Crysis 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
QN0xUbVOAeY&feature=relmfu

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/16/crysis-3-announced-2013/

Is it just me or is this game giving off Turok vibes?

Smasandian
Looking forward to it.

I loved the last three games. I don't know why I wouldn't like this one as well.

Greysen93
I think it looks pretty good. I haven't played 1, but I played 2 and liked it quite a bit. They came out with a short gameplay trailer yesterday, it looks pretty intense.

Kazenji
I'd rather see Timesplitters 4 then this game since Crytek UK is in charge of dev.

Nemesis X
g5NNkyDt65w

RE: Blaxican
Looks boring, honestly. Also, I'm not a fan of the bow that they're trying to useto promote the game. This is a SCI-FI game set in a world with giant guns and alien mecha. There is no place for a bow in such a world.

Phanteros
They are probably trying to appeal to the Hunger Games crowd.

Smasandian
I think it's cool.

Nice to use something other than a high powered rifle.

RE: Blaxican
That's essentially what it'll be, though.

Basically a bolt-lock sniper rifle that is used for "stealthy kills" from a distance, ala Turock. Low firing rate, long reload animation high damage, probably a one-shot kill for headshots...

I think I've just played too many shooters. I've seen it all.

Smasandian
Probably.

BackFire
Enjoyed both games very much. Looks like they're trying to create a happy medium between the freedom of the first game and the high intensity action of the second. Can't wait.

Smasandian
Me neither.

Nemesis X
bIJnRNFOwYE

Smasandian
I always loved Crytek games. Probably love this one as well.

Tzeentch._
Hopefully the MP is better in this one. Say what you want about Crysis 2's multiplayer- there's a reason why absolutely no one played it after six months.

Smasandian
I could care less. It's all about SP for me.

BackFire
Same.

Tzeentch._
Agreed.

Until I beat the SP. Which is probably going to only be about 10 hours long- if the last game is any indication.

At which point, I would like for the MP to not be garbage, as no video game with only ten hours of gameplay in it is worth 60 dollars, regardless of the quality of those 10 hours.

BackFire
Don't agree with that at all.

Tzeentch._
You think that a 10 hour game can be worth 60 dollars if the 10 hours is exceptional?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
..as no video game with only ten hours of gameplay in it is worth 60 dollars, regardless of the quality of those 10 hours.

I agree...but there are exceptions.

If a game has tons of different outcomes or is like a Holonovel from Startrek, then, yes, it is definitely worth more than $60.

I guess replay value and how much awesomeness makes the difference.

9.9 times out of 10? A 10 hour game is not worth $60: it is worth $20, at the most.

Tzeentch._
I count replay value into the total hours of gamplay. If a game has a ten hour storyline but nine different endings depending on how you play it, then I would consider that game to have more than just ten hours of gameplay.

If a game has ten hours of gameplay and has basically nothing worth replaying it for, like Crysis 2's storyline, then I just consider it 10 hours. I beat Crysis 2 in about 9 and a half hours on my first playthrough, which was on the hardest difficulty level available. Played the MP for about three weeks before realizing it was garbage, and since then it's basically just been a useless, 60 dollar paper weight.

Crytek better step there game up for this one.

BackFire
You think that a 10 hour game can be worth 60 dollars if the 10 hours is exceptional?

Yes, absolutely. The price to hour ratio is roughly the same as going to the movies. Do you think an amazing 2 hour film is worth $12?

Smasandian
I also think the game takes longer than 10 hours to beat.

Haven't you ever noticed when people say, "I beat the game in 10 hours during my first playthrough", it always follows with, "on the hardest difficulty setting".

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by BackFire
Yes, absolutely. The price to hour ratio is roughly the same as going to the movies. Do you think an amazing 2 hour film is worth $12? No. I don't go to the movies for the movie itself, I go to the movies for the social aspect, which is why I never go alone.

If there is a movie that I want to see for the sake of seeing that specific movie, I'll probably just torrent it, or wait for it to pop up on Netflicks.

