Who most deserves their own movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

byrdgang21
Of the characters listed, who would you most want to see on the big screen?

DC:
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Flash
Dr. Fate
Green Arrow

Marvel:
Namor
Black Panther
Luke Cage
Dr. Strange
Nova

Please Discuss

Sr J-Bieb
None of the above

Gecko4lif
Luke cage

Zack Fair
Namor or Aquaman would be cool.

Nietzschean
Luke Cage

YK8Y4R8IZqY&feature=fvwrel

Placidity
Flash

Mindset
The only one interesting enough to have a movie is Namor.

And he will be played by me.

Starscream M
Originally posted by byrdgang21

DC:
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Flash
Dr. Fate
Green Arrow

Marvel:
Namor
Black Panther
Luke Cage
Dr. Strange
Nova

Please Discuss

Wonder Woman

played by her:

http://greenobles.com/data_images/hilary-rhoda/hilary-rhoda-05.jpg

Endless Mike
Doctor Strange

Sr J-Bieb
http://southernsizzleromance.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/mcmahon.jpg

namorsubby
Namor. Those idgaf characters are all the rave nowadays. They should definitely go with the black hydro-suit instead of the speedo though. Otherwise no one will go see it (besides me of course) lol

I think Dr. Fate could be a cool movie though.

Zack Fair
It would be awesome to watch Atlantis.

MF DELPH
Black Panther, because he's already an Avenger and could tie-in to the shared universe, and also because of the success/quality of the Blade films (well, the first two) and Panther being a similar character (semi-obscure to the general public, martial arts action).

I like the idea of a Heroes for Hire film with Iron Fist and Luke Cage also.

Colossus-Big C
Luke cage

namorsubby
I actually think a flash movie would be the most successful though.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by MF DELPH
I like the idea of a Heroes for Hire film with Iron Fist and Luke Cage also. 7f1ymHlAYqI

CosmicComet
captain marvel

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by namorsubby
I actually think a flash movie would be the most successful though. A flash movie is impossible.

A high end Flash moves up to Millions of times faster the than speed of light

namorsubby
That's what slo mo is for.lol

-Pr-
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
A flash movie is impossible.

A high end Flash moves up to Millions of times faster the than speed of light

Originally posted by namorsubby
That's what slo mo is for.lol

Bouboumaster
Heroes for hire (Iron Fist + Luke Cage)

quanchi112
Dr. Strange.

JakeTheBank
DC:
Wonder Woman.

Marvel:
Dr. Strange

TheMask
The Mask from Dark Horse not the Jim Carry one the evil one that made your darkside come out and kill your enemies.

TheMask
Lobo the crazy version that maims and destroys gods with a giant hook and a living bike

Deathstroke the one that shot kid flash, not the good one.

golem370
Thanos because all of Marvels toughest would also be there to try and stop him.

CortSether
Dr. Strange. So much crazy **** can be done in a movie about him.

BullwinkleMoose
From the list I'd Vote Fate/Strange since Magical Powers could lead to some very interesting enemies/situations.

The Best Movie though would be a Squirrel Girl Movie

Zack Fair
Namor.

godking

DC:
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Flash
Dr. Fate
Green Arrow

Marvel:
Namor
Black Panther
Luke Cage
Dr. Strange
Nova

Please Discuss Namor Luke Cage & Black panther are the only characters from that list that could translate well to a succesful and good movie maybe green arrow too.

The other characters on that list could very easily bomb on the big screen.

Newjak
I would go with Aquaman/Namor, Dr. Strange/Dr.Fate

I would love to see Atlantis done on the big screen, and a mighty magical cosmic romp would be cool

Cogito
Aquaman running the current Johns reboot storyline could be really good. Any other DC options listed would be crap.

As for Marvel...maybe Nova. Strange could be good, but would be really difficult to pull off without being cheesy.

janus77
Dr. Strange
Wonder Woman (so long as she's not Beyonce)
Namor (CGI ocean warfare would look awesome)

Bentley
Namor.

And Blake Lively as Wonder Woman, don't ask me how that would work.

byrdgang21
I personally think they should make a Namor movie as well as a Dr. Strange movie. Then they could tie that all in and make a Defenders movie.

janus77
Exactly! Namor and Strange could set the scene by introducing some gargantuan baddies, whilst Hulk's movie could begin the process of intertwining them together.

Surfer should definitely have a solo movie too. Just as long as there's no crappy FF to bring the thing down to kiddy levels and no Galactus cloud either.

Maybe a mini version of Annihilation, with Surfer going after T & A and ending up in our galaxy after the battle.

rotiart
A dr strange movie could actually be decent. It would follow a similar storyline of defeat to hero kinda like iron man...

Once a great surgeon Stephens hands are destroyed by a rival competitor. Finding no science able to help him he travels to the east where in his attempts to cure himself stumbles upon the ancient one. He learns to temper his arrogance... And later stops the bad apprentice...

