Games worth playing just for storyline?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Ray Park
This thread is for games that you think would be worth playing through even if you didnt even slightly care about the gameplay, but purely for the story (note, the gameplay can be good as well!).

Games whos storylines you think are on the level of books, tv shows and movies.

For me out of the ones I have played they would be:

MGS Series (1,2,3,4,Peace Walker,Portable Ops).
KOTOR Series (1 and 2, havent started playing TOR).
Dragon's Age.
Mass Effect.
Legacy of Kain Series (all of them).
Silent Hill 1-3 (never played 4).
Shenmue Series.
Heavy Rain.
Max Payne.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Darth Ray Park

Max Payne.

Should check out Max Payne 3 its totally worth it.

Darth Ray Park
Yeh still need to play second one first though.

Digi
In recent memory, Mass Effect comes to mind. But I'm actually somewhat sure I'd just see it as another passable but not particularly inspired sci-fi story if it were just about the story. The gameplay moments it's able to create as a result of the story are what put it over the top imo. I actually find Assassin's Creed's main story to be intriguing, but it ironically hasn't been story-heavy (at least with the meta-story outside of the Animus).

Darth Ray Park
I dont know I watched Star Trek and Star Gate and I thought mass Effect was better than both of them, for me anywya.But not on level of something liek Prometheus for sure (which wasAWESOME)

I only played the first assassins' creed so far but i didnt think the story was all that great. it was ok and had interesting setting that i plan on researching, but the story didnt really do much for me.

Phanteros
Prometheus was pretentous crap. as for game being played for their story I will say prince of persia(all of them), EU3, uncharted, and the castlevania series(Lords of shadow mostly)

-Pr-
I dont know I watched Star Trek and Star Gate and I thought mass Effect was better than both of them, for me anywya.But not on level of something liek Prometheus for sure (which wasAWESOME)

I only played the first assassins' creed so far but i didnt think the story was all that great. it was ok and had interesting setting that i plan on researching, but the story didnt really do much for me.

You thought it was better than Star Trek and Stargate but not Prometheus? blink

Kazenji
Yeh still need to play sec ond one first though.

If your a PC gamer hop on Steam and get it

Originally posted by Phanteros
Prometheus was pretentous crap.

Hater's gonna hate......

RE: Blaxican
I love it when you talk black, Kazenji.

NemeBro
Dragon's Lair. estahuh

Kazenji
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I love it when you talk black, Kazenji.

Quit your jibber jabber.

Oh god yes.

Digi
I saw Prometheus somewhat drunk, and I was happy that at least that provided some entertainment. The movie certainly didn't.

People can enjoy whatever they want, I'm not going take offense at someone ranking it above Star Trek. I was just bored out of my mind.

Peach
Originally posted by Digi
In recent memory, Mass Effect comes to mind. But I'm actually somewhat sure I'd just see it as another passable but not particularly inspired sci-fi story if it were just about the story. The gameplay moments it's able to create as a result of the story are what put it over the top imo. I actually find Assassin's Creed's main story to be intriguing, but it ironically hasn't been story-heavy (at least with the meta-story outside of the Animus).

The metastory is just stupid. I ignore it entirely for the most part.

The historical side of the game, though, is awesome.

Kazenji
For this thread

Monkey Island.

Darth Ray Park
Originally posted by Phanteros
uncharted

Hmm definitely disagree with this one I knw ot is your opionoion but I think you may be slightly biased because the game overall is really good, because the storyline alone is NOT even close to as good to carry the game or as good as other media. I played all three games and really like them btw but really... they are very shallow, predictable and chilche.

Darth Ray Park
Originally posted by Digi
I saw Prometheus somewhat drunk, and I was happy that at least that provided some entertainment. The movie certainly didn't.

People can enjoy whatever they want, I'm not going take offense at someone ranking it above Star Trek. I was just bored out of my mind.

The first aprt of movie, which wasd the best aprt, was all about the atmosphere, suspense, mystery and scenery, so if you were drunk you may not have been able to appreciate it. When the film becomes more action focused its not as good, though sI sitll relaly liked that psr as well.

