Why does America re-make English TV shows?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules_2
Shameless, IT crowd, Inbetweeners, The office, Red dwarf, friday night dinner, spaced...some of those haven't been made yet such as Spaced (far as I know) and inbetweeners I think is in the works. Whilst I do enjoy the office US version I hated the US IT crowd, it was awful. I'm always looking at my favorite TV shows and finding America is remaking them. Why does it feel the need to remake amazing English TV shows?

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by steverules_2
Shameless, IT crowd, Inbetweeners, The office, Red dwarf, friday night dinner, spaced...some of those haven't been made yet such as Spaced (far as I know) and inbetweeners I think is in the works. Whilst I do enjoy the office US version I hated the US IT crowd, it was awful. I'm always looking at my favorite TV shows and finding America is remaking them. Why does it feel the need to remake amazing English TV shows?

I'm not sure, maybe they like the concept but because we are so different culturally it just never works in the same way. The language for one thing, you mentioned Shameless, that may be funny because of the cultural vibe it's giving off. Even though I don't live in Manchester - where Shameless is based - I would get it more than the average American because I would understand the nuances in dialect, slang meanings and get cultural references a lot easier. When you try to move that to a different location the whole reason that makes Shameless funny to people gets lost in a different environment.

I think that's whats happened but it can work both ways we have Law & Order: UK (or, London really), not sure if it's any good though. Spaced finished ages ago so that wouldn't be adapted unless Pegg and the crew got back together and it became a hit again. I doubt he will, he's into doing movies these days...

Ushgarak
The general feel in US tv is that any show has to be culturally re-aligned to their perspective. I think that's a self-fulfilling prophecy myself and if they could break the cycle it would start to look silly.

Regardless, it has a long history in the US, with varying success. Two versions of Red Dwarf crashed and burned, but three decades apart there were successful adaptations of Steptoe & Son and The Office.

Though nearly everyone has tried their own version of The Office. Heck, there are two versions in French- one for France, one for Quebec.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Regardless, it has a long history in the US, with varying success. Two versions of Red Dwarf crashed and burned, but three decades apart there were successful adaptations of Steptoe & Son and The Office.

I had no idea they tried to re-make Red Dwarf, I'm afraid to even check because ours was just hilarious, the Vindaloovian episode makes me laugh every time. I saw an interview on the BBC with Craig Charles and they're planning a new series apparently, to be aired September 2012 if Wikipedia has it right.

steverules_2
No one can replace the red dwarf cast, no one could replace Moss in IT crowd which is probably why they used him in the US version although the other cast of the UK version couldn't be replaced either hence why it didn't work well for the US. I will admit the US office makes me laugh a lot more than the UK version. Dwight is a favorite character of mine.

Omega Vision
Because British studios makes big bucks selling their ideas to American studios.

Digi
Short answer: Money and precedent.

srankmissingnin

There is an American Remake of Misfits on the way too. cool

The most obvious reason they remake instead of simply importing existing tv series is that North American tv audiences are used to 22 episode seasons, instead of six - twelve. If a concept is good the can make money with NA audiences... but we are spoiled with 22 episode seasons so something has to give.

Personally I prefer US versions of Shameless and Being Human, as well as the first couple season of The Office to the UK versions. I don't like either version of the IT Crowd (really really don't like), I haven't seen US versions of Red Dwarf or Friday Night Dinner but IMO the original incarnations of those shows are f@cking terrible so a remake has the unfortunate task of improving terrible source material. I don't have much faith that Spaced will be successfully adapted in the US version, that show was amazing.

On the bright side remaking The Office lead to Parks and Rec, which is far superior to either version of The Office ever was... maybe that will happen again, but we will need to remake every UK show to find out! evil face

Mindset
Being Human is actually Canadian made based in the US.

steverules_2
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
There is an American Remake of Misfits on the way too. cool

The most obvious reason they remake instead of simply importing existing tv series is that North American tv audiences are used to 22 episode seasons, instead of six - twelve. If a concept is good the can make money with NA audiences... but we are spoiled with 22 episode seasons so something has to give.

Personally I prefer US versions of Shameless and Being Human, as well as the first couple season of The Office to the UK versions. I don't like either version of the IT Crowd (really really don't like), I haven't seen US versions of Red Dwarf or Friday Night Dinner but IMO the original incarnations of those shows are f@cking terrible so a remake has the unfortunate task of improving terrible source material. I don't have much faith that Spaced will be successfully adapted in the US version, that show was amazing.

On the bright side remaking The Office lead to Parks and Rec, which is far superior to either version of The Office ever was... maybe that will happen again, but we will need to remake every UK show to find out! evil face

Why do you say we? Canada isn't remaking UK TV shows...America is, far as I know you guys are seperated from each other. Unless your location is Canada...but you're not Canadian...

Mindset
Why do you say we? Canada isn't remaking UK TV shows...America is, far as I know you guys are seperated from each other. Unless your location is Canada...but you're not Canadian... Originally posted by Mindset
Being Human is actually Canadian made based in the US.