Suddenly in my head the movie the sorcerers apprentice came to mind...

Lord Feron
The rest of the justice league. Then a JL movie. thumb up It would be amazing!

janus77
no offence but that sounds a little too cliche for it to work.

how about starting out in the middle of a conflict between Strange and Aggamatto, then flashing back to various bits and pieces, to explain how events got there... Strange's accident being tied in somehow (say Aggamatto did it to divert Strange onto his present course).

End up with Strange being given the Eye and the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme, but just as he basks in the glory of his exalted position, we find that some sinister force is actually taking possession of his soul... ended like Twin Peaks!

Blight
Difficult to do a Flash movie but if they got it right I'd be so stoked.

Seeing Aquaman's Atlantis would be incredible. Vulco, finally on the big screan, yeah? ... Yeah??

roughrider
From the DC list, Wonder Woman and Green Arrow are the only ones that would interest me (even with Hawkeye's claim on the trick archer title now, I think you could find a way to do Ollie distinctly.)

The Marvel list - all of the above. Black Panther would work best getting in a future Avengers movie, Luke Cage as part of an ensemble; Heroes For Hire or better yet, Marvel Knights. Imagine a buddy movie with him, Iron Fist, Daredevil and Punisher all doing their thing in New York and then having to come together...Brian Bendis would be giddy!

Blight
It'd be pretty cool if they could do a side Marvel Project where they make an Iron Fist movie and a Cage movie and then they bring them together to make a Heroes for Hire movie. Like a Small Avengers wave to run concurrently with Avengers. That would take things a step further in their movie Continuity.

red sabre
I deserve my own movie ahuh

dmills
If your goal is "summer blockbuster" then the only answer is Nova. Epic military cosmic sci fi action = no brainer.

rotiart
Originally posted by janus77
no offence but that sounds a little too cliche for it to work.

how about starting out in the middle of a conflict between Strange and Aggamatto, then flashing back to various bits and pieces, to explain how events got there... Strange's accident being tied in somehow (say Aggamatto did it to divert Strange onto his present course).

End up with Strange being given the Eye and the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme, but just as he basks in the glory of his exalted position, we find that some sinister force is actually taking possession of his soul... ended like Twin Peaks!

Wasn't mine the origin though.

roughrider
Originally posted by dmills
If your goal is "summer blockbuster" then the only answer is Nova. Epic military cosmic sci fi action = no brainer.

If they make a Nova movie, my advice would be the study the Green Lantern movie...and don't repeat the many errors seen. wink

gogogadgetgo
DC:
Wonder Woman - hot amazon princes in a skimpy costume with some crazy ass back story, hell yes!
Aquaman - dude who swims around and talks to fish - NAH!!
Flash - guy who runs really fast with a not so interesting back story - NAH!
Dr. Fate - dude he wears a silly helmet - NAH!
Green Arrow - hawkeye doesn't deserve his own movie, neither does this guy.

Marvel:
Namor - see aquaman
Black Panther - hellz no!
Luke Cage - again, NO!!
Dr. Strange - um...nope, see dr. fate
Nova - hmmm... nah! not interesting enough.

Cogito
Originally posted by gogogadgetgo
Dr. Fate - dude he wears a silly helmet - NAH!
g_troll

srankmissingnin
Nova, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Have Thanos kill them all, setting him up as a legit threat for the Avengers in the minds of the General moving going audience. cool

dmills
Originally posted by roughrider
If they make a Nova movie, my advice would be the study the Green Lantern movie...and don't repeat the many errors seen. wink

GL failed imo because they broke space opera rule #4. Never try to build the universe up during the story. The universe has to already have been established with a conflict already in place. The viewer is then invited into a seemingly already rich and lush story-verse. They tried to mix super hero origin story with space opera. Oil and water.

My thing would be to stay away from origin stuff altogether or touch upon it in a way that doesn't confound the plot. Jump right into it kinda like Nova's Annihilation prologue. Set up the main players, and then get to it.

godking
A Nova movie could very easily bomb.

psycho gundam

DC:
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Flash
Dr. Fate
Green Arrow

Marvel:
Namor
Black Panther
Luke Cage
Dr. Strange
Nova

Please Discuss the foreigner

Bentley
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Nova, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Have Thanos kill the Avengers, setting him up as a legit threat for the Guardians in the minds of the General moving going audience. cool

Fixed wink

srankmissingnin
GL failed imo because they broke space opera rule #4. Never try to build the universe up during the story. The universe has to already have been established with a conflict already in place. The viewer is then invited into a seemingly already rich and lush story-verse. They tried to mix super hero origin story with space opera. Oil and water.

My thing would be to stay away from origin stuff altogether or touch upon it in a way that doesn't confound the plot. Jump right into it kinda like Nova's Annihilation prologue. Set up the main players, and then get to it.

Green Lantern failed because it felt like it was directed by eight different people and then mashed together with no tact in the editing room. It is mind boggling how one person could direct such a disjointed mess with no sense of unity.

dmills
Originally posted by godking
A Nova movie could very easily bomb.

