Joss Whedon on JL Movier,or Why I HATE Joss Whedon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Flyattractor
At the bottom of the bit Jossy gives his view on the probs doing a JL movie...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/joss-whedons-advice-for-a-justice-league-movie-more-from-the-cast-of-the-avengers-20120503

AND THAT IS THE REASON THAT F-ING BAG BOY USES!?

JOSS WhEDON IS A MARVEL TOOL!

God I hate that douche!

Him and his stupid fans are and have RUINED Sci Fi and Comics!

mad

ares834
So you hate him for telling the truth? He's right DC characters are bigger than life, it's why I prefer them to Marvel's.

And I doubt Whedon is a Marvel fanboy. He initially intended to create a Batman movie but his ideas were rejected. Plus his shows reference DC characters more than they do Marvel.

Flyattractor
That may have been true 30 years ago but not now!
its a tired old line that marvel uses to try and make stupid whiney teenagers buy their soap oprea dramatic bull rags!

ares834
But it's still true. Most of the DC characters are godlike. In fact, in the new Justice League comics one of the characters writes a book called "The Gods Among Us".

Personally, I don't see it as an insult as I prefer the myth-like stories of DC to the more humancentric stories of Marvel.

Flyattractor
Its more like that fact that its being used as an insult.

Placidity
Meh, DC characters are more godlike? I agree personally, but visit the Comic Vs Forum where Hulk and Thor reign supreme.

Kazenji
Yeah.... as great as DC characters are they're too perfect unlike with Marvel's they have their problems.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Kazenji
Yeah.... as great as DC characters are they're too perfect unlike with Marvel's they have their problems. Yeah.

Happy Dance

Placidity
Only Superman fits the description of being too perfect, same could be said of Captain America though. Batman has issues. Hal Jordan has massive issues, etc...

Flyattractor
Tony Stark Billionare Playboy and Technical Genus.
Cap America. Man from the 1940's who was a physical wimp that took a super drug and became a superhuman.
Thor. A God with Great Powers from a Magical Realm filled with Monsters
The Hulk. A Dorky Super Scientist that can chance into a near mindless City Smashing Behemouth.
hawkeye. man with super aim that grew up in a circus run by criminals that is a secret goverment agent
Black Widow a Super Assasian femme fetale.

Not finding a lot that I can relate with.

ares834
Indeed it's not that DC characters are perfect but rather their nature.

Consider Stark, he is Ironman but that's his alterego not who he really is. It's the same way with Hulk and Spiderman and many orhers. Now consider Superman and Batman, those are their true personalities while Clark and Bruce are who they pretend to be.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Placidity
Only Superman fits the description of being too perfect, same could be said of Captain America though. Batman has issues. Hal Jordan has massive issues, etc...

DC heroes are usually people that we can aspire to be, while Marvel heroes are more the people we are. If you think about alot of the Justuce League, with the except of Batman, alot of their motivations for being superheroes is simply because its the right thing to do, while the Marvel guys all have relatable, human motivations. DC heroes are usually very pure, heroic characters.

Nothing wrong with either character, but something to note.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Nephthys
DC heroes are usually people that we can aspire to be, while Marvel heroes are more the people we are. If you think about alot of the Justuce League, with the except of Batman, alot of their motivations for being superheroes is simply because its the right thing to do, while the Marvel guys all have relatable, human motivations. DC heroes are usually very pure, heroic characters.

Nothing wrong with either character, but something to note.

Except that it hasn't been true for years for a several of those characters, or even ever, for some of them.

It's an incredibly antiquated and outdated idea, and isn't really true anymore, bar maybe for Superman. Everyone else had different reasons than it simply "being right".

It's one of the reasons why I was so disappointed by Whedon's interview, because I honestly thought he was better than that.

Nephthys
I'm talking broad strokes here. There have been hundreds of titles exploring these characters. But if you ask someone why Superman or Wonder Woman fight crime I doubt they'd give much of an answer beyond that.

Flyattractor
DC. I have powers and abilities and I want to help someone.
Marvel. Something BAD happened to me and thus that is the only reason I fight EVL!

Marvel is full of jerks.

Ok that I can relate too.

-Pr-
I'm talking broad strokes here. There have been hundreds of titles exploring these characters. But if you ask someone why Superman or Wonder Woman fight crime I doubt they'd give much of an answer beyond that.

That doesn't make it right, though, is all I'm saying.

marwash22
Originally posted by Flyattractor
DC. I have powers and abilities and I want to help someone.
Marvel. Something BAD happened to me and thus that is the only reason I fight EVL!

Marvel is full of jerks.

Ok that I can relate too. y r u so mad tho?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by marwash22
y r u so mad tho? Because I enjoy beng mad.

RRRRARRRGHHH!

blowup

Fly get SMASHED Bread Stuff!

Scythe
Hulking out?

Flyattractor
Flyattactoring out..

wine

Myth
Sounds like OP is a DC fanboy who is upset jealous of the success of the Avengers.

Scythe
Lookin' at the whole: "Oh, I have this in common with this superhero" thing, I would think alot more people would find more common ground with Mavel heroes over DC heroes. Lots of people are nerdy Peter Parker/Bruce Banner-ish, not many are Amazonian.

Placidity
My top preferences for DC/Marvel

Street Level: DC - Batman

Mid Level: Marvel - X-men / Spider-man

High Level: DC - Justice League

-Pr-
Originally posted by Scythe
Lookin' at the whole: "Oh, I have this in common with this superhero" thing, I would think alot more people would find more common ground with Mavel heroes over DC heroes. Lots of people are nerdy Peter Parker/Bruce Banner-ish, not many are Amazonian.

Well, how many radioactive spiders have bitten you lately?

besides, you're comparing a heritage to a personality. not very fair stick out tongue

Flyattractor
Just saw the movie. I will admit it was somewhere between good and great but not the I just goo'ed my pants like so many others think.

And I will stand by my belief that I DO NOT WANT JOSS F-ING BAG HEAD WHEDON NEAR A JL MOVIE!

Nuff said.

Scythe
Originally posted by -Pr-
Well, how many radioactive spiders have bitten you lately?

besides, you're comparing a heritage to a personality. not very fair stick out tongue

For the most part, I meant. I find myself seeing eye-to-eye with the stuff Spidey deals with, like rent, balancing a relationship with work and all that stuff, but there's still a shit-ton of DC characters I love reading about cuz they're larger-than-life. I also think the average rich billionaire, playboy in the real world would lead a life closer to that of Tony Stark, over the let's say Bruce Wayne. Though personality-wise, I know a bunch of really nice people who I can see relate to Aquaman or Supes.

-Pr-
For the most part, I meant. I find myself seeing eye-to-eye with the stuff Spidey deals with, like rent, balancing a relationship with work and all that stuff, but there's still a shit-ton of DC characters I love reading about cuz they're larger-than-life. I also think the average rich billionaire, playboy in the real world would lead a life closer to that of Tony Stark, over the let's say Bruce Wayne. Though personality-wise, I know a bunch of really nice people who I can see relate to Aquaman or Supes.

Aquaman isn't nice. no expression

Seriously. He's an *******.

Also, plenty of DC characters deal with stuff that most of us can relate to. Flash's wife had a miscarriage, his marriage collapsed, and then after finally repairing things, found that he couldn't pay the bills. Green Arrow battled his infidelity as much as he did villains, and even went celibate trying to win back Canary. Superman and Lois have had marriage troubles to the point that Martha Kent told Lois to basically STFU at a family dinner once.

