KMC News & Suggestions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Badabing
Raz is back. We (mods) are going to post suggestions in the mod section. The mods have their own list of changes and suggestions regarding the forums. Most to do with merging/deleting forums which aren't used much, making moderating easier, new forums, etc.

I'd like suggestions from people for improvements to KMC.

Please don't use the thread to bash fellow posters, complain about mods, or spam with nonsense.

We may also be appointing new mods. I've submitted a list of posters already. Please don't ask who was on that list, or if you can be a mod.

Also, now would be a good time not to get reported or cause problems. There was some trouble in another popular forum with socking, spamming and bashing. This forum has been really good the past few months, with the exception of a few posters. So I'm not too concerned. cool

Cogito
IMO, the comic books forum should be separated from the comic book movies forum. I think that might increase visibility and make it a little more active.

There's generally some pretty good news/discussions to be found there, but I don't think many people look frequently.

carver9
Make an Anime forum where anime fts are separate from Manga and also make a "anything goes forum" where we can match up opponents from any universe, comic, movie, cartoon, etc, against each other without any fall backs. Also, make a thread for Wolverine, Hulk, and Captain America since they have been getting a lot of love for the past 8 yrs. You should also make a "don't get in Carvers way" forum so that if Pr challenged me, I can guide him to this thread and feel the power of banning him (only from threads made in that forum.).

That's it for my list.

srankmissingnin
Remove the Heroes and Smallville sub forums in the tv section and add Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

StiltmanFTW
Wolverine sub-forum in the X-Men section would be nice.

Badabing
Got this in a PM.

Cogito
I like it. People are often giving the thumb up anyways

iceman24567
Originally posted by Badabing
Got this in a PM.
thumb up
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Squirrel Girl forum. Also perm ban anyone who says Squirrel Girl loses any fight.
thumb up

Cogito
Maybe make a separate forum for scans rather than dumping them all in the Character Ownage thread.

Or a scan request forum

Edit: Kill the Comic book questions thread and make it a forum

Edit2: I'd like the ability to edit/delete my posts more than a few minutes after making them.

Cogito
Make some incentives for certain accomplishments (e.g. winning a BZ, poster of the month, stuff like that). Incentives could be bigger avatars or titles or gold stars or whatever with their name and stuff on the left.

Also separate the BZ sub-forum. I almost never look at it the way it's set up now.

Gecko4lif
Ability to edit posts

Also

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Remove the Heroes and Smallville sub forums in the tv section and add Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

thumb up

carver9
Originally posted by Cogito
Make some incentives for certain accomplishments (e.g. winning a BZ, poster of the month, stuff like that). Incentives could be bigger avatars or titles or gold stars or whatever with their name and stuff on the left.

Also separate the BZ sub-forum. I almost never look at it the way it's set up now. .

I like this. I also like what Bada put up from someone's PM.

carver9
You should also try to find a way to make it for new members to only be able to post 5 times in a day or for some hours, etc, and slowly graduate to being capable of posting more within 30 days or something.

Sin I AM
more mod presence...sometimes when PR digi and bada are gone the trolls run amuck, maybe u can give some posters limited mod abilities to help alleviate the pain of dealing with them

Cogito
^ Or just add a mod or two who's typically active at the times of day when Bada/Pr/Digi aren't.

jalek moye
Originally posted by carver9
Make an Anime forum where anime fts are separate from Manga

That's it for my list.

Just state Anime only when you make a thread.

As for my actual suggestion just for the other vs forums to be mroe open like this one and the movie one, to accept characters who long running game or anime, comic series etc regardless of origin. As long as the series is it's own.

Cogito
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Trouble is finding someone who isn't a douche or biased or a troll

Well, there's bias and then there's bias.

There's nothing wrong with Mods having an opinion, as long as it isn't an in your face, abuse of power, opinion.

But yeah, obviously you need to look out for douches and trolls. I don't think certain people who will remain nameless made it onto Bada's recommendation list wink

marwash22
Make a TV Versus Forum like there is for Movies, Manga/Anime and Comics.

jalek moye
Originally posted by marwash22
Make a TV Versus Forum like there is for Movies and Comics. I'd actually say allow Tv chars in with the movie ones personally.

marwash22
Originally posted by jalek moye
I'd actually say allow Tv chars in with the movie ones personally. either way. but that might make the movie versus a little cluttered.

jalek moye
either way. but that might make the movie versus a little cluttered.
*shrug* I just think they are close enough to be involved together. I also don't see the need for more VS forums and feel instead we should open the current ones up more to bring in new and fresh debates.