Any of these movies could easily bomb. I'm talking about which of the aforementioned would most likely succeed conceptually.

Nietzschean
Green Lantern failed because it felt like it was directed by eight different people and then mashed together with no tact in the editing room. It is mind boggling how one person could direct such a disjointed mess with no sense of unity. Geoff Johns was a part of it. just sayin wink

dmills
Originally posted by Bentley
Fixed wink

laughing out loud

marwash22
Wonder Woman
Aquaman.

Both characters live in places that would be visually stunning in live action, probably even more so than how Asgard looked in Thor.

Originally posted by MF DELPH
Black Panther, because he's already an Avenger and could tie-in to the shared universe, and also because of the success/quality of the Blade films (well, the first two) and Panther being a similar character (semi-obscure to the general public, martial arts action).

I like the idea of a Heroes for Hire film with Iron Fist and Luke Cage also. thumb up

Blair Wind
A Green Lantern movie that makes sense.

Nova Prime.

I like space opera's, so my pick goes to those two franchises if they stick more to the space aspect of the story and shift to earth only at the end (setting GL as the space cop for DC earth and being a part of the JLA for example).

asdf83
They would likely have to make major changes to the Annihilation story such as changing the battlefield to Earth in order to make people other than comic geeks care.

Stoic
1 Thanos
2 Deathstroke
3. Lobo
4. Dr. Strange
5. Captain Marvel (DC)

TheMask
Crazy Captain Marvel
Ares
King Thor when he inherits Odins Power

godking
Any of these movies could easily bomb. I'm talking about which of the aforementioned would most likely succeed conceptually. I personally think that Black Panther Luke Cage & Green Arrow could easily make the transition to the big screen and be profitable movies.

The other super heroes on that. list have a big chance of bombing on the big screen if everything does not go right. Or if the are not interesting enough for non comic book fans.

Placidity
Originally posted by Stoic
Deathstroke

That would be so badass, a serious assassin film.

AsbestosFlaygon
If done right, a Justice League movie would likely succeed.

The JLA roster is filled with very famous and well-known comic book superheroes.

godking
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

The JLA roster is filled with very famous and well-known comic book superheroes. The would have to do it like the did the avengers.

First have all the lead characters star in their own movies and then have their story lineas eventually connect in the JLA movie.

StiltmanFTW
DC:

Flash and Dr Fate

Marvel:

Black Panther and Dr Strange

DickBlazer
Flash of course.

Cogito
I'm the only one that thinks reboot Johns Aquaman would make a good movie? embarrasment

Where's Pr to back me up?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Cogito
I'm the only one that thinks reboot Johns Aquaman would make a good movie? embarrasment

Where's Pr to back me up?

You'd have to add PAD Aquaman, and Abnette and Lanning Aquaman. But yes, very good... Just very expensive.

roughrider

The Annihilation storyline would be a good way to introduce the Nova Corps; it would excuse someone like Richard Rider getting ushered into the Nova Corps so quickly, because they have to throw every recruit into the fray. Just don't end it with Xandar's destruction and Rider having to carry the Worldmind.

Cogito
Originally posted by -Pr-
You'd have to add PAD Aquaman, and Abnette and Lanning Aquaman. But yes, very good... Just very expensive.

I was thinking more the current storyline and where it's likely headed. It would translate beautifully to a film script without much adaptation at all, IMO.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Cogito
I was thinking more the current storyline and where it's likely headed. It would translate beautifully to a film script without much adaptation at all, IMO.

I could see that. The whole "Aquaman knows people laugh at him but doesn't give a shit" aspect would definitely be useful in something with that wide an audience.

dmills
The Annihilation storyline would be a good way to introduce the Nova Corps; it would excuse someone like Richard Rider getting ushered into the Nova Corps so quickly, because they have to throw every recruit into the fray. Just don't end it with Xandar's destruction and Rider having to carry the Worldmind.

thumb up Exactly. There's a lot that they could do with that. Hell they could make it a trilogy if they wanted.

Hulkbuster1
To bad sad Dc is known for shitsmiley adaptations. list of crap superman 3-5, wonderwomen,supergril,60's batman movie, green lantern, flash and league of extrodanry gentlemen.I believe these were also dcs movies Judge dread,tank girl and buffy the vampire slayer. Then theres the sitcoms:50's superman show,louis and clerk.
The only dc movies I liked where batman ,except for batman and robin mad,superman 1-2 and there animated movies those usally are great like crisis on two earths.

The JLA roster is filled with very famous and well-known comic book superheroes.

roughrider

Unfortunately if they did it now, they would look like Johnny Come Late-lies to the party, and be seen as a copy. And a lot of personality would have to be stirred into the mix to make it interesting, which might make some other heroes getting in and others being left out.