I think I will re-watch Alien and watch rest of series now.

Nephthys
Monopoly.

Real answer: The Deus Ex games.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nephthys

There are many real answers....

Darth Ray Park
Rememebr guys, this isn't just stories you "liked" these are games that you would still play, or i giess, watch, were the gameply completely removed and you were just watching the cutscenes. In other words, soemthing you woudl as soon watch maybe, a youtube playthrough of, as you would another book, tv, or movie.

So something like Uncharted is blatant... bias based on how good the overall game is. It like saying Grand Theft Auto or Halo, awesome games, but not exactly greta stories.

Nephthys
But Ray only cares about mine. Isn't that right llllllllooooooooooooooovvvvvvveeeerrrrr!?

Darth Ray Park
Monopoly.

Heard good stuff about this games.

Originally posted by NemeBro
Dragon's Lair. estahuh

Awesome smily bro mind if I start using it?

Darth Ray Park
But Ray only cares about mine. Isn't that right llllllllooooooooooooooovvvvvvveeeerrrrr!?

What you said about raping peole in Star Wars forums was just... sick, bro.

I can psot a link btw peoples.

Darth Ray Park
Originally posted by Peach
The metastory is just stupid. I ignore it entirely for the most part.

The historical side of the game, though, is awesome.

It really is a cool little series...

Too bad they will be turning Assassins Creed 4 into a futuristic first person shooter... sad

I hear Infintiy Ward might be developing it.

Darth Ray Park
Originally posted by -Pr-

Yep. Not even the KotOR games were anywhere near as good as Prometheus, but I rate all of them above those tv shows.

Nephthys
Dude, use the edit button.

srankmissingnin

facepalm

Please let me know which of the fallowing you feel are better than Prometheus so I can accurately mock you.

Stargate
Stargate SG1
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate Universe
Stargate TAoT
Stargate Continuum

Star Trek TOS
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek DS9
Star Trek Voyager
Star Trek Enterprise
Star Trek The Motion Picture
Star Trek II
Star Trek III
Star Trek IV
Star Trek V
Star Trek VI
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek First Contact
Star Trek Insurrection
Star Trek Nemesis
Star Trek (JJ Abrams)

BlackZero30x
looking on here I can't believe nobody really seems to have enjoyed Prometheus. I loved the whole "aliens made us" aspect! while it is not my belief I like the interpretation in the movies. I loved what happened at the end (even though it was entirely expected). But everyone has an opinion!

As for the topic....Assassins Creed, Gears(I really love the story but idk if I could just sit there and watch the cinematic), & the Arkham games! I will have to think for awhile for any more ideas.

Barker
Bioshock

srankmissingnin
I love historical fiction (I recommend everyone give Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series a try) and sci-fi, but Assassins Creed's story is a mess. It would be better if they completely ignored the animus and future elements of the story, and focused on the historical fiction... but even that basic Templars v Assassins storyline would need a major rework to be a great story.

Darth Ray Park
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Gears

Really? confused

BlackZero30x
Really? confused

yeah I love the gears story.....I play the MP but god knows that's not why I got it

but like I said I don't think I could sit and watch only the cinematic

Gears story was pretty under-rated until Gears 3. It was really decent, especially for a shooter.

NemeBro
Halo 2 had a better story.

I would say even a genuinely good story.

God I miss Halo 2... Best campaign of the series by far.

-Pr-
Yep. Not even the KotOR games were anywhere near as good as Prometheus, but I rate all of them above those tv shows.

You crazy.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
facepalm

Please let me know which of the fallowing you feel are better than Prometheus so I can accurately mock you.

Stargate
Stargate SG1
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate Universe
Stargate TAoT
Stargate Continuum

Star Trek TOS
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek DS9
Star Trek Voyager
Star Trek Enterprise
Star Trek The Motion Picture
Star Trek II
Star Trek III
Star Trek IV
Star Trek V
Star Trek VI
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek First Contact
Star Trek Insurrection
Star Trek Nemesis
Star Trek (JJ Abrams)

given that you generally only like things that are crap, you agreeing with him makes me feel validated. thank you.

