Dead Space 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
Games been confirmed and has co-op.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2012/05/09/dead-space-3-will-have-drop-in-drop-out-co-op-a-new-weapon-system-and-more/

I'm getting a lost planet vibe from the info.

Kazenji
Sounds good

i'm still getting through the second game currently up to the second disc.

Greysen93
I'm ready, I enjoyed the first 2 a lot, I hope the coop is good in Dead Space 3

Nemesis X
A man travels in the snow, trying to survive by staying warm while shooting at men and monsters alike, getting from one destination to another. There's so much Lost Planet in this, I hope Isaac doesn't pilot giant robots now.

Smasandian
Because it has snow in it?

While we don't have a lot of info on it, I'm pretty much think it's not like Lost Planet.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Smasandian
Because it has snow in it?

While we don't have a lot of info on it, I'm pretty much think it's not like Lost Planet.

Instead of space, Isaac is in snow now and because Dead Space tends to make your surrounding environment a dick, I'm pretty sure the engineer will have to try to stay warm while fending off groups of people and flesh eating monsters. In the last two DS games, you had to collect oxygen but since you're on a snow planet now, no doubt warmth will be an alternate way of staying alive when you go outdoors. So tell me, how does this not sound like Lost Planet?

Smasandian
That's an assumption. Not fact.

Also don't forget, finding warmth on a planet that cannot be colder than space would not really work out that much. Considering throughout the first two games, your character regularly flies/walks through space, it would be somewhat ridiculous for him to die from cold while walking on a planet.

So no, this game doesn't look like Lost Planet. If that was the case, any game with a cold atmosphere would look like it. Remember, there is more to a game than just the setting.

Kazenji
Dead Space dev: Gears of War has the worst writing

http://www.destructoid.com/dead-space-dev-gears-of-war-has-the-worst-writing-226219.phtml

Kazenji
First sceenshot

http://i.imm.io/qYbj.png

Kazenji
Seriously people erm

iuTlbGW8sf4

Impediment
Originally posted by Kazenji
Seriously people erm

Why the face?

I think it looks absolutely awesome.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Impediment
Why the face?

I think it looks absolutely awesome.

No, i said that because no one else posted the E3 trailer before i did and usually people are quick on the ball around here.

Impediment
It does look kinda like Lost Planet, but I'll hold my tongue until I see more.

Nemesis X
IhLioBaGT94

Impediment
One way in, another bogus way out!

Ascendancy
I just hope that additional playthroughs have some variance. The only thing that sucked was knowing where every creature was going to pop up time after time. Thought they may have learned from Doom, but alas, nope.

Nemesis X
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/359045/ea-single-player-dead-space-games-were-too-scary/

BnUx5BtTEfg

srankmissingnin
Women. facepalm

Kazenji

Kazenji
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Ash_ED/xlarge_zps123049d7.jpg

aEVmDaDM5xw

Kazenji
Seems like that Bundle ^ can only be ordered from the Dead Space site.

-Pr-
J0LLxccVpDU

Honestly looks like a lot of fun. Weapon customisation looks great.

Nemesis X
I had a good time playing the demo. People say the horror is gone and yet I still curse at every jumpscare I come across. Don't know why they believe the scariness is gone now that you fight humans. I barely fought the humans. I just stood there smiling as I witnessed Necromorphs swarming those Unitologist bastards everytime we crossed paths. However I did feel irked the moment I came across certain Necromorphs that actually used guns when they took control of some corpses but like the zombies in RE6, they weren't exactly good with them but I'm still met with mixed feelings about that. Thankfully they weren't as common as the other enemy types.

Kazenji
Personally i'm holding off from playing the demo

not that long to wait anyway.

Kazenji
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-22-dead-space-3-includes-micro-transactions-for-buying-better-weapons

No.....just no

Nemesis X
facepalm

Morridini
Don't see the problem with that, it's not like micro-transactions is the only way of getting the upgrades. It's just a quicker and more expensive way to the same goal.

Tzeentch._
The problem is that it sets up a dangerous precedent.