Furthermore, that's only ratio wise. I would never spend 60 dollars in one sitting to watch a movie, no matter how good it was.Originally posted by Smasandian
I also think the game takes longer than 10 hours to beat.

Haven't you ever noticed when people say, "I beat the game in 10 hours during my first playthrough", it always follows with, "on the hardest difficulty setting". So you're saying that I'm lying? lol.

The game might have taken more than 10 hours if the invisibility wasn't broken. The games lack of difficulty and shortness was a common complaint on the Crytek boards when the game was released. Are you sure that maybe you aren't just a slow gamer? wink

BackFire
Who said anything about beating a 10 hour game in 1 sitting? A 10 hour game could easily last a week if you only play an hour or 2 a day.

Also there's no pride in rushing through a game. That only matters to those who aren't actually good at games in ways that matter. I assume you're talking about the the whole stealthing past enemies thing that a lot of people did in Crysis 2. If you chose to play that way, and thus only got a 10 hour experience out of it because you bypassed a lot of content, then that's really your fault. You chose to play that way, where as I and probably Smas actually engaged most of the enemies.

Either way, Crytek said they're adjusting the stealth option for Crysis 3 so that you can't just bypass the majority of the enemies without any thought or strategy, as you could in Crysis 2.

Tzeentch._
That's great to hear. It's also why I just lol @ the attempt to demonize people for playing the game in a way the game designers themselves intended. Using cloak to stealth through the game isn't "rushing" through it, nor is it exploiting a game mechanic. CryTek wanted you to be able to turn invisible and casually stroll through every level, otherwise the ability wouldn't be in there.

Yes, if you want to challenge yourself, you can always just not use it, but you can run that logic with any game. Using that logic, why even bother having increased difficulty settings, as opposed to having just one in a game?

"What's that? Normal mode is too easy for you? Well we were going to make a "Heroic" and "Legendary" difficulty for the game, but decided to hell with it. If the game's too easy than it's your fault for using all the strongest weapons. If you want more of a challenge, than try using just a pistol!"

"What's that? Normal difficulty is too easy for you? Well we were going to make a "Hard" and "Veteran" difficulty mode for the game, but decided why bother. If you want the game to be more difficult than maybe you should try using only the knife!"

"What's that? Normal difficulty is too easy for you? Well we were going to make a hardened and insane difficulty, but decided not too. It's your fault for hiding behind cover and waiting for your health to regenerate! If you want a longer, more challenging gameplay experience, than try playing through the game without hiding behind cover once!"

No. As the gamer, you aren't obligated to limit yourself and add artificial difficulty to the game because the developers failed to create a challenging experience. You're paying them 60 dollars, easily a week's worth of gas, or a phone bill, or lunch and dinner for a week, for the privilege of being entertained. The onus is on them to make the game difficult and long-lasting.

It wouldn't have killed them to simply give a couple of the enemies in the game the ability to see you when you're cloaked. I mean for Christ's sake, half of the villain cast are futuristic high-tech well-trained para-military mercs, the other half are futuristic aliens who have somehow managed to kick the military's ass at every turn. You would think that between the two of them, they would have at least one unit who can see things on a thermal/X-Ray/UV spectrum or something, thus nullifying your cloaking ability. It's not that hard. It wouldn't have killed CryTek to implement this. So at the end of the day it's just a design flaw, and that wasn't the only problem. There were moments when you had to just outright kill everything in order to proceed (the segments when you fight the walkers comes to mind), but even those scenes weren't that hard, due to how many bullets you could tank with maximum armor on, and the retarded AI.

I don't see the harm in admitting that, honestly. No game is flawless. Even CryTek themselves have stated admitted to some of these mistakes on their forums, and have pledged to fix them.

BackFire
I'm not demonizing you and I didn't say you exploited anything. If you wanted to play that way, so be it. That's your choice. I couldn't care less. But don't complain about it after you made the choice to do it. They had that as an option for those who wanted to play the game that way. You chose to do that even though you didn't really seem to enjoy it, so apparently you wanted to bypass content even though you apparently didn't find that playstyle particularly fun simply because you could. I chose not to and the game was very satisfying for me to play. You complaining about a choice you made in regards to how you decided to play the game is like someone playing on easy mode and then complaining when they find it too easy.