Badabing
IMO, the comic books forum should be separated from the comic book movies forum. I think that might increase visibility and make it a little more active.

There's generally some pretty good news/discussions to be found there, but I don't think many people look frequently. Digi is away on business, but I will note the suggestion. Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Remove the Heroes and Smallville sub forums in the tv section and add Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. That's a good possibility.I like the suggestion. Raz will have to let us know if it's an option.Originally posted by carver9
Make an Anime forum where anime fts are separate from Manga and also make a "anything goes forum" where we can match up opponents from any universe, comic, movie, cartoon, etc, against each other without any fall backs. Also, make a thread for Wolverine, Hulk, and Captain America since they have been getting a lot of love for the past 8 yrs. You should also make a "don't get in Carvers way" forum so that if Pr challenged me, I can guide him to this thread and feel the power of banning him (only from threads made in that forum.).

That's it for my list. I don't know much about anime or manga. I doubt there would be a new forum made though. I'm guessing it's something that would be noted in the OP.

We're looking into an anything vs forum. Last time I checked, most mods wanted it separate from the main KMC site. I agree with them.

My suggestion last time around was to have separate Marvel and DC forums where all characters, events, etc. could be discussed. Then have sub forums for popular characters.

You know there are 1 or 2 global positions opening, and Pr is the senior forum mod. You may wanna rethink some of those comments. biscuits

Originally posted by Sin I AM
more mod presence...sometimes when PR digi and bada are gone the trolls run amuck, maybe u can give some posters limited mod abilities to help alleviate the pain of dealing with them I noted in the OP that there will be new mods.

Posters do have limited abilities to deal with trouble makers: the report function and PM a mod.

Maybe make a separate forum for scans rather than dumping them all in the Character Ownage thread.

Or a scan request forum

Edit: Kill the Comic book questions thread and make it a forum

Edit2: I'd like the ability to edit/delete my posts more than a few minutes after making them. There's the respect forum, which has a lot of scans. We won't be making a separate scan forum. I could make a scan request thread though.

I doubt a comic book questions forum would go over. But I'll suggest it.

If you need posts deleted or edited after the time limit is up, PM a mod.Originally posted by Cogito

Also separate the BZ sub-forum. I almost never look at it the way it's set up now. I like this idea, especially with the tournies. But Raz is the only person who can make the changes needed for this to work. If I had access I'd have no problem doing it.Originally posted by marwash22
Make a TV Versus Forum like there is for Movies, Manga/Anime and Comics. We've actually brought this up a few times. I was all for it. I'll note this idea to the other mods.

Edit: I've deleted posts which are off topic. I'll continue to do so. I need the thread free of clutter to read through, comment, and pass on suggestions to the other mods.

Nihilist
Temp emergency mods to deal with the regular sock/trolls that keep coming bck.

The only ower they will have is to deal with these time wasters

Sin I AM
An actual system to declare winners in a versus forum thread. Such as punisher vs cable h2h for example. Once a certain number of posters chose who wins the thread is closed and mo longer discussed until new evidence to the contrary is presented.

Also immediate closing of copycat threads with minor or oddball twists such as wwh with Mjolnir versus superman and such

Galan007
Increase the post editing limit, or remove it completely. The 15 minute rule gets aggravating at times.

Weed out some of the devoted forums that get hardly any activity--the Matrix and PotC forums for instance--and replace them with topics decided on by the consensus.

More mods might be a good thing too, but even that has the potential to be a double edged sword. Remember, its about quality not quantity.

jalek moye

We're looking into an anything vs forum. Last time I checked, most mods wanted it separate from the main KMC site. I agree with them.

If it's a different site then is it really needed to be talked about amongst you mods and Raz? Just pm a poster you trust or one of you guys make it and then make a sticky post with a link to it in all the vs forums.

Just seems an easy thing to do if that's the consensus.

marwash22
Originally posted by Galan007
Increase the post editing limit, or remove it completely. The 15 minute rule gets aggravating at times. removing it completely would just lead to petty individuals editing their posts in effort to make it seem as though they never made a mistake.

Blair Wind
Increase the post editing limit, or remove it completely. The 15 minute rule gets aggravating at times.