Nemesis X
I like how a friend of mine couldn't join me in co-op unless he gave EA his email password and this is a friggin demo. I'm surprised he wasn't asked to hand over his password when he was watching Dante's Inferno on Netflix.

Impediment
The demo wasn't anything special, if you ask me. It was fun, sure, but nothing new or innovative. The weapon building bench feature was just uninteresting to me. Maybe because of the limited and bland features in the demo.

I sure hope that DS3 has more and better stuff in the game when I buy it.

Arachnid1
Weapon building in that testing room was pretty good, I thought. I liked all the different combo weapons I could make, and they were fun to test out.

Kazenji
U356b_x0_4U#

Kazenji
Dead Space 3 to Receive a "Disturbing" post-release DLC expansion & New Game Modes Revealed

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-13973-Dead-Space-3-to-Receive--Disturbing--Add-on--New-Game-Modes-Revealed.html

Kazenji
TFYCgC2hFwk

Kazenji
What's up with Ellie for this game

in the second game she gets her eye ripped out and also can fight necromorphs and now with this third game seems to have made her the damsel in distress.

Arachnid1
First review gives it a 9/10.

http://www.ausgamers.com/games/dead-space-3/review/

Smasandian
Read the review. Looking forward to the game.

The issue that will come up is that it's not what Dead Space was. A scary, intense game.

But I'm cool with that. I always felt Dead Space games had awesome atmosphere and while it might not be as scary, it will still be uber intense which is still a great feeling to have while playing video games. I never been as freaked out as Dead Space 2 while being chased and surrounded by enemies. It left me breathless.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Smasandian
Read the review. Looking forward to the game.

The issue that will come up is that it's not what Dead Space was. A scary, intense game.

But I'm cool with that. I always felt Dead Space games had awesome atmosphere and while it might not be as scary, it will still be uber intense which is still a great feeling to have while playing video games. I never been as freaked out as Dead Space 2 while being chased and surrounded by enemies. It left me breathless. I'm pretty hyped for it too. I am really disappointed about it not being scary though. Dead Space is the game that filled the void left behind by Resident Evil and Silent Hill for me, and now that's empty again. I guess it's back to waiting for some new franchise to come out of nowhere and surprise the hell out of me for my horror fix.

Also, there are two more reviews. One of them is a spanish site, and the other italian. If you want to read the pages, translate on google. So far, so good.

another 9/10
8.8/10

Kazenji
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I guess it's back to waiting for some new franchise to come out of nowhere and surprise the hell out of me for my horror fix.

I hear Shinji Mikami is working on one.

Smasandian
It's not a big deal for me. As long as it's intense and creepy, I'm happy it not being an "horror". I still get freaked out.

I also feel that people are really desensitized to horror games now.

Kazenji
They feel more like 'Aliens' to me with this these games, Creeping around and then something jumps out that wants to rip you apart.

Smasandian
That's a good point.

It's exciting and terrifying at the same time. I remember playing Dead Space 2 and it was just a massive thrill ride. It might not be "scary" but still damn intense.

My favourite sequences was going back to the old ship in the first game. It was a fantastic chapter, especially when you saw it being refurbished and some of the damage from the first game still present. It was just awesome.

Kazenji
That DLC that's planned they're saying its going to be the most disturbing content

Scarlet Fox
Isnt Dead Space 3 out? Anyone play it yet? I played the Demo only.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Scarlet Fox
Isnt Dead Space 3 out? Anyone play it yet? I played the Demo only.

Dead Space 3 was out for like 2 days now.

Scarlet Fox
I figured as much. have you played it yet?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Scarlet Fox
I figured as much. have you played it yet?

Yeah, I'm almost halfway through the game.

Kazenji
I've been playing it too

i like how they've put the people with guns in the game with them being Unitologist people that want Isaac dead

those optional objectives are pretty good too rather then just sticking to a linear path just for the games story.

Impediment
I still haven't bought it yet. Work has been hellish lately and I won't have much spare time to absorb myself into it

Kazenji
With this installment it feels more like a survival horror to me, how you have to craft your own weapons and items with resources that you find.