Originally posted by BlackZero30x
looking on here I can't believe nobody really seems to have enjoyed Prometheus. I loved the whole "aliens made us" aspect! while it is not my belief I like the interpretation in the movies. I loved what happened at the end (even though it was entirely expected). But everyone has an opinion!

As for the topic....Assassins Creed, Gears(I really love the story but idk if I could just sit there and watch the cinematic), & the Arkham games! I will have to think for awhile for any more ideas.

i actually really liked prometheus; the alien franchise is finally back on track.

it doesn't beat the best of trek though; not nearly imo.

Nephthys
Star Trek II

That one for a start.

Peach
It really is a cool little series...

Too bad they will be turning Assassins Creed 4 into a futuristic first person shooter... sad

I hear Infintiy Ward might be developing it.

Okay, you know what? You were told to stop trolling. You were warned for it yesterday.

Have a vacation. Shape up when you come back or you're done for good.

BlackZero30x
Gears story was pretty under-rated until Gears 3. It was really decent, especially for a shooter.
thumb up no doubt! I have loved the idea of the series since the get go! Especially love that it is a war started by creatures of unknown origin from under the surface!

Originally posted by NemeBro
Halo 2 had a better story.

I would say even a genuinely good story.

God I miss Halo 2... Best campaign of the series by far.
meh...

I was never a Halo fan.

EDIT: excited for 4?

i actually really liked prometheus; the alien franchise is finally back on track.

it doesn't beat the best of trek though; not nearly imo. aahh ok I see where your getting at now! I hear prometheus is going to be turned into a trilogy...supposedly that is.

jalek moye
Dreamfall: the Longest Journey. The game is pretty meh as a game but it has a very strong story imo

Nephthys
All the Pheonix Wright games have great stories as well. They should, they're more like visual novels than games, though the gameplay is pretty fun.

wakkawakkawakka
Catherine had a pretty cool storyline even though it was mostly about a guy cheating on his girlfriendwith a chick that wasn't even real

The gameplay is also fun though tedious at times and I never bothered to get all the endings for it because of that.

General Kaliero
The Tales series in general, but Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia stand out for me.

Stealth Moose
Purely for the storyline?

Max Payne 1-2.

Silent Hill through 4.

Bioshock 1-2.

Alan Wake.

Deus Ex (all three).

Mafia II.

Actually, in a lot of cases, good stories are backed by big production companies and have good playability. The only games that are questionably clunky or barely worth playing for anything but the story would be DX1 and Silent Hill 1-4.

Nemesis X
I'm surprised nobody brought up Portal 2 yet.

Kazenji
And also the Half-Life games.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Catherine had a pretty cool storyline even though it was mostly about a guy cheating on his girlfriendwith a chick that wasn't even real

So I assume you didn't get any of the Catherine (Not Katherine) endings?

Bouboumaster
Baldur's Gate II. **** yeah!

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
So I assume you didn't get any of the Catherine (Not Katherine) endings?

Nope. First time I beat the game I got the good ending with Katherine and the second play-through I got the freedom ending(good).

Course I already know that Catherine's asuccubus but she isn't real to anyone except the guy she's with...and Boss.

srankmissingnin
given that you generally only like things that are crap, you agreeing with him makes me feel validated. thank you.

Says the man who's profile is full of self provided documentation of his across the board terrible tastes in movies, actors and comic characters, that anyone can look up on a whim? Funny. cool

That one for a start.

I think First Contact is better than II, and it isn't as good as Prometheus either. Wrath of Khan is too campy to be compared to Prometheus... actually that assertion can be blanketed for the entire Trek universe, and Stargate to a far greater extent.

Prometheus was filled with ridiculous writing and plot-holes, though.

srankmissingnin
Prometheus was filled with ridiculous writing and plot-holes, though.

More ridiculous writing and plot-holes than Star Trek or Stargate? Chew on that for a moment.

