Revolution (New JJ Abrams / Favreau show)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

srankmissingnin
JwfCRAtkYEI

New NBC show air in the fall. Excellent pedigree... produced by JJ Abrams, direct by Favreau and created by Erik Kirpke. I'm kind of excited, it looks like a cheesier Jericho, mixed with Book of Eli. I'll give it a watch come the fall.

Plus the return of Giancarlo Esposito as villain! eek!

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

Plus the return of Giancarlo Esposito as villain! eek!

That alone is reason for me to watch. I'll give it a try but I don't hold much hope for sci-fi shows these days.

BruceSkywalker
something i will watch..

Darth Vicious
Very solid first episode. Giancarlo Esposito does not disappoints!

Mindset
Was rated as the best new show ever made.

Dr Mystery
My faith in JJ Abrams decreases with each show he does. I'll watch this, but I fully expect it to last one season.

BruceSkywalker
will be watching this tomorrow night..

Darth Vicious
They should do mini series out of shows like this. Maybe one season long shows. A definite beginning/end. Drag it too much and people lose interest and the shows end up canceled.

Dr Mystery
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Drag it too much and people lose interest and the shows end up canceled.

That's kind of what happened with FlashForward. They had a mid-season break and no-one cared when it eventually came back on.

Darth Vicious
That show had so much potential.

Dr Mystery
That show had so much potential.

I thought so too. There are a series of books available that might flesh out the story, not read them myself but I may try and track them down at some point in the future.

BruceSkywalker
first impressions from last night..

i liked the first show.. this show has potential but whether that potential is lost or fringe worthy remains to be seen.. I do hope a few question will be answered by the season finale

Darth Vicious
Yes, I want some answers too. It makes no sense that all power was gone from cars, cell phones, planes etc. Also, how pressing a button on something so small can bring the power back.

BruceSkywalker
Yes, I want some answers too. It makes no sense that all power was gone from cars, cell phones, planes etc. Also, how pressing a button on something so small can bring the power back.

yeah i know.. I hope JJ has some good answers as the season progresses

are you on facebook by chance?

srankmissingnin
The first episode was cheesy and the pacing was terrible, but it had it's charms. I'll stick with it for a couple episodes.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
yeah i know.. I hope JJ has some good answers as the season progresses

are you on facebook by chance?

Nah. It became too Myspacey for my taste.

Dr Mystery
Wasn't too bad. It reminded me of Jeremiah, the post-apocalypse show that Luke Perry did a few years back. Honestly though, what are the odds on that kid stumbling into that woman on the farmhouse and she had one of those locket device things as well?

Digi
Apparently Abrams is being sued by a student at Penn State who had this idea almost ver batim, and thinks it was stolen. Abrams's father oversaw the project at the school, or funded it or something. I don't know the details, I just heard the story from a friend at Penn State. He was pretty livid though.

Considering the Star Trek movie borrows liberally from the original Star Wars movie, it's not terribly surprising, but also unconfirmed.

Dr Mystery
Originally posted by Digi
Considering the Star Trek movie borrows liberally from the original Star Wars movie, it's not terribly surprising, but also unconfirmed.

How is the Star Trek movie akin to the original Star Wars movie?

I'm not arguing with you, I'd just like to hear your opinion.

Digi
Originally posted by Dr Mystery

Sure. A loner boy dreams of heading to the stars while driving fast in a vintage car/speeder bike/pod racer. Having lost his father and not knowing his true destiny, he finds himself embroiled in a galactic struggle. One of the main characters has their home planet destroyed by a super-weapon, then the villain sets about trying to crush the Rebel Alliance/Federation.

Along the way, he has a grizzled human mentor (Admiral what's his face/Kenobi), and a pointy-eared alien mentor (Spok/Yoda) who uses strange powers to impart knowledge to him. They also receive tech-based help from a quirky comic-relief duo (Scotty and little alien/R2 and C3PO) who are marooned on an obscure planet until our hero recruits them.

In the end they destroy the massive ship of doom when Spok/Luke destroys the massive ship with their tiny fighter that they intuitively know how to pilot because of The Force/Time Travel, and they all receive medals.