What helped make the recent JL animated series work was it was Wally West and Jon Stewart as Flash & GL, respectfully, instead of Barry Allen & Hal Jordan. Barry's a very milquetoast mid-western guy, while Wally was the closest to a Peter Parker type at DC than anyone else. Who in the JL could possibly fill the place of someone like Robert Downey Jr., as a lovable motormouth womanizing a-hole genius? The Superman-Batman personality conflict is easy, but you need more work than that to create the dysfunctional family we root for in Avengers.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Hulkbuster1

Flash was good imo. So were most of the Superman tv shows.

DC isn't known for shitty adaptations at all.

Even the Aquaman tv pilot was pretty decent.

Starscream M
You'd have to add PAD Aquaman, and Abnette and Lanning Aquaman. But yes, very good... Just very expensive. it could turn out into another waterworld

-Pr-
Originally posted by Starscream M
it could turn out into another waterworld

I don't see how; the movies wouldn't really be similar at all bar the fact there's an ocean involved.

Starscream M
I don't see how; the movies wouldn't really be similar at all bar the fact there's an ocean involved. aquaman looks like kevin costner

-Pr-
aquaman looks like kevin costner

...no expression

Blight
aquaman looks like kevin costner
No he doesn't

Starscream M
...no expression meet aquaman

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2008/08/27/waterworld_226.jpg

Blight
meet aquaman

That looks like Kevin Costner, not Aquaman.

dmills
meet aquaman

laughing out loud Someone's developed a sense of humor lol.

Blight
laughing out loud Someone's developed a sense of humor lol.
You're feeding him. no expression

dmills
Originally posted by Blight
You're feeding him. no expression

Sorry, but it was funny.

Blight
Sorry, but it was funny.
no expression

dmills
no expression

You giving me crap about it?

Hulkbuster1

Even the Aquaman tv pilot was pretty decent. yeah I did like superman 1-2 but it just seems that his greatest foes were lex, which at the time it was understandable because during the silverage his major antagonist where either mad scientists or street thugs but superman returns used lex again. he has been evolving great villains lately. It just seems dc has a problem in their movies that make them usuccessful, except batman, I can't really point what but if I had to guess its lack of character balance,boring unintresting story plots and cheesyness. granted christopher reeves charisma was so great it made superman believeable but times have changed and superman returns suffers imo from those same problems and from a new one, which is relevants people now a days want to relate to a character(spidermans a great example) and dc seems like they make cardboard cutout characters with no real human traits such as drama,problems,mental issues and stress which marvel has done a graat job making superheros more ''down to earth''. don't get me wrong dc, comic wise have improved but movie wise they haven't there heros are one dimensional with no real issues=why should audience care and boring story and antagonist , but in superman movies its hard to balanced it out with an overpowred superhero. btw marvel has there fair share of bad movies to so as to not come of as bias.

Blight
You giving me crap about it?
one eye

Blight
yeah I did like superman 1-2 but it just seems that his greatest foes were lex, which at the time it was understandable because during the silverage his major antagonist where either mad scientists or street thugs but superman returns used lex again. he has been evolving great villains lately. It just seems dc has a problem in their movies that make them usuccessful, except batman, I can't really point what but if I had to guess its lack of character balance,boring unintresting story plots and cheesyness. granted christopher reeves charisma was so great it made superman believeable but times have changed and superman returns suffers imo from those same problems and from a new one, which is relevants people now a days want to relate to a character(spidermans a great example) and dc seems like they make cardboard cutout characters with no real human traits such as drama,problems,mental issues and stress which marvel has done a graat job making superheros more ''down to earth''. don't get me wrong dc, comic wise have improved but movie wise they haven't there heros are one dimensional with no real issues=why should audience care and boring story and antagonist , but in superman movies its hard to balanced it out with an overpowred superhero. btw marvel has there fair share of bad movies to so as to not come of as bias.

I disagree. Green Lantern wasn't bad because he was one dimensional and had no "Drama, Problems, Mental Issues". It was bad because it had terrible Scripting, pointless villains and a story that felt mashed together.

-Pr-
meet aquaman

...Yeah, not buying it.

yeah I did like superman 1-2 but it just seems that his greatest foes were lex, which at the time it was understandable because during the silverage his major antagonist where either mad scientists or street thugs but superman returns used lex again. he has been evolving great villains lately. It just seems dc has a problem in their movies that make them usuccessful, except batman, I can't really point what but if I had to guess its lack of character balance,boring unintresting story plots and cheesyness. granted christopher reeves charisma was so great it made superman believeable but times have changed and superman returns suffers imo from those same problems and from a new one, which is relevants people now a days want to relate to a character(spidermans a great example) and dc seems like they make cardboard cutout characters with no real human traits such as drama,problems,mental issues and stress which marvel has done a graat job making superheros more ''down to earth''. don't get me wrong dc, comic wise have improved but movie wise they haven't there heros are one dimensional with no real issues=why should audience care and boring story and antagonist , but in superman movies its hard to balanced it out with an overpowred superhero. btw marvel has there fair share of bad movies to so as to not come of as bias.