FinalAnswer
Except the game already generously supplies you with medipacks and ammo so you'll never have to run out. <3

Kazenji
Not like that's going to save you when you get to a moment, Where you have to deal with some of those regenerating necromorphs along other creatures.

FinalAnswer
You had to deal with that in Dead Space 1 and 2, except you didn't have an inventory maxed out in medi-packs, ensuring you can't die, and a single ammo pool all your weapons can use.

steverules_2
Ending of dead space 3 is kinda dissapointing, the game itself was also slightly so...I could say maybe I expected too much from it...but I was soooo excited for dead space 2 and that didn't dissapoint, 3 kinda did but I had some moment in it

Kazenji
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
You had to deal with that in Dead Space 1 and 2, except you didn't have an inventory maxed out in medi-packs, ensuring you can't die, and a single ammo pool all your weapons can use.

i'm okay with the single ammo pool

seems like Visceral games could'eve spent a bit more time on the game, The crazy item drops might be good for Co-op not single player.

steverules_2
The game did seem rather generous with the amount of health and ammo that got dropped. I remember playing Dead space on normal and that was just...difficult as anything because I had next to no ammo...and the 'extremely hard' description said that there was less ammo when you played it on that so I haven't even tried it cause I'd barely end up getting through one chapter

Kazenji
Originally posted by steverules_2
The game did seem rather generous with the amount of health and ammo that got dropped. I remember playing Dead space on normal and that was just...difficult as anything because I had next to no ammo...and the 'extremely hard' description said that there was less ammo when you played it on that so I haven't even tried it cause I'd barely end up getting through one chapter

It was fairly easy for me on Normal with Dead Space 1.

Impediment
So far, Dead Space 3 is pretty amazing. The action is kinda lacking, thus far, but the overall atmosphere and story are absolutely captivating.

I especially love how the Unitologists have been turned into militant terrorists who even have suicide bombers that die for their religion. Now we truly have the right to call these Church of Unitology people "Marker Heads" and "Rock Worshippers".

It kinda makes you wonder if the Church of Scientology will ever go the "Jihadist" route for their cause.

I just started Chapter 13.

Kazenji
Tried out the co-op for this and good to see the Ping was good for it with people from another country.

Impediment
Does anyone know what chapter the Peng Trophy is in?

Impediment
The ending of DS3 was pretty good.

I like the "Moon" angle.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Impediment
Does anyone know what chapter the Peng Trophy is in?

Chapter 14 for the optional quest from what i've read.

Kazenji
Report: EA Cancels Dead Space 4, Future of Series in Doubt

BackFire
Did the game sell poorly or something? I thought Dead Space 3 was a pretty huge release.

FinalAnswer
It has the lowest sales of the series. Granted, it's only be out for a few weeks, but iirc a game is supposed to sell the most during the first two weeks.

It could have sold better then any of them though and made no difference though; EA stated during development they needed 3 to sell at least 5 millions copies or they'd consider canning the series. Or something to that effect.

Kazenji
Haven't finished the third game, Does it leave it open for another one?

Kazenji
ttM9UAYtx_I

Impediment
Originally posted by Kazenji
Haven't finished the third game, Does it leave it open for another one?

It definitely does, yes.

Arachnid1
I just finished awakened.

Well that was messed up. Both Issac and Carver get killed and earth wiped out by 9 other brethren moons? That was a ****ed up ending. I guess I never expected Issac to have a happy ending, but the ending he originally had that left his survival open was preferable. He went through everything he went through, just do die in the end and have everything and everyone he knows and loves on earth killed too. Damn it. :/

On a more positive note, this DLC is how the entire game should have been. This was damn scary and disturbing. I loved the new cult and its leader. All the tension between Issac and Carver was fun too. I just wish they didn't kill off Issac like that. I feel like they did that just to make it even more messed up.

FinalAnswer
I just finished awakened.

