The Elder Scolls Online

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys

Smasandian
I think it's dumb.

From comments about the announcement is that fans of the series are not too high on the direction of the game because it's not really a Elder Scrolls. While never played and I'm probably wrong but at least TOR took an mmo and applied what people liked about Bioware games by adding a pretty in depth storyline.

Ushgarak
Hmm.

Much as I disliked the 'you can become master of every craft and guild' feel of Elder Scrolls- which is not to say I hated the whole franchise- it's whole schtick was about being the definitive high fantasy RP where you played one guy in a super-detailed world of your own to explore and thrive in. A lot of people liked that.

As an MMO... it's just another fantasy MMO. You can't be the best in the world at everything because genuine other players would be competing with you for that.

That's not in itself a disaster, but what's clear is that this is being done because it CAN be done, and not because it thematically reflects the franchise in any way. That being so, it will have to do a heck of a lot to break out the fantasy MMO mold, and I really doubt it will. Still, we'll see.

(Much as I love Guild Wars, the fact that it is also just another fantasy MMO is a strike against it, but I think they've been distinct in enough other ways to justify it- plus, Guild Wars was built from the ground up to be thematically MMO-orientated, where Elder Scrolls has not).

Peach
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/t6kce/the_elder_wars_guild_scrolls_2_online/

Has bits and pieces from the leaked article.

It's The Elder Scrolls: Tyria.

Ushgarak
Actually, having an Elder-Scrolls style combat system would make it a bit distinct, though TERA is already going down the action-combat direction (and Guild Wars 2, now I've played it, is a kind of action-WoW mix).

Other than that- yes, that is suspiciously similar to GW2. Not that I am complaining if MMOs are shifting in that direction.

Talking of which- one can only wonder if there is a monthly fee involved...

Nephthys
Ush, I agree with you that there are too many Fantasy MMO's out right now. I would have been more excited for Fallout Online tbh.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Nephthys

'First of all, the game is relatively traditional MMO, with a hotbar, a third-person perspective, no real-time combat, player-versus-player, and character classes. I'll pass.

Voice acting is not a substitute for good gameplay. TOR sucks for that very reason.

Also, Ush: I can't see any of the gameplay vids so I dunno what the gameplay looks like, but I'm assuming that if there is no real-time combat, it probably won't play like a traditional TES game. More like a traditional point and click mmorpg.

In other words: lame.

Peach
A fully real-time combat system like you see in TES games would be really hard to do in an MMO; imagine how difficult to play it'd be for people who don't have a really good connection with low ping.

And Ush, I do agree that I rather like the idea that more games are shifting to GW2's way of doing things. What bothered me was the constant claims of "We came up with this", as well as the fact that in the quotes posted they mention just about every other major MMO but the one that's already doing (and doing very well) everything they're doing.

Also, Neph, Bethesda's not actually making the game. It's being done by Zenimax. So maybe, at least, it won't be one massive bug-fest.

I do have to wonder just who they're aiming this game at, though. TES fans seem to be not hot on it, and non-TES MMO fans are going to be less likely to bite, I think; especially if it's subscription-based. Who do they really think is going to play?

^ That is a very good question.

All I can assume is that they were expecting TES fans to go crazy for it, after all the Skyrim hype.

Also, isn't Tera online's combat fully real-time?

Peach
To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about Tera other than the fact that I've seen some really ridiculous artwork from it, and supposedly it's action combat. It didn't catch my interest in any way, so I've not followed anything about it.

Ushgarak
I understood Tera had gone that way, yes. Likewise, Monster Hunter plays full action combat online, and was rather good. MH is not casual friendly though; I am not sure of Tera was more accessible.

dadudemon
Well, I had fun with Skyrim. It made me like TES series.

Now...I will probably never play an Elder Scrolls game, again. Sad, really. Why does everyone think that all gamers like online games. Skyrim sold so well that it shocked people: it is not an "online" game. So why would they move in a direction that is not similar to its success of the past? Makes no sense. sad

Maybe if they continue to create games like the "older" Elder Scrolls games, while nurturing the MMORPG, that would be okay. Then I could have my cake and eat it, too.

Phanteros
So this pretty much what I feared it to be. Elder Scrolls Generica WoW Clone.

NemeBro
Originally posted by dadudemon
Well, I had fun with Skyrim. It made me like TES series.

Now...I will probably never play an Elder Scrolls game, again. Sad, really. Why does everyone think that all gamers like online games. Skyrim sold so well that it shocked people: it is not an "online" game. So why would they move in a direction that is not similar to its success of the past? Makes no sense. sad

Maybe if they continue to create games like the "older" Elder Scrolls games, while nurturing the MMORPG, that would be okay. Then I could have my cake and eat it, too. You are aware that Bethesda Game Studios gave this title to Zenimax so that they could continue to work on their own projects (Aka the main TES series and presumably Fallout), right?

I mean... Really, it's not like this game is signalling the end of the series.

