Why people say that there is only one universe in greek mythology?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

thorthor
i mean many ancient greeks believed that there is an omniverse so i was wondering why people usually say that there isnt a multiverse in greek mythology?

Digi
Yer gonna need to cite some sources. This is about as vague as possible. Should we just have a conversation based on phrases that start with "well I heard..."?

thorthor

Robtard
Answer:

y9WxZRAYOlc

Symmetric Chaos

thorthor
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Not all ancient Greeks were atomists and not even all atomists believed in multiple worlds, the only reason we care about them is because we use a word they used and concept they had turned out to sort of be accurate. They were not the authors of Greek myth anyway.

Anaximander and Velleius were not the be all and end all of Greek speculation in this area, thinkers like Plato believed in a single world. Again, Anaximander and Velleius did not write Greek mythology.

yeah but they believed in them so to them it was real and i think plato wrote some myths

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by thorthor
yeah but they believed in them so to them it was real

You asked about Greek mythology not what a few philosophers though. For example just because Ray Kurzweil believes the Singularity will happen doesn't mean that Game of Thrones is going to end that way. The myths are the myths, the philosophers are the philosophers.

and i think plato wrote some myths

He dialogues, stories about philosophers having conversations. They are not part of Greek mythology although a few are part of modern mythology.

thorthor
yeah but they believed in them so to them it was real and i think plato wrote some myths

so there are myths which plato wrote right? that should prove it.

Robtard
just because Ray Kurzweil believes the Singularity will happen doesn't mean that Game of Thrones is going to end that way.

Do you have to admit that techno-dragons and cyborg Dothraki hordes rampaging through a virtual Westeros would be totally dope.

Symmetric Chaos
so there are myths which plato wrote right? that should prove it.

Did you just ask yourself for evidence of your own position?

And Plato believed in a single universe as far as I know but didn't write any myths.

thorthor
Did you just ask yourself for evidence of your own position?

And Plato believed in a single universe as far as I know but didn't write any myths.

nope he did believe in many universes and google plato's orphic universe

Symmetric Chaos
nope he did believe in many universes and google plato's orphic universe

Plato wasn't an Orphist. He seems to have actively disliked them.

I'm not an expert on Orphism, however, so why do you say they believed in multiple universes? Citations along with any quotes so I can see who you're quoting.

thorthor
Plato wasn't an Orphist. He seems to have actively disliked them.

I'm not an expert on Orphism, however, so why do you say they believed in multiple universes? Citations along with any quotes so I can see who you're quoting.

plato believed in parallel universes, and google plato's orphic universe and you can see for yourself

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.