Well that was messed up. Both Issac and Carver get killed and earth wiped out by 9 other brethren moons? That was a ****ed up ending. I guess I never expected Issac to have a happy ending, but the ending he originally had that left his survival open was preferable. He went through everything he went through, just do die in the end and have everything and everyone he knows and loves on earth killed too. Damn it. :/

On a more positive note, this DLC is how the entire game should have been. This was damn scary and disturbing. I loved the new cult and its leader. All the tension between Issac and Carver was fun too. I just wish they didn't kill off Issac like that. I feel like they did that just to make it even more messed up.

It didn't show or say they died.

Also DLC was short but what the hell is up with the short length of it? Not worth $10

Arachnid1
It didn't show or say they died.

Also DLC was short but what the hell is up with the short length of it? Not worth $10 I almost completely sure them crashing onto a brethren moon killed them. Especially since this is the last game that's supposed to have Issac in it. Also, the chapter title spells RIP, and I doubt it's talking about the Cult leader or unitologists. Everything point's to Issac having been killed.

And it was short, but I thought it was worth it because it was a return to form. It was nice to be scared by DS again. The rest of the game left a bad taste in my mouth, although I enjoyed the story.

FinalAnswer
I almost completely sure them crashing onto a brethren moon killed them. Especially since this is the last game that's supposed to have Issac in it. Also, the chapter title spells RIP, and I doubt it's talking about the Cult leader or unitologists. Everything point's to Issac having been killed.

And it was short, but I thought it was worth it because it was a return to form. It was nice to be scared by DS again. The rest of the game left a bad taste in my mouth, although I enjoyed the story.

It didn't show them crashing, it just showed the moon appearing and the dementia kicking in again, before fading to black. I seriously doubt that they'd kill Isaac off in that manner. RIP could mean Earth, seeing how it's in the process of getting eaten. And where was it stated this is Isaac's last game?

Arachnid1
It didn't show them crashing, it just showed the moon appearing and the dementia kicking in again, before fading to black. I seriously doubt that they'd kill Isaac off in that manner. RIP could mean Earth, seeing how it's in the process of getting eaten. And where was it stated this is Isaac's last game?
I remember reading an interview at some time before DS3 came out saying this wraps up Isaac's story and that this is supposed to be his last game.

And it didn't show them crashing, but it showed them to be in the process of it. The moon came out of nowhere and both of them threw their arms up like they got taken by surprise and were bracing themselves. After that, it cut out with that dementia effect. There's no way they didn't crash after that. It would be a cop out if they just put their arms down, steer away, and hyperdrived their butts out of there after. The chances of them being alive after that just seems really slim to me.

And RIP could be referring to earth, but I think it's also referring to Issac and Carver. As much as I would love for Isaac to be back as the protagonist in a future DS game, I don't think it's gonna happen.

FinalAnswer

I remember reading an interview at some time before DS3 came out saying this wraps up Isaac's story and that this is supposed to be his last game.

And it didn't show them crashing, but it showed them to be in the process of it. The moon came out of nowhere and both of them threw their arms up like they got taken by surprise and were bracing themselves. After that, it cut out with that dementia effect. There's no way they didn't crash after that. It would be a cop out if they just put their arms down, steer away, and hyperdrived their butts out of there after. The chances of them being alive after that just seems really slim to me.

And RIP could be referring to earth, but I think it's also referring to Issac and Carver. As much as I would love for Isaac to be back as the protagonist in a future DS game, I don't think it's gonna happen.

Can't find anything saying it's Isaac's last game. I would think something like that would be a little more publicized.

If they wanted to kill Isaac and Carver, they would have done it outright, not leave it as ambiguous as it is. Hell, I remember when people thought Isaac died at the end of the first game. They're either going to release another DLC (This is EA we're talking about here) or they'll leave it as a cliffhanger for 4

BackFire
This game was awful. Wow. So many huge missteps.

There was about 6 hours worth of content stretched out to around 15 hours. As a result the pacing suffered horribly. The first 4 hours were pretty decent and then the game quickly went to shit and lost any semblance of identity. This game is a monolithic example of how a longer game isn't always a better game.

The optional missions were crap. The only decent one was the one towards the beginning with the 'survivor' taunting you as you went. All the others were just 'go plunge the depths of this metallic series of hallways to get the payload of items at the end after fighting off waves of uninspired enemies'.