Superman Returns was shit; i don't see how anyone could disagree with that.

I think you're being a bit broad with your comment about them not having human traits though. Even the so-called "bad" dc stuff still had character drama for the most part.

Hulkbuster1
I disagree. Green Lantern wasn't bad because he was one dimensional and had no "Drama, Problems, Mental Issues". It was bad because it had terrible Scripting, pointless villains and a story that felt mashed together. true, but take batman for example why are his movie the best dc has, I mean generally he kicks superman and they others Asembarrasment at the box office. Well he is a human that faces strong adversaries and we wonder how he'll overcome the odds. Batmans a great example it shows the other movies lack balance for example superman is strong and he fights a human which makes me not intrested, I would like him to fight villans more powerful where am wondering if he'll survive or how will he win. there could be more like they tend to use cheesines from the 70's like if it's suppose to be a scobby doo movie. Heck super man return had plot holes, inconsistencies and a disrespect to both souce material and the nature and character of superman, I mean they guy was a creepy,stalking rapist...yes rapist cuz he erase your mind after ssmilex = date rape!

dmills
DC to date has only been successful at the box office with Nolan's Batman films. DKR will be yet another mega hit. That said, Marvel was smart in that they established a shared universe at the outset with Iron Man. DC doesn't seem interested in doing this. So it'll be weird for them to all of a sudden say "well whadda you know, they've existed together all along" or "hey, you know, there's this guy over in Metropolis you should meet".

-Pr-
true, but take batman for example why are his movie the best dc has, I mean generally he kicks superman and they others Asembarrasment at the box office. Well he is a human that faces strong adversaries and we wonder how he'll overcome the odds. Batmans a great example it shows the other movies lack balance for example superman is strong and he fights a human which makes me not intrested, I would like him to fight villans more powerful where am wondering if he'll survive or how will he win. there could be more like they tend to use cheesines from the 70's like if it's suppose to be a scobby doo movie. Heck super man return had plot holes, inconsistencies and a disrespect to both souce material and the nature and character of superman, I mean they guy was a creepy,stalking rapist...yes rapist cuz he erase your mind after ssmilex = date rape!

Have you heard about the new movie?

Hulkbuster1
...Yeah, not buying it.

I think you're being a bit broad with your comment about them not having human traits though. Even the so-called "bad" dc stuff still had character drama for the most part. Yeah I think we can both agree superman return killed the noble character and made him a stalking creepy rapist. It gets to the point where I wonder if dc is actually writing it or even care because it seems they didn't bother looking at the audacity that was superman 3-4 because if they did they'd known both his parents died and that he 100% got confirmation on kryptons demise not to mention throwing out the window his rules of human interspecies love. Why couldnt they make a restart instead of a continuation of reeves classics. marvel had crap to 90's captain america, spiderman 3 emo parker, hulk and arguably xmen 3.

-Pr-
Yeah I think we can both agree superman return killed the noble character and made him a stalking creepy rapist. It gets to the point where I wonder if dc is actually writing it or even care because it seems they didn't bother looking at the audacity that was superman 3-4 because if they did they'd known both his parents died and that he 100% got confirmation on kryptons demise not to mention throwing out the window his rules of human interspecies love. Why couldnt they make a restart instead of a continuation of reeves classics. marvel had crap to 90's captain america, spiderman 3 emo parker, hulk and arguably xmen 3.

It wasn't technically rape, you know. stick out tongue

and returns was stated from the start to be a continuation of superman 2, leaving 3 and 4 out completely.

Hulkbuster1
DC to date has only been successful at the box office with Nolan's Batman films. DKR will be yet another mega hit. That said, Marvel was smart in that they established a shared universe at the outset with Iron Man. DC doesn't seem interested in doing this. So it'll be weird for them to all of a sudden say "well whadda you know, they've existed together all along" or "hey, you know, there's this guy over in Metropolis you should meet". laughing reading laughing

Hulkbuster1
It wasn't technically rape, you know. stick out tongue

and returns was stated from the start to be a continuation of superman 2, leaving 3 and 4 out completely. btw yeah I heard about the movie. Im still kinda effy about them not using the guy from s. returns but who knows it might be great. I heard he's a great actor but I personaly can't see how his british charm will mix with an american icon?

roughrider

Even the Aquaman tv pilot was pretty decent.

TV is a different medium than the movies. DC has only succeeded with Batman the past couple of decades on the big screen (putting aside a couple of out of continuity Vertigo adaptions.)

-Pr-
btw yeah I heard about the movie. Im still kinda effy about them not using the guy from s. returns but who knows it might be great. I heard he's a great actor but I personaly can't see how his british charm will mix with an american icon?

he was fine in immortals, i thought. he's a talented enough actor that he can pull it off i think. it's not like he's going to have a british accent as superman.
TV is a different medium than the movies. DC has only succeeded with Batman the past couple of decades on the big screen (putting aside a couple of out of continuity Vertigo adaptions.)

and?

