Splinter Cell - Blacklist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
Announced at E3.

Good news: New Splinter Cell.

Bad news: No Michael Ironside. The guy playing Sam now is Eric Johnson, from Rookie Blue, Flash Gordon and Smallville.

YMMV: It will have Kinect support.

Videos:

http://kotaku.com/5915510/sam-fisher-returns-in-splinter-cell-blacklist

http://kotaku.com/5915675/watch-sam-fisher-stab-terrorists-in-this-splinter-cell-blacklist-trailer

http://kotaku.com/5915764/michael-ironside-isnt-sam-fisher-anymore-this-other-guy-is

KingD19
I love the gameplay so far. And hopefully it'll still remain true to Splinter Cell's roots and have some stealth segments, and not be pure action. I'm also glad they brought back the knife and takedowns you didn't have in Conviction. As for the moving Mark & Execute...that was just great and Sam is fluid enough to match the great graphics.

I hope they'll bring back the interrogation, beat someone to near death portions.

I'm really sad about no Ironside though. Is this gonna be a thing? Iconic voices who've been the voice of characters for years being replaced for no good reason? That's the same thing they're doing in Absolution, and I hate it to be honest.

Smasandian
Maybe it because Michael Ironside didn't want to do the voice.

I assume there must of been a valid reason because it doesn't look like they did it to refresh the series. Conviction was that game and Ironside is in as well.

I assume it was a mutual decision between both parties. If it wasn't, why would Ironside narrate the game.

Bardock42
Good news: none

Bad news: New Splinter Cell

The gameplay at E3 must have been the biggest bait and switch ever though "Oh my, playing on the Middle Eastern side of a conflict, that's groundbreaking, I need to play this ga....oh...oh I see, just same ol' same ol'"

KingD19
Originally posted by Smasandian
Maybe it because Michael Ironside didn't want to do the voice.

I assume there must of been a valid reason because it doesn't look like they did it to refresh the series. Conviction was that game and Ironside is in as well.

I assume it was a mutual decision between both parties. If it wasn't, why would Ironside narrate the game.

He's been Sam Fisher in every game ever. Why would he suddenly not want to do the voice anymore?

srankmissingnin
They said it's because he is too old to do the mo-cap.

KingD19
I don't like it, but I accept that as a valid reason. Can't wait fo rthe game still.

Smasandian
But why does he have to do the mo-cap?

Sam Fisher doesn't look like Ironside and there is plenty of games out there where the voice actor does not resemble the mo-cap actor.

RE: Blaxican
Maybe he's just tired of doing the job after a decade.

I haven't seen him do much of anything over the past few years.

Smasandian
Maybe.

I don't mind the voice actually.

KingD19
It's not that the new guy does a bad voice. It's just I'm used to Ironside as Fisher and want his voice as Fisher. Like Nathan Drake is Nolan North. Agent 47 is David Bateson.

-Pr-
It was their whole desire to have him completely motion captured, I guess. They wanted this guy to actually play Sam Fisher in every possible aspect, and Ironside is just too old for the physical stuff.

RE: Blaxican
I remember the days when you could go through an entire level without killing anyone.

Those were the days...

-Pr-
Release date - August 20th. Much later than I'd hoped.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=72784

Kazenji
Been getting into these games of late starting off with the first game which i brought off Steam during those sales.

-Pr-
Conviction is my favourite, personally.

Kazenji
They Don't have Pandora Tomorrow on there, Something about it being broken because of the projected lighting

so i went and found a copy on ebay.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
They Don't have Pandora Tomorrow on there, Something about it being broken because of the projected

so i went and found a copy on ebay.

Nice. Hope you enjoy it.

Kazenji
I've tried it out the lighting seems to be pretty good

not sure what the folks on Steam are talking about.

-Pr-
Splinter Cell can be a pretty polarising series, tbh.

Kazenji
Have they ever explained why the guards, Enemy soldiers etc in these games never notice those 3 green lights when hiding in the dark.

-Pr-
Have they ever explained why the guards, Enemy soldiers etc in these games never notice those 3 green lights when hiding in the dark.

laughing out loud

I don't think so.

Demonic Phoenix

Nope, but those lights are probably invisible to the naked eye in-game.

KingD19
Yeah. Night Vision gogs don't actually shine like that. It's aesthetics.

KingD19
Also, I love how they brought back an actual fighting system/takedown system. Instead of Conviction where you just punched people in the throat with your gun.

I saw one video where he said there's a few hundred methods of lethal and non-lethal takedowns depending on Sam's body position, standing/crouching, the enemies position, environment and all that other stuff.

-Pr-
Yeah, that looks pretty sweet.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by KingD19
Also, I love how they brought back an actual fighting system/takedown system. Instead of Conviction where you just punched people in the throat with your gun.