And I didn't say the game was flawless, far from it. Remember, I simply disagreed with the assertion that it's impossible for a 10 hour game to be worth 60 dollars and feel that it's unreasonable for you to complain about a game mechanic that you chose to utilize in order to bypass content.

dadudemon
I count replay value into the total hours of gamplay. If a game has a ten hour storyline but nine different endings depending on how you play it, then I would consider that game to have more than just ten hours of gameplay.

If a game has ten hours of gameplay and has basically nothing worth replaying it for, like Crysis 2's storyline, then I just consider it 10 hours.

Based on that definition I would agree. There's no if ands or buts about it: if that's what you meant then there's no denying that a game like that is not worth $60. $20 seems more accurate.

There are some games for iPhone and Android that take longer than 10 hours...and they are free. no expression

Smasandian
Why does length have to equal the cost of the game.

Why not quality? Do you see somebody who listens to punk rock complain that the CD is only 32 minutes long and same price as a Tool CD? No.

What about the books? Or movies?

It's only in video games where people ***** that a quality made game is only "10 hours" long and not worth $60 bucks.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Smasandian

A better question is why does the length of a game, as Blaxican defined it, have little bearing in the overall valuation of a game?

Why not quality?

Well, as Blaxican defined it, the quality of a game makes you want to play it again. That's not a 10 hour game.

Do you see somebody who listens to punk rock complain that the CD is only 32 minutes long and same price as a Tool CD? No.

But that comparison is not how Blax defined it. The person who bought that CD is going to listen to those 32 minutes many times over: a great value.

Most novels take waaaaaay longer than 10 hours to read. Most people read novels more than once, too. Why buy it if your not going to read it more than once?

Why buy a movie if you're only going to see it once?

It's only in video games where people ***** that a quality made game is only "10 hours" long and not worth $60 bucks.

OH! I see, now. No, sorry, I don't buy movies or music that I'm going to listen to only once. That's not how I roll. I'm fairly parallel with my entertainment purchases. I treat books, movies, video games, and music the same. If I'm only going to use it once, it better cost me very little.

Robtard
LoL, you people paying $60.00 for a game when the download is all but free. Ghey.

ares834
Originally posted by dadudemon
Well, as Blaxican defined it, the quality of a game makes you want to play it again. That's not a 10 hour game.

I strongly disagree with this. Some of my favorite games I only ever bother playing through once.

Originally posted by dadudemon Most novels take waaaaaay longer than 10 hours to read. Most people read novels more than once, too. Why buy it if your not going to read it more than once?

Why buy a movie if you're only going to see it once?

What books take way longer than 10 hours to read? War and Peace?

Generally a normal sized novel will take me between 3 and 4 hours to read. And yes, I usually will only read a novel once. However, a novel doesn't cost 60 dollars...

Anyway, I have no problem getting only 10 hours out of a game assuming I enjoy it enough.

BackFire
I feel dumb, I didn't even realize Tzeentch was Blaxican.

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by BackFire
I'm not demonizing you and I didn't say you exploited anything. If you wanted to play that way, so be it. That's your choice. I couldn't care less. But don't complain about it after you made the choice to do it. They had that as an option for those who wanted to play the game that way. You chose to do that even though you didn't really seem to enjoy it, so apparently you wanted to bypass content even though you apparently didn't find that playstyle particularly fun simply because you could. I chose not to and the game was very satisfying for me to play. You complaining about a choice you made in regards to how you decided to play the game is like someone playing on easy mode and then complaining when they find it too easy.

And I didn't say the game was flawless, far from it. Remember, I simply disagreed with the assertion that it's impossible for a 10 hour game to be worth 60 dollars and feel that it's unreasonable for you to complain about a game mechanic that you chose to utilize in order to bypass content.

Fair enough. The point that I'm making is that you shouldn't have to make a conscious decision to not use a game mechanic that the game developers specifically offered to you to use, purely because using that mechanic lessens your gameplay experience. Both Splinter Cell and Dues Ex are games in which you can either slaughter everything in your path or simply stealth right past it. Neither games punish you for choosing one or the other. I feel that, considering the caliber of Crytek's development team, they could have achieved something similar.