Starscream M

i think the best part of returns was superman...i think they picked a very good actor for clark/superman and I can't imagine anyone else looking the part as much

but lex was just horrible...i hate bryan singer with a passion

roughrider

and?

That there's a reason many of DC's other attempts for the big screen haven't flown. That what Mark Millar says about their appeal is right.

Unless they become more Marvel-like...

With The New 52 being the latest attempt since COIC in 1985 to move closer to Marvel's 'real world' conception.

-Pr-
i think the best part of returns was superman...i think they picked a very good actor for clark/superman and I can't imagine anyone else looking the part as much

but lex was just horrible...i hate bryan singer with a passion

i don't like that he looked like chris reeve so much.

That there's a reason many of DC's other attempts for the big screen haven't flown. That what Mark Millar says about their appeal is right.

Unless they become more Marvel-like...

With The New 52 being the latest attempt since COIC in 1985 to move closer to Marvel's 'real world' conception.

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

Starscream M
i don't like that he looked like chris reeve so much.
i just thought he looked like superman...tall, good hair, etc.

Starscream M

I'm not sure I know what you mean. i think i get what he means

marvel is more cartoonish in a way, the characters are more colorful and a bit more child friendly (iron man, hulk, thor, spiderman)

dc is more serious, darker tone and more geared towards adults imo

Nietzschean
i think i get what he means

marvel is more cartoonish in a way, the characters are more colorful and a bit more child friendly (iron man, hulk, thor, spiderman)

no expression

I cant tell if you are serious or not.

Superman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Captain Marvel

all seem to sport a lot of bright colors and aside from guys like Batman and Aquaman, I would say they are all more or less kid friendly.

the ninjak
Marvel Dracula.

Or preferably a Dr Strange trilogy with Drac as one of the villains.

srankmissingnin

If DC's only property was Batman then you'd be right... but there is a reason a lot of people (although I'm not one of them) think Batman would be better suited in Marvel.

MF DELPH
Does the Vertigo Line count as part of DC's film successes, because Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Constantine were all quality movies.

Sundipped

DC:
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Flash
Dr. Fate
Green Arrow

Marvel:
Namor
Black Panther
Luke Cage
Dr. Strange
Nova

Please Discuss

From DC, Wonderwoman & Flash.
From Marvel, Namor & Dr.Strange.

Strange has one in the works:

http://m.twitchfilm.com/news/2011/08/breaking-marvel-moving-ahead-with-doctor-strange.php

BlueFnord
Dr Strange movie only if we get Nic Cage as Strange.

Sasaraixx
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
DC:
Wonder Woman.

Marvel:
Dr. Strange

Sundipped
Originally posted by BlueFnord

Nah...let him remain Ghostrider.
I personally wouldn't mind Johnny Depp playing the role.

the ninjak
Originally posted by BlueFnord

No way.

Originally posted by Sundipped
Nah...let him remain Ghostrider.
I personally wouldn't mind Johnny Depp playing the role.

Alot of people are saying Johnny. I'm not sold on him doing action. I especially don't want a humorous, zany Strange. He's done serious before but not like what this character requires.

dmills
Originally posted by the ninjak
No way.

Alot of people are saying Johnny. I'm not sold on him doing action. I especially don't want a humorous, zany Strange. He's done serious before but not like what this character requires.

Yeah. Unfortunately, minus a few slight tweaks, Depp is pretty much the same character in every movie. Cage seems to just sleepwalk through his roles nowadays and Robert Downey Jr is already locked in as Iron man. Those are the only three guys that I can think of that could pull the role off.

Sundipped
Originally posted by the ninjak

As far as the action goes, a lot could be covered by the special effects. I would like for Docs martial arts skills to be showcased though.

No doubt its a serious role and like you, Doc being humorous I wouldn't think quite fits. Unless he had a character like (let's say) Spiderman co starring. I have no details as to who's co starring. I think Johnny can pull it off.

godking
The main question to ask is

If you are a producer which of these characters would you greenlight for a movie.

Luke Cage Black panther Green arrow and maybe are the only characters i would feel comfortable greenlighting for a movie.

The rest of the characters on the list are either to obscure for non comic book fans or will not translate well to the big screen.

roughrider

No, that's not what I meant. Once Marvel passed DC Comics in sales starting in 1970 and kept it that way for the next couple of decades, DC in the 1980's decided it needed to start innovating more and follow Marvel's approach. Hence, there was a major import into the DC offices of major Marvel talent early that decade - Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Roy Thomas, Doug Moench, Frank Miller and John Byrne etc. After the major reboot after COIE in 1986 to simplify their universe to become more cohesive (Marvel had been carefully tracking their continuity since the early 1960's and had things in place so a Crisis event wasn't necessary), John Byrne's reboot of Superman became known by insiders as the 'Marvelizing' of Superman. Ever since, it's all been about trying to make their characters as easily relatable as the Marvel heroes - Marvel coming out of the 1960's, it was all about breaking the comic trends established in the 1940's and 50's by DC and Marvel's predecessor, Timely. Hence why, in film history terms, DC was likened to the old Hollywood studio system while Marvel was like the French New Wave filmmakers, coming to turns genre conventions upside down (the words of comic historian Peter Sanderson.)