I don't even think Prometheus was all that great, it's just better than Trek and Stargate. You could cut a good 30-40 minutes out of Prometheus and end up with a more focused and just overall better film. Charlize Theron and Guy Pierce can be (and should have been) removed from the film entirely with only minor rewrites, and doing that would have opened up more space for David who could have used some more development (which is funny to say when he is the only character that really got any). Logan Marshall-Green should have been recast or cut from the movie as well, but that said it`s beautiful film and I honestly think there is potential in Prometheus for a truly great film in Director`s Cut of the film.

Nephthys
I think First Contact is better than II, and it isn't as good as Prometheus either. Wrath of Khan is too campy to be compared to Prometheus... actually that assertion can be blanketed for the entire Trek universe, and Stargate to a far greater extent.

Why is First Contact so great? WoK is a genuinely brilliant movie, and while you may not appreciate the more theatrical tone, you should recognise that the wealth of literary references and the extremely strong themes of the movie make it so.

Also First Contact introduced the Borg Queen, which stands as a completely ****head retarded decision.

-Pr-
Says the man who's profile is full of self provided documentation of his across the board terrible tastes in movies, actors and comic characters, that anyone can look up on a whim? Funny. cool

It's okay Srank, your trollish/hipsterish "it's cool to hate the things people like" attitude is something i've come to expect by this point.

Though your lack of knowledge about the Star Trek universe does amuse me. Not much, but a little.

srankmissingnin
Why is First Contact so great? WoK is a genuinely brilliant movie, and while you may not appreciate the more theatrical tone, you should recognise that the wealth of literary references and the extremely strong themes of the movie make it so.

Also First Contact introduced the Borg Queen, which stands as a completely ****head retarded decision.

I like Wrath of Khan, I just prefer Fist Contact. I think it`s less campy - which is an easy task when Ricardo Montalban`s tan shirtless torso isn`t chewing up scenery left and right - and I prefer the crew of TNG.

Nephthys
So basically its just personal taste.

Cool story bro.

srankmissingnin
It's okay Srank, your trollish/hipsterish "it's cool to hate the things people like" attitude is something i've come to expect by this point.

Though your lack of knowledge about the Star Trek universe does amuse me. Not much, but a little.

I have to say, I love the irony in a person who replies to a post with "LOL!!! Everything you like is crap!" Accusing someone of "a trollish/hipsterish "it's cool to hate the things people like" attitude". That's really quaint. facepalm

You are the Wesley Crusher of KMC, baselessly arrogant, annoying, social inept and a hypocrite. Maybe one day if we are all lucky you will break free of the cocoon of terribleness and turn into a Wil Wheaton. We can only hope.

-Pr-
I have to say, I love the irony in a person who replies to a post with "LOL!!! Everything you like is crap!" Accusing someone of "a trollish/hipsterish "it's cool to hate the things people like" attitude". That's really quaint. facepalm

You are the Wesley Crusher of KMC, baselessly arrogant, annoying, social inept and a hypocrite. Maybe one day if we are all lucky you will break free of the cocoon of terribleness and turn into a Wil Wheaton. We can only hope.

Sounds like you're mad about something... What, because I used the word "generally" in the first place, making your subsequent post incorrect?

It's okay, I don't mind. Get it all out.

Kazenji
Could we move away from Prometheus, We have a whole thread for it in the movie section.

srankmissingnin
So basically its just personal taste.

Cool story bro.

Did you think I was going to provide you with quantifiable, empirical proof that First Contact is a better film? All I can tell you is what I think, and what I think First Contact is less campy, more serious, suspenseful and dramatic sci-fi story with characters I like more than Wrath of Khan. I don't really know what you are looking for? Rotten Tomatoes ranks First Contact above Wrath of Khan if you place any value in that, but I don't.

Nephthys
Did you think I was going to provide you with quantifiable, empirical proof that First Contact is a better film? All I can tell you is what I think, and what I think First Contact is less campy, more serious, suspenseful and dramatic sci-fi story with characters I like more than Wrath of Khan. I don't really know what you are looking for? Rotten Tomatoes ranks First Contact above Wrath of Khan if you place any value in that, but I don't.

I was looking for something a bit more serious than that you just like it more. If you're going to mock others on their preferences you should probably be more prepared to actually back up your own preferences, otherwise you might look slightly hypocritical.

srankmissingnin
Sounds like you're mad about something... What, because I used the word "generally" in the first place, making your subsequent post incorrect?

