Fantomex vs Ambrose Chase

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

"Id"
Match set, and Go!

Galan007
AC

Prep-Man
i did this and i say ambrose or toss up.

Q99
Originally posted by Prep-Man
i did this and i say ambrose or toss up.

Agreed.

leonidas
powers are completely different. chase was CLEARLY the more powerful of the 2--his powerset was awesome. the lack of chase appearances though makes having him in vs threads very difficult because the limits to his powers were never really identified and the nature of his 'death' was never really explained either. if the misdirection doesn't work, chase kills him with ease. would his reality warping prevent or negate the illusions though? pretty impossible to say--difficult to even speculate. could be quickdraw i suppose since chase was 'killed' with bullets. such an odd thing though. the bullets may have simply been plot device given the nature of that particular storyline. if they were, fantomex has zero chance.

"Id"
Once caught by misdirection, it takes a reality warp of Jamie Braddock to break it. That or if you carry Celestial Tech like Angel-Apocalypse preped to counter it.

leonidas
Originally posted by "Id"
Once caught by misdirection, it takes a reality warp of Jamie Braddock to break it. That or if you carry Celestial Tech like Angel-Apocalypse preped to counter it.

nah, that's a no limits fallacy unless you can prove every reality warper below jamie tried to affect the illusion and failed.....?

complexbrother
Chase just slows time down to the point where he just walks up to Fantomex and puts a bullet between his eyes.

leonidas
def possible but the range of his reality warping abilities is not that great so i wonder if the illusions could exist somehow OUTSIDE chase's sphere of influence?

too many unknowns. hard to take even an educated guess as regards this match.

i have asked this before--scans of fantomex's powers would be great, as would any on-panel explanations for his powers. and i'd REALLY love a scan that shows someone overcoming/seeing through/being unaffected by his power.

i know archangel has done so. anyone else?

Galan007
Fantomex's powers have been retconned/upgraded in recent years, right? I only ask because I skimmed through the most current OHOTMU bio I could find to see how Marvel explained his misdirection powerset, and they made it seem much less uber than I thought--an ability nearly any well-trained character could match:
http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/11814118_f1.jpg

??

"Id"
Originally posted by leonidas
nah, that's a no limits fallacy unless you can prove every reality warper below jamie tried to affect the illusion and failed.....?

Like wise, I can't prove a negative. What you are demanding in the sense of "proving" requires me to provide evidence that does not exist.

Other than Jamie as the Goat. We have no other instance to use as back reference. And what we do know of that instance, was that it took considerable effort on the Goat's behalf, referring to the scene where the Goat literally broke reality - to break the misdirection.

leonidas
Like wise, I can't prove a negative. What you are demanding in the sense of "proving" requires me to provide evidence that does not exist.

Other than Jamie as the Goat. We have no other instance to use as back reference. And what we do know of that instance, was that it took considerable effort on the Goat's behalf, referring to the scene where the Goat literally broke reality - to break the misdirection.

i see your point, but by the same token we don't just assume his powers require a universal reality manipulator to break them. there must be some middle ground for reference. pundam showed a scan where the misdirect was broken in the thread i opened....

"Id"
Originally posted by Galan007
Fantomex's powers have been retconned/upgraded in recent years, right? I only ask because I skimmed through the most current OHOTMU bio I could find to see how Marvel explained his misdirection powerset, and they made it seem much less uber than I thought--an ability nearly any well-trained character could match:
http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/11814118_f1.jpg

??
Well if it helps.

Betsy recently addressed his misdirection as a mutant ability of his.

The Nature of Misdirection behaves more along the lines of Master Mind Illusion Casting.

psycho gundam
he's not a mutant iirc, he's some kind of advanced sentinel-human hybrid

"Id"
Originally posted by leonidas
i see your point, but by the same token we don't just assume his powers require a universal reality manipulator to break them. there must be some middle ground for reference. pundam showed a scan where the misdirect was broken in the thread i opened....

I know Wolverocalypse halted Telepathy, and Misdirection. So did Arch Angel as Apocalypse. Hence my quote. I believe those who are celestial enhanced, are equiped with technology to halt mental phuckery.

Galan007
Originally posted by psycho gundam
he's not a mutant iirc, he's some kind of advanced sentinel-human hybrid Is there a more recent description as to how his power works?

"Id"
he's not a mutant iirc, he's some kind of advanced sentinel-human hybrid

I think your being a bit too strict.

I didn't refer to him as a mutant. I only pointed out that Betsy refers to it, as a mutant ability. Regardless if he is or isn't, my point is Misdirection is a super ability, and not a trade any high end professional can pick.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Galan007
Is there a more recent description as to how his power works? Originally posted by "Id"
I think your being a bit too strict.

I didn't refer to him as a mutant. I only pointed out that Betsy refers to it, as a mutant ability. Regardless if he is or isn't, my point is Misdirection is a super ability, and not a trade any high end professional can pick. http://marvel.wikia.com/Charlie_Cluster-7_%28Earth-616%29#Powers

^ he's labeled here as a "mutate", so basically a human that has been made to have/given powers

@galan "Misdirection: ability to 'misdirect' another person, including the use of illusions. Together, their combined consciousnesses can create extremely convincing illusions. It seems even powerful telepaths cannot truly tell if he is lying or not. "

Galan007
^ Okay, then he must have been pretty heavily powered up since that bio was released.

"Id"
http://marvel.wikia.com/Charlie_Cluster-7_%28Earth-616%29#Powers

^ he's labeled here as a "mutate", so basically a human that has been made to have/given powers

I know this.

My reference was not to label Fantomex as a mutant, only that his misdirection is a super ability, which contradicts the handbooks description. Its not a skill that can be gained by high level of training.

Hey but don't shoot the messenger, strait from the comic. Betsy refers to it as a mutant ability.
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6906/misdirect.jpg

psycho gundam
90% of those new bios are lazily written, the old team from the 80's was far more thorough, they even had a huge section at the end for omissions and corrections

jalek moye
Yeah I can't see simple training being able to make you have someone kill your girlfriend and all of your senses say it's you even as you leave. Or them killing you, and then meeting a person who was never even there.

Galan007
^ It's a 2005 bio, so it was probably an accurate description of his powers at the time.

psycho gundam
I know this.

My reference was not to label Fantomex as a mutant, only that his misdirection is a super ability, which contradicts the handbooks description. Its not a skill that can be gain by high level of training.

Hey but don't shoot the messenger, strait from the comic. Betsy refers to it as a mutant ability. i was just about to post that.

the whole conversation is needed for context cause within you will see that it was fantomex who was fooled by betsy:
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/psychogundam1/one_night_stand.jpg

so she was actually referencing the ability (something they both have and other mental manipulators), just with fantomex's "misdirection" catchphrase used against him

this can go to the ownage thread, too. poor guy

Zack M
AC run in with Superman, Batman, and WW.

http://i59.tinypic.com/6dwmyp.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/soabg6.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/16lcisi.jpg

StiltmanFTW
90% of those new bios are lazily written, the old team from the 80's was far more thorough, they even had a huge section at the end for omissions and corrections

thumb up

long pig
If fantomex comes within ten feet, its over.

Zack M
50/50 split. Hope we see Ambrose again. Awesome character.

psycho gundam
It's quite possible that Trafalgar Law from (and thus Sasuke) One piece's power is somewhat patterned after Fantomex's. Both of them need objects or people for them to swap themselves with and in the default environment devoid of anything Fantomex can't really do that to save himself

krisblaze
Aside from Chase's one insane feat against Superman...I'd say that Fantomex absolutely destroys him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.