Why not quality? Do you see somebody who listens to punk rock complain that the CD is only 32 minutes long and same price as a Tool CD? No.

The problem with these comparisons you guys keep making is that music CD's, movies, and books don't cost 60 bucks a pop. 60 Dollars is a lot of money. If Crysis 2 was 20 bucks then I wouldn't care about it being only 10 hours long. However, as I mentioned before, 60 dollars is a week's worth of gas to work or food, or a bill, or something that is actually important beyond just entertainment. I feel that for that sacrifice you should gain more than just one rainy day's worth of entertainment. That's the beauty of something like addictive multiplayer. Modern Warfare's SP was only like 8 hours long, but I played the MP for two years. That is a worth while investment for a week's worth of gas.

dadudemon
Originally posted by ares834
I strongly disagree with this. Some of my favorite games I only ever bother playing through once.

Playing through once is not the same thing as what we are talking about. "Playing through once" implies you still played the game after you beat the "main quest" or some shit. This is replay value.

And you're not addressing the point you quoted, either: what 10 hour game have you played through once, never played it again AFTER playing the main quest straight through...and still thought the game was worth $60?

What books take way longer than 10 hours to read? War and Peace?

Sorry, most people aren't speedreaders like you. A novella may take much less than 10 hours, but most novels should take you longer than 10 hours to read with the longer ones taking over 20 hours.

Very few people can maintain the 200-250 wpm average when reading a novel. It slows down when people are reading something they enjoy, and for when they read it at long periods of time, rather than something they are being tested on for just 5 minutes:

"...on average, most adults read at a rate of about 200 - 250 wpm. While comprehension at this rate is considered reasonable, at 250 wpm it will be difficult to read large amounts of information in a short period of time."

http://EzineArticles.com/2298503

How slow people get when they are reading for long periods of time on something they enjoy differs from person to person. I would wager it is between 150-200 wpm.

So for a 100,000 word (a bit more than 350 pages...which is a novel...but I am Legend is a bit more than 300 pages and it is considered a novella by many...so I don't know) novel at a 175 wpm pace would take you almost 10 hours to read in a single sitting, nonstop. That does not account for bathroom and food breaks. So it would obviously take longer than that.

As a measure, the first Harry Potter book is a very easy read and is around 320 pages in length. That still took me between 12-15 hours to read. It's getting on the shorter side for a novel in its genre as it could be condensed by 50 pages and then classify as a novella.

If you read that in 3-4 hours, you are a speed reader. Not sure how you get enjoyment out of reading, though. I like to enjoy the words I read. I re-read some paragraphs to let things sink in. I go back and re-read sections that are referenced many chapters later, sometimes, to make sure I didn't miss any details before a big reveal (I do that mostly with mystery/murder novels, though).

Generally a normal sized novel will take me between 3 and 4 hours to read.

That's not a novel, sir. That's a novella...if we are to assume you're reading at 175 wpm.

The average adult reads 200-275 wpm. Most people on the interwebs say it will take them 4-9 hours to read a 300 page novel..which is a short-ish novel.

But I can't help but feel you're still missing the point.

And yes, I usually will only read a novel once. However, a novel doesn't cost 60 dollars...

The whooshing sound you hear is the sound of the point going over your head.

Anyway, I have no problem getting only 10 hours out of a game assuming I enjoy it enough.

That's not the point, either.

The point is paying $60 for a game that has no replay value and lasts 10 hours or less.

ares834
Playing through once is not the same thing as what we are talking about. "Playing through once" implies you still played the game after you beat the "main quest" or some shit. This is replay value.

And you're not addressing the point you quoted, either: what 10 hour game have you played through once, never played it again AFTER playing the main quest straight through...and still thought the game was worth $60?

Uncharted 3. Beat it once and haven't touched multiplayer. Basically, I put around 10 hours worth into it and don't regret buying it at all.