It's okay, I don't mind. Get it all out.

Because the word "generally" completely changes the sentiment, right? The subtlety in "everything you like is bad," and "as a rule the vast majority of the things you like are bad," completely divorces the meaning of your post from my perception? Rivers apart. eek!

I'm not mad dude, I'm laughing. You're a real hoot to be honest. I always think its cute when you start posting.

I was looking for something a bit more serious than that you just like it more. If you're going to mock others on their preferences you should probably be more prepared to actually back up your own preferences, otherwise you might look slightly hypocritical.

Well, I did tell you why I liked it more though. I supposed I could expand on that thesis and try to prove each point is stated by referencing scenes from both movies, but I'd rather not write and essay about Star Trek in a video games thread...

-Pr-
Because the word "generally" completely changes the sentiment, right? The subtlety in "everything you like is bad," and "as a rule the vast majority of the things you like are bad," completely divorces the meaning of your post from my perception? Rivers apart. eek!

I'm not mad dude, I'm laughing. You're a real hoot to be honest. I always think its cute when you start posting.

Well, I did tell you why I liked it more though. I supposed I could expand on that thesis and try to prove each point is stated by referencing scenes from both movies, but I'd rather not write and essay about Star Trek in a video games thread...

lol okay, if you say so.

But please, tell more people to stop doing what you do on a regular basis. thumb up

Kazenji
Legacy of Kain.

Peach
Guys, knock it off.

Arachnid1
Almost all the Silent Hill games have good stories. A lot of those games seem to fail because of gameplay or something to that effect though. Even Homecoming was usually reviewed to have a good story, even though it missed everything else.

Gears 2 had a good story. 1 and 3 don't compare.

Mass Effect series
Uncharted 2 had a great story (1 and 3 weren't as good here either)
The Bioshock series
Deus Ex series
Assassins Creed series
Alan Wake
Portal series
Heavy Rain
Arkham City
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy series (mostly)
Elder Scrolls
Half-Life series
Metal Gear Solid series
Most Zelda games

Zack Fair
Does this mean games whose gameplay/graphics make the story the only thing worthwhile?

Whatever...

Of the top of my head I'd say Xenogears, Bioshock, FFT.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Does this mean games whose gameplay/graphics make the story the only thing worthwhile?

Whatever...

Of the top of my head I'd say Xenogears, Bioshock, FFT.

I think it's more so games where the story is good enough to keep you invested regardless of the gameplay. Like if you removed it all together would be a story worth checking out

-Pr-
For me:

MGS (as convoluted as it could get)
Resident Evil serious (same)
Splinter Cell
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Onimusha 1-3
Mass Effect 1-3
Dragon Age (outstanding story, imo)

The usual suspects, I guess.

Kazenji
For me:

MGS (as convoluted as it could get)

Its not that convoluted if you can understand it all.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
Its not that convoluted if you can understand it all.

Oh, even if you can understand it, it's convoluted as hell. I'm not neccessarily saying it's a bad thing, just that it is what it is.

Newjak
A lot of games have already been said so I'll give a personal favorite of mine.

Shadowman

I thought the story was very interesting and deep. I like the history, and the world you got put into. While the ending was a bit disappointing I still thought the story was awesome.

It's an older game so I don't know how well it would hold up today with the gameplay and visuals, but the story was quality imo.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Newjak

It's an older game so I don't know how well it would hold up today with the gameplay and visuals, but the story was quality imo.

I remember with the PS1 version it got laggy at times.

Newjak
I remember with the PS1 version it got laggy at times. Yeah I remember that to. It definitely wasn't a perfect game but I think story wise it's worth playing.

Blair Wind
The Mass Effect Trilogy (I actually watched ME1 as a "tv show" someone made complete with intro music/scenes for each "episode"wink
Heavy Rain
Uncharted
Batman: Arkham Asylum/City
Assassin Creed
Final Fantasy (like someone said, mostly)
Dragon Age

No End N Site
Shenmue. I mean, why else would you play thru that game? The gameplay sure as in hell wasn't fun for most of the damn thing. But I played it any way and even bought the 2nd installment. Hell, I deeply desire a 3rd. It has to be story.