Then there's Hal Jordan. Don't ever get me started on him. DUI's, bad relationships, broken family, the list goes on.

Some of them can be larger than life, but that's only generally when they're in costume. They're still people too.

Just saw the movie. I will admit it was somewhere between good and great but not the I just goo'ed my pants like so many others think.

And I will stand by my belief that I DO NOT WANT JOSS F-ING BAG HEAD WHEDON NEAR A JL MOVIE!

Nuff said.

If Joss Whedon stopped with the whole "dc characters can't be related to" bullshit, he could make an awesome JLA movie. He has the chops for sure.

Greysen93

Also, plenty of DC characters deal with stuff that most of us can relate to. Flash's wife had a miscarriage, his marriage collapsed, and then after finally repairing things, found that he couldn't pay the bills. Green Arrow battled his infidelity as much as he did villains, and even went celibate trying to win back Canary. Superman and Lois have had marriage troubles to the point that Martha Kent told Lois to basically STFU at a family dinner once.

Then there's Hal Jordan. Don't ever get me started on him. DUI's, bad relationships, broken family, the list goes on.

Some of them can be larger than life, but that's only generally when they're in costume. They're still people too.

If Joss Whedon stopped with the whole "dc characters can't be related to" bullshit, he could make an awesome JLA movie. He has the chops for sure. I completely agree

Digi
Well, there's something to be said for Whedon's comments. Even the Batman films, which have been very successful, embrace the idea of Batman. It's something greater...practically conceptual. But nobody pretends that Nolan's Batman would play well with others in a movie context.

I always enjoyed how DC portrayed their biggest guns as almost mythical. It has nothing to do with origins; none of us have anything in common with any hero if we try to look at origins or powers. But I can see that as presenting a challenge to a director.

Still, we're trying to find a root philosophical cause to DC's ineptitude in movies. And there isn't one. Is it that their characters aren't relatable? No. It's simply that they haven't been trying for a JLA movie the same way Marvel has, and they've had some flops. Marvel had a clearer vision, but they also got lucky to an extent that none of the lead-up films were terrible.

Or we could just look at DC's current superiority in comic sales, or their vast success with their animated franchises (Superman, Batman, JLA, JLU, Batman Beyond, etc.) and say that they're doing ok, which they really are.

Also: Whedon's comment isn't completely wrong, but it's also being blown out of proportion. A couple throwaway lines about another company on an interview panel shouldn't really be cause for ANY sort of extreme reaction.

Esau Cairn
Its more like that fact that its being used as an insult.

Whether you're a Whedon fan or not, I think you're totally missing the point.

Whedon has proven with his writing & directing skills that he can juggle multiple characters in a story & on screen & give each one equal status & importance in a story.

Yeah even though FireFly was ill-fated, he wrote & juggled nine different characters, that's a skill not many writers/directors have.

Scythe

Is he? I'm not all that familiar with Aquaman's life outside the costume. What's up with that though? I'm seeing alot of people not really having any basic knowledge of who the DC characters are alter-ego wise. As opposed to Marvel characters. Man, DC characters need exposure in the form of several live-action films. I'd hella watch a Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Martian Manhunter flick.

-Pr-
Is he? I'm not all that familiar with Aquaman's life outside the costume. What's up with that though? I'm seeing alot of people not really having any basic knowledge of who the DC characters are alter-ego wise. As opposed to Marvel characters. Man, DC characters need exposure in the form of several live-action films. I'd hella watch a Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Martian Manhunter flick.

He has the same kind of role in the League as Wolverine has with the X-Men. He's usually the disagreeable one, and doesn't tow the company line quite as well as anyone else.

Plus, for a lot of the heroes, the League and their heroing is their primary responsibility. For Aquaman it isn't. He's a king and a husband more than he'll ever be a hero.

Plus, he once left a guy to be "judged" by sharks after proclaiming him guilty of a heinous crime.

Scythe
He has the same kind of role in the League as Wolverine has with the X-Men. He's usually the disagreeable one, and doesn't tow the company line quite as well as anyone else.

Plus, for a lot of the heroes, the League and their heroing is their primary responsibility. For Aquaman it isn't. He's a king and a husband more than he'll ever be a hero.

Plus, he once left a guy to be "judged" by sharks after proclaiming him guilty of a heinous crime.

Holy shit, that in itself would make an awesome movie. I'd watch that over a Sub-Mariner movie any day.

marwash22
Namor has WINGS... ON HIS FEET! ON. HIS. FEET, BRO!

-Pr-
Holy shit, that in itself would make an awesome movie. I'd watch that over a Sub-Mariner movie any day.

He also once flooded Pearl Harbour, and told Japan that if they weren't going to turn over a man guilty of certain crimes, that they were forbidden from using the seas. Period.

Oh, and he can summon the Kraken and fight monsters that look like Lovecraft inventions.

Existere
Originally posted by Digi
Also: Whedon's comment isn't completely wrong, but it's also being blown out of proportion. A couple throwaway lines about another company on an interview panel shouldn't really be cause for ANY sort of extreme reaction. This.

I don't think Whedon's comments should be taken to mean he thinks DC's characters are outdated or unrelatable, but rather that they naturally might pose greater hurdles for a director who wants to translate what they're all about to the big screen and to a modern audience.

The binary belief that Marvel is about relatable grunge and DC is about two-dimensional angel-analogues is ridiculous, but there is some fact and truth buried there that causes these exaggerations to pop up.

Juk3n
Whedon doesn't seem like he's insulting anyone, indeed its likely that he's not, knowing what we know about his career. He has a point and thats all. I kinda agree.

Superman - super speed / strength / flight/ others nigh indestructable
Wonder woman - super speed / strength / flight/ others inc indestructable weapons
Captain M - super speed / strength / flight/ others nigh indestructable
Hal - super speed / strength / flight/ others, power limited only by his imagination..
Flash - one of the fastest beings in the universe

The line up is stacked and i have a hard enough time believeing SUpermans peril letalone an entire team of "supermen" on top of that (playing devils advocate) i have to believe that 'movie' batman offers anything in the range of offensive or defensive or tactical options that these 5 Gods are somehow unable to factor into planetary or Galactic affairs, even though Batman doesn't operate at those levels.

Its a stretch too far and i dont think anyone is up to the challenge. The one person that COULD do it - Whedon - says it's not currently viable and not a simple translation and hes right. Too many factors to make a cohesive character story with believeable team mechanic and convincing peril. imo

Scythe
Originally posted by marwash22
Namor has WINGS... ON HIS FEET! ON. HIS. FEET, BRO!

Wait, ON HIS FEET?!

-Pr-
Originally posted by Juk3n
Whedon doesn't seem like he's insulting anyone, indeed its likely that he's not, knowing what we know about his career. He has a point and thats all. I kinda agree.

Wonder woman - super speed / strength / flight/ others inc indestructable weapons
Hal - super speed / strength / flight/ others, power limited only by his imagination..

The line up is stacked and i have a hard enough time believeing SUpermans peril letalone an entire team of "supermen" on top of that (playing devils advocate) i have to believe that 'movie' batman offers anything in the range of offensive or defensive or tactical options that these 5 Gods are somehow unable to factor into planetary or Galactic affairs, even though Batman doesn't operate at those levels.

Its a stretch too far and i dont think anyone is up to the challenge. The one person that COULD do it - Whedon - says it's not currently viable and not a simple translation and hes right. Too many factors to make a cohesive character story with believeable team mechanic and convincing peril. imo

They could use any one of a dozen villains from the comics. Or even a dozen villains.