BackFire
Gonna just stick with single player RPG's I think. Done with the whole MMO thing most likely. As long as this doesn't affect any future single player Elder Scrolls games, I don't care.

dadudemon
Originally posted by NemeBro
You are aware that Bethesda Game Studios gave this title to Zenimax so that they could continue to work on their own projects (Aka the main TES series and presumably Fallout), right?

I mean... Really, it's not like this game is signalling the end of the series.

No, I did not realize that. I did not know that that is what they were doing with this MMO. Thank holy hell that they are not converting to MMORPG. Remember Warcraft? yeah..........I do not think there is hope to get a and RTS like Warcraft IV. Based on that assumption, I thought the single player RPG stuff was going the way of Warcraft RTSs.

macleod1979
I admit I am curious. I was a big fan of Skyrim, and TES in general. The MMO sounds like it could be fun. Though I do think there are way too many fantasy mmo's out there. I'd like to see some different genres. Perhaps Secret World and World of Darkness online will be what we need. I would also love to see a western mmo, like Read Dead Redemption!

dadudemon
Originally posted by macleod1979
I admit I am curious. I was a big fan of Skyrim, and TES in general. The MMO sounds like it could be fun. Though I do think there are way too many fantasy mmo's out there. I'd like to see some different genres. Perhaps Secret World and World of Darkness online will be what we need. I would also love to see a western mmo, like Read Dead Redemption!

Saw your post in the religion section. Welcome to KMC. smile

But, yes, the general consensus seems to be that we have too many fantasy MMOs.

Peach
Originally posted by Phanteros
So this pretty much what I feared it to be. Elder Scrolls Generica WoW Clone.

Except they're not cloning WoW.

Nephthys
Its just been announced. Its too early to write it off, at least until we see some gameplay.

NemeBro
My personal thoughts.

Admittedly since I am probably the biggest TES fanboy nerd on the site I will probably play it regardless, lol.

what a loser ^

dadudemon
My personal thoughts.

Admittedly since I am probably the biggest TES fanboy nerd on the site I will probably play it regardless, lol.

How dare you be a traitor to the series and sell-out to the money grubbers! mad mad mad mad

Bullmonkéy
Hope the future isn't all mmos for this series. Sounds generic

Greysen93
This would be so awesome if it wasn't just for PC, although it would be pretty hard to do on a console, but still it sucks

Nephthys
So I'm reading about people complaining that the factions don't make sense. How in the Lore, Dunmer, Nords and Argonians ****ing hate each other and would never work together and how the Redgaurds and Breton's oppress the hell out of Orcs and they shouldn't be working together either.

It looks like the 'evil' faction is the only one with its shit on straight. Khajiit ftw!

NemeBro
Which is all being addressed, lol

Nephthys
I hope so. It wouldn't be the first time an MMO screwed with a settings canon.

NemeBro
umad?

Nephthys
Yes! Lightsabers weren't used by the Sith until after the Great Hyperspace War and yet Swtor acts as if protosabers didn't even exist!

How can the developers be so STUPID!!!

Nephthys
Ton of details yo. Check dat video for lots of info.

Also the german MMO site buffed.de just released their "first look" of the game.

Not a lot of new information but I'll list the things that I didn't find in the OP at a glance.

Class list:
- Sorcerer
- Temp Rogue
- Warden
- Templar
- Dragon Knight

Sorcerer and Temp Rogue seem to be placeholders.

Same as in previous Elder Scrolls games you unlock skill improvements by using the basic skills.
According to the developers, the system is built for longevity and you can improve skills even way past maximum level.
On certain stages skills "branch out". For example, the basic "Slam" makes you choose between "Reverberating Slam" and "Shattering Slam" by skill level 5.

Weapon combinations are limited to:
- One-Handed / Shield
- Two-Handed
- Dual Wield
- Bow
- Two-Handed Staff
- One-Handed and Rune (whatever that is)

By leveling up you gain points that you can spend in Health, Magicka or Stamina.
Distributing these points holds passive bonuses. If you invest in Health for example, your block chance increases. Same for your runspeed if you invest in Stamina instead, as well as maximum Mana for Magicka.

Soul Gems from Skyrim make a return and can be put in weapons to improve their stats. The system seems similar to WoW.

Stats on items are:
- Health
- Magicka
- Stamina
- Armor
- Power

And finally, it is possible to post about your character progression to Facebook without leaving the game.

Here is the link. Get Google Translate on standby.

Digi
I feel like if I played this game, I'd want to have a distinct persona and actually RP. Will have to hope the world is as large and vibrant as the earlier games, not just catered to hardcore players who are min-maxing.

Nephthys
Well since its taking place across the entirety of Cyrodil hopefully it'll be pretty big. All they need to do recreate the landscape from the other games and then work on the places we haven't seen yet. Cyrodil is pretty well-documented in terms of size and appearance.