...Cracked did an article about it at one point too, from which I got a couple comparisons that I missed, and there's ones they missed as well that I mentioned. But it was obvious to me even when watching it, almost painfully so. Like how Terry Brooks' first fantasy novel was, almost chapter by chapter, a copy/paste of Fellowship.

BruceSkywalker
Nah. It became too Myspacey for my taste.

so true

Wasn't too bad. It reminded me of Jeremiah, the post-apocalypse show that Luke Perry did a few years back. Honestly though, what are the odds on that kid stumbling into that woman on the farmhouse and she had one of those locket device things as well?

it was written in the script big grin

Dr Mystery
Sure. A loner boy dreams of heading to the stars while driving fast in a vintage car/speeder bike/pod racer. Having lost his father and not knowing his true destiny, he finds himself embroiled in a galactic struggle. One of the main characters has their home planet destroyed by a super-weapon, then the villain sets about trying to crush the Rebel Alliance/Federation.

Along the way, he has a grizzled human mentor (Admiral what's his face/Kenobi), and a pointy-eared alien mentor (Spok/Yoda) who uses strange powers to impart knowledge to him. They also receive tech-based help from a quirky comic-relief duo (Scotty and little alien/R2 and C3PO) who are marooned on an obscure planet until our hero recruits them.

In the end they destroy the massive ship of doom when Spok/Luke destroys the massive ship with their tiny fighter that they intuitively know how to pilot because of The Force/Time Travel, and they all receive medals.

...Cracked did an article about it at one point too, from which I got a couple comparisons that I missed, and there's ones they missed as well that I mentioned. But it was obvious to me even when watching it, almost painfully so. Like how Terry Brooks' first fantasy novel was, almost chapter by chapter, a copy/paste of Fellowship.

Oh. Kind of obvious when you put it like that. LOL.

Dr Mystery
it was written in the script big grin

True, forgot this is JJ Abrams we were dealing with.

Digi
Oh. Kind of obvious when you put it like that. LOL.

thumb up

Many blatent copies aren't obvious until you have the "aha" moment. Then it's impossible not to see it everywhere. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the movie. But I don't hold any pretenses about Abrams or his originality. According to anyone who worked on Lost, they were literally making it up as they went along, until trying to tie the cluster*** together in the last couple seasons. They may have stumbled onto hidden nuance and depth in it, but it was largely accidental. Star Trek was an obvious copy (at least Lucas cited the sources he took from), and Revolution is allegedly stolen from a film student who's suing him.

Super 8 was cool though - probably his best work. But it's because he manages to create a tangible chemistry between the characters. The plot is almost secondary.

Dr Mystery
So will production of the show halt if the lawsuit goes to court?

Digi
Not a clue. I'll see if I can dig up the link that talked about it. Didn't get mainstream coverage.

BruceSkywalker
True, forgot this is JJ Abrams we were dealing with.

i hope JJ doesn't disappoint as the season progresses

BruceSkywalker
Not a clue. I'll see if I can dig up the link that talked about it. Didn't get mainstream coverage.

beat you to it..

http://thismyshow.net/post/31723046231/did-j-j-abrams-rip-off-a-student-film-for-his-new

oh sorry about the double post

srankmissingnin
JJ Abrams is just a producer. This is Eric Kripke's new baby.

Dr Mystery
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
JJ Abrams is just a producer. This is Eric Kripke's new baby.

Yeah, but it's got JJ's stink all over it.

BruceSkywalker
watched second show last night..

not liking Tracy Spiridakos' character at the moment however that might change as the series progresses

the reveal of Elizabeth Mitchell's character] was not a surprise

Giancarlo Esposito seems to be the best thing about this

Myth

This may help: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/4026025/deja-view-my-favorite-movie-star-trek-vs-star-wars

Darth Vicious
watched second show last night..

not liking Tracy Spiridakos' character at the moment however that might change as the series progresses

the reveal of Elizabeth Mitchell's character] was not a surprise

Giancarlo Esposito seems to be the best thing about this

Agree. The girl is just ok. I anticipated that reveal, not so soon though.