Wait, ON HIS FEET?!

Yep.

Newjak
I do agree in that I feel a JLA movie is going to be harder to do than an Avengers movie.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Juk3n

God I don't know who I hate more. WHEDON or his FANS that say crap like this.

Placidity
If they make a JL movie, they should definitely use a different Batman, and not Nolan's.

Would love to see a mega battle against villains like the one in the DCU game cinematic trailer, and not just bashing random aliens.

-Pr-

That's going a bit far...

Nephthys
Originally posted by Placidity
If they make a JL movie, they should definitely use a different Batman, and not Nolan's.

Would love to see a mega battle against villains like the one in the DCU game cinematic trailer, and not just bashing random aliens.

That trailer is amazing. Same team who made the SWTOR trailer right? I wish those guys would make a movie, they're just fantastic.

the ninjak

Someones green with envy.

roughrider
Hey, Mark Millar used to write for DC once, and he's said the same thing about the problems adapting many of their characters for the big screen, and that they are better suited for animation series.

DC & Warner Bros. had Joss Whedon once, to create a Wonder Woman movie. But after a couple of years of diddling with them he resigned from the project and it hasn't been made, just like Justice League got cancelled for thankfully good reasons (some stupid casting & story ideas.)

Jaimie Alexander - playing Sif in Thor - has talked about meeting with them about Wonder Woman, and said they weren't interested in making a serious movie about her. Green Lantern's failure has set them back years, to try and rethink their approach yet again about expanding their universe. All these decades owning DC comics, and Warner Bros. still hasn't figured out how to cross them over?

Batman is their only safe bet for the movies right now; Superman is in midst of another overhaul. We'll see if Man Of Steel pans out, but I don't think Zack Snyder is any more suited to do Superman than Tim Burton or Bryan Singer was. DC/Warners logic is someone has done colourful costume stuff before, they can keep doing it no matter the project? How much of it was being forced into production by the terms of the Siegel/Shuster lawsuit...?

They need to show the kind of daring that made them hire Christopher Nolan once upon a time (and reject Frank Miller's ham fisted Batman proposal.)

Flyattractor
That's going a bit far... Oh I could have gone a lot farther...but this place is actually moderated.

Esau Cairn
If a Justice League movie was be to made. I think the 1st thing DC should do is to break the "Origins"-formula.

Just jump start in to the story & have the audience simply accept that these characters a) exist & b) are banded together in times of crisis.

Kazenji
Joss Whedon Reveals His Favorite Superhero Movies; Prefers BATMAN BEGINS To TDK

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=59397

jinXed by JaNx
Dc definitely has the potential to offer diverse and compelling scenarios with their characters but unfortunalately this is rarely taken advantage of. There are a few examples where we get glimpses of this potential greatness. The Alex Ross art design helps to make the Kingdom Come series an impact. Hellblazer was a great line, I think, The Watchmen, was a better moive than the Avengers.
If Whedon is to be the man behind, The Avengers, then i think the movie franchise will be translated and adapted quite well. Atleast, i hope. I just wish Sony didn't have the rights to, Spiderman.

Kazenji
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I think, The Watchmen, was a better moive than the Avengers.

What the...??? blink

The Big O
I'm not even sorry for what I'm going to type:

I don't keep up with comics too much but I do know the basics. With that being said, its going to take a lot more than what was said in this interview for me to be let down by Joss Whedon. After all, he gave us Buffy and I like the way he does Emma Frost.

I'm a Whedon fan. Sue me.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Dc definitely has the potential to offer diverse and compelling scenarios with their characters but unfortunalately this is rarely taken advantage of. There are a few examples where we get glimpses of this potential greatness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the biggest dilemma DC has in bringing the Justice League to screen would be one of copyright issues.

I mean each character was created by a different artist/writer compared to Marvel where Stan Lee has created & owns most of his characters. Stan Lee & Marvel are a package deal, whereas the amount of red-tape DC would have to go through dealing with multiple ownership issues would be disruptive to making a competent movie.

-Pr-

So do I funnily enough.

Oh I could have gone a lot farther...but this place is actually moderated.

I don't see why you would.

Originally posted by The Big O
I'm not even sorry for what I'm going to type:

I don't keep up with comics too much but I do know the basics. With that being said, its going to take a lot more than what was said in this interview for me to be let down by Joss Whedon. After all, he gave us Buffy and I like the way he does Emma Frost.

I'm a Whedon fan. Sue me.

His work on X-Men is the best X-Men of the past decade bar MAYBE Grant Morrison's run, imo.

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the biggest dilemma DC has in bringing the Justice League to screen would be one of copyright issues.

I mean each character was created by a different artist/writer compared to Marvel where Stan Lee has created & owns most of his characters. Stan Lee & Marvel are a package deal, whereas the amount of red-tape DC would have to go through dealing with multiple ownership issues would be disruptive to making a competent movie.

They wouldn't really; DC owns the rights to almost all it's big characters, and the only trouble they really have is with Superman, and yet they managed to get through that.

They just need WB to back the **** off.

ares834

I tend to agree. Although, I think both were superior to the two Spidey films (which I still loved BTW).

Esau Cairn
\

Good luck on that.

roughrider
I don't know what kind of red tape is interfering with things at WB. They can put all their heroes together for TV on Smallville, but they can't do it for the big screen?

Harry Potter is done; excuses are over.

jaden101
Love or hate Joss Whedon, Love or hate the Avengers. All I give a shit about is that it gives him enough power to get Firefly on the go again. Capt Reynolds beasts Capt Yank.

Robtard
The show or do you want another film in the franchise?

Flyattractor
So do I funnily enough.
Even more funnily-er. So do I.

I don't see why you would.
I am just trying to be nice....and not get totally banned from all internet comic book sites...again.

They wouldn't really; DC owns the rights to almost all it's big characters, and the only trouble they really have is with Superman, and yet they managed to get through that.

This I agree with also.

Bouboumaster
The point is: DC can't do a JLA movie in the next two or three years.

Marvel did at least a movie for the top 4 members, to establish them.

As for DC, right now:
- Hal Jordan is ok

- Superman will be ok very soon

- Wonder Woman don't have any movie yet to her name

- Batman will probably need a 4th movie with a new actor to establish him in the context of the JLA

- Martian Manhunter don't have any movie yet to his name

- Aquaman don't have anything to his name, and seriously, his movie will sunk at the box office (see what I did here?) because he sucks as a character

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Bouboumaster

- Aquaman don't have anything to his name, and seriously, his movie will sunk at the box office (see what I did here?) because he sucks as a character

Yeah. You used the wrong word.

Bouboumaster

Yeah. You used the wrong word.

I could have used "fail", but it wasn't the same

Flyattractor
No. Its SINK not SUNK.
Future Tense not past.

siriuswriter
The dude thought he was making a joke because Aquaman is an underwater character. So 'sunk' would go there. But owing to the bad grammar of said poster, the joke was not received. "Sink" was the word you were looking for, Bouboumaster.

Failed joke.... moving on...

Robtard
Could have been a typo, you'll notice that the letter "U" and the letter "I" are next to each other.

Looks like a case of fat-finger-typing, you haters of humor.

-Pr-

As for DC, right now:
- Hal Jordan is ok

- Batman will probably need a 4th movie with a new actor to establish him in the context of the JLA

Please, don't pretend you know anything about Aquaman bar how much you unreasonably seem to hate the guy.

I don't know what he ever did to you...

