Superman in the New 52

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
Not sure if we have a thread like this already, so If we do, apologies. Basically the idea of this thread is to talk about how people like or dislike how Superman has been portrayed in the New 52 accross the books he's been featured in (which are at this moment, primarily JL, Action and Superman). I'm talking powers and power level, personality, his relationships, and even the costume itself, which was one of the biggest changes on a very obvious level.

I'll start:

Power wise I've been very pleased by how they've portrayed him; already he's a Herald, and more than once we've had people talking about how he's without equal power wise. Hyperbole or not, it does show how highly he's been regarded.

At this point I'd say he's Low-to-Mid Herald, but he's accelerating towards High imo.

Personality wise I like that there are obvious differences between Action, the early arcs of JL and of course, Superman. While Superman seems to deal with it more than the others, I am kind of stuck waiting on them to actually go and give him a girlfriend seeing as Lois isn't in the picture (though they're already hinting at it, the bastards). Hopefully Morrison lets young Superman have some fun. Or even Johns in JL.

The suit? I like it. It being armor doesn't really bother me as much as before, as his powers have still grown quite strong in the past few months. Beating his "clone", going toe-to-toe with Darkseid, etc. All showing that he's a foce to be reckoned with.

My favourite Superman moment post reboot?

Has to be this:

http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/12465568_jl_03_009-0_copy.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/12465569_jl_03_011_copy.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/12465570_jl_03_012_copy.jpg

But yeah, very happy with how Superman has been portrayed in the New 52, especially considering how bad he'd had it the last three or four years under people like Robinson and McDuffie.

roughrider
Think they may do something radical and have Superman get involved with someone other than Lois? Like Lana, Diana...someone outside his usual sandbox. Like Spider Man since the events of OMD, it's an opportunity to explore.

-Pr-
morrison said he would; we're just waiting to see who it is at this point.

JakeTheBank
I like how Superman is earning his hype a lot, actually.

-Pr-
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I like how Superman is earning his hype a lot, actually.

You mean he's as good as they're saying he is?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by -Pr-
You mean he's as good as they're saying he is?

Yeah, for the most part.

I was afraid that in the new continuity, Superman would be given good feats, sure, but there would be a lot of lip service designed purely just to build him up through comments and statements made by narration or other characters.

I liked how Morrison was adamant about giving him his "labors" so to speak, and other writers are following suit, more or less.

-Pr-
Yeah, for the most part.

I was afraid that in the new continuity, Superman would be given good feats, sure, but there would be a lot of lip service designed purely just to build him up through comments and statements made by narration or other characters.

I liked how Morrison was adamant about giving him his "labors" so to speak, and other writers are following suit, more or less.

Oh, okay, and yeah, I agree totally. Even in the Perez/Jurgens book they've been doing their best to show him off.

Endless Mike
Honestly I haven't seen him do anything impressive in the new continuity. Although I might have missed something. What's his best feat?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Honestly I haven't seen him do anything impressive in the new continuity. Although I might have missed something. What's his best feat?

His best ones, I would say, are:

In JLA:

The Parademon army.
Smashing Hal's constructs.
Tagging Barry.
Briefly matching Darkseid physically, especially when the guy had been basically no-selling everything else.

Action, he's young, so his feats aren't going to be uber, but for his power level, they're pretty impressive.

Leaping in to space.
His fight on the Brainiac ship.
Speed-wise he's shown really, really good reflexes.

I'm probably forgetting others.

In Superman, he's actually had some really good ones.

Beating his "double" when the thing had basically smacked Supergirl around like a red-headed stepchild.
His encounters with the "elementals".

I'm probably forgetting more, again...

Endless Mike
I haven't been reading the new JLA so that explains it. Honestly Supergirl has been impressing me more...

-Pr-
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I haven't been reading the new JLA so that explains it. Honestly Supergirl has been impressing me more...

Read Superman; it's technically the weakest of the three books, but power wise they've shown him to be pretty impressive imo.

bluewaterrider

Beating his "double" when the thing had basically smacked Supergirl around like a red-headed stepchild.

You're talking about the Eradicator in Superman #6.

You forget that the Eradicator took Superman himself out an issue or 2 earlier.

Likewise you forget, or do not realize, that the Eradicator did not beat Supergirl with pure physical force, and that Eradicator was not beaten with pure physical force either.

Superman himself highlights that fact while fighting Eradicator.
Note the image I uploaded for this post.

Good scene, though.
And it IS a good feat, just not from the physical force standpoint your post portrays it as.

I disagree with your assessment of the Parademons as his best scene, by the way.
That's probably the WORST I've seen from him.

Superman violently killing opponents when he still (at least theoretically) has the power to contain? That's not Superman.
That felt, and still feels, off.

But I consider that the exception to the overall DCnU Superman portrayal.

