New Warriors (Classic) vs Gen 13

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Who wins?

Q99
So, Night Thrasher, Nova, Firestar, Marvel Boy (Vance), Namorita, and Speedball, vs Fairchild, Grunge, Freefall, Rainmaker, Burnout? (Maybe Anna and Lynch if you include their support members)

I think.. . probably New Warriors in a good fight.

Q99
New Warriors have more bricks, but I think Fairchild is the toughest one on the field.

Space M ummy
Originally posted by cdtm
Who wins?

New Warriors, and it's not close. Their power levels (even early in the run) were MUCH higher.

Thrash isn't really much of a factor unless he goes nuts and shoots someone with his uzi, but:

Firestar is the powerhouse here. At first glance she and burnout have similar powersets, only she's an order of magnitude stronger. At high levels she can wreck the earth's electromagnetic field, and force open stargates. I'm not sure how a direct head to head vs. burnout would end up, but anyone else on that team would get burned to ash in short order. (not that she would intentionally kill an opponent.)

New Warriors era Nova isn't the powerhouse current nova is, but there's no one on gen 13 that can outfly him- combine his strength with his durability and flight speed and he's very difficult to deal with.

Namorita was basically Nova, with higher strength but slower flight speed. Namorita vs. Fairchild would probably be a fun match to watch for a while, until Namorita throws her into orbit or something.

Marvel Boy is seriously underrated as a telekinetic. At his best he was easily as good as Jean Grey was during the 90s Xmen run if not better, and Gideon used his powerset to immobilize the entire new warriors team *very* early in the new warriors run. He's capable of stopping anyone on Gen 13 on an individual basis, and possibly multiple members depending on who we're talking about.

Speedball is...hard to classify. There isn't anyone capable of doing serious damage to him, but NW era speedball had almost no control over his powerset. He was really only effective in tandem with another member (like marvel boy).

Q99
I'd think Fairchild's stronger than Namorita- she's actually stood up to Majestic before. Also, no throwing into orbit- Freefall's gravity control can both catch thrown people, and mess with other people in mid-air. She might slam one of the opposing fliers into the ground.

Burnout and Lynch both have telepathy.

Grunge depends on what he absorbs.

dmills
Damn cdtm just had to stipulate classic New Warriors lol. If people like Timeslip and Helix were allowed in this would get ugggly. I still remember the issue where Helix was holding his own against both Hollywood and Charlie 27. Good times.

Q99
Too bad there's nothing cosmic-y for Grunge to absorb. He can get seriously uber.

Space M ummy
Originally posted by Q99
I'd think Fairchild's stronger than Namorita- she's actually stood up to Majestic before. Also, no throwing into orbit- Freefall's gravity control can both catch thrown people, and mess with other people in mid-air. She might slam one of the opposing fliers into the ground.

Burnout and Lynch both have telepathy.

Grunge depends on what he absorbs.

Namorita's strength and durability are somewhere around Namor's. She's monstrously strong, especially in her later "blue" form, or if she's anywhere near a body of water. I'd definitely put her feats and fairchild's on the same level, silly business with Majestic Aside.

I thought about Freefall.

Nova's powers/equipment explicitly null out gravitational effects. They're not working on him, and he's the best flier on the team. a freefall vs. nova fight would last literally seconds before she's KOed.

And comparing her control of gravity vs. Marvel Boy's TK...I'd give it to Vance, especially if this is "I just got out of prison" Vance. They may also not be effective on speedball (because of his control over kinetic energy), depending on how late in the run we're talking about.

I wasn't really counting lynch as part of Gen13, to be honest.

Burnout lost his telepathy at some point, I wasn't going to count it- but it doesn't matter since Firestar's microwave emissions have been stated to totally disrupt and null out telepathic attacks. This isn't a one-off for her either, since Iron Man has also used EM skills to null the powers of Emma Frost and Moondragon (!).

There are numerous scans of Firestar using Microwave transmission to own not only empath, but the white queen who trained her. Both of those two are far, FAR beyond lynch telepathically.

Q99
Well if you're going to go for stronger forms of New Warriors, the same should be done with Gen13 too.

It can be used on other people, though.

Prep-Man
DCnU Grunge would own most New Warriors. He's been a beast so far.

Space M ummy
Originally posted by Q99
Well if you're going to go for stronger forms of New Warriors, the same should be done with Gen13 too.

I was going to go with the most "current" versions of the characters- maybe up until the stamford incident, since that's really the end of the classic new warriors lineup.

It's hard to say though, since "classic" wasn't defined. Are we talking the original lineup? including the later additions up to the stamford incident? it could use some clarification.

Leaving out burnout's telepathy is valid though, since it's a power he lost and never got back.

Firestar's microwave emissions disrupt telepathy over a *wide area*. it's not just individual protection. I mentioned also that Iron Man used that same technique (EM interference) to immunize the Avengers team against moondragon's telepathic manipulation. It wasn't as effective though, since moondragon is a ludicrously powerful telepath (she had enslaved a planet at that point) and Iron Man's EM manipulation is much less than firestar's.

Glorificus
New Warriors win.

Q99
Originally posted by Space M ummy
I was going to go with the most "current" versions of the characters- maybe up until the stamford incident, since that's really the end of the classic new warriors lineup.

It's hard to say though, since "classic" wasn't defined. Are we talking the original lineup? including the later additions up to the stamford incident? it could use some clarification.

It's not like the classic team was involved in Stamford, and also with latest versions, you get into stuff like Nova being unstoppably uber.

Ah, didn't know that.

Q99
Originally posted by Prep-Man
DCnU Grunge would own most New Warriors. He's been a beast so far.

He is something of a beast in the old version, depending on what he's got to copy.

For example, did you know he can do plasma?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.