Darth Martin
People already know who Batman and Superman are. Why not just skip to Batman/Superman movie. Then do a sequel with Wonder Woman. The third film would be the JLA after a Flash movie is done. Martian Manhunter would be introduced in the JLA movie.

I do tend to agree that a separate Batman film should be made to establish something more along the lines of the source material. Less realistic, better fighting, more intelligent Bruce Wayne, more advanced tech, classic black and grey costume, etc.

Esau Cairn

As for DC, right now:
- Hal Jordan is ok

The average child/teen/adult knows of all these DC characters. They may not know specific details of their origins but they know enough to watch a JL movie & comprehend what's happening.
Did LOTR need an origins movie for each character?
Did the A-Team or Harry Potter for that matter too?

If Hollywood didn't treat its audiences as imbecile, a JL movie straight-up would be more ideal than having to establish each character first.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Darth Martin
People already know who Batman and Superman are. Why not just skip to Batman/Superman movie. Then do a sequel with Wonder Woman. The third film would be the JLA after a Flash movie is done. Martian Manhunter would be introduced in the JLA movie.

I do tend to agree that a separate Batman film should be made to establish something more along the lines of the source material. Less realistic, better fighting, more intelligent Bruce Wayne, more advanced tech, classic black and grey costume, etc.

Aren't they doing that once Nolan is finished?

Darth Martin
I'm not sure what Warner Bros. has planned. I'd assume they'd look to continue to milk the success with Batman by rebooting the franchise.

If they were smart they'd just do a straight up comic adaptation. Forget the origin story as that has been done to death. I wish the people from Marvel Studios could have their run at a more stylized Batman film. They've got Iron Man down.

-Pr-
For me a JLA movie is only going to work if they do it on a massive scale. Almost like Avengers seems to be. An evil so great, so powerful that it actually puts the League on the defensive. Kind of like the first arc of the new JLA comic post reboot.

Darkseid would be a prime candidate for such a thing, and after being in Smallville, he wouldn't be completely unknown to people at least in name and influence.

Scythe
I just seriously hope in the future we get a Justice League or JSA movie before a Teen Titans movie.

Flyattractor
I would be happy with a Flash or heck a long list of Non Big 3 character movies.

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
The show or do you want another film in the franchise?

The show...disregard the film so that Shepard and Wash can both be back in it.

jaden101
A JLA movie at the moment would be impossible and even a Batman/Superman movie wouldn't work all that well in the context of what the Nolan films have been like and what the Zach Snyder Superman movie will inevitably be like. The style of them will be so far removed from one another than you wouldn't be able to reconcile the characters into 1 movie. Plus you wouldn't want the Green Lantern version included because it was just terrible in every possible way. The story, the CGI, the acting, the CGI, the casting and especially the ****ing utterly shite CGI. and did I mention the CGI?

DARTH POWER
Ok firstly I think people are taking Joss Whedon's remark way too literally and seriously.

It was just a one off remark after he implied that if they want it done right then "You know who to call!"

Second of course JL can work on the big screen. The JL and JLU animations were awsome. You think the same stories would not have worked on the big screen? Why not exactly?

And "The Avengers" is as far out from reality as you can get. Just the Shield Hellicarrier was out of this world, forget having the God of Thunder together with a Mutated Gamma monster and a Billionaire with a Super Powered Suit all fighting off an alien invasion!

Smallville did a perfectly good job of showing us a small version of the JL. And the success of Smallville showed there's a huge audience out there for DC heroes.

I agree with whoever said they could start off with a Batman/Superman movie.

I don't agree that they shouldn't use Christian Bale, simply because they should capitalize on the popularity of Christopher Nolan's Batman franchise. Just like Avengers heavily capitalized on the success and popularity of Robert Downey as Iron Man.

Or heck why not Capitalize on Smallville's success as well and use Tom Welling and Christian Bale and just do a JL movie. Who says you need each hero to have their own solo movie first??

I don't think they should wait until they make good movies for every main JL member. That could take years as they royally screwed up GL and are just too scared to take any risks now.

Whatever DC are thinking it's pretty obvious they're not getting the best advice right now.

Hire Joss Whedon and pay him whatever he wants!

roughrider
The problem doing it now is trying to look like they're not copying the Avengers blueprint.

Alien invasion bring them together? Already done.
Darkseid as the big behind the scenes villain? Thanos has already been established in Avengers, and may make his presence felt as soon as Thor 2 next year.

I once thought it was a smart idea to do Justice League and use it as a springboard for other spinoff movies, but Marvel had succeeded hugely by taking the more risky route. If that's what they're trying to use Man Of Steel next year for, fine. God knows they need to start over again with Green Lantern & forget that ever happened (and it might be Kyle Rayner or John Stewart instead. Geoff Johns be damned.)

DARTH POWER
^ I wouldn't worry about looking like they're copying Marvel.

They could take the whole Alien Invasion thing to a whole new level. Do it on a much larger scale. And it makes more sense with JL anyway since half the roster are either aliens themselves or have ties to aliens.

I think they way the could make it different to Avengers is by letting the JL movie create spin off movies, and not vice versa like the Avengers did.

Just do the Superman movie then get on with the JL one.

It worked with JL and JLU cartoons. That was a spin-off of the Superman and Batman animated series.

And yes they should get over the fact that GL was a flop. Use another GL for the movie.

Make an Awsome script, get an Uber director, build loads of hype, use Bale as Batman and Henry Cavill as Superman (although I still think using Tom Welling and building off Smallville's popularity would work better)... And then just get on with it!

RE: Blaxican
Bale as Batman would be complete shit in a JLA movie. I don't think people realize that Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne has zero charisma or on-screen presence what-so-ever. He's not even the star of his own movies; his villains are. Bale would be forgotten every time he doesn't have the mask on compared to the rest of the cast.

And furthermore, I think it's important to realize that 99.99999% of the planet doesn't read comics. Ergo, the only thing those people know about the characters are what they're inconic for. Aquaman is iconic as "that useless team-mate on the JLA". Sorry, but that's just the reality. And the majority of the JLA characters are not renown for how relatable they are, like many of the Marvel characters are, regardless of what the comics show. If you need to read Wonder Woman comics to know that Wonder Woman has relatable traits, then she for all intents and purposes doesn't have any.

DARTH POWER
^ I disagree. Batman Begins focused solely on Bruce Wayne/Batman and that movie was on par to TDK IMHO.

Yes Bale is replaceable but my point of using him is to capitalize on the success of Nolan's Batman series, not because Bale can not be replaced.

roughrider
Here's another important point in trying to sell the Justice League movie.

What do all the Avengers in the movie have in common? - No secret identities.

Some of them don't even try to have it; Captain America may wear a helmet/mask out of tradition and for protection but his history is well known to the public at large and by major intelligence organizations. It's a major intelligence agency that brings them together to begin with. It gives it a greater feeling of plausibility, these characters working together having this air of identity openness. This is who they are, not what they do in their separate time from a daily job.

You go back to the X-Men movies too; they may have code names and live in a protected compound, but no secret identities.

Are they going to duplicate that with Justice League, where the vast majority of the heroes wants to live a separate life concealed from the government? They would have to change that part drastically I think, for the movie-going public to suspend disbelief. Is Amanda Waller going to become another version of Nick Fury?

And whatever the big threat is, if it's not written to be organically part of the film series as a whole - which is how Loki & his army evolved in the Avengers series - then you'll just come up with something over the top & lame, like how Parallax turned out last year in Green Lantern.

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
^ I disagree. Batman Begins focused solely on Bruce Wayne/Batman and that movie was on par to TDK IMHO.Many people see Liam Neeson as the highlight of Begins, though. Myself included. I also thought Begins was boring as shit.