Weed out some of the devoted forums that get hardly any activity--the Matrix and PotC forums for instance--and replace them with topics decided on by the consensus.

thumb up

removing it completely would just lead to petty individuals editing their posts in effort to make it seem as though they never made a mistake.

I can understand your concern, but you can't make a decision based on the slightly negative effect that it would pose. Other forums have a longer editing time and as far as I can tell it hasn't caused problems. We might have a lot of characters, but I wouldn't classify the majority of people here as "petty individuals". And with the quoting system we would catch a lot of that.

I think the pros outweigh the cons here. I've seen too many double posts simple because the edit feature cuts you off after 15 minutes. I'm with Galan on adding to the time or taking it out completely.

Galan007
removing it completely would just lead to petty individuals editing their posts in effort to make it seem as though they never made a mistake. Would petty crap like that occur? Likely so. However, usually by the time someone is called out on their BS, that initial post has already been quoted by another poster at least once--so it'd still be hard to act like you never said something that has already been quoted... Not to mention the posts you edit would still have the "last edited on" tag at the bottom. /shrug

Anyway, if there is one thing I've learned, it's that people here like to find loopholes in threads--even when the thread starter didn't intend for any of those loopholes to exist. Imo, extending the post editing time (or removing it all together) would be of great value to most people who make threads--especially here in the comic book forums. It would also be quite nice for those of us who make respect threads.

Cogito
^ thumb up

-Pr-
The Respect Thread thing is a fair point and one I'd agree with.

You know there are 1 or 2 global positions opening, and Pr is the senior forum mod. You may wanna rethink some of those comments. biscuits

I wanted it to be a surprise!

marwash22
Would petty crap like that occur? Likely so. However, usually by the time someone is called out on their BS, that initial post has already been quoted by another poster at least once--so it'd still be hard to act like you never said something that has already been quoted... Not to mention the posts you edit would still have the "last edited on" tag at the bottom. /shrug

Anyway, if there is one thing I've learned, it's that people here like to find loopholes in threads--even when the thread starter didn't intend for any of those loopholes to exist. Imo, extending the post editing time (or removing it all together) would be of great value to most people who make threads--especially here in the comic book forums. It would also be quite nice for those of us who make respect threads. good points about the thread starters and the quotes. I'm not actually against the idea, was just pointing out the potential problem.

JakeTheBank
I'd like if the KMC battlezone got a revitalization of sorts to encourage more structured versus debates. I like the idea of added avi's or graphics for tournament winners, too; more incentive to get involved.

DarkSaint85
But I quite like loopholes in threads - often, its a good way of calling out someone's BS, when they try to make bait threads.

I think a minimum number of posts before someone can create a thread, or maybe a minimum amount of time (so they need to have been lurking or something for X number of weeks) would be good. It would certainly help with all those spam threads.

Badabing
Originally posted by jalek moye
If it's a different site then is it really needed to be talked about amongst you mods and Raz? Just pm a poster you trust or one of you guys make it and then make a sticky post with a link to it in all the vs forums.

Just seems an easy thing to do if that's the consensus. We (mods) look at the trolls and fanboys we already have in each separate vs forum and shutter at the thought of all of them in one place on KMC. Any poster can make any site they want. But a few of us were trying to get it attached to KMC somehow. Originally posted by Nihilist
Temp emergency mods to deal with the regular sock/trolls that keep coming bck.

The only ower they will have is to deal with these time wasters It's been brought up but won't happen. As I told Sin, use the report function or PM a mod.Originally posted by Sin I AM
An actual system to declare winners in a versus forum thread. Such as punisher vs cable h2h for example. Once a certain number of posters chose who wins the thread is closed and mo longer discussed until new evidence to the contrary is presented.

Also immediate closing of copycat threads with minor or oddball twists such as wwh with Mjolnir versus superman and such We're not here to ref or decide winners. Unless it's a one sided match, or I do it just to be a dur, no winners are declared. And a flood of fans could make a character a winner despite any other proof. Some people just either won't agree or concede their favorite character loses. Use the ignore if that's the case.

Use the report or PM a mod if there's a duplicate thread.

The edit time limit will always be here. No other mods want it changed. Neither do I. The last thing this place needs is people editing posts hours later. As I said before, if you need posts deleted or edited after the time limit is up, PM a mod.