I saw one video where he said there's a few hundred methods of lethal and non-lethal takedowns depending on Sam's body position, standing/crouching, the enemies position, environment and all that other stuff.

Really? Nice.

I suppose I shouldn't really avoid this game as Ironside's no longer voicing Fisher.

-Pr-
new video:

http://kotaku.com/5980222/splinter-cell-blacklist-a-pleasing-if-somewhat-hollow-return-to-form

Demonic Phoenix
The more I hear Sam talking, the more I believe Ironside's departure will be a deal-breaker.

Dammit.

-Pr-
it is a shame, yeah...

-Pr-
No Conviction style interrogations. Man, I used to love those.

http://kotaku.com/5980350/splinter-cell-blacklist-wont-have-interactive-torture-but-itll-still-have-interrogations

KingD19
Damn. The interrogations were fun. And that video where the guy shoots himself made it look like they were making a comeback.

Smasandian
It sucks that Ironside isn't coming back but eventually, it had to happen if they wanted to continue the series.

But Ironside didn't want to reprise the role anymore. Can't really blame the developers for that.

Estacado
This looks great and only 3 weeks left....

YuhfD48VRGE
s1y-D-AyVJk
8578DUcLv64

Smasandian
I'm a pretty big Splinter Cell fan (I even enjoyed Conviction a lot) but for some reason, I'm not excited about this game.

Depending on reviews, it's either a buy, or wait for a Steam sale (if the PC version is actually good and not a crap port).

Kazenji
A whole bunch of videos have been released, Recapping everything that has happened in each splinter Cell Game to date.

-Pr-
I'm a pretty big Splinter Cell fan (I even enjoyed Conviction a lot) but for some reason, I'm not excited about this game.

Depending on reviews, it's either a buy, or wait for a Steam sale (if the PC version is actually good and not a crap port).

No Michael Ironside, is why.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by -Pr-
No Michael Ironside, is why. This is a massive disappointment for me too, tbh. I'm still hyped for this game though. Splintercell has some of the best coop in video games today in my opinion. Conviction was a blast with friends, and this one will be even better now that its more open world and a return to stealth game play. I'm playing this on perfectionist difficulty straight off the bat.

Here is a review by IGN.
NqmDdcxwAFo

Demonic Phoenix
Damn. I'm torn between no Michael Ironside, and wanting to play this game. After all, I never got to play Conviction.
Can't believe a voice is a deal-breaker, but such is the awesomeness of Michael Ironside.

-Pr-
Oh, I'll still play it (when it gets cheaper, as I really can't afford to buy games new right now), but I'll still miss Ironside. Dude's awesome.

Smasandian
While I understand why it sucks that Ironside is not reprising the role but it would of happened eventually.

And Ironside didn't want to do it anymore. It's no fault of the developers.

Estacado
Gonna try this out soon...

Kazenji
I noticed some places have gotten the game early and have done reviews.

Estacado
Campaign seems to be long since it's a 2 disc game...

-Pr-
Reviews look good so far; good, as I was hoping this would be good.

KingD19
Is it weird that I want a romance between Sam and Grimm? I remember that he had a girlfriend in the books, but she died or something.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Estacado
Campaign seems to be long since it's a 2 disc game...

Probably be 1-disc for the PS3.

-Pr-
Is it weird that I want a romance between Sam and Grimm? I remember that he had a girlfriend in the books, but she died or something.

Funnily enough, I wanted that too.

KingD19
I'm gonna need to get your gamer info -Pr-. It's a shame we haven't played together yet.

-Pr-
ATM I'm strictly a PC gamer, so i'm not sure how many games we could play.

Unless you play TOR or something.

Estacado
Probably be 1-disc for the PS3.
Yup.
Gonna try it tomorrow let you guys know if it's any good.smile

KingD19
I do play TOR. If I get enough money to buy these new games I'll have enough to put some time back into TOR. I had to stop.

-Pr-
I do play TOR. If I get enough money to buy these new games I'll have enough to put some time back into TOR. I had to stop.

Well, I'm on the Shadowlands server, and have a character of each class bar Smuggler, so if you do play it, let me know.

KingD19
Alright. I'll hit you up as soon as I get a chance to get back on it. I hope I can find my console controller interface adapter. I love that thing.

Estacado
Just started the game and it already looks great.
It has tons of upgrades for both your personal equipment(different googles allows you to see footsteps see through wall ,weapons,kevlars,boots,gadgets)

and your personal plane/base which helps you during the missions gives you radar ,different sensors during missions,you can unlock workshops so that you can get prototype weapons,other things like revealing dead drop locatins,health boost,a perk also allows you to customize gear during missions.