That might make sense from a marketing perspective, sure. The problem is that both Bale's Bruce Wayne and Nolan's Batman have no place within a JLA movie. As mentioned before, Bale-Wayne doesn't have the charisma to stand out in an ensamble cast film (and he's not mean enough, either. JLA Batman has a very powerful, confident and threatening presence, I.E. being able to cow people like the Flash into submission by just glaring at them, Bale's Bruce is gloomy and sulky and has puppy-dog eyes), and Nolan's hyper-realistic Batman has no place amongst people like the Flash, Green Lantern and Superman. In order for it to look at all feasible for Batman to be a contributing member of the team he has to show his super-genius intellect and his super-genius gadgets, both of which are things Nolan has deliberately shied away from in his movies.

roughrider
Well if the JL movie is ever going to get made, it's going to have more in line with the realistic universe of Christopher Nolan's Batman, rather than be over the top cheese like Green Lantern was.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by roughrider
Here's another important point in trying to sell the Justice League movie.

What do all the Avengers in the movie have in common? - No secret identities.

Some of them don't even try to have it; Captain America may wear a helmet/mask out of tradition and for protection but his history is well known to the public at large and by major intelligence organizations. It's a major intelligence agency that brings them together to begin with. It gives it a greater feeling of plausibility, these characters working together having this air of identity openness. This is who they are, not what they do in their separate time from a daily job.

If you remember in the animated JL/JLU they just kind of avoided the whole secret identity part.

It was only a few very rare moments in the whole series when you would see them in their secret identity forms.

And it worked. It was a great show.

And whatever the big threat is, if it's not written to be organically part of the film series as a whole - which is how Loki & his army evolved in the Avengers series - then you'll just come up with something over the top & lame, like how Parallax turned out last year in Green Lantern.

The script and story is of course the important thing to get right.

But I don't think it was Parallax that let GL down. It was the script, character(and how he was portrayed by RR), the stupid use of his powers(creating a race car track to save a helicopter), the love story, and pretty much the whole story on Earth.

Well if the JL movie is ever going to get made, it's going to have more in line with the realistic universe of Christopher Nolan's Batman, rather than be over the top cheese like Green Lantern was.

thumb up

I liked the way Smallville incorporated all the JL heroes into the same world.

It was mainly about alien threats and corrupt/powerful men.

And we had their opposite in the heroes, Kal and MM the good aliens, whilst GL was the Lex Opposite.

If JLA's atmosphere was similar to Nolan's films, Superman would use a jetpack instead of being able to fly, Wonder Woman would be an ex-Isreali Defense Force spec. Ops with B-Cups and no ass, the Flash would be an Aussie-accented mercenary who uses guns and demolitions and takes drugs that give him peak human reflexes inatead of having superspeed, Aqua Man would be a Submarine Commander and ex-navy seal, Batman will be a slightly above average detective with lots of money to spend on military prototype technology, Green Lantern would be Iron Man and Martian Manhunter wouldn't exist because he'd "detract from the realism". Lex Luthor would be the villain, played by a bald Joseph Gordon Levitt.

What I'm basically saying is that you can't make a JLA movie with Nolanesque atmosphere. The JLA, by nature of their abilities, are cheesy as hell. A JLA movie would be similar to Avengers. If they want it to be gritty, the best they'd be able to do is make it like Watchmen.

Robtard
Hate to say it, but Blax is correct for once, a Nolan-esque film with these overly fantastic characters would be doomed to fail.

PS, Batman Begins is a good film, you dumb bastard.

DARTH POWER
^ Roughrider said MORE in line with the Nolanesque Universe, and no where near as cheesy as GL.

And that's what I gave a thumbs up to.

No one's talking of changing their powers or saying they're not aliens.

The fact is the main threat and half the heroes would be super powered aliens anyway.

I liked the way JLU progressed with the conspiracies and propaganda the JLU was fighting. Yes that's proabably more Watchmen like.

Edit- I thought Watchmen was frigging awsome!

Robtard
I doubt they'd want to do more than 6 characters for an intro JL flick. More than that and you're cutting screen time for each down substantially. So likely two aliens on the roster, Superman and MMH.

Watchmen was "frigging awsome", anyone that cries about the changes is just be an edgy b!tch.

NemeBro
Capturing the themes and tone of the original comic is indeed more important than making sure there is a psychic space squid at the end.

Nephthys
I prefer the movies ending anyway. Psychic space squid was dumb as hell. Why would the world band together to fight something that died as soon as it appeared? Doc Manhatten is just a better deterant.

And a JLU movie just wouldn't work if it was anything like the Nolanverse imo. You can make it serious and mature, but realistic is off the table.

ares834
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
And the majority of the JLA characters are not renown for how relatable they are, like many of the Marvel characters are, regardless of what the comics show. If you need to read Wonder Woman comics to know that Wonder Woman has relatable traits, then she for all intents and purposes doesn't have any.

But that's not really a problem. The movies can show that these characters are relatable, afterall most of the heroes in the Marvel cinematic universe were unknown to the general public.

Nephthys
I have no idea what people find so hard about making a Wonder Woman movie. They already made a ****ing WW origin movie and it was great.

Robtard
One of my favorite of the DC films.

DARTH POWER
I have no idea what people find so hard about making a Wonder Woman movie. They already made a ****ing WW origin movie and it was great.

I don't know why they just can't use the same script writers for Live-Action movies that they do for the Animated ones!

WW was great, so was GL (animated one).

And JLU was a great series.

Really don't understand why movie makers think similar scripts wouldn't work on the Big Screen.

The GL movie (which they altered for the big screen) flopped. I'm betting if they used the story that was used for the animated version instead it would have been a hell of a lot better.

roughrider

Everytime they get close they get cold feet and back off, because they don't see any female lead good enough to bring in the hundreds of millions in revenue needed to make the film the tentpole they want. Not Angelina Jolie (Tomb Raider didn't last very long), not Megan Fox, and they certainly don't feel right trusting it to an unknown lead.

Joss Whedon was contracted to make the movie, and after he left discussed what he felt was a great lack of enthusiasm for it by studio execs.

Joel Silver keeps buying the rights for the movie because he won't let anyone else make it - but he hasn't made it either. He had the rights to Green Lantern for many years before he finally gave it up.

And don't overlook the significance of Christopher Nolan as a producer on Man Of Steel. Might be the reason they pushed the release back six months, so he can have his influence on it after completing The Dark Knight Rises. Just as he gave us what was like the 'Ultimate Universe' version of Batman, he's likely been trusted to carry that over to Superman as a possible springboard to Justice League.
Just like Marvel's Ultimates was an influence on how The Avengers was made.

It's amazing to me that people actually think that you can make a live action movie, designed to be played in a theater and viewed by millions, in the same way that you can make a comic book or a direct-to-dvd cartoon.

I don't think you guys really understand the mindset of the average non-comic book nerd, I.E., the people who actually matter to the movie creators.

DARTH POWER
It's amazing to me that people actually think that you can make a live action movie, designed to be played in a theater and viewed by millions, in the same way that you can make a comic book or a direct-to-dvd cartoon.

I don't think you guys really understand the mindset of the average non-comic book nerd, I.E., the people who actually matter to the movie creators.

DC animations have always been popular. And I doubt that was just down to us comic book nerds watching it.

