Why are so many intent on forcing their views upon others?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ascendancy
Yes, I know, overall this is a silly question but really I don't get it. Whatever you believe you are in the minority. Whether you're Christian, Atheist, Muslim, Agnostic, Mormon, Hindi, an Animist, Wiccan, Satanist, Mystic, or whatever else, there are billions who don't believe as you do. Why is it so important to belittle others if they don't believe in the same way? Even much in the physical, empirical world of science changes as time moves on, so why is so much that is beyond the absolute grounds for bashing others?

I ask this mostly because I'm hard-pressed to find a thread in this forum that goes on for any length without deteriorating into diatribes and other personal attacks. Can't we all just get along? =p

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Can't we all just get along?

Generally when one person feels that another person's beliefs make them fundamentally evil "getting along" is no longer possible.

Arhael
Because, when someone posts quotes like this:

It insults other religions.

Mindship
Yes, I know, overall this is a silly question but really I don't get it. Whatever you believe you are in the minority. Whether you're Christian, Atheist, Muslim, Agnostic, Mormon, Hindi, an Animist, Wiccan, Satanist, Mystic, or whatever else, there are billions who don't believe as you do. Why is it so important to belittle others if they don't believe in the same way? Even much in the physical, empirical world of science changes as time moves on, so why is so much that is beyond the absolute grounds for bashing others?
1. Death terror.
2. Divine humor.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Arhael
Because, when someone posts quotes like this:

It insults other religions.

Hey man, Allah was big man on campus in high school but we're past that now. It doesn't matter if you were a loser or a freak or a jock anymore. We grow up we change. He owns his own business now, you know, and has his own kids in high school I bet he doesn't even remember calling you a loser way back then.

Digi
It has to do with exclusivity.

"There are many paths to the truth" is not inherently inflamatory. But "Jesus is the Son of God, and the only True path to God/heaven/etc." is binary. If you truly believe it, then there becomes a right/wrong dichotomy, where - in your mind - you have Truth and they don't. You have salvation and they don't. You have eternal life and they...might (depends on interpretation).

At that point, if you're a true believer, it's your duty to try to convert them for their own good. The fact that most don't, even if they believe, just means they value social acceptance over others' salvation (or they haven't truly thought it through and just don't like the reactions they get).

Secondly, prosthelytization is built into most religions. Why? Because it's good business. Why do you think current religions exist, and not the hundreds that have died out? They're better at marketing themselves. And often times, that comes from explicit orders to spread the Kingdom/Word/etc. here on Earth. It's part of their mandate, and to them they're doing God's work. It's meme theory writ large, in perhaps the most persistent memeplexes we've ever witnessed in civilization.

So...simple question with a complex answer. But I agree, people can be d*cks about it. But to simply say "Why can't we just get along" shows a lack of understanding behind their true motivations. Such a plea, however sincere, is not enough to stem any sort of "turf war" over religion, or overcome their supposed divine duty to do God's Will.

Shakyamunison

I ask this mostly because I'm hard-pressed to find a thread in this forum that goes on for any length without deteriorating into diatribes and other personal attacks. Can't we all just get along? =p

Simple answer: because on the internet no one can punch you in the face.

Please keep in mind that this is not a religious exclusive problem. Many non-religious people strike out at religious people just because they can, and they get away with it.

Why do they do this? Because we are stupid and ignorant animals that respond to the world around us in ways that are selfish, unless someone is there to punish us.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Digi
It has to do with exclusivity.

"There are many paths to the truth" is not inherently inflamatory. But "Jesus is the Son of God, and the only True path to God/heaven/etc." is binary. If you truly believe it, then there becomes a right/wrong dichotomy, where - in your mind - you have Truth and they don't. You have salvation and they don't. You have eternal life and they...might (depends on interpretation).

At that point, if you're a true believer, it's your duty to try to convert them for their own good. The fact that most don't, even if they believe, just means they value social acceptance over others' salvation (or they haven't truly thought it through and just don't like the reactions they get).