Mindset
Mod me.

srankmissingnin
REBOOT! REBOOT IT ALL!!! Burn it all to the ground! Post Raz Point, NuKMC.

http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/reboot.jpg

marwash22
Originally posted by Mindset
Mod me. we're trying to improve KMC, not nuke it.

jalek moye
We (mods) look at the trolls and fanboys we already have in each separate vs forum and shutter at the thought of all of them in one place on KMC. Any poster can make any site they want. But a few of us were trying to get it attached to KMC somehow.

I get the reasoning, and such wasn't disagreeing with it. Just saying seems a simple solution of making it an affiliated site. One (or a few of you) or someone you all trust makes a website with that as the purpose and have links on both this forum to said site and links on said site to this forum. It'll be like the sister site or something and if it catches on (due to be "official"wink it should accomplish the goal. Just what I think is a simple way to implement wanting it as a separate site.

Galan007
The edit time limit will always be here. No other mods want it changed. Neither do I. The last thing this place needs is people editing posts hours later. Well that settles that, then. stick out tongue

Cogito
The edit time limit will always be here. No other mods want it changed. Neither do I. The last thing this place needs is people editing posts hours later. As I said before, if you need posts deleted or edited after the time limit is up, PM a mod.

I don't suppose it's possible to remove the limit only in certain forums (e.g. Respect Forum)?

Newjak
Perhaps a Marvel or DC forums replacing the current Spider-Man/X-Men, Batman/Superman threads. I don't think those forums get a lot of traffic, and perhaps making it more generic would help increase that.

Also maybe an Indie Comic thread where people can go in and ask questions specifically about anything non DC/Marvel related. What's good, what's bad. Something to help the comic fan to expand their reading material should they desire it. stick out tongue

Badabing
Originally posted by Newjak
Perhaps a Marvel or DC forums replacing the current Spider-Man/X-Men, Batman/Superman threads. I don't think those forums get a lot of traffic, and perhaps making it more generic would help increase that.

I made that propsal a few times in the past, and again today.

-Pr-

I made that propsal a few times in the past, and again today.

What do you mean "I". sneer

I don't suppose it's possible to remove the limit only in certain forums (e.g. Respect Forum)?

That might be good, but not sure if it's possible.

abhilegend
The limit of images in a post should be increased.

Mindset
we're trying to improve KMC, not nuke it. I don't want you to leave the forum, but what must be done must be done.

Badabing
Mod me. Pr was totally against that idea. sadOriginally posted by -Pr-
What do you mean "I". sneer
I don't know what you mean. innocent

Mindset
Pr is a ginger canadian, why does he have a say?

Badabing
mmm

-Pr-
Pr is a ginger canadian, why does he have a say?

Because even if I was a ginger canadian, i'd still have more say than you.

Mindset
Reported for blatant racism.

Badabing
I'm thinking of modifying the rules to reflect some trolling happening here and in other forums. It seems people are purposely misinterpreting comics just to make their side win. Any ideas?

JakeTheBank
Lowballing and using PIS feats is already against the rules and the like so I don't know what you could do to further put an end to it.

It has become a sort of trend though for Poster A to say something Poster B doesn't like, so Poster B retaliates by trolling/lowballing the character involved in the thread or projecting a random argument to serve their own means. There's also the whole dismissing/warping on panel feats/narration that goes around.

I honestly don't know what could be done to change this outside of stricter warnings or temp bans, though.

xJLxKing
LET MODS HAVE THE ABILITY TO EDIT THEIR POST PAST 15 minutes.

Heck, talk to Rex or whoever. Let them allow thread starters the ability to EDIT their posts in respect thread. This way they can keep threads in order, organized, and awesome looking. I don't want to see another revamped thread because the last one got cluster f(((ked in 2 months

Badabing
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Lowballing and using PIS feats is already against the rules and the like so I don't know what you could do to further put an end to it.

It has become a sort of trend though for Poster A to say something Poster B doesn't like, so Poster B retaliates by trolling/lowballing the character involved in the thread or projecting a random argument to serve their own means. There's also the whole dismissing/warping on panel feats/narration that goes around.

I honestly don't know what could be done to change this outside of stricter warnings or temp bans, though. If either Pr, Newjak or I get to be global it will change. biscuits

I've read through the suggestions from last year and most are still valid. I will request some of them again.