Also after the massive success of Avengers on the big screen I'm thinking the gap between what's entertaining for comic book nerds and what's entertaining for the general audience is probably smaller than we would think.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by jaden101
Love or hate Joss Whedon, Love or hate the Avengers. All I give a shit about is that it gives him enough power to get Firefly on the go again. Capt Reynolds beasts Capt Yank.

This. FTW. And yes I say bring back the series too.
I'd suffer a time travel, parallel universey explanation of things just to get Wash and Shepard back too.

Or maybe if they didnt leave it too long, they could set it before Serenity.

And the way the FX have come on in the TV industry, it would most likely look like a big budget movie anyways...

roughrider
DC animations have always been popular. And I doubt that was just down to us comic book nerds watching it.

Also after the massive success of Avengers on the big screen I'm thinking the gap between what's entertaining for comic book nerds and what's entertaining for the general audience is probably smaller than we would think.

Developing a story for live action TV or animated TV is much different than doing feature films. If the transition was so easy, more DC characters would have made the jump by now.
And now the challenge has become greater, because of Marvel Studios. Creating a shared universe where Superman and Batman et al. actually work together and need each other. The solo Superman films have long used Christian parallels to his origin by making him a modern day savior of Earth. They would have to tone that down or eliminate it completely.

DARTH POWER
I understand the need to change/add/subtract some things, but what I'm saying is if they took the feature length first episode of JL and made it into a live-action movie with Bale as Batman and Welling/Caville as Superman.

Just add/alter to the dialogue/script. Make the alien invasion on a much larger scale.

Is there any reason why it wouldn't work??

(Except for the fact that it's already been done as an animation)

roughrider
I understand the need to change/add/subtract some things, but what I'm saying is if they took the feature length first episode of JL and made it into a live-action movie with Bale as Batman and Welling/Caville as Superman.

Just add/alter to the dialogue/script. Make the alien invasion on a much larger scale.

Is there any reason why it wouldn't work??

(Except for the fact that it's already been done as an animation)

It's TV. You put Smallville on the big screen and it still looks and feels like TV.

DARTH POWER
Well it's their TV shows that have been working.

They've made big alterations on the big screen (GL and Superman Returns) which obviously has not worked at all.

I really think if they just made a JL movie with a good story and director it would work, as long as they have Supes/Bats leading the way, so have actors people recognize in those 2 main roles like Bale, Welling.

And keep Ryan Reynolds well away from GL!

roughrider
So long as DC & Warner Bros. recognize what a good story is. That's been a problem for them lately, alongside hiring the right people.

srankmissingnin
So basically Joss Whedon said WB will have a more difficult time making a successful JLA? I think pretty much every one in the industry agrees with that. If you called up the President of WB and got him talk candidly off the record, he'd tell you the same damn thing. Joss didn't say they couldn't WB couldn't do it, he simply said it will be a more difficult task than it was Marvel, and he's right about that.

Flyattractor
IT should be any more difficult for WB to do it then Marvel if they did it in the same way.
Only real difficulty would be with legal issues with the big characters.

Well that and being able to pull of a Wonder Woman character visually.

srankmissingnin
IT should be any more difficult for WB to do it then Marvel if they did it in the same way.
Only real difficulty would be with legal issues with the big characters.

Well that and being able to pull of a Wonder Woman character visually.

Except they didn't do it the same way, and as a result they now have to navigate around the ruins of their failed projects and the cultural perception they created, while they attempt to establish a working JLA property in the shadow of the Avengers which got out first and was hugely successful. Hence... more difficult.

Outside of the court case with the Shusters, DC / WB doesn't really have any legal issues to worry about regarding their characters. Unlike Marvel the movie rights of all their characters are under the WB banner.

Flyattractor
Or they could just ,Oh I don't know.. START OVER!?
Who says they have to use the mythos of the movies they have already used?

Pull your head out of Whedon's bung hole some time and get some air.

-Pr-
Bale as Batman would be complete shit in a JLA movie. I don't think people realize that Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne has zero charisma or on-screen presence what-so-ever. He's not even the star of his own movies; his villains are. Bale would be forgotten every time he doesn't have the mask on compared to the rest of the cast.

And furthermore, I think it's important to realize that 99.99999% of the planet doesn't read comics. Ergo, the only thing those people know about the characters are what they're inconic for. Aquaman is iconic as "that useless team-mate on the JLA". Sorry, but that's just the reality. And the majority of the JLA characters are not renown for how relatable they are, like many of the Marvel characters are, regardless of what the comics show. If you need to read Wonder Woman comics to know that Wonder Woman has relatable traits, then she for all intents and purposes doesn't have any.

Doesn't mean you can't make them that way in a movie.

They did it with Avengers.

that's a bit excessive.

srankmissingnin

How does starting over from scratch solve any thing I just mentioned? They still have the negative perception of their failed projects in the minds of the movie going audience, and Avengers still beat them to the punch. Washing their hands of their failures and saying "We are starting again!" doesn't automatically win them back the good faith of the audience (see Batman Begins / Incredible Hulk / X-Men First Class)

Whedon said DC has a harder job ahead of them then Marvel did... and he's right. That isn't Whedon fanservice, it's about as close to an objective fact as you can get. I don't see how anyone who isn't a mindless fanboy just looking for a nerdrage outlet could possibly disagree with that statement. Grow up and objectively consider the matter for a moment, if you can't see that WB will have a more difficult time establishing the JLA as a viable movie property than Marvel, then you are an idiot.

-Pr-
The problem is that it's WB in the first place.

srankmissingnin
The problem is that it's WB in the first place.

True. Disney let Marvel studios develop their own movie properties, I can only imagine if the minds behind Tron / Prince of Persia / Jon Carter and the last three Pirates movies decided to meddle in Marvel's business... we'd be looking at some Green Lantern level trash.

-Pr-
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
True. Disney let Marvel studios develop their own movie properties, I can only imagine if the minds behind Tron / Prince of Persia / Jon Carter and the last three Pirates movies decided to meddle in Marvel's business... we'd be looking at some Green Lantern level trash.

Pretty much. Geoff Johns likes to say he was involved with it in a big way, but the disparity in quality between comics and movies makes me wonder. A person could argue about the different mediums and that, but a good story is a good story either way.

Which the movie was not.

DARTH POWER
Geoff Johns likes to say he was involved with it in a big way, but the disparity in quality between comics and movies makes me wonder. A person could argue about the different mediums and that, but a good story is a good story either way.

Exactly. I see no reason why a JL movie would not work providing it's given a good story like the comics and even the animated series always gave us.

On top capitalize on the success of Nolan's Batman, and use a recognized Superman (Maybe Caville in a couple of years, right now it could only be Welling) and I see no reason why it wouldn't be as huge as Avengers.

-Pr-
Exactly. I see no reason why a JL movie would not work providing it's given a good story like the comics and even the animated series always gave us.

On top capitalize on the success of Nolan's Batman, and use a recognized Superman (Maybe Caville in a couple of years, right now it could only be Welling) and I see no reason why it wouldn't be as huge as Avengers.

Welling can piss off, tbh.

I don't think Nolan's Batman would really work, either. When Batman is with the Justice League he's operating at a level of greatness that Nolan's bruce has never touched on, imo.

Honestly, the JLA cartoon from a few years back, or even the most recent animated movie, are the best examples of how a JLA story can work on a big scale.