Sorry, most people aren't speedreaders like you. A novella may take much less than 10 hours, but most novels should take you longer than 10 hours to read with the longer ones taking over 20 hours.

Fair enough.

But I can't help but feel you're still missing the point.

The whooshing sound you hear is the sound of the point going over your head.

That's not the point, either.

Then what is the point other than you get more value out of a book than a short game? Why else would you bring it up?

dadudemon
Uncharted 3. Beat it once and haven't touched multiplayer. Basically, I put around 10 hours worth into it and don't regret buying it at all.

Okay...but that seems like a waste of money to me. If you only got 10 hours out of it, don't have the urge to replay it, you got ripped off, imo. I would change my mind if you got 30-40 hours of the game. Hell, I got 30-40 hours out of most SNES games on a single playthrough.

Fair enough.

thumb up

Then what is the point other than you get more value out of a book than a short game? Why else would you bring it up?

It is entertainment for which you pay a reasonable price (books). Smas asked about books and movies. I commented with stuff like Why buy a book if you're never going to read it, again? Why buy a movie if you'll only watch it once? Isn't that a waste of your money? So why would you pay for a game that you'll get no more than 10 hours from but never play it again after you beat it? With a book that you buy, you'll usually get more than 10 hours out of it and it costs MUCH less than $60. Though, the two are not directly comparable, imo. I wasn't the one that brought that comparison up but I had to address it because it was posed to me. But, back on point, you should just buy a digital copy of a book or rent it (yes, you can rent copies of books for like..3 or 6 months) rather than buying the whole thing. It will provide you more time entertainment than a 10 hour video game for which you paid $60. Same thing with a movie: if you only plan to watch it once, Netflix or Redbox it, don't buy it. Unless you find one of those "2 for $5" DVD bins...then it is a good price, imo.

You should have rented Uncharted 3. You could have saved $55 if you rented it (I assume you'd have a $15 a month rental cost from Gamefly or a $5 store rental).

FistOfThe North
i'll be playing this tonight. beta's out today.

just waiting for Origin update and the new geforce graphic driver to finish downloading.

Frostbite 2's still king but Cryengine 3 is no. 2 in my book.

i wonder how my gtx 680 will fare on max settings with this game?

Tzeentch._
So anyone pick this up, yet?

Smasandian
Okay...but that seems like a waste of money to me. If you only got 10 hours out of it, don't have the urge to replay it, you got ripped off, imo. I would change my mind if you got 30-40 hours of the game. Hell, I got 30-40 hours out of most SNES games on a single playthrough.

thumb up

It is entertainment for which you pay a reasonable price (books). Smas asked about books and movies. I commented with stuff like Why buy a book if you're never going to read it, again? Why buy a movie if you'll only watch it once? Isn't that a waste of your money? So why would you pay for a game that you'll get no more than 10 hours from but never play it again after you beat it? With a book that you buy, you'll usually get more than 10 hours out of it and it costs MUCH less than $60. Though, the two are not directly comparable, imo. I wasn't the one that brought that comparison up but I had to address it because it was posed to me. But, back on point, you should just buy a digital copy of a book or rent it (yes, you can rent copies of books for like..3 or 6 months) rather than buying the whole thing. It will provide you more time entertainment than a 10 hour video game for which you paid $60. Same thing with a movie: if you only plan to watch it once, Netflix or Redbox it, don't buy it. Unless you find one of those "2 for $5" DVD bins...then it is a good price, imo.

You should have rented Uncharted 3. You could have saved $55 if you rented it (I assume you'd have a $15 a month rental cost from Gamefly or a $5 store rental).

My motto for buying a game for the console (PC is different due to Steam having good sales) is that if I want to play it and going to play it numerous times, I usually buy it.

Or I bought it if the game is going to take more than a week to play (so a longer game like RDR)

I rented when I wanted to try it out or I can beat it a few days.

But it's changed. Kids happened and I can't rent video games at the store so I either buy the game or not. Per month rental services are out the window because for 20 bucks a month, I would need to beat 3 games to make it worthwhile a month. Not going to happen.