In fact, in answer to your original post in this thread, I'm liking DCnU Superman overall a great deal, ESPECIALLY in the way he intelligently tackles enemies.

The level of resourcefulness he demonstrates in some fights is nearly 1960s Spider-man worthy.

SupermanDCnU doesn't seem to have the power of 2011 Superman in any title.

Surprisingly, though, he seems to be garnering MORE readership?

Then again, if this is true ... "surprisingly" is the wrong term to use...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Superman #6, Volume 3
Writer: George Perez
Penciller: Nicola Scott
(Actual) Release Date: February 2012
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Pr-
I said it was my favourite scene, not that it was his best scene.

And no, I disagree tbh.

bluewaterrider
confused

You dispute the idea that Superman should not kill unless necessary?

Galan007
The suit is okay. I just wish Morrison would have waited longer to introduce it. I enjoyed this Clark so much more as a character when he was wearing poor boy farm clothes. They gave him an average joe/fallible vibe that lended a LOT to his character, imo.

-Pr-
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
confused

You dispute the idea that Superman should not kill unless necessary?

I was talking about the other parts of your post.

Also, they were parademons.

Originally posted by Galan007
The suit is okay. I just wish Morrison would have waited longer to introduce it. I enjoyed this Clark so much more as a character when he was wearing poor boy farm clothes. They gave him an average joe/fallible vibe that lended a LOT to his character, imo.

Agreed.

bluewaterrider
Are parademons non-living beings and I'm unaware of it?
Or are they equivalent to some type of insect that no one should feel remorse over eliminating? Please explain your reasoning.

Also, would appreciate if you clarified what you were disagreeing with me about. As mentioned before, there are quite a few subjects I touched on.

Presumably you disagree that Supergirl was taken down with pure physical force?
Or think that Eradicator was?
Or disagree that Superman was taken out earlier?

I can't imagine you would be arguing that Superman is non-resourceful and UNintelligent when it comes to fighting foes in the Superman magazine, though you might in some other title.

Perhaps you think sales are lower after DC's reboot than they were before?

Clarify, please. What exactly did I write that you disagree with?

PillarofOsiris
I wonder if Pre Reboot Superman will somehow make an appearance in the new continuity somehow (kind of like a Superboy Prime type of deal).

Zack Fair
They better not turn him psycho.

PillarofOsiris
DC is doing an amazing job with Superman in the New 52. Imagine that, a company not treating one of their oldest, most well established and popular characters like a pathetic rag doll.

-Pr-
So yeah, Superman and Wonder Woman shacking up. Thoughts?

bluewaterrider
With no Lois present to truly compete with Diana, her being tied up with her own affairs and all, the pairing makes sense.

At least from a sheer physical attraction standpoint.

-Pr-
I'm actually pretty happy with it myself; it's something I've wanted for a long time, even if I doubt they'll write it the way I personally would prefer.

I hope it's done well, personally.

CosmicComet
I'm happy.

Phuck Lois.

-Pr-
Issue comes out next week. That and Aquaman in the same week... The world is good.

Diesldude
Saw the cover, I like. About time, I just hope it ain't some kind of a dream or a fantasy. LOL I hated that one comic where they go with to Asgard and fight for hundreds of years, sleep on the same bed but do nothing.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Diesldude
Saw the cover, I like. About time, I just hope it ain't some kind of a dream or a fantasy. LOL I hated that one comic where they go with to Asgard and fight for hundreds of years, sleep on the same bed but do nothing.

Nope. Johns is quoted as saying the two of them together is the new status quo.

Diesldude
Nope. Johns is quoted as saying the two of them together is the new status quo. Hope so.. Should be interesting read, can't wait. When I was little, i saw the reruns of the super friends on cartoon network and always hoped superman and WW would get together. LOL

I posted the cover in the -- Superman vs Action Comics vs JLA

-Pr-
Hope so.. Should be interesting read, can't wait. When I was little, i saw the reruns of the super friends on cartoon network and always hoped superman and WW would get together. LOL

I posted the cover in the -- Superman vs Action Comics vs JLA

I saw. The issue is out next week, so make sure to pick it up lol.

abhilegend
This would last for less than one year seeing how MOS is coming out in that time. Its all but confirmed as another gimmick from Johns.

Oh and phuck diana, lois would always be the one for him.

-Pr-
Originally posted by abhilegend
This would last for less than one year seeing how MOS is coming out in that time. Its all but confirmed as another gimmick from Johns.

Oh and phuck diana, lois would always be the one for him.

Don't see where the "gimmick" thing comes from, tbh.

and the relevance of MOS, either.

abhilegend
Don't see where the "gimmick" thing comes from, tbh.

and the relevance of MOS, either.
"I welcome watercooler chatter". The more I think about it, the more I'm reminded about "I'm not an american anymore".