Couldn't agree more about G.E. The guy is awesome.

BruceSkywalker
Agree. The girl is just ok. I anticipated that reveal, not so soon though.

Couldn't agree more about G.E. The guy is awesome.

i do hope tracy spiridakos' character turns out to be another kate austen or olivia dunham

Giancarlo Esposito is stealing the show

Darth Vicious

Giancarlo Esposito is stealing the show
Keep thinking that. His scenes are way better than anybody elses.

BruceSkywalker
Keep thinking that. His scenes are way better than anybody elses.

damn straight

tkitna
I'm on board for now, but its lacking something for me. I dont know if I want if to be darker maybe or what. I think Miles needs to act a little more concerned. Who knows. I'll stick it out for awhile.

Dr Mystery
2nd show was okay, I'm liking the whole sword-fighting aspect of it. Giancarlo Esposito is the only actually likeable character thus far, definitely more to him than meets the eye, wouldn't be too surprised if he turned out to be a half good guy of a sort.

BruceSkywalker
show was decent last night... Miles' reveal wasn't anything special since they gave it away last week during the sneak peek..

2nd show was okay, I'm liking the whole sword-fighting aspect of it. Giancarlo Esposito is the only actually likeable character thus far, definitely more to him than meets the eye, wouldn't be too surprised if he turned out to be a half good guy of a sort.

I've been thinking that about Giancarlo Esposito's character since the first show.. it certainly might turn out true

srankmissingnin
I think the flash backs would have made a much better story. I want to see Mark Pellegrino (awesome), David Lyons and Billy Burke, starting the militia in the newly post apocalyptic landscape. Much more interesting that stupid girl looking for her brother.

BruceSkywalker
last niht's show was all right.. felt it coulda been better

BruceSkywalker
Giancarlo Esposito continues to be the best thing about the show..

tracy spiridakos is a very weak link and needs to be fixed..

the reveal of the son was also easy to figure out as well

Digi
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-dumbest-things-tv-so-far-this-season/

Rofl, especially in light of my earlier posts. JJ Abrams, visionary.

Jedi Sheriff
^ LOL.

I thought the reveal of the son was obvious when Miles said; "One of mine for one of yours." Or something to that effect.
Also, if there's no power, how did Monroe get his hands on an up-to-date map of North America complete with all the known territories being competed for?
Is this show on a break or something? I looked for Ep 6 but it's not out there yet.

Lord Lucien
I've heard this show sucks. How much does it suck?

BruceSkywalker
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-dumbest-things-tv-so-far-this-season/

Rofl, especially in light of my earlier posts. JJ Abrams, visionary.

good find

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I've heard this show sucks. How much does it suck?

you should watch it and judge for yourself

Ascendancy
Haven't watched so could someone explain: what's the deal with the lack of firearms? Seems like the previews showed muskets, so clearly it's not a matter of not making noise when taking someone down. Strange to see everyone running around with crossbows and swords considering that guns and ammo would be far more easy to come by than either of those.

Lord Lucien
you should watch it and judge for yourself Nah, f*ck that. I prefer to compile a list of reviews from Internet people whom I've never met. So far the "this sucks" option is currently in the lead.

Jedi Sheriff
They need to go all out and have a full on rebelliion IMO.

-K-M-
So this show worth getting into? I have heard some mixed reviews, some hate it, while some love it

Jedi Sheriff
Depends what you like I suppose, it has some good parts but the writers need to get some balls and deliver some good storylines or this show will not last more than a season. I find it quite funny when they do flashback scenes with a character then jump back to the present day with that same character (15 years later) and they haven't aged a day.

Ascendancy
So, again, why are people running around with muskets? I'm lost as to why there shouldn't be plenty modern guns & ammo.

Jedi Sheriff
Originally posted by Ascendancy
So, again, why are people running around with muskets? I'm lost as to why there shouldn't be plenty modern guns & ammo.