It also has a wave mode from the go.

Kazenji
Conan O'Brien plays it

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/08/19/conan-o-39-brien-does-his-best-with-splinter-cell-blacklist.aspx

Estacado
So after playing about 7 hours game is still awesome campaign might not be as long as I suspected since it asked for disc 2 after about the 6 th story mission. It has plenty of sidequest as well like eliminating all targets getting intel,hacking..etc also there are ingame challenges like perform 20 non lethal takedowns,shoot out 50 lights,get 50 kills with each weapon etc which reward you with money.During each mission you can find laptops to hack,people to capture and usbs to find for extra cash.
There different type of gear like nanotech vest or kevlar which either increases your armor or stealth same with boots ,pants,gloves increase your weapon handling skills.

Also if you complete the sidequest you can get new equipment which is nice

9/10

wakkawakkawakka
I decided to rent it first. The game is pretty good so far and I am liking the customizable stuff you have.

Arachnid1
This game has been amazing so far. Every mission has been an absolute blast. The wave mode is also awesome and gives the game a ton of replayability. Spies vs Mercs is surprisingly really fun and also adds a ton of replay value to the game. Customization is great, the variety in weapons is plenty, the gadgets are a ton of fun to mess around with. So far, I don't really have any complaints except I wish there was a mode harder than perfectionist. I'm handling it a bit too well, although it does have difficulty spikes. Besides the hardest difficulty still being a bit easy, the game is perfect.

Estacado
I really like the multiple solutions for situations and that the game inspires you to use alternate paths by giving you exploration cash.

Smasandian
I do enjoy the game....but the controls are ****ing nuts. Having A button as your run button and your do things buttons is ****ing annoying.

I'm trying to run and then next thing you know, I'm opening a door. Try to peek, well, hopefully your paying attention and you don't accidentally open the door.

The SP missions are fun, some of the secondary missions are fun but I ****ing hate Charlies defend your self secondary mission. I'm playing on rookie and I find it freaking hard.

Kazenji
Also has anyone noticed with each installment of Splinter Cell, He (Sam) seems to get younger.

Smasandian
Yeah, I did too.

I don't mind too much. The voice acting is still pretty solid even though it's not Ironside. But he didn't want to do it anymore so what can the developers do.

I do like pace of the game. I like how Fisher is much more mobile (taken from Conviction) unlike the first four games but I find it a bit too jumpy. If you push the stick a bit too far, he flys. I wish a bit more control on quick the character can go would of been a bit better.

I also think the defend missions are kind of dumb for the atmopshere. The character is supposed to be all stealth like, moving around in the shadows and the mission basically says, "you sneaked in and retrieved the data, stay right there while we figure out how to get you out but watch out, you must fight 30 men at a time"

Makes no sense. Couldn't he just sneak out and find a better place to get picked up. It's stupid.

Have no problem with the mode if it's seperate but because its part of the story, its dumb.

Arachnid1
Yeah, I did too.

I don't mind too much. The voice acting is still pretty solid even though it's not Ironside. But he didn't want to do it anymore so what can the developers do.

I do like pace of the game. I like how Fisher is much more mobile (taken from Conviction) unlike the first four games but I find it a bit too jumpy. If you push the stick a bit too far, he flys. I wish a bit more control on quick the character can go would of been a bit better.

I also think the defend missions are kind of dumb for the atmopshere. The character is supposed to be all stealth like, moving around in the shadows and the mission basically says, "you sneaked in and retrieved the data, stay right there while we figure out how to get you out but watch out, you must fight 30 men at a time"

Makes no sense. Couldn't he just sneak out and find a better place to get picked up. It's stupid.

Have no problem with the mode if it's seperate but because its part of the story, its dumb. I think I'm the only person who enjoys the hell out of those wave mode missions. I like them because you can still be stealthy. You just have to be mobile and think on your feet. There is a lot of strategy involved in those missions if you still try to go about it stealthy and that makes me enjoyment of them go way up. I actually hope this comes back in future games.

Smasandian
I don't mind having them I just think it's stupid to have it in SP.

Arachnid1
I don't mind having them I just think it's stupid to have it in SP. Yeah, that I agree with. It should have been its own separate mode.

wakkawakkawakka
I'm still playing side missions and I find the Grimm missions in particular pretty fun. With that said the Charlie missions a stupid difficult even on Normal at least for me.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I'm still playing side missions and I find the Grimm missions in particular pretty fun. With that said the Charlie missions a stupid difficult even on Normal at least for me. They are easier if you play them stealthy. If you go balls out, the second you get caught, you get hunted down and killed. Just try to stay out of sight.