Did you forgot about Donnerman just before SR?

-Pr-
"I welcome watercooler chatter". The more I think about it, the more I'm reminded about "I'm not an american anymore".

Did you forgot about Donnerman just before SR?

What?

IIRC, most of that happened after Returns. And a few decades after Chris Reeve played Superman. Johns wrote GL and didn't change the universe to suit the movies, so why would he change Superman?

Superman on his own generates sales. It doesn't matter who his girlfriend is.

Lek Kuen
Johns is a fanboy who happens to be one of DCs premiere writers, I can't see him changing his stories to fit with the movies like some B lister would.

bluewaterrider
I'm actually pretty happy with it myself; it's something I've wanted for a long time, even if I doubt they'll write it the way I personally would prefer.

I hope it's done well, personally.

I don't particularly like this pairing.

I like the current Steve Trevor, and, if she WERE to have a big name beau I think Bruce Wayne the more intriguing choice for Diana.

Nevertheless, when I came across the following FanArt the other day, it DID bring a smile to my face ...

Parents, preview this for your kids. Kids, get parent's permission before clicking and viewing this ...

-Pr-
Bruce is with Selina. Period. sneer

NemeBro
Bruce should be with Joker.

You know it to be true.

-Pr-
Originally posted by NemeBro
Bruce should be with Joker.

You know it to be true.

http://i.imgur.com/fObAs.jpg

abhilegend
What?

IIRC, most of that happened after Returns. And a few decades after Chris Reeve played Superman. Johns wrote GL and didn't change the universe to suit the movies, so why would he change Superman?

Superman on his own generates sales. It doesn't matter who his girlfriend is.
Read the article. He "welcoms watercooler chatter".

Nope, it was just immediately after SR that they changed almost everything in superman to resemble SR from FOS to Jor-El looking like Marlon Brando to introducing Zod, Non and Ursa to clark and lois having a son. Heck, Donnor himself was hired to do so. Everyone and their mothers know that SR is Reeve's fifth superman film, Routh was just there to stand in. This is the company which created energy superman in response to a unfinished superman movie project and made constantine dye his hair black and move to Chicago when Keanu Reeves playe him. The reason GL didn't changed GL comics was because it was already based upon Johns' comic universe mainly "Secret Origins" with very few alterations. You are underestimating how much movies influence comics. Just look at Nick Fury Jr. All in all, I don't think it would last one year. At most they would break up in Trinity War.

-Pr-
Read the article. He "welcoms watercooler chatter".

Nope, it was just immediately after SR that they changed almost everything in superman to resemble SR from FOS to Jor-El looking like Marlon Brando to introducing Zod, Non and Ursa to clark and lois having a son. Heck, Donnor himself was hired to do so. Everyone and their mothers know that SR is Reeve's fifth superman film, Routh was just there to stand in. This is the company which created energy superman in response to a unfinished superman movie project and made constantine dye his hair black and move to Chicago when Keanu Reeves playe him. The reason GL didn't changed GL comics was because it was already based upon Johns' comic universe mainly "Secret Origins" with very few alterations. You are underestimating how much movies influence comics. Just look at Nick Fury Jr. All in all, I don't think it would last one year. At most they would break up in Trinity War.

That means absolutely nothing.

I think you're overstating it, tbh.

Mr. Rhythmic
So I read the new issue, and I don't get it: What exactly is the 'secret' of Superman's suit.

abhilegend
That means absolutely nothing.

I think you're overstating it, tbh.
Nope, I'm right as usual.

I was more understating it tbh.

-Pr-
Nope, I'm right as usual.

I was more understating it tbh.

About what? You still haven't made an actual point.

Based on what?

Diesldude
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc462/Diesldude/yeah.jpg

-Pr-
That must be the page DC were talking about.

Diesldude
Yeah, think so.

-Pr-
Hopefully Johns does it right.

Diesldude
Yeah, from what I've read they are going to pursue this thing and I can't believe it's been a year already. Wonder how the rest of jla will feel about this, especially HAL. LOL

-Pr-
Yeah, from what I've read they are going to pursue this thing and I can't believe it's been a year already. Wonder how the rest of jla will feel about this, especially HAL. LOL

Hal has Carol; I'm sure he'll be fine, unless this JL doesn't take place in present day.

PillarofOsiris
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/superman-pashes-wonder-woman/story-e6frfmvr-1226459532406

-Pr-
Nice. thumb up

PillarofOsiris
I'm not sure how good it's going to be. I would have liked a little more sexual tension, or courtship between the two rather than coming out of left field.

Newjak
Gotta say in some regards it makes a lot of sense for Superman and wonder Woman to be together.

There aren't too many people who can really understand what it's like to be a practically indestructible insanely powerful person.