A few of you wanted the post edit time limit increased. I'm thinking of requesting that also. I'll ask for 30 minutes if Raz logs on again soon. I don't know how well that will go over.

The mods all want the forums streamlined. With old forums either merged or binned and new forums taking their place. I really would like to see a TV forum. It makes sense.

Oliver North
actually, if it were possible to allow creators of respect threads a sort of indefinite amount of time to edit their threads, that would be nice.

I'm a bit of a control freak, so even the ability to lock other people from posting in a respect thread would be something I'd like. I know for myself, or even more for people like K-M, there is a lot of work put into these threads. If we could treat them like a work in progress that continues to showcase a character, rather than a hodgepodge of replies (or even arguments) in the thread, or reposting feats in a disorganized manner, I'd be into that.

My 2 cents, not sure how others feel about it.

EDIT: the nitpicking of on panel text is problematic too, but I would have no idea how to deal with that as a rule, rather than on a case by case basis.

Badabing
Originally posted by Oliver North
actually, if it were possible to allow creators of respect threads a sort of indefinite amount of time to edit their threads, that would be nice.

I'm a bit of a control freak, so even the ability to lock other people from posting in a respect thread would be something I'd like. I know for myself, or even more for people like K-M, there is a lot of work put into these threads. If we could treat them like a work in progress that continues to showcase a character, rather than a hodgepodge of replies (or even arguments) in the thread, or reposting feats in a disorganized manner, I'd be into that.

My 2 cents, not sure how others feel about it.

EDIT: the nitpicking of on panel text is problematic too, but I would have no idea how to deal with that as a rule, rather than on a case by case basis. We brought that up. I'd like the thread starters to be able to manage things. People are lucky I can't mod the respect forums. I'd seriously go prehistoric on some of the people spamming and trolling!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/kmcprofile/head_zpsa6c7fd8e.gif

Oliver North
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/kmcprofile/head_zpsa6c7fd8e.gif

and how eek!

curryman
We brought that up. I'd like the thread starters to be able to manage things. People are lucky I can't mod the respect forums. I'd seriously go prehistoric on some of the people spamming and trolling!

This was the main thing that I wanted to bring up.

People being able to more or less spam respect-threads with impunity.

The VS forum is a place where I expect things to go down, but when people can't keep that hate away someone's respect threads (hard work) then it really pisses me off :P

Zack Fair
A lot of forums need to disappear.

Never give Newjack the mod title. biscuits

Nibedicus
It seems people are purposely misinterpreting comics just to make their side win. Any ideas?

I think the best way to take care of this is to actually to give both sides a forum to scrutinize EACH "feat" and allow time for debates and interchange of ideas to occur til a consensus is arrived (via BZ judge votes or mod ruling, I dunno) after a set time period is given for said arguments to be presented from all sides. Once the the "feat" interpretation is properly scrutinized and debated on, THEN it can be added to the respect threads with maybe a "confirmed" tag on it or something. An "interpretation" freeze can then be implemented wherein such a "feat" will not be open to other "interpretations" up until new evidence comes up to disprove/retcon said "interpretation" (current interpretation is still used until the debate on whether the retcon/evidence provides suffiicent reason to have an "interpretation" change).

An entirely separate forum w/c scrutinizes "feats" prior to acceptance or confirmation w/in respect threads would be needed, however.

Such a thing would normally take time but it accomplishes 2 things: 1) gives ppl something new to debate about (this is actually my fave thing to argue about and not who wins in a fight) and 2) prevents ppl from repeating tired and old arguments that simply stalemate due to both sides having reasonable yet completely different "interpretations" of "feats".

My 2 cents.

pym-ftw
A few more mods or deputy Mods

A lock or temp ban on making new threads for people who consistently make bad threads.

thumb up on Bada patroling the respect threads

And I would love a pro wrestling board, I see a lot of fans already on these boards

Zack Fair
The Sports board is enough. There is a WWE thread there and people rarely comment on it.

Less boards is better.

KMC already has dozens of boards that have no activity at all.

Problem with too many forums is that people just get too split up.

pym-ftw
Thx ill check it out

Zack Fair
If possible get rid of all the separate movie boards and TV shows that are dead such as:

Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Terminator, Indiana Jones, Transformers, Smallville, Heroes etc.

The Spider-Man, X-Men forums rarely get attention. Superman and Batman too, but I don't want to incur PR's wrath.