Estacado
So beat the game took me about 8-9 hours only few side missions left the wave ones I think.This is THE BEST stealth game ever.Moving around the environment is amazig!
The gadgets and weapons are great its also cool that it doesnt force you to play stealthy you can just buy some heavy weaponry and armor and play the "assault style".

Only thing I didnt really get once you bought all the crossbow arrows some of the gadgets basically become useless.They could have added few more Imo.Otherwise game is awesome!

This is the first Splinter Cell game I played.
10/10

Smasandian
Finally beat it.

Ending was freaking lame and I hated the boss fight. Made no sense.

Overall, pretty good game. I enjoyed some missions while I didn't like a few others.

-Pr-
Been playing this for a couple of days now (on and off, I've only done 2-3 levels).

Have to admit that, while it felt daunting at first, i'm loving how there seems to be more options than there was in Conviction. There are far less "you can only proceed by killing everyone" moments, and I found myself actually avoiding enemies rather than engaging them when I could. I actually feel like I have more freedom, and it means that when I actually do kill an enemy, it has more impact and isn't just another in the long line of super-duper melee kills.

Really liking the focus on allowing you to choose between lethal and non-lethal, and the incorporation of guard dogs as enemies.

-Pr-
Tom Clancy died... sad

Smasandian
That's crazy.

It's a good game. I didn't think the missions had the oomph previous Splinter Cell games had.

I also didn't like the side missions. By themselves, there not bad but during the story, it made no sense.

I think they could of had side missions that somehow changed how the SP missions played. For example, if you kill this one guy in the side mission, he won't be around in the SP mission....or something like that....but considering you always in threat of a terrorist attack, it made no sense to be stationed in the US and then fly to the middle east for a side mission when the computer says there is only two hours left until an attack.

-Pr-
I do get what you're saying, but the fact that I've enjoyed the side missions as much as I have, means I can't be too harsh on them lol.

That one where you have to sneak across that small island thing was great imo.

Smasandian
I agree with you as well. A few of them were quite fun and felt like old school Splinter Cell.

-Pr-
Like I said in my earlier post, I love that actual stealth is an option now. I feel like if I want, I can go through an entire area without being seen or even alerting the guards. Conviction really didn't have that, so in that, I think this game is superior.

I miss Ironside so ****ing bad, though.

Kazenji
Just got this one couple mins ago, Managed to get one of them '5th Freedom editions'.

Smasandian
Cool. It's a fun game. It didn't do so well though....which sucks because I would hate to see the franchise not around anymore.

-Pr-
Agreed. Especially seeing as I felt it was a superior game to Conviction, and that did respectably well, iirc.

Arachnid1
Been playing Chaos Theory on PC recently. Man, I missed Ironside. I know this is now three year old news, but it still stings.

They need to announce the next Splinter Cell already too. It's been too long.

Smasandian
I will be surprised if they do another game. Or at least it will be open world (which could be interesting)

I really enjoyed Blacklist. I thought the story was somewhat interesting and I didn't have a problem with Ironside being gone. The thing is that it was a mutual decision to have somebody new. He couldn't do the motion capture part of the performance so he stayed on as a narrator and adviser. Considering Ubisoft changed the character of Sam Fisher when it was first released based on Ironside being the voice actor it, I don't think they did out of carelessness.

I also enjoyed the co-op campaign and co-op survival mode. They were ****ing fun. The only thing that ruined the experience was the last mission/boss. It was a quick time event and it was ****ing unforgiving.

Arachnid1
Agreed on all points except Ironside. Him being gone wouldn't have been terrible, if they got a suitable replacement. The new Sam was a typical soldier type, grunting at everything and always coming off as pissed off. None of Sams original character, wit, or dark sarcastic humor.

OLD SAM
Lambert: I'm hearing gunfire down there, Fisher. Is everything alright?
Sam: It's coming from up ahead, but Lambert... when I think 'guerrilla', I think 'Kalashnikov'.
Lambert: What do you mean?
Sam: I've had enough AK's fired at me in my time to tell you that wasn't one.

NEW SAM
The insurgents seem to have advanced weaponry.

He was so bland. Absolutely no character.

Arachnid1
Blacklist is now BC along with Double Agent. It feels so good to have this game back. I've been waiting for this ever since the BC program was announced. It's about time.

Smasandian
Yeah, I'm pretty excited to have this on BC. Already downloaded and hoping to play through this weekend.

I still think there will be another Splinter Cell.

Smasandian
Finished re-playing the game this weekend.

Fantastic game. I enjoyed it much more than when I first played it. I'm not sure why but it's great.

And....it looks very good graphic wise on the Xbox One. I remember the game being very jaggy, especially during night sequences but there wasn't any of that when playing in BC.

I really hope there is a new one.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.