-Pr-
Superman and Wonder Woman from the tail-end of JL #12:

http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/13054264_25.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/13054265_26.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/13054266_27.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/13054268_28.jpg

Newjak
That was a really well done scene imo.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Newjak
That was a really well done scene imo.

Same; it was believable. It's just going to take a little more to sustain a relationship.

super pr*xy
i wanna see the 1st arguement.. hehe...

Newjak
Same; it was believable. It's just going to take a little more to sustain a relationship. Yeah it'll be interesting to see how long or if it lasts.

Diesldude
Same; it was believable. It's just going to take a little more to sustain a relationship. I agree, how far will a relationship go if it's based on being unique. I hope it's not short term and if it is, I hope he doesn't get the same treatment Lane gave Clarke near the beginning of DCNU.

-Pr-
Yeah it'll be interesting to see how long or if it lasts.

I agree, how far will a relationship go if it's based on being unique. I hope it's not short term and if it is, I hope he doesn't get the same treatment Lane gave Clarke near the beginning of DCNU.

Johns did say he wants it to last a while, so IMO what he has to do is actually give them a reason to want to be together other than being alone. They need common interests, to be able to talk to each other etc.

It's not like the sex is going to be an issue, so they have to work on other things.

Zack Fair
Gotta say in some regards it makes a lot of sense for Superman and wonder Woman to be together.

There aren't too many people who can really understand what it's like to be a practically indestructible insanely powerful person. Not to mention them being alien to mankind.

Jim Lee's WW is ...droolio

Newjak
Johns did say he wants it to last a while, so IMO what he has to do is actually give them a reason to want to be together other than being alone. They need common interests, to be able to talk to each other etc.

It's not like the sex is going to be an issue, so they have to work on other things. It depends on where they decide to go with each character. I haven't read much Superman and nothing of the New Wonder Woman yet so how much are they like their previous versions?

I could see a good writer balancing their personalities out to match each other pretty well while still keeping them distinctly Wonder Woman and Superman.

Plus they already have one major common interest. Being a superhero for justice!!!

Newjak
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Not to mention them being alien to mankind.

Jim Lee's WW is ...droolio Yeah if I could find a real life girl that looked like Wonder Woman in those scans that's I wouldn't need anyone else big grin

-Pr-
It depends on where they decide to go with each character. I haven't read much Superman and nothing of the New Wonder Woman yet so how much are they like their previous versions?

I could see a good writer balancing their personalities out to match each other pretty well while still keeping them distinctly Wonder Woman and Superman.

Plus they already have one major common interest. Being a superhero for justice!!!

they're not radically different. Superman is a bit less "homely", in that he's not as experienced or grown up as the pre-reboot version. Diana seems close enough to her previous version too.

laughing out loud

You are right; it's not impossible. A decent writer can make it work; I just hope Johns is that writer.

Lek Kuen
It's all a setup for Barry to steal her

Newjak
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
It's all a setup for Barry to steal her Don't say such things stick out tongue

-Pr-
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
It's all a setup for Barry to steal her

She'd break him in half.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
So I read the new issue, and I don't get it: What exactly is the 'secret' of Superman's suit.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic

They still haven't really told us, sadly.

Diesldude
Eradicator? Just a hunch, not based on anything.

-Pr-
I'm just waiting to see how long it is before Superman knocks her up.

Just a coincidence that she's not a clay golem anymore? Or part of a plan?

PillarofOsiris
It looked like Captain Marvel is going to be fighting WW and Superman eventually. They better not make CM seem above Superman.

-Pr-
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
It looked like Captain Marvel is going to be fighting WW and Superman eventually. They better not make CM seem above Superman.

Billy will do all right, but I very much doubt Johns would make one look superior to another.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris

If anything, they'll probably be portrayed as peers physically with magic being the x-factor Billy has over Clark.

Which is pretty much in line for almost every Superman/Captain Marvel encounter ever. Nothing to get preemptively angry or annoyed with, though.

-Pr-
Will Superman take a dive this time too? vin

JakeTheBank
Well, some people seem to think DC has this agenda to make Superman less powerful and formidable, so who knows?

-Pr-
Well, some people seem to think DC has this agenda to make Superman less powerful and formidable, so who knows?

With Matt Idelson and the like involved, I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

JakeTheBank
Seems counter productive to actively plot against your flagship icon and the biggest name in the industry.

I won't argue against Superman being handled in terrible stories (some of them have been bad, even before DCnU, obviously) but a concentrated movement to actually make Superman look bad? Doesn't make sense. It makes more sense that writers just don't "get" the character or don't give a shit than actually wanting him to fail.