Flyattractor
How does starting over from scratch solve any thing I just mentioned? They still have the negative perception of their failed projects in the minds of the movie going audience, and Avengers still beat them to the punch. Washing their hands of their failures and saying "We are starting again!" doesn't automatically win them back the good faith of the audience (see Batman Begins / Incredible Hulk / X-Men First Class)

Whedon said DC has a harder job ahead of them then Marvel did... and he's right. That isn't Whedon fanservice, it's about as close to an objective fact as you can get. I don't see how anyone who isn't a mindless fanboy just looking for a nerdrage outlet could possibly disagree with that statement. Grow up and objectively consider the matter for a moment, if you can't see that WB will have a more difficult time establishing the JLA as a viable movie property than Marvel, then you are an idiot.
laughing

I think this is a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

So what your saying is that since WB has already made a Superman/Batman/GL movie 2 of which were not good. The Average Movie goer won't be able to understand a new mythos if WB went ahead and made new movies of the same characters?

The only real problem WB would have is if they rush some half assed rush job out in a year or two to try and cash in.
Even tho I DO DISAGREE WITH WHEDON"s COMMENTS I still liked the Avengers movie.

Honestly, the JLA cartoon from a few years back, or even the most recent animated movie, are the best examples of how a JLA story can work on a big scale. This I agree with.

DARTH POWER
Welling can piss off, tbh.

I don't think Nolan's Batman would really work, either. When Batman is with the Justice League he's operating at a level of greatness that Nolan's bruce has never touched on, imo.

I mean they can add to the character when he comes in JL, but the point is I think they should Capitalize of it's success, just live Avengers really capitalized on Iron Man's success.

As for Welling, well the fact is he is the most recognized Superman actor at the moment.

And I know many people (including many girls) who always wanted to see Smallville on the big screen. So as far as my small market research goes, it would work.

Honestly, the JLA cartoon from a few years back, or even the most recent animated movie, are the best examples of how a JLA story can work on a big scale.

Oh yeah definitely! I don't get how DC cartoons are so great, but then they mess up so bad on the big screen.

Flyattractor

Oh yeah definitely! I don't get how DC cartoons are so great, but then they mess up so bad on the big screen.

The WB is run by IDIOTS!

Especially when it comes to this type of movie.

srankmissingnin
laughing

I think this is a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

So what your saying is that since WB has already made a Superman/Batman/GL movie 2 of which were not good. The Average Movie goer won't be able to understand a new mythos if WB went ahead and made new movies of the same characters?

The only real problem WB would have is if they rush some half assed rush job out in a year or two to try and cash in.
Even tho I DO DISAGREE WITH WHEDON"s COMMENTS I still liked the Avengers movie.

This I agree with.

I don't think you understand what kettle calling the pot black, means. You are the only one nerd raging, and you are nerd raging over a little nothing inauspicious quote that everyone other than you seems to agree with.

Cultural perception. Bad movies leave a bad taste in the mouths of movie goers and make them less likely to see the next movie tied to that property. It has nothing to do with people "understanding" a new mythos is being established, it has to do with the studio losing the good faith of their audience, and that the audience being less trusting and less willing to support said property with ticket sales. Which puts WB in a more difficult place than Marvel, because other than Batman all of their current movie prospects are in a Hulk situation.

roughrider
Half the problem is coming up with the right, plausible story to have a JL movie. The other half of the problem would be DC's willingness to tailor or change their characters if necessary in the name of making a team building series. They need to look at Marvel and note what they stayed true to, and what was changed in the course of making a smooth narrative. Not all the characters origins are completely respected, in the name of making the cumulative film.

Flyattractor
I don't think you understand what kettle calling the pot black, means. You are the only one nerd raging, and you are nerd raging over a little nothing inauspicious quote that everyone other than you seems to agree with.

Cultural perception. Bad movies leave a bad taste in the mouths of movie goers and make them less likely to see the next movie tied to that property. It has nothing to do with people "understanding" a new mythos is being established, it has to do with the studio losing the good faith of their audience, and that the audience being less trusting and less willing to support said property with ticket sales. Which puts WB in a more difficult place than Marvel, because other than Batman all of their current movie prospects are in a Hulk situation.

You talk like this and call others nerds?

Oh forget this. I made my point on my opinion.
I disagree with you
You disagree with me.
You think Your right
I think I am right.

And now its time for

Dancing Bannana

Happy Dance

Bardock42
I don't think you understand what kettle calling the pot black, means.

Well, that might be cause it means nothing. It's not an idiom used in the English language.

-Pr-
I mean they can add to the character when he comes in JL, but the point is I think they should Capitalize of it's success, just live Avengers really capitalized on Iron Man's success.

As for Welling, well the fact is he is the most recognized Superman actor at the moment.

And I know many people (including many girls) who always wanted to see Smallville on the big screen. So as far as my small market research goes, it would work.

I don't know. I mean, it's Batman. Nolan or no Nolan, it's hard to find someone who doesn't know who Batman is.

I think Chris Reeve is more well known as Superman than Welling tbh. Welling never really wearing the suit bar one episode doesn't really help his recognition, tbh.

Half the problem is coming up with the right, plausible story to have a JL movie. The other half of the problem would be DC's willingness to tailor or change their characters if necessary in the name of making a team building series. They need to look at Marvel and note what they stayed true to, and what was changed in the course of making a smooth narrative. Not all the characters origins are completely respected, in the name of making the cumulative film.

I don't see how a story would be a problem, tbh.

srankmissingnin
You talk like this and call others nerds?

Oh forget this. I made my point on my opinion.
I disagree with you
You disagree with me.
You think Your right
I think I am right.

And now its time for

Dancing Bannana

Happy Dance

Dude, I'm nerdy as f@ck, but I'm not getting worked up over nothing an nerd raging. Whedon didn't say "WB can't make a JLA movie. It's impossible." He said "WB is in a more difficult spot then Marvel was. They should call me to do it. lol " And you went all durredhulk and start pulling out your hair and getting worked up over nothing.

-Pr-
if whedon could get over the whole "relatable" thing, then his strengths with dialogue and being able to balance a large ensemble cast would enable him to make a great jla movie, imo.

DARTH POWER
I don't know. I mean, it's Batman. Nolan or no Nolan, it's hard to find someone who doesn't know who Batman is.

Yes but there's no doubt Nolan's made the most successful big screen Batman. I just think it'd be the most profitable way of doing it.

Especially if you can't do the Avengers thing, where every character has their own hit movie before the Team movie.

They'll need some way to draw audiences in other than the fact that everyone knows Batman.

Every one knew Superman, but that didn't help Superman Returns much.

I think Chris Reeve is more well known as Superman than Welling tbh.

I meant out of actors available at the moment. I think pretty much everyone recognizes Tom Welling as Clark Kent.

Like I said it's unlikely JL will work the way Avengers did with each character having a hit movie before hand. So I don't think it'd be a bad idea to capitalize on the success WB has had on screen in recent years.

Flyattractor
Dude, I'm nerdy as f@ck, but I'm not getting worked up over nothing an nerd raging. Whedon didn't say "WB can't make a JLA movie. It's impossible." He said "WB is in a more difficult spot then Marvel was. They should call me to do it. lol " And you went all durredhulk and start pulling out your hair and getting worked up over nothing. WHO SAID I WAS GETTING ...Ok I was worked up..but I LIKED GETTING WORKED UP!!!!!!!
Its the internet.

And I have my own personel grudges with Joss...same as with the Mcfarlen Guy with spawn.

Their mgiht be merit in your logic,but I choose my own reality. No matter how flawed it is...its just more fun that way...

And I LUB DA DANCIN BANANA! Happy Dance

-Pr-
Yes but there's no doubt Nolan's made the most successful big screen Batman. I just think it'd be the most profitable way of doing it.