Nephthys
The Persona games are another recommendation, though the gameplay is still good imo.

There is no game that I would play that has shitty gameplay but a good story. If all I wanted was a good story, I'd read a book or watch a movie.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Newjak
Yeah I remember that to. It definitely wasn't a perfect game but I think story wise it's worth playing.

Supposedly it was better on the N64 and PC (Of course), Yeah i agree for story wise it was great.

No End N Site
Supposedly it was better on the N64 and PC (Of course).

PC Fanboy! stick out tongue

Cyner
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

the gameplay was merely ok, the story and atmosphere were great.

Darth Ray Park
There is no game that I would play that has shitty gameplay but a good story. If all I wanted was a good story, I'd read a book or watch a movie.

What if story was as good as a good book or movie, and you got to skip gameplay (so you wtach youtube playthrough fore xample)

Darth Ray Park
Originally posted by No End N Site
Shenmue. I mean, why else would you play thru that game? The gameplay sure as in hell wasn't fun for most of the damn thing. But I played it any way and even bought the 2nd installment. Hell, I deeply desire a 3rd. It has to be story.

thumb up

Shenmue stories is Awesome!

Darth Ray Park
Why is Uncharted gertting votes btw? Uncharted has amazing everything (and I indluce voice acting and animations and stuff) EXCEPT script, which just plain sucks.

-Pr-
Why is Uncharted gertting votes btw? Uncharted has amazing everything (and I indluce voice acting and animations and stuff) EXCEPT script, which just plain sucks.

I disagree. From what I've played of the games, I actually liked the writing.

Darth Ray Park
Well first, remember that tis threads is about stories that is good as a good movie or book or tv show, and so good that you would consider watching a playthrough of the game oif that your only option because storyline is so good.

Arte you really telling me that you think Uncharted meet that criteria?

The story is not very interesting, very emotional, very detail, very unique, or really, anything that would make it great story, such as stories like Mass Effect which have very interesting and detailed characters and interesting setting and plot twists etc. Uncharted does not meet that criteria, sorry, and if you insist it is it must be bias speaking/. Sorry.

BTW, I like the games. But I make this thread to get good recomendations so people reallys shouldnt be saying games like these. I dont mean any offence bro but you is clearly cleary very bias.

Darth Ray Park
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Purely for the storyline?

Max Payne 1-2.

Silent Hill through 4.

Bioshock 1-2.

Alan Wake.

Deus Ex (all three).

Mafia II.

Actually, in a lot of cases, good stories are backed by big production companies and have good playability. The only games that are questionably clunky or barely worth playing for anything but the story would be DX1 and Silent Hill 1-4.

Hmm. Nice list but how comes none of the KotOR, Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid games?

-Pr-
Well first, remember that tis threads is about stories that is good as a good movie or book or tv show, and so good that you would consider watching a playthrough of the game oif that your only option because storyline is so good.

Arte you really telling me that you think Uncharted meet that criteria?

The story is not very interesting, very emotional, very detail, very unique, or really, anything that would make it great story, such as stories like Mass Effect which have very interesting and detailed characters and interesting setting and plot twists etc. Uncharted does not meet that criteria, sorry, and if you insist it is it must be bias speaking/. Sorry.

BTW, I like the games. But I make this thread to get good recomendations so people reallys shouldnt be saying games like these. I dont mean any offence bro but you is clearly cleary very bias.

pr1983...

I don't agree at all.

Darth Ray Park
Really? confused

I mean its not as bad as posting Gears or something, but still...

I just think a clear line should be drawn between stories that are great and those that are just good.

You really think you can compare Uncharted to Dragon Age, MGS, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, Max Payne etc..?

-Pr-
Really? confused

I mean its not as bad as posting Gears or something, but still...

I just think a clear line should be drawn between stories that are great and those that are just good.

You really think you can compare Uncharted to Dragon Age, MGS, Silent Hill, Legacy of Kain, Max Payne etc..?