On topic, I'm waiting to build a new computer before I get it. The beta was pretty good. Annoyed that it's on Origin but oh well.

Estacado
So right now Im at lvl 4 they added few new stuff like hacking turrets and turning them on the enemy ,bow,alien weapons.... nice game but nothing amazing.....

Tzeentch._
How about the uh... the single player?

I think we all kind of knew, deep down, that the multiplayer was going to be generic and flaccid.

Estacado
Lulz Im talking about the single player...then chapter 4 or however would you like to call it...stick out tongue

Tzeentch._
Oh god.

That's scary. lol

Estacado
So I would say its not worth the 60 dollars going by the campaign only but as soon as I finish the game gonna tell how long it took me to finish it and some of my impressions....though one of my friends beat it already and he said campaign is roughly 7 hours long...

Kazenji
Not that i'm going to be playing this one anytime soon

but one review that i seen, Basically said it feels more like an expansion then a new game. It also has some stupid moments in it for the narrative based objectives like for one involving a dam that i've seen......maximum switches, there was this whole thing around a dam and two generators, and once you'd switched the switches, you just blew up the whole thing anyway no expression

Estacado
Just blew up that dam....yeah that was kinda dumb....haermm

Estacado
So I beat the game under 6 hours and 34 minutes....It was pretty good it has cool moments story was ok....ending was kinda badass
You get to keep the perk you unlocked if you replay levels....
At the end You actually get to use a satellite as a cannon to blow up the Ceph invasion which are comingin from a warp gate....Imagine it like Prophet is floating in space and he uses some other rubble to jump onto a satellite he grabs it and uses it as a weapon....haermm

Tzeentch._
6 and a half hours, huh?

Whelp, can't say I'm surprised.

Estacado
And I was pretty much taking my time with secondary objectives and stealth killing most of the enemy.....

Smasandian
I don't really care.

I've played Crysis 4 times, Crysis Warhead 3 times and Crysis once (which will be 2 in a few weeks).

If I played it 2 times, which I will, then I have no issue with 60 bucks. If you enjoyed it hell out of it then the length = price shouldn't be an issue.

Tzeentch._
You really, really like Crytek. We get it. thumb up

Smasandian
It's for every game.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have a longer game and it's sucks that is shorter than the previous 3.

But, if you read a review and still buy it and then complain that it's short then its your own fault.

I don't mind spending 60 bucks if the game is awesome. I rather have an awesome than a crappy long one.

Estacado
I beat the game again on super soldier difficulty it was very easy.Basically all you need is to cloac yourself and kill everyone with the bow except in boss fights off course.It has 4 types of arrows....normal ,electric,sticky explosive and explosive...normal ones can be picked up after shooting them so you have limitless amount you can 1 shot kill even normal ceph withit heavy ceph can be 1 shoted with electric arrow...so its pretty much a cheating weapon...

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by Estacado
I beat the game again on super soldier difficulty it was very easy.Basically all you need is to cloak yourself

haermm

Your retort, BF? 313

Estacado
How hard can a game be when you can become invisible and 1 shot most of the enemy?stick out tongue

Tzeentch._
It's your fault for playing cheaply and not rushing at all the enemies while screaming leroy jenkins and blazing away with your assault rifle.

Estacado
To be fair on super soldier you have no crossair and aim guide...biscuits

BackFire
haermm

Your retort, BF? 313

Haven't played the game yet, so I can't say.

Though I wouldn't be surprised at all if the bow is borderline game breaking as far as difficulty is concerned. At least in the other ones if you attacked from stealth you'd become visible for a second. The bow not removing you from stealth always struck me as something that could be problematic and over powered if not handled very carefully, and from what I've heard, it wasn't.

Smasandian
It might get changed in a patch.

I remember the first game being really annoying because individual soldiers took like 5-6 hits to the chest before you can bring them down.

Which made your character less bad ass but the game more difficult. They lessened it in a few patches to make the guys take 1-2 hits instead, which made the game better. If your supposed to be a bad ass, make the character a bad ass.

Estacado
Also dont get the point of powerkicking large objects its almost impossible to hit anyone with them.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.