Especially if you can't do the Avengers thing, where every character has their own hit movie before the Team movie.

They'll need some way to draw audiences in other than the fact that everyone knows Batman.

Every one knew Superman, but that didn't help Superman Returns much.

I meant out of actors available at the moment. I think pretty much everyone recognizes Tom Welling as Clark Kent.

Like I said it's unlikely JL will work the way Avengers did with each character having a hit movie before hand. So I don't think it'd be a bad idea to capitalize on the success WB has had on screen in recent years.

The problem is, though, that Nolan's Batman simply can't exist in the kind of world that has someone like Superman flying around trolling bank-robbers.

That was because Returns sucked ass.

Yes, but then we'd have Tom Welling playing Superman. I mean, how shit would that be?

And i don't see why DC couldn't do movies for a bunch of the main leaguers before an actual league movie. they're rebooting batman anyway. superman is out next year. a decent green lantern movie and we'd be set.

Flyattractor
The problem is, though, that Nolan's Batman simply can't exist in the kind of world that has someone like Superman flying around trolling bank-robbers.

That was because Returns sucked ass.

Yes, but then we'd have Tom Welling playing Superman. I mean, how shit would that be?

And i don't see why DC couldn't do movies for a bunch of the main leaguers before an actual league movie. they're rebooting batman anyway. superman is out next year. a decent green lantern movie and we'd be set.
If I wasn't drunk and the sun already breaking well past the dawn, I might argue with you just for the amusement....or maybe not...

roughrider

I don't see how a story would be a problem, tbh.

You know what they wanted to do in Justice League:Mortal, right? They thought that would be a good idea. First they would cast completely different actors to be Superman and Batman - while their solo film series carry on - then they decided to do it with no Supes or Bats, just the rest of them!
And Jay Barucel as Maxwell Lord??? Fail.

-Pr-
You know what they wanted to do in Justice League:Mortal, right? They thought that would be a good idea. First they would cast completely different actors to be Superman and Batman - while their solo film series carry on - then they decided to do it with no Supes or Bats, just the rest of them!
And Jay Barucel as Maxwell Lord??? Fail.

Well yeah, that was pretty crap. I'd like to think they could come up with something better though.

DARTH POWER

GL has set them back though. Not only would they not be willing to invest in a GL movie again, but it's unlikely people would watch it now even if it's a good movie (just look at how The Incredible Hulk under performed even though it was good movie).

And after GL they just do not seem ambitious enough to do things like Wonder Woman and The Flash solo movies.

Yes they're rebooting Batman. But you really think it's a good idea to reboot, expect another big hit and then do JL, when there's already a hugely successful Batman they could Capitalize on as soon as the new Supes is out?

I really see no reason why Nolan's Batman could not be in JL. It won't effect the Nolan's movies one bit which will be done with TDKR.

The Batman animated series also used to have that more "realistic" vibe to it, and yet he fit into the JL animated series just fine.

-Pr-
GL has set them back though. Not only would they not be willing to invest in a GL movie again, but it's unlikely people would watch it now even if it's a good movie (just look at how The Incredible Hulk under performed even though it was good movie).

And after GL they just do not seem ambitious enough to do things like Wonder Woman and The Flash solo movies.

Yes they're rebooting Batman. But you really think it's a good idea to reboot, expect another big hit and then do JL, when there's already a hugely successful Batman they could Capitalize on as soon as the new Supes is out?

I really see no reason why Nolan's Batman could not be in JL. It won't effect the Nolan's movies one bit which will be done with TDKR.

The Batman animated series also used to have that more "realistic" vibe to it, and yet he fit into the JL animated series just fine.

True, but they made Hulk anyway. And people liked it. And it tied in to avengers in it's own way.

flash is being worked on, last i heard. can't imagine wonder woman being far behind.

honestly yes, as i still don't think nolan's batman would ever work in a league setting.

the batman in the animated series was a lot more fantastical (if that's even a word) than nolan's one. it was realistic to a point, but it still balanced it with things like freeze and manbat that just wouldn't work in a nolan movie,imo.

Placidity

flash is being worked on, last i heard.

That is going set the unbreakable record for most instances of PIS.

roughrider
Well yeah, that was pretty crap. I'd like to think they could come up with something better though.

With Christopher Nolan helping to shepard Man Of Steel, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn to him to figure this out, as an overseer-er. He's an in-house director who has brought WB nothing but huge success. If it means a 'more realistic' approach to getting all these characters eventually in one film, I think fans would accept it (except the fanatical anti-Nolanites.)

DARTH POWER
^ Yeah having Nolan involved in Man of Steel also makes me think they prob will have his guidance on the whole JL route. Especially if Man of Steel is a big success.

-Pr-
With Christopher Nolan helping to shepard Man Of Steel, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn to him to figure this out, as an overseer-er. He's an in-house director who has brought WB nothing but huge success. If it means a 'more realistic' approach to getting all these characters eventually in one film, I think fans would accept it (except the fanatical anti-Nolanites.)

if he ****s up superman, he won't get any further.

DARTH POWER
I'm guessing the success of the Man of Steel will determine the fate of the JL.

srankmissingnin
if he ****s up superman, he won't get any further.

If Superman tanks Nolan will get a pass, Synder on the other hand... well just how many terrible movies that under perform at the box office will this guy be allowed to make exactly?

DARTH POWER
^ By terrible movies that tanked at the box office, I hope your not referring to Watchmen??!

0mega Spawn
the only difference between DC heroes & marvel heroes are the capes
and locations.
yes

-Pr-
If Superman tanks Nolan will get a pass, Synder on the other hand... well just how many terrible movies that under perform at the box office will this guy be allowed to make exactly?

nolan shouldn't get a pass, though.

and snyder has had as many good as bad movies, imo. it'll be his influence, after all, that makes it in any way edgier or "realistic".

wakkawakkawakka
^ By terrible movies that tanked at the box office, I hope your not referring to Watchmen??!

Although I personally liked Watchmen, you have to admit sitting through that movie in theatres would be painful; especially to people that have not read the novel.

And Nolan should not get a pass should Superman bomb. But exactly how would you make a JL movie where all the members are done justice?

Esau Cairn
Y'know everyone's bitching & criticising but has anyone stopped for a moment to realise WE ARE THAT GENERATION to finally see our fav comic book heroes finally come to life on the big screen?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Y'know everyone's bitching & criticising but has anyone stopped for a moment to realise WE ARE THAT GENERATION to finally see our fav comic book heroes finally come to life on the big screen?

I saw Avengers last night, so yes.

NemeBro
nolan shouldn't get a pass, though.

and snyder has had as many good as bad movies, imo. it'll be his influence, after all, that makes it in any way edgier or "realistic". You view Snyder's influence as proof that the movie will be more "realistic"?

... Have you actually seen his movies?

Kazenji
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
the only difference between DC heroes & marvel heroes are the capes
and locations.
yes

Fail....

Both have heroes that wear capes.

Esau Cairn
You honestly can't tell when a person's joking, can ya Kaz?

Kazenji
They were?

well its a bit hard to tell on the net, same with sarcasm.....

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Although I personally liked Watchmen, you have to admit sitting through that movie in theatres would be painful; especially to people that have not read the novel.

I never read the graphic novel. And never saw it in the cinema. There was no hype and I wasn't that interested.

A guy at work whose not a superhero geek (but knew I was) would always say to me "have you seen Watchmen yet, it's really good."

Then I one day happened to catch it on TV. I was really surprised how good it was! Bought in on Dvd the next day!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>