They probably thought it'd look cool and stylish (the whole thing has a very American Civil War/Wild West frontier sort of look about it.) and they aren't going to worry about coming up with an answer in case the show gets cancelled, they'll just make up some crap when they feel they have to. Or troll sites like this and wait for people to post a whole range of theories and use any ideas they think are good, some of the writers of Lost admitted that they used ideas from fan sites.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Ascendancy
So, again, why are people running around with muskets? I'm lost as to why there shouldn't be plenty modern guns & ammo. I'm thinking it's a stupid show.

Ascendancy
Two excellent, plausible explanations.

BruceSkywalker
ii hope next weeks mid season finale doesn't spell doom for this show

Jedi Sheriff
ii hope next weeks mid season finale doesn't spell doom for this show

I think it just might, it's gotten really dull lately, in fact, I don't even care about finishing this...

Digi
An ESPN columnist apparently thinks this show is so bad, that he devoted about 1/3 of his weekly column to it. Here's the excerpt from Gregg Easterbrook:

The sci-fi show "Revolution," a surprise hit for NBC, just reached its midseason cliffhanger. Actual line by a character: "Run, you fools!" Viewers have been saying that to the screen since the series began.

In the show, it's been 15 years since all electricity on Earth mysteriously stopped, plus machines ceased functioning. Most of the world's population has died: The survivors are fighting it out with swords and whatever remaining ammunition they can find. Thomas Hobbes would have TiVo'd "Revolution."

"Revolution" has weekly swordfights that lead to bloodless instant death. So far its antihero, Miles Matheson, has killed at least 50 bad guys with his sword. Each one fell down instantly dead without bleeding; if Miles touches you with his sword, you are dead.

Many recent forms of entertainment -- "Revolution," "John Carter," the "Assassin's Creed" video games -- feature bloodless instant death by sword. Actual death by sword is gruesome; the body is ripped open, the victim struggles and gasps. In medieval combat, sword victims lived for hours or days before expiring. At Agincourt in 1415, Henry V ordered the killing of French prisoners, many wounded by swords or arrows, because he feared they would join a counterattack. But in the future, all a sword needs do is graze your shoulder and you die in one second without blood or convulsions.

Arrows kill instantaneously too, at least if they are shot by the female lead, Charlotte Matheson, a fearless crossbow-wielding young huntress whom scriptwriters should have named Katniss/B. Two bad-guy sentries are hit with arrows and expire instantaneously, not trying to compress their wounds, never crying out. They're sentries!

Yet when actress Daniella Alonso, one of the show's Scooby Gang, is slashed in a swordfight, she pours some unexplained lotion on the wound and an hour later is fine. Maybe she is protected by the fact that despite 15 years of no industrial production, she wears lip gloss.

Guns have selective impact too. In one episode, four noble revolutionaries never seen before in any previous episode join up with the resistance -- you know they will die, as they promptly do. They are shot by a bad guy with a pistol, and drop to the ground instantaneously lifeless. Katniss/B is shot in the head by the same man using the same pistol, and recovers in 10 minutes without medical attention.

Then again, in "Gunfight at the OK Corral," made in 1957, Morgan, Virgil and Doc are all shot and fine minutes later; the bad guys who get shot all die instantly.

Though there's no electricity in the world of "Revolution," there are advanced materials. One character walks from Seattle to Boston without her shoes wearing out. Clothes have become immortal; all the good characters have new clothes that fit perfectly and stay clean no matter how many fight scenes they go through. No one needs to eat. The Scooby Gang walks from Chicago to Philadelphia, which would take a month even if you didn't have to fight through roving militias, and never pauses to look for food.

One of the good guys, Aaron, a Google millionaire turned action hero, is embonpoint. It's nice that a network presents a hero who does not have a perfect physique. But if for 15 years there have been no restaurants, grocery stores or high-yield agriculture, and Aaron walks 20 miles a day, how could he be fat? Everyone in a post-power world ought to be gaunt.