Secondly, prosthelytization is built into most religions. Why? Because it's good business. Why do you think current religions exist, and not the hundreds that have died out? They're better at marketing themselves. And often times, that comes from explicit orders to spread the Kingdom/Word/etc. here on Earth. It's part of their mandate, and to them they're doing God's work. It's meme theory writ large, in perhaps the most persistent memeplexes we've ever witnessed in civilization.

So...simple question with a complex answer. But I agree, people can be d*cks about it. But to simply say "Why can't we just get along" shows a lack of understanding behind their true motivations. Such a plea, however sincere, is not enough to stem any sort of "turf war" over religion, or overcome their supposed divine duty to do God's Will.

That's the crazy thing. The Bible says to spread the word to all nations, but it also says let him who has ears to hear, hear. In multiple ways it says that those who are meant to understand and adhere to the word will do so. It's ridiculous how much of what fanatics spout isn't even in the Bible.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison

Please keep in mind that this is not a religious exclusive problem. Many non-religious people strike out at religious people just because they can, and they get away with it.

I mentioned atheist, agnostics, etc in my post.

The MISTER
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

Why do they do this? Because we are stupid and ignorant animals that respond to the world around us in ways that are selfish, unless someone is there to punish us. That's a damn good answer! So sincere! smokin'

Digi
That's the crazy thing. The Bible says to spread the word to all nations, but it also says let him who has ears to hear, hear. In multiple ways it says that those who are meant to understand and adhere to the word will do so. It's ridiculous how much of what fanatics spout isn't even in the Bible..

It has nothing to do with Biblical or not. Think about it. People who are "spouting" anything are going to be heard more. People who want to spread a message, any message, will work harder to do so. Religions that encourage this will thrive more than those that don't. It's natural selection of ideas.

Oliver North
It has nothing to do with Biblical or not. Think about it. People who are "spouting" anything are going to be heard more. People who want to spread a message, any message, will work harder to do so. Religions that encourage this will thrive more than those that don't. It's natural selection of ideas.

ah, if only "memes" hadn't become associated exclusively with LoLcats

Digi
Originally posted by Oliver North
ah, if only "memes" hadn't become associated exclusively with LoLcats

Heh. No kidding. Meme theory is freaking awesome.

Ascendancy
http://i.qkme.me/3586nd.jpg
http://neurobonkers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/science-is-interesting-science-atheist-richard-dawkins-relig-demotivational-poster-1288377096.jpg

Yes, I know that's not what he really said, but ya know...

Did you not notice that I was responding to a poster using a specifically Christian example?

Digi
Did you not notice that I was responding to a poster using a specifically Christian example?

Well, you were responding to me with the quote I then responded to. So...yes. I did notice what I wrote earlier, and also your response. My post was a direct reply to it.

confused

Yes, I know that's not what he really said, but ya know...

I'm not sure what the point of this is. But if you'd rather post random humor stuff instead of engaging my points as I try to address your topic, I'm happy to contribute to that as well:

Is07pVQakUA

Ascendancy
Ah, then I should say that I was simply responding to the Christian part of your statement, saying that the argument people like that make is invalid because the source from which they gain their "righteousness" denies wholly the very ground that they wish to stand on.

I wish we could just leave it all alone and make this world a better place. "Everything's awesome and nobody's happy."

Digi
Ah, then I should say that I was simply responding to the Christian part of your statement, saying that the argument people like that make is invalid because the source from which they gain their "righteousness" denies wholly the very ground that they wish to stand on.

I wish we could just leave it all alone and make this world a better place. "Everything's awesome and nobody's happy."

And I responded to this exactly, saying how naive I find this viewpoint, and why many can't "leave it alone." We're going in circles now.

Lord Lucien
Better than going in squares. They f*cking suck--circles are the only true shape.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.