In terms of scope and actual story, yes. It's a modern Indiana Jones.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Cyner
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

the gameplay was merely ok, the story and atmosphere were great.

Just finished this recently. I agree excellent atmosphere and plot.

-Eternal Darkness.
-Psychonauts.
-Splinter Cell.
-Vampire Bloodlines.
-Ghost in the Shell. PS1.
-D. PS1.
-Day of the Tentacle.
-the Broken Sword series.
But the grand winner is-

-Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

Simply one of the best games ever made. Would've made a great movie or animation. A writer who owns a secondhand bookstore in New Orleans must help solve a series of murders based on Voodoo practitioning. Tim Curry and Mark Hamil provided voice work amongst many others. One of those games everyone must play before they die.

Darth Ray Park
This thread is for games that you think would be worth playing through even if you didnt even slightly care about the gameplay, but purely for the story (note, the gameplay can be good as well!).

Games whos storylines you think are on the level of books, tv shows and movies.

For me out of the ones I have played they would be:

MGS Series (1,2,3,4,Peace Walker,Portable Ops).
KOTOR Series (1 and 2, havent started playing TOR).
Dragon's Age.
Mass Effect.
Legacy of Kain Series (all of them).
Silent Hill 1-3 (never played 4).
Shenmue Series.
Heavy Rain.
Max Payne.

I should probably add Final Fantasy X and Tales of Vesperia as well on second thought. Tales of Vesperia is on par with a good anime and Final Fantasy X was also pretty awesome, though I really hated Tidus and Yuna, and Blitzball for some reason really rubbed me the wrong way... sick

Darth Ray Park
Haven't played Eternal Darkness but it is made by same developer as Legacy of Kain right? Only thing I heard about it though is it rips off part of the Psycho Mantis scene in Metal Gear Solid 1.

the ninjak
Haven't played Eternal Darkness but it is made by same developer as Legacy of Kain right? Only thing I heard about it though is it rips off part of the Psycho Mantis scene in Metal Gear Solid 1.

I would'nt call it "ripping off" to say that is to say the works of Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali were ripoffs considering they learnt the styles of the masters then expressed them in his their way.

Great artists copy and steal. But it's still great art. Play the game. I remember Arkham Asylum had similar moments to the the one you referenced. A great game.

Darth Ray Park
Oh I'm sure it is, I hear really good things about it. But apparently it makes it seem like the screen has turned off or crashed or something during one of the moments where your character starts to go crazy, which is pretty clear copy of Psycho Mantis switching off your screen in MGS1.

Nephthys
From what I've heard its an absolutely amazing game and I'd be playing it if I had a GameCube.

the ninjak
From what I've heard its an absolutely amazing game and I'd be playing it if I had a GameCube.

You can play it on the Wii. The Wii can play Gamecube games. Or you can attach a HD to it. Bon Apetit.

Nephthys
No Wii either. Fvck Nintendo, row row fight da powah!

the ninjak
If Nintendo are the Powah then I'd love to know what the others are.

Nephthys
Misunderstood. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-colbert.gif

Ushgarak
The Eternal Darkness fourth wall schtick is completely spoiled once you get the sanity restoring spell, which is both conceptually weird and gameplay breaking.

Great idea though- needs more use.

the ninjak

the ninjak
And here is the playthrough for I have no mouth and must scream. Minds will be blown. I remember playing this as a young teen and ripping the hair out of my head. enjoy.
They don't make games like this anymore.

rQl5OBSoH9Q

Darth Ray Park
Been playing through Catherine and the story is freaking awesome. Has the feel of a really cool, interesting, mature and well done anime. Like, really good. Awesome recommendation for whoever suggestde it. Interesting gameplay too cool (am playing on easy mode lol).

the ninjak
I saw Catherine in the local store and took an interest in it. Checked out Youtube videos and saw that it is a cool psychological thriller with morbid comedic undertones.

When I have time I'll check it out. big grin

Kind of reminds me of some Japanese date sim RPGs games I've played in the past.

Darth Ray Park
Anybody here played Tales of Graces F? Just started playing it myself and I hear good things.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.