call imo. Good match.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Cogito
Kyle is also capable of inspiring hope. He did, after all, recreate the entire GLC.

I'm undecided on this one.

I would say Steve Rogers is more capable of inspiring hope than Kyle would be on the norm. Superman is just about the only guy who rivals Steve in that department.

Prep-Man
Uncle Sam. smile

Badabing
Guy stomps.

CosmicComet
The following contains near copious amounts of willpower and hope

cJtCUQ0NZa8

Odekahn
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I would say Steve Rogers is more capable of inspiring hope than Kyle would be. Superman is just about the only guy who rivals Steve in that department.

I'd actually say that Superman is above Cap as far as hope is concerned. The ONLY reason I give Superman the edge is because of the numbers in which he inspires.

Cap is the epitome of "golden boy." He is a great leader with a pure moral compass. Even though he has the Super Soldier Serum, he's still vastly less powerful than many of the people he calls team mates, and I believe that heroes look up to him an draw great hope. I think his will plus the fact that he's an underdog inspires those around him.

Superman is similar yet the opposite. He's extremely powerful and I think the people around him look up to him as Earth's greatest champion. His moral compass is also rarely in question.

The reason I think Supes takes it, is because of how the people of the world and Metropolis look to him. Almost as a god in a way. He's inspired so much hope it could be argued that the people worship him. I just don't think the citizens of New York view Cap in the same way.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Odekahn
I'd actually say that Superman is above Cap as far as hope is concerned. The ONLY reason I give Superman the edge is because of the numbers in which he inspires.

Cap is the epitome of "golden boy." He is a great leader with a pure moral compass. Even though he has the Super Soldier Serum, he's still vastly less powerful than many of the people he calls team mates, and I believe that heroes look up to him an draw great hope. I think his will plus the fact that he's an underdog inspires those around him.

Superman is similar yet the opposite. He's extremely powerful and I think the people around him look up to him as Earth's greatest champion. His moral compass is also rarely in question.

The reason I think Supes takes it, is because of how the people of the world and Metropolis look to him. Almost as a god in a way. He's inspired so much hope it could be argued that the people worship him. I just don't think the citizens of New York view Cap in the same way.

You can certainly argue Superman trumping Steve in that department, especially since Superman's legend extends beyond Earth and time itself.

But Superman is likely the only person who can compete with, much less beat, Captain America in that sense.

The world looks up to Captain America, more so than the country he represents by far.

CosmicComet
Numbers: Superman
'Proportionality': Cap.

I mean, like Herc says, Olympus compares measures of courage with Cap as the benchmark. Not Perseus, not Theseus, but Steven Rogers.

Odekahn
You can certainly argue Superman trumping Steve in that department, especially since Superman's legend extends beyond Earth and time itself.

But Superman is likely the only person who can compete with, much less beat, Captain America in that sense.

The world looks up to Captain America, more so than the country he represents by far.

I agree.

Odekahn
Originally posted by CosmicComet

I mean, like Herc says, Olympus compares measures of courage with Cap as the benchmark. Not Perseus, not Theseus, but Steven Rogers.

Proportionality wise I don't think they are much different. Like I said, the ONLY reason I give Superman the nod is due to numbers.

JakeTheBank

One of my favorite panels and quotes in comic history.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/OdinBorson/Courage-1.jpg

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Odekahn
Proportionality wise I don't think they are much different. Like I said, the ONLY reason I give Superman the nod is due to numbers.

I give it to Cap proportionately because he's far less powerful.

Either way, like Jake said, they have to be the top two.

Regardless of how you order them in what way.

Odekahn
I give it to Cap proportionately because he's far less powerful.

Either way, like Jake said, they have to be the top two.

Regardless of how you order them in what way.

Well you've got to look at it both ways...

1. Cap always fighting the good fight no matter the odds (especially as he's weaker yet leading people like Thor), insipres.

2. Superman is one of the most powerful beings on Earth and people feel safe with him around and trust that he can keep them safe. No matter what attacks the planet next, people put their faith in Superman to be their savior. The first question people ask when something attacks is "Where's Superman?!" and they cheer as he flys by. There's statues built after him, and imo the only thing that stops Metropolis from being as dark a place as Gotham is Superman.

Two different methods of hope and just as it can be argued that Cap has the edge because he's less powerful, I believe it can be argued in Superman's favor because he is more powerful.

But I can see your point too.

Brockalizer
One of my favorite panels and quotes in comic history.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/OdinBorson/Courage-1.jpg I love those panels too, but let me ask you this. Suppose this was Cap with the power rings versus Superman with just his basic powerset. Is Steve's willpower and ability to inspire hope enough to overcome ANY version of Superman?

Odekahn
Originally posted by Brockalizer
I love those panels too, but let me ask you this. Suppose this was Cap with the power rings versus Superman with just his basic powerset. Is Steve's willpower and ability to inspire hope enough to overcome ANY version of Superman?

Yes, imo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.