Seriously, couldn't look one post up?

srankmissingnin
Why do you say we? Canada isn't remaking UK TV shows...America is, far as I know you guys are seperated from each other. Unless your location is Canada...but you're not Canadian...

In Canada we have the television programing more or less as they do in the States. The same shows, on the same days and at the same times. There are CRTC regulations for Canadian Content on television during prime time but that is more or less filled by local news, and the few legitimate Canada television shows that are made to fill the void are generally terrible. The only one I even watch is Mr. D. I suppose there are Canadian versions of all the terrible Idol type shows... but I'm under 50 and have a penis so I don't watch that crap.

Being Human is a joint US / Canada production Mindset. cool

Mindset
It's produced by Canadians and almost entirely directed by Canadians in Canada.

The writers are probably from the US though, since Canadians are illiterate.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Mindset
Seriously, couldn't look one post up?

You listed one show that was Candian...didn't exactly mean the other shows were

Greysen93
Yeah, I mean I know it's about the money and how putting a tv show in a different place makes it different, but for the most part, the American version ends up being worse. Like Being Human for example, is worse. I actually do like the American version of Shameless, but a lot of other shows are worse

steverules_2
I don't want an American re-make of inbetweeners, I love that show...it's my favorite

Mindset
You listed one show that was Candian...didn't exactly mean the other shows were I only needed to post one show.

steverules_2
Dunno if there's any others I've missed out

Lord Shadow Z
They re-made 'Life on Mars' with Harvey Keitel which I'm not really fussed about because I didn't watch either but I'm not sure it took off.

Mindset
IT crowd never aired btw.

steverules_2
Yeah I saw why it never aired, it wasn't good

srankmissingnin
Yeah I saw why it never aired, it wasn't good

Obviously, it was based on the IT Crowd after all.

steverules_2
The UK one aired...the US version didn't, 'nuff said

srankmissingnin
The UK one aired...the US version didn't, 'nuff said

The US pilot was a shot for shot remake of the UK. It was bad, because the UK version was bad, and Big Bang Theory is all ready filling the slot of a terrible sitcom about nerds.

steverules_2
If the UK version was sooo bad it wouldn't have gone on for 4 seasons, it was a hilarious show and still is. The US version wasn't funny because the actors (apart from Moss) weren't funny and were terrible. And it wasn't a shot for shot remake, I saw differences between the two and although there weren't many there were some.

srankmissingnin
If the UK version was sooo bad it wouldn't have gone on for 4 seasons, it was a hilarious show and still is. The US version wasn't funny because the actors (apart from Moss) weren't funny and were terrible. And it wasn't a shot for shot remake, I saw differences between the two and although there weren't many there were some.

Quality doesn't dictate the success of a show, viewership does. Two and a Half Men is on it's 9th season... and it's one of the most terrible atrocities mankind has ever committed. The IT Crowd is terrible.

The US version was essentially a shot for shot remake, the sets were obviously different and some of the shots variety but other than that it was exactly the same. The failure of the pilot had nothing to do with the abilities of the actors, we've seen that Joel McHale is great on Community and even the worst episode of Community is better than the toilet swill that was the IT Crowd. It was the terrible dialogue / story / set pieces that killed the show... and NBC airs some truly awful programming (Whitney / Chelsey).

Mindset
IT crowd is pretty mediocre, I couldn't get through more than a few eps.

How Not to Live Your Life is good.

steverules_2
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Quality doesn't dictate the success of a show, viewership does. Two and a Half Men is on it's 9th season... and it's one of the most terrible atrocities mankind has ever committed. The IT Crowd is terrible.

The US version was essentially a shot for shot remake, the sets were obviously different and some of the shots variety but other than that it was exactly the same. The failure of the pilot had nothing to do with the abilities of the actors, we've seen that Joel McHale is great on Community and even the worst episode of Community is better than the toilet swill that was the IT Crowd. It was the terrible dialogue / story / set pieces that killed the show... and NBC airs some truly awful programming (Whitney / Chelsey).

Whilst you have a point I still disagree about the IT crowd

Lord Shadow Z
First series of the UK IT Crowd was funny as hell but the second didn't match up to it for me. Bringing in that annoying new boss and almost revolving every episode about him was a terrible decision. They also tried to be more 'current' with topical issues when it was better in a self contained environment like the basement office.

siriuswriter
Well, in the case of The Office, the British version would have never have played on American prime time TV on a non-cable channel, due to the "naughty bits" in the UK version.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
First series of the UK IT Crowd was funny as hell but the second didn't match up to it for me. Bringing in that annoying new boss and almost revolving every episode about him was a terrible decision. They also tried to be more 'current' with topical issues when it was better in a self contained environment like the basement office.

I actually like all the series, heck I have them all on DVD. I loved it when they gave Jen 'The internet' (a little box with a blinking light), the bit where Roy was talking about getting a massage and having hiss butt kissed at the end then yelling at Jen who was off screen 'WILL YOU STOP LAUGHING!' or the over the top advert for illegally downloading movies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.