DC also did something Marvel ignored at the time: import the best writers and artists from the UK to work on their titles, with great results that were almost too dark (Marvel would lampoon all the depressed drug addicted DC characters in their parody title 'What The!?') Marvel would start innovating again only after their bankruptcy in the late 90's, and now they have just as many UK and international creators as DC does.

srankmissingnin
http://i1.cdnds.net/10/29/tv_sherlock_holmes_1.jpg

Cumberbatch for Dr. Strange!!!

You all know you want it.

Greysen93
Thanos

roughrider
The day Aquaman gets his own solo movie is when it's been directed by James Cameron and stars Leonardo DiCaprio. Until then, I'd say it won't happen. Pop culture last remembers Aquaman as the punchline of a Seinfeld episode.

StiltmanFTW

laughing

Good one.

JakeTheBank

-Pr-
The day Aquaman gets his own solo movie is when it's been directed by James Cameron and stars Leonardo DiCaprio. Until then, I'd say it won't happen. Pop culture last remembers Aquaman as the punchline of a Seinfeld episode.

pop culture can be shown the way. heck, it's already started a little.

srankmissingnin
pop culture can be shown the way. heck, it's already started a little.

Entourage? confused

-Pr-
Entourage? confused

Wasn't talking about that so much as the fact that Aquaman is attracting readers now that it never had before. Sites like IGN are doing features about why people should pay attention to the guy.

And Johns is writing him. If he continues to push Aquaman the way he did Green Lantern, I can see things changing quite impressively.

Starscream M
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
laughing

Good one.

.... confused

sorry if it upsets you that marvel is more child-friendly?

JakeTheBank
confused

sorry if it upsets you that marvel is more child-friendly?

Yeah, the Blade and Punisher movies were flicks you could take the kids to. thumb up

Starscream M
Yeah, the Blade and Punisher movies were flicks you could take the kids to. thumb up neither of those are mainstream marvel...they both have max brand, which is marvel's way of targeting the mature crowd

i was comparing the mainstream marvel with dc.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Sundipped
As far as the action goes, a lot could be covered by the special effects. I would like for Docs martial arts skills to be showcased though.

No doubt its a serious role and like you, Doc being humorous I wouldn't think quite fits. Unless he had a character like (let's say) Spiderman co starring. I have no details as to who's co starring. I think Johnny can pull it off.

Watching Johnny do Kung Fu mixed with astral manipulations would be cool. But yeah I'm not sold on Depp.

http://i1.cdnds.net/10/29/tv_sherlock_holmes_1.jpg

Cumberbatch for Dr. Strange!!!

You all know you want it.

I can't see him sporting the beard. But original Strange was an odd looking fellow. Great choice for personality.

I want Leo to play Donald Blake in the next Thor movie. And a love triangle between Jane Foster, Blake and Thor eventuates. Blake was a past love of Fosters and this can be explored.

Could be what Thor needs to be a little more interesting.

-Pr-
Both are about equal, but I think Marvel does more to appeal to a broader age group than DC does (not that DC doesn't try, because they do).

No company is inherently more kid friendly than the others though, when talking purely about characters.

JakeTheBank
neither of those are mainstream marvel...they both have max brand, which is marvel's way of targeting the mature crowd

i was comparing the mainstream marvel with dc.

Not sure how mainstream Marvel is more kid-friendly than DC. Unless you want to compare their marquee characters?

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Spider-Man
Wolverine (and the X-Men)
Fantastic Four

as opposed to

Batman
Wonder Woman
Superman
Green Lantern
Flash
Justice League as a whole
Possibly Teen Titans

If you honestly think Marvel is more kid friendly character wise when placed against DC, you're pretty deluded.

Both are about equal, but I think Marvel does more to appeal to a broader age group than DC does (not that DC doesn't try, because they do).

No company is inherently more kid friendly than the others though, when talking purely about characters.

thumb up

Starscream M

No company is inherently more kid friendly than the others though, when talking purely about characters. marvel has more kid-friendly characters like spiderman, thing, hulk, iron man, etc

marwash22
Pierce Brosnan (maybe 10 years ago) could have played Strange.

JakeTheBank
marvel has more kid-friendly characters like spiderman, thing, hulk, iron man, etc

DC has Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Robin, etc.

All these characters can and have been placed in serious, darker, and more mature storylines. And all of them have been made kid friendly for the masses.

Starscream M
Not sure how mainstream Marvel is more kid-friendly than DC. Unless you want to compare their marquee characters?