In "Revolution," guns and bullets are said to be super valuable, since it's impossible to make more. Yet the good guys, armed only with arrows and swords, repeatedly leave guns and bullets behind with the bodies of bad guys. In the final two episodes of the first half-season, the Scooby Gang left four loaded assault rifles behind in a Philadelphia subway tunnel after killing four bad guys, left a loaded revolver behind after trapping a bad guy, left two loaded assault rifles behind after escaping from the hideout of the Big Bad.

The other valuable item in the "Revolution" world is a mysterious amulet that restarts power. There are said to be 12. Surely the concluding episodes will entail finding all 12 and assembling them into a tesseract. One good-guy character has spent years in prison because she refused to tell the Big Bad about the amulets. In the midseason cliffhanger, when the heroes burst in to rescue her, she leaves her amulet behind on a table where the Big Bad is certain to find it, as he does, setting up the spring plot arc.

Militia behavior on "Revolution" makes no sense. Any militia man who makes a mistake is executed on the spot by the militia's cartoonish leaders. Hitler and Stalin could operate this way because their nations had huge populations; in "Revolution," there is a small and rapidly declining population. If most of the American population was dead, military-age males would be at a premium. A militia commander who killed his own men wouldn't be a commander long.

In one episode, the good guys are holed up in the ruins of a shopping center, protected by a comrade on the roof with a sniper rifle and 30 rounds. The militia commander has 30 men charge the building one by one, each dying, to force the sniper to expend his ammo. Not only is this nonsensical tactics -- if they all charged at once, one would die and the rest would overwhelm the position. If militia members saw the men ahead of them dying one by one, why would they walk toward the building too? They'd turn their weapons on their commander.

Now the premise: One must suspend disbelief to watch any sci-fi. So I'm willing to believe that the husband-and-wife scientists seen in the pilot, who were trying to invent a clean energy source, instead accidentally invented a device that "sucks up all electricity," as one says. I am willing to believe the Pentagon bought the prototype, then built a huge version to use as a weapon against China. The huge anti-electricity installation looks like a leftover set from the 1960s show "The Time Tunnel."

I'm even willing to believe that one super-evil Pentagon guy set the machine to shine on the entire world, causing the global blackout. Viewers don't yet know his motive. I am guessing it will be that he is a fanatic fundamentalist trying to trigger the Rapture. Christian fundamentalists are considered libel-proof by contemporary Hollywood PC.

What I am not willing to believe is that after the House and Senate Armed Services Committees approved tens of billions of dollars to build an ultra-gigantic top-secret anti-electricity installation, then suddenly all electricity stopped, yet not one single person in the White House, Pentagon or Congress put two and two together. It would have been TOTALLY OBVIOUS that someone turned on the machine. Even if the installation was a black-budget project, intelligence agencies would have known of its existence. They would have sent soldiers to turn the machine off.

And now about sucking up electricity. It makes no sense that mechanical devices stopped, too. Metals were forged long before electrification. Waterwheels and windmills made rotating power centuries before transformers. Sailing ships explored the oceans without any electrical devices aboard. And it makes no sense that the White House is crumbling, covered with vines. Buildings from thousands of years ago still stand, and they stood through centuries without Roundup or cordless weed whackers.

Bigger complaint: If an electricity-neutralizing field existed, all people and animals would die. The mammal nervous systems use electrical current: The voltage gradient between neurons is what handles signals. Cessation of electricity activity in the brain is the legal definition of death in most states. Suck up all electricity, everybody dies.

Biggest complaint, from a science-adept TMQ reader:

"There is no difference between electricity and magnetism; scientists refer to both as the electromagnetic force. Anything that stopped electricity would stop magnetism, which would stop Earth's magnetic field. The surface of the planet would be fried by radiation from the sun.

"Gravity pulls everything together. One force holds matter in the shapes we recognize, and that is the electromagnetic force, which is roughly 40 orders of magnitude more powerful than gravity. That's why it takes a huge amount of matter, several solar masses, to collapse to a black hole; anything less and the electromagnetic force can push outward. But if you switch off the electromagnetic force, gravity wins and the Earth collapses into a black hole. Not much chance your series will be renewed."

Damn.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.