Philosophía
Well, some people seem to think DC has this agenda to make Superman less powerful and formidable, so who knows? Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Seems counter productive to actively plot against your flagship icon and the biggest name in the industry. It's not so much me and others "thinking" that they have that agenda, as it is the Superman line editor himself, Matt Idelson, stating it.

And as far as he's concerned, he's not "plotting against" Superman - he actually thinks that seeing him weak, beaten and self-doubting will get people who didn't like him before to like him now.

So it's not really bad intentions, as it is the fact that he's a complete and utter incompetent idiot.

JakeTheBank

jedi90
Hopefully Johns does it right.

what johns needs to be is smacked over the head with a wet phone book and never let near a major title again. superman dating wonder woman is like having the star quarterback dating the head cheerleader, so predictable and boring. instead of taking the characters and moving them forward for the next generation, he's moving them backwards because he a nostalgic azzclown

-Pr-
Care to elaborate?

jedi90
Sure,

the concussion from the wet phone book will help him realize that he's a crappy creative manager and should quit. i would keep jim lee but only because his art is decent, he would be forbidden to ever creating new costumes again.

the new 52 was johns chance to update those characters and make them relevant to today's times. his writing is like an out of control fan boy. you can tell he didn't understand the characters or their motivations. conversations in his book generally went like this:

Flash: what's your problem?

Green Lantern: wanna fight? i'll take you right now!

jedi90
oh and he turned darkseid into The Creature from the Black lagoon. just some back alley brawler who just shows up because.

-Pr-
...Was asking more about Superman and Diana, but disagreed either way.

SquallX
Why are people piss about the Kal/Diana thing?

The way John set them up wasn't the best, but one of the reason there character fits was because no matter how much Kal or Diana tries, they realize they can't have any relation with mere humans.

When was the last time you read a Superman arc that Lois was not screaming for help.

Those two being together don't have to worry about said weakness. Hell for the first time in forever, Superman/Wonder Woman can actually Earth shattering sex. devil

Anyway, i can't wait too see how there relationship start to effects the DCU.

Who knows, maybe Clark already has her pregnant already. laughing

abhilegend
Originally posted by SquallX
Why are people piss about the Kal/Diana thing?

The way John set them up wasn't the best, but one of the reason there character fits was because no matter how much Kal or Diana tries, they realize they can't have any relation with mere humans.

When was the last time you read a Superman arc that Lois was not screaming for help.

Those two being together don't have to worry about said weakness. Hell for the first time in forever, Superman/Wonder Woman can actually Earth shattering sex. devil

Anyway, i can't wait too see how there relationship start to effects the DCU.

Who knows, maybe Clark already has her pregnant already. laughing
Lois didn't screamed for help? Pretty much never from last decade and not one time since new krypton began. So, its just super-sex that matters, right?

abhilegend
If anything, they'll probably be portrayed as peers physically with magic being the x-factor Billy has over Clark.

Which is pretty much in line for almost every Superman/Captain Marvel encounter ever. Nothing to get preemptively angry or annoyed with, though.
Pretty much every fight disagrees with you.

-Pr-
Lois didn't screamed for help? Pretty much never from last decade and not one time since new krypton began. So, its just super-sex that matters, right?

No, but it is a nice change of pace.

JakeTheBank
Pretty much every fight disagrees with you.

Not really, no.

abhilegend
Not really, no.
The only time cap used lightning on superman is in Superman 216 and 9 shazam bolts after superman had a slight nose-bleed. In every other fight where superman isn't holding back he punks cap, the opposite isn't true.

-Pr-
Superman rarely punks Cap, if at all.

That said, I don't neccessarily see them as equals, tbh.

abhilegend
Superman rarely punks Cap, if at all.

That said, I don't neccessarily see them as equals, tbh.
Ahem*Action comics annual 4, JSA 34*Ahem.

Galan007
AC Annual #4: Superman was possessed by Eclipso, and Cap wasn't trying to harm him.
JSA #34: Superman was possessed by Ultra-Humanite /w/ Thunderbolt, and cheap-shotted Cap.

Anyway, Jake is right-- they are physical peers, with magic being the factor that tips the scales in Cap's favor... During JLA #29, when Cap two-shotted Supes, he stated afterward that he was only able to KO Supes that easily because Supes is vulnerable to magic. Same coin, during Superman/Batman #4 (their most recent battle, iirc) Superman himself flat-out stated that Cap has the advantage in a one-on-one battle, because his powers are magic based.

Blight
AC Annual #4: Superman was possessed by Eclipso, and Cap wasn't trying to harm him.
JSA #34: Superman was possessed by Ultra-Humanite /w/ Thunderbolt, and cheap-shotted Cap.