TheOneOfMortis
This could be the next MMO I decide to get into... I think Bethesda may prove to be very well suited for this genre.

the ninjak
Introduction to Elder Scrolls Online

1_Fr6VF_1LA

NemeBro
Originally posted by Nephthys
Well since its taking place across the entirety of Cyrodil hopefully it'll be pretty big. All they need to do recreate the landscape from the other games and then work on the places we haven't seen yet. Cyrodil is pretty well-documented in terms of size and appearance. Not necessarily.

I have forgotten and am too lazy to look it up, but is this before, after, or during Tiber Septim's reign?

Because Septim literally reshaped the land and climate of Cyrodiil.

As for like, Skyrim, Morrowind and shit? Yeah.

TheOneOfMortis
This looks pretty amazing tbh. In a way I hope Guild Wars 2 fails just to show that completely switching up a formula isnt always a good thing and that the traditional mmo, done properly is the best ways to go.

Phanteros
Not necessarily.

I have forgotten and am too lazy to look it up, but is this before, after, or during Tiber Septim's reign?

As for like, Skyrim, Morrowind and shit? Yeah. I think this takes place during the Second era(When the Reman empire ruled) so Cyrodill should look like a jungle right now.

the ninjak
Personally hate MMOs and I can't believe they are doing this.

Though I considering the history this could still work wonders.

Though the castle seiges look promising.

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by TheOneOfMortis
This looks pretty amazing tbh. In a way I hope Guild Wars 2 fails just to show that completely switching up a formula isnt always a good thing and that the traditional mmo, done properly is the best ways to go. lol

Nephthys
Not necessarily.

As for like, Skyrim, Morrowind and shit? Yeah.

The game is set 1000 years in the past and Septim was like.... 600? years before Skyrim? So before I think. Which is why you can't play as an Imperial because the Empire doesn't really exist yet?

Nephthys
SLp0ykvotEI

This looks promising actually.

Nephthys
Whoops, 3 posts in a row. How sad 4 me. Quick, someone show interest in this so I don't look like a wierdo.

EDHa-77cy3I

Basically an explanation of the story and factions.

It pleases my sensibilities to learn that 3 out of 4 of the great leaders of Tamriel are women in the game. Feminist agenda ftw!

FinalAnswer
One of them is little more then a figurehead though. O:

NemeBro
Not to mention quality over quantity.

Tiber Septim is without debate the most important ruler of Cyrodiil.

But Nephthys said Tamriel.

That's... A lot of people dude lol. Not all important leaders were Empire-based.

Nephthys
Elder Scrolls Online Hands-On Preview. From the Escapist.

Bethesda shows off 30 minutes of The Elder Scrolls Online From Destructoid.

When I first heard about this game it sounded pretty dumb to me, but all that I've seen looks really great and is making me legitimately excited for the game.

Theres a bunch of info in both links, including looks at the character customization which is extensive, the skill system and the gameplay. You can play in first person or third, read books (which I'm sure Nemebro will like), ride horses, join guilds (mages, fighters, thieves etc), become a vampire or werewolf etc etc.

Digi
This does indeed look promising. I just don't have the time to devote to an MMO anymore, so almost be default I can't consider purchasing this. A shame, too, because I love TES and have played every game since Daggerfall.

Nephthys
The general consensus about the beta seems to be that the game is pretty good and would be a solid MMO........ if it was f2p.

Lots of b*tching otherwise.

Stealth Moose
Apparently, UPlay is trying to bundle, so if you buy TESO game, you get a discount or free copy of AC something or other.

But I still won't pay outright for an MMO. I'd rather pay for optional aesthetic things piecemeal, which usually results in me wasting more money anyways.

Nephthys
I82pz60iGL0

The PvP looks pretty good.

ares834
Nice to see people are enjoying the game.

Utrigita
Will be joining it today, have been enjoying the Beta so will also give the game itself a go smile As long as some of the bugs are removed from the quest line I won't ask for more.

Phoenix3068
Gonna be getting it myself along with the PS4. Really hoping for something good.

Stoic
I saw some very good things about this game, but I'm not sure that it's worth the monthly fee to play it. When I saw how it played though, I got the same feeling that I had when I first played Morrowind many years ago, which will likely be the sole reason for me purchasing a PS4, or making a new rig. There were a few people that stated that it felt like there was no reason to play the game due to uninteresting quests, but I guess everyone has their opinions. The idea that i liked the most about this title, is that they still allow you to do whatever you want in terms of character builds, and I've always liked the idea of being a sorcery supreme/Battle Axe wielding Warlord. They seemed to balance off the armor degradation thing with "If you get killed, and don't have a soul gem to revive yourself, you armor will degrade". Nice touch I thought. But, I was not clear on whether or not you could still enchant items with soul gems?

I really enjoyed the graphics upgrades that I saw, and the incredible diverse customizable looks that you can detail your toon. The look of the armor didn't look as cutting edge as I'd have liked, reminding me a lot of the armor styles that I saw in Kingdoms of Amalur, but like I said, the game world looked pretty sweet from the video that i saw on youtube. Can't wait to give it a whirl..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.