The game relied way too much on enemies spawning behind you during a fight to lazily try and induce tension. This can work if you do this every now and then, but doing this literally every fight just feels cheap and lazy and removed almost all tension that this method of design can create. It was a crutch used by an uninspired design team and often made the fights just feel like a chore.

Worst of all, the game suffers from a fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes good horror. The game's philosophy throughout was consistently "oh, you think one enemy would be scary, well that must mean 40 enemies is 40 times more so." It's not, the opposite is true. Whenever I saw one enemy I just sighed because I knew that meant I'd be fighting waves of enemies for the next 5 minutes because that was one of the garbage ways they extended the game length artificially. All this achieves is a desensitization of the enemies you fight. They stop being scary, they stop creating tension, and they are just things to shoot at.

I hear people claiming that the philosophy this game took is acceptable because it was still intense. Vaguely true, but not acceptable as the game assigns itself in the pretense of being a horror game. The game is intense in the same way the campaigns of Call of Duty games are intense. The Call of Duty games are not scary. The difference is Call of Duty games have very tight and responsive controls, this game's controls were not very good. Fighting things just wasn't very fun. There was nothing scary about the way the game flowed. This was a mediocre action game and an awful horror game.

The plus sides - some decent puzzles and a couple parts had pretty solid atmosphere. Also the game looked nice. Also the story was sadly one of the high points, even though it wasn't very good.

Won't be playing anymore Dead Space games. They clearly have no idea what they're doing anymore.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by BackFire
This game was awful. Wow. So many huge missteps.

There was about 6 hours worth of content stretched out to around 15 hours. As a result the pacing suffered horribly. The first 4 hours were pretty decent and then the game quickly went to shit and lost any semblance of identity. This game is a monolithic example of how a longer game isn't always a better game.

The optional missions were crap. The only decent one was the one towards the beginning with the 'survivor' taunting you as you went. All the others were just 'go plunge the depths of this metallic series of hallways to get the payload of items at the end after fighting off waves of uninspired enemies'.

The game relied way too much on enemies spawning behind you during a fight to lazily try and induce tension. This can work if you do this every now and then, but doing this literally every fight just feels cheap and lazy and removed almost all tension that this method of design can create. It was a crutch used by an uninspired design team and often made the fights just feel like a chore.

Worst of all, the game suffers from a fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes good horror. The game's philosophy throughout was consistently "oh, you think one enemy would be scary, well that must mean 40 enemies is 40 times more so." It's not, the opposite is true. Whenever I saw one enemy I just sighed because I knew that meant I'd be fighting waves of enemies for the next 5 minutes because that was one of the garbage ways they extended the game length artificially. All this achieves is a desensitization of the enemies you fight. They stop being scary, they stop creating tension, and they are just things to shoot at.

I hear people claiming that the philosophy this game took is acceptable because it was still intense. Vaguely true, but not acceptable as the game assigns itself in the pretense of being a horror game. The game is intense in the same way the campaigns of Call of Duty games are intense. The Call of Duty games are not scary. The difference is Call of Duty games have very tight and responsive controls, this game's controls were not very good. Fighting things just wasn't very fun. There was nothing scary about the way the game flowed. This was a mediocre action game and an awful horror game.

The plus sides - some decent puzzles and a couple parts had pretty solid atmosphere. Also the game looked nice. Also the story was sadly one of the high points, even though it wasn't very good.

Won't be playing anymore Dead Space games. They clearly have no idea what they're doing anymore. I agree with pretty much all this, but you should consider trying the Awakened DLC. I liked it more than Dead Space 2, but less than Dead Space 1. Awakened is what Dead Space is all about.

Impediment
The optional side missions in DS3 were definitely weak sauce, however I like the game overall. Not great, by any means, but definitely not bad.

Co-op is fun, but I prefer solo play.

My biggest gripe is the flawed weapons crafting system. I hate it, to be honest. I've played the game multiple times with just the plasma cutter and pulse rifle. Great combo, IMO.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.