Anyway, Jake is right-- they are physical peers, with magic being the factor that tips the scales in Cap's favor... During JLA #29, when Cap two-shotted Supes, he stated afterward that he was only able to KO Supes that easily because Supes is vulnerable to magic. Same coin, during Superman/Batman #4 (their most recent battle, iirc) Superman himself flat-out stated that Cap has the advantage in a one-on-one battle, because his powers are magic based.

thumb up

Also dig the sig and av. That's not metron, is it?

Blight
Besides the engineer, by the way.

abhilegend

Not in the start, but he was going all out once he saw how savage superman was, he himself said so.

He punched cap in the face using superspeed, that's not a cheapshot.

That was a cheapshot and cap brought Luck, Magic and suckershot as to how he koed superman.

Superman said "He has an advantage due to magic". Anyway superman was weakened due to kryptonite and still caught cap's punch and threw him away, batman's kick diverted him and he was koed by impact.

They are peers only when both are holding back. All out superman is flat out superior than all out cap. We can even go by relative examples, kalibak overpowered cap and Ace knocked him out. Both have been oneshotted or twoshotted by superman.

Galan007
Originally posted by Blight
thumb up

Also dig the sig and av. That's not metron, is it? My avatar=FC Metron. My sig=an Engineer from Prometheus.

They are peers only when both are holding back. All out superman is flat out superior than all out cap. We can even go by relative examples, kalibak overpowered cap and Ace knocked him out. Both have been oneshotted or twoshotted by superman. I'll just post these:
http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/13198899_9.jpg

http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/13198900_10.jpg

...And leave it at that.

abhilegend
I'll just post these:
http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/13198899_9.jpg

http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/13198900_10.jpg

...And leave it at that.

Why galan, its too much fun.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_action_comics_annual_04_47.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_action_comics_annual_04_52.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_hammondtelepathy1.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_hammondtelepathy2.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_sb-04-18.jpg

This is a cheapshot? I thought this was called a blitz!

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_34-21.jpg

JakeTheBank
What do any of those scans prove?

Galan007
^ Nothing. However, this thread pertains Superman, so did you really expect him to make sense?

Regardless, trolling is fun, jake, you should try it. thumb up thumb up

Blight
Why galan, its too much fun.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_sb-04-18.jpg

This is a cheapshot? I thought this was called a blitz!

SO doesn't count, there was a batkick in there!!

JakeTheBank
^ Nothing. However, this thread pertains Superman, so did you really expect him to make sense?

Regardless, trolling is fun, jake, you should try it. thumb up thumb up

lol

abhilegend
What do any of those scans prove?
"Time is stopped but not literally".

abhilegend
Suffice to say that supergirl isn't more powerful than superman in DCnU

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_Supergirl-Zone-021_zpse83fde48.jpg

-Pr-
lol nice find.

Diesldude
Who else is in the news as much as this guy? Just recently it was him with WW and now it is reported on cnn that he is quitting his job at the daily planet.

Story

-Pr-
Who else is in the news as much as this guy? Just recently it was him with WW and now on it is reported on cnn that he is quitting his job at the daily planet.

Story

lol yep. Busy busy.

Mindship

-Pr-
I'd say it's more about just making everyone look good than direct comparisons.

Mindship
^ I'm sure, though I never really thought of Superboy as being especially "lethal."

-Pr-
Or Supergirl as being especially smart, I'm sure stick out tongue

Diesldude
Have been out of the loop, busy with work and all so the question, have they done the nasty?

-Pr-
No confirmation as of yet, though they only really got together in the last issue of JL.

Diesldude
Thanks PR. I'm going to take some tme and catch up this weekend.

Mindship
I couldn't get a copy of Superman #15. What did I miss?

deaditegonzo
Im sure everyone has seen his benching the earth's weight on Low energy for five days straight feat, and him going at least 300c in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

So, New 52 Superman has some better explicit on screen feats then Pre-52 Superman, just in the sense they show the actual weight he can lift, even when on low Solar reserves.

Question on Superman's magic vulnerability, in the Pre-52 universe there was a couple of times stated on page that Superman was over it (through Zatannas training i think), but then after that he is shown to be vulnerable sometimes still. So it was really inconsistent. Anyway, in the new 52 has Supes actually been shown to be vulnerable to magic? I have all of his titles out so far (#15 isnt out til this wednesday), and ive read his cameos and dont recall having seen any instances of magic vulnerability.

Dolos
http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/12465568_jl_03_009-0_copy.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/12465569_jl_03_011_copy.jpg http://s4d3.turboimagehost.com/t/12465570_jl_03_012_copy.jpg

Superman being the alpha-male of the JLA.

What else is new?

Mindship
Originally posted by deaditegonzo
(#15 isnt out til this wednesday), By me, it came out a couple of weeks ago. H'm...so maybe I still have a chance of getting a copy.

-Pr-
It's out today for most people.

Zack Fair
Need to get my hands on Superman 15 uhuh

captainx
What he's power ?