There is a lot of segregation is what I'm trying to say. Just to get the point across; there are like 4 different Man of Steel threads in KMC

curryman
That's a very good point.

Keeping things from being too spread out is a good way to keep up activity.

ODG
Suggestion: fix the search function. Except for searching thread titles, my searches bring no results beyond March 2013. It's really weird.

abhilegend
Ditto for the search function. It only shows results upto 27 march and no further.

-Pr-
Yeah, we talked about the editing rules for Respect Threads already, as I personally have respect threads I won't put up until then (Aquaman, Pym).

And yeah, if they make Bada, NJ or I global, expect things to change sharpish when it comes to disciplining people. There's at least half a dozen names that could do with a short banning, tbh.

Badabing
Originally posted by ODG
Suggestion: fix the search function. Except for searching thread titles, my searches bring no results beyond March 2013. It's really weird. Originally posted by abhilegend
Ditto for the search function. It only shows results upto 27 march and no further. I've brought the search funtion up in the mod forum. We can only wait for Raz to fix it. sad

Oliver North
Originally posted by -Pr-
Yeah, we talked about the editing rules for Respect Threads already, as I personally have respect threads I won't put up until then (Aquaman, Pym).

I've got a list of characters I've been collecting scans for, but I'm totally with you, I don't really want to put the effort in if its going to be the same as it is now.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by -Pr-

And yeah, if they make Bada, NJ or I global, expect things to change sharpish when it comes to disciplining people. There's at least half a dozen names that could do with a short banning, tbh. Looking forward to that thumb up

Newjak
Originally posted by Zack Fair
A lot of forums need to disappear.

Never give Newjack the mod title. biscuits I'm okay with it. It makes it a lot more fun when people don't realize I'm a mod and than they try and dispute it with me stick out tongue

Global would be good.

xJLxKing
How come you don't have the title as a mod

Blair Wind
He hasn't been properly "knighted" by Raz. I hear it's a pretty private and ugly experience - swearing fealty and doing an unspeakable act for him.

Estacado
Editing shouldnt be time limited especially in the CB respect forum....oh and puting quan on ignore should be rule #1 on every forum....biscuits

quanchi112
Originally posted by Blair Wind
He hasn't been properly "knighted" by Raz. I hear it's a pretty private and ugly experience - swearing fealty and doing an unspeakable act for him. laughing out loud

Badabing
I've posted these suggestions so far:

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Remove the Heroes and Smallville sub forums in the tv section and add Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Originally posted by marwash22
Make a TV Versus Forum like there is for Movies, Manga/Anime and Comics. Originally posted by Galan007

More mods might be a good thing too, but even that has the potential to be a double edged sword. Remember, its about quality not quantity. Originally posted by ODG
Suggestion: fix the search function. Except for searching thread titles, my searches bring no results beyond March 2013. It's really weird.

Most of the other suggestions were good ideas. They would just prove too difficult to apply unless a mod was given admin powers, which probably will never happen.

Are there any other ideas for cleaning up the TV and Movie forums, or any other franchises which you think need added?

Branlor Swift
Post editing unlimited for the respect forum. It'd get dodgey for any other forum, but the respect forum pretty much needs it.
Especially with scans getting deleted by sites, and it creates clutter just adding one feat.

That's really the only feature I'd like to see added to the site. Everything else is up to the rules within a specific forum.

As for forums that need to be phased out, you just need to look at the post counts. Although I think some sections being higher up on the page would help with traffic. Misc for example.

dmills
Ditto on unlimited editing in the respect forums and increase the duration of time that we can edit in the other forums. 12 hours should suffice. Necro bumped threads are bad enough. Now imagine phuckers necro bumping and reincarnating their prior posts from said necro bump...

Nibedicus
I've posted these suggestions so far:

Most of the other suggestions were good ideas. They would just prove too difficult to apply unless a mod was given admin powers, which probably will never happen.

Are there any other ideas for cleaning up the TV and Movie forums, or any other franchises which you think need added?