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Spider-Man
Wolverine (and the X-Men)
Fantastic Four

as opposed to

Batman
Wonder Woman
Superman
Green Lantern
Flash
Justice League as a whole
Possibly Teen Titans

If you honestly think Marvel is more kid friendly character wise when placed against DC, you're pretty deluded.

thumb up Im not deluded jake...the box office prove me correct

batman only worked when it started going dark (with nolan taking over) and audiences loved it

whereas if you watch the marvel movies (spiderman, avengers, IM), theres a much more cheery, less mature tone...and the audience for marvel movies tend to be broader age groups

Starscream M
DC has Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Robin, etc.

All these characters can and have been placed in serious, darker, and more mature storylines. And all of them have been made kid friendly for the masses. when batman was made kidfriendly, he failed. batman doesn't fit a kid-friendly motif...he needs a dark, grim one.

hulk on the other hand is better as a kid-friendly version than dark version. thats why the solo hulk movies failed...they tried to make hulk dark...but audiences love the wacky avengers hulk that cheapshots thor out of the frame.

JakeTheBank
Im not deluded jake...the box office prove me correct

batman only worked when it started going dark (with nolan taking over) and audiences loved it

whereas if you watch the marvel movies (spiderman, avengers, IM), theres a much more cheery, less mature tone...and the audience for marvel movies tend to be broader age groups

If your argument is that Batman's movies are darker than most of Marvel's, you should have said that to begin with. But Batman, contrary to popular belief, is not the sum of DC.

the ninjak
Originally posted by marwash22
Pierce Brosnan (maybe 10 years ago) could have played Strange.

Actually I always thought Timothy Dalton back in the day would've been a great Strange.
Had the voice and attitude as well.
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/the_ninjak/Timothy-Dalton-337x402-18kb-media-1151-media-87539-1077189903.jpg

srankmissingnin
Wasn't talking about that so much as the fact that Aquaman is attracting readers now that it never had before. Sites like IGN are doing features about why people should pay attention to the guy.

And Johns is writing him. If he continues to push Aquaman the way he did Green Lantern, I can see things changing quite impressively.

Aquaman might be outselling Uncanny right now, but the gen pop still thinks he is a joke. sad

Reality is we, as comic book readers, aren't representative of pop culture. I read somewhere that vinyl records have a higher sales than comic books.

-Pr-
Aquaman might be outselling Uncanny right now, but the gen pop still thinks he is a joke. sad

Reality is we, as comic book readers, aren't representative of pop culture. I read somewhere that vinyl records have a higher sales than comic books.

Which can change, I think.

True, but it has to start somewhere.

Starscream M
Im often surprised that there is a comic book industry...outside of this board, I don't know a single soul who reads or buys comics

srankmissingnin
Which can change, I think.

True, but it has to start somewhere.

I hope your right. If they can make an Aquaman movie work, then maybe I'll get a Hawkman movie. embarrasment

JakeTheBank
Honestly, if they make an Aquaman movie with the same tone as the comics (ie. general public seems to think Arthur can only talk to fish and is out of element - literally - when on land only to be proven wrong) it would do halfway decent at least. The reality is that people in general really like the idea of the lameass Superfriends version of Aquaman and the one mocked on Family Guy/Seinfeld/SNL even when shown the source material. Hell, some of my friends who actually read comics refuse to acknowledge the "real" Aquaman because it tarnishes the vision they have of him in their minds.

-Pr-
Honestly, if they make an Aquaman movie with the same tone as the comics (ie. general public seems to think Arthur can only talk to fish and is out of element - literally - when on land only to be proven wrong) it would do halfway decent at least. The reality is that people in general really like the idea of the lameass Superfriends version of Aquaman and the one mocked on Family Guy/Seinfeld/SNL even when shown the source material. Hell, some of my friends who actually read comics refuse to acknowledge the "real" Aquaman because it tarnishes the vision they have of him in their minds.

I think DC's best bet is to start giving him prominent roles in animated movies. To start making more merchandise too. Just, ever so slowly, get him in the limelight.

I hope your right. If they can make an Aquaman movie work, then maybe I'll get a Hawkman movie. embarrasment

As long as it's a decent version of Hawkman, i'd be happy.

Starscream M
aquaman will never get a movie

there are so many dc characters who hollywood execs would consider way before him

wonder woman and flash would both have to have movies before aquaman gets considered

JakeTheBank
Im often surprised that there is a comic book industry...outside of this board, I don't know a single soul who reads or buys comics

Do you go to a local comic book shop? Or any conventions?

Honestly, after getting into comics years ago, I'm surprised people actually do follow them even haphazardly. I think I also happen to live in a good area for comics as I've got four comic book shops within 25 miles, and two about a couple of blocks from me.

-Pr-
aquaman will never get a movie

there are so many dc characters who hollywood execs would consider way before him

wonder woman and flash would both have to have movies before aquaman gets considered

There aren't really that many, tbh. Aquaman is part of the core seven, and for better or worse, is one of the most recognisable superheroes outside of comicdom.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>