Mindship
Need to get my hands on Superman 15 uhuh I'm having a problem getting my own copy. The main comic store I usually go to sold out #15 a few weeks ago; and my emergency store -- which I checked out today -- went out of business.

This is why I stopped collecting on a regular basis years ago: too much pressure, man, to keep up, just too much... moodynuts

Zack Fair
And the pressure grows exponentially the more books you collect over

Mindship
I'll be damned: I stopped by my main comic store this morning...#15 was restocked!

Ahh...the pressure is off for another month.

suprimefbjiz
Reading all you fan boys, I realize why so many people hate superman. First off, Captain Marvel is the reason Superman is so stupidly overcharged. Since in the 1940's Captain Marvel popularity trump the dork of steel DC in a frantic haze started powering superman up to match Captain Marvel. A lot of DC characters started off more powerful than superman. Sad part is how DC sued Fachett Comics and brought an end to Captain Marvel for copyright laws. Even though Captain Marvel is nothing like Superman. I hate Superman for the fact that DC weakens the rest of their roster to make him the most powerful. Lastly Supermans powers come from yellow sun light since the sun light is only yellow going through the atmosphere of the sun outside of earth or in the sun itself SUPERMAN IS POWERLESS!!

-Pr-
Okay, you hate Superman. That's nice, I guess.

emporerpants
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's a goku fan and this is some of the fallout of the superman vs goku deathbattle. Could be wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by suprimefbjiz
Reading all you fan boys, I realize why so many people hate superman. First off, Captain Marvel is the reason Superman is so stupidly overcharged. Since in the 1940's Captain Marvel popularity trump the dork of steel DC in a frantic haze started powering superman up to match Captain Marvel. A lot of DC characters started off more powerful than superman. Sad part is how DC sued Fachett Comics and brought an end to Captain Marvel for copyright laws. Even though Captain Marvel is nothing like Superman. I hate Superman for the fact that DC weakens the rest of their roster to make him the most powerful. Lastly Supermans powers come from yellow sun light since the sun light is only yellow going through the atmosphere of the sun outside of earth or in the sun itself SUPERMAN IS POWERLESS!!

http://www.preparationh.com/sites/default/files/Preparation_H_Ointment_Main.png

Diesldude
Ok went out and bought all dcnu superman and action comics.
I'll post scans this week.

jedi90
Originally posted by suprimefbjiz

okay, i'll bite

for the most part you are correct. i was really hoping with the new 52 they would update superman's power origin and get away from that whole yellow sunlight thing, it's one of their dumber ideas.

Zack Fair
Don't see how it sucks.

-Pr-
Same.

Rao Kal El
I think is the butt hurt talking.

I side with him, superman should be powered by a more credible power source instead of the sun, like... the force. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mindship
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
I side with him, superman should be powered by a more credible power source instead of the sun, like... the force. roll eyes (sarcastic) This was something Yahman (? I think it was) and I discussed at length a few years back. I wonder if I could find that post. Basically, sunlight acted as an ignition for activating a more potent energy source, like spark plugs for an engine.

BTW, nice sig. I wish youtube hadn't removed the whole clip. Man that was fun to watch.

--------------------------------------------

EDIT: I found this, for what it's worth...
Originally posted by Mindship
One megaton yields over 4000 terajoules: more energy than the whole Earth will use for hundreds of years, at least. Seems to me, in order to survive a one megaton blast, one would have to counter 4000 terajoules with an equal amount of energy, at least.

Thusly...
- On a sunny day, the amount of sunlight per square centimeter yields 0.1345 joules every ten seconds.
- An adult male has about 1.8 square meters of total skin surface area.
- If Superman were totally naked, he could perhaps absorb about 2500 joules in ten seconds. He needs 1.6 trillion times this amount to counter the energy of a 1 megaton bomb (4000 trillion divided by 2500).
- 1.6 trillion x 10 seconds is about 500,000 years. This is how long Kal El has to sunbathe to absorb enough power to survive 1 (one) "typical" nuclear explosion.

To survive a 20-kiloton A-bomb (like the Fat Man, I believe; about 1/50th the power of a 1-megaton bomb), Superman (eg) would still have to absorb solar energy for about 10,000 years.

Rao Kal El
This was something Yahman (? I think it was) and I discussed at length a few years back. I wonder if I could find that post. Basically, sunlight acted as an ignition for activating a more potent energy source, like spark plugs for an engine.

I agree, like that whole reactor thing on critical condition.

BTW, nice sig. I wish youtube hadn't removed the whole clip. Man that was fun to watch.

Thanks, It was available last week, well that depends on your region I guess, in USA it was available last week, just check, it is still available

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbXx_kwc-gE

--------------------------------------------

EDIT: I found this, for what it's worth...