My suggestion is actually pretty doable. smile

It will just require 2 things:

1) A Subforum in the Battlezone area that says "Feat Interpretation Challenges"
2) A rule that states that:

In the event wherein one poster wishes to challenge the interpretation of another in either a respect thread or vs thread with regards to his/her interpretation of a specific "feat", said poster may issue a "Feat Interpretation Challenge". The challenge is then resolved in the "Feat Interpretation Challenges" forum as per normal BZ rules. If the challenge is not accepted or if either of the poster loses the BZ, then their interpretation is no longer usable as any form of evidence/source within the VS forums and they are no longer allowed to introduce new interpretations of this specific "feat" for at least 30 days.

Any other poster who agrees with the challengee (not even sure if that's a word) may also accept the challenge in his/her behalf in the event that said challengee is incapable/unwilling to accept the challenge.

Seems doable and it will certainly reduce the "feat" argument standstills in the VS forums.

My two cents.

Oliver North
Originally posted by Nibedicus

In the event wherein one poster wishes to challenge the interpretation of another in either a respect thread or vs thread with regards to his/her interpretation of a specific "feat", said poster may issue a "Feat Interpretation Challenge". The challenge is then resolved in the "Feat Interpretation Challenges" forum as per normal BZ rules. If the challenge is not accepted or if either of the poster loses the BZ, then their interpretation is no longer usable as any form of evidence/source within the VS forums and they are no longer allowed to introduce new interpretations of this specific "feat" for at least 30 days.

Any other poster who agrees with the challengee (not even sure if that's a word) may also accept the challenge in his/her behalf in the event that said challengee is incapable/unwilling to accept the challenge.

Seems doable and it will certainly reduce the "feat" argument standstills in the VS forums.

My two cents.

I dont see how this solves anything though, rather than simply moving the issue to a place where it can't help but spill over again into other things

I, for one, don't really feel I should have to justify a respect thread I've put dozens of hours into because there is someone who wants to fanboy some part of it

Digi

My two cents.

Let it be known that we are now petitioning for a Feat Interpretation Challenge Forum.

Feat. Interpretation. Challenge. Forum.

FEAT. INTERPRETATION. CHALLENGE. FORUM.

FEAT...

Ok, I'm done.

But seriously, that's essentially what the vs. forum is 75% of the time.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Digi
Let it be known that we are now petitioning for a Feat Interpretation Challenge Forum.

Feat. Interpretation. Challenge. Forum.

FEAT. INTERPRETATION. CHALLENGE. FORUM.

FEAT...

Ok, I'm done.

But seriously, that's essentially what the vs. forum is 75% of the time.

The main difference would be that it would be a rule that limits said debates via period/post and sets rules/guidelines and judges to actually resolve such standstills conclusively.

I agree it's not an elegant solution but it does deal with instances where posters are just discussing one "feat" over and over again with no resolution on either side at the expense of the thread in question.

At the end of the day, it just introduces a "put up or shut up" rule wherein if one or more poster decide to just simply ignore the overwhelming evidence in front of him/her, he/she can simply be made to back it up in a limited post/period debate that can conclusively resolve the matter.

I dont see how this solves anything though, rather than simply moving the issue to a place where it can't help but spill over again into other things

I, for one, don't really feel I should have to justify a respect thread I've put dozens of hours into because there is someone who wants to fanboy some part of it

The issue of the respect thread is a valid concern. Perhaps only have challenges whenever a VS thread attains a standstill. Or perhaps such a "challenge" can only be initiated by a mod (who notices that a specific "feat" has been debated to death at the expense of the thread in question) who notices a standstill between two debating parties to resolve the issue?

pym-ftw

i can get where your coming from but if we have a Mod/Judge ruling on a feat it cant be challenged directly on the boards and will stop page after page of nothing but "fanboyism"...

Digi
The main difference would be that it would be a rule that limits said debates via period/post and sets rules/guidelines and judges to actually resolve such standstills conclusively.

I agree it's not an elegant solution but it does deal with instances where posters are just discussing one "feat" over and over again with no resolution on either side at the expense of the thread in question.

At the end of the day, it just introduces a "put up or shut up" rule wherein if one or more poster decide to just simply ignore the overwhelming evidence in front of him/her, he/she can simply be made to back it up in a limited post/period debate that can conclusively resolve the matter.

The issue of the respect thread is a valid concern. Perhaps only have challenges whenever a VS thread attains a standstill. Or perhaps such a "challenge" can only be initiated by a mod (who notices that a specific "feat" has been debated to death at the expense of the thread in question) who notices a standstill between two debating parties to resolve the issue?

It's cute that you're still taking this seriously. I like your conviction. Clearly it's something that rankles your sensibilities.