Thanks for sharing this numbers smile

Mindship
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbXx_kwc-gEI feel like I just absorbed yellow sunlight. Bless you, sir.

-Pr-
superman already is a reactor though. it's not a 1:1 conversion ratio.

jedi90
I think is the butt hurt talking.

I side with him, superman should be powered by a more credible power source instead of the sun, like... the force. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I realize this is your lame attempt at being a smartass but it is nonsenical that radiation from a yellow sun would empower superman while radiation from a red sun would totally nulify him.

So yeah, the force is a whole lot more credible.

-Pr-
They make about as much sense as each other, tbh.

jedi90
Don't see how it sucks.

Allow me to explain then.

The radiation from a red sun is no different from the radiation of a yellow sun. One is just hotter than the other. Solar power is also a weak source of power.

The original explaination of supes powers was that krypton had heavier gravity, when dc finally realized the flaws in that logic they updated it to "under a yellow sun" which is also funny since our sun is actually white.

-Pr-
It isn't weak with how his body uses it.

jedi90
They make about as much sense as each other, tbh.

Not really, the sun is a real object with alot of science data on it.

The force is made up, a mysterious power.

The sun light origin was given during a time when not much was known about the sun or radiation

jedi90
It isn't weak with how his body uses it.

Im not talking about how he uses it in comics.

I'm saying that DC should have used the new 52 to update his source of power. The yellow sun thing is dated/dumb as well as him still wearing glasses to disguise himself in the age of HD imagery.

-Pr-
Originally posted by jedi90
Not really, the sun is a real object with alot of science data on it.

The force is made up, a mysterious power.

The sun light origin was given during a time when not much was known about the sun or radiation

How Superman gets his power and how the force works are both fictional constructs in fictional universes. Superman having a nuclear reactor organ doesn't make any sense, but it's comics.

You might not like it, but Superman's powers have been pretty much stated to fly in the face of science on more than one occasion.

Im not talking about how he uses it in comics.

I'm saying that DC should have used the new 52 to update his source of power. The yellow sun thing is dated/dumb as well as him still wearing glasses to disguise himself in the age of HD imagery.

what would you have wanted? superman doesn't just soak up the sun in some blanket way. there's an entire process of energy conversion that occurs within his body.

and no, his disguise is more than just a pair of glasses.

jedi90
How Superman gets his power and how the force works are both fictional constructs in fictional universes. Superman having a nuclear reactor organ doesn't make any sense, but it's comics.

You might not like it, but Superman's powers have been pretty much stated to fly in the face of science on more than one occasion.

what would you have wanted? superman doesn't just soak up the sun in some blanket way. there's an entire process of energy conversion that occurs within his body.

and no, his disguise is more than just a pair of glasses.

Never heard of superman having a nuclear reactor organ, feel free to explain. The sunlight thing was DCs attempt to insert science and logic into superman so its open to scrutiny.

You're behaving like such a rigid fanboy, you're not even listening to what i'm stating. I'm not contesting his powers. I saying DC should update his power source like they did when his powers were based on heavy gravity.

I have the hardest time convinceing only comic geeks of this but i promise you if you became world famous acting shy with apair of glasses won't hide you from your friends, co-worker, and family on a daily basis.

-Pr-
Never heard of superman having a nuclear reactor organ, feel free to explain. The sunlight thing was DCs attempt to insert science and logic into superman so its open to scrutiny.

You're behaving like such a rigid fanboy, you're not even listening to what i'm stating. I'm not contesting his powers. I saying DC should update his power source like they did when his powers were based on heavy gravity.

I have the hardest time convinceing only comic geeks of this but i promise you if you became world famous acting shy with apair of glasses won't hide you from your friends, co-worker, and family on a daily basis.

I was going to reply to you and dig out the scan of his reactor organ, but then you had to go and act like such a judgmental ass, so never mind.

jedi90
I was going to reply to you and dig out the scan of his reactor organ, but then you had to go and act like such a judgmental ass, so never mind.

Judgmetnal eh? Why cause i don't agree with you? You're one to talk......

SMIFF-N-WESSON
Judgmetnal eh? Why cause i don't agree with you? You're one to talk......

Both of you quibbling over nonsense again huh?

Problem is fine gentlemen sound like a married couple. one of you makes a point, the other disagrees.....the other makes a point and the other doesn't listen. yep sounds like a case of agreeing to disagree.

Despite PR going out of his domain and calling someone a name, i'll reciprocate the argument.

Jedi90 is saying why don't they update the origin of Supermans powers....that question was not answered.

PR was saying that Superman has a nuclear reactor organ..well i never heard that one but hey it's comics, anything is possible.

Maybe Supermans limitations will never be settled and if they were, no fanboy would be happy, especially if someone else were stronger...like the HULK who obviously is.

Rao Kal El

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>