But I just think we should keep suggestions out of the realm of make-believe. No one - NO ONE - outside a select few on the vs. forum are in the same personal bubble that would make this seem like a good idea for an entirely new forum. Maybe talk to Bada/Pr, or just hold separate BZ's when you have a dispute...the BZ format should support a challenge of this type.

I don't mean to be a jerk. It probably sounds like I am. I'm just telling you this from a realistic perspective.

Oliver North

I'd be willing to say there are feats that are either clearly unquantifiable/hyperbole, or those that resort to crazy calculations that are obviously not what the writers had in mind (see the speed traveling feats thread), and for those, I'd almost say mods could straight out ban that type of feat, especially for vs forums.

I suppose my preference for more obscure characters is the issue. I'd hate to make a Starhawk respect thread and have a Thor fanboy try to challenge me over certain feats, when the intent of the writer is clear (just as an example). For stuff like Hulk v Superman or the more common debates, I suppose I see exactly what you are saying, I just try to avoid those debates like the plague. An entire forum dedicated to that seems like the cesspool of KMC I'd never want to approach.

long story short, I think we need to treat vs threads different than respect, and my biggest concern would be making rules for one type and trying to apply it to the other in a way that makes it an overall negative. To use another example, the Man-Thing respect thread I made is terribly biased in his favor, however, I'd expect a lot of that to be challenged in a vs thread more than a respect thread. Hopefully that makes sense? I feel like I'm all over the place...

Originally posted by pym-ftw
i can get where your coming from but if we have a Mod/Judge ruling on a feat it cant be challenged directly on the boards and will stop page after page of nothing but "fanboyism"...

my worry is more about respect threads than the vs forum, more because of the effort I want to put into them. I tend to leave vs forum debates when they get to that point, whereas I'd actually be really pissed if I had a respect thread that devolved to that point.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Digi
It's cute that you're still taking this seriously. I like your conviction. Clearly it's something that rankles your sensibilities.

But I just think we should keep suggestions out of the realm of make-believe. No one - NO ONE - outside a select few on the vs. forum are in the same personal bubble that would make this seem like a good idea for an entirely new forum. Maybe talk to Bada/Pr, or just hold separate BZ's when you have a dispute...the BZ format should support a challenge of this type.

I don't mean to be a jerk. It probably sounds like I am. I'm just telling you this from a realistic perspective.

Well, it doesn't really "rankle my sensibilities" per se. It's just that Bada asked for suggestions to address the issue of "misrepresentation of comics" and I simply brainstormed an idea. As per any brainstormed idea, it's seldom ever perfect or even doable. It's just a proposal to keep ideas flowing.

The "entirely new forum" is also just an idea, and yes, the BZ would be able address this just fine. The idea of a new forum is simply one way to keep it organized but is in no way even all that relevant to the proposal itself.

The basic core of the idea is really just the "put up or shut up" rule. People who continuously ignore the evidence presented in front of them should be made to face a BZ challenge or drop their line of logic in order to prevent derailing a thread entirely.

ODG
The only thing I foresee is two Superman fanboys battlezoning over whether Superman lifted a Multiverse or infinite weight and everyone subsequently rolling their eyes over the blatantly asinine false absolute being forced.

I'm not trying to sh1t on your idea, but I frankly don't appreciate having everyone else beholden to the arguments of two specific people (one of whom, or both, is invariably high/lowballing said feat).

This isn't exactly a forum-wide crisis that is systemic. The two people battlezoning a feat should have that battlezone judgment restrict them and them only. And if one of them reneges and brings up their losing argument again in some other thread, he can be reported for it with zero tolerance, as that is the agreed consequence.

And if they don't want to do a battlezone and they're committed to trolling a thread because they don't want to be cornered, just report them for ordinary trolling.

Oliver North
The basic core of the idea is really just the "put up or shut up" rule. People who continuously ignore the evidence presented in front of them should be made to face a BZ challenge or drop their line of logic in order to prevent derailing a thread entirely.

from my experience, those people will never accept a BZ challenge sad

Badabing
Guys, this isn't a debate thread or a thread to vent frustrations about fanboys. And we can't have a feat verification/challenge forum. That happens in the vs forum threads.

-Pr-
Isn't a "Feat Interpretation Challenges" thread basically "